New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Total War Hanrui 3: The Final Hanrui IC

Celestial Empire of Longshan

The mood in the air at the former bandit fortress of Helan was rather jubilant, even if not celebratory. For the three generals dining there, rice wine had been prepared along with a large roast fish and assorted vegetables. Xiahuang Ling has ordered her family’s old guzheng out of storage from the capital for the occasion.

“And that was a song taught to me by my village’s Elder Zhou,” Li Jie said nonchalantly, after having strummed up the musical equivalent of a storm. “It’s said to be the melody of crickets chirping at midnight.”

“Crickets? Really? Lanzhong, that must have been a thousand crickets,” Xiahuang Ling grabbed another chunk of fish from the platter. “That kind of population nearby, no wonder Elder Zhou was awake at midnight.”

“Ha, after that kind of comment, you really must show your own prowess,” Li Jie smirked and walked back to the table.

The Lady Xiahuang raised her chopsticks defensively. “Woah, no offense intended. I haven’t touched one of these since I was seventeen.” She gestured at Han Lu. “Buoren, you should go.”

“No need, Lanzhong can play another,” The commander said, biting into a shrimp.

“Come on, Buoren,” Xiahuang said, “We can take turns after you, you can hear me torturing the poor instrument.”

Han Lu sighed, “fine.”

He sat behind the guzheng and placed his fingers, covered in calluses from riding onto the strings. Surprisingly, a rather dignified, ethereal tune flowed out, dynamic and graceful like the wind.

“So, Lanzhong, how are things in the Crystalheart capital?” Xiahuang Ling asked, blowing lightly at a chunk of sweet potato.

“General Zhao was mostly building morale with the troops,” Li Jie said, “Master Songsun has been trying to organize expeditions into their dragon-god’s lair all spring. He tried tunneling straight to the end, but the structure itself was made of some kind of weird stone. We had it sent to his wife to check out.”

“Imperial sorcerers still ants below the eyes of children, then? They’re surrounded by Lady Lu, Lady Pei, Dowager Shang, my aunts…”

“Yeah, apparently they’re all mad we didn’t bring them along for the campaigns this time. Like they did anything last time, all I remember them contributing was pestering me about the bad star signs.”

Han Lu abruptly finished, leaving a high note in the air. Xiahuang Ling shrugged and took his place, beginning a hearty and bucolic, if piecemeal song on the instrument.

“That’s why among my mother’s people,” Han Lu said, “We select shamans with care. We don’t just pick up any religious nut who wanders out of the mountains after seven years without a bath.”

“I wouldn’t know,” Xiahuang Ling said. “All the bandit sorcerers I met hated me so I just killed or exiled them when I took over. The way I see it, the current type of sorcerer is the problem.”

“Well then,” Li Jie said, “It might be time to think about upgrading.”

Morale 8

Spoiler: Khalos
    Show

Greetings to the great Guild of Khalos,

It will please you to know that no extermination efforts regarding the sorcery contained within have been undertaken by local administrators. The demons dwelling inside the city simply do not threaten the local countryside, so there has really been no motive to retake the former capital. The vast majority of bandit artifacts remain intact.

With respect,
    Emperor Xishun, Son of Heaven, Lord of Longshan, Defender of the Dragon Mountains

Spoiler: Silverhammer
    Show

Greetings to the noble Lord Protector Silverhammer,

Your honor and judge of character is much appreciated in turn. My people would indeed be very amicable to mutual trade, though I fear governmental resources may be limited this season because of the war. We do appreciate your purposeful ignorance of the Covenant’s crocodile tears, and I do look forward to sharing some of their treasures with your people at war’s end.

With respect,
    Emperor Xishun, Son of Heaven, Lord of Longshan, Defender of the Dragon Mountains

Spoiler: Elda Hafnar
    Show

Greetings once again to the First Captain and Speaker Aslund,

We have been strengthening bonds with the Khalosian and Baem states to our east. For now, we will be allying ourselves with Idol’s End in destroying the Covenant, since they have refused surrender. There may yet be a falling out, but I do not see it coming soon.

The Lord Protector and the Phoenix Voice continue to hold our respect.

With respect,

Spoiler: Covenant, MOR 0
    Show

The scholars at the Palace District Museum send their thanks.

You should find the items they don’t choose to take on the black market within a year. Do savor the irony of your religious treasures funding the campaign against you.
    Last edited by Vrock Bait; 2020-11-22 at 11:28 AM.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

2. - Top - End - #122

PaladinGuy

The Red Aurora College

Morale 7

Players

The Silverhammer Protectorate, Elda Hafnar
    Spoiler
    Show
    This seems a sensible alliance to make, our interest conflicts little with regards to territorial expansion. And we are each very capable in our own fields of specialization. Do either of your nations have a goal for this alliance beyond simple mutual defense? Working together on a shared goal could grant us great advantage if we can find one.

I for one look to the Ironhoof Khanate. They pose a dire threat to the Clockwork Republic, with whom I am working together with to forge a defensive pact. And while I doubt they would attack the First Hill Collection for fear of international retaliation, they may have gathered enough military power from their conquests of the southern coast to render these fears moot. I am unsure what exactly is the best course of action to confront this threat, but I would like to put it forward as a potential project for our alliance. Their lands are no less rich than any others, and a swift and decisive blow could prevent their long term threat while also enriching all of our factions.

Perhaps we should meet in person to speak further?

Best Regards
    77 - The Phoenix Voice
    OOC: I’m open to naming options, I like league as well, though ‘Western League’ might be a tad generic.

The Clockwork Republic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Academic Cahit,
    A fair and even treaty. I will sign it. How have negotiations with the Khanate faired? I would prefer to know ahead of time if our alliance will be called upon this year.

I jest of course, we would come to your aid regardless. But my question stands, as they are currently by far the biggest threat to my nation and probably yours as well.

Best Regards,
    77 - The Phoenix Voice

The Valence Lodge
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master de Leuteum,
    Perhaps our deal will wait then, as I have no projects with which to currently use extra espionage. Out of curiosity, what would your asking price be for military assistance in the coming season? Though it pains me, Hanrui is a troubled land, and swords remain in higher demand than pens.

Best Regards,
    77 - The Phoenix Voice
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2020-11-22 at 02:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Legion of Balance
    Mor 8

Spoiler: The Fae
    Show
    Greetings Lords of the Wild,

This is good to hear. However we have already stated to the Clan that they must gather the support of two nations here before we would allow them to settle there. So all that must be done is a simple withholding of support on your part and encouraging the others to do so.

Lady Greydane

Spoiler: The Covenant
    Show
    Greetings,

We do believe that the actions of the Empire endanger the balance of power in Hanrui, however slightly. Our response shall follow as such, a slight response to their actions to make a targeted point.

We care not for the single territory or capital, we must see a larger picture in terms of nations, blocs of power, and the ending of powers. We will send no aid the Covenant while we have to prepare for larger concerns.

Spoiler: Khalos Guild
    Show
    Greetings,

We thank you for your offer. We do indeed have several lairs in our lands that need more handling then we can offer. We would welcome your adventurers to aid in the slaying of those monsters.

We would ask that certain things such as ancient tomes of lore(xp), any items geared to the subtle (Esp Items), and any ancient artifacts related to similar magics (Esp or subterfuge based artifacts) be given to us on unearthing.

If none are unearthed then a simple bit of gold (1 Econ) per 3 floors cleared.

Regards,
    Lady Greydane

Spoiler: Clan Baem
    Show
    Greetings,

As we said we would only release our claims on the island if two of our neighbors messaged us that they were okay with your presence. Have them message us this season.

Lady Greydane

Khanate of the Ironhoof
    Mor 11

Spoiler: Clockwork Republic
    Show
    Greetings,

We thank you for the courtesy you show to the warherds and their might. We have little interest in the desert for the most part. We may take a single piece of it across from our plains but for the most part we now look for more worthy opponents then lonely villages and bandit Lords.

9 Layered Bank
    Mor 4

Show
    Greetings,

Do not worry! We offer special packages for immortal beings, already soulless mortals, and soulless abominations. We accept time served in the future, souls in your possession you can trade, or dark and eldritch powers.

We understand that filthy lucre is quite the draw to those of the mortal plane and so have a great stock we are willing to deal for. Let us know if you are interested!

Regards,
    Glimmer

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    No soul, no problem. They are open go trades beyond just an exchange. Payment plans and multiple turn trades are all options.

Show
    Greetings Mighty Devourer,

We at the Nine Layered Bank are honored to make the acquaintance of one of the ancients of this world. Do not worry! We offer special packages for immortal beings, already soulless mortals, and soulless abominations. We accept time served in the future, souls in your possession you can trade, or dark and eldritch powers.

So trading us one your slaves valuable followers would be a very desirable deal. However we take other things in return, repayment in dark powers or more filthy lucre to lure mortals to their demise give even better loans in the future! For your valuable follower we would offer several chests of gold and gems!

Regards,
    Glimmer

Show
    No soul, no problem. They are open go trades beyond just an exchange. Payment plans and multiple turn trades are all options.
    They would be very interested in your VIP offer though, offering either 8 Econ straight up or 10 Econ payed over 4 turns.

Show
    Greetings,

Do not worry! We offer special packages for immortal beings, already soulless mortals, and soulless abominations. Also those who are too attached to their puny souls to trade them. We accept time served in the future, souls in your possession you can trade, more filthy lucre, or dark and eldritch powers.

We understand that filthy lucre is quite the draw to those of the mortal plane and so have a great stock we are willing to deal for. Let us know if you are interested!

Regards,
    Glimmer

Show
    No soul, no problem. They are open go trades beyond just an exchange. Payment plans and multiple turn trades are all options. Econ is their main thing to trade but everything is for sale at the 9 layered bank.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Clan Baem"

Morale 3:

PCs:

Spoiler: Everyone (moral 0 of course)
    Show
    Clan Baem will bid all their votes (currently numering 5, but set to increase) in the world congress, for an ammount of time extending to either: The winning bidder's inhability to work as a proper colony, guild, etc or the disbanding of the world congress itself. This for but a one time payment in raw materials, work force or other assets, that will start the bid at the pathetic price of [3 econ], Irregular payment offers will be heard.

Show
    note that this means for every turn this applies it'll be one less out of the 7 trades for votes you are supposed to get for a win condition.

Spoiler: Celestial Empire of Longshan
    Show
    To the glorious Emperor Xisun, lord of the heavens,

Thank your for being so considerate about our plight, if we can't come to an agreement with words, you are allowed to send as many men as you find strategically feasible, as long as they are under nominal Clan Baem command* (your officers will still run it, being seasoned veterans, but you understand how important the difference is for the common man). Hopefully we can end this conflict without much more blood spilled.

-Favour with the dice, Clan Baem.

Spoiler: * OOC
    Show
    So more like borrowing the mil.

Spoiler: The Valence Lodge
    Show
    Greetings Lady Moira de Leuteum,

A pleasure doing business with you last season, we hope Dania is adapting properly to work within the lodge and hasn't caused too much trouble.

We have many things to talk about so lets begin with the deal: do you know what elements you'll be able to spare for us yet? we have a preference for "workers" over diplomats, but we agreed to a split on your terms. Also, as we mentioned before, our similarities just keep appearing as our plans seem to align, I don't suppose we can work out who will shelter the jade wizard and their kin, without levelling the land with a display of magic to impress them, as if common beasts looking to mate?

-Pleasing thoughts, Clan Baem.

PS: if you could remind the Legion of Balance that you would rather have us on the continent that away from it that'll be great, they seem to have forgotten.

Show
    to Hjordis ys Orvar, Captain of Khombriss Depths,

If you do something do it well? we can see eye to eye/to eyes on that, the deal is acceptable as is, though given the ammount of attention demanded of our Clan this season, we may not be able to spare enough pathfinders to meet your demand.

-May the waves treat you kindly, Clan Baem.

Show
    Deal sounds good, but there is the possible war (which may end up the reason for this deal), a bunch of other deals in the making and the midturn, so I'll have to put a pin on the answer for now and get back to you when I'm a bit more sure about my game plan.

Spoiler: Clockwork republic
    Show
    Yes yes don't worry, of course it'll happen, though depending on our interests this turn we may need to work out an interest plan for it.

oh yes, we have heard of some of your protection efforts, excellent work by the way, hopefully some of it was inspired by our own "workers" that you borrowed way back.

Is not your troops we need right now, instead we figured since the "titans of industry" have so much money to throw around you may like to throw some our way, Specially if wanting enough for soldiers to take what youcan charitably call irregular line troops, more likely that our deal is for the usual professional liars either of the honest kind or diplomats.

-Good pickings until you find another neighbour, Clan Baem.

Show
    Still too early in the turn to decide on a specific deal, but most likely will be able to spare enough Esp for something, Rep also on the market if you want some.

Spoiler: The crystalheart Covenant
    Show
    Circle of elements,

three? we dear you to find two of the previous season's messages dealing with the territorial matter as a claimant, instead of glossing over it while implying agreement as the last one did.

Ugly then, that both of us who were exiled before to find a new path here ended up coming to blows and may not cease to do so.

We can't simply settle on the honouring of past deals, forgiveness can work in paper for small numbers who all agree, but not for those who need their strength recognized amongst peers, and even less now that so much of the Clan just wants blood for blood, including those who joined the all-chief by your swords; the rest is trying to see if the glimmer of gold can calm them down.

- The will to keep going, as we have done for long, Clan Baem.

Show
    I'm gonna need a little more as far as stats go, specially if I'm getting them one turn late, willing to hear offers.

Spoiler: The Fae Courts
    Show
    Our commitment to aiding the lords of the seasons in the case of an attack from the south remains strong, could you please reming the legion of your support for our claim on [35] which such actions would benefit from?

Show
    Most esteemed Khalos, master of the guild, who looms over those who loom,

When I arrived such a proposition would be unthinkable, but as our adventurers have been more and more needed for pathfinding and such work seems to scarcely be letting up as the seasons go I'm willing to hear your counter offer to the options we adapted from a similar deal some other power made:

1) [1 econ] for every 2 depths you reach rounded down with no extra fees (so 11 is the same as 12) and you get to keep everything you find.
    2) [1 econ] for every 3 depths rounded down, artifacts are to be offered at a reduced fee of [use of 4 stats, which to be negotiated at the time of sale] to me, but the clan can fail to provide the funds, in which case you keep it.
    3) [1 econ] for every 4 depths rounded down, artifacts, lone hermits and books (I.E: anything giving Exp) are to be delivered to the clan. (Due to the importance of Familiar falls this is the only option we can offer for it)

In all of them we'd be shouldering the creation of a trade route half and half, unless you ask the Valence lodge to let you through our personal trade route. Our sites of interest would be familiar falls (6/20 cleared) and Syren's hideout (0/20).

