New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default What Type of Entity is a Hexblade Patron?

I've got my first game ever starting in 2 weeks, and right now I'm putting together various concepts for the character I want to play. Right now, I've found myself stuck between choosing either Shadow Magic Sorcerer and Hexblade Warlock, but in regards to the latter, I realize I have no idea what a "Hexblade" really is.

If your patron is a fiend, you've made a pact with a devil or demon; if your patron is an Archfey, you've allied with a king or queen of fairies; so on and so on. But a Hexblade? What kind of being is that supposed to be? Read as worded in XGTE, a Hexblade is a spirit of the Shadowfell (which may or may not specifically be the Raven Queen) that for some reason likes to spend its time making sentient weapons made out of pseudo-matter from the plane... which totally fits into the Shadowfell's themes of darkness, cold, undeath and doom, right?

I don't think a single notable entity from the Shadowfell has ever been credited in existing lore with making a living shadow weapon (except Vecna when he made the Sword of Kas, but I think that was unintentional). Other than that, we know Hexblades are masters of curses and dark arts, and while lots of Shadowfell entities are associated with this, Feywild hags are just as much so.

This became more of a rant than I expected, so let me get to the point: what are some possible non-Raven Queen candidates for a Hexblade patron?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: What Type of Entity is a Hexblade Patron?

The Grim Reaper?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Closed Account

In reality, you have Carte Blanche to make any Patron work.

The Hexblade subclass certainly fits my view of a protege of Grazzt for example.

An organization like the Blades from the Elder Scroll games could have sworn some oaths to a mystical being for some secrets of Eldritch swordplay.

The Queen of Woe could be an Unseelie Court-like figure...perhaps a banished figure, and the Queen of Woe has dubbed your character her Knight Champion of Woe.

Baba Yaga or any Hag could work as a Hexblade patron if you play up the Hex angle.

If you do select the Grim Reaper, be an acolyte of the Cult of the Blue Oyster.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Thunderous Mojo has hit the nail on the head with this, while the books suggest shadowfell, there's very little identity restriction force hexblade to be a particular type of patron.
    Thematically it's easy to just pass of Hexblades as "Pact of the Blade, the subclass", just treating the whole kit as just a different flavour of pact and go with any patron you feel works best for the story you want the character to be a part of.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Hexblade has a crappy patron explanation since it's exceptionally vague, doesn't overall fit the Shadowfell, and they only mention the Raven Queen because they didn't end up going through with her unique Warlock subclass. Basically they shoved two subclass ideas together, but the only thing about it that actually fits the default lore is Accursed Specter. Personally, I prefer when people go for something like intelligent weapons or something from Acheron (or another war-like plane) for a patron. At least those fit the actual focus of the subclass as the warrior-lock.

Edit: For my money, if your setting has a plane like some depictions of Valhalla, maybe you made a deal with a Valkyrie or a similar warrior's psychopomp to occasionally borrow the foes you've killed before they meet their reward (Accursed Specter) while also being made a better warrior (everything else).
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-10-27 at 01:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I think that one heavily implied option is that, like Stormbringer, Frostmourne, Armageddon's Blade or (for a non-evil example) at least some portrayals of Excalibur, the "pact" is with the blade itself; while the circumstances of the blade's creation may influence the rules and intents heavily, the core relationship is between the blade (which lends the user not just its steel but its power) and the user (who lets the blade claim himself, and change himself).

That said, it's not that well-supported by the mechanics. And apparently someone in WoTC realised that, too; hence the incredibly vague write-up that simultaneously tries to play up the "blade itself is a patron" angle, the "blade is a (meta)physical representation of the pact, which is made with any non-descript entity" angle and the "shadowfell edgy something we just want to reference Blackrazor even though actual Blackrazor doesn't work like that" angle.

Just pick something that makes sense.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

To everyone i played with in a certain campaign: i'm sorry i've dropped off without a warning, but a sudden case of twin daughers is a very solid reason, trust me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

First, you're not limited to the Raven Queen, as the book suggests - some players think it's a limitation, it isn't.

You can have any patron you want as a hexblade. It doesn't have to be evil, either, though that's harder to make sense of.

