New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Total War Hanrui 3: The Final Hanrui IC

Turn 1

“The UN was not created to take mankind to heaven, but to save humanity from Hell.” - Dag Hammarskjold

Madness is coming to Hanrui once more, nations are rising with powerful individuals at their head. The boundaries between nations are growing and the old rules are being thrown to the wind as this new age comes upon us... this age of war.

Balance is a Game

Deep within the City of Scales lies the first temple to Lady Saladrahal the Goddess of Balance. There the Paladins of Balance meet to discuss the future, where once the Paladins would have been hard men and women in heavy armor with sword and shield now they were more… diverse. They ran the gamut from the traditional heavy armor wearing types, to robed diplomats, to plain clothed agents, to revolutionaries. They have arrived from all over the world to discuss unsettled business and the scales of balance. They meet to discuss Hanrui.

“Hanrui is dangerous, the last time the Legion was there they ended up being forced off the land with their detachment in shambles. The world is more dangerous today, if we sink our resources into this and lose then operations all over the world will suffer!”

“That only happened because Legion Doctrine however many centuries ago was pretty much to play both sides and rip on anyone within marching distance. It pissed off lots of powerful nations who quickly decided they didn’t want an ally who would flip on them every few years. Hanrui was not the first or last land we lost due to that approach!”

“What do we know about the local powers there? The question shouldn’t be how our last detachment failed in Hanrui but rather how a modern detachment could do? We need to know what we’re working with this time around”

“Hmmm, reports say there are some Centaur Warherds in the area. We know that there is some emergent empire in the north. There are rumors of some eldritch fleet emerging from the shadows of the world and some… Hydra? Running a guild or something. Then there are a few other powers like us that have sent groups to make the most of the opportunity. Who knows what else that nightmare land will spit out though."

“I heard the last time it was surfaced there was some crazy sort of **** measuring contest over who could summon or create the most horrific primordial level entity and it ended with someone literally summoning an original Primordial from the depths of Hanrui to pretty much tell people they had the biggest.”

“Well that seems made up. I’m sure it was just a few puffed up elementals and angels running around.”

“No man. A friend of a friend said that they talked to some dragon who mentioned their ancestor was around those parts or something.”

“I heard that some dumbass nation unleashed a Deific Level magical event just to kill some rival or something.”

“Wait. I thought those were banned by pretty much all the World Powers? Didn’t they ban Mystic, Demi Powered, and Deific level magical events like a millennia ago or something?”

“Ya. There's rumors going around that they did that due to this one. Modern scholars are saying its one of the reasons Hanrui sank back beneath the waves. The land literally couldn’t deal with that much raw wild magic being released into it.”

“Ohhh I heard that all the nations were just kidnapping random powerful members of their rivals and smashing them together like some crazy alchemists.”

“Paladins.”

“I heard that some insane necromancers decided to get it on with the undead and made a dirty play about it or something.”

“Ew gross! I heard a nation somehow threw a kraken at the original detach--”

“PALADINS!”

Quiet slams down into place as the Paladins feel the divine surge through the room. The grey statue at the head of their tabe starts to crack and move. Its eyes glow with divine light. The statue stands up and starts to weave its hands in complex arcane patterns, images from a savage land full of all sorts of people's start to appear. “The Legion will return to Hanrui, there are powers that walk among the broken lands and others that could rise to shake this world if unchecked. We will play our game among the monsters that walk Hanrui and this time we will succeed. Balance is a game never to be won, only continually played.”

With that the presence of the Lady of Balance vanishes and the statue returns to its position. The Paladins look amongst each other, faces inscrutable. Finally an elderly grizzed women stands and nods at the others “The Lady has spoken and her Legions shall march.”

It's a Herd Life

Artios watches as his Fellriders take the trading caravan, it had been months since one had attempted to travel through here. Between the Sentience Corp riding scout and his Warherds having the mobility they do they hadn’t missed any of the last dozen caravans to attempt to travel through their lands.

He shifts his weight, sidestepping a few times. He doesn’t even notice it, just doing it subconsciously as he sees his War Shamans come to the climax of their spell sequence for mass sentience. He never tires of seeing it in action. The second it hits the caravan all their horses, oxen, and mules suddenly go berserk. Stampeding and destroying the encirclement of wagons in their urge to escape.

He didn’t know why the two leggeds were always surprised their mounts would revolt so violently, especially any kind of mounted soldier or knight. The number of times prisoners after the battle accused them of dark magic was astounding. Even when it was explained to them they didn’t understand it half the time. As if it was so difficult to understand that suddenly realizing your’re a slave to the whims of others, forced to charge into dangerous battles where you are often the target over your better armored rider, and forced to do menial labor when not in fights or be restricted to a tiny stall where you don’t have room to move, was scarring and immediately impactful on your relationship with the person who was responsible for it… idiots.

It was done after that, the broken fortifications let in streams of his centaurs who rode down the traders and guards. Hlydal strides up next to him and sighs “I wish you wouldn’t do that mid combat. My Peace Shamans are the ones who have to track down the new sentients to help them.”

He shrugs “Well they shoudn’t run off like cowards then. Throw off their oppressors, stomp them into the ground, then ride off in victory.”

She rolls her eyes but drops the subject, knowing this was a losing argument “This is the first Caravan we’ve seen in almost two months. I think they might be stopping altogether when they hear about this one.”

He paws the ground with one leg, part of Artois itches to be down there in the middle of it all. Instead he is up here watching. He tired of this. The simple caravans being taken and then waiting by for the next. It had been different when they first arrived, exploratory ships landing and trade ships resting for the night. They took the ships hard and fast before they could flee to the safety of the waters. Landing parties, small armies, caravans by the dozen and twice the size. The Warherds wanted for no contest, whetting their battle skills against opponents of all types.

Then word spread, more and more avoided their lands and the powerful Warherds in them. They had escaped through the mountains to this beautiful and contested land but no they wasted away. The herds needed movement, activity, they need to RUN again.

He snaps his gaze to Hyldal “Gather my Fellriders, we ride!”

“Where do we ride my lord?”

He ignores her as he wheels on his hind legs and rears up, calling to his attendants “Gather the herds! Gather the shamans! Make ready the Warherds! We ride!”

Hyldal grabs his arm as she turns as well, asking again. Excitement mounting in her voice, “Where do we ride my lord!”

The eyes of the Ironhoof burns as he hears the beat of hooves and war cries, “War, Hyldal. We ride to War.”

The hoofbeats only get louder from there… and they are coming closer.

World Congress

A global organization that has been around for millennia, it gained its start in the distant past that almost all have forgotten. IT started slow but many nations saw the benefit of a neutral organization that could be used as a neutral ground for diplomacy and decision between nations that affected a huge area of land.

Despite their overall desired nature the World Congress is not always welcome. Often referred to as the Fangs of Peace by more militant rebellious nations who strain under its influence, an old slur from ages past. The World Congress has managed to deal with issues like this by relying on support from more powerful branches in other areas or staying above reproach, never using their own agendas and just facilitating the agendas of whoever has the most political influence.

They see Hanrui rising and the most ancient branches have called upon their contacts and friends among the ancient monsters and demigods of the world for information. Only a few months after the rising of Hanrui the World Congress was sending members to found a provisional branch in Hanrui, along with several experienced historians. They see Hanrui and hope to find the remnants of their founding.

After several years of slowly building up the foundations for a full branch of the World Congress the time has come.

Fund Raising

With some nations starting to come out of their metaphorical chrysalis on Hanrui, others arriving on behalf of powerful forces that be, and even more coming in out of nowhere, the pressure has risen. Several groups believe the loose diplomatic association in Hanrui needs to be given more discretionary funding and be made into a full branch of the World Congress.

The association has ties to the World Congress already and the Congress is looking to enhance those to gain a proper foothold in Hanrui to guide and work with the nations. The first step is to gain enough money so the local World Congress branch can stand on its own.

The wealth of nations is a driving factor in politics and the world, so the World Congress has spoken that wealth shall represent the political clout that the locals need during this time of expansion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fund Raising: Eco counts double for bidding this EoT

This is an event to vote on during midturn

War Footing

The various towns and settlements are restless, they see armies marching and nations planning. Sabotage and subterfuge abound and anyone with a pair of thoughts in their head knows that something is coming. Just as the common folk know something is coming so do the sharks.

Those who know that something is about to happen and ready to profit from it, merchants specializing in goods for armies. Stocks of travel food, good leather, sharpening stones, and much more are coming into stock all over. Entrepreneurs are traveling around offering to cities to fix up roads to make sure armies can travel through more easily.

Mercenary companies are making sure their contacts are aware of their capabilities and shaking off the rust for their coming battles. Getting in contact with those who will have the means to buy their contracts.

Spoiler
    Show
    It is 1 cheaper to invade territories. Attackers add 1 point to their Conflict number and ties go to attackers not defenders.

This an event to vote on this midturn

OOC: Midturn Due by Sat Noon Eastern Standard Time
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-10-27 at 02:56 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Total War Hanrui 3: The Final Hanrui IC

Celestial Empire of Longshan

“Are you sure you want to do this, Your Excellency?” Zhao Ren sat crosslegged in the imperial chambers. “The scholar-advisors will have strokes. This goes against three decades of tradition.”

“Ah, Uncle, that is exactly why we need it.” The newly crowned emperor sat in the same position in a slightly raised dais. “It has been far too long since our nation have been seen as anything but warmongering dogs. Now that the Mandate of Heaven is fully restored, we may finally use our warships for trade and our blades for ceremony.”

Xisun opened a compartment on his desk and retrieved a small slip of paper.

“I admit, my Trade Tongue is not the best,” he placed it on the desk towards the others and slid it forward. “Master Songsun, will you check it for me?”

After a brief pause, Songsun Yun glanced up. “It seems to be in order. At least there’s nothing that will anger the scholars.”

“Then it is agreed?” The emperor opened another drawer, containing the Seal of the Realm.

“At the very best, the scholars will be complaining for months,” Zhao Ren said. “But it is agreed.”

“Hah! At the very worst, more like.” Replied Wangde.

“You know that my Northern Tribe is the most favorable to diplomacy,” San Rong said. “If Master Songsun finds no issue, I shall not either.”

“I still don’t know why you even ask our opinions on these matters, Zanshen,” Song Zhuoqiao said. “Everything we do in this chamber would cause mass nosebleeds from the scholars.”

The emperor laughed. “Empress, we were both raised as the children of soldiers. Do we care what the scholars think?”

Spoiler: Imperial Decree - available to all foreign powers
    Show

It is said that division succeeds unity and unity succeeds division. One is bound to replace another after a long span of time. Of late, the He clan has entered its rightful place ruling the draconic peaks of Longshan. The heavens have spoken through their choice by designating that we may strengthen ties with foreign allies. As of immediately, all harbors will be opened to the sails of foreign ships. All imperial offices are to end persecution of foreign influence. Under the guidance of the gods, the Celestial Empire will once again be an active participant in the World Congress.

Decree of the first month, spring, 1146.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2020-10-27 at 03:15 PM.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

3. - Top - End - #3

PaladinGuy

Red Aurora College

Morale 4

Take them! Sap their magics like we taught you! Take their power into your own!
    No nurture the mind, Mold it to our image. USE THEM USE THEM.
    Seek the ancient magics within, the mortals will never matter.

The master of Red Aurora College looked at the students before her. Both feigned airs of apology, the young woman studiously looking to her feet while the young man slouched in deference. Zander she had spoken with many times, ever since his first year he had been in nearly every plot, scandal, and brawl happening at red campus. His raw power made him cocky, but cockiness was one of his more powerful tools, the attitude usually resulting in people underestimating the precision and fineness of his magic. Feliana on the other hand was an unusual sight in the disciplinary halls of either campus, and certainly not as a perpetrator. Hers was a magic of calming auras and enchanting eyes, not duels.
    There is no time for this! there is no time left.
    It is the raventime minion, you must be alone…

Students, I believe you both know to keep dueling to the stage.

Her power reached out, caressing the colourful aura of each student in turn, the red roil of Zander and the dark hues of Feliana mixing together like paint on a palette.

Zander you will be transferred to Blue Campus and the investigation teams, this is non-negotiable.” Relief and caution mixed on the man's face, it was less a punishment and more an official endorsement of his plans.

And Feliana you will remain on Red campus, I will be assigning you to the Office of Anomalies, see to it that you listen carefully to Professor Clayton’s instructions.” Her eyes never left her feet, but she couldn’t hide her shocked expression. The ‘punishment’ was practically a promotion, and lined up neatly with her already perfect student image.

Dismissed
    Lenient! Harsh! Punish them!
    Both looked up, offering quiet thank you's before locking eyes and glaring darkly.

I said dismissed.

They scurried away, nearly knocking over the Bursar as he came waddling into the room, closing the door in annoyance behind him.

Am I to assume you heard the whole thing old friend?
    So weak, so feeble!
    Such a waste, just finish it! Bring him to US!

Aye. They’ll be %$#!ing by the year’s end.

Your insight is appreciated as always old man. Do you have the verdict?

The Bursar nodded, his chins wobbling nervously as he handed over the yellowed scrolls.

Its true my lady, the mine is a bust, overflowing with unbound elementals and growing evermore unstable. Hiring adventurers may be our only option.

