New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Need help creating a fire and ice monster that lives in greenland

Title says it all, I'm trying to create a species of fire and ice monster that lives in Greenland, since it's both a frozen waste and has volcanoes. I'm kinda blanking on ideas so any concepts you have would be most appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Need help creating a fire and ice monster that lives in greenland

If fire-and-ice concepts are enough... there's this from Monster Hunter.

Spoiler: Eruzerion artwork
    Show

If you're more Greenland-focused you could do something with local folklore.

Like the Qivittoq.

Spoiler
    Show

Or look at the many bizarre forms of the Tupilak, the exaggerated oft-chimerical evil-looking designs carved out of animal bones for shamanic purposes.

Spoiler: Like so.
    Show

and then just apply a fire/ice concept on top of them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

well, what do you need the monster to DO story wise?

Is it something that works with the power of winter and makes the long dark nights extra scary.
    is it the contrast that makes the whole year a higher threat? In winter you deal with the darkness and cold and in the summer you have to worry about this monster?

does it play on ideas of the power of nature? the divine? otherworldly mashup of elementals?

Do you want the axis of the threat to be deep in nature or does it invade your villages?
    does it stay in greenland or is there a threat it can travel?

At the simplest you can take something like a remoraz as re-skin it a bit....or just look for any fire creature from whatever system sourcebook that feels of appropriate danger level etc and stick it in the icebound wilderness and reskin it to give it that conflict. makes life dead simple really.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

What about some sort of monster that can 'eat' heat? It absorbs heat out of the surrounding area as it wanders, leaving a trail of frozen ground and shard of ice in its wake. When it has eaten too much (or is threatened) it can 'regurgitate' that heat as fire.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    What about some sort of monster that can 'eat' heat? It absorbs heat out of the surrounding area as it wanders, leaving a trail of frozen ground and shard of ice in its wake. When it has eaten too much (or is threatened) it can 'regurgitate' that heat as fire.
    I, I really really like this. See, I'm having trouble because this is for a homebrew system where PC's bond to magical creatures to harness said creatures magic, and I need to create a Fire/Ice creature for a PC, that would be native to the geographical equivalent of greenland(we use a map of earth, but every country and continent has a different name and history).

So now that I have that awesome concept you've provided, I really just need to figure out what it looks like, I think I'll research what creatures are native to greenland, there probably isn't a big variety to choose from.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Rimefire Eidolons from Frostburn, are a Fey monster (fragments of a shattered deity) that might fit the niche you want. They fire bolts that do fire and cold damage simultaneously (half of damage is fire, half is cold).

Each one has a "home iceberg" just as dryads have a "home tree".

Aside from their bolts and their appearance (a lump of ice, with tentacles, surrounded by blue fire) they're more icy than fiery though - most of their spell-like abilities are ice related.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele