New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default 4th edition PvP (WIP)

I really need help with this project of mine so, if you can, feel free to point out more issues with 4th PvP as well as possible solutions for them.
    The theme is the following; people are pitted against one versus one in arena-style fights till one of the two falls unconscious but they will also have a small army of constructs (minions) to aid them. The winner advances to the ladder till there is a final champion. This is really wip so any help is really appreciated, even if the help is just a comment about the minion's stats.

RULES
    - You start as level 1 character at game 1. If you win and advance to game 2, you become a level 2 character. If you win again and advance to game 3, you become a level 3 character. And so on. If you lose even once, you are eliminated from the PvP tournament.
    - If your character drops to 0 or below that you are eliminated and your opponent wins the game and advances to the ladder.
    - Available classes and races and items are those of the pre-Essentials era, including MM races.
    - Powers that target allies target you instead.
    - Powers that make opponents attack another opponent make opponents attack themselves (with an at-will power) instead.
    - You can spend an action point to completely cancel a blow from your opponent (opportunity action).

POSSIBLE ISSUES WITH 4TH PVP

- The edition was not made in a way to encourage pvp.
    - Single target powers are very good in comparison to area of effect powers.
    - Action points may be used to deliver one turn killing blows.
    - Essentials and original 4th edition have balancing issues when related to each other.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS WITH 4TH PVP

- Powers that target allies ought to target you instead.
    - Powers that make opponents attack another opponent ought to make opponents attack themselves (with an at-will power).
    - You can spend an action point to completely cancel a blow from your opponent (opportunity action).
    - Only original, non-Essential material is allowed.

CONSTRUCTS 4TH PVP

- Each turn a minion is summoned at each side of each combatant to aid them in battle. Minions have the same stats for both combatants.
    - You start with 8 such minions. You can have up to 12 such minions. Minions have your initiative and your level.
    - As long as you remain below 12, one such minion is summoned at the end of your turn to your starting position or next to it if the space is occupied.
    - You do not need to kill the minions in order to win; you just have to drop your opponent to 0 or below that.

HEROIC TABLE WITH MINION STATS

level: 1 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 16 attack: +8 damage: 4 (melee) OR 2 (ranged)
    level: 2 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 17 attack: +9 damage: 4 (melee) OR 2 (ranged)
    level: 3 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 17 attack: +9 damage: 6 (melee) OR 3 (ranged)
    level: 4 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 18 attack: +10 damage: 6 (melee) OR 3 (ranged)
    level: 5 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 18 attack: +10 damage: 8 (melee) OR 4 (ranged)
    level: 6 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 19 attack: +11 damage: 8 (melee) OR 4 (ranged)
    level: 7 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 19 attack: +11 damage: 10 (melee) OR 5 (ranged)
    level: 8 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 20 attack: +12 damage: 10 (melee) OR 5 (ranged)
    level: 9 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 20 attack: +12 damage: 12 (melee) OR 6 (ranged)
    level: 10 defenses (AC/FORT/REF/WILL): 21 attack: +13 damage: 12 (melee) OR 6 (ranged)

HEROIC TABLE WITH STARTING GOLD TO BUY EQUIPMENT

level: 1 gold: 100
    level: 2 gold: 200
    level: 3 gold: 300
    level: 4 gold: 400
    level: 5 gold: 500
    level: 6 gold: 600
    level: 7 gold: 700
    level: 8 gold: 800
    level: 9 gold: 900
    level: 10 gold: 1000
    Last edited by ARTHAN; 2020-11-07 at 07:55 AM.
    Post if you wish to ask about Ruins & Raiders. I do not answer to PMs anymore.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: 4th edition PvP (WIP)

Interesting project. No ideas at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Interesting project. No ideas at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on it.
    Updated! (with more rules and a table with the starting gold, but I will probably update those too in the not-so-distant future)

@PoeticallyPsyco:
    Should I reduce the defenses of the minions-constructs and/or increase their damage?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Powers which make the target attack one of their allies might not need changing since each PC has minions to hit.
    Warlords might have a power that lets them hit and command an ally to attack. (I don't remember). If they do, that could be broken as they hit and command themselves to attack, using the same power.... So double check for that before letting them affect themselves with that power.
    Defenders' marks will be less valuable in the same way leader's healing would be, though it could make their minions last a bit better, especially for paladins with a useful ranged attack.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
    Powers which make the target attack one of their allies might not need changing since each PC has minions to hit.
    Warlords might have a power that lets them hit and command an ally to attack. (I don't remember). If they do, that could be broken as they hit and command themselves to attack, using the same power.... So double check for that before letting them affect themselves with that power.
    Defenders' marks will be less valuable in the same way leader's healing would be, though it could make their minions last a bit better, especially for paladins with a useful ranged attack.
    About powers: minions are good but what about healing powers that only target allies for example? I strongly believe that you have to target yourself with all the buffs.

About Warlords: they indeed have powers like Commander's Strike and Hammer and Anvil but they allow for a basic attack only, so they cannot spam themselves. That way, a party with 2 Warlords would had been extremely broken.

About Defenders: Marks will indeed be there to make your opponent target you instead of your minions. I think Fighters have more broken ranged attacks than Paladins since they can mark the target with (let's say) a longbow basic ranged attack and completely surround the target with minions right afterwards.