So be it.
    Yes! Good! Dig DEEP!
    No Danger! Death! Destruction! We must remain hidden!
    You are ours, ours to command ours to collect! Dog! Pet! Slave!
    SEEK
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2020-10-27 at 04:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Sunny days were always a questionable thing in The Nest, seeing as half of the time the city was cast in the shadow of the great hydra Khalos, looming over the horizon and blocking out the sun. Of course, the lack of sun was actually a welcome change for some of the denizens of The Nest, with Drow and other tunnel-folk only able to truly trade when Khalos was there watching over them.

Today was both especially shady, and especially busy, with open markets bustling as traders started to prepare for the rumoured announcements this afternoon. The Nest had been mostly insular in the past seasons, focusing on trading between local towns and small amounts of imports, but with words of new powers spreading across Hanrui, the governing officials were likely going to announce that the city would be open to longer range trading between nations.

Of course, all of that was just hearsay from the taverns, but it was better to be ready for a rumor and disappointed than it was to be surprised by it and behind on your preparation.

Lysa, one of the mouths of Khalos stood on the edge of the market waited. Khalos himself would growl to tell the townspeople to listen, and then it would be her to time to speak whatever showed on the parchment. Everyone was expecting to make comedic profits in the coming months, and if she delivered bad news it was going to be a rough evening, but she’d heard things too. She wore one of the many amulets that let her understand Khalos, and she’d listened through the walls. She knew that SOME trade was opening, she just didn’t know who was on the list, and whether the weapons peddlers or the coin traders would be happy.

The street shuddered with the thunderous growl of Khalos and silence immediately followed. Lysa felt the parchment in her hands heat for a moment as the announcement etched itself onto the paper. She took a deep breath and counted to ten before unsealing the scroll and reading aloud in unison with other mouths of Khalos across the city.

“Dear Members of the Guild, Khalos has considered the rising nations across Hanrui and has elected to open trade with the following parties:

The Spring Court of the Fae located to our South. Until more open communications are leveraged Guild members are requested to avoid the other courts. Please reference the guide on Fae contacts as written by Grand Warlock Hadful

The Legion of Balance with their arbitration hall. Though it is requested that trade of arms and armaments are delayed.

The Valance Lodge is open for direct trade, but please reference the list of banned substances within The Nest as many of their wares are on the list.

The Grand Collective shall continue to be open for trade under their new collective banner. Please reference the guide on Halfling customs and preferred mealtimes to avoid offense.

For all other nations, please await instruction in the coming seasons as trade deals are still possible but not allowed under guild contract at this time. “

There were murmurs in the crowd about the short list. Most of the traders knew more nations were on Hanrui and weren’t pleased about not being able to offer them weapons or magic.

“Furthermore,” Lysa continued as the scroll suddenly added more text, “the previous rulings may be disregarded by those in contact with adventuring parties in the coming months. If a nation can provide adventuring prowess the Khalos guild is interested in trade and shall accept those resources in replacement of Guild dues for the season.”

The murmuring stopped, and suddenly everyone at the Market had a lot of work to do.

Spoiler: To the Legion of Balance: MOR 4
    Show

The Khalos Guild welcomes your arrival on Hanrui and celebrates your agreeable position on balance and measured responses. We are writing to establish trade patterns as well as open communications about the lands surrounding our peoples.
    For trade, our accountants have noted that you distinctly lack MIL and MAG. Should you be in need of either of these stats we would be interested in trading them for MIL, REP or ECON.
    Please let us know your thoughts,
    Lysa, Mouth of Khalos.

Spoiler: To Valance Lodge MOR 4
    Show

The Khalos Guild celebrates your new openness, and welcomes you as a trading partner, though please reference the list of banned materials within the borders of Khalos Guild to avoid any political annoyances.
    In the coming months the Khalos Guild is planning multiple expeditions into the depths of local monster ecosystems that are bothering our guild members. If it is agreeable we would like to offer ECO, MOR, MIL, or ESP for some potions to power our adventuring parties. (ADV).
    Please let us know of anything you need.

Hadful, Mouth of Khalos.

Spoiler: To the Grand Collective MOR 4
    Show

The Khalos Guild celebrates your unification and is happy to trade with you as partners of the entire guild. Please find some tea from the North attached for your enjoyment.
    Khalos Guild is interested in leveraging some of your seasoned diplomats in negotiations over the coming months. Should you be interested we would be able to offer ECO, MOR, or MAG as trade for REP. Please let us know your availability for this sort of trade or if there is any other resource you would need.
    Have a lovely afternoon,
    Yasha, Mouth of Khalos.

Spoiler: To the Spring Court
    Show

The Stage is Set and the Archfew show themselves once more on the plane of Hanrui,

Though we have naught to offer the Fae at the moment, we humbly request open communications to allow for proper trade and deliberation in the future. I believe that the Spring court is the correct point of contact for our peoples, as many of your kin are patrons to adventures in our ranks.

Humbly,
    Grand Warlock Hadful

Last edited by Writtensanity; 2020-10-28 at 11:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

CRYSTALHEART COVENANT

In a small office that overlooked the bustling harbor of Port Adamis, Grandmaster Moray was hard at work, filling out and reading through forms. Looking at the stack of parchment she had yet to go through was making her balk so she pretended it didn't exist until she had to grab the next sheet. Every single parchment was a request of some kind. Whether it was for resources, land to build, repairs to facilities or ships, all of that in the port was coming through to her. Their nation was newly formed but there were several immediately apparent for the Covenant as a whole.

Most pressing to Isla Moray and her general mental health was to get more territory. There were far more people living in the port than could fit comfortably. That meant that all of these requests had to go through the Sapphire Tear who were in charge of the city, which meant they went through her and Isla swore she was getting a gray hair every day she had to spend endlessly signing off on paperwork. Not to mention she still had to prepare for the next set of rites, a new group of youths were getting ready to awaken their affinities, and that was actually her job.

A knock on the door distracted her. "Mmm." Isla didn't waste time raising her head, and the door opened after her acknowledging grunt. A voice spoke up, sounding like gravel. One that was familiar to Isla and had been for many years."

"We've got some news," the words were spoken by a man that looked to be favoring the human half of a minotaur. A fellow member of the Circle of Elements, Grandmaster Rolf of the Garnet Moon. The nereid spared a moment to look at him, eye flicking to the scroll held in his hand and then immediately went back to scanning the documents in front of her. She hated having this much work but she'd be damned if she wasn't going to do it right.

"Leave it on the stack with the others."

"It's a little different, Isla."

With a sigh, the nereid reluctantly slid the parchment she'd been reading off to the side, and held out one blue-skinned hand, waiting for her fellow Grandmaster to share what he had. Opening it up immediately her brows knit together, adding a little bit more to that near permanent furrow on her brow. "Our neighbors to the north, this Longshan Empire, are opening for trade?" The other Grandmaster nodded and stayed silent as Isla rose from her chair to look out the window, watching ships getting unloaded at the docks while she folded her arms in front of her.

This... could be a boon. It did call attention to the other primary issues affecting their fledgling nation. Besides the overcrowding, there was also their lack of resources. Nearly everything they had was being used or recycled in some way. That wasn't anything new to them, but for a more permanent solution they were going to need to acquire new resources that their new home did not have. The final issue was in some ways a different side of the same coin. As much as they needed resources they did not have, they did not have material they could effectively trade. The Gemwrights were always few in number and their efforts were critical to the success of the various castes, and making cheap jewelry would practically be an affront to their skill.

And Isla had been in this situation before. More than once had the offer of trade come through. More often than not, they sought to exploit the peoples of the Covenant, either to gain the secrets of the Gemwrights or take advantage of them in a myriad of other ways. The nereid was tempted to just tear up the proclamation on the spot.

"We need to expand, Rolf. We need more space for our people, and we need more resources if we're to flourish here. Call for the rest of the Circle, we need to discuss our options going forward from here. Getting on good terms with the neighbors probably isn't the worst thing we could do..." Rolf agreed and left the office, closing the door behind him and leaving Isla staring out into the harbor, and across the seas they had traveled to get here. Everything was different now, there was no longer a distant place on the horizon for them to run to. They were here now, in the place they belonged. "Bah, I'm starting to get a bunch of sappy sentiment as I'm getting older. This dumb paperwork isn't going to file itself." With a sigh and a groan, Isla returned to work until the Circle of Elements could be convened.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Clockwork Republic

Fame is an empty noise. The good - that is what we must pursue, whatever the price. Preferring the title of a dead hero to that of a living coward.

Symponia was not quite the land if could, but every day it reached closer to the ideal. The colonial capital grew with every new ship which passed through its harbour –more finished materials and chemical reagents to build with, more trade goods and literature with which to integrate the natives, more skilled labour to throw itself at the endless and ever-growing list of necessary tasks. The harbour was in the midst of being dredged, piers expanded and drydocks built, tenements and manufacturies and paced roads growing away from the waters edge in a perfect, regular grid – hills levelled and pits filled as required to maintain the pattern.

More distantly, the hinterland was well into the process of rationalization. Canals and wide, level roads led from all the major villages and market towns, and through them pumped the lifeblood of civilization – surveyors and jurists and cartographers, census-takers and academics and educators, chemical fertilizer and tempered steel tools, inoculation and sanitation, and all the other befits of Enlightened governance. After only a year, the most forward-thinking natives – and the children being taught in the newly established schools – were already capable of holding nearly any manner of conversation in the Republic’s carefully engineered Universal Language. From the objective and impartial view, the expedition first year on the newly risen continent was a triumph for Reason in the making. (This, at least, was the view of the Committees first annual report, sent back on one of the returning supply ships.)

The ‘Standing Committee on the Hanrui Question” had rather more authority than anyone unversed in the Republic’s labyrinthine bureaucracy might expect – full autonomy to survey for valuable resources, fleets and armies to secure them, and an eye-popping budget for whatever they might need to exploit them. Still, even in the beating heart of the Republic’s power, their meeting room looked much as you’d expect from the name. A bare wooden table, straight-backed, uncomfortable chairs, mind-numblingly accurate minutes, and copious amounts of the sludgy black caffeine that was very nearly the only vice Janissaries were officially permitted to partake in. The map dominating the centre of the table was, at least, extremely high quality.

Hira, the ideologist, took the minutes as they spoke. “If that’s every local matter dealt with, then I believe we can move on to our more pressing issues. That is, the racialist theocracy whose legitimacy is based on continuous conquest, and the steppe nomads who will be sweeping across the northern coast in pursuit of pastures and loot. Both of whom have militaries capable of overwhelming our own garrisons.”

Nese, the accountant, had an admirably blunt lack of interest in the nuances of diplomacy. “Well, they sound like lovely neighbours. Hire one to defend against the other? Make a generous gift, pay tribute, whatever the local term for high-end bribery is?”

Hayy, the explorer, ran a hand through his mustache as he looked down at the map and sighed “An excellent idea, if there wasn’t quite an impressive mountain range between their centres of power, save for the route which leads directly through us.”

“Who chose this deathtrap of a bay as our base, exactly? Did none of the surveyors bother checking a day in every direction before they-”

“Perhaps something worth discussing after we have come to a conclusion on the matters at hand, Coordinator?”

“Fine. Mercenaries?”

“It is a basic principle of social organization that unguarded wealth will attract brigands like scavengers to carrion. If we are to rely on them in the long-term, I worry that mercenaries might come to view us as easier prey than patrons. As a stop-gap, however, it may be the best option available.”

“Entirely right...if they are available. The continent’s barely done rising, and the waters and full of shoals and strange currents. We’d have to include navigation in whatever agreement we come to. Which may not be cheap.”

“We still have more cash than we have soldiers. And it’s a damn **** easier to find some slack in the joke of a budget we have than it is to find a trained musket company someone forgot about.”

“A potential avenue, then? I am certain you’re more than capable of securing acceptable terms, if there are any to be had. Hayy?”

“Second”

“A quorum unanimously agrees, then. But we cannot really on potentially unreliable auxiliaries supplied across the sea. Both of our neighbours are rather loathsome, but I am afraid it seems necessity compels us to live with them, if either is reasonable enough to entertain the idea.”

“Border agreements and trade deals to try and keep them sweet, then? Any of your faceless friends mention if either of them have anything we can pretend to want? Not that I’m writing these.”

“I’d be happy to, of course. And I really will need to know if we’ll have to spare any surveyors sooner rather than later.”

“I believe that is everything for the moment then. Peace and Reason, my friends. Until tomorrow.”
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Morale 5

Spoiler: The Ironhoof Khanate
    Show

To the Great Khan Artios of the Fellstriders, or his appointed plenipotentiary.

Greetings! I write on behalf of the Esheri Republic, and the colony of Symponia I have been charged with the protection of. We lie to the south and west of your fearsome confederation, and it does not take a genius to realize that we’ll soon be neighbours.

I have spent some years among the centaurs of the Kaliri steppe back on the mainland, and I have both a great respect for your culture and a healthy desire to never find myself on the wrong end of you javelins.

Should you grace us with your favour, my colleagues and I would wish to establish a permanent and formal embassy to travel with your court. Should you accept it, we would first of all pay our proper respects to a ruler such as yourself, and arrive at a frontier that we can keep peacefully, and trade agreements which would benefit us all.

May the light of Truth guide your path
    -Encyclopediest Hayy, of the Clockwork Republic of Esher

Spoiler: Phanos
    Show

To the secular authorities of the Phanosine Empire,

I hope this letter finds you well. I write on behalf of the Clockwork Republic of Esher, which has charged me with the guidance and security of the colony of Symponia.