My lawful good silver dragonborn pal in Curse of Strahd was really struggling, so I one-dipped a level of hexblade to focus on Charisma and use that as my main combat stat - and got shield spell - total game changer. But I didn't do it til we learned about

...warning COS spoiler below

--

--- Argonvost or w/w his name is, the silver dragon that Strahd killed - and his spirt is stuck there. That became my patron. Now being hexblade made sense - he was a lawful good silver dragon, but his tortured spirit was trapped in Bavaria, a shadowfull like place - so of course his magic would be twisted. My char's mission was not only to kill Strahd, it was also to free his patron's spirit from agony - also this dragon is an ancestor of my char, which explains why he got drawn into Bavaria in the first place. I love how that worked out.

So look, a Sprite - a really mean little battle-hardened Sprite with attitude - could be your hexblade patron, if you want. Or a battle-mage armored sword-wielding lich - or w/e you want. It's usually not a god, a patron - it's a demon, a devil, a fey (a hag or a good one) - a celestial, like a unicorn or a Deva - whatever you like, as long as it's basically magical - go crazy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I'm about to start a campaign with an Hexblade, with carte blanche from the DM. I've took the inspiration from my patron from the Xanathar's tables:

Patron Attitudes
    3 -> Your patron is the spirit of a long-dead hero who see your pact as a way to continue to influence the world.
    => I've kept the idea that my patron used to be a mortal, and transcended into some sort of immortality, but doesn't have as much impact on the material world post-mortem as he wants to.

Special Terms
    5 -> You can never wear the same outfit twice, since your patron finds such predictability to be boring.
    => I've kept the spirit of this term: my patron is eccentric and bored.

From this, I've decided that my Patron was an aristocrat, and very powerful Sorcerer, who tried to study, recreate and use some Shadowfel relics to reach immortality. He was recently eliminated by a group of heros, and his spirit was send to Shadowfel, only keeping a spiritual link to the little cult he created to venerate himself while he was still alive. I was a prominent member of this cult, and is now one of the few remaining bond he has with the material plane.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

That is the question isn’t it.

Congratulations, my friend, you have just stumbled onto the first of many reasons why people hate the hexblade.

Personally, I see the celestial-fiend pairing, the old one as the “other” and hexblade as out of place. So, I refluff/rebuild hexblade to be the shadow patron, to act as the counterpoint to the archfey. But how to do this?

First, move hex warrior to pact of blade, where it always should have been. Next, change the hexblade spell list to be more curse focused (such as slow, bane, and geas, that sort of thing)
    Change the names to shadow stuff (hexblades curse to shadowy curse) and you now have yourself very easy patron fluff, a pretty good subclass, and such.

A note for the people who don’t like the hexblades curse due to its prof bonus extra damage, change it too your warlock spell level, and impose a rider effect when the warlock starts getting mystic arcanum.
    When I ask how to get a nail out of piece of wood, please don't tell me why screws are better fastners.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Roc-rocks fall fall and everybody dies-dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    Acid comes in a burlap sack, arrows come in a vase
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Newton's 3rd law of motion seems to apply in 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Weaponized chickens will be fed ball bearings. When ready to use, feed them a potion of alche-seltzer, then toss at enemy. Cruel, but effective.

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

It is a pretty bland and flavorless patron.

On the other hand, that makes reflavoring it easy. Well, but for that stupid level 6 feature.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

It really comes down to what fits in your DM's game, because the written fluff is as ephemeral as unseelie fairy farts.

My recommendations are look at things thematic to Curse, War, and Darkness.

The Dark Powers (note the capitalization) behind the old Ravenloft setting certainly fit the overall profile, but this will require a roleplay hook - you need to have a flaw in character that essentially traps you in your behavior patterns - making the same bad (but not necessarily dangerous) decision over and over. Hubris is also popular here. The long game is either you sort yourself out, or you become a Dread Power trapped in your own pocket dimension.

Entities of Darkness/Shadows. Anything with the general feel of grim badness. Something in the vein of shadow demons. I created an entity known as Cremnos, of Flame and Shadow (No Balor like an old school Balrog) that fit... okay. A particularly fun idea in this line is Tenebrous, Shadow Vestige. It works fairly well with the Hexblades tricks given that Tenebrous was Orcus.

Agents of Fortune (just for you, Thunderous Mojo). Basically the Celestial Patron, only for Chaos. This plays well to hexing, cursing, and probability aspects of the class. Your patron is a guy who knows a guy who is Mask, Loki, Arioch, etc.