PS: remember this is an initial offer, I'm not a stateman and have more money to spend on the usual that I know what to do with, so do tell me if I'm robbing myself, and if I'm only robbing you please refrain from cursing my absent parents in your reply.

PS 2: For smooth dealing, could you please tell the legion of balance how lovely it'll be to have Clan Baem on island [35]?

PS 3: I used to run a little soul trade back home, may offer you a better deal that the bank if you want to throw it on the table.

-Big fan of your work, Captain Dae Baem.

NPCs:

Spoiler: Legion of Balance
    Show
    on it, again.

-Extreme sensations, Clan Baem.

Spoiler: The Jade wizard
    Show
    to the Jade wizard and its following,

From group of mages to another, we sincerely hope the world congress allows you to seek learning within Hanrui and that you have an easy voyage if so.

-a Sharp mind and nimble fingers, Clan Baem.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2020-11-22 at 04:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

5. - Top - End - #125

PaladinGuy

The Red Aurora College
    Morale 7

Clan Baem
    Spoiler
    Show
    A generous offer to be sure, allow us to put in our transmuted gold [3 eco paid at end turn] in exchange for your word in world congress.

77 - The Phoenix Voice

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

ᛖᛚᛞᚨ ᚺᚨᚠᚾᚨᚱ
    Elda Háfnar, aka 'The Farthest Fleet'

Morale 10

Spoiler: To the Silverhammer Protectorate and Red Aurora College
    Show
    Voice of the Phoenix and Lord Protector Halgeir Silverhammer,

Very well. At the next summit, we should announce our alliance of western powers committed to defending our lands and seas from outer incursions. My daughter Hilde has expressed a will to do this, though I think such words might be better absorbed coming from either of your camps.

The goals of the Fleet are conquest and wealth, pure and simple. The Ironhoof pose a challenging threat, but are not insurmountable on their own. We will see whether the winds blow our ships into their inlets. When the time is right, the Elda will be taking some of the southern shores - it is my hope that when that day comes, you will be by our side with spell and steel.

Might there be an inroads here to weakening them before any raiding party touches their shores? Or perhaps even stealing away some of their hordes via magic?

ᚴᚨᚾᚾᛁᚱ ᚨᛗᛚᚢᚾᛞ,
    Kannir Aslund, First Captain of the Drowned Moot and Speaker for the Void

Show
    I like 'The August League of the West' but my people will call it 'Vestur Halda', which translates roughly to 'Westhold' in Icelandic. Feel free to use that name if you prefer; I think both sound pretty cool.

Trade-wise, I'm open to building a channel between [28] and [30] during this Midturn. I'm happy to get 2 MAG for 2 REP.

And although their MOR is super high, I'm very okay with a big joint MAG, ESP, and ADV stat attack to steal a whole bunch of the Khanate's MIL, though it would have to be next turn on my end. I figure that between the three of us, we can muster up a fair bit of stats to sap their MIL strength dry and divvy up those sweet sweet stat points amongst ourselves? The stat theft ratio is double that of damage, so it's 4:1 after MOR with the 'efficient' attack stats.

Spoiler: To Clan Baem
    Show
    Members of the Clan of Baem,

Very well, your reluctance is noted. Our offer will not last forever, but we are willing to entertain your time. For now, the Fleet is sending envoy ships through the Reverent Span to establish a trade route to your settlement. You should our ship halfway, and we will set up markers to our new port on Skerandre.

ᚺᛃᛟᚱᛞᛁᛋ ᛃᛋ oᚱᚹᚨᚱ,
    Hjordis ys Orvar, Captain of Khombriss Depths

Show
    I'm glad that you are on board with this trade. We can work out the exact numbers before EoT - if you can't spare more than a few ADV, we can work out a different deal - but I'm willing to put forward my 1 ADV on the Midturn to make the route between [28] and [49], our closest territories (I'm doing the same with other trading partners).

Spoiler: To the Court of Autumn
    Show
    Princes of the Profane and Profligate,

Most are naught but breath on the wind, to beg of your favor. I do no such thing. Gifts and sweet words may open doors, but it is action that wins the heart.

For the second time, I bring the message: the Elda will come soon to seek a bargain struck. You will know the moment, for it will be an axe-time, a sword-time, where shields are sundered and the courage of men fails. Wind and wolf, wyrd and wail shall be heard before the mast.

Be prepared, for there will be no third missive. Only the deal remains.

ᚺᛁᛚᛞᛖ ᚨᛋᛚᚢᚾᛞᛋᛞᛟᛏᛏᛁᚱ
    Hilde Aslundsdöttir, Hala's Chosen and Devourer of the Black Sacrament
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-11-22 at 06:33 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Valence Lodge-Morale 6

Spoiler: The Clockwork Republic
    Show

Most Esteemed Logicians of the Clockwork Republic,

Our Archymist found the assistance you have provided to be most valuable in the genesis of new figures. As cooperation between our nations has yielded considerable results in the past, We of the Lodge would be most open to trading with you again. We of the Lodge are pleased to know that our experimentation has provided you with the capability for expansion.

Fundamental Forces Guard you,
    M. de Leuteum

Spoiler: The Khalos Trade Guild
    Show

Coin Counters of the Khalos Trade Guild,

No doubt your venerable leader is most familiar with the aeons of history consigned to the stratum of Hanrui upon which we tread. Undoubtedly they are away of the vast epochs underneath our feat. Indeed, surely your leader is informed of the fact We of the Lodge place a great emphasis on the exhumation of histories, assigning them their proper place within the structures and foundations which form the basis of life. To trade such knowledges for such a sum as the one you have proposed is, regrettably, difficult for the Lodge to commit to at this time. While you may find insult in this consider an example such as the one We now present to you: what price would you afford the segment of the Hanrui heart that you have discovered? To deny the Lodge an opportunity for finding such an organ for themselves is simply beyond the scope of any price either of our honoured organizations.

This is not to say that the Lodge would disapprove of such an exchange, merely that we wish to know what it is we truly possess for comitting to trading it away. Yet this presents a further problem in and of itself. All living things require territory to function, and We of the Lodge would count ourselves amongst such beings. Surely an individual as learned as the mighty Khalos has plans for problems such as overpopulation, one of the many issues that current stymies and afflicts Our Lodge. We shall progress towards the accord forged. Until such a time as the goals of previous agreement are met, please refrain from fielding such further discussions.

Show

Too low, you would have to make up the potential value of a dungeon for me to agree, considering that there could be at least 20 floors of resources available on any dungeons discovered. I can see some solutions in terms of trade.
    1) Once I actualy acquire the territory I'm interested in possibly selling off some floors.
    2) Any sort of magical items already found by the Guild (the VIP increasing kind or artifact fragments that is) might be worth a dungeon to me pending what they are.
    3) Presumably the Guild took advantage of the World Congress ratification last turn and created 3 more VIPs. Pending what stat they pertain to I maybe up for trading territory for 1 or 2 of them.
    4) Pass the Jade Wizard World Congress bill and aid de Leuteum in securing the wizard's services.

Spoiler: Red Aurora College
    Show

Academics of the Aurora College,

A shame to arrive to such a conclusion, but one that we comprehend nonetheless. Regrettably, we suspect that the coming seasons will see the full might of our militaries brought to the fore of those surrounding territories already promised to de Leuteum. This is not to say that new military creations are entirely beyond the scope of Lodge creation, merely that they will be more expensive given that it will be their makers that will have need of them most.

Phoenix protect you,
    M. de Leuteum
    Show

I would trade at 2:1 (econ/mag:mil) in the coming seasons, but would only be able to trade for stuff Im not already going to use for expansions.

Show

Should amnesty come to pass for the Jade Wizard, the Lodge may yet find such a notion preferably to the hostility displayed by other nations with regards to the mage's personage. Know that for now we wait as Hanrui does.

Morale 5
    Spoiler: Nine Layer Bank
    Show

Outsiders of Wealth and Taste,

It is oft said that the orbital shells from which We of the Lodge derive our namesake are ordered in a manner not dissimilar to the Nine Layers from which you take your title. However, having witnessed your arrival upon this plane of existence, it is clear to the Lodge that the truth of our Order and reason pales when compared alongside that of your own economists and sophistication. To that end, rather than foster competition between the Lodge and Layers of Excellence, We would propose instead a joint effort of mutualism that would see us both to profit. Hanrui is rich in resources and we would come to an accord over them, rather than competition or conflict.

To that end, the Lodge has heard rumours that your banking ventures are concerned with the acquisition of souls-a most venerable trade, one our empiricist have strived ever to derive value from. The previous season has seen the Lodge swollen to term with a multitude of souls you may find value in. We of the Lodge believe some sort of fair exchange may be found in the trading of such an individual form some of the rarer ingredients and reagents found within the biomes of your plane of existence.

May others remain ensorcelled by your coinage,
    M. de Leuteum

Show

I have a VIP I'm willing to sell trade to the Bank for some sweet sweet cheddar. Several VIPs in fact.

Show

Sons and Daughters of Baem,

Your sister is acclimating to her new habitation methods & alterations. We calculate it will not be long before she belongs-that her proper niche within de Leuteum hierarchy is correctly defined. Now. To the pressing matters at hand.

As you now doubt have witnessed, we stand ready to welcome the Jade Wizard to de Leuteum manner, should the rest of the world deem them worthy of accomodations. To that end, the Lodge will be voting for just such a recognition on the Jade Wizards behalf. Clan Baem has made it known to the public at large that the value of your words is for sale. We fail to see how this will result in the World Congress accepting the Jade Wizard into the international community. As such, we see no reason as to why the Valence Lodge and Clan would be at odds over such a development, given your apparent disinterest in making such a thing come to pass.

As to the status of our agents, know that the Lodge provides as promised. Your faith in us will be well met come the end of the season.

The final matter at hand: the Legion only wishes your settlement should it come with a consensus from the entirety of Jhalalkraun. While we of the Lodge have no issue with the terms of Baem's settlement, it is apparent that the Legion will contest your settling of the area claimed should even two nations provide reasons against your settlement. As such, while we hold no hostility for Baem and the plight, it must be understood that the Lodge will vote only in concert with the other powers on this segment of the firmament.

Luck to you on this adventuring season,
    M. de Leuteum

Show

Your selling your votes no? doesnt look like the jade wizard will even come to pass for us to fight over, but if it does somehow im open to negotiations.
    As to the Espionage stats still owed, I believe 5 was the agreed upon number.
    Not about to go against the two other powers on my continent. A reccomendation to the Legion will require some sort of deal-the negation of what the Lodge owes Baem would cover this.

Last edited by n0ble; 2020-11-22 at 07:30 PM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

8. - Top - End - #128

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler: Baem, MOR 8
    Show

Greetings once again to the ancient dynasts Baem,

Several regiments have been deployed towards you, but unfortunately the only ones that could be spared were newly raised militias and an amphibious force from the former Port Adamis. I fear they will not reach you in time to coordinate, especially not with Covenant saturating the gulf. They have been instructed to invade the coast and meet you inland halfway. You could deploy a small naval force to assist their transit, of course, but I would not ask this of an ally.

There is also the matter of a... project my ministers have been working on. We would very much appreciate certain pieces of intelligence that we believe are in your hands, but this kind of documentation would be much too valuable to send by courier. I fear it would likely only be safe by guarded crossing, but this would be difficult in the midst of current circumstances.

With respect,

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

I’d love to lend you the MIL... but I don’t have a route towards you, and I kind of promised my ADV to Khalos this turn. I said I could help with 39 because I have a route to... 39, which means I technically can only fight with you and not for you. Sorry...

I actually kind of need at least one more ESP right now, so maybe you can chart a route next turn and we can do a trade?

Show

As

Show

Equinox League

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Clockwork Republic
    Reputation 5, Morale 7
    Spoiler: Valence Lodge
    Show

de Leuteum,
    Glad to hear it. As I said, at the moment we’re most just looking to continue the previous deal, or part of it. Metaphysical expertise for whatever horror shows you’re working on, which I’m assuming you want, in exchange for party tricks and motivational aids, which you presumably don’t particularly care about.
    The numbers depend on if Hayy drags anything too reality-bruising out of the mountains, but how much of a cultural mission would you say keeping the current embassy working for you would be worth? Not everything you can offer, of course, but you’d agree that theurges are more useful to you than entertainers, pound for pound, right?
    Anyway, on a theoretically less mercenary matter – our resident experts in treaty-making and world-changing have spent a lot of time staring at maps, recently. Mostly how little empty space there is left on them.
    Take a look at the treaty draft I’ve enclosed, see if it agrees with you?
    Spoiler: Treaty Draft
    Show

1. The Valence Lodge and the Esheri Republic commit to defending each other’s integrity, both territorial, economic, and political, against the attack of any other great power, whether overt or otherwise.
    2. If any power declares war on either of the signatories, the other will be obligated to immediately declare war on them as well, and prosecute the war in good faith, until victory or a negotiated compromise have been achieved.
    3. If proof is provided that one of the signatories has been the target of an attack by a nation which has not declared war on them, then if the wounded signatory wishes to retaliate, the other signature will be obligated to declare war as well (and prosecute it as per the previous article).
    4. If both parties agree that another nation is a threat to peace or to their independence, then by mutual consensus they can as a preventative measure declare war jointly and coordinate their offensive efforts towards the achievement of agreed upon war goals.
    5. In the unfortunate and unlikely event that other treaty obligations leave signatories on opposing sides of a wider war, they agree to treat each other with strict and friendly neutrality, and not undertake any offensive actions toward each other’s assets, or provide material aid to other nations doing the same.