Through an unfortunate accident of geography, our landing site has proven to be squarely positioned in your empire’s path beyond the mountains which now constrain it. And so, needless war being anathema to any objective morality, I write in the hopes of averting conflict and settling our frontiers peaceably.

What borders do your strategists seek, so that we might begin negotiations? To be forthright, in the coming months and years we plan to expand north and south from our current holding, and to the islands to out west, and so fully secure the seaborne approaches to Symponia. Beyond that, we have no immediate plans for or interest in expansion.

Peace and Reason

Academic Hira, Special Adviser to the Secretariat

Spoiler: Clan Baem
    Show

To to the All-Chief of Clan Baem, or whoever reads their mail and can make commitments in their name.

I’ll save us both some time and skip the flattery. You control a de facto spy network that easily outmatches what my government can call upon, let alone any of our less-than-friendly seeming neighbours, and a...non-zero number of what we can charitably call irregular line troops. Conversely, you’ve got ****-all in the way of cash and the internal cohesion of a drunken mob. Most importantly, you have a reputation for being commercially-minded, for a bunch of witches and assassins, and an obscenely strategic location for a headquarters.

My government has the tremendous luck of two neighbours with very different reputations. So, at a minimum I want to see if you’re interested in resolving some inefficiencies and establishing a regular trade route (and just what you’re looking for and willing to part with).

But mostly, I figure the odds of us ending up in one war or another before the year’s out are easily north of even. So, what would be the price to pay for your intervention on our side?

-Coordinator Nese, Ranking Member of the Committee of Industry and Progress (Hanrui)

Spoiler: The Valence Lodge
    Show

To the Grand Archymist of the Valence Lodge,

So, first of all, please don’t do anything too horrifying to the messenger. I actually like this one.

But, anyway – you can consider this letter a formal statement of of interest in retaining the services of your Lodge, either on a case-by-case basis or possibly on permanent retainer. Given how well-informed you’re supposed to be, I’ll save myself the effort of describing the delicate situation my government is in, so I’ll simply say that we’re very interested in either measures to provide security for out colony or punitive contingencies in the event of war.

Speaking for myself, and some of the more interesting Academics, we’d also like to send a formal diplomatic mission and station a permanent consul or representative at De Leuteum Manor. For all the superstition you drown it in, from the reports I’ve read you really do some amazing work, and are one of the four or five powers in this virtueless archipelago that aren’t totally hopeless. Formal cooperation and coordination would be ideal, but fair’s fair if you’re just looking to sit on the side-lines and get paid.

-Coordinator Nese, Ranking Member of the Committee of Industry and Progress (Hanrui)

Spoiler: The Red College
    Show

To the Phoenix Voice, her secretary, or whoever handles unsolicited letters and bizarre requests, my warmest greetings.

I apologize for writing out of the blue, as it were. I’m contacting you as something of an admirer – for all the sorcerers and warlocks flocking to these risen lands, it’s a profound relief to see at least group who takes comprehending the mechanics of reality as an intellectual matter rather than an ecstatic one.

There’s a fair bit of desert and mountain between us, of course (not to mention their inhabitants), but I did want to see about the possibility of dispatching a formal mission. Or more than that – the metaphysicians and theurges in my charge are sitting rather idle at the moment, and if you could pay their expenses or provide a training mission of your mercenaries in return, spending a few months being directed by experts trained under a different view would do them good.

May your eyes ever be unclouded,
    -Academic Cahit, Committee on Applied Metaphysics, Esheri Republic

Spoiler: The Grand Collective
    Show

To the Great Council of Elders of the Grand Collective of the First Hill Hobbits of Taedhea and Surrounding Countryside

I hope this letter finds you well.

While certain unfortunate accidents of geography do limit the practical import of it, I do wish to formally offer the regards and salutations of the Clockwork Republic of Esher. It is a sincere pleasure to find ourselves sharing a continent with as advanced and civilized a government as your own.
    If it would not impose upon your hospitality, we would dispatch a formal and permanent embassy to New Taedhea, and open formal relations between our states. And, if you are amenable, to discuss alliance and coordination in diplomacy, politics and trade.

Peace and Reason,

Spoiler: Khalos Guild
    Show

To the desk of Guildmaster Khalos,

I hope this letter finds you well.

While certain unfortunate accidents of geography do limit the practical import of it, I do wish to formally offer the regards and salutations of the Clockwork Republic of Esher. It is a sincere pleasure to find ourselves sharing a continent with as advanced and civilized a government as your own – and doubly so to find a purely native development.

If it would not impose upon your hospitality, we would dispatch a formal and permanent embassy to The Nest, to open formal relations. And, if you are amenable, to begin negotiations on commercial matters, once certain logistical difficulties have been resolved.

Peace and Reason,

Last edited by St. Justicar; 2020-10-27 at 10:35 PM.
    Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

7. - Top - End - #7

PaladinGuy

The Red Aurora College

Morale 4

Players

The Clockwork Republic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Esteemed Cahit,
    I am delighted that you should reach out to me even as the ink was drying on a message penned to you. Our lands may be far apart but I hope our interests might lie closer together. Certainly you will find a healthy distrust for monarchs among our student body!

Alas our facilities here on Hanrui are still in their infancy, and while of course we will be setting up projects to better educate the people of Hanrui and the world, for now our focus lies in stabilizing our foothold in this strange land. That said there is no reason to prevent earlier relations between our nations. There is a project I am intending to pursue this season and I think we could work together to great benefit to both our factions. A proposal to the World Congress to educate promising proteges to the highest degree. (OOC: Bonus XP for VIPs) Would you be interested in working together on such a project? I know the Clockwork Republic has several promising members who would surely benefit from such a program.

Best Regards,
    77 - The Voice Phoenix

The Fae of the Four Courts - Winter Court of Nascent Wonders
    Spoiler
    Show
    Keepers of the Year’s Ashes and heralds of Rebirth, I have known many courts similar to yours, but none are ever quite alike. I am 77 - The Phoenix Voice. I have brought my troupe to Hanrui in search of magical secrets, and wish to cause no offense to the greatest keepers of magic these lands have to offer.

There is a project I am intending to pursue this season and I think we could work together to great benefit to both our factions. A proposal to the World Congress to educate promising proteges to the highest degree. (OOC: Bonus XP for VIPs) Would you be interested in working together on such a project? I am sure the Four Courts might at least draw some amusement from such a program.

Best Regards,
    77 - The Voice Phoenix

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ᛖᛚᛞᚨ ᚺᚨᚠᚾᚨᚱ
    Elda Háfnar, aka 'The Farthest Fleet'

Morale 4

"From stranger tides, the Farthest Fleet hearkens,
    oars dipped in blood, cruel new masters' demand;
    our seas they will spoil, our skies they will darken,
    and woe they will bring unto all of our lands.
    "
    - Last Scroll of Volnagur the End-Singer

There are three shapes that occlude the horizons, before the sails, before the drums and bared steel and the worse-than deaths. These are the black, forbidden things that man is not meant to know of and the sane are not meant to chase. Those unfortunate enough to bear knowledge of their nature would speak of these shapes only in the faintest and most timorous of whispers. Yet such dreaded repositories of equivocal secret and immemorial tales grow in the telling; they trickle down the streams of time from the days of man’s reckless youth, and those fantastic eras that preceded them.

Spoiler: ᛋᚴᚨᛞᛁᚨ, ᛖᛏᛖᚱᚾᛁᛏᚤ’ᛋ ᛋᚺᚨᛞᛟᚹ
    Show

The first emerges silently, skating from the ephemeral with a grace that belies its enormity. Tattered wings of devolved silk unspun by light catch the winds by surprise, an ambush upon reality. Its prow makes no sound as it cuts over waves, blots of peeling, umbral space unfurling around its passing. It never touches water, air, or light, existing instead as though on the other side of some tenebrous veil. To look upon it is to know mortality, for its maddened whispers subject the listeners the endless and horrid march of time.

ᛋ̴̡̲̺͕͓͐̓ᛖ̷̢̤̅͛̾̆̑͋͘ᛖ̸̧̲̥̹̼̣̩͛͛̽̐̅͜ͅᚴ̷̧̡̢͍̬͈̎ ̱

Spoiler: ᛗᛃᚨᛖᚱᛁᚱ, ᛏᚺᛖ ᛈᚱᛟᚷᛖᚾᛁᛏᛟᚱ
    Show

The next of the shapes a truly feral thing, all leviathan bones and teeth held together by sinews and sails made from patchwork skin. Its appearance on the waves is always accompanied by a chorus of shrieks and roars, for it is the breeding and nesting ground of a number of eldritch creatures. In the seas and skies around it, flicks of loathsome yrthaks and mi-go from insane worlds, schools of megaladon and other ancient fish driven mad by their very proximity to this altar of barbarism, and even the distant shadow of kraken make their home.

ᚲ̵͍͎̰̰͔͚̻̦͖̈́̈́̀̅̓̀̐̾̾ᛟ̵̛̝̔̉͛̌̾͝ᚾ̷̛̹̼̱̠̺̮̟̮̫̇̉̿̾͂̀̄͘ ᛋ̸̨͓͈̅͊̎͑̕͜ᚢ̴̨̧̙͉̠̲̬̉͝ᛗ̶͖̗͓̙̦̀̂͛̇̀́̊́͛ͅᛖ̷́́̈́̓̐̈̆̊́ ̫̗̯͔̥̯

Spoiler: ᚨᛚᛞ-ᛏᚺᚨᚢᛗ, ᛏᚺᛖ ᛚᛁᚡᛁᚾᚷ ᛋᛏᛟᚱᛗ
    Show

Finally, in the building dark, the last shape arrives. Its presence is heralded by the ruinous roars of the sky rent asunder, a living storm that begs for death with each new thunderclap. Boiling, noxious clouds of ochre and midnight blue leave the heady scent of iron on the tongue, the promise of sweet oblivion. Its body is burnished bones from the seafloor, twined together by strands of hissing fog and lazy lightning, save for a titanic spine of onyx and silver. Each league that it passes leaves less behind it, for all is swept up into its wake.

ᛞ̶̱͕͋͌̒ᛖ̸̛͙̥̲̗̟͖͓͓̓̓̿̓ᛗ̴̡̡̣̯̖͑̾̈͂̌̄̐̚ᛏ̷̘̒̀̓̋̈́̃̄͑ᚱ̸ ̆̌̏̚ͅᛟ̴̡̰͎̦͕͎̚ᚤ̶̨̥̲̱̰͕̦̙̇̈

Behind them come those bound to their purpose. Carrion crows all, crews of what used to be men and women, now turned to fell purpose. Glory once counted among them a friend; now it is a hollow companion, more to mark the shedding of innocent blood. The legends who cast long strides upon the earth and sea in better days look back on the bays and inlets of a new land, and their daring is turned to hunger. The crows are not the only birds to take flight behind the andverden: alongside them are blind sparrows, gibbering oracles, prophets beyond the faintest trace of reason. They scribe runes and court visions from beyond the horizon, from their Beautiful Void, heedless of the consequences. They will be the ruin of this age, or perhaps its salvation. Fate has not yet foretold their role to play.

In Skepnhaus, in the head of the great dead beast, the Drowned Moot - the leaders of the Farthest Fleet - plan. Across the great broken helm that serves as council table is spread maps and indecipherable texts, eldritch rituals and battle plans. Kannir Aslund holds court as most senior emissary of the void, yet the captain of the Daemoniac is only first among equals. Beside him is the deathless berserker Rikke ys Trobald of the Glimnir’s Smile, the alien cephalopod Zaotlus and his monstrous auxiliaries from the cyclopean brig The Weeping Eye, and the young and bold Eitri ys Hasjalm of the xebec Sunken Skald. On the other side of the table are two more of the Fleet’s leaders: the sorcerous Hilde Aslundsdöttir, leader of the Kult Hala and captain of the Hellström and Hjordis ys Orvar, admiral of the Fleet and captain of the man o’war Khombriss Depths.

All of them have heard the words from beyond, and know well the call they have returned from Glimnir to heed. The doors below are open, and they will travel to the deepest heart. But there are other concerns as well: foreign ports, names of nations that have made this Hanrui, this resting place, a crux for their own ambitions. There will need to be missives sent, declarations announced and vows made. When the scrolls are sent, they are done so in the talons of wyrd-ravens, whose three heads croak of the past, present, and future all at once and whose plumage is both jet black and every color under the dim sun.

Spoiler: To the Celestial Empire of Longshan
    Show
    Fair winds and clear skies to you, Emperor Xisun of the Long Shan.

Our scout ships have reported seeing your sails on the northern waves of late, and we have witnessed your ports from afar. The prophets have witnessed your strength, piety, and tradition, all the better to rule an empire as it should be done.

As long as you keep to the mountains and shores, you will have nothing to fear from the Elda. What we seek lies under the waves, and so the seas will be our domain. If you wish to trade in the future, the forces of the Farthest Fleet may hear you out. For now, we are content to vow under the sightless skies of Glimnir and your own gods that no ship nor raider will despoil your shores, provided that your people can promise the same to us.

Enclosed, you will find a stelae stone with my inscription, and those of my ancestors. It has travelled beyond the end of this world, and brought good fortune to me and my family. It is my hope that you will share in our past prosperity.

