New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Adventures of the Tylosians

Serenity smiled brightly, but was a bit wary.
    "I-I have to ask- this is not another test, right? Like back at the campfire" she asked before accepting even the idea of having passed the Aniforos.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Toru is still breathing somewhat hard from the effort of the climb and combat, but he calms himself for a moment and then accepts the stone. He says graciously, simply, "Thank you."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

After Serenity asks her question you see a faint smile form on Ninki's lips, though the rest of her face is obscured by the wide hat that protects her light sensitive eyes. "That suspicion will serve you well, many things in this world are not what they appear to be. You are free to climb the other peaks if you feel that this is not the authentic shrine. Or is it that the trip was not challenging enough? I am sure Ingrem would agree with that."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 1
    AC: 14 HP: 10/10
    Spell Slots: 0 / 1
    PP: 14 PInv: 11 PIns: 12
    Conditions: none

Zale thanks there hosts for the pendent. He has no desire to climb any more cold mountains.

"Thank you. I accept humbly accept this pendent. Do you need anything else from us before we return down this freezing mountain?"
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

"I think I'm fine with this shrine" Serenity said and accepted the pendant with a smile and a slight bow "Thank you. I'll make the clan proud"

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Ninki leads you down a small path through a door into a large room that was carved into the side of the mountain. There is a bed and some basic supplies but mostly the walls are lined with books. She tells you that this is where important records are kept. Through another door there is a room with a teleportation circle. She opens a portal for you.

The portal takes you to a cave outside Ithys, somebody is there to great you and shows you out. The cave is stocked with all manner of supplies, and the entrance is hidden behind a waterfall.

You get a few days of rest back in town as you wait for the rest of the participants finish, or give up, and arrive back in town. Once everyone is accounted for there is a feast of celebration for those who passed.

Show
    Everyone level up. You have the option of swapping out to a different character at this time if you wish.
    Your characters visit the armory and get all the normal starting equipment for your class plus an extra 75 gp worth of equipment of your choice, you do not actually get any gold.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Toru Torvaldson is very relieved to be home, though ironically his first order of business is moving out. He'd been staying with his dad prior to the Aníforos, and helping in his smithy, but now that Toru is officially a Tylosian in his own right, he found a place to do a little house-building on the edge of his family's land. Building one's own little house is work, but he has time, and his family and friends and some other villagers help out. Soon he has a little two-room place, half for sleeping, half for working on his projects. He tinkers with the sign over the door so that it glows faintly at night in a welcoming way.

He is still very proud of his shiny armor he'd made, though he's glad he took the tinkering tools instead for the journey to the shrine. Armor would've just been heavy, and wouldn't have done anything to protect against little cave mold spores. He whittles down the club he'd made in the woods and turns it into a spear - a good weapon for the occasional hunt or defending the town.

After a little study, Toru learns how to make little enchantments on the spear and armor, too. Soon his little workshop is full of odds and ends, everything from an hourglass to snowshoes, a merchant's scale to a grappling hook. He fixes things for the townsfolk and still helps in his father's shop when it gets busy.

And he still keeps in touch with Zale, Serenity, and Alara, since it's not like you can journey to the shrine together and then just forget about people.

Show
    If the other characters like, of course. If you want to leave town for a bit in the months after the Aníforos then consider this modified accordingly.

Mechanically, Toru is all leveled up, too.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 2
    AC: 14 HP: 17/17
    Spell Slots: 2 / 2

When they get back to civilization, Toru seems to already have plans with his laboratory. Zale already knew Toru but didn't know the other two as well. He realizes that with all the focus on the trials, he hadn't gotten to know his new companions as well as he should have,

"I'm glad the four of us joined together for this trial. It worked out well. You both know your way around the woods. Where did you pick up those impressive skills?"
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

"Learnt everything from my father- wether he wanted or not. I'd chase him into the woods until he was forced to take me with him" Serenity smiled remembering those times.
    "What about you? How did you learn your magic? Those beams were indeed powerful"

Over the next few days Serenity kept improving her archery skills, becoming more and more accurate in prediction to when they were going to have their first mission. She also picked up a few magical tricks, one to let her be able to grow precious berries from mistletoe and another that would let her move like the wind, useful for when enemies got too close against her wish.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Basically Archery fighting style, Goodberry and Zephyr Strike.