Some more active cooperation might be worth taking about, too. But that’s more something to consider in private – maybe I can visit in the New Year? (next turn)

-Coordinator Nese, Ranking Member of the Committee of Industry and Progress (Hanrui)

Show

We can certainly work out an instalment plan, if you find yourself in crisis. Though my preferred solution would be to simply take payment in kind, if you find yourself strapped for cash but with an uncomfortable number of unemployed assassins or diplomats loafing around.
    We’ll wait to hear your offer, of course. Our available resources do depend on a few reports I’m waiting on.
    I’m assuming you won’t be too offended that some of my colleagues reading your mail, given how everyone else and their dogs are too, so I hope you don’t mind asking out of idle curiosity – why are you looking to trade assassins for a credit not at the same time you’re doing you level best to dive into a war? (Though please don’t feel any need to reconsider your decisions).
    -Coordinator Nese, Ranking Member of the Committee of Industry and Progress (Hanrui)

Spoiler: Red Aurora College
    Show

77 – The Phoenix Voice
    Consider it ratified, then. Would you prefer it kept secret, or publicly announced?
    We are, thankfully, seemingly not a very appealing meal for the Khan at the moment. Warrior-aristocrats as a class have certain collective delusions about glory, and we do not seem to fit their preferred image of a foe, at least not yet. Small mercies, I suppose.
    I hope you’ll excuse some of my less restrained colleagues feeling the need to keep me informed, but I’m given to understand you’ve sought an alliance with some of the less bloodthirsty nations of Xihou (which is a somewhat depressing ranking, given the options). I hope you’ll give us some warning, if we’re going to find ourselves neighbours with soulless reavers or revanents?
    May your eyes ever be unclouded,
    -Academic Cahit, Committee on Applied Metaphysics, Esheri Republic

Spoiler: Ironhoof Khanate
    Show

To the Great Khan Artios Fellstrider,
    Your wishes have been understood. The Republic’s armies and agents will leave the northern desert, to which your outriders have already charted a path through the mountains, to you. [Territory 8].
    I wish you the best of luck in finding a foe worthy of your wrath and capable of providing you a glorious war.
    Peace and Reason,
    Academic Hira, Special Adviser to the Secretariat

Spoiler: Nine Layered Bank
    Show

Cartloads of gold will be fine, precious gems, silk, wootz steel weaponry or armour, **** I’m pretty sure if I had a debt note secured against the promise of eternal damnation I wouldn’t even need any hard specie to back it with.
    But anyway, yes, I’d like to take out a loan. Depending on the liquid capital you have on hand, either the equivalent of 400,000 Virtues in hard currency or the skilled labor of conjurers and alchemists – Which we would be willing to pay back with quite generous interest with three payments of 200,000 each across a year and a half – or, if you are able to make it work – 900,000 Virtues or equivalent labor, which we would be able to pay back across five payments of 300,000 each.
    Willing to negotiate on the details, though not by much. See a way of making this work?
    [For reference, looking to take a loan of 4 econ/mag and pay back 2 econ/turn over three turns, or take out a loan of 9 econ/mag and pay back 3/turn over 5 turns]

Spoiler: Midturn
    Show

Hayy (tier 1 Adv) and 3 Adv will clear floors 5-8 of the Hollow Peak, re-rolling loot on level 5

8 Votes for VIP XP
    Last edited by St. Justicar; 2020-11-22 at 10:19 PM.
    Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

The Grand Collection of the First Hill Hobbits of Taedhea and Surrounding Countryside Under the Administration of the Great Council of Elders, Colony of the Exceptional Alliance of Free Hobbits Administrated by the Parliament of Duly Elected Officials

Morale 10
    Rep 11

The new appointed ministers of Peace, Information and Policy sit across Guntram.

A pleasure to meet you all. I hope you are all well. Let's get started on the meeting. Today we are going to talk about policy and congress. Guntram says reading his notes. That week of meetings was the worst but slowly they acclimated. Got used to their job and soon the bureaucracy of the Hobbits starts accelerating as they worked to better the use of resources.

Spoiler: Everyone
    Show

Greetings everyone, it seems about time for another meeting of discussion and consideration. We would like to invite everyone to our home for a meeting of the minds.

The Hobbit Elders

Spoiler: Legion of Balance
    Show

I am glad that our alliance has worked out so well. We are close to finishing the refuge camps and it might be just in time.

Would you be interested in a full reputation alliance? We feel the extra votes will really help secure Hanrui and hope our trend setting ways have helped convince you of ability to do good.

Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Spoiler: The Remnant's of the Pillar
    Show

Greetings, Jade Wizard.

It is a pleasure to hear of your potential arrival to Hanrui. We are mailing you to ask how you will be judging the bids? Is it strictly based on the highest bid? We might not be known for our magical might but you would find just by allying with us, it could reflect well on the Pillar's standing and our location would make an excellent safe research area, while being close to the unique shamanistic magic of the Khanate and the Red Aurora College. Will this be taken into account when it is time to bid?

We are also curious why this is being brought up in Congress? If denied would you still be allowed to enter if a nation invited you but not host any bids?

Glad for your time,
    Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Spoiler: The Red Aurora College
    Show

It is good to be cautious. I am doubtful they will invade you given the massive distance wrapping around the coast would entail but we will be here if they do to assist in protecting you. Perhaps we should have an official defensive alliance together to show the other nations our interest in mutual defense.

Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Spoiler: The Vancian Fraternity
    Show

We suggest the Squeaky Wheel, they are near to the trashpit and most well known for their bathhouse with both private or traditional co-ed options. There is a shady person in the corner but we will flag you as uninterested. It is often a good choice for right after an adventure. If you prefer there is of course several other popular Hobbit establishments nearby. We may not be as known for our alcohol as the dwarves but you will be hard pressed to find better tavern food or company.

If you are interested in another dive just contact us and we will set it up.

Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Show

I will send the matter off to the tourism board. We are quite open to tourism offers though we may already be booked.

We are glad to hear you got such a good deal on getting your proposal in. It is good to see us working together for much more efficient proposal making. We will do our this season most likely. How are you doing on securing a reputation alliance or the trades?

Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Show

We heard you are interested in our exciting dungeons. There is a small fee of [1 temp economy] for tourism fees for parties under [5 temp adventurers] to use it payable after the exploring with an additional fee if you clear it. We would love for people to explore it. It is absolutely scenic with horrific screams, unique monsters and a great aesthetic. Up to [10 temp adventurers] may go for just [3 temp economy].

If that is too rich we do have a cheaper unofficial option we recently found but are not actively advertising at this time, it is free for under [3 temp adventurers] with a cost of [1 temp economy] for up to [7 temp adventurers] again with an additional fee if you clear it. We should note it is actively being used as a waste management system. Please note, the The Vancian Fraternity has first claim on the unofficial option as they have started it.

In either case all artifacts or consumable items are of course yours to keep with the exception of artifacts that boost reputation which you must offer to us for sale at a reduced cost of [3 economy per stat point]. In the case we are unwilling to pay for it that season, you may keep it.

Anyone adventuring would also be required to sign a waiver waiving any responsibility we may have for them choosing to go into our cave and that if through negligence they release a horrendous monster into the country side then you would have to clean it up.

We hope you are interested in exploring with us and have a great time!

The Grand Collection Tourism Board

Spoiler: The Silverhammer Protectorate
    Show

It is good to hear from you. I hope as new neighbors we can work together in continued peace and cooperation. Maybe even a defensive alliance of sorts to help protect the lands.

Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Spoiler: The Four Courts of Hanrui
    Show

We would like support and an official defensive alliance and we will agree. We currently hold considerably more voting power than you so it seems fair than a one for one trade.

Show
    I control more than double what you have in votes if I did the math right so asking for a defensive alliance.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

The Silverhammer Protectorate

The Preying Rock - the Guardian Rock

Seen from the seas, the group of islands before the coast of the Protectorate seemed like mountaintops rising high into the heavens. Steep, tall cliffs, with only few protected harbours. Perfect for pirates, three Pirate Lords, who had been the rulers of the islands, collectively called "Preying Rock" for their dark reputation. From here, they had harrassed trade routes and explorer vessels.
    Now, their hideouts burned, their men were slaughtered or driven into chains by but a small force of Dwarves, led by the Lord Protector himself. They had been no match for the disciplined Silverhammer Force, and neither for the Lord Protector`s holy spear of Flames, that effortlessly cut through weapons and armour and burned with a heat that melted the flesh from the bones of those it touched, and lit them on sacred fire.

The last one of them had grown wise, and knelt before the might of the Protectorate, put himself and his small fleet of pirate ships in the employ of the Silverhammer Clan.
    His hideout, his protected harbour and pirate town was thus spared from destruction, and now slaves and the populace of the few settlements on the inland of the Preying Rock build it up to a veritable stronghold.

The red banners of the Protectorate now flew from a newly build dark stone watchtower, the beginning of a veritable fortress, and silver-plated undead Dwarven warriors patrolled the streets. The pirate's family and followers would learn to live with their new masters - for now, they stayed fearfully hidden inside, the streets eerily calm and empty.

There was much work to be done, but the Silverhammer Clan was nothing if not hard-working, especially in undeath.
    Soon, from the "Preying Rock", a "Guardian Rock" would grow.

Spoiler: To Elda Háfnar, the Farthest Fleet and the Red Aurora College (Mor 8)
    Show

To the most esteemed Kannir Aslund, First Captain of the Drowned Moot and Speaker for the Void, and the most esteemed 77 - The Phoenix Voice,

then we are in agreement. Very good. Let us proclaim the alliance in the summit. Any further discussion is best handled more discreetly, thus I propose we do indeed meet in person to further discuss our plans.

Glory to the Flame, and to mutual Strength,
    Lord Protector Halgeir Silverhammer of the Silverhammer Protectorate
    Show

All right, Ill add the creation of the trade route this midturn.

Spoiler: To the Celestial Empire of Longshan (Mor 8)
    Show

To the most esteemed Emperor Xishun, Son of Heaven,

The Covenant are but a conglomerate of fugitive rabble, and they have the manners and statesmanship of such.
    Make no mistake though - their tears are very much real, and they are the most obvious sign they are unfit to rule and belong in chains.

Glory to the Flame, and to mutual advancement,

Spoiler: Internal - Midturn
    Show

Ironically, a squadron of pirate ships (1 Adv) chart out a safe route for trading vessels between (30) and (28); they are working together with their partners of the Farthest Fleet.

Ranger Captain Balt Ashenblade (Tier 2 Adv VIP) leads three units of adventuring rangers (3 Adv) into the Stonghold of Giants (since the Caverns of Shame are blocked)

Voting for the Spire of Wisdom.
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-11-23 at 02:41 PM.
    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Show

Member of the Kyrsull Entente
    Free City of Khasal - Ironfang Republic - Theocracy of Shemesh -The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Glory to the Flame!

Awesome Templar Avatar by smutmulch - thanks a lot!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

ᛖᛚᛞᚨ ᚺᚨᚠᚾᚨᚱ

Morale 10

Show
    The ships of the Elda begin to move. Longships traverse the southern shores of Xihou to help establish a route to facilitate trade with the Silverhammer Protectorate [1 ADV to create route from 28 to 30].

Meanwhile, a few vessels travel further, crossing the Reverent Span and waiting for the signal from the Baem contingent. From there, charting a course from Skerandre to their home island is easy enough [1 ADV to create route from 28 to 49].

Voting: all 7 votes for the double XP motion.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-11-24 at 12:54 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: Midturn-Barring any last minute shake ups from messages
    Show

Malcom J. Blackstock, Quartermaster to the Empty Flasks, Bastard of Bastards (Lvl. 2 Adv. VIP), the Dyad of Stele (1 Adv.), the Mother's Quintessence (1 Adv.), the After-Births (1 Adv.) and the Empty Flasks (1 Adv-6 total) will go clear floors in the Yellow Forest. May the Mother have mercy upon their souls.

6 votes to the Jade Wizard getting a home.

Last edited by n0ble; 2020-11-23 at 08:48 PM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

14. - Top - End - #134

The Four Courts of Hanrui

All messages sent at Morale 11.

Spoiler: To the Grand Collection
    Show

For ones so very well versed in material costs, you ask from us too steep a price. The magics of the Courts are not yours to armor yourself with. Do what you wish with your influence, then.

While the Fae are open to negotiation, the Fae think you asked too much. Your standing with all four Courts has slightly decreased.

Spoiler: The Khalos Trading Guild and the Valence Lodge
    Show

Neighbors, opulent and grand. Clan Baem has, from spite, thrown in with the arrogant Celestial Empire against the Covenant. This displeases us. We shall not stand for them on Jahakraum. The Courts implore you to stand firm, and let the Legion know that you do not support their claims. Though, to the Lodge - perhaps do not let them know that such a suggestion came from us. The Clan sees faron sorcerous tides.

It is signed "Dame of Rotted Threads".

Spoiler: To the Nine-Layered Bank
    Show

Ah, what reassurance it is to hear. Though we have no need for your services at this time, should you need magics to supplement your own, you shall find that the hospitality of the Courts is indeed renowned.

Show

Wheels turn, winds blow. The Khanate is appeased. One of three is not sufficient, and so the Legion stands firm.

Spoiler: To the Elda Hafnar
    Show

Be careful lest you cause offense, horizon-treaders; once you've danced along the string, there is no escaping the web. Autumn will be waiting.

Spoiler: Midturn - GM only
    Show

3 ADV sent into the Deep Grove (3/10 previously cleared).

10 votes in favour of the VIP

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2020-11-23 at 08:57 PM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

15. - Top - End - #135

Spoiler: To the Fae Courts: Re Previous Letter, MOR 11
    Show

Dearest Courts:

We agree with your sentiments regarding the Empire and will update your on our adventures this season.

As for the territories, we did find a dungeon, but as you may have seen from our messages to other factions it has not met our needs in terms of dungeoneering opportunities, we are attempting to persuade some of the other nations of the world to work with us towards the need for dungeons, but we will not be capitalizing on any of their offers this turn.

We shall be committing our votes to the Jade Wizard this season as you requested, and will ensure it passes.

Yours,

Lysa, Mouth of Khalos

Spoiler: The Celestial Empire: MOR 11
    Show

Thank you for your clarification when it comes to your dungeons, though after balancing the books it does not seem like we can afford to delve deep this season.

We shall reach out again, though we understand if the terms have been changed once everything has settled with the Covenant.

Spoiler: The Legion of Balance: MOR 11
    Show

To preface, we shall not be delving this season, our current dungeons have our attention, though you will be our first choice for them if we need it, and we shall reach out with anything ESP related we discover within the depths.

As for a message we received from Clan Baem, they have asked us to remind you that they would be an asset to our continent, though we don't claim to know the wants of the Lady of Balance, we would ask you to consider not allowing them to touch on our shores. The Clan is an order of Chaos that has entered a war with an already weakened nation. They are opportunists who know nothing of a fair fight.

We would prefer to continue not dealing with them.

