New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Default A gargantuan cat?

Lets imagine what that would be like for a minute... lol

Cats of all sizes are among the most vicious prolific killers of all animals killing just about anything they can overpower for any reason or no reason at all. So I think it would be interesting to see an Tarrasque sized feline terrorizing the lands. The Tarrasque is supposed to be about 70ft long from what I'm reading. That's a huge cat lol. How would we stat it? I looked at the difference between the Giant Eagle and Roc and then tried to do a similar thing with the Sabre Tooth Tiger and regular Tiger to help stat the Mega Cat.

It should be about as big, and about as strong as the Tarrasque, but it won't have any of the fancy defenses so it would be a much lower CR, but it would be much much faster.

I'm trying to imagine this thing jumping up and swatting dragons out of the sky!

Mega Cat
    Gargantuan Beast, unaligned

Str 28, Dex 26, Con 25, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 8

AC 18
    HP 306(17d20+119)
    Speed 120ft

Saving Throws:(Dex +13, Con +12, Wis +6, Cha +4)
    Skills: Perception +6
    Senses: Passive Perception 16
    Darkvision: 60ft

Keen Smell: The Mega Cat has advantage on Perception checks that rely on smell.

Running Leap: With a 20ft start, the Mega Cat can long jump up to 70ft.

Pounce: If the Mega Cat moves at least 20 ft. straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw Attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the Mega Cat can make one bite Attack against it as a Bonus Action.

Multiattack: The Mega Cat makes three attacks: two with it's claws and one with it's bite.

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: (4d10+9) piercing damage.

Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 15ft, one target. Hit (4d8+9) slashing damage.

What do you think?
    What CR would this be?
    What's a better name than Mega Cat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A gargantuan cat?

Obligatory picture.

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Cicciograna View Post
    Obligatory picture.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's awesome! Hahahaha

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    I'm trying to imagine this thing jumping up and swatting dragons out of the sky!
    What's a better name than Mega Cat?
    Longato - the destroyer of heaven
    Skill monkeys, away!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Minor illuions - a 5ft diameter red dot
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by saucerhead View Post
    Longato - the destroyer of heaven
    Sorry. That's Ultra Mega Cat. That cat is too big for D&D. I'm talking about Ultra Mage Cat's son. Hahaha

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    Minor illuions - a 5ft diameter red dot
    Hahaha aim it at your enemy's lair!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I think it'd get pegged at about CR16 or so?

Considering how destructive cats can be, perhaps give it double damage to objects.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

9. - Top - End - #9

Lizardfolk

I have nothing to contribute but yes. Just yes.
    You could potentially call it the irl cat...
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

"You should just homebrew the world's tiniest violin for your bard."

11. - Top - End - #11

That's merely a "huge" cat hahaha

I didn't realize the comedy that this thread would bring. I can imagine that cat high up in a Storm Giant's castle knocking all the things off of the table and down onto the unsuspecting world below!

A huge cat is scary enough though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Bigger than that?

14. - Top - End - #14

I think Mega Kitty should get some Legendary actions. What can we come up with?

Can take 3 Legendary Actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature's turn. Spent legendary Actions are regained at the start of each turn.

1. Mega Kitty can make a Wisdom(Perception) check

2. Mega Kitty can take the dash action (2 actions)

3. Mega Kitty suddenly starts grooming itself after which regains 3d6+3 hit points ( 3 actions)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Names:
    Deathstalker
    That what lurkes in the shadows.. or lies in the sun
    gremalkin

senses:
    5/10ft? blindsight (whiskers)

Skills:
    acrobatics +15 (expertise)
    stealth +10 (expertise, -5 for size)
    I think I would up the INT to 6. So it can be a slightly more terrifying hunter. Think Kneazle or something? A cat that understand speech, and can act to do whatever you want least ;)

Trait:
    Tornado of claws. Any creature that tries to grapple the mega cat suffers 8d10+0 damage every round. (poor dragon/kraken/titan)

attack/legendary action
    Death stare/glare: As an action the mega cat can fix someone with its gaze. Roll a wisdom save DC 19, or be Incapacitated untill the mega cat stops having eye contact.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mega-Cat is bored. It has nothing to play with. Everything is ignoring Mega-Cat. Mega-Cat needs attention, regardless whether it's good attention or bad attention. Mega-Cat walks up to castle on hill. It knocks the castle off the hill, watches is break. Humans swarm at Mega-Cat, attacking, trying to drive it off. Mega-Cat smiles. The game has begun.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I know it's not exactly on topic, but I've always felt Dragons have a very feline vibe to them. I think the 3.5 (3E?) Draconomicon talked about this some.
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Chiming in on the CR and encounter design angle.

An Int 3 creature can easily be defeated and abused. Do you think for a proper encounter it should be awakened? Do you feel it should have some druidic powers?

Purr/roar as the equal of a 9th level thunder wave? Hairballs that deal nonlethal poison damage? Mold Earth to bury gigantic poops?
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-11-07 at 08:55 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

BarbarianGuy

I’d probably change rubbing leap to extraordinary leap, letting it treat each foot of distance as if it were three feet while leaping, but everything else should be fine
    I usually post from my phone, so please excuse any horrendous typos.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    [to somebody getting upset over somebody else's house rule] Maybe you should take a break, you're getting rather worked up over magic elf games.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Chiming in on the CR and encounter design angle.

An Int 3 creature can easily be defeated and abused. Do you think for a proper encounter it should be awakened? Do you feel it should have some druidic powers?

Purr/roar as the equal of a 9th level thunder wave? Hairballs that deal nonlethal poison damage? Mold Earth to bury gigantic poops?
    I think it would be relatively easy to drive off since cats are likely to just run away if they take a lot of damage. I think it would be incredibly hard to actually kill because of the same fact that it would just run away if hurt enough. I imagine it having a tremendous amount of movement capabilities per round.

I think it would be almost TOO hard if it was awakened. I think a cat that can think and reason at that high a level would be truly devastating.

But my goal wasn't to think up that highest CR thing. Other than being insanely big, I don't think it should have any other magical properties.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

of all the animal in real life cats have some of the best night vision and a ginormous cat only having 60 ft darkvision seems silly to me. it should be 120 ft or more. also cats are incredible stealthy so i would imagine this thing would have proficiency in stealth. anybody who want to argue about this go look up stuff about tigers and their stealth capabilities.

also i think a fun name could be Catpocalypse and give it the power to control/summon any cat beasts (ie. cats, tigers, lions, sabertooth tigers, etc)
    Last edited by KittenMagician; 2020-11-07 at 04:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMagician View Post
    of all the animal in real life cats have some of the best night vision and a ginormous cat only having 60 ft darkvision seems silly to me. it should be 120 ft or more. also cats are incredible stealthy so i would imagine this thing would have proficiency in stealth. anybody who want to argue about this go look up stuff about tigers and their stealth capabilities.

also i think a fun name could be Catpocalypse and give it the power to control/summon any cat beasts (ie. cats, tigers, lions, sabertooth tigers, etc)

I agree with the better/farther night vision. I also considered giving it stealth, but I find it to think that a ~70ft long cat could be very good at stealth lol but maybe.

I've always thought it was weird that most of the cats in the MM don't get darkvision.