ᚴᚨᚾᚾᛁᚱ ᚨᛗᛚᚢᚾᛞ,
    Kannir Aslund, First Captain of the Drowned Moot and Speaker for the Void

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We are willing to draft a non-aggression pact between the Celestial Empire and the Farthest Fleet. We are promising not to invade any territories on the (heretofore unnamed) north-western continent of Hanrui and will not launch any stat attacks or interfere in any of the Celestial Empire’s dealings. In exchange, the Fleet expects the Celestial Empire to stay off of the water, leaving the islands off the coast (46-48) alone and to similarly refrain from attacking the Fleet’s operations.

Additionally, it should be known that we are offering the Silverhammer Protectorate, Red Aurora College, and Crystalheart Covenant the same non-aggression pact terms.

Spoiler: To the Silverhammer Protectorate
    Show
    Brightest horizons and calm tides to you, Lord Protector Halgeir Silverhammer.

Our scouts have heard the drums from the deep, and witnessed the rising of your people from the crypts. The prophets have witnessed your loyalty beyond even death, and respect the devotion you hold to your ideals.

As long as you keep to the mountains and hills, you will have nothing to fear from the Elda. What we seek lies under the waves, and so the seas will be our domain. If you wish to trade in the future, the forces of the Farthest Fleet may hear you out. For now, we are content to vow under the sightless skies of Glimnir and your own gods that no ship nor raider will despoil your shores, provided that your people can promise the same to us.

Enclosed, you will find a folded sail from my xebec, Daemoniac. It was struck by lightning in a storm at world’s end, and is testament to the survival of faith beyond the boundaries of nature. I hope that you take it as a gesture of the respect I have for your people.

ᚴᚨᚾᚾᛁᚱ ᚨᛗᛚᚢᚾᛞ,

Show
    We are willing to draft a non-aggression pact between the Farthest Fleet and the Silverhammer Protectorate. We are promising not to invade any territories on the (heretofore unnamed) north-western continent of Hanrui and will not launch any stat attacks against the Protectorate. In exchange, the Fleet expects the Silverhammer Protectorate to stay off of the water, leaving the islands off the coast (46-48, and 28-29) alone and to similarly refrain from attacking the Fleet’s operations.

Additionally, it should be known that we are offering the Celestial Empire, Red Aurora College, and Crystalheart Covenant the same non-aggression pact terms.

Spoiler: To the Crystalheart Covenant
    Show
    Blessed currents and fortunate voyages to you, Grandmaster Isla Moray.

I approach you as a fellow journeyman, an explorer of note who has seen much of the world - and beyond - past the edge of my prow. The Farthest Fleet has travelled farther than most, but I know that those who sail under your banner put our name to the test. Unlike some of our other captains, I respect your ambition and desire to forge a new path.

To that end, I am extending a conditional offer of peace between our two factions. You have nothing to fear from the Elda... provided that your future explorations do not take you deeper than the shallows. What the Fleet seeks does not lie inland, but below the waves of Hanrui; we can stay out of each other’s way and both remain the more prosperous for it. The Fleet may be open to trading with your Covenant in the future.

In keeping with tradition, I have enclosed a map of the Utar islands of my birth, which have long since sunk beneath the waves. It is my hope that these charts will add to your collection.

ᛖᛁᛏᚱᛁ ᛃᛋ ᚺᚨᛋᛃᚨᛚᛗ
    Eitri ys Hasjalm, Horizon-Seeker and Captain of the Drowned Moot

Show
    We are willing to draft a non-aggression pact between the Farthest Fleet and the Crystalheart Covenant. We are promising not to invade any territories on the (heretofore unnamed) north-western continent of Hanrui and will not launch any stat attacks against the Covenant. In exchange, the Fleet expects the Crystalheart Covenant to stay off of the water, leaving all islands off the coast (46-48, 35, and 28-29) alone and to similarly refrain from attacking the Fleet’s operations.

Additionally, it should be known that we are offering the Celestial Empire, Red Aurora College, and Silverhammer Protectorate the same non-aggression pact terms.

Spoiler: To the Red Aurora College
    Show
    Fate and fortune be in your favor, wise Voice of the Phoenix.

Since the Elda’s arrival on this new Hanrui, I have been hearing whispers of the great works being undertaken at the Red Aurora College. The predilection for magical discovery and arcane insight has piqued my curiosity, and I have persuaded my father and the rest of the Drowned Moot to consider striking a deal with you rather than raising our banners for war.

The Farthest Fleet and the powers at our disposal are, to be frank, not interested in anything above the surface of the waves. What we seek lies in the depths, out of reach. As such, the Fleet is prepared to make pacts to swear off any landings on your shores, in exchange for certain promises to leave the waters alone and stay out of the Fleet’s affairs.

In the future, I also hope to liaise with you regarding the trade of magical talent and artifacts. The Elda and Aurora college might prove to be useful allies, given time and proper cooperation.

ᚺᛁᛚᛞᛖ ᚨᛋᛚᚢᚾᛞᛋᛞᛟᛏᛏᛁᚱ
    Hilde Aslundsdöttir, Hala's Chosen

Show
    We are willing to draft a non-aggression pact between the Farthest Fleet and the Red Aurora College. We are promising not to invade any territories on the (heretofore unnamed) south-western continent of Hanrui and will not launch any stat attacks against the College. In exchange, the Fleet expects the Red Aurora College to stay off of the water, leaving all islands off the coast (27-29) alone and to similarly refrain from attacking the Fleet’s operations.

Additionally, it should be known that we are offering the Celestial Empire, Silverhammer Protectorate, and Crystalheart Covenant the same non-aggression pact terms.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-01-10 at 07:26 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Clockwork Republic
    Morale 5

Spoiler: Red Aurora College
    Show

To 77, the Voice Phoenix

(I hope this is the correct way to address you. My sincere apologies if not)

A pity, but entirely understandable. Something to revisit in the coming months and years then, I hope.

As for your counter-proposal, I’ve brought it to my colleagues on the colony’s executive committee, and on balance they’re quite enthusiastic about the idea. Not that out voice counts for particularly much in the halls of the Congress, at the moment, but what votes we have can be counted on to support your proposal.

May your eyes ever be unclouded,
    Academic Cahit, Committee on Applied Metaphysics, Esheri Republic
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy Phanos:

Spoiler
    Show

A Town Inside Groh - Hiu Brighteyes:

“... ugh things are certainly starting to become dangerous, Yurian…” Hiu sighed out the growing tension in him rising again as he sat cross legged, book in lap, overlooking the oasis town called Rivertail from a nearby hill. A nice enough place and useful for those that needed to rest from trekking; it was a spot that Hiu liked to return to at times and admire. Even if it lacked the grandeur shown in Holy High it held everything Hiu could hope for in a town; clean water, enough food for the people here, tasteful architecture that was not too gaudy (the nephilim had bad habits with that Hiu noticed), nice locals, and best of all-

“Hey” said a boy from behind Hiu.

-the peace. Hiu made sure to quickly suppress the show of unwelcome surprise on his face before turning to look at him with a smile.

Spoiler: Knife not included
    Show

Hiu could not quite stop himself from looking surprised at the hostility from the boy. “Hello?” he said questioningly.

“Your in my spot.” the boy said without a hint of fear at Hiu’s size.

Hiu’s face could not suppress the ‘what?!’ look fast enough to hide from the boy “Sorry... but I got here first.”

“So? It was my spot first. You're not from around here, and melqart Tyblious never introduced you.”

Yurian are you testing me?! Hiu thought as he began to sweat a little from the awkwardness of the situation for him. But after a moment he closed his book, stood up facing the boy and laughed a bit at the ridiculousness of this situation. “By Yurian’s golden glow you have no fear. Fine, you deserve this.” He then sat back in the air facing the town, a bit wasteful use of Yurian’s blessing but his pride was hurt somewhat…

“Hmph” said the child as he took his spot on top of the hill with an audible thud, then began to rummage around in his bag.

Hiu rubbed his chin a bit before asking “What is your name?”

“Honakey,” the boy said.

“What are you doing up here?”

“My parents and melqart Tyblious said not to talk to strangers.” Honakey replied with bringing out a journal of their own and a pen.

“Even nephilim like me?” Hiu felt really confused at where this bravery was coming from.

The boy looked over at Hiu and rised an eyebrow “Hmph your too small and skinny to be one of them, your not that much taller than melqart Tybilous.”

Oh… that’s why. At least Tybilious’s seems respected here? Hiu thought a bit annoyed at his short stature being brought up again, by a child no less. Hiu not really wanting to deal with this anymore and put a hand to his head groaning a bit. “Ugh I’m, well…” he’d really rather not say who he was and ruin one of his favorite reading spots “I suppose I should leave, Yurian bless you.”

Hiu engulfed himself in light to transport himself home thinking Ugh, good thing no one saw this… the Ba’al’s would have a fit if they could see this. Is this just you telling me I should get back to work, Yurian?

Spoiler
    Show

Holy High, Home of the Divine - Hiu Brighteyes:

As Hiu appeared atop his home he gave a moment of thought to the surrounding city that had sprung up. It was certainly far more grand than anything else one could see on Phanos, though the amount of work that was put into masonry to look pretty could have been used elsewhere it was not Hiu’s role to decide for the chosen what they must do, only guide them… the Ba’als had the final say on most matters.

Ah, yes, the Ba’als. Hiu should probably see how they are handling recent events.

Hiu glided down his tall tower and began to make his way to the grand chamber where the Ba’als were having their meeting this day. By Yurian’s grace he hoped that they were not too riled up at the new neighbor’s demands, he mainly left today to study so they could get most of the anger out of them before getting his official recommendation and replying.

Guards and clergy mostly ignored him as he passed by, seeing his silence and glances away as a sign that he did not consider them worth his time. He almost got away with entering the great chamber without speaking with a single soul when he heard a “Hey!” to the right of him.

Spoiler: It was a loud friend of his, Pick Indemorus
    Show

Hiu stopped mid-stride and glanced over at Pick making sure to look calculated and a bit cold. “Greetings Pick.”

It seemed to get the message across as Pick put his hands in front of him “H-hey Hiu don’t look at me like that! Having a bad day? I thought you said you’d be away from the council till tomorrow.”

Hiu began walking again with Pick behind him “... I encountered something that made me decide to return here urgently.” Yes, framing it that way might in some respect rather than ‘a minor’s kid interrupted my reading and I did not want to do anything about it’. “Have the Ba’als calmed down?”

“Well…” Hiu heard the beginnings of an understatement “I suppose so. They’ve stopped screaming at least.”

‘By Yurian they’re emotions flare hard’ Yurian thought, then added ‘I suppose it’s in our blood.’

Hiu and Pick caught up with one another while walking to the grand chamber, parting ways once Hiu entered the chamber where the Ba’als were discussing the recent message sent to them.

“Outrageous blasphemers!”
    “Insolence!”
    “They dare think they can take what is rightfully ours?!”
    “They shall burn for this!”

“Perhaps they simply do not know who we are yet.”
    “They might respond well to guidance.”
    “They might be useful.”
    “Give them a chance to hear us.”
    “If they know what we are capable of they’ll back down.”

Hiu was actually somewhat glad, some of them appeared to have calmed down. Though the divine energy in the room emanating from the Ba’als was still glowing a bit too brightly for Hiu’s comfort; he strode into the middle of the room holding down an inner scream as he put on a bored look towards the onlooking Ba’als who quickly silenced themselves except for a large eagle headed woman who spoke up.

“Hiu Brighteyes?! Why have you returned early?”

“Unexpected events lead me to urgently return here, lady Urial.” Hiu said again, the words flowing better a second time. “We do not have much time to argue amongst ourselves, the powers of Hanrui are beginning to move and we blessed of Yurian must as well.” Hiu glanced around at the chamber “Have you even made up your minds on what to say to the godless men? And the other powers?”

The entire council was silent before multiple contradicting statements were given to Hiu. He pinched the upper part of his nose while raising his other hand “Enough, Ba’als, your grandiose dementors merits those of Yurian’s ilk, but it is not what we need today”. He looked back at the crowd “Let me help.”

Moral 8

Spoiler: Elda Háfnar
    Show
    The message arrives tied to a golden arrow shot from afar, though beyond a dramatic bit of light showing it’s arrival it held no other strange functions.

Greetings sailors of the Farthest Fleet, we’ve sensed you and your gods have come to Hanuri and wished to welcome you here as fellow servants of the divine.

May you find both your and Yurian’s blessing.

-Illuminated Council of Phanos

Spoiler: The Fae Court of Winter
    Show
    A pink woman 9ft tall arrives carrying a message, she seems to be able to control her hair.

Greetings those of the illustrious court of Winter.

Despite the source of our magical natures and cultures being different, we children of Yurian find much within the Court of Winter that we empathize with deeply. Most of all, the importance of the individual both physically and otherwise.

I hope that in the future we may be able to open and learn from one another in the future.

May Yurian keep you safe.

-Hiu Brighteyes

Spoiler: The Clockwork Republic
    Show
    To our neighbours south of Phanos’s eastern border

Your messenger seemed quite confused, giving their message to a minor clan’s mayor instead of a melqart or the council. I will admit, the council was enraged when they heard your claim to the lands north of your current occupation, a part of the desert of Phanos.

