GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: [IC] Adventures of the Tylosians

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 1
    AC: 14 HP: 10/10
    Spell Slots: 1 / 1
    PP: 14 PInv: 11 PIns: 12
    Conditions: none

Zale shakes the hands of the gnome, halfling, goblin and kobold.

"Riks, Arvil, Folke and Zyx, it is a pleasure to meet you. We are planning on going around the left side of the lake through the forest, though. If you would like to join us, we'd love to have you. If not, I wish you all good luck and I hope we'll see you at the top."

Assuming they insist on going through the swamp, Zale then goes over and talks to the wood elf, hoping that their shared Fey background gives them a connection. He motions over at the rest of the team as he speaks.

"Good morning. We are planning on going through the forest if you would like to join us. My name is Zale."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Riks says "Yes, Yes, most best luck." and with that they set off.

The wood elf's mannerisms and accent are more like that of a human then an elf, "Well met Zale, I am Alara Raydawn of Ravenwood. I too was considering the western path."

Spoiler: Ravenwood, DC 14 History
    Show
    Ravenwood is the name, in the common tongue, for a large forest, some 160 miles [260 km] northwest of Ithys on the other side of the Mornanén sea. Forndell, a major elven city, is located there. It is odd that an elf would not use the elven name for the forest.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

"Then you should indeed join us- I assure you that making the trip alone is... Difficult. My name is Serenity, pleasure to meet you" Serenity chimed in. She wasn't thrilled at grouping up with people they didn't know, but it wasn't necessarily bad and Zale seemed to be wanting to invite all the other contestants. Except those that already left, obviously.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-10-31 at 11:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 1

Zale is glad to see Serenity join in with the invitation. He wasn't sure if the others would appreciate his attempts to enlarge the party, but an elf who is comfortable in the woods may be helpful indeed.

"It is nice to meet you, Alara. We would love to have you join us. I went to Ravenwood once as a young child. I remember images and a good feeling but not too many details. I'd love to hear more about your home and why you came all the way here. I'm from Feymarche, and I'm here in this trial to prove that I can make my own way without my family."

As they walk back to the others, he introduces the elf, "Everyone, this is Alara from Ravenwood. Is it ok if they join us?"

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-11-02 at 06:08 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    As they walk back to the others, he introduces the elf, "Everyone, this is Alara form Ravenwood. Is it ok if they join us?"
    Toru says tritely, as if perhaps quoting a saying of his clan, "Any who walk in the same direction can be friends."

As if to emphasize the bit about walking, he starts at a steady stride headed to the left around the lake. "A good pace allows for talking while walking." He's a regular walking almanac, that Toru, when he's not stressing about last-minute decisions.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2020-11-01 at 12:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lleu Vrumugun

For a good long while, Lleu had laboured under the idea that Zale putting up with his enthusiasm was some sort of sign that to Zale, their companionship was special.

Turns out Zale's just a kleptomaniac, except with people. A peoplemaniac? Lleu's pretty sure that word doesn't exist, but it really should.

As far as Ravenwood goes, Lleu completely blanks. It's certainly no place he's ever heard of, and if he has, it's completely slipped his mind what it's supposed to be. Didn't the elves live someplace else? Well, whatever, no sense fretting over it.

"While we walk, we should probably work out how we'll divvy up tasks later on," Lleu suggests. "Be good if anyone with experience setting up camp pipes up now, aye? Cos I have a hunch we're gonna need that."

Lleu's confidence they'll conveniently come upon a good place to rest and eat? Like someone rolled two 1's on a 20-sided die.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

From behind you, you hear a very loud and extremely exited shout of "SQUIRREL??!??!!!" then the adlet goes running past you and bounds off into the forest, tongue flopping out of the side of his mouth. Shortly afterwards he is followed by the tabaxi, human, and eventually the dwarf.

Alara raises an eyebrow at the sight "They say that dwarves are natural sprinters, I am afraid that I do not see it." Responding to Zale and Lleu "This land is not too different then the forest I grew up in. If you know where to look, the land will provide." She looks away "I came here to continue the training that my mentor was giving me."

Spoiler: Insight DC 13
    Show
    You can tell that there is more to what she is saying, but the subject might be a little sensitive for casual conversation.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    - With Serenity leading the way, the party is able to ignore the patches of difficult terrain. Which is about 50% of the forest.
    - What pace will the party be traveling at?
    - Do you want to travel the full 8 hours or do you want to stop early so there is time to craft equipment?
    - While traveling at a normal or slow pace you can choose to forage for food or look for crafting materials.
    - If you want to craft armor two characters can work together to make progress on one item.