I thought about Esnering Strike but her DCs are actually kinda bad >.>

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 2

Zale listens intently while Serenity talks about chasing her father through the woods. He remembers similar episodes in his childhood, but it was usually after his father had invited his brother on some adventure, and Zale was always sent home. Serenity's story sounds more pleasant. He's not sure how much he should give away yet so he tells the truth, but avoids talking about his dream with the black sword.

"I grew up in the Feymarche. One of the visiting Feywild ambassadors blessed me when they were visiting. I'm not really sure how it works. What about you, Alara?"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

After going through the ordeal Alara feels comfortable sharing with her new found friends.
    "I was raised by a human, Vyncent Thorne. We spent much time in the Ravenwood forest, every day was a new lesson."

---

After a few days of rest Torvald speaks to Toru.
    "A few months ago Argyros dropped a star from the sky, word has it that it landed on an island southwest of here. Perhaps you and your companions could go to try and find it and bring it back?"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    After a few days of rest Torvald speaks to Toru.
    "A few months ago Argyros dropped a star from the sky, word has it that it landed on an island southwest of here. Perhaps you and your companions could go to try and find it and bring it back?"
    "Sure thing, Da." Toru seems eager to get a look at the star. "If it's too big to carry, I suppose we'll just bring back what we can. Do you think it's made of metal, like that we could make things out of? Worth a look for sure."

Toru goes and finds Zale and Serenity and Alara, who've been chatting about their own father-figures. "Good morn! Sorry to interrupt. Do y'all remember that falling star from just before the Aniforos? I've got the best scheme and I think I'll need your help, if you're game." He'll describe the star and its general location. "My da said there was a person who might be able to lead us there, so we should find them next. The trickiest part will probably be crossing the water. I'm not sure how we'll manage that bit. Ideas?"

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 2

Zale responds to Alar's story of being raised by a human. "That must be hard. A human raising an elf. Their life must have gone by quickly for you."

When Toru arrives and tells us of the possible adventure, Zale is onboard. I wonder if the star is still lit up.

"Perhaps we could charter a small sailboat. Anyone know someone who might do that. Let's find this guide first. Maybe they have an idea."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

"A boat sounds like a good idea- we can probably hire a captain at an harbor. We should find the guide first... Was there any indication to how big this star is?" Serenity asked "Oh and yeah, I'm game. Finding a star dropped by one of the Great Spirits sounds exciting"

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

In preparing for the trip you learn that it will be approximately a 400 mile (640 kilometer) round trip, with at least 30 miles (48 kilometers) of open ocean to cross.

The road from Ithys to the city of Nytheas is well traveled and in good shape so that leg of the journey should be easy.

The Tylosians are currently on good terms with the Shurdenesh, one of the most well known seafaring people that in this age mostly transport goods for merchants. You might be able to get passage on one of their ships in Nytheas, though flagging down a ship for the return trip could be a problem.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Toru packs his stuff and errs on the side of bringing perhaps too much, choosing to not repeat the circumstances of the earlier trial. He’s a big guy so he can carry it all pretty easily. He takes the armor this time but doesn’t plan on wearing it while walking.

After a little discussion with his family, Toru decides on offering to work for a Shurdenesh ship in exchange for passage - his folks don’t have a lot of spare coins.

Who knows, though - maybe when the group meets up with their contact in the port city, they’ll think of a better plan.

When everybody is ready, he sets off with the others, walking and whistling little tunes occasionally.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-04-21 at 04:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 2

After just recently walking through the mountains, Zale is not excited about another 200 mile walk just to get to the boat.

"Does anyone know where we might find horses? Or maybe a merchant wagon that needs guards?"
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Zale, Toru, Serenity, and Alara are each given 10 gold for expenses and are told not spend it on unnecessary things.

There are no horses available but you manage to catch a ride to the coast on the back of a supply cart, this leg of the trip takes the entire day and you arrive at a cluster of farms.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Serenity wasn't interested in bothering the locals for lodging, so she started preparing her bedroll and take off the armor to sleep near their improvised transportation method.
    "I reckon it'll take about two more days before getting to Nytheas- guess we should be patient" she mused, munching on some rations.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 2

Zale sits down next to Serenity, preparing his own dinner and his bedding for the night.

"Do you think it is two more days to Nytheas?"

He then looks up at his host, the driver of the supply cart, "And how much farther are you going?"