Oppam, Mouth of Khalos

Spoiler: To the Nine Layered Bank: 11
    Show

Should it please you, one of our adventurers, Hannah Scalesbane has expressed interest in finding patronage at the Nine Layered Bank. We would send her this season, but she would have just been finished her training and would arrive just as the sun set on the season, meaning she wouldn't be able to work.

If it works in the books, we would prefer a direct payment for Hannah. She understands what she is signing up for. Once we have established our terms and the Guild Members are no longer nervous about being the first sent off to the Bank, we will likely have more recruits.

Oppam, Mouth of Khalos

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

Making a MOR 1 VIP for you this turn that would be sent to you upon completion. That work for the Bank?

Spoiler: To Clan Baem: MOR 11
    Show

By the reply you sent us, we assume you can read our mail to others. This means that you must have seen that we are not endorsing your arrival on our continent. Between the Fae and the Guild, there is already too much room needed without adding a Fifth party, let alone one that has stepped into the cruel war between the Covenant and the Empire.

As for souls, let us hear your offer if you can read the letters.

Finally, we will not be dungeoneering outside of our lands this season, but your terms are quite fair and are of great interest for us. You are not robbing yourselves.

Lysa, Mouth of Khalos

Spoiler: To Valence Lodge
    Show

You are astute traders, both impressive and frustrating how high you hold the value of potential profit. Understandable, but frustrating.

All of the Mouths of Khalos that have been trained in the past season were coin masters, but we are engaging with the Nine Layered bank in training some new recruits for their... program. Perhaps the same could be arranged for you? In the interest of honesty, they are offering us 8 ECON for each VIP, meaning that we will need similar terms.

As for the territories, we understand your price, but with tentative wars on the Horizion with powers such as the Empire, we don't believe we can commit that much.

We will be passing the Jade Wizard vote, and we would assist you in taking his assistance. Though we cannot promise resources without payment, we can offer our word, which is valuable.

Lysa, Mouth of Khalos

Show

The Jade Wizard would cost resources if you want us to pay (or need to be part of a larger trade deal) but we would happily tell him that the Lodge and this continent is a better home than the college or hobbits.

Spoiler: Hobbits MOR 11
    Show

Happy to hear! We have not engaged in alliances yet but it seems like the opinions of some nations improve for us each time we trade with them.

As for the dungeon, please let us know as we would be happy to work with you as opposed to some of the less savoury options around Hanrui.

Oppam, Mouth of Khalos

Spoiler: MID TURN
    Show

The Adventurers of Khalos will dive deep into the Frost Wyvern Lair: sending 5 ADV to clear 1-5 and Khalos to clear 6-10

The Adventurers of Khalos will dive into the Forest of the Forgotten: sending 2 ADV, 2 MIL and 2 MAG into the Dungeon to clear 4 floors.

World Congress Votes

Committing:
    10/14 votes to summon the Jade Wizard
    4/14 votes to the express training of VIPS

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

The Grand Collection of the First Hill Hobbits of Taedhea and Surrounding Countryside Under the Administration of the Great Council of Elders, Colony of the Exceptional Alliance of Free Hobbits Administrated by the Parliament of Duly Elected Officials

Morale 10
    Rep 11

Spoiler: The Fae courts
    Show

We would argue, our deal was essentially in your favor and our vote was more good will. We are unlikely to be invaded given our good relations with the Khanate and the College while you are slightly more likely depending on how your relations are with the lodge. Our deal wouldn't have directly stopped any aggression you might have with others, though we might assist others we are in defensive pacts with. You should consider it further even if it is too late to affect our vote.

Guntram Von Banks, Elder

Show

2 adventurers are going into my Trash Pits. If Red Aurora sends their people in as well, they will gladly adventure along with them.

10 votes for more VIP xp
    10 votes for the Jade Wizard coming

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

eek Re: Total War Hanrui 3: The Final Hanrui IC

Clan Baem

Morale 4:

Spoiler: The red aurora college
    Show
    Your bid is noted, and appreciated, Clan Baem would be glad to put their voices behind such a respectable institution (though that doesn't mean we are not charging for it) and you'll be notified if anybody bids higher.

-Luck and auspice, Clan Baem.

PS: what are your thoughts on the coming mage and their retinue?

Show
    To Hjordis ys Orvar, Captain of Khombriss Depths,

Very well, we can hash out who leaves with whom once our respective fleets meet, we think there is a couple of islands near a rock formation shaped like rabbit ears (you do have rabbits right?), we can share maps near there, since is so visible.

Show
    sending my half of the route, we'll see about the ammount paid come midturn.

Show
    Lady Moira de Leuteum,

Thats good to hear.

You may have misunderstood our words, the clan will sell their voice in the congress from now on, as anyone who would be capable and likely to pay for it has been judged decent enough to throw our lots with (though who knows, we may yet end up voting with the khan...), but For this season at least we will support the Jade wizards' right to come visit Hanrui, and if they are willing we will provide the proper accommodations.

We wouldn't doubt your commitment to your word, and as to the matter at hand, the legion is neutral as can be on the matter (proper of them I should say) and only the fae seem to be losing some of their commitment to their promise of support which I can't blame on them as the beautiful beings are many things, but not centralized. Khalos will likely support us, as they seek for ever more crevices to explore so do know you won't be shuned by your peers for keeping this word as well.

Show
    nah, I'm not selling my votes this turn for that much (kind of pricy) I'm selling all of my future votes for 3 or more econ (depending on the ammount of bidders) though is looking mighty like it'll be for 3. Yeah, we agreed on 5 I just wanted to know if you could deliver all on ESP since you said ESP/Rep before. you mean if anybody gives a direct negative or are you changing the price for the previously agreed upon approval? *feel free to reply on discord PMs, this is more of an understanding question anyway*

Spoiler: The Celestial empire of longshan
    Show
    Emperor Xishun, Son of Heaven, Lord of Longshan,

We can spare the men, both to connect our people's and to aid in any endeavours that'll bring a quick ending to this war, seeing as any sort of mediation is nonexistant and thus failing to do so, the only problem we have is with a possible overcommitment to this conflict that some may see as a chance to strike, we can deliver in force if you promise openly for the world to hear, to back us in the next conflict to afflict our people, with your majesty on our side surely no one would dare threaten us.

Show
    I'll do you one better, a route connecting 49 to 40, and a decent enough ammount of ESP say something like 5-6x as much? for the mil to guide into battle and a guarantee to enter the next conflict Clan Baem is directly embroiled in, either offensive or defensive.

Spoiler: The Clockwork republic
    Show
    To the Coordinator Nese, wrestler of pigs,

Hey, if you bureaucratic types are willing to skip a step We'll gladly send a few men to vacation over there and make a mess in the direction you point them towards. It happens, our available offers are also waiting on such reports.

We'd be offended if you didn't. Couldn't get so many copies of proper writing out as there are of our diplomatic mail if all of what we pass for an industry was turned towards it. As to the answer, do you enjoy gambling coordinator? if you don't, learn a bit: the lowest odds seem by volume to favour the poor and downtrodden, those big numbers that can change a life paid for by the slightly tilted odds that can bring a rich man to ruin if he gets hooked on them but that can be worth it as well if dealt with care, and like with most things (including nature, as even your fancy excuses for a mage should attest to) it favours those that remember rules are but suggestions...

...But we are getting too wordy, the point is that we enjoy gambling, and worry not, we are winning.

-Beat the odds as well this season, Clan Baem.

Spoiler: The Fae courts
    Show
    Such is the fair way
    Would you care for mortal men
    Who pay for the stay?

Show
    Anything I can do to be a welcome neighbour

Spoiler: The Khalos Guild
    Show
    esteemed Lysa, mouth of Khalos,

I would not be so rude as to tell you your own intentions before even get the chance of telling us yourseves (assuming you would make that negative clear), as long as we are comming clean with our intentions...

I get the space concerns, but seeing as this place was reserved for the legion of balance (who hardly care before their usual habbit of inconveniencing one or another group) and not khalos or any of the other powers, so I hardly see any actual difference, you can even pretend is owned by the legion if you so wish, we'll even put our part for the coastal defense (assuming it is not done yet, intelligence is shaky on that).

The war is apart from me at least, but I can tell you from personal experience: nobody wanted it, we just wanted a bit of land, we traded for it, were betrayed, I don't know if hydras know grief, I ignore if when one head dies the two that replace them are even related. When a Baem dies he joins the all-chief (save some gorgeous exceptions) but is not the same as keeping them... the conflict is cruel, sure but it was cruel to us first.

I'll pass on the souls for now, apparently we are too over stretched to match even the feeble offers of the devils, at least this season.

we could stretch a bit more if it takes more than my words to convince you to support our claim on the islands, interested?* we just don't want a repeat of the last time we were allowed to take barely contested land...

good to know about the dungeons, hopefully I'll meet you in person some day.

-Captain Dae Baem.

Show
    Dae Baem (adv 2 VIP) will clear two levels of familiar falls, 1 Adv will be sent to create a route between 28 and 49 with the aid of the elda hafnar. And 1 adv to create a route between 40 and 49 with the aid of the Celestial empire.

5 votes in favour of the jade wizard thing.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2020-11-24 at 02:05 AM.
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.

18. - Top - End - #138

PaladinGuy

The Red Aurora College

Morale 7

The Grand Collection of First Hill Hobbits
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elder Von Banks,
    Our borders feel significantly safer now that the Collection’s borders are between us and the Khanate. A defensive alliance… Well there is certainly potential. I only hesitate because we are already defensively allied to three other factions, and at this point stretching ourselves any further risks pulling half of Hanrui into an unthinkably large war if a conflict were to spark. Or perhaps even worse, being pulled into a war on behalf of an ally would leave us unable to honour other alliances.

If you are truly still interested in such an ally I am happy to carry this discussion further, but you should be aware of our diplomatic situation.

Best Regards,
    77 - The Phoenix Voice

The Clockwork Republic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Esteemed Cahit,
    Indeed, we have sought to assemble a larger pact among the nations of Western Hanrui. The negotiations have moved quite quickly this year. While it is certainly embarrassing that you should find out before I had the chance to inform you myself, it was never something I intended to hide, and I would have informed you in my next letter. I don’t believe either of my new allies seek territory near your borders yet, though I will endeavour to inform you should that change. Shall we announce our pact at the latest World Congress meeting?

Best Regards,
    77 - The Phoenix Voice

The August League of the West
    Spoiler
    Show
    I shall send my trusted confidant, Feliana song to meet in person. I feel the finer details of our near future should probably not be by distant correspondence where a wayward ear could sell our words to the world.

77- The Phoenix Voice

Midturn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zander (lvl 2 adv. VIP), 4 adventurers, and 2 t.adv loot enter the Infested mine to clear 8 floors, with Zander rerolling on the 10th and 11th floors

7 votes in favour of double VIP xp
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2020-11-24 at 07:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

EvilClericGuy

Morale 8

Spoiler: Khalos
    Show

Greetings to the many-faced dragon of the east,

Auspice and longevity to you, I am the Imperial Chancellor Songsun Yun, styled Wangde. His Radiant Excellency is unfortunately undisposed on a minor diplomatic matter, but will once again be available to serve the heavens within a few months’ time.

In accordance with the directives of the imperial throne, we understand your hesitance and the opportunity will remain extended in the near future if you wish to take advantage of it. We might inform you, however, that many artifacts of the a Covenant will likely soon be available for purchase if your endless-headed majesty so desires.

If any disagreement with the Khanate of the Ironhoof or any other adversary ever arises, also understand that our armies will be available.

With respect,
    Songsun Yun, Imperial Chancellor

Spoiler: Silverhammer Protectorate
    Show

Greetings to the eternal defender of the south,

Auspice and serendipity to you, I am the Imperial Chancellor Songsun Yun, styled Wangde. His Radiant Excellency is unfortunately undisposed on a minor diplomatic matter, but will once again be available to serve the heavens within a few months’ time.

They may be fugitives and outlaws yet, but at least a handful retain our respect. Should they ever surrender we would happily fold them into our ranks to help them preserve their honor. Of course, they are still merely the magpie lizard between giants, and a simple show of force is the method prescribed to deal with such creatures. Their site of idolatry will likely suffice.

With respect,

Show

Greetings to the long-preceded dynasts of the south,

Auspice and serendipity to you, I am the Imperial Chancellor Songsun Yun, styled Wangde. His Radiant Excellency is unfortunately undisposed on a minor diplomatic matter, but will once again be available to serve the heavens within a few months’ time.

Under the directives given by the imperial throne, such a contract of states would indeed be highly agreeable. The amphibious force has already charted a course adhering to this plan.

With respect,

Show

Six MIL, then...? That’s what I’m going to send, but I’m also building the route, of course. Cool cool.

Spoiler: Midturn, GM Only
    Show

Use 1 ADV to assist Baem with the route between 28 and 49. For the proposals, can I vote yes to both...? Otherwise just the double VIP XP.
    Show

As

Show

Equinox League

寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Midturn 3

World Congress

Spoiler: Experienced Vassels
    Show
    The World Congress has tallied the votes from the member nations of Hanrui and find that the nations voted;
    39 Aye
    0 Nay

The Proposal has passed. The World Congress will aid in the training of new talent, old talent, and anyone else helping out their nations.
    Show
    This EoT VIPs will get double xp for relevant actions, so 4 instead of 2.

Spoiler: Remnants of the Pillar
    Show
    The World Congress has tallied the votes from the member nations of Hanrui and find that the nations voted;
    50 Aye
    0 Nay

The Proposal has passed. The World Congress will allow the Pillar NPC to enter Hanrui at the behest of the nations, they will start entertaining bods for their services.
    Show
    You can bid to have the Tier 2 Mag VIP and their 3 Mag join your faction. Bidding is done with Eco and Mag. They can be manipulated by players as if they are an NPC until bidded on and secured.

Legion of Balance
    Mor 9

Spoiler: Results
    Show
    The Legion sent 2 Adv into the Minotaur's Lair and cleared 2 Floors. They came out with a rare gem (++) Econ, and a manual on stealth for Riban.

Khanate
    Mor 12

Show
    Route is forged between 16 and 28.

9 Layered Bank
    Mor 4

Show
    The Bank sent in Sir (Tier 2 Adv VIP), and 5 Adv into The Pits of Hell and cleared 7 Floors.