I and a slight majority among the Illuminated Council understand this to be a misunderstanding, and that you would not invade the desert of Phanos understanding it to be what it was. If you wish to negotiate access to the lands north of Phanos I am sure that the Council will hear you, your geographical situation is indeed a predicament that we sympathize with.

Yurian bless you in peace.

-Hiu Brighteyes

Spoiler: Crystalheart Covenant
    Show
    Bless you those of the Covenant.

We of Phanos have noticed your words and deem them Good, and wish to open communication between us.

Yurian bless you in peace.

-The Illuminated Council

Spoiler: The Celestial Empire
    Show
    Delivered by a tall man who wore no shirt, instead bearing white feathers along with a glowing halo.

To the new Emperor Xisun of the Celestial Empire.

Greetings illustrious emperor, we hope to find you in good health. We of the holy lands of Phanos wished to open diplomatic ties between you and us; as well as ask what your thoughts on the current possible agendas of the world congress.

May the light of Yurian shine on you and your lands.

-The Illuminated Council

Spoiler: The Red College
    Show
    Sent by a 14ft tall man with goat legs and rabbit ears wearing grey robes with a sun symbol on it.

“Yurian blessings to you among the Red College that would listen to our council’s message. I have come from the holy land of Phanos to say that word of your struggles and accomplishments has reached us. We, children of the god of Hanuri, welcome you and pray you find the wealth you seek under our god. The Illuminated Council has also requested open diplomatic embassies between our people.”

Spoiler: The Grand Collection
    Show
    Sent by a 13ft tall woman with scales along her arms and legs, and two great wings on her back.

Greetings to our soft kind neighbors to the west. We of the holy land of Phanos wish to open diplomatic ties with you so future proposals may be more easily shared between each other.

Yurian bless you and your works.

-The Illuminated Council

Show
    The message arrives by a green-skinned woman who's skin was wood and her nails claws

Greetings children of the clan Baem. We, the children of the god of Hanuri, welcome you and wish you well; and to also extend an offer of embassies between our people for easy communication.

Blessings in peace

-Hiu Brighteyes
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-10-28 at 10:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

The Fae of the Four Courts

All messages Morale 4.

Spoiler: To Phanos, Land of the Chosen of Yurian
    Show

The message, when opened, releases a burst of cold air, and darkens lights within a 2.8 metre radius.

Sun scorches. Pride burns. Power divides. Do not dare to draw parallels between our court and yours. You are beings of fire and light, who subjugate and conquer. Politeness is noted, and notion of retribution discarded. Do not trouble us with your tidings again.

The message is unsigned.

Show
    Your emissaries are barred from the Winter Court. Autumn will be pleased to hear of this. The opinions of Spring and Summer are unchanged. You may yet find an ally in Summer, Spring, or Autumn.

Spoiler: To the Red Aurora College
    Show

The message, when opened, summons a crisp wind, filled with playful laughter.

Courts fade. Courts change. What difference does it make? All are Fae. Your praise is appreciated. Your praise is acknowledged.

You are not yet trusted. You are not yet proven. Words, whispered, with no deeds behind them. Grant us a token, devotion, promise, and we will sway those who stand against this proposal.

Oh, what grand displays we expect from you. Do not disappoint us.

It is signed “Duke of Frigid Serenity”.

Show

Because your rep is relatively low, the Winter Court is asking for [1 MAG] for their four votes at the next congress. They will not be offended if you decline this offer, or seek to negotiate.

Your standing with the Winter Court slightly increased. The opinions of Spring, Autumn, and Summer are unchanged. You may yet find an ally in any of the Four Courts.

Spoiler: To the Valence Lodge
    Show

The message is delivered plainly, by an ordinary-looking woman.

You, who share land. New shoots. Blossom. Mountains crumble. Forests burn. Tides surge. Fortune falls. Come, and speak with us, or suffer. No harm, so long as you keep to the rules. Joyous. Mournful. Anticipation.

The Four Courts of Hanrui will be offended if they are not messaged by your faction this turn.

Spoiler: To the Clockwork Republic, the Crystalheart Covenant, the Khanate of the Iron Hoof, the Silverhammer Protectorate, and Clan Baem
    Show

The message is delivered plainly, with no adornment, from an ordinary-looking man or woman with no face.

Neighbors. Old forests watch new stirrings. Masks are donned. Masks are. A new age approaches. Send us your emissaries, if you dare, and win the favour of the Courts.

The Four Courts of Hanrui will not be offended if they are not messaged by your factions this turn.

Spoiler: To the Grand Collective of the First Hill Hobbits of Taedhea and Surrounding Countryside Under the Administration of the Great Council of Elders, Colony of the Exceptional Alliance of Free Hobbits Administrated by the Parliament of Duly Elected Officials
    Show

The message is delivered by a very bemused-looking courier.

How delightful. How strange. Generosity and greed in equal measure. Respect and dedication. Pleasure and friendship. Open doors and hushed rooms. Oh, it has been so long. It has begun! The Four Courts welcome you to Hanrui with open arms and hidden smiles. We name you Friend of Fae. Respect, if mutual, shall always be reciprocated.

It is simply signed “The Courts”.

Show

Your standing with the Winter Court greatly increased. Your standing with the Summer Court greatly increased. Your standing with the Spring Court greatly increased. Your standing with the Autumn Court greatly increased.

Spoiler: To the Khalos Guild
    Show

The message is found carved into a boulder, which is launched just outside of the city limits of the closest settlement.

Hail and well met! Should you be sons and daughters of glory, honour, and adventure, you are welcome in our lands. You would have been received at Autumn with respect and glee, but we are glad you chose Spring.

You have offered us kind words and respect, which is an offering unto itself. It is noted. We look forward to further missives.

It is signed “The Knight of the Glorious Pilgramage”

Show

Your standing with the Spring Court increased. Your standing with the Autumn Court slightly decreased. The opinions of Winter and Summer are unchanged. You may yet find an ally in any of the Four Courts.

Spoiler: To the Legion of Balance
    Show

The message, when opened, releases a gentle aurora of pleasing colours, which whirls softly for 4.7 second before fading.

Rise and fall, life and death, dawn and dusk. Everything changes. Nothing changes. Endless balance. Should it tip, you will wait and strike with words as you did with sword. We watched once. We watch now.

Purity. Purpose. Divine.

It is rare that we are unified. You have the respect of Two and Two, of One and One and One and One. You may expand unfettered by us.

It is simply signed
    “The Courts”.

Show

The Four Courts of Hanrui are renouncing all claims on Territories 52 and 53.

Your standing with the Winter Court greatly increased. Your standing with the Summer Court greatly increased. Your standing with the Spring Court greatly increased. Your standing with the Autumn Court greatly increased.

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2020-10-28 at 11:33 PM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Clan Baem

Idol's end could be a jewel, if simply for its location, had its inhabitants not been too spent when they arrived to care for city planning or aesthetics.

Yet Chin Hae seemed happy while walking across it, if only for how nostalgic seeing the petals from his homeland's trees carried by the breeze they had barely any time to grow, but they seemed to take well to this land, he could only hope they did as well.

Lanterns started lighting his path as dusk turned night, the bustle relented not one bit, it may have even increased. He picked through a few words here and there, it was a good habit, at least in his line of work, but he certainly regretted how grim everyone's thoughts were, even the youngsters not even in such a hopeful day... a pity

As he approached the town center his hair tingled, and he didn't doubt anybody's with an inch of Baem blood did the same, the energy of this year's ritual weighted heavier as the day closed. he entered a nearby den to smoke a bit before heading to his home, he remembered very little from his own bloodletting, nothing but a tiny residue of a scar to prove it happened, soon the tingle stopped and he debated going to receive orders now that the all-chief was free but decided against, he'll be summoned if needed, no matter the time, so may as well rest for now.

Mor 2

Show
    Coordinator Neese,

I like the your cut, and judging by what I'm going to write the All chief does as well, since your companions do also seem to be handling some of the diplomacy I'd like to make a polite suggestion that you be the one who keeps talking to us, in the interest of reaching an agreement.

aside from that:

We are too early to put a fair price on our aid, as you'll understand. Though a territory of our choosing (to be granted when your troops aren't busy of course) would surely convince us as our islands, while obscenely well located, are getting crowded.

As for more easy pickins, funds are slim, and you hit the money, so name the pathetic ammount you'll pay for assasinations and witchery so we can work our way down from the stupid high ammount we'll ask in return.

One of our junks will pay you a visit when the trade routes are worth a fee, though if you want them now we can start with the pay and get to the doing soon enough.

-Success and luck, Clan Baem.

Show
    A light junk flits near enough for a lantern to be seen, clearly chosen for its speed, a feminine voice starts booming from it, clearly heard by anyone close to the larger ships while silent to any past them1.

"Clan Baem salutes you, oh, new arrivals.

As you have made little effort to hide your like for promises of peace and love of coastal land, particularly islands.

we would be very grateful if you did one, a very loud one, of those promises with us so we can peacefully discuss which islands that we are not currently occupying you really need, which you want and anything else your people feel like discussing.

Have some tea while you write the non-agression pact"

the booming voice stopped, and after a bit some crates were carried by the waves towards some of the most approachable ships containing surprisingly dry tea leaves and very cheap teapots.

Spoiler: Celestial Empire of Longshan
    Show
    a chirping bird from far away lands kowtows before an approved imperial emissary sanctioned for negotiating with foreigners, after standing up its eyes glow red and it speaks in as neutral a voice as can be.

"Greatest of respects to the empire, and its' emperor's wise choice of oppening borders, let it be known that should Clan Baem receive a gift they will give appropiate tribute back, both what gift and tribute entails can be discussed if needed" The bird stands calm, waiting for an answer.

Spoiler: Legion of Balance
    Show
    To the Lady Saladrahal,

We are looking forward to being your neighbours and would like to assist your mission any way we can, pragmatically of course, as you will understand balance is important in reciprocity as well, do let us know if you need anything and we'll be sure to do the same.

-Clan Baem.

Show
    The greenskinned woman finds an easy time travelling towards someone worth delivering the letter too, only inspiring a whistle and some cat calls from woodsman bringing the fruits of their effort home.

She is invited to drink something in a bar open to the street which struggled to accomodate the giantess while the person receiving the message runs to the monument by the town center, the reply comming as a whisper from the air.

"Greetings to you and respect to whoever rules the land ours trod in.

An embassy would be most welcome, animal messangers and letters lead to misunderstandings, just know that the currents around our islands are yet to be explored properly, and one or two embassies may be lost on the way, taking into consideration both your divine gifts and how often you may sail in a desert"

-Fortune and meaning, Clan Baem.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2020-10-29 at 02:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Exclamation Re: Total War Hanrui 3: The Final Hanrui IC

Morale 4

Spoiler: The Fey
    Show

The missive arrives carved into a tree and ice, written out as a series of leaves arranged in letters and as water frozen into words on the ground.

Tetrarchy,

Your fickleness makes you ill suited as matter for an ally. Should you seek the exemption of your lands from de Leuteum interests, we of the Lodge are certain that there is a bargain to be made. However, before any sort of further dialogue between us can resume, end your obsfucaton and state the truth of your purpose in contacting the Lodge immediately.

The Valence Lodge
    Show

...yes?

Show

The letter arrives on some sort of tan matter with a flesh like consistency, squirming for a moment when passed from the de Leuteum messenger's hands to the representative from the Republic. Notably, the de Leuteum symbol has been branded to the letter: a flask with a hornet in it, the bands of the hornet's abdomen illustrated like DNA helixes.

Most Esteemed Logicians of the Clockwork Republic,

We of the Lodge find ourselves in full agreement. Facing an enemy of such stature would give any pause even if they didnt wield their faith like a weapon. The unique... disposition of your militay's physiology is fascinating. Worthy of preservation. How may we assist you?

Massimo de Leuteum, Sole Guildbreaker to the House
    Show

You have an offer on-hand?

Spoiler: Khalos Tradeguild
    Show

The letter arrives on some sort of green matter with a scale like consistency, squirming for a moment when passed from the de Leuteum messenger's hands to the representative from the Guild. Notably, the de Leuteum symbol has been branded to the letter: a flask with a hornet in it, the bands of the hornet's abdomen illustrated like DNA helixes.

Trade Guild,

Regrettably, our adventuring assets are currently committed to the Yellow Forest for the coming season. However, should you like to purchase additional assets from House de Letuem this season we would be more than amenable to an agreement.

The Valence Lodge
    Show

Will trade your eco for my Mil at a 2:1 ratio.

Show

The letter arrives on some sort of black and white matter with a flesh like consistency, exactly parted so that the black and white so that the coloration is completely even. It squirms for a moment when passed from the de Leuteum messenger's hands to the representative from the Legion. Notably, the de Leuteum symbol has been branded to the letter: a flask with a hornet in it, the bands of the hornet's abdomen illustrated like DNA helixes. The symbol is lodged equidistance between the black and white portions of the letter.

Esteemed Legion,

I will not mince words, as doubtless your are already informed as to the Lodge's myriad functions. Allow us to frame this contact within the paradigm of a goal: all of Hanrui is an equation. Would you like assistance in equating it?

The Valence Lodge
    Show

I have a VIP on hold for a more personal conversation if the Legion wants to field a more in depth discussion about the balance of power on this plane. Plus I mean...c'mon, "The Legion and Lodge" has a nice ring to it.

