New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Will the Silence effect on Greyview screw up Team Evil's spells?

This is of course assuming that the area behind this particular door was not actually cleared and they find themselves fighting something when Greyview reaches them.

Also I'm pretty sure it'll just be a minor blip, if that; Greyview seems more than intelligent enough to figure out an alternative mode of communication once he's within Oona's darkvision range. But I find the idea of Redcloak's/Xykon's spells suddenly not working in the fact of a threatening opponent turning a few gears in their heads (and also kinda funny).
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Will the Silence effect on Greyview screw up Team Evil's spells?

My guess is that we might see a callback gag ("your dumb dog ran in here with a silence, i had to remember if i took silent spell or not") but that dedicating frames to such a minor snag would be more a distraction than anything else

3. - Top - End - #3

Most likely.

...also wow, I guess this wasn't as interesting as I thought when I made this. Whoops!
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

4. - Top - End - #4

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Will the Silence effect on Greyview screw up Team Evil's spells?

20% miss chance on spells. Sneak attack will be harder to hear coming. Not much of hindrance.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

5. - Top - End - #5

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    20% miss chance on spells. Sneak attack will be harder to hear coming. Not much of hindrance.
    I'm, think you're mixing up Silence with Deafness? In 3.5 at least, no spell with a verbal component can be cast in an area of silence, no save (Durkon bypassed the caveat on the save). Also sneak attacks are impossible to hear coming (I once heard of a party who, faced with some sleeping giants, cast silence on the rogue and gave him a scythe to coup de gras them all.) but that wouldn't be the biggest hindrance to primary casters (Unless Redcloak prepared spells with the Silent Spell metamagic feat, he wouldn't be able to cast *anything* while next to Greyview. Xykon could adapt a spell on the fly if he had the feat, but there's no evidence he has that feat.

6. - Top - End - #6

AssassinGuy

My guess would be; yes, but not for long. As soon as they work out that the spell has been cast on him, they'll have him back up to a safe distance and Dispel it. Sign language, charades, or maybe physically dragging him by the scruff of the neck might be involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

7. - Top - End - #7

I suspect they'll be in a pitched battle, and Xykon will have to waste an epic spell slot on superb dispelling to get rid of this 2nd-level silence spell. After all, Redcloak mentioned that spell for a reason. This could be just the trick the Order needs to burn off some of Xykon's top-tier magic before the final battle.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.