Weapons made in the field break on a nat 1 attack rolls and armor breaks when hit with a nat 20. Here are some examples of things you can craft:

Herbal Poultices (required proficiency in medicine): In places where there is plenty of plant life you can spend 1 hour gathering herbs to create one poultice. You can carry a number of poultices at one time equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). The poultices you create cannot be applied by anyone but you. After 24 hours, any poultices that you have not used lose their potency. Once herbs have been gathered from an area it takes 1d6 weeks for them to regrow. If you spend 1 minute applying one of your poultices to a wounded creature, expending its use, and that creature finishes a short rest with it on that creature regains 1d4+2 hit points. That creature cannot regain hit points from another poultice until it finishes a long rest.

Club, Greatclub, Mace

Spear w/ fire hardened tip. 5 sp, damage changes to: 1d4, 1d6 versatile.

Stone Maul 1 gp, damage changes to: 1d10

Makeshift Shield, basically a log with a handle. 1 gp, +1 AC

Woven padded armor and uncured hide armor. This hide armor counts as simple for the purposes of crafting, however it is very smelly and might attract hungry critters. You will have to kill a medium or large animal to get hide to make hide armor.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 1

Zale skips along through the woods. He's happy to be out in nature again after all this time in the village. As he goes, anytime he sees a small animal, he shoots it with his Eldritch Blast. If he sees a larger animal, he will hex it first.

"I don't know much about setting up camp, but I should be able to hunt for us. I'll go ahead and see what animals I can find. Serenity or anyone else want to hunt with me?"

Show
    I suggest we travel at a normal pace for 8-10 hours, foraging and hunting as we go. If we can down any large game, we should stop and smoke the meat, even if it is early in the day. A deer or a goat should give us about 50 pounds of usable meat. Once smoked overnight, that would get us through the rest of the journey. A goat has 4HP so a hexed Eldritch blast should take it down.

Once we get to camp tonight, a couple people can work on getting the campfire going and cooking anything we caught, a couple can set up the tarp, and everyone else can craft whatever they want.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Serenity nodded with a smile at Alara's words, deciding against prying into her business any further.

"One of us should keep a look out during the march" she said "If I may make a suggestion, Alara, you should help with foraging food or materials. I suspect not many of us know where to look"

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    Ooc says that traveling for 8 hours excludes crafting, so we have to travel less then that to craft stuff... 5-6 seems more fair. Confirmed Ooc that one can still craft if they don't travel for 8 hours. I'm still for traveling slightly less then 8 and have more time for crafting, but no real preference there. No less then 5 hours though.

I'm good with any travel pace. Seems to me that there's only the penalty to passive Perception when at an increased pace, so keeping people in active lookout seems to make the faster pace advantageous especially if we travel for less then 8 hours. Nevermind, we need a normal or slower pace to hunt and forage. Poultices require a slow pace so I prefer that.

Meanwhile, no need to draw maps or worry about getting lost since Natural Explorer stops that from happening, but I'd still like if somebody drew a map (PHB says that's the one thing that doesn't require checks).

Serenity will keep alert for potential predators, ambushes and whatever. Perception (1d20+4)[11]
    If we decide that I'm best off hunting that's the exact same roll.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-11-02 at 04:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hadwyn Evarius
    Human Fighter 1
    AC: 14 HP: 13/13
    Spell Slots: 0
    PP: 12 PInv: 14 PIns: 12

Hadwyn looked over as Zale invited yet another straggler into the group. "Sure thing, lets invite the whole town to join us. Why not?" Even though Hadwyn did not like the idea of a group this big, he still couldn't go without it. Unfortunately, he would be eaten alive out here if he were to go it alone. Even if it seemed more in line with the spirit of competition.

"We can't afford to make camp yet, keep a slow pace so the hunters can catch up to us again." He turned to Alara, "you say you know the woods, you should go and join the hunters. Its better to have experience on something like that. I assume you will be able to find us again if you go off path?" He turned over to Zale, "none the less, best of luck with the hunt. Just try not to use any magic on it, I would prefer if the meat is edible, hahaha." Hadwyn said jokingly.

"I'll keep a steady pace going forward and look for berries or something on the way. Look out for a mark like this in the trees if you get lost on finding us." Hadwyn took out his dagger and made a distinct marking in the tree. He then pressed on toward the goal.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+2)[18]
    Rolling to look for mushrooms or berry bushes. Not rolling survival because Hadwyn is not making a judgement on if they are edible or not, just looking to see if any are around.

Last edited by Jumbus; 2020-11-15 at 07:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Examining the forest just outside town Alara says "There is not much around here for us to eat, we shall have to venture farther from the village."

Once you leave the more heavily traveled areas around the village, Hadwyn is able to spot a variety of berries and mushrooms. He counts over a half dozen different varieties of berries and several different mushrooms.