Last edited by n0ble; 2020-10-29 at 07:29 AM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

14. - Top - End - #14

EvilClericGuy

Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: To all nations recognized by the World Congress
    Show

In accordance with the divine will that the empire must form stronger bonds with foreign allies, the emperor would like to cordially extend an invitation to all nations for a diplomatic summit in our nation’s capital. We will be discussing the latest agendas from the World Congress and a full imperial festival will be prepared.

Morale 4

Spoiler: To the Far Fleet
    Show

Greetings to the First Speaker Aslund,

I would like to similarly express my admiration of your people’s resolve and seamanship. Your unity and arcane skill are much envied by our empire’s citizens.

Such a treaty would indeed to highly beneficial to all parties. Enclosed is a copy of the latest imperial decree regarding your vessels.

In finale, my thanks for the fine stele you sent previously. I have had it placed within the temple district so that our gods may also look favorably on your line. My advisors are in uproar, but it is good for them to get some exercise once in a while, no?

With respect,
    Emperor Xishun, Son of Heaven

Spoiler: Imperial Decree
    Show

In times past, it has been said colloquially, “when gold flows from the west, blood flows from the Shan people. When clouds darken the west, peace flows through the land.” As of immediately, any activity performed against the Farthest Fleet to the West is hereby explicitly outlawed. Imperial subjects are not permitted to sail more than twenty li past the Western shore and all Farthest Fleet vessels are to be payed the same respects as imperial vessels. Decree of the third month, spring, 1146.

Spoiler: To the Illuminated Council
    Show

Greetings to the Illuminated Council,

I hope that this message finds you in peace and prosperity. We would also highly appreciate stronger diplomatic ties with your peoples.

We will contribute however we can towards the New World Congress, whether the fundraising agenda passes or not. I will be supporting the expansion agenda, as there are many lands to the north and south that have fallen out of the Imperial flock within the last fifty years. My belief is that our peer to our south, the Covenant will also be supporting this agenda.

I await your thoughts on the current agendas. There are certainly some agendas being distributed behind the public purview that I would also like to discuss.

With respect,
    Emperor Xishun, Son of Heaven

Spoiler: To Clan Baem
    Show

The imperial emissary, Songsun Ce, nods and thanks the bird.

“I believe your nation’s strengths lie in sorcery and its skillful agents? The empire would certainly be very amenable to any information that the Baem dynasty could provide. Is there anything you would wish from us?”
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2020-10-29 at 10:07 AM.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The Grand Collection of the First Hill Hobbits of Taedhea and Surrounding Countryside Under the Administration of the Great Council of Elders, Colony of the Exceptional Alliance of Free Hobbits Administrated by the Parliament of Duly Elected Officials

Morale 6
    Reputation 8

Hidey ho neighbor! Great day to be alive. A portly woman says looking up from the bushes she is pruning next to her hobbit hole. She waves to the cart passing by her.

That it is Martha. Good to see you using a Banks Brand Pruner. Make sure to tell me if you have any suggestions to improve it! The man in the cart keeps up a wide smile until she is finally out of sight where it promptly drops and he turns to the other man in the cart.

How is trade progressing? Is the economy set up yet? Also any news from the other countries. Guntram Von Banks asks as he starts reading through his daily reports.

It has started, though we are still very reliant on you to maximize it. It will probably be years until we reach peak efficiency. Our pull in the Hanrui congress is going well, money seems to be buying this one but our reputation is already shining through. There is going to be a meeting of the nations soon that I will be expected to attend as well as several more private messages. Sir Edward Vandburke the 2nd says with a smile as he reads through his own papers.

Guntram gives a small nod as he goes back to reading. It was almost mid morning meal time and he wanted this done before then.

Spoiler: Khalos' Guild
    Show

We are interested in trades but if possible, it would have to be decided after World Congress. While we are talking, do you have any preference in the way the voting should go and issues you would like to see on the docket? I am quite interested in starting an early voting bloc to help shape Hanrui.

Pleasure to hear from you,
    Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Show

It is a pleasure to hear from you. I have to admit, we were surprised that you chose those territories and we hope you the best for your future. Of course we will welcome an embassy and would request we be allowed to send our own. For the upcoming Congress, is there any concerns you would like to address? I imagine you would be very much for the war footing bill to be turned down?

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Spoiler: Holy Phanos
    Show

It is good to hear from you, we hope that future relations stay well. While we are talking, is there any motions for the upcoming congress you wish to address?

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Spoiler: The Courts
    Show

It is good to hear from you and such positivity. We are honored and hope we can continue to foster this positivity with most of you for the coming years. We would be glad to name you Friend of the Colony Hobbits

The Council of Elders

Show

Would be pleased to come to your meeting. We were planning our own but your wonderful Empire will be an excellent meeting place.

Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Show

Greetings, those who seek balance. We contacting you as we are curious about your though on a reputation alliance? We may have different views on how to go about it, but I believe we both agree it is dangerous any single faction gets too much power and together we could make a powerful voting bloc to insure the balance of power stays intact.

Please consider,
    Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

The guildhall bustles with letters and news from the borders, replies from nations and new goods coming in from around the landmass.

Despite all of the work being done, Khalos was missing, off killing some monster or another that had been stalking trade caravans in the past seasons.

Spoiler: The Clockwork Republic MOR 4
    Show

There is no 'Desk' for Khalos themself, as there is not enough wood around the Nest, but alas we are happy to speak and meet you and your peoples.

The logistics of trade can be managed in the come seasons, but until then we would be happy to host an embassy. Hopefully, amicable conversation between our peoples will prove that your reputation is misleading.

We await your arrival in the nest,

Lysa, Mouth of Khalos.

Spoiler: To the Spring Court MOR 4
    Show

Though we understand you are far from devils, the term 'the devil you know' applies in this situation. Our adventuring history with the Spring Court makes the court the clearest course of action. We do not wish to offend the Autumn court but we also have no intent on imposing our trade demands on all four courts at once, that would be ignoring your independence.

We may have news of trade after of Guildmaster returns from their hunt.

Respectfully, Grand Warlock Hadful

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

May have trade offers depending on what I find in the dungeon.

Spoiler: To Valence Lodge MOR 4
    Show

Good Morning, Evening or Afternoon depending on when this letter finds you.

We appreciate a shrewd businessperson at the Guild, but we cannot accept your stated terms. The price at the moment is too high and the demand of our peoples is too low to justify the cost. Alas, circumstances may change once our guildmaster comes back from their hunt.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

I cannot justify a 2:1 on turn 1. Will let you know if anything spicy comes from the dungeons.

Spoiler: MIDTURN MOR 4
    Show

5 ADV will be clearing the Lake of Blood floors 1-5

Khalos will be clearing the Lake of Blood floors 6-10

World Congress:

The Guild has 8 votes

The Guild commits 4 votes to approve the Economic bidding motion.

The Guild Commits 4 votes to deny mercenary companies.

Last edited by Writtensanity; 2020-10-30 at 04:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

ᛖᛚᛞᚨ ᚺᚨᚠᚾᚨᚱ
    Elda Háfnar, aka 'The Farthest Fleet'

Morale 4

Spoiler: To Phanos
    Show
    The reply comes in the form of a strange bird with three heads who caws unnaturally about events past, those happening across Hanrui, and those to come. It presents all three of its necks for ritual sacrifice: a gift of privilege.

We thank you for your welcome, renowned giants. The Elda have heard of your might and history, and are pleased to receive a welcome to these shores.

Although we worship at different altars, our people share the practice of faith. As Yurian shines down upon you, so too do our ships take comfort in the gathering night of Glimnir, our Beautiful Void. It nurtures us and protects And as light cannot exist without darkness, so too do we see the need for your empire to exist and prosper.

In the future, perhaps we may reach out to you in order to make such a dream a reality.

ᚺᛁᛚᛞᛖ ᚨᛋᛚᚢᚾᛞᛋᛞᛟᛏᛏᛁᚱ
    Hilde Aslundsdöttir, Hala's Chosen

Spoiler: To Clan Baem
    Show
    The flotilla of longships, brigs, and other vessels that lurk in the weird waters of Hanrui’s outer oceans do not approach the lantern-clad vessel, yet anyone on board feels a vague chill, a creeping horror that will not cease and lingers deep in the bones despite a rational understanding of one’s safety.

After a few minutes, the feeling passes, and yet the memory persists somewhere beneath the skin. The crates are not drunk by men, but rather dragged far beneath the waves by a rapacious shadow.

Spoiler: To the Celestial Empire of Longshan
    Show
    To the Son of Heaven,

Your declaration has been read from the steps of Skepnhaus, and met with approval by the Fleet’s captains. Word has gone out to our crews already to leave all of the shores of the mainland to you, even as we expand into Myrkur and prepare to set sail for farther isles.

It is always a good thing to be mindful of tradition, yet not entirely beholden to it. The men and women of Utar know well the strength that comes with overthrowing what was believed to be ‘common’ sense.

ᚴᚨᚾᚾᛁᚱ ᚨᛗᛚᚢᚾᛞ,

Spoiler: Midturn (GM)
    Show
    The Belly of the Beast:
    Excavations of Leviathan’s Landing have revealed passages deep into the entity that gives the island its name. The Drowned Bowels, as the Elda have taken to calling it, beckons those crews daring enough to explore it. Openings in the aesophagus into the cavernous ribway halls have opened wide enough for Skadia to sail herself through with a fully armed crew, with arterial corridors being drained and mapped out by Trobald and Aslund’s bravest sailors. The push is tremendous, as the Fleet does not stop with its delving until it reaches the lower innards of the creature, leagues below the surface of Keelsplitter Bay. There, the contents of the leviathan’s stomach sac are opened for all to share in the spoils... and dangers.

[Skadia (2 ADV), 4 MIL, and 6 ADV to clear 10 floors of the Drowned Bowels, rerolling the 9th and 10th floors of loot]

Also, I am going to use all 3 of my votes to say YAY to the war footing bill.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-11-09 at 07:38 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy Phanos:

Moral 8

Show
    A golden light descends from the heavens, scorching the earth with a warning.

We have divined your words with our neighbors and fear the worst of intentions. If anything happens to the First Speaker, both the godless and yourselves will face divine judgement.

However, we do not wish to simply give out warnings that would only enrage, but also offer something in return as well. If the godless come to you with an offer, let us hear it and see what we can do to persuade you down a more righteous path besides threats of conflict.

Bless you in peace.

-The Illuminated Council
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-10-29 at 02:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Clockwork Republic

Morale 5

Show

Don’t worry, it’s basic specialization of labor – some of the others handle the high-minded diplomacy and appeals to principle, I get to wrestle with the pigs in the mud over shiny bits of copper. No offence.

So, three possibilities here, two for land and one for cash.

Option 1. Contingent on there being a war. You commit yourselves to being wholehearted allies, or at least turn all your murderers and witches on our enemies. In compensation, you’ll receive a full half of any land the Republic’s armies occupy during hostilities, of our choosing (within reason). Presumably safely inland, at least until you’ve either worked out some sort of arrangment with the squid-worshipping savages you seem menaced by, or they all keel over form scurvy.

Option 2. Deferred payment in kind, essentially. You chart a route from your lovely island now, you use it to provide aid in developing certain contingencies in case of war, and once things have calmed down or been resolved – or we have the soldiers free, anyway – you can ferry them to whatever bit of land you want that isn’t going to get us involved in any wider war for acquiring for you.

Option 3. You don’t want to fully commit to a war, so I just write a check. Or I suppose ‘divert a few supply ships full of textiles and gunpowder’ would be more accurate. Contingent on your mapping a safe shipping route, you’ll be looped into our logistics networks, receiving a permanent subsidy in exchange for the services of your spy network for the season.

Once you’re done laughing or swearing, please figure out which ones appeal and get back to me with your counter-offers.
    PS: Maybe don’t be too specific about the offers you’re responding to, given your entire operation leaks like a sieve.

[ooc: The first two are clear enough, I think? The later is offering 1 permanent econ in exchange for your esp stat for the turn. Opening bids, not final offers, to be clear.]

Show

To the Priest-King Hiu Bright-Eyes of Phanos

My sincere apologies for any misunderstanding. Our scouts and envoys assured us that the coastal foothills and badlands to our north were inhabited by nothing but pre-state nomads, and I was unaware your empire’s current claims extent beyond the lands you governed.

As I have said, needless war is both immoral and wasteful, and we have no desire to tresspass against your claims. But I hope you can understand the idea of being wholly encircled by a single neighbour does little to calm my more militaristic colleagues sleep.

We would be happy to recognize your claims to [territory 10], but I am afraid I must insist on some considerations in return. To whit, free transit and navigation through the territory, and aid in finding navigable routes around it. [2 Adv].

Would that be an acceptable compromise? And if not, is it possible to arrive at one?

Peace and Reason,

Spoiler: Valence Lodge
    Show

To Massimo de Leuteum

Always a pleasure to find someone so reasonable to deal with someone so reasonable.

Honestly the specifics rather depend on how quickly a navigable route can be established between our centres of gravity. And whether the overgrown brutes see reason or have a fit of sun-stroke and come charging across the border. My colleagues have three possible contingencies sketched out – all solely if we are forced into war, of course.

I don’t suppose you’re able to spare any adventurous types to help chart a safe sea route this season?