Psychopomp. The other side of the Raven Queen Patron. Before they changed the Lore, TRQ was a death goddess, harboring and shuffling souls of the departed. Your patron guards the dead, you have powers aligned to death and fate, but you are not necessarily pro-death (and in fact may be anti-undead - your wraith is merely "borrowing" a soul before sending it on). This is the Grim Reaper / Valkyrie / Anubis / Ferryman / Samedi route.

Depends on how you define "weapon". If you want to lean into the Hex Warrior aspect, your patron could be a powerful, sentient weapon. Obviously you don't have this powerful weapon, but retrieving it is on your to-do list, if appropriate. Or it could be depowered, and it is feeding you knowledge and a wisp of power to help you bring it to its formal hideous strength. But weapon is a broad concept. Maybe there is an ultra-powerful Warforged Colossus or sentient Walking Statue that requires a catspaw of sorts, since it is basically immobilized. Maybe it's a super-dimensional weapons platform, channeling you knowledge and power (and if you go the Blade route, beaming you weapons). maybe it's a Living Spell - a 10th level Bestow Curse that requires a mortal agent as part of fulfilling its purpose - Spear of Aurakles style.
    Last edited by Joe the Rat; 2020-10-27 at 09:02 AM.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You are open to call it anything. You could use any Archfey, GOO, Fiend or Celestial. I've used minor gods.

My favorite is a character that found a magic weapon. They are just a plain, not very good fighter - medium armor, martial weapons, d8 hit die. Everything else is part of the magic sword. Subclass abilities, invocations, and spells, even the character's feats were reflavored as powers of the ancient sword. This works better after level 3 when you get improved pact weapon and can summon the sword if you lose it. Leveling up is the character discovering more powers of the sword.

Spoiler: Sword of Amberace at level 4 with a bonus feat
    Show
    Sword of Amberace

Requires Attunement by a descendent of Amberace Tylocostathan.

While attuned to the Sword, the bearer gains the following benefits.
    • The Sword has a +1 bonus to its attack and damage rolls.
    • You can use Charisma for attack and damage rolls with the Sword.
    • Your speed increases by 10 feet. When you use the Dash action, difficult terrain doesn't cost you extra movement on that turn. When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don't provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.
    • You can use your action to summon the Sword in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this weapon takes each time you create it. You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
    • The Sword disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die. You can conjure the Sword in any weapon form, including any melee weapon or a shortbow, longbow, light crossbow, or heavy crossbow.

Spellcasting:

• You can use the Sword as a spellcasting focus and can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
    • While attuned to the Sword, even if it isn’t in your possession, you can cast False Life (1st level) and the following cantrips at will: Eldritch blast, booming blade, and prestidigitation.
    • You have 2 spell slots of 2nd level and can cast the following spells: Armor Of Agathys, Hex, Shatter, Suggestion, Misty Step. Charisma is your spellcasting modifier. You recover this ability on a short or long rest.
    • You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
    • When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature.

Dragon’s Curse:

The Sword can curse one enemy for death. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus equal your proficiency bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target.
    • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.
    • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

(This is what the sword would look like as a magic item. It covers Warlock, Hexblade, Invocations, Spells, Mobile and Warcaster Feats)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Seeing the proposed number of played character in this sub with an hexblade dip, I would wager that the hexblade patron is a very sad extraplanar entity, always signing new contract with brand new warlocks that promptly ignore her/him/it after a couple of warlock's level, never returning his/her calls.

But he/she/it as a dream. One day he/she/it will build and army of absurdly overpowered 2-level dip hexblade warlocks. An ocean of souls fighting as one against sensible and roleplaying driven character builds. Together they will conquer the whole multiverse.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMoon250 View Post
    This became more of a rant than I expected, so let me get to the point: what are some possible non-Raven Queen candidates for a Hexblade patron?
    Ditto to all that imply it is bland, poorly tied to Raven Queen, and overall unsatisfying. One of those places where I wish they'd just flat out said 'this is a system patch.'

Regardless, personally I'd go one of two ways, depending on whether you want to focus on the hex or the blade part of the lore. For the blade, I'd go for having a patron be the Spirit of War, the rush of adrenaline, the thunderous drumbeat of your heart beating in your ears when you are fighting (literally) to keep that heart beating. For the Hex, I think Babba Yaga, Norns, or whatever mystic (non-deific) force might give oracles their visions. Maybe whatever gives Maleficent or the Wicked Witch of the West their powers.