They came out with a demonic tome of history ((++++) temp Rep), a rare diamond ((++) temp Econ), demon bones for spells ((+) temp Mag), several rare stimulants ((++) temp Adv), a powerful Dimensional Hut for long travel in unsafe areas (+1 Adv Item), a powerful Battlestaff taken from a demon mage (+1 Mag Item), and a tome of demonic power for Sir (8xp). A demon is unleashed (Lesser Monster).

Khalos Guild
    Mor 10

Show
    The Guild sent Khalos (Tier 5 Adv VIP), and 5 ADV to the Frost Wyvern Lair and cleared 10 Floors. They also sent 2 ADV, 2 MIL and 2 MAG into the Forest of the Forgotten and cleared 4 Floors.

They came out with a plethora of ancient tomes regarding the adventures of an ancient construct (10xp for Khalos), They gathered Wyvern scales and fangs for spells ((++++) temp Mag), found a rare statue of a clockwork centaur ((++) temp Rep), a powerful ring of firebreath that Khalos can wear as fang jewelry (+2 Adv Item), a powerful Arcane Orb for Scrying (+1 Esp Item), they found stolen gems ((+++) temp Eco), and finally they found a rare powerfully magical green veiny egg that seems to radiate a powerful hunger (Hive King Artifact Piece, 2nd of 3).

While adventuring several of the adventurers were caught off guard as a massive Alpha Frost Wyvern pushed past them to break out into the countryside and killing some of them (Lose 2 Adv, Lesser Monster). In the forest the groups lack of adventuring experience saw them pass by a shambling mound which followed them out into the land beyond (Lesser Monster).

The Grand Collection
    Mor 9

Show
    The Grand Collection sent 2 Adv into the Trash Pits and cleared 2 Floors.

They came out with a rare herbs growing in the garbage ((++) temp Mag), and what was thought to be a faulty potion ((+) temp Adv).They unleased a dire bear that had been living within however onto the local countryside (Lesser Monster).

Silverhammer Protectorate
    Mor 8

Show
    The Protectorate sent Ashenblade(Tier 2 Adv VIP) and 3 Adv into The Giants Stronghold and cleared 5 Floors.

They came out with the remains of an ancient adventuring party and their gear ((+) temp Adv), a journal from a dead adventurer (4xp), several sacks of stolen gold coins ((++) temp Econ), and the remains of a giant shaman ((++) temp Mag). On the way out a rampaging giant chieftain broke out into the countryside (Lesser Monster).

Route forged from 28 to 30

Celestial Empire
    Mor 8

Show
    Route created from 28 and 49

Clockwork Republic
    Mor 7

Show
    The Republic sent Encyclopediest Hayy (Tier 1 Adv VIP) and 3 Adv into The Hollow Peak and cleared 4 Floors. They found rare spell ingredients ((+) Temp Mag), a small handful of clear garnets ((+) temp Econ), and an ancient journal of a band of traveling adventurers (8xp for Hayy).

Hayy becomes Tier 2

Valance Lodge
    Mor 4

Show
    The Lodge sent Malcom J. Blackstock, Quartermaster to the Empty Flasks, Bastard of Bastards (Lvl. 2 Adv. VIP), the Dyad of Stele (1 Adv.), the Mother's Quintessence (1 Adv.), the After-Births (1 Adv.) and the Empty Flasks (1 Adv) into The Yellow Forest and cleared 6 Floors.

They came out with an ancient tome for Dyad (4xp), a small but living silver tree that drops silver apples ((+++) temp Eco), and a series of journals from an ancient goblin general regarding the rise and fall of alliances in ancient Hanrui ((++++++) temp Rep), and unleashed a wild ent (lesser monster).

Red Aurora College
    Mor 7

Show
    The College sent Zander (Tier 2 Adv VIP), 2 temp adventurers, and 4 adventurers into The Infested Mine and cleared 8 floors.

They came out with a old haul of mined gold nuggets ((+++) temp Econ), several rare magicite stones ((++++) temp Mag), the potions of adventurers who have died ((+) temp Adv, a powerful old Hammer of Shattering (+1 Mil Item), what seems to be a larger ancient magic array with teleportation capabilities (1/2 Pieces of Teleportation Artifact), and an old hand written scroll for Zander (4xp).

Clan Baem
    Mor 4

Show
    Clan Baem sent Dae Baem (Tier 2 Adv VIP) into the Familiar Falls and cleared 2 Floors.

The came out with a large ruby ((+) temp Econ), and small bundle of rare herbs ((++) temp Mag.

Routes forged from 40 to 49 and 28 to 49.

Elda Háfnar
    Mor 10

Spoiler
    Show

Routes forged from 28 to 30 and 28 to 49.

The Fey
    Mor 11

Show
    The Fae sent 3 Adv into the Grave of Lights and cleared 3 Floors.

They came out with bone dust and grave mushrooms ((++) temp Mag), a powerful stimulant ((+) temp Adv), and a long dead mages journal (4xp for Duke of Autumn). On the way out a Grave Wraith escaped with you (Lesser Monster).

EoT is due Monday night. Nov 30th
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-11-26 at 01:17 PM.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

ᛖᛚᛞᚨ ᚺᚨᚠᚾᚨᚱ

Morale 10

The winds of winter carry the carrion crows far. On the breeze whisper names best left forgotten, yet they speak not of war but of an observed quiet. They speak of treaties signed, of states rumbling and the shifting of great currents.

Three of the entities bear with them the announcement: the August League of the West is born today, ratified and recognized by the great people of Hanrui at the latest World Congress. Silverhammer, Elda, and Phoenix stand united together against any threats or challengers who would rise to match them.

Spoiler: To the Clockwork Republic
    Show
    Winds greet you, Society of Strange Steel,

Our emissaries have been watching your comings and goings. Though we seemingly arrive from opposite worlds, the Elda can recognize the power of promises made and spoken. Our mutual friends speak of your people highly, and we would not abnegate our covenant to contradict them even though there is no truth to be found in tinker shops.

The Farthest Fleet has no plans to call on you. You may occasionally see our prows breaking the waves on the horizon, but neither ship-crew nor wayward beast will occupy your shores. In keeping with our partner in this venture of empires, the Elda would like to offer assurances, such as they are, in exchange for oaths in kind.

We have heard that the Republic favors paper and ink for its dealings. Perhaps you may appreciate the scroll I have enclosed here, though for the sake of your reason I will spare you its provenance.

ᚴᚨᚾᚾᛁᚱ ᚨᛗᛚᚢᚾᛞ,

Show
    We are willing to draft a non-aggression pact between the Clockwork Republics and the Farthest Fleet. We are promising not to invade any territories held by the Republics, and we will not launch any stat attacks or interfere in any of the Clockwork Republic's dealings. In exchange, the Fleet expects the Republic to stay off of the water, leaving islands off the coast alone and to similarly refrain from attacking the Fleet's operations.

Spoiler: To the Ironhoof Khanate
    Show
    To you, the Elda spare the honeyed words and delicate analogies, for there is no need to dress up stark truths. You have been expanding over the plains, hills, and deserts, just as we have taken to the ocean and conquered the islands. The captains of the Moot respect the strength of your hooves, the power of your arrows, and the thunder cry of the horde.

There can be room for both of us to co-exist peacefully. In fact, there are several in my fleet who have made the argument that we should be trampling the rest of this chaff together. There is some merit to their arguments, I admit: we would make a fearsome combined power, and if you were to join the ranks of the August League of the West, the Elda would see to it that your clans are well fed and have enemies to cut down aplenty.

I am less sanguine. If you will forgive a single lapse into the poetic, I have seen the shape of Hanrui and know it to be a hunting ground. Whether steppe or shoal, one truth remains the same: there is only ever room for a single apex predator. I know what you will say to the offer that I have enclosed here, and what that truly means. If you refuse our terms for temporary non-aggression, the Elda will raise its banners.

ᚴᚨᚾᚾᛁᚱ ᚨᛗᛚᚢᚾᛞ,

Show
    We are willing to draft a pact of territorial alliance between the Farthest Fleet and the Ironhoof Khanate. We would trade and conquer the rest of Hanrui together. Whether the August League would remain in the picture is a matter open to debate, but we would split all conquest halfway down the middle.

For now, we will promise not to invade any territories held by the Khanate and will not launch any stat attacks against the Khanate. In exchange, the Fleet expects the Ironhoof Khanate to stay off of the water, leaving the islands off the coast (46-48, and 28-29) alone and to similarly refrain from attacking the Fleet's operations.

Given the expansionist nature of the Khanate and the Elda, there is one more clause. In keeping with the tone of the IC post, failure to ratify this agreement right here is considered to be a cassus belli, and declarations of war will follow. If they're not going to at least try to come to an agreement, we might as well have at it and save ourselves some Rep.

Spoiler: To the Legion of Balance
    Show
    Blessed currents and fortunate voyages to you, Lady Salandra Greydane.

I approach you as a fellow journeyman, an explorer of note who has seen much of the world - and beyond - past the edge of my prow. The Farthest Fleet has travelled farther than most, and we have seen many nations whose purpose sways towards good or evil, law or chaos. Although many would label the Elda as the latter, be assured that there are those among us who offer true enlightenment. Not all of our number are axe-wielding savages.

To that end, I am extending a conditional offer of peace between our two factions. You have nothing to fear from the Elda... provided that your future explorations do not take you deeper than the shallows. What the Fleet seeks does not lie inland on Jahalkraun, but below the waves of Hanrui; we can stay out of each other's way and both remain the more prosperous for it. The Fleet may be additionally open to trading with your Legion in the future.

ᛖᛁᛏᚱᛁ ᛃᛋ ᚺᚨᛋᛃᚨᛚᛗ
    Eitri ys Hasjalm, Horizon-Seeker and Captain of the Drowned Moot

Show
    We are willing to draft a non-aggression pact between the Farthest Fleet and the Legion of Balance. We are promising not to invade any mainland territories of Jahalkraun and will not launch any stat attacks against the Legion. In exchange, the Fleet expects the Legion of Balance to stay off of the water, leaving all islands off the coast (46-48, 35, 53, and 28-29) alone and to similarly refrain from attacking the Fleet's operations.

Spoiler: To the Nine-Layered Bank
    Show
    Weal and woe be in your favor, Counters of Souls.

Ware be to all who were worthy of your assiduous attentions, yet I respect those who know to cut a proper deal. We have seen ships headed to your shores, and suspect of the bargains struck in your halls. There are those on the Landing who sneer at what they see as shows of cut-price brinksmanship. They are savants and fools, as they have traded the vices of lesser men for higher purpose and in doing so lost the understanding that once granted them the capacity to make such mistakes.

The Elda will offer you a stillness. The waves will not come for you,

ᚺᛁᛚᛞᛖ ᚨᛋᛚᚢᚾᛞᛋᛞᛟᛏᛏᛁᚱ
    Hilde Aslundsdöttir, Hala's Chosen and Devourer of the Black Sacrament

Show
    We are willing to draft a non-aggression pact between the Farthest Fleet and the Nine-Layered Bank. We are offering not to invade any territories held by the Bank, and will not launch any stat attacks against them. In exchange, the Fleet expects the Nine-Layered Bank to stay off of the water, leaving all islands off the coast (27-29) alone and to similarly refrain from attacking the Fleet's operations.

Show
    Congratulations are in order: the wizard seems to be coming to Hanrui after all. Though given the results of the motion, the Drowned Moot is not confident in your ability to procure him. We suspect that Fae or perhaps the Valence Lodge will edge you out on the bid, which would be a shame.

If you want to swim with sharks, you will need the strength to survive more than a few skirmishes. I have sent along a more detailed offer that shows what you have to gain by accepting our crews. It is always better to get something up front for your investment.

ᚺᛃᛟᚱᛞᛁᛋ ᛃᛋ oᚱᚹᚨᚱ,
    Hjordis ys Orvar, Captain of Khombriss Depths

Show
    Our offer for the turn, reiterated: we are willing to send you 10 MIL in exchange for 6 ADV or MAG this turn (ideally with a VIP attached to the latter to minimize failure chance on operations), with another 4 paid next turn in any combination. That should be more than enough for whatever conflict you are getting yourself in, plus some extra to boost up your MIL should you want to.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-11-26 at 04:08 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The Valence Lodge

“The Crippled God scattered some seeds onto the brazier’s coals. Popping sounds, then more smoke. ‘Peace. Warm yourself, warrior, while I tell you of peace. History is unerring, and even the least observant mortal can be made to understand, through innumerable repetition. Do you see peace as little more than the absence of war? Perhaps, on a surface level, it is just that. But let me describe the characteristics of peace, my young friend. A pervasive dulling of the senses, a decadence afflicting the culture, evinced by a growing obsession with low entertainment. The virtues of extremity—honour, loyalty, sacrifice—are lifted high as shoddy icons, currency for the cheapest of labours. The longer peace lasts, the more those words are used, and the weaker they become. Sentimentality pervades daily life. All becomes a mockery of itself, and the spirit grows…restless.”

-First read in Steve Erickson’s Repaer's Gale, Book the Seventh of Malazan Books of the Fallen

The tree had started screaming when the sun disappeared, as if awakened by the absence of sun. Amorphous, lidless orifices gummed at the pale, opalescent eyes they held, weeping tears of sap. Bark had split across the white tissues of the thing’s flesh, forming a gapping rictus that had screamed all throughout the night. Mouth foam had given way to spittle, which had passed into a murky quagmire of drool and sap at the tree’s base. Every screech or moan was punctuated by a great convulsive quivering across the lateral stratum of its tissue that sent a scattering of medallion-yellow leaves over the shade of the arboculture’s castabout gloom. By the time the meteorchymists were done with mapping out the Forest’s freshly wrought constellations, a beak like nose had pushed its way forth against the bark, like a face comically imposed against a garment or a particularly well….embalmed embalmed writhing to get out from under its bandages. The thing’s nostrils had added a snot admixture swamp already congealed about the roots and leaves not beyond the tree’s base. Taking soil and leaf samples had yielded mixed results, which wasnt to say they was both a positive and a negative. It had only been the latter. Like a great pair of matronly tits. Sample extraction had simply caused the thing to scream louder-no doubt a symptom of the fact that the nerve-processes of it’s roots extended well beyond what was aboveground. The leaves had looked more like almond shaped coins, until the first of the stock had lost a finger to the maws that had wheeled into existence across the scattered vasculature of the treefrond. He’d considered using their last incendiaries to burn a path to the visage and put his sword to it, given how close it had been to his tent. But someone had to retain common sense-and just like incendiaries-common sense seemed ever in short supply. Forrest had a way of sapping the sense from things like that.