Show

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-04-23 at 05:39 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

There are around a dozen buildings visible from the fork in the road as well as a small dock down on the waterfront and a large lean-to where travelers can take shelter.

Several of the locals hear the cart arrive and come out to get the latest news from the cart driver.

The cart driver is heading north in the morning, the opposite direction that you are traveling.

When you are ready the night passes without issue.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 2

After a good night sleep in the lean-to, Zale goes around to the farmhouses to see if anyone knows of a way we could get to Nytheas, either a fishing boat that could take us by sea or a cart or wagon by road, offering to pay a small amount for the assistance.
    Show
    Persuasion (1d20+3)[11]

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

After asking around Zale learns that the farmers usually send someone south the the nearest village of Elreth, which lies on the road to Nytheas, twice a month. It is a few days earlier then their usual schedule but they are willing to make the trip today for a silver. It takes a few hours to load a cart but you are soon underway.

The road loosely follows the coast with the Shrouded Isle filling up the horizon. Along the way you pass a patrol checking on the settlements making sure that all is well.

You arrive at Elreth as the sun is setting, the local inn is called the Shrouded Stein. They have a grouse stew served with a pinenut cheese, bread, and a tankard of perry for 11 cp.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Toru pays for both, the cart and the stew. He takes in the view along the way, musing that it doesn't look like an island at all. "I thought we'd be able to see the water all around it. That just looks like a reflection of the land we're on."

At the inn, he eats well and studies the locals. Farmers are kinda the same everywhere, but these ones aren't Tylosians. "We should rest and continue on in the morning - is there another cart headed to Nytheas?" he asks the innkeeper.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 2

Zale thanks the farmer for the offer of a ride in the cart. During the journey, he tries to get to know the driver as well as entertain him as much as possible. Hopefully the journey is easier with our presence and some conversation lightens the burden of taking us with him.

At the inn, the Quickling eats the stew and drinks a little of the perry. Obviously, with his small size, he barely makes a dent in the human-sized servings. He offers his extra to Toru who looks like he could eat much more.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Serenity is mostly silent during the travel, occasionally making small talk when prompted. When Toru talks about the Isle she muses on it for a bit before replying "I wonder how big it must be to fill our views completely like that"

At the inn she drinks and eats happily, listening attentively when the question regarding carts is rised up.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

The driver is only a few years older then the party of adventurers and doesn't think much of the quality of the stories he has to share but is happy to ramble on about farm life: tending the animals, growing crops, fishing, fending off wild animals, the yearly trip to one of the big cities (north to Gythele or southwest to Nytheas).

At the Inn you learn that last group to head out to Nytheas left this morning and there is not another heading out for a few days. However it is just over a days walk to the city from this town.

Show
    A room is 4 silver, or you could find a place outside of town to sleep under the stars.
    You can make it into Nytheas with a full day of fast pace walking plus an hour of forced march.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 2

Zale enjoys his dinner and is not excited about sleeping under the stars tonight.

"Let's get two rooms here tonight and then set off for Nytheas in the morning. If we can make it in one day, great. If it takes us two, that should be fine too."

If everyone agrees, he'll pay the 8 silver for the two rooms. If everyone else wants to sleep under the stars tonight, Zale will follow along, hardly complaining at all.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

"I think I would enjoy sleeping under the stars- if only to save on the money they gave us to use when needed. These rooms don't cost much but it could rapidly add up over the journey" Serenity said- but like Zale she wasn't terribly sold either way.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Would the rooms be single or double?

I.e. do we have to spend 8 or 16 silvers?

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    "I think I would enjoy sleeping under the stars- if only to save on the money they gave us to use when needed. These rooms don't cost much but it could rapidly add up over the journey" Serenity said- but like Zale she wasn't terribly sold either way.
    Toru agrees. "I've got a tent and could set it up nearby if there's a spot. It might be a strange thing to do but hopefully the villagers here wouldn't mind. We're just passing through, anyhow." He seems to be very shy about asking whether she'd actually want to share the tent - it's ostensibly big enough for two people but he's a goliath, so he's a little long for it as-it-is, and also she had said she wanted to see the stars. Weather permitting, of course. But they spent a week traveling together already so it's not like his sleeping-noises would be a surprise.

Toru sees it as economical to use the tent but just hopes the villagers wouldn't see it as refusing their hospitality.