And, while I’m absolutely happy to assume, to save myself the heartache – you never did answer whether I should be filing this as a mercenary contract or a formal alliance.

Spoiler: Grand Collective
    Show

To Elder Guntram Von Banks of the Grand Collective of Free Hobbits (...)

Your kind words are sincerely appreciated. Our landing site has proven to be less than ideal, truthfully. But we must act as necessity requires, and work with what is at hand. I can only hope the tyrants with whom we find ourselves sharing the region can see the logic of peace.

As for your question; yes, on balance we’d much prefer not to subsidize mass warfare across the continent. Even aside from our own parochial concerns, the whole idea seems vaguely obscene.
    As for positive measures, we’re quite predictably in favour of anything that eases pathfinding and navigation. Though our actual votes are already provisionally committed to the Aurora College’s proposal, should it be put forward. The specifics escape me, but some sort of initiative to further knowledge and development among the leading circles of each state, if I recall.

What interests will the Grand Collective be advancing in the coming session, if I may ask?

Peace and Reason,

Spoiler: Celestial Empire
    Show

To the Court of the Zanshen Emperor

I have been granted the honour of representing my government at your summit, and look forward to seeing your cities first-hand.

Peace and Reason,
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

PaladinGuy

The Red Aurora College

Morale 4

Players

The Farthest Fleet
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hilde of the Elda,

Your proposed agreement suits the College well, thank you for reaching out in peace rather than war. I shall remember that. Though of course we will need to ply the waters for trade, both here in Hanrui and beyond. Are there any seas our ships should know to avoid so as not to disturb your fleets?

Regarding the trade of magical knowledge and artefacts we would of course be interested, though our access to adventure sites has been a recent development, and thus our stock of magical artefacts is currently non-existent. Still if you find something you think would be of interest to the College I shall keep the Farthest Fleet in mind while stockpiling magical discoveries of our own.

I look forward to speaking further,
    77 - The Phoenix Voice

The Clockwork Republic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Esteemed Cahit,

That form of address will serve well enough, I apologize that it does not translate well to this tongue, but is a title of great importance to me.

Our voice bears relatively little bearing on the World Congress either, but I hope to gather a few other voices in addition to ours. It is hardly a plan that any faction would really object to after all. I look forward to speaking together further.

Best Regards,
    77 - The Phoenix Voice

Holy Phanos
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Nephilim is ushered to a Dueling hall where their size is better accommodated than the cramped classrooms and lecture halls. Greeting him there is a heavily built woman in fancy formal clothes kept clean and shimmering with a simple charm.

“The blessings of Yurian are of course appreciated. I am called 77 - The Phoenix Voice, I will speak for the Red Aurora College in matters of diplomacy. I see no reason to refuse an embassy with the Yurian’s disciples. Are there any discussions you wish to open between our factions?”

While the hall has been cleared of students and staff bar a pair of stone-faced guards, the conversation still feels observed.

To the Fae of the Four Courts - Winter Court of Nascent Wonders
    Spoiler
    Show
    To the Duke of Frigid Serenity,
    Trust is earned, not given, Winter Duke. I know this. But do not dismiss my institution so quickly, between us there is less distance in reputation than you may have heard.

This proposal is important to my College, and I wish to use it as a starting point to prove ourselves to Hanrui and the world. Support us and you will have your token. Support us well and I can promise you we shall play a fascinating role in the coming play.

77 - The Phoenix Voice

MidTurn (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    3 adventurers, 2 espionage, and Zander (ADV1 VIP) will crash their way through 5 floors of the Infested Mine, rerolling on floor 5. Hopefully that is how you are supposed to write midturn. If not let me know. Also if this is where we are supposed to be putting up money for the World Congress Proposals I’ll be tossing in [2 eco] to make a proposal. And Vote in favour of Fundraising. (I believe I have 5 votes?)

Advanced Education Programs - Bonus XP for all VIPs.

Empire of Longshan World Congress Pre-Meeting
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feliana song arrives dressed in the crimson formal robes of a Third Circle Student. Though comically young in comparison to nearly everyone else in the room, she maintains exquisite poise and courtesy in every interaction.

“The Red Aurora College would like to propose Advanced Education Programs at the coming world congress, with the aim of improving the talents of already talented individuals throughout Hanrui. Our future surely lies with the bright minds who guide the nations and factions of Hanrui, regardless of what flag they serve.”
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2020-10-29 at 08:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy Phanos:

Moral 8

Show
    A written letter delivered by the same large woman from before.

To Elder Guntram Von Banks

The people of Phanos know you to be a peaceful collective, and wish to offer our aid in refuting the war-wares wishing to aid in the conquest of Hanuri; however we also cannot say we shall at this time. For the matter of bribery brining more influence among the council troubles us more, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Yurian bless you in peace

-The Illuminated Council

Spoiler: The Clockwork Republic MORAL 0
    Show

Hiu was sitting in his tower's office rubbing his head after the ground shaking laughter that had erupted from the council when they heard the title the easterners had given him... and the second time when he asked to give the reply. Oh Yurian, he wished it was worth the effort...

To our ingenious mechanical neighbors

After some deliberation among the Illuminated Council it has been decided that we shall be able to aid you in making that sea route as requested next season; however, the people of Phanos will require a public acknowledgement of our border and a non-aggression pact to be made between us that will last two years. We wish to aid those that don't hold ill-will towards Phanos.

Perhaps more constructive measures for mutual benefit could be had in the future, if enough potential is seen.

If you feel that such a commitment is too much to bear, then fear not for Phanos is willing to still let you travel through our lands north of your current borders to reach the green lands beyond. We still sympathize with your geographical situation.

May Yurian bless you in peace.

-Hiu Brighteyes

A small piece of paper seemed to be attached to the letter.

The Ba'als found the idea of me as a king quite humorous, the stone chamber had to be repaired after the laughter. I am at most a priest that serves an advisory role to the council, and was only given permission to write on their behalf for a few factions. I'd never have a moment of time to study if I was...

Show
    I'm basically asking for a non-aggression pact with the vague idea of some economical aid later on (a road or ship-lane, or whatever else I can benefit from as well).

Spoiler: The Red Aurora College
    Show
    The nephilim nodded.

"Yes lady Phoenix there is something the council would wish to discuss. On matters of the World Congress, what are your thoughts on the current purposes? Phanos favored neither of them when I left."

Spoiler: Internal - Midturn
    Show
    2 Adv will go explore the Prism Cave and will leave if they either complete two floors or one of them is killed.

Voting to say no to warfooting. (3 Rep 8 Mor)
    Last edited by AlexanderML; 2020-10-31 at 10:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Another knock found its way onto Grandmaster Isla's door, and she grunted. Raising her head, the figure brought a rare smile to her face. Kin that embodied multiple traits weren't so common, most in the Covenant did still tend to stay within their species, but as time passed blood intermingled more and more and led to rare indivduals, such as griffin-kin like the one that stood before her. Dressed in light armor and a sturdy, worn breastplate, the woman standing in front of her was one such figure. Clawed, lion-like feet were covered from the ankle up by pants and greaves, the woman's hands covered in the scaly skin akin to an eagle's legs, and finally a pair of tawny wings that were currently tucked tightly behind her, between her shoulder blades.

"Taleah! What brings such a ray of sunshine to my office at this time?" Taleah Camallo was the daughter of a dear friend, now passed, and a welcome sight. Virtually famous now across the whole of the Covenant, and even now was already on the cusp of exceeding her father's adventures. If she was anything like her old man, she wouldn't be satisfied with just that.

"Grandmaster, I just wanted to let you know, and the other grandmasters that a few of the more pioneering types are getting ready to move. There's plenty in this new place to explore and we think it's high time to do it. A few are going to scope out those towers, but I'll be joining the expedition to Corundynir's Lair. I think we're all excited to see what he has left there for us." The nereid nodded in response. "Just wanted to let you know, and we'll bring reports back as soon as we can!"

The old grandmaster sat back in the chair and leaned back. "If I were a century younger I'd think of joining you. Until then I'll leave it to the professionals and wait until its safe to visit. More likely I'll be made to go as a matter of state. Well, on with you, don't listen to this old ladies grumbling! Circle of Elements wants to leave the wording of the diplomatic responses to me, eh? I should write it in the bluntest manner possible that'll teach them to offload their work to me!" With a smile, Taleah exited and closed the door behind her as she left, leaving the grumbling nereid and her ever-growing stack of papers behind her.

Morale 8
    Spoiler: To the Celestial Empire
    Show
    To the Celestial Empire of Longshan,

As wanderers of the world we are no strangers to persecution. That your harbors are now open to trade, irregardless of its origin, is welcome news. However, we in the Crystalheart Covenant understand that what is freely given, can be taken away, or often comes with strings attached. We welcome your trade, but we will do so with due caution, being unfamiliar with your people and your intentions.

Corundynir's will be done,
    The Circle of Elements

Spoiler: To the Farthest Fleet
    Show
    Captain Eitri,

Our people have voyaged long to seek our hallowed ground. While there are those among our number who have an affinity for the seas, as Grandmaster of the Sapphire Tear, I can certainly say that we have no interest in what lies beneath. Outside of our immediate territorial coasts, we do not seek to extend our reach across the seas unless driven by desperation or in pursuit of something greater than can be foreseen.

We shall take your offer of non-aggression, and the gifts you have given us with due caution. Many times before has the Covenant taken a hand offering peace and solace, when more nefarious objectives in mind. We will remain cautious and do not blame you for remaining the same. When the time comes for any potential trade, we shall remain vigilant, as is our way.

Speaker on behalf of the Circle of Elements,
    Grandmaster Isla Moray

Spoiler: To Phanos
    Show
    To the esteemed Illuminated Council,

We accept your offer of communication, we will listen to what words you have to speak. We are amenable to trade and communication both, but will remain vigilant. We are strangers in a strange land. Words may be all that we can provide in response to your own at this time.

The Circle of Elements

Spoiler: To the Four Courts
    Show
    To the Four Courts,

Our emissaries are hard at within our own borders. We have no desire to win anything but the security of our new home. If you wish to open diplomatic channels, you must come to us. We will stand vigilant until then.

The Circle of Elements

Spoiler: Midturn (GM)
    Show
    Taleah Camallo (Adv 2) will going with 3 adventurers to clear the first five floors of Corundynir's Lair. Taleah will loot floors 1 and 5.
    2 adventurer's will clear the first two floors of the Blackweald Towers.
    Last edited by DragonOfAsh; 2020-10-29 at 08:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Clan Baem

Morale 2

Show
    a few more minutes of silenced passed by after, the incident the waves breaking against the junk and hushed whispers breaking the stale silence left afterwards.

The booming voice spoke again, it didn't sound shaken by any measure, but it did not sound confident,not one bit "Should I take that as a no?" the question lingered for a few minutes more before the junk left as fast as it came...

-"I'm not going back there"

The familiar smell of sea breeze that could hardly be shaken in an archipielago pervated the air as much as it could, as the light junk junk comandeered long ago by Dae rocked back and forth against its anchor.

-"What do you mean, not going back there?" did they attack? that wasn't it, the girl would have been calling for their blood the second she arrived...

-"I mean what I said, I shouldn't have gone playing diplomat in the first place and I certainly won't do so again" the phrase itself seemed apologetic if not for the tone and expression that lacked only bared fangs.

-"Playing... you were ordered to do so for a reason, the all-chief chose you for the job"

-"they were wrong" bared fangs were no longer missing from one of the faces.

-"you had a rough day, rest up and try them tomorrow"

-"screw that" a knife hit the desk with enough force to spill both drinks, a nearby attendant looked agitated, but didn't reach for any weapons on the grounds of self preservation.

-"say that again" Dae and Chin-Hae kept the stare down going for a few seconds, before She broke it with a word.

-"get off my ship" Chin-Hae brought the knife up from the table and threatened her throat in one swing.

-"you insubordinate..."

-"go ahead, shut down your gold mine" she displayed the first smile of the conversation. Soon enough the knife was stabbed back into the table, Chin Hae left mumbling about petulant brats and the ways to deal with them, Dae for her part sat down and resumed her conscious thinking about what lay beyond, the unconscious acknowledgement never stopping since that visit.

Show
    The birds nods in acknowledgement of an apt description of their talents

"For now we'll appreciate mediation with the Elda Háfnar to the west, as they appear to give due respect to the mandate of heaven, and in return we can share some of the information we have acquired, though most is from outside your island, as no pretenders dare contest the emperor's claims."

Show
    The trick is repeated in kind, but the light doesn't scorch at all.

simply drawing shapes in the shades as if a window from nowhere had them.

A hint of paranoia is natural and to be expected, we are but our word for now, let it be backed by actions once the relationship between our people grows.

For now the godless and us seem to be heading towards nothing but cooperation and trade as we do hope our people are as well.

-Unity and stability, Clan Baem

Show
    Spoiler: OOC: lame joke inside, ignore
    Show
    None taken, We are not a copper after all

"If you don't take any we won't either, it is you who has to deal with this job while your uptight peers handle them "high-minds" after all.

After some deliberation and yes, some laughing and cursing, We are in agreement that you would also be threatened by them if your coast was anything more than a glorified background for your flying ships to float over.

1 is too much for now, but lets keep it on the table if we still like eachother later.