Sapped. Hah. The thought came on bitterer than the Mother’s teat, and Malcolm Justice Blackstock rubbed at his temples for what he put at the hundredth and thirteenth time. Then blinked his sideways and looked at the tree-thing, willing it to just. F*cking. Stop. The yellow light of morning had just begun to breach the undergrowth of the Forrest thick foliage to mingle with what was left of the night’s mists. Malcolm thought he heard a bit of laughter in the way the wind rustled at the leaves. Thick exhalations of breath came forth, scattering a new ropy chain of drool from the horror’s mouth to an as of yet unreached distance. His attendant staff took a step back, and the Quartermaster of the Empty Flasks reached for his water skin to take another deep drink, utterly ignorant of the spittle flecked onto his long coat. He kept a hand on his bicorn and smartly wheeled about on his heal to face what passed for the leadership of the other interests on this fetid little venture. The bicorn went from coronal to sagittal, and Blackstocks long coat did a smart little snap in the turn’s wake, casting off a bit of the spittle with a dull thud punctuated by a few leaf-squeals. His eye caught the eastern portion of his camp as it was, the daybrew in his bladderflask compensating for what would have normally been a smeared vista of a complete whole. A sorry camp for a sorry bunch, and they really were all such a sorry bunch, if the turn of his eye was any indicated.

F*ck. Blackstock returned a contemptuous volley of phlegm over his shoulder and caste his eyes upon the freakshow now in front of him. He should have saved his phlegm. The tree had been a more seemly sight than the family and property now stood here. Everything was buggered from night to day and he wasn’t even sure if night was day or day was night or if there really even was a way to tell the difference, or if any of that really-really-mattered next to the fact that his flaskskin felt a little light. Truly a horrible misallocation of resources. Whoevers responsible should be fired. “Well, that makes it a fifth one then eh?” The Quartermaster of the Empty Flasks jabbed a thumb over his shoulder at the tree, which briefly increased the pitch of its oration to new heights before slumping back into a burbling mewl. Like the Motherless thing was insulted. Blackstock shivered, gave his staff a dashing salute-or what passed for one in the forest- and abruptly started for his hammock at a smart march. Taken off guard, the various de Letueum representatives’ to the forest scrabbled to keep pace with Malcolm and only Malcolm. It would have made him smile if everything wasn’t so ****ed. He winced as the tree shrieked again, this time in time with the four others that studded the perimeter of the camp-hovel. The latter may have been too generous, given that hovels had rats and those had were a species alien to the Fores-

The embalmed’s tripartite of thoughts bluntly addressed him, each flitting into the language centers of his brain in verses that were seemingly harmonious and discordant all at once. <Quartermaster. Quartermaster. Quartermaster.> Most of the embalmed under Blackstock’s command had been changed by the forest, but the Quintessence had been made strange. The property-really the closest thing the embalmed had to a leader-hovered over the Forrest’s soil by a centimeters, it’s legs and frame spindly. Atrophied. All three of it’s cranium were oblong and oversized, fused again and again and again at the temporal and occipital lobes, pulsing in time with the thing’s communications. With the way it lowered to just above the Forrest floor, <Have you. Any need. Of the Quintessence?> Blackstock cast a glance over his shoulder and watched the egregore sedately bounce through the air towards him. Even with its trio of fleshes so degenerated the thing would have stood two full heads taller than Malcolm-even standing on the ground. The areas where its skin was stretched to emaciation shone with a cyanotic bruising at odds with lurid radiance of the Forest ecosystem. Blackstock picked up the pace to his hammock and massaged at one of his sore temples. 114. Uck. <Stock, find yourself back to the other embalmed not sectioned to me. Take the right. Instruct Father: they are to join you there, wherein you breach the gap they afford.>

<Yes Quartermaster. Yes Quartermaster. Yes Quartermast-> “Blackstock! Blackstock you miserable simpering **** of a bastard! I would have words with you!” Blackstock judged the gait by the frustrated crunching it imparted on the topsoil, then judged it again to be Mira’s stomping footfalls. “Blackstock you ****. We are doomed by your hand, your waste and excess of the incediaries.” He replied with a dismissive wave of his hand and pressed on, gladdened to finally see his hammock between the two trees that weren’t screaming nonsense into the febrile air. “Bah, you worry too much cousin. Go polish some marble..” A sharp inhalation that bespoke of frustration. “Save your rage for further fights, cousin-lest you lose it as a future catalyst for whatever insipid actions pass for valuable between your and your…” He stopped and smartly wheeled, noting with a modicum of concern that the spittle on his jacket had calcified into a bright cyan plaque. Presence of boron, maybe? ”… Sibling”

Mira stood frozen in the incandescence of her wrath, arms-crossed and baring down upon the Quartermaster with a most baleful gaze. Who knew heterochromia was so suited to fury. “My brother’s Stele will feast on your limbs, and it will be the last thing you feel before we make a gate of your marrow to leave this Mother-disowned place.” Blackstock blinked, the upper and lower eyelids meeting in a sagittal parallel. “If I die, the Flasks will spittle on the Choir-trees limbs for naughts but the megaphids’n’bortadellin flies for company-“

“The Flasks will die or they will thank and serve and breed for us, there’s not a middle ground left to occupy, Malcolm. Not in this place.” Mira licked her lips and made the movement of her eyes a mad wheel about that was equal parts sarcastic and revelatory, encompassing as it did the majority of the foliage above them. He really needed a tent to go with his hammock-perhaps something composed of a suitably classy hide like chameleon or giant. He’d only need one of the latter, afterall…Luminous. Mira may have been looking about but Blackstock didn’t miss where her hands went: to her Stele. A replica of her twin’s in miniature, bereft of the cut handholds of strap harness that would have defined Merrick’s weapon yet cast of the same white marble tapered to a pointed obelisk like end. Her stele had a metal bell guard under the flat transverse end where the marble ended, and where the grip was obscured by her hand would normally have shown a sword-hand etched with carvings of de Leuteum’s greatness. The white marble of the Stele of Putrefaction throbbed with a ugly white light and Blackstock had to look away and back to his cousin. He narrowed his eyes upon her. “Cease your crooning woman, the only thing we’re going to do here is get ****ed-absent sibling affectations or appetites I might add-because nones of us can come to a consensus on how to f*cksing habitate. Not here.” Never now. Something in his voice mustve shocked her into silence, because her arms got crossed again. “By the mother…”

Heh. “Your drunk on a daybrew aren’t you you spineless f!ck.” Oh. Well it wasn’t as though she was wrong, and with the matter of his hammock calling to him and whatnots…Blackstock turned and kept walking, and threw a “You have the left” over his shoulder. He’d thought about saying more but the twins brought their own sort of mayhem to the battlefield that was best left to its own appetites.

“Then who has the centre?” He wanted to snort but was worried that some of his daybrew would come up past the turbinates. Bad form for a quartermaster to be wasting fight juice like that. Worse still to be hoarding the premium stuff for yourself. Treasonous, that. The Center was his. Obviously. Blackstock reached the bottom of his hammock and began rifling through the various alchymicals below it, setting aside what he’d need for the assault everyone knew was coming. A serious fight tonic, the kind that could flip a bull-salamander on its arse when at the brew reached its zenith. A pneumatic clockwork gauntlet that had to be tightly wound for any real use – something he’d specially imported from the south under strict de Leuteum tariffs-retrofitted with needles running along the length of fingers that dripped with malign solutions. Armour specially treated with high-grade compliance and elastic tonics to accommodate the increase in anatomical proprotions afforded by the synergy of his day-er and the brew he’d set aside. For the Fight. A fieldbelt slotted with the latest in alchemical munitions for the enterprising throwing arm: a mercury chakram shining in the morning light, a grape-like cluster of macrococci for quick chain-infections, and a new admixture of powdered ruby and crushed Forest tissues for the gas detonations that rounded out the rest of the bandolier. Ah. And what he was looking for.

Malcolm J. Blackstock squatted and then drunkenly stumbled down onto his knees, clenching the rather mundane-looking incendiary detonator in his hands as the flask fell to the forest floor.

The camp’s southern end skirted a massive stonewall, it colors flecked with patches of rust where iron had oxidated and, at the lower levels, the brown smears of old blood where the execution of de Leuteum prisoners had occurred in the search for more matter. A good distance above: a hastily erected watchtower stapled to the flesh of the stone’s side with alchemical paste, conjoined to the floor with a retractable rope ladder. Yet still higher, above the watchtower, like some sort of ominous apex predator occupying it’s niche atop an ecosystem: the homunculi watched Quartermaster Blackstock, observing the bastard in supplication.

They cannot comprehend...

The incendiary munitions clapped out a concussive emanation into the air that echoed back against the rock wall. Pale white tribesman bodies careened into the air with ragged stumps for legs, howling out an accompanying symphony that was drowned out by the second wave of blasts. Yet still the Awlnzrae-supported Scoorsk charged on, their bodies engorged and hulking on whatever xenochymicals they had wrung from the Forest-ignorant to the ground that pitched in heaved into conflagrations at their feet. They came on in a tight wedge, inured against the barrage of strikes that nipped at the Quartermaster Blackstock lead his men forward through the haze of the second wave of detonations, yelling and twirling his sabre about his head. It made a dull, meaty thwack sound as the blade’s cutting came into contact with a diagonal parry from the lead Scoorskan, but no one could hear it above the shared bellowing the two figures spat at one another. The duo’s sounds faded to the plurality of dirges filling the air, lost to the sound of life warring with itself.

Magda Compassion Tarns blinked and the world shifted from the drab ochres and yellows of the Forest to one where heat defined the shape of things. Where breath and blood was seen as small red puffs of cloud that scattered to black. The embers of expended incendiaries were blurred orange and yellow smudges. And on the Forest floor de Leutuem hominids and trees pulsed with the same red-green of fading thermal heat, highlighted only because the arboriculture’s convective winds had already begun to cool the site of the battle. Magda blinked and detached a pseudopod from where it had anchored in a crevasse, then splayed it into the signal to advance. The Forest was ever-unifying against de Leuteum interests, and while the bastard Quartermaster had accounted for the second wave of Awlnzrae. But hominid senses had their limits, like any sort of conventional physiology. Magda could see the Jhalilbrii in the trees, priming their blowguns. A red cloud of breath marked the beginnings of their volleys, though at this range even Magdas senses failed to spate the faint puff puff puffing sound of the assault. That would need to change.

She dropped, letting gravity pull her atoms downward in time with the splaying of her limbs. The membranes grafted to her caught at the wind and carried her left, to the last of the Euphony Trees that the bastard Quartermaster had discovered. A flagella shot out and impaled one of the creatures branches before reeling inward to pull Magda forward. She made contact with the tree and used the momentum to swing upwards and around the branch, squatting on it for a moment. If the tree was screaming more for having a passenger it was lost above the din of the conflict it bore witness to. The branches pulsed and flexed –receding around the touch of homuculus’ bared feet even as they resumed a turgid sort of stability underneath. The tree’s pulse was quickening, swelling and bulging around the wound Magda’s flagellum had made. Where the bark had been white it now swirled-a mangled aperture, leaking sickly yellow vitreous fluids to the floor below. The leaves chattered-once, twice, three times for every pulse that quivered through the tree’s’ flesh. The language of life’s systems. Itself a strange euphony-one absent from Magda. Sparing no thought for the observation, she pushed off from the weeping branch-just in time for the next in her cohort of homunculi to land.

Sympathetic alchymicals lent her the cadre’s senses, displaying the battle in a compounded viewpoint. The Dyad of Stele were closest to the homunculi’s position amongst the tree. They faired as they center did-a middling stalemate that saw them bogged down by the trilobites driven before the Awlnzrae. Merrick carried the Stele of Teeth in both hands-underslung-like one might a ram for breaching. The thing was a rectangular prism that would have been pointed at the end were it not active: the end of the Stele-the top-melted to flesh melted to the stuff of stars melted to a great, wyrm-like maw that chomped and gnawed and mewled and devoured what flesh stood in its path. The containment glyphs branded into the man’s flesh were glaring with a baleful purple that bespoke of the frigidness they imparted onto Merrick’s flesh. Yet they still held against the monstrosity in his hands. His sister caught those left in the maw’s wake, sweeping and extending the Stele of Putrefaction like a great baton of rot. Magda watched through the last of her cohort’s eyes as Mira thumbed a rune on the short-sword like column’s guard, telescoping it into the carapace of a trilobite’s shell. Flesh steamed and boiled a torrent of black dead-matter frothing from the new orifice. Screams came from the creature as it decayed from the inside out. A black, rotten gas wafted into the air above the trilobite, and the Stele of Maws roared-driving the gas over the few trilobites left, straight towards the Awlnzarae. They shrunk from it, weeping and coughing out a similar effluence.

Magda saw all of this in passing to her destination: the middle Euphony Tree. She leapt from another branch and daintily landed on another, then skipped upwards. Towards new strata. The sunlight shone brighter through the leaves as Magda shot upwards, flitting from branch to branch to apex of the Euphony Tree she occupied. The cohort continued on down below. Magda stared across the vast brush of the Yellow Forest’s zenith. Uniform. Like the topiaries of some vast, unknowable gestation seeded to the flesh of this plane. A wind blew, and the top of the tree that Magda occupied shrunk and bent back against the wind’s encroachment. A few stray leaves kicked up and chattered in the cold. Magda didn’t feel cold. Physical feeling was the purview of the human. She leaned back in time and bowed the treetop back with her weight, making the lean as exaggerated as the pliability of the wood could allow for. Magda loosed from the sapling-frond and arced towards the lurid yellow of the Forest’s sky in a controlled parabola.

She resumed the splayed, vulture like stances the membranes had afforded her early, drinking in the sensations brought to her from the grounded homunculi she’d left below. She saw the Jhalibrii ensconced in their tree, growing ever closer with the cadre’s pursuit. Heard the exhalation of their breath as clear as any scream from the battlefield as another dart went from blowgun to the neck of the Quartermaster’s man. Felt it all tear away from her as Magda’s descent subsumed any sort of extra-audible input beyond the screaming of the wind in her ears. Her eyes functioned properly-narrowed to the tree’s occupants. Highlighted the Jhalibrii’s anatomies and made them writ plain against the skeins of their heat. Magda’s wrists twitched and she drew her arms and legs close in time with the proboscises jutting forth from her lunates.