Show
    Normal pace for 1 hour takes you 3 miles, this is enough to get clear of the areas that are mostly picked clean of by the village.
    If your character is foraging for food & water you need to make a Survival check and roll 1d6+wisdom.
    If you are gathering crafting materials let me know what you intend on crafting.
    Most of the example items I listed do not need a survival check, the raw materials are easy enough to find along the shore of the lake, hide being the exception.
    If you want to make something else make a survival roll in case it is needed. Some things might require a detour away from the lake.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 1

Zale tries to move along as quietly as possible, just ahead of the main group, keeping an eye out for any larger game that may have come to the lake to drink, but mostly looking for small game - rabbits, possums, porcupines, fowl, and even turtles or fish in the water.

He uses the rope to tie any he collects to his body while he continues. If he gets something large enough, he makes a sled out of his shield to help with the transport.

Show
    Survival (1d20+2)[20]

Perception 10 from Discord
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-11-03 at 06:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Lleu Vrumugun

Lleu, ever the master of subtle cues and hints, notices Alara's not telling the whole story... but unlike a book, people don't provide you the whole story on the fly. Gotta pry them open with the finger of kindness... or something to that effect!

"If it's keeping an eye out, I'm rather confident, aye?" At the very least, Lleu is as perceptive as any eladrin, so he reckons that's gotta count for something. While the rest are off cavorting in wild wild berry land, or looking for unsuspecting animals to turn into a feast, Lleu keeps an eye on their surroundings. And uh, gets lost in just how breathtaking the scenery is. Sorry?

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[7] Perception to check for threats.
    Last edited by Servbot; 2020-11-03 at 06:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

After a few more hours of travel the group takes a break for lunch.

Zale is able to get some squirrels and fish, it is enough for everyone to eat for the day.

Hadwyn finds some blackberries.

Taru is able to locate a branch that can be shaped into a greatclub.

Alara gathers some mustard leaves, wild garlic, and some herbs to make poultices.

Show
    I do not want this to stall out over something as trivial as a foraging check so if you wanted to make one for the day go ahead and roll it.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 1

Zale helps cook the game by roasting it over a fire, but he is not much help with any of the other camping duties. As a child, he would frequently go out hunting with a bow but never slept outside. They would always return home for the evening. Once it is cooked, he passes out the food, not in equal serving sizes, but proportionate to each party member's size, taking the least amount of food for himself.

"How is everyone holding up? If anyone needs a rope, you can use mine. I grabbed it because I thought it could be useful, but to be honest, I don't know what to do with it most of the time."

Show
    Let me know if you need any more rolls.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you" Serenity said, taking her meal and sitting under the shade of a tree to eat while they rested up "Well, good- as much as can be said when we've been traveling for only a few hours. Does anybody have an inkling of how long it should take us? At least, assuming no surprises" she inquired.
    "I don't need it personally- I imagine we'll need it tonight to camp though"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    "Thank you" Serenity said, taking her meal and sitting under the shade of a tree to eat while they rested up "Well, good- as much as can be said when we've been traveling for only a few hours. Does anybody have an inkling of how long it should take us? At least, assuming no surprises" she inquired.
    "I don't need it personally- I imagine we'll need it tonight to camp though"
    Toru helps in lighting the fire for cooking (with his magic). He thanks Zale for the food, but mostly eats in silence. At Serenity's question he perks up. "I think it'll be about three days to the shrine, though if we take a more relaxed pace it could be longer," Toru answers, adding, "but I've never been."

He takes his dagger and whittles a little off the stick to make it better for walking and gripping.

18. - Top - End - #48

Lleu Vrumugun

Having contributed a grand nothing to the food endeavour, Lleu feels a bit guilty about eating, but still eats everything Zale offers him.

"Should be able to cover a fair bit of ground still, aye?" Lleu says to no one in particular, casting his gaze off towards the mountain. "Worst part of travel's when you know where you're headed, but it's still so far away..."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

After finishing lunch you continue on.

Towards evening you find some large rocks that are leaning together that would make for a good place to set up camp for the night.

Show
    You are able to gather some more food along the way.

You have now gotten far enough away from the village that you might be in some predator's territory.

Toru finds part of a storm felled trunk with a broken branch that can be carved into a makeshift shield.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2020-11-09 at 11:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    After finishing lunch you continue on.

Towards evening you find some large rocks that are leaning together that would make for a good place to set up camp for the night.
    Toru gets to work finishing the shield and greatclub, and will help with lighting a proper fire for cooking. He donates his tarp (for use with the rope?) to make a little awning for the rock formation.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 1

Zale enjoys the rest of the day, walking through the woods along the lake and turning up into the foothills in the afternoon. He does a little more hunting as they go but mostly just seems to be having fun. He skips ahead at times, then returns to see how everyone is doing. In the evening, he helps around camp as best he can, but he's better at hunting than he is at any other survival skills. He donates his rope to help set up a shelter, cutting 40' off the end to make 4 10' ropes to tie the tarp to the rocks and trees.