15. - Top - End - #15

Personally, I'm pretty happy with having it be the Raven Queen; lore about her suggests one of her spheres of influence is making sure the dead stay dead, which naturally puts her in opposition with sentient Undead.

My Paladin is obsessed with battling evil, but she isn't terribly bright (8 Int) and not particularly wise (10 Wis); due to this, and Paladins lacking Detect Evil in 5e, there are not many ways for her to figure out what is evil, unless it is blantantly obvious - it became a running joke that she had to ask the party if something was evil. Well, guess what tends to be blantantly, obviously, evil? Undead. Was not a difficult choice to make a pact for power (actually just the one level, Cha SAD is very nice) in return for destroying the Undead when she came across them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I view Patron fluff as a suggestion anyway. You could take the mechanics of an Archfey pact and instead say that your patron is the demonic Father of All Lies (thus the emphasis on deception). Or maybe the Celestial mechanics are instead for a Devil who has given you the power to protect and preserve what you love in exchange for your soul. Maybe the Fiend pact is actually an Efreet Sultan who's taken am interest in you. An Old Ones pact might actually be a blessing from the patron saint of anything relating to the mind.

Point is, just come up with a patron that you like and that makes sense in the setting and don't worry about making it accord with the book, which is so vague as to be meaningless. Hexblade really is just Pact of the Blade Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    ... trapped in Bavaria...
    You mean Barovia. Bavaria is a real place and no more of a pit of inescapable despair than anywhere else on the planet.

(I realize it's probably an autocorrect fail, but it was too silly to pass up.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Default What Type of Entity is a Hexblade Patron?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderous Mojo View Post
    In reality, you have Carte Blanche to make any Patron work. {snip}
    If you do select the Grim Reaper, be an acolyte of the Cult of the Blue Oyster.
    Heh, this is a fine choice for a horrible sub class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Hexblade has a crappy patron explanation
    +2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
    That is the question isn’t it. Congratulations, my friend, you have just stumbled onto the first of many reasons why people hate the hexblade.
    Indeed.

But here's the dirty little secret. It's actually a marketing ploy (Speculation follows) ...

The evil Hexblade patron is in fact a marketing executive who works for Gillette. The Hexblade(TM) will soon to launch (it's a stocking stuffer, give it to your beloved shaver this Christmas!) in order to overcome the current, stifling competition from the Bic Flex 5. (Hex = 6; so six blades is better than 5, right?) This has been in the works for years. Since that marketing executive also had to manage an account with Hasbro his kid got some free D&D booster packs. Later, his contacts at Hasbro and WoTC ended up with loads of Hexblade logo'd free stuff (pens, note pads, mouse pads, etc). And it just become ubiquitous.

That's the most likely actual patron...
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-10-27 at 01:49 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Hexblade has a crappy patron explanation since it's exceptionally vague, doesn't overall fit the Shadowfell, and they only mention the Raven Queen because they didn't end up going through with her unique Warlock subclass.
    Eh, it's not much worse than any other patron explanation. Why is a random Pit Fiend a valid warlock patron? How can he grant powers that he himself does not possess? What are the terms of the pact? What is the patron getting out of the Pact anyway? What penalties exist if the Warlock doesn't pay up? If the patron dies, what happens to the power? What are the externalities/extended consequences to everyone else for the warlock taking this Pact? 5E essentially just treats the patron as a giant offscreen handwave (or a requirement for the DM to make a bunch of stuff up), and Hexblade simply takes that at face value and says, "Fine, make everything up or just ignore the patron and treat this as an alt-wizard (which should have been based on Int instead of Cha)."

Why are ki-rin and genie patrons granting people superpowered force blasts (Eldritch Blast invocations)?

I've even seen people suggest taking Imps as Patrons, which also makes zero sense from a fluff angle.

Warlock fluff is downright terrible across the board.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Warlock fluff is downright terrible across the board.
    The Empyraen is at least plausible, though I do share you view on the conflict between the patron's own powers and what they can grant, however, an Empyrean has a direct line to a deity (as I read the MM description).

At least GOO doesn't have that failing.

The Arch Fey ... not sure enough on the lore to comment.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-10-27 at 01:52 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    I think that one heavily implied option is that, like Stormbringer/snip
    The Stormbringer angle is what I lean into.

