Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default New UA Subclasses for Monk and Ranger

Way of the Ascendant Dragon and Drakewarden

Ascendant Dragon has an arguably better breath weapon than a dragonborn.

Edit: jaappleton started a thread with the same topic, so go there.
    Last edited by EggKookoo; 2020-10-26 at 12:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: New Unearthed Arcana 10/26/2020

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

One interesting meta-feature here is the "one (or more) free use" thing for the monk subclass. They only have to pay ki to use the features after all those free uses are gone. I kinda like that--it gives you a free use pool, but you can break your limits by paying a scarce resource. Not sure if it's totally balanced, but...

I'd probably apply the same thing to Frenzy. You get one (or maybe 2?) free activations, then pay exhaustion after that.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Wait which of us made the topic first? I AM CONFUSION
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2020-10-26 at 12:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New UA Subclasses for Monk and Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    Ascendant Dragon has an arguably better breath weapon than a dragonborn.
    It's a better AoE option than Sun Soul's Burning Hands too.
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2020-10-26 at 01:44 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: New UA Subclasses for Monk and Ranger

One interesting meta-feature here is the "one (or more) free use" thing for the monk subclass. They only have to pay ki to use the features after all those free uses are gone. I kinda like that--it gives you a free use pool, but you can break your limits by paying a scarce resource. Not sure if it's totally balanced, but...

I'd probably apply the same thing to Frenzy. You get one (or maybe 2?) free activations, then pay exhaustion after that.

(switched from the now-going-away other thread on this topic).
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    The artificer get that with the canons: one free one, then pay with a spell slot.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Drakewarden looks like a very fun subclass- I know that there are many players that would love to have a dragon by their side. I'm assuming these are too late for Tasha's Cauldron of Everything?
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

More features keying off prof bonus. Personality not a fan.

The drakewarden is interesting in that it takes the smoother action economy of the battle smith and adds a much cleaner way of determined prof bonus for the pet.

An aoe monk option is new(other than 4E). At 1 ki after you blow all your starting charges means the breath attack is pretty spamable
    Last edited by stoutstien; 2020-10-26 at 12:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Wait which of us made the topic first? I AM CONFUSION
    You posted yours before mine, I think. I did sit on mine for a bit while I tweaked what I was going to say, so it's possible I started mine first. Regardless, I'm happy to have this be the "real" thread.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dragon-themed subclasses are fun, though I think that always having the ability to switch to whatever damage type you want might be a smidge too powerful. Still, probably not a huge deal at Monk damage levels.

11-th level Rangers getting to swap out their third-level spells (or above) for basically a conical Fireball is pretty nice, though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    The drakewarden is interesting in that it takes the smoother action economy of the battle smith and adds a much cleaner way of determined prof bonus for the pet.
    I find this interesting: " If you are incapacitated, the drake can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge."

Just this weekend, our artificer got knocked unconscious and we weren't immediately sure what his Steel Defender could do. We decided to stick with the "rules do what they say" mindset and assume since the PC wasn't able use his bonus action, the Defender couldn't attack. I wonder if that'll be a change to the Tasha's artificer, to bring it in line with the drakewarden.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Big fan of the Monk, having a minion popping option is always nice and I like where they are going with the design of uses and then Ki when runs out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

The Monk is the first monk I am actually interested in playing for the first time is a long long time but the Drake Warden looks like it will be what the beast master was always meant to be, though I still have no interest unless they make changes to the core ranger in Tasha's.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I really love the Monk... but would it have killed them to base stuff off of Wisdom instead of your Proficiency? The Hexblade has made me hate features like that on principle. That being said, I do really like the "you get X free uses of this feature per long rest" thing, since it means that the WAD can actually nova (unlike other Monks).

The Drakewarden is pretty cool - I wish Perfected Bond cam online a little earlier, though, since being able to ride your Dragon Friend is half of the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

17. - Top - End - #17

I find this interesting: " If you are incapacitated, the drake can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge."

Just this weekend, our artificer got knocked unconscious and we weren't immediately sure what his Steel Defender could do. We decided to stick with the "rules do what they say" mindset and assume since the PC wasn't able use his bonus action, the Defender couldn't attack. I wonder if that'll be a change to the Tasha's artificer, to bring it in line with the drakewarden.
    Aye. I've made it standard for my tables for BM and BS pets to acted in a limited capacity if the player goes down.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Way of the Ascendant Dragon feels like someone really wanted to write a novel, but was assigned a subclass instead.

I completely agree - Drakewarden as a whole feels really good

As an aspiring designer, giving the companion a magical-damage attack from the get-go also avoids the boring "at X level the attacks become magical" ribbon... that is a nice subtle touch.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Aye. I've made it standard for my tables for BM and BS pets to acted in a limited capacity if the player goes down.
    How do you answer the question of, "if my pet can act on its own when I'm incapacitated, why can't it act on its own when I just don't give it an order?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I like 'em both.

Monk having a legitimate AoE option for a subclass, while not being too focused on AoE, is long overdue. I know they made Sun Soul but that one really never did much for me, as it was fairly limited in its scope. This one lets me take an attack and fire off a blast of energy. Finally we can have our anime monk!