Below, she saw the Empty Flasks gain ground as the After-Births and the Mother’s Quintessence smashed into a Scoorskan flank now absent trilobites to support it. The embalmed made contact first-exploiting the gap made by the After-Births enfilade of launched alchemicals. An embalmed wreathed in lightning and cinder stormed the hole in the Scoorskan right-and a faint smell of burned flesh was carried over the wind as the arcs of lightning cleaved tribesman apart. Fire. A tripartite of embalmed, all conjoined at their ovoid heads-followed after, coalescing what tissue hadn’t been transmuted to ash into familiar geometries wrought from flesh. Air. The solids whirled and careened about the Scoorskan line, bludgeoning tribesman with their own dead. Some of the latter evinced loyalty, attempting to encircle the last of the embalmed to make contact-a centipede like beast wrought from spinal colums-only to be scythed down by another barrage of alchemicals from the After-births staves. The wedge buckled, collapsed then broke before the assault, scattering a retreat that took them into a quagmire wrought by the last two of the Quintessence that had tunnled below ground. Magda observed as thin, barely perceptible needles of bismuth shot from the Forest floor to impale feet and limbs. The Scoorskans tripped and fell and clawed there way back, anything to get away from the swampy death.

Vision and locomotion converged as all five of Magda-and their viewpoints-collapsed into a single destination. She took the Jhalibrii leader first, outstretching both lunates so that the first parts of her that made contact with the Reeve were the dual points of her proboscis-one to the spleen, the other puncturing the eardrum. The momentum of Magda’s descent pushed the man from his branch into a dusty impact with the ground, trailing screams as the paralytics in Magda’s stingers did nothing for the pain of broken bones. de Leuteum’s groundskeeper followed the fall down and let one of her hands wimple into a grappling-hook like flagella that ensured she would not meet the same messy fate. Her other hand snapped up the Reeve’s blowgun in time with her gripping appendage being pulled taught against the fall’s momentum. For a moment, Magda hung suspended from the tree. Like a fly caught in amber. Then her flagella retracted in time with the tensile bob of its trailing and she was pulled back up into the conflict above. She rose. Vomited a stinger into the blow gun, then watched through another pair of her eyes as the muscle and tissue around her throat bulged into a toad-like goiter. Breathing was ever the providence of humans, but it had its uses.

The Magda that ascended twirled mid climb and put at dart into the last Jahlibrii left on the tree. It caught the tribeswoman just below the eye causing her orbital to swell, become stauchly turgid then burst under the pressure applied behind it. A doleful cry was loosed before the remains of the tribeswomans grey matter spilled forth from her mouth, leading her to a sedate slump-handing from the tree. Magda completed her ascent with the indifference of a roc, ignorant to the mournful dirge sun by the tree. Below, Blackstock put his sabre into the Scoorskan chief’s chest, his litany of spat curses lending their own cadence to what was now a largely concluded conflict: “F*** YOU! F*** YOU! F***! YOU!” To his credit, the Scoorskan twisted at the last moment for what would have been a mutually fatal thrust-had the calcified sputum on the Quartermaster’s longcoat not stopped it. The Scoorskan chief collapsed, his chest a ragged, crimson would that pumped blood and air flush with crimson into the Forest’s ecosystem. The remaining forest dwellers-a few stray Scoorskans, those Jhialibrii that had survived their fall and even an Awlnzrae-melded trilobite-had shrunk into a vague half-circumfrence of surrender. There would be more.

She descended and coalesced but for two versions of herself. Approached the Quartermaster. Noted the spear-one different from the Scoorsk chief’s-that had impaled his third lung. The heat roiling forth into the air as the effects of the fight stimulants were sweated out from his skin. “Blackstock. The Archymist-“ The Quartermaster whirled on her, his titanic proportions wilting in time with the ebbing of the fight brew from his systems. His voice came out broken and mangled, the only human word coming as a snarl. “Tarns. What would my dear dear-” He paused, spat phlegm, fightbrew and more than a little blood from his mouth “-dear, dear, dear, dear...dear? Sister..."His words slurred, and the man had pause to wretch all over the dying matter around him have of the Empty Flasks?”

“Half-Sister, Quartermaster" A flash of irritation mixed with nausea. "And not the Flasks, Quartermaster. You.” Something feral gleamed in the Quartermaster’s eyes as he looked beyond the homunculus’ shoulder to where the other two of her yet to rejoin had begun to deploy what would be needed for the return journey. Bone-rods were snapped together, dermis snapped taught and the gate took shape. All it needed was de Leuteum blood to activate it. All it had needed was extrapolations from old Hanrui artiface-suffering in distance moved for what was made up in the cost of its components. The Quartermaster-longcoat and body now returned to normal proportions absent brew-cast an appraising glance about the carnage he and the others had wrought. A hand snaked into his long coat, and Magda re-coalesced into a singular form. “How could I refuse?” The Quartermaster took a swig of from his flask and stumbled forward to accept the hand Magda offered to him. And stepped through. To Home.

Amongst those of the de Leuteum adventurers still left to the flesh of the Forest and the shrieking of the trees, the duo of figures passed in silence, but for the alternating sounds of a stylus scribbling, the steady clatter of coin on stone and myriad footsteps, all trampling the firmament in concert with one another.

Will not comprehend

Morale 4
    Spoiler: The Legion of Balance, The Khalos Trade Guild & the Fae Courts
    Show

Constituents of Jhalalkraun,

To the Members of the Fae Court & the Khalos Trade Guild whom have already enjoyed this missive via the world congress, the Lodge apologizes for the redundancy but repetition ever breeds results. To the Legion of Balance, we convey this missive with the utmost respect and sorrow.

We of the Lodge are forced to draw the conclusion that Clan Baem makes preparations to move upon this continent. Baem possess a motive: they desire to settle lands promised to the Legion. Their disorganization makes them well suited to wage a proxy war on behalf of powers well equipped to wage one via them. In short they are like a most incandescent candle: burn twice as brightly when combustion is applied, but are incinerated away twice as quickly in the resultant conflagrations. In seeding conflict in our lands what would follow is simple: in the resulting conquests the winning side(s) would be too badly mauled to resist an invasion by the premier military powers on this most contentious of Hanruis. Indeed, there is precedence for this, given their assault upon the Crystalheart this season past. In support of such a bold observation-one that We understand may cause no small amount of alarm amongst you regardless of its factuality-We of the Lodge will avail ourselves of the extant communiques between Baem and the West, should you require further evidence from which to draw your own conclusions.

We of the Lodge are explorers, far from the famed warriors that guard the halls of the trade guild and those most hallowed of seneschals from the Fae courts-to say nothing of the vast duality of military knowledge espoused by the Legion, as every conflict is ever a study of opposites. We of the Lodge look to you for guidance, but know that we ever work towards this continents benefit.

The Solution is in your Beaker,
    M. de Leuteum
    Morale 4
    Show

What we gonna do about these lads coming to f**** us boys?

Spoiler: Fae of the Four Courts
    Show

Indeed, we find this agreement possibly superior to the very one we proposed. Most equitable as well. The very study of contradictions we seek to derive in our pursuit of deaths enGive our regards to those who spliced your tetrarchy of ecologies into the various layers of human phyisology.

Show

Deals good with me!

Show

Most Esteemed Logicians of the Clockwork Republics,

No doubt you have observed that-for want of a superior parable-things are undergoing hairy period at this time. d. Our agreement will have to wait until we know more of current developments.

May your numbers sum correctly,
    M. de Leuteum
    Show

Not saying no, but not saying yes yet. Need to wait on some things.

Its starting...Its starting again.

Morale 0
    Show

Unwrought Matter of Clan Baem,

Know that the Lodge does not begrudge you your dreams of conquest.I do not begrudge you your dreams of conquest. It has been derived that the natural state of hominids errs ever towards conflict-and the want for excess that is so often associated with such primal response patterns. The Lodge understands these desires. I understand these desires. Quantified, dissected and rendered them down to their essential elements in the search for knowledge. I understand your position, and know it to be a most difficult one. However, I cannot condone actions you are beginning to undertake. I not see you to annihilation at the hands of the Lodges allies on Jhalalkraun, nor would I see you fall to your masters in the west once your usefulness has outlived their purposes. The Lodge believes there is a compromise to be forged between us: we shall retain our neutrality in the coming conflict, and hereby forthwith resume the trade agreed upon last season. In return you will forfeit a percentage of the arms afforded to you by the Foreign powers to the Lodge and provide the agreed upon evidence.

May your answer be in the affirmative and preclude extinction,
    Moira Retribution de Leuteum, Archymist of the Lodge, Architect of the Mother's Paradise, Baroness of High House de Leuteum

Show

Simple really. Until you can prove that the huge amount of military your building up isnt aimed at me I'm suspending trade with you for the espionage/rep owed and will declare war in my next response barring we can reach some kind of solution similar to as outlined above. Big priority would be that I need evidence and proof that any military you have would not be used on me and have a VIP free for you to convey any proof via a PM, where we can also discuss things further.

Last edited by n0ble; 2020-11-26 at 09:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Legion of Balance
    Mor 9

Spoiler: The Grand Collection
    Show
    Greetings Allies,

We are happy that our friends became such trend setters, it drove us to declare our alliance publicly, but as for a Reputation Alliance we would like to wait and see how our current alliance works out after we finish our shared project together. Maybe a year or so after the project is completed?

Regards,
    Lady Greydane

Show
    Greetings Mighty Khalos,

We too have reservations about Clan Baem on our shores, so given that you are not giving your endorsement and it seems that none of the others will either we shall keep firm about our claim. We also thank you for keeping us in mind for your sales.

Regards,
    Lady Greydane

Spoiler: Elda Hafnir
    Show
    Greetings,

We regrettably cannot sign a non aggression pact. We have seen you spreading through the seas and with war brewing near you and the announcement of your new alliance we worry that the Elda may prove to be a... destabilizing influence on the region possibly. We must keep our options open so we can keep the balance.

Regards,
    Lady Greydane

Khanate of the Ironhoof
    Mor 12

Show
    No worries little clockwork neighbors. You would not be a worthy foe, we do not look for gold but glory! Sadly your little republic would not bring us much renown or impress our herd leaders much.

Prepare to hear of our glory.

Show
    Greetings Mighty Ocean Born,

While we can respect your desire for expansion we cannot respect the way you did so. You took your people to the dark in the depths and sold your souls for power. We believe in power through hoof and arm, not selling the souls of our people for dark powers. We make no promises for peace or war, we are not peoples of the ocean but you would be a worthy foe.

Maybe one day this could be the start of a glorious rivalry or an alliance to make people tremble in their homes at the thought of earning our ire. It is not that day... yet.

Safe travels,
    The Ironhoof

9 Layered Bank
    Mor 4

Spoiler: Valance Lodge
    Show
    Greetings Flesh Molders!

Well isn't that how all great friendships start? One having a surplus and the other having a need? We are very interested in your souls that you have to offer, especially since you have so many. The real question would be though are you interested at all in alternate forms of payment? We have other things to offer such as rare items from our dungeon or use of our network or legion devils.

Regards,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Bankers

Show
    Greetings Wealthy Republicans,

Well that sounds like the leadership over there has the right kind of thoughts on loans! We like to work with other local banks so your eagerness and ability to let us work with your local banks makes things much easier! Carts of gold, gems, and rare reagents it is!

For valued customers such as you though we would offer a much better deal, more money is to be made in repeat customers then fleecing out all your money at once. We need you to be much more dependent and hooked so we can get at your delicious souls best deals.

Regards,

Show
    The bank offers you 9 Econ/Mag at the rate of you owing them 10 Econ/Mag over 5 Turns (2/Turn).

Show
    Greetings Mighty Devourer,

We would love to have Hannah Scalesbane among us, you understand that she would have to sign several contracts before we take her and you receive your payment. Standard employment contracts for all our ground level employees; pay rates, vacation days, soul ownership, public relations, relations with dark powers, dental, and obviously secrecy clauses.

We will ship our payments shortly!

Regards,
    Show
    8 Econ will be sent this turn for the VIP.

Show
    Greetings Blackened Souls of the Deep,

While we find you all very interesting, your powers and 'worship' intrigue us greatly, we cannot sign any agreements with you. While you interest us you cannot offer us your souls as anything other then traps already beholden to your dark gods. Oh we're sure that you could trade in bodies of your own and taken slaves but it isn't the same.

We may be interested in some of your more changed beings, several devils in our employ have expressed much appreciation and interest in examining some. However we aren't drawn enough to bind us. We know the dangers of contracts.

Regards,

Remnants of the Pillar
    Mor 4

Show
    We thank you for your well wishes, we are now starting to explore the many nations of Hanrui.

Will you be among those offering bids for our skills? We are intrigued by your magic.

Spoiler: The Grand Collection
    Show
    Greetings Friendly Hobbits,

We do not just consider the highest bid for our services, we are here for more then the highest offer. We consider the magical might of a nation, and to a lesser extent their influence with other nations, to be more important.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Clockwork Republic
    Morale 7
    Show

So, given the current diplomatic cluster**** you seem to have gotten yourself in, are you still looking to sell? Because I’ve officially got the cash in hand to hire as many diplomats or (preferably) knives in the dark as you’re able to find. More the merrier, and all that.

Spoiler: Valence Lodge
    Show

de Leuteum
    Right, yes, that offer was somewhat conditional on your not instantly starting a war with another trading partner of ours. Not good business, I’m sure your understand.
    Now, for apolitical matters, given the recent discoveries in the Hollow Peak, we can offer [3 Magic] along with the services of Academic Cahit [tier 1 VIP]. For compensation we’d want [4 Morale] and [2 Mil, Esp, or Rep, your preference]. Though given our previous dealings I’d be willing to accept partial payment at a latter date. Think we can make that work?

Spoiler: Nine Layered Bank
    Show

Deal. If any of you ever want a break from the whole hellfire and fleshhooks and poetic tortures racket, I’m sure I could find the budget to hire a few more competent accountants.
    Just send over the paperwork [confirm how much of each stat], and send a copy of the contract draft, I’ll sign.