We'll take a mix between 2 and 3, 2 remains the same but first we'd need some specifics on that oh so vague definition of what we'll develop. 3 is just as well for your contribution, but we'd rather send 3 less after the first route is traced, with an expert overseeing the second route to make up for the loss in raw numbers."

-Better jobs in your future (Clan Baem)
    Last edited by neriractor; 2020-10-30 at 12:30 PM.
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

The Silverhammer Protectorate

It had been bad news. The preacher had been right.

His heart pounding in his chest, Ranulf hid behind a boulder, pressing against the cold stone as much as he could.

He had gone further than usual when chopping wood, a few days back. These were new lands, and... weren't they explorers as much as settlers?
    He was exalted when he found the entrance, hewn into the stone, mostly overgrown by now. A broad portal, strange symbols, a giant statue of a vulture-headed person in armour standing guard.

He had told the others right alway, but they hadn't shared his enthusiasm. Ranulf had still visited the site as often as he could.

Today, something happened. He had watched in amazement as the gigantic portal opened, as if by magic, and stared down the darkness, listening to the almost palpable silence.

And then...

Rows and rows of dwarves in full plate armour of gleaming silver, carrying halberds of a length they should not be able to wield by any right. Above them, red banners bearing silver hammers flew in the wind.

They marched as one, not in a merely disciplined step, but in almost supernaturally uniform movements... almost?

These were not usual dwarves he knew from back home. They were... changed. Carefully, the young man looked around the edge of his boulder.

Their faces... they were pale. Pallid. Dead. He felt sick. Some of them were decomposing, and some barely had much more than white bone left.
    In all of the undead's eyes, a flame was burning.

Quickly, Ranulf turned away, and found himself staring down a steel-plated crossbow.

"Are... you a lumberjack?"
    A cold shower ran down Ranulf's back as he heard the undead dwarves' voice. It was unnatural, felt... cold, somehow, simply as a thing that should not speak.
    Paralysed by fear, he only managed to nod hastily.
    "Get back to work. Firewood. Put it here. We need much of it."

In the Lord Protector's halls, Halgeir stood, holding his hand over the flames. It did not hurt. He felt it like an object, but the sensation of warmth, of pain, it was more like a presentiment, like trying to recall a long-lost memory, seeing the barest schemes... and failing.

The battle-hardened dwarf pondered. Had Our Saviour forsaken them in the end?

"Our Saviour has granted us a great boon." a hoarse voice stated solemnly. The Lord Protector knew it was the Archon before he turned to face the red-robed Oracai.
    "He has given us the honour to endure, and prove ourselves before his Flame instead of simply wasting away. Our Burning Saviour does not give a boon like this freely, for He is a wise teacher, and He knows better than to let his people grow complacent."
    The Oracai lowered his beak wistfully.
    "We will feel the Holy Fire again, in time. Once we have proven ourselves and done His Will."

Lord Protector Silverhammer remained silent. He picked up his heavily engraved plate Gauntlet and put it back on.

"So be it. To Our Saviour's Glory."

The Archon seemed to be satisfied, and motioned with his skeletal claw towards the heavy stone table, where those who would claim these lands this time had already sent some missives.

The land of false prophecy had found its newest victims. It was bound to he engulfed in war again.

Spoiler: To the Farthest Fleet (Mor 4)
    Show

To Kannir Aslund, Captain of the Drowned Moot and First Speaker of the Void,

your great courtesy is noted and appreciated.
    We, too, have heard of your exploits and strength.

Know that Our God is Our Burning Saviour.

Know that the Interests of the Silverhammer Protectorate lie in the depths of the land, not in the depths of the sea. Thus, if you respect our immediate sphere of interest, we will respect yours.

We will reach out to you in regards of trade. I believe trade between the Elda Háfnar and the Silverhammer Protectorate will be most profitable.

We appreciate your gracious gift. It will hold a place of honour in our halls.

We do not know what you seek here, but we wish you fortune, and the blessing of the sightless skies of Glimnir. We hope we might be of each others assistance more in the future.

Glory to the Flame,
    Lord Protector Silverhammer

Spoiler: To the Celestial Empire of Longshan (Mor 4)
    Show

To the Keeper of foreign affairs of the Celestial Empire of Longshan,

In the name of the Silverhammer Protectorate and the Cult of Our Burning Saviour, I accept your invitation. May it be a summit worth visiting.

Glory to the Flame,
    Archon Avendor of House Eith'erant

Spoiler: Internal - Midturn
    Show

Ranger Captain Balt Ashenblade(Tier 1 Adv VIP) and 3 Adv head into the Caverns of Shame

Voting Yay on the war proposal with their 12 votes (this doesn't consume resources, right? If it does, I'll abstain.)

Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-10-31 at 12:14 PM.
    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Show

Member of the Kyrsull Entente
    Free City of Khasal - Ironfang Republic - Theocracy of Shemesh -The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Glory to the Flame!

Awesome Templar Avatar by smutmulch - thanks a lot!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Clockwork Republic

Morale 5

Spoiler: Clan Beam
    Show

Lets get down to the real brass tacks, shall we?

So, in terms of charting the first route, we’re willing to contribute the better part ourselves, and take take your contribution out of the owed resources – though only in the first instance, obviously.

Now you’ll excuse me if I don’t get too specific in writing – you’re perfectly aware how many virtueless brutes might be willing to sell some stolen letters for a hot meal, I’m sure. But to it’s work for your witches or your thugs, preparing some little surprises to disincentiveize any invasion of our beachhead.
    Expertise and leadership is an acceptable sweetener, combined with the promise you’ll be willing to continue the deal in later seasons.

[OOC: Willing to pay up to 2 adv towards charting the route between your islands and me, and/or take the cost out of your payment in the first instance. Your choice.

Option 2 is essentially me taking a loan of magic or soldiers against the use of 5 of my mil to take a territory of your choice in 1-3 turns, (next turn if war doesn’t break out, later if it does, for hopefully obvious reasons). The exact mixture is up to you, as both stats are equally useful for what I have in mind.

Option 3 I believe we’re in agreement in, if I’m parsing you right? You’ll provide the use of your esp stat, less however many points of adv you spend charting the route between us this turn, in exchange for 1 permanent econ. You’d be willing to repeat the deal next turn, and in that case you’d also include use of a (presumably your esp) VIP?

Also,

Show

To Hiu Brighteyes, on behalf of the Illuminated Council of Phanos

Your proposal seems eminently reasonable to my eyes. To be clear - a pact of peace and friendship, lasting at minimum for the next two years, contingent on (on the Republic’s part) acceptance of your claims to the northern badlands, and (on your Council’s) the charting of a shipping route to viable trading partners or unclaimed lands within the next year.

If I understand the terms as you do, then I would be able to sign at your convenience. At the summit hosted by the Longshang, perhaps?

Peace and Reason,

Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Morale 4

Show

Esteemed Logicians of the Clockwork Republic,

Indeed, charting a route between us would yield value. We would open to discussing an equal effort, one sufficient to ensure both of us play a role that ensures the route is conducted with equity.

As is, none other have made offers towards securing our services yet-we are open to hearing what you have to say. Let us talk of alliances once courses have been charted to your lands. Until such a time a simple mercantile exchange of goods should suffice.

Massimo F. de Leuteum, sole Guildbreaker to High House de Leuteum

Show

What are you putting up for charting a route between us? I'll match it.
    Lets keep this strictly mercenary for now. Ya wana buy something?

“Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Legion of Balance
    Mor 6

Spoiler: Khalos Guild
    Show
    Our Legion has changed much since the last days of Hanrui, we look forward to working with the Nations of Hanrui this time around. While we welcome your offer of trade we regrettably will not be able to do so this season. We are just being established and have need of all aspects of our resources.

Regards,
    Lady Greydane

Spoiler: The Fae
    Show
    We are honored to be captured in the memories of they Fey and to be held in such esteem. We purveyors of Balance, arbiters of peace and war, counters of aw and chaos, we are the watchers and we see the great boon the courts do us.

We will gladly take your gift of land and resolve to stop there. The Balance cannot be held if we must be held in check ourselves. You will see no whisper of grey cloaks or ashen blades past these territories.

May the Courts Thrive in wonderful Chaos,
    Lady Greydane

Show
    The Legion will gladly take those lands but will not expand past the four territories they will have.

Show
    You are correct, Balance is important in reciprocity, which is why we do not make friends lightly. We will reserve our judgement on your nation of spies and dark magics.

Tread Lightly,
    Lady Greydane

Spoiler: Valance Lodge
    Show
    Legion and Lodge, Lodge and Legion. We are interested by your offer but wil wait to judge the manner of mortal you are. What tempts you, what drives you, your true desires.

Regards,
    Lady Greydane

Spoiler: Celestial Empire. Public
    Show
    You warmongers can use all the sweet words and ideas you want. We know your past, we know your thoughts, we know how to deal with you...

Show
    Greetings Guntram Von Banks,

We welcome your interest with open arms. The Grand Collection is known for many things throughout the world and the Legion has taken notice. Your fine lifestyle, desire for peace, smart leaders, and most importantly a reasonable ambition. We are gladdened to find your people on Hanrui.

As far as terms for a Reputation Alliance, we are open to the idea but do not enter such things lightly. We would need to know you would aid us in our mission and you would need to trust us to aid you in yours. For such a thing to grow we would need strong foundations.

You seem worth the effort though. As a gesture of goodwill we will allow you some of our links to the World Congress this season. If you aid us this season with maintaining the Balance then we can revisit the idea of a regular alliance next season.

Regards,
    Lady Greydane

Show
    The LEgion sends you one of their votes for this mid turns voting.

Spoiler: Midturn
    Show
    Legion of Balance will send 1 Adv into the Minotaur's Lair.

Khanate of the Ironhoof
    Mor 5

Show
    You may keep your snake tongued diplomats and formal embassies where they belong. At home. If you have met cousins of ours then you will know nothing stops a charging Centaur except death.

So stay out of our way. If you do that we will leave you with your shred of land and your life.

Be warned Encyclopediest, the only thing we do with Hayy... is eat it.

Spoiler: The Fae
    Show
    The Khanate sends no messenger, they instead send a bloody spiked greave their Warherds wear into battle with a message inscribed on the inside.

Watch us Ride

Spoiler: Celestial Empire. Public
    Show
    Your words are pretentious nothings, lures to those who you would subjugate. We shall meet you on the field or not at all.

Spoiler: Midturn
    Show
    Khanate uses 2 Adv to discover a passage from 13 to 8.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy Phanos:

Moral 0

Spoiler: Clockwork Republic
    Show
    To our ingenious neighbours.

I believe that you understand the council’s proposal. In the name of Phanos and it’s Illuminated Council a lumor from the Illuminators by the name of Deos son of Horus has been granted permission to sign a treaty with you on their behalf at the Longshang summit.

I pray that this is the start of further cooperation.

May Yurian bless you in peace

-Hiu Brighteyes

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Clockwork Republic

Morale 5

Spoiler: The Valence Lodge
    Show

To Massimo F. de Leuteum

We would be willing to contribute the greater part of the effort towards charting the necessary route, provided it’s counted as a credit towards our final bill.
    Now, as for actual purchases – we’re in the market for soldiers – or whatever monstrosities you’ve got cooked up that can hold a line and follow orders, anyway – spies and informants, or whatever cult term you use for your chemists and mutagenists. Preferably the spear-carriers and monsters, if they aren’t already otherwise spoken for.

As for payment – look, I’ll be honest, cash is at a premium at this point. If you want liquid wealth, we’re going to want a premium. As alternate payment, we’d be willing to let you indulge your desire for samples, and organize something of a cultural exchange program, provide some pointers on political technology and social engineering while we do. Or throw in the use of whatever ambassadors we’ve got in this place.

[OOC: 3 Adv to chart a route. Willing to put forward 2 of it, for credit towards my final bill. In the market for you mil, mag or esp. Would be willing to pay econ, at something of a mild premium (3 econ and providing the 2nd point of adventuring for 5 mil or 6 esp/mage, basically. Alternatively, willing to provide my 5 morale and 2 rep for the same. Willing to quibble with the numbers a point or so in one direction or another.]

Spoiler: Phanos (Public)
    Show

To Hiu Brighteyes,

I am sincerely glad we have been able to come to a peaceful compromise. I look forward to meeting you representative and signing the treaty.

Peace and Reason,
    Last edited by St. Justicar; 2020-10-30 at 03:04 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Clan Baem

Morale 2

Spoiler: The clockwork republic
    Show
    "Well, you are negotiating with most who can, but still, caution is good.

we'd like to take the credit for discovering the route, so save your team for sweetening whatever mud dwellers you try to steal honest coin from next, otherwise it seems agreeable, an expedition should reach your shores in no time.

-Profitable ventures, Clan baem."

Show
    I'll take the cost reduction instead.

2) sounds agreeable enough to me, 1-2 in that order if I can take my cost reduction from here, otherwise 3-2

3) ding ding ding, exactly, though I intended to add the sweetener in both turns, with the same reduction applied in each, not sure if you are okay with that as well, or if the fact that the first route will already exist by the second changes anything? you can probably reply with only an OOC post for this one, since all I really need is an answer to this question.

I see you couldn't resist reading it

Spoiler: legion of balance
    Show
    I do wonder from time to time what makes magic dark or light, nothing wrong with being a little cautious. Call if we are found up to your standards.

-Good harvest, Clan Baem.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2020-10-30 at 03:23 PM.