Ranger with a drake? I dig it. I'm not into pet classes, I'm pretty well documented on being anti-minionmancy because I don't like taking long for my turn (Its a ME thing, nothing against other people using 'em), and who doesn't love the idea of partnering up with a dragon?!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like the "small number of free uses per long rest, spend class resources for extra use" model. I think something like that would have made the Elemonk a lot better at low levels.

The Monk breath looks significantly under-costed, doesn't it? I would probably playtest at 2 ki once you're done with the free ones. (Edit: hm, maybe not overpowered/undercosted, given the action economy? In a 5MWD, would you ever *not* spam this if there wasn't someone to stun?)

I am still deciding how I feel about Monk flight: not that it's too strong, but could almost be too weak given that running up walls and over liquids is coming at lv9, and Step of the Wind already doubles your jump distance. How many new things can you really reach? Neat synergy with Slow Fall, though.

Monk aura is cool. I'm a big fan of "help my friends" and letting them spend their own reactions for the revenge damage. A little bit of Absorb-Elements-style anti-synergy, in that it deals the damage you're resisting, which they are more likely to resist themselves, but oh well.

Monk capstone is cool. Why is the "can see invisible creatures" clause not redundant with having the blindsight in the first place?
    Last edited by x3n0n; 2020-10-26 at 01:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

How do you answer the question of, "if my pet can act on its own when I'm incapacitated, why can't it act on its own when I just don't give it an order?"
    Well, if you're around, your pet wants you to tell it what to do, because you are Smart and Good, and any ideas you come up with are better than any ideas that it has. If you're incapacitated, your pet is going to try to protect you (because, again, you are Smart and Good).
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

WonderMod powers activate! Form of: Merged Thread!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

20-foot cone for Breath of Dragon
    Should be a 15 foot cone to be consistent with PC dragonborn, I think. I like how the damage scales. I like free uses based on proficiency bonus 'free use but costs ki later, and but this does tend to leave dragon born in the dust ... maybe update dragonborn, or maybe scale this back a bit? (Yes, that was a deliberate pun)
    Draconic Disciple
    While I really like the damage type options, but I wonder if that's not a bit OP, balance wise? And the Intimidation or Persuasion check? Love it. Nicely thematic.

Wings Unfurled
    As written, I like this a lot. And if you screw up, slow fall helps you reduce the damage.

11th level feature.
    Do one, not both. OP to use both, I think. I'd go for the protective aura.

17th level.
    That sure is a lot of features.
    a. Just grand blindsight as written in the MM.
    b. I like the persistent damage.
    c. OK, you automatically have a wave of damage go out and the next turn whomever was hit takes persietent damage. OK. Is this in addition to or instead of the original Aspect of the Wyrm damage?
    More features keying off prof bonus. Personality not a fan.

An aoe monk option is new(other than 4E). At 1 ki after you blow all your starting charges means the breath attack is pretty spamable
    Yes it is. Dragonborn PCs will stare at you and grumble. Wait, here's an idea.
    Dragonborn monk. Name: Hal Itosis
    Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I really love the Monk... but would it have killed them to base stuff off of Wisdom instead of your Proficiency?
    I like the proficiency base, but base off of wisdom makes sense if we look at most of the other PHB classes. I can like it either way.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-10-26 at 12:59 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

The monk seems strong, but more importantly it seems really fun. At 6th level, you can grow wings, fly 90 feet, and breathe 4 martial arts die of damage onto the fools below you in an AOE. And then take no damage from the fall because Slow Fall. That's ridiculously awesome.

I like the "x free uses then cost" thing, really encourages you to make use of your subclass, even when there's a mechanically superior thing to do.

Drakewarden is yet another "beastmaster but we didn't screw it up this time" UA. Always welcome in my book. It's funny that if your drake keeps dying you can keep summoning a new one to swoop on in. It makes me think that there's a magic aircraft carrier of drakes just off screen, who all think you're really cool but only appear one at a time to help because they don't want to make it awkward. At level 5 you'd have 7 potential drakes just waiting in the wings to step in and help out at the right calling whistle!

And I love that the capstone is "ya boi go bigger". the puppy is all grown up.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    WonderMod powers activate! Form of: Merged Thread!
    Thank you kindly!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Ranger with a drake? I dig it. I'm not into pet classes, I'm pretty well documented on being anti-minionmancy because I don't like taking long for my turn (Its a ME thing, nothing against other people using 'em), and who doesn't love the idea of partnering up with a dragon?!
    I'm guessing that if that one goes live, it will be a very popular option for my new players. Who all seem to like dragons.

And if I were still running high school games, it would be everywhere, like some kind of scaly plague.

28. - Top - End - #28

Theatrically they can flavor however they wish. As far as crunch it basically a gentleman's agreement. They are welcome to use the RaW version as well.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Should be a 15 foot cone to be consistent with PC dragonborn, I think.
    Counterargument: The Dragonborn breath weapon should be a 20ft cone. Because that's actually more proportionate than halving the line's length (the volume of a cone is based off of 2/3rds of the height, after all).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

I have to think about the Way of the Ascendant Dragon. I may like it too much.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!