"Thanks for making the fire again, Toru. Someday you will have to show me how you do that."

He helps prepare any remaining game for a small dinner. In the morning, he prepares to continue the journey.

22. - Top - End - #52

Lleu Vrumugun

"It's magic, aye?" Lleu says to Zale. He's spent all day taking in the scenery, making mental notes of the flora and fauna they've come across, comparing each specimen to those he remembers from his books. In the end, though there was certainly a lot of "looking out" going on, very little of it has been for any actual threats. By the time Lleu's realised, Toru's already set up a make-shift camp, and Zale's asking about magic.

"My old man's always yammering on about how I should learn some magic, too," Lleu continues, though no one's asked. "Don't you know how to spell a fire, Zale?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"A-f-i-r-e" Serenity chimed in on Lleu's question, and chuckled to herself. She had spent the time keeping vigilant on possible dangers, and now was helping set up the camp with the stuff everybody brought.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I have absolutely no idea how to use the waxed tarp and the rope, so I'll just roll for Survival.

(1d20+4)[8]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hadwyn Evarius
    Human Fighter 1
    AC: 14 HP: 13/13
    Spell Slots: 0
    PP: 12 PInv: 14 PIns: 12

Hadwyn had seen quite a collection of stuff that could look like food in this forest. Even a good amount was outside of the cave. However, he had no clue if they were edible or not and didn't have the time to examine them. But with people setting up camp it seemed a good time to do exactly that.

Spoiler: Survival
    Show

(1d20+2)[8]
    Rolling to see if the potential food sources around are edible or not

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 1

Zale shakes his head is embarrassment at Lleu's question about fire.

"Alas, no. I cannot make fire with magic. I'm no wizard. All I can do is blast things and push them away. It's not nearly as useful as fire, but it seems to be working against squirrels and fish."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Serenity attempts to rig up the tarp but the lines do not stay taut and it sags.

---

Hadwyn tries some berries that he gathered and finds them to be too tart to consume comfortably.

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

Spoiler: Nature DC 12
    Show
    They are holly-grape berries and they are edible.

He holds up a red and white mushroom and Alara says "You do not want to eat that one."

---

Show
    How will you be storying any remaining food overnight?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Toru has been busy, but as he makes a couple last smoothing motions with his dagger, he smiles. He hands the makeshift shield to Serenity, saying, "Here. You look like you are used to having something to guard with on that arm."

His smile only widens at her spelling joke, and he seems pleased that his magic has been such a hit, too.

When the berries come around, he does some more magic, taking a few minutes this time. It makes an odd sort of ritual, involving a bit of ash from the fire and a couple runes drawn on the ground... but at the end he says, "The food should be ok. But still... let's not eat that mushroom."

Toru doesn't have any great ideas about storing food overnight. "Bellies must be good for something. Better there than anywhere else."

28. - Top - End - #58

Lleu Vrumugun

Serenity's stellar joke sails right over Lleu's head, and all it earns her are some puzzled looks from his side. Zale meanwhile is shot a pitying look, but Lleu doesn't offer his condolences for Zale's unfortunate limitation. Alas, to master magic and yet accomplish only that which a warrior with a mace could as well...

"No useful storage magic either, huh..." Lleu mutters under his breath when Toru brings up stomachs and storages. He is not afraid to partake of the holly-grape berries, however! No sirree!

He eyes the... unfortunate situation with their camp, and considers helping... But at the same time, Lleu's never really ever done anything of the sort. Won't he somehow make it worse?

"So... ah, that's one day done, aye? So uh... What'll we do for night watch? I can get by with four hours of trancing, but I suppose you all need your..." He'd check his notes, if he'd brought any. "...Ten hours of sleep, aye?"

Nailed it.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zale Akai
    Quickling Hexblade 1

Zale tries to help with the tarp. He's never used one before but he can see what Serenity was trying to do and he knows how to tie knots. Unfortunately, he can't seem to find a good purchase on the rocks to tie the ropes to. He sets his shield down just outside the sagging tarp and plans to sleep next to the shield and food.

"We can put the extra meat on my shield. If anything comes to explore the smell, we can kill it too and that is just more food for us."

Show
    Survival (1d20+2)[5]
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-11-12 at 08:55 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Serenity face fell a bit.
    "I don't think we'll be sleeping under the tarp's shelter" she said- her face was homewever lifted when Toru gave her the wooden shield, which she affixed on her arm for the moment.
    "Thank you. I'll make sure to put it to good use"

"We can smoke the meat to keep it from spoiling" she offered "And it's only six hours of sleep, Lleu. If everybody's alright with it I can take the first watch, Hadwyn could take the second and Lleu could cover the last ones. We can switch people next night"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-11-12 at 10:41 PM.