Show

First Captain Aslund,
    We have no objection to mutual coexistence, provided you hold true to your word and do not trouble Vahsi’s shores uninvited. If your fleets do not trouble our merchants, then we shall have no urgent reason to trouble your reavers in turn.
    Though, while you have been quite careful in your letter, I will endeavour to be blunt and clear – the Esheri Republic has no plans for further expansion beyond the shores of Vahsi, but as a matter of principle it entirely rejects any pretensions you may hold of maritime hegemony, and any encroachment on the Souswardi Isles annexed into it this past season will be treated as an act of war.
    But I am sure that the messages I may have seen were improperly copied, or took poetic exaggeration literally, and so this will be no issue at all. In which case I see no reason why we may not live in peace, should things continue as they are.
    Peace and Reason,
    Academic Hira, Special Adviser to the Secretariat

Spoiler: Courts of Spring and Summer
    Show

The ‘letter’ is in fact a small but intricate mechanism of polished iron and silver. When wound, a light begins glowing in its core, projecting the message across any nearby surfaces.
    Greetings!
    I write on behalf of the Clockwork Republic of Esher and, perhaps unlike some of my colleagues, I received your message gladly.
    As luck would have it, an opportunity for trade has presented itself. We have a certain project which would be expedited by your expertise. Nothing grand or costly – spectacle and glamour, mainly, illusions to catch the eye and enchantments to enflame the heart. Nothing dire or permanent, but trifles in great quantity still add up.
    We would pay, of course. I would presume to offer silver from our newly established mines in Symponia and old-growth timber freshly felled from Xylea, but alternate payment is certainly possible, as is quibbling over the number.
    [OOC: My life would, given the present state of things, be made easier with 6 morale. Making an opening offer of 3 Econ for it, though that’s negotiable]

May the light of Truth guide your path
    -Encyclopediest Hayy, of the Clockwork Republic of Esher
    Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

The Silverhammer Protectorate

Spoiler: To the Khalos Trade Guild (Mor 8)
    Show

To the most esteemed Oppam, Mouth of Khalos,

The season draws to a close, and our situation still has not changed.
    Thus, we would be very interested in a trade of resources.
    The Ranger Corps has returned from their expedition, and they have recovered the magical remains of a giant shaman (2 Mag), which we would be willing to trade for your assistance in raising our reputation amongst the nations.

Glory to the Flame, and to mutual advancement,

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    2 for 2 is fair, I suppose? REP is preferred, although Mor or Eco would be fine, too. Honestly, I'd be fine with anything other than Mag

Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-11-29 at 03:55 PM.
    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Show

Member of the Kyrsull Entente
    Free City of Khasal - Ironfang Republic - Theocracy of Shemesh -The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Glory to the Flame!

Awesome Templar Avatar by smutmulch - thanks a lot!

26. - Top - End - #146

EvilClericGuy

The emperor sat alone, well within the Southern Palace but in a hallway far removed from the throne room. Without the ceremonial garb of his status and with an old treatise of history in hand, he could have almost been mistaken for a younger palace official.

One of the midwives stepped out of the chamber and bowed. “There were no complications, Your Excellency, it was a boy.”

He Xie smiled. “Can I go in?”

The midwife looked taken aback. She bowed hastily, then ducked out of the way before muttering some obsequities for good measure.

When he entered the chamber, the emperor was greeted by the sight of the empress fussing with her mother, as usual. A small bundle was nestled in Song Suying’s lap.

“I don’t need more hashish, mother. Uncle Teng’s wife didn’t use any at all, and she still rides around with Cousin Lu.”

Her mother, Lady Han, looked ready to go on another long diacritic about the ceremonial importance, but was interrupted by the emperor’s arrival.

“Lady Han, I’m sure this isn’t necessary,” He Xie said, “We’ll offer the proper offerings to the gods later.”

The Lady Han looked mildly reluctant to concede but ultimately decided not to argue with the supreme ruler of the country. She grumbled for the span of a few seconds then muttered something about a scribe and left.

Suying laughed, “I forgot you could shut up my mother like that, she was groaning about auspicious behavior the entire time. Now I wish I had let you in the room earlier.”

“You’ll see a lot more of me soon, I asked Master Songsun to take over from me for one or two months.”

The empress threw the cushion of her futon at him. “Sentimental idiot.”

“What?” He Xie caught it mid-air. “The last dynasty ended because each emperor was raised less and less by the previous one, right? Merchant Ming on the street can take a short break but I can’t?”

Suying feigned scoffing. “Here, want to hold him?” She held out the bundle from her right arm.

The emperor nodded, and gently took the bundle into his arms. The infant’s face was red, almost like the heroes of Shan myth, and gazed at him with what could only be called a calm determination.

The dynasty would march on.

A month after this scene takes place, the eldest Imperial heir is announced to have been born. His milk name is discarded for a new one, He Zhu.

Spoiler: Valence Lodge, MOR 0
    Show

Greetings to the artisans of the flesh,

It is recorded that the great general Kan Jin was like a valiant tiger with the halberd and a crafty rodent above troops. His forces took fifty commanderies before the wise strategist Xiahuang Gai sowed seeds of suspicion into his mind. By the time his sons stabilized his temperament he had already razed the halls of his ally states, Mi and Xu.

Be it known that paranoia and antagonism will not be tolerated in the realm of kings. You project these lesser traits upon others when you demand proof against actions that are not yet taken. If you wish to undermine the defensive integrity of the Idol’s End, also be it known that your walls fall as easily to Celestial incursion as any other.

With respect,
    Show

As

Show

Equinox League

寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Clan Baem

Morale: 4
    Rep: 3

PC

Spoiler: The Grand Collection of the first hill hobbits
    Show
    Respected Duty elected officials,

As the undisputed movers and shakers within Hanrui, even given the title of trendsetters. We'll like to petition your aid to pass a proposal, if you have not thought of your own to send to the world congress.

Spoiler: Proposal
    Show
    stats invested on long term projects are half again as effective (so 1 is 1.5, 2 is worth 3 and so on), catchy name up to you.

-may the sun rise with you and not the other way around, Clan Baem.

Show
    Moira de Leuteum,

Let our emissaries settle this issue once and hopefully for all.

-Clan Baem.

Show
    Hjordis ys Orvar, Captain of Khombriss Depths,

Thank you, it does seem that way, but who knows, fortune does favour the bold or so we were told many bold people ago, do expect our trades (should they ever come again) to involve far more magic should the wizard join us.

As for the deal, we'll take it, let the farthest fleet and the Baem wet their blades against a common foe, disproportional ammount of blades as it may be.

Show
    would a mixed ammount work for you, say 3:3?

Spoiler: Celestial Empire of Longshan
    Show
    To the Empire of Longshan as a whole, while the emperor is occupied,

Congratulations on new Heir, might the emperor live long enough for his hairs to grow white with age.

We appreciate your adherence to the promise of defense, though we suspect the Lodge's move to be nothing but a merchantile play on their previous debt is still good to know we can count on you, and know that you can count on us.

On the topic of the coming advance, what are your thoughts and plan for the peninsula's last step into the mainland, where it reaches your borders.

-With newfound reasons to respect you, Clan Baem.

Show
    Any chance you do not intend to annex 38?, most of my hopes for taking 53 are dead and dashed and I have enough spare troops to attack there too.

Show
    Coordinator Neese,

We are definitely paying our debt on knives this turn, though the selling will have to wait on a little diplomatic un****ing of the Cluster****, we wouldn't blame you for spending it beforehand.

Thanks for half-sticking up for the Clan, "Trading partners" would be the nicest thing said about the collective family in Hanrui if someone hadn't taken to calling us Dynasts.

-Expect a gift, something cheap of course, Clan Baem.

NPC

Spoiler: Remnants of the pillar
    Show
    Of course, we'd be pleased to have you staying with us and will do our best in the bid, hopefully whoever does win ends up proving to deserve your attentions.

-Merry hunting, Clan Baem.

28. - Top - End - #148

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler: Crystalheart Covenant
    Show

Forces have been deployed to exterminate your largest religious site. The divine artifact said to lie at the end of the structure will be sent to the capital.
    Show

Spamming MIL into your dungeon. Bye-bye whatever artifacts are at the end...

Morale 8

Show

Greetings once again to the dynasts Baem,

We appreciate your well-wishes to the imperial clan. May your line also continue into eternity.

We will be taking the upper Convenant territories this summer. The threat to their idolatry is merely misdirection, and I advise your agents to conduct operations similarly. If you wish, you may simply establish a colony on the Eastern Continent by force, and you would have our support in such an endeavor.

With respect,
    Show

Yep, we’ll probably be taking 71 and 38. Dungeon threats are just a trick and you should probably do something similar so not to provoke their active defense. Do note that their passive defense is like 12 or 13, so it might be best if you invest all extra troops into 39. Otherwise, you can just take 53 anyway and we’ll fight the Legion for you.

Show

As

Show

Equinox League

寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Morale 0
    Spoiler: The Empire
    Show

We have armed and girded ourselves with the facts provided by Clan Baem, a farcry from the rancor and banal suppositions bellowed across the sea by your subhumans. Consider employing the former, as Baem has done in their dealings with us, lest you find true cause for worry amongst your people.

The letter is unsigned.

Morale 4

Show

Logicians,

Indeed, clearly you are most intelligent to make such a decision. We agree to your terms. Perhaps we may distill a proper alliance come the next season.

M. de Leuteum
    Show

Deal sounds good. will have my end ready.

Spoiler: 9 Layer Bank
    Show

Most esteemed bankers,
    We would first need to view your catalogue before any true considerations be made. Know however that this does not preclude us from trade with you. Far from it in fact. The thrill of discovery is ever at the center of de Leuteum's outlook.

M. de Leuteum
    Last edited by n0ble; 2020-11-30 at 02:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Crystalheart Covenant

In a clearing in the forest, the two figures stood opposite one another. Standing tall was the figure of Grandmaster Agni, his form clad in blackened half plate, a heavy, two-handed sword strapped over his back. Both the armor and blade were inlaid with ruby that simmered with an inner fire, much like the molten strands of his own hair. Agni cut an imposing figure, but the one opposite him dwarfed him in terms of sheer size. Agni was no horseman, but it was 20 hands to the shoulder... of the centaur's horse half. The centaur's human torso was no less imposing with heavy, corded muscle and broad shoulders. Agni might be considered the greatest warrior in the Covenant, but there was no doubting that this man was strongest among their centaur brethren.

"You came. I am impressed." Herne spoke softly, his voice deep and rumbling all the same. Agni had seen Herne in battle, and when shouting that voice would carry over the din of battle quite easily. Agni narrowed his eyes at Herne and glared. The two of them barely got along, and now Herne had invited him out into the wilds alone to have a discussion. Agni did not fear Herne, but in their terrain it would make things difficult for him, especially since Herne had time to prepare.

For his part, Herne the Hunter remained quiet and watched. He could read Agni's expression well, while in return his could not be read at all. Herne was clad in armor as well, though his seemed to have been grown from bark, vines and leaves encrusting the emeralds set in it and layering the armor in a set of thorns. On his head was a wooden mask, with sweeping antlers, causing him to cut an even more opposing figure. At Agni's height the top of his head probably hit where the belly button would be on Herne's human torso. "I did." Herne smiled beneath the mask. Agni was uneasy. Good.

"Can you do what this campaign will take?"

"What do you mean?"

"If it came down to the destruction of the Covenant or keeping your honor in battle, could you do what it takes? Could you do anything to win?" Herne reached out to the left, two magic arrows being launched from the trees where he had prepared them, in opposite directions from each other, though he only reached out to one. Agni did not hesitate, and with one hand on the massive blade, drew it and struck down the incoming arrow splintering it in half while his open hand reached out and flung a coiling fire behind him that grabbed the other incoming arrow and drew it into Agni's hand where it burned to ash. Agni's blade then burst into flame and he spun it in a circle, the grass of the clearing burning away along with the variety of magical spears that had been poised to strike. "Could you kill anyone who crossed your path? Anyone who was necessary to bring this war to a close?"

Agni made to move forward but vines from the trees above had descended, and entangled his arms with a whip-crack of motion. "Could you use your fire and burn down Imperial fields if it meant their armies would starve marching over the mountains to us?" In a motion, Herne took his weapon, the heavy, two-handed axe at his side and swung it down as if to take off Agni's head at the shoulders. With an almost bored expression, Agni was swiftly coated in a burst of flame, the vines falling aside in time for him to bring both hands up on his sword and meet the axe's swing. The two of them locked together as their weapons crossed, equals in strength. "Could you throw away warriors of the Sapphire Tear? The Garnet Moon? The Topaz Fang? Without hesitation if it was needed for victory?" Not equal warriors, however. Herne was less skilled with magic and spent less time on self-training and introspection than the Grandmaster. What made him the 'equal' to the flamekin was in his strategic mind and his ability to command, and they both knew that.

"Why should I have to? You seem more than happy to do those things yourself!" Agni shifted his weight slightly, and as his blade coated itself in flame, he angled up, slicing through the point where Herne's human and horse bodies connected, watching as it seemed to fray and fall apart like a ball of yarn cut in half, vines falling to the sides. "Was this just to see if my blade had not dulled during the settling, Herne? Do you think so little of me?" Agni's eyes flared as he stared directly to the side where the real Herne stepped out from between two trees, the axe slung across his back. "You were always fond of such childish ploys, even if it meant you'd trample your own honor under foot."

Herne laughed, the throaty noise filling the clearing. "And you were always so fond of swinging your honor around as easily as you do your sword. Honor does not fill one's belly, and honor does not bring one back from the dead." Agni glared at him and held his weapon still at the ready, his arms not wavering, and not even sweating a single drop from the brief clash of blades and ideals. "No, you have given me enough of an answer, I suppose. You knew I was here the entire time, Grandmaster, but you chose to ignore that and act as if we had an audience. That alone is enough to answer my questions even if you have not."

"A test? Did I pass?" Agni asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

Herne paused as he turned to leave the clearing. "Only history will tell which of us was right, old friend. Until then, I won't stop any battles you or the rest of the Circle choose to fight, but if your honor cannot win the war... I will be ready. In order to survive this war, we must be ready to do whatever it takes. Even if that means killing you." Herne left, his figure quickly vanishing among the trees, leaving Agni standing alone, the scowl deepening on the flamekin's face as he too sheathed his weapon and turned to leave.

MOR 10
    Show
    We do not have time to waste with your peoples and your aggression towards us. You have not declared war over the Cobalt Cape(39), but we have already fought over it. Since it is clear that you hold little stock in our words, perhaps deeds will do better. If you want the territory it's yours and we cede it willingly. As mentioned before our ambition for territory was already fulfilled with what we had before Imperial cowardice struck at our home. Be wary they do not do the same to you.

Corundynir's will be done,
    The Circle of Elements.