I always really enjoyed the Michael Moorcock Eternal Champion books, with Elric and Corum being my faves. If you haven't read them but you're looking for Hexblade inspiration, they're worth a read. Elric was written to be an explicit anti-hero. He's weak and sickly, knows a lot of dark magic, and ends up with the cursed sword Stormbringer, which gives him strength in exchange for eating the souls of anyone it kills.

Corum was part of the original inspiration for the Vecna hand/eye lore... In the books, Corum loses his own hand and eye, and has them replaced with the cursed hand and eye of dead gods. These give him the power to conjure the spirits of those he murders (which ties back into the Hexblade's Accursed Specter ability).

The Eternal Champion cosmology opens up a lot to play with... and none of it was explained well in the Hexblade as presented. Oopsies.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, those two series were personal faves when I read them in the 70's and early 80's.

Hawkmoon wasn't bad, but it felt different.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Kemev View Post
    The Stormbringer angle is what I lean into.

I always really enjoyed the Michael Moorcock Eternal Champion books, with Elric and Corum being my faves. If you haven't read them but you're looking for Hexblade inspiration, they're worth a read. Elric was written to be an explicit anti-hero. He's weak and sickly, knows a lot of dark magic, and ends up with the cursed sword Stormbringer, which gives him strength in exchange for eating the souls of anyone it kills.

Corum was part of the original inspiration for the Vecna hand/eye lore... In the books, Corum loses his own hand and eye, and has them replaced with the cursed hand and eye of dead gods. These give him the power to conjure the spirits of those he murders (which ties back into the Hexblade's Accursed Specter ability).

The Eternal Champion cosmology opens up a lot to play with... and none of it was explained well in the Hexblade as presented. Oopsies.
    It also doesn't work with Hexblade unless the DM is actually willing to both (1) give you Blackrazor a.k.a Stormbringer at first level (or first warlock level anyway), and (2) make all your warlock powers vanish if you lose Blackrazor or neglect to feed it.

Fundamentally, the warlock class just isn't the right way to model a relationship with Stormbringer or most other Faustian bargains. On the other hand, "here's 50,000 bonus XP and +4 to a stat of your choice and +2 to your proficiency bonus, but all these benefits go away permanently if ever go 48 hours without killing a sentient creature who isn't expecting death... Now THAT'S a Faustian bargain! Looks manageable at first, no apparent perma-strings attached, but designed to mess with player psychology.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Now THAT'S a Faustian bargain! Looks manageable at first, no apparent perma-strings attached, but designed to mess with player psychology.
    In the hands of the right player, yes!

In the hands of the garden variety murder hobo, it offers license to kill and becomes a kind of enabling that probably isn't healthy for play.

I mean c'mon, man, I had to kill the ostler. My sword was hungry.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMoon250 View Post
    Read as worded in XGTE, a Hexblade is a spirit of the Shadowfell (which may or may not specifically be the Raven Queen) that for some reason likes to spend its time making sentient weapons made out of pseudo-matter from the plane...
    Officially, I think this is it. And yes, it's incredibly vague.

I've come up with my own idea for what a "hexblade" could be, though I don't know if there's any place for this in D&D lore:
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    If you're going to homebrew something, why not go whole hog and fully embrace the concept of the hexblade in all of its absurdity?

Hexblades, of which there are many (under this homebrew interpretation), are literally sentient weapons that forge contracts with mortals to grant them power. Oh, that thing in your hand? Ha. Ha ha. No. You do not wield a hexblade, the hexblade wields you. The hexblade itself, should you ever actually lay eyes on it in its home plane, is no ordinary weapon. It is a being of downright eldritch design, as if Lovecraft himself had forged it on the anvil of Azathoth's hide. It could be a hundred feet tall with a thousand edges, each curving and folding in on itself. The weapons of men and elves and dwarves are but a farcical caricature of a memory of a reflection of an illusion seen in a dream, of the hexblades. Before life creeped along the ground and swam within the seas, the hexblades sailed across the cosmos, waging wars against the gods and destroying whole planets. Only a god could ever hope to wield a hexblade, and then only at great risk to himself, even with the consent of the eldritch weapon. They are the very incarnations of war and violence and death.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    In the hands of the right player, yes!

In the hands of the garden variety murder hobo, it offers license to kill and becomes a kind of enabling that probably isn't healthy for play.

I mean c'mon, man, I had to kill the ostler. My sword was hungry.
    That's fun too, IMO. It doesn't mean the rest of the world has to give the PC a pass, but if you want to blame the sword, sure!

I remember one magic staff (Flaun'tiir) which was theoretically a Staff of Fire or something, but the minor property that had the most impact on that whole campaign was that it enhanced the greed of the bearer. So many things happened because the druid/monk who owned it saw moneybags where other people would have seen scruples. The player would even nudge me as DM, "Does Flaun'tiir say anything to me about [whatever]?" hoping to be extra-tempted. I don't think he ever used the item's combat-relevant properties like Wall of Fire more than once or twice in the whole campaign, but he loved the excuse to be tempted to hide gold, hoard gold, etc.

Even in the hands of a murderhobo it serves as a source of tension, because if the murderhobo ever gets killed and takes more than 48 hours to be resurrected... sorry, you just lost your Faustian boon. (And perhaps the DM will offer the Faustian boon to one of your rivals next--or perhaps the patron will sell the Authorities evidence of a bunch of murders you committed while under the boon, or blackmail you with that threat.)

I don't envision any situation where that boon would ruin play, assuming the player is someone I want at the table in the first place (i.e. not a complete idiot who ignores other players' feelings entirely). It's not even like they have to murder the ostler (and face the consequences). They "just" lose a irreplaceable bonus.

26. - Top - End - #26

GreenSorcererElf

I've played a few Hexblades and flavored the patron differently for each.

First, the real answer is "Some unidentified entity occupying or associated with the Shadowfell who likes to either craft sentient weapons or manifest as said sentient weapons, but isn't any one particular sentient weapon, and also your weapon isn't sentient, and also just FYI the Pact of the Blade specifies you can't make a sentient weapon your pact weapon so don't get too attached to this whole sentient weapon concept, but that's what your patron is about. Mysterious! Maybe the Raven Queen, whatever that means?"

So it's ripe for reflavoring.

For my Hexbow, his patron was Beshaba, the Faerunian goddess of bad luck. I reflavored her to be more like Nemesis (the greek goddess), so that she actually had an identifiable philosophy. Essentially, my character was armed as an agent of chaos to punish hubris. Mighty wizards who think they're beyond the reach of gods, for example. It was a Dungeon of the Mad Mage game. His weapon was a longbow made of black antlers - Beshaba's holy symbol. Everything a Hexblade does fits pretty well with this, given the whole curse/bad luck angle.

For my melee Hexblade, his patron is literally just the Queen of Air and Darkness. I made the character before Hexblade existed, and everything the subclass does just fit what I was trying to accomplish with him (except the specter, but that was easy to reflavor as the enemy's shadow severed from their body and put to use). So my DM allowed me to just rebuild him as a Hexblade, since the characterization was consistent.

As others note, there are tons of entities around D&D that fit the bill for what the Hexblade can mechanically accomplish. Hags, Graz'zt, Orcus, any number of death/war/darkness/trickery/fate/misfortune gods or exarchs or demon princes or archdevils, Unseelie fey, or *sigh* yes the Raven Queen. Pick something that sounds cool to you, make it fit.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's a powergamer who gives you better stats than all the other warlocks

I actually have no idea what these are supposed to be. I feel like they want it to be about cursed weapons, but those kind of features should be features of an item, not of a class.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

28. - Top - End - #28

In a Forgotten Realms game, I played it as a mystical warrior from Mulhorand, empowered by the embodied Egyptian Gods who rule there.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

Officially indeed it is a spirit of the shadowfell, but i much prefer it to be the weapon itself. Being bound to (possibly evil) sentient weapon is a classic trope with a lot of fun plot points to explore.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I've made it a setting fact that the Pacts aren't bound to a type of patron, but are descriptive names for pacts made with particular purposes. So a powerful fire elemental or dragon might make a Fiend Pact, if what they care about is blowing things up and tyranny. All sorts of things make fey pacts, not just fey. Same with Hexblade. The patron has to care about weapons or artifacts and curses.

This was necessary to get around a logical consequence of removing alignment even for angels and devils. If there are good/kindly devils...why would they make a pact about burning things and domination? Now those make Celestial pacts, while the more "traditional" fiends make one of the other pacts, as do other beings.

So the type of pact doesn't tell you much about the patron, but about what he, she, or it is going to expect from you and the price you promised/paid for your powers.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.