New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ring of Sustenance for big creatures

I can see a ring of sustenance working for a creature of up to large size for example, but how about a creature that is of colossal size? I realize that the ring of sustenance, RAW, should operate for these massive creatures with no issue, but a Great Wyrm dragon wearing a ring of sustenance and no longer hunting cattle and other animals for food? It lacks "flavor" to say the least.

Any thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ring of Sustenance for big creatures

Quote Originally Posted by redking View Post
    I can see a ring of sustenance working for a creature of up to large size for example, but how about a creature that is of colossal size? I realize that the ring of sustenance, RAW, should operate for these massive creatures with no issue, but a Great Wyrm dragon wearing a ring of sustenance and no longer hunting cattle and other animals for food? It lacks "flavor" to say the least.

Any thoughts?
    Well, it would be much bigger when worn by a colossal creature, so everything would stay proportional. A dragon could just use it when he wants to hoard his gems instead of eating them...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Any thoughts?
    It's magic, it don't gotta explain itself to you

Just because you don't *need* to eat doesn't mean you *won't* eat. But you can be pickier about when, what, and how you eat, because you aren't obligated to do it just for basic sustenance. You can be a gourmet and concentrate only on the food and drinks you really enjoy. Dragons might still hunt and eat because they really really enjoy the shriek of primal fear from their prey just before they snap their necks, and they think the adrenaline-marinated meat is tastiest. Or maybe they'll concentrate on sampling only the finest rare ores, or find out what fine art tastes like (Draconomicon indicates dragons can eat pretty much anything and some develop a taste for certain gemstones and precious metals) or just devote themselves to arcane studies now that they aren't distracted by puny mortal things like needing food.

(Draconomicon also indicates dragons are largely sustained by their magical natures anyways, and mostly eat because they like to rather than because they need to.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The need to eat and the desire to eat are not entirely intertwined. Just because an old red doesn't have to eat while wearing a ring of sustenance doesn't mean it won't choose to for the simple pleasure of the flavor of cattle of the terror of the knight. It just means that he can nap as long as he pleases between meals.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I know a few people that eat because of boredom, anxiety, and loneliness. Usually these are different people. But in all three cases, it isn't necessarily because they are hungry or need sustenance. Who's to say the storm giant didn't undergo an anxiety attack and gorge himself on food even though he wears a magic ring that makes him not hungry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Any thoughts?
    Lacks flavor? I mean as long as it's functional to say the least and powerful enough to accommodate the creature....
    All hail Jazath, Creator and Administrator of The Borg. They will bring order to this chaotic omniverse and impose their absolute will upon all creation.
    Those who stand in the way of Jazath and his Borg will be dealt with violently and efficiently.
    We are the Borg. Resistance is futile.

I present Jazath and his Borg

A wise man once said "To be insane in an insane world is to be a DM!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Question; what would happen if you put a ring of sustenance on the tarrasque? Would it just continue hibernating forever?
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Question; what would happen if you put a ring of sustenance on the tarrasque? Would it just continue hibernating forever?
    Ya know....... Why don't you go try to put it on one and find out!

But i think that's a maybe
    All hail Jazath, Creator and Administrator of The Borg. They will bring order to this chaotic omniverse and impose their absolute will upon all creation.
    Those who stand in the way of Jazath and his Borg will be dealt with violently and efficiently.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

But i think that would be the case. As the ring keeps giving it nutrition for its body it will continue to slumber till some moron decides to wake it up.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    But i think that would be the case. As the ring keeps giving it nutrition for its body it will continue to slumber till some moron decides to wake it up.
    Maybe, except now it only needs to sleep for two hours. Does that negate the hibernation?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    Maybe, except now it only needs to sleep for two hours. Does that negate the hibernation?
    I guess that depends on why the tarrasque hibernates. I imagine hibernation as being the sort of "default state" that the tarrasque stays in until it runs out of food and needs to wake up. That would certainly explain its behavior of sleeping for decades or centuries, raging for a few days or weeks, then going back to sleep. Thus, with the ring, the tarrasque would just sleep forever unless woken up by an outside force. However, an argument could be made that the tarrasque simply has truly horrendous digestive capabilities and hibernates out of necessity to conserve energy, like a giant, murderous koala. In that case, the ring would absolutely negate the need for hibernation, and the tarrasque would be nearly always active.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Celestia, because of you I shall evermore think of the tarrasque as "a giant, murderous koala." That is my head-canon now.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In that case, the ring would absolutely negate the need for hibernation, and the tarrasque would be nearly always active.
    Active, but not hungry. Maybe breaking it out of the ravenous-sleepy-ravenous cycle will give it a chance to pursue some interests that aren’t as murderous. Or, I suppose, more focusedly-murderous. It could take class levels, or something. Imagine encountering the tarrasque, and it suddenly starts casting sorcerer spells, or using bardic music or pulling a sneak attack or raging. Obviously, its intelligence is poor, but the other stats are all bonuses.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Any thoughts?
    Well my thought is that it works fine for a creature of any size, that has any anatomy where a ring could fit! My dragons usually get horn or fang rings... so I would say it works perfectly!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    Active, but not hungry. Maybe breaking it out of the ravenous-sleepy-ravenous cycle will give it a chance to pursue some interests that aren’t as murderous. Or, I suppose, more focusedly-murderous. It could take class levels, or something. Imagine encountering the tarrasque, and it suddenly starts casting sorcerer spells, or using bardic music or pulling a sneak attack or raging. Obviously, its intelligence is poor, but the other stats are all bonuses.
    Pursue hobbies, maybe, but it's a 48 HD creature. It's not gaining class levels. What hobbies would the tarrasque have, though? It may be (technically) sapient, but it has no manipulating limbs. I guess it could take up bird watching?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pursue hobbies, maybe, but it's a 48 HD creature. It's not gaining class levels. What hobbies would the tarrasque have, though? It may be (technically) sapient, but it has no manipulating limbs. I guess it could take up bird watching?

A tarrasques are not sentient enough to have hobbies. They are mindless animals

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

A tarrasques are not sentient enough to have hobbies. They are mindless animals
    An intelligence score of 3 says otherwise.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

An intelligence score of 3 says otherwise.
    What kind of hobbies would 3 even GET? It's too low to do most 'Complicated' Things

Intelligence
    1 (–5): Animalistic, no longer capable of logic or reason. Behavior is reduced to simple reactions to immediate stimuli

2-3 (–4): Rather animalistic. Acts on instinct but can still resort to simple planning and tactics

4-5 (–3): Very limited speech and knowledge. Often resorts to charades to express thoughts

6-7 (–2): Has trouble following trains of thought, forgets most unimportant things

8-9 (–1): Misuses and mispronounces words. May be forgetful

10-11 (0): Knows what they need to know to get by

12-13 (1): Knows a bit more than is necessary, fairly logical

14-15 (2): Fairly intelligent, able to understand new tasks quickly. Able to do math or solve logic puzzles mentally with reasonable accuracy

16-17 (3): Very intelligent, may invent new processes or uses for knowledge

18-19 (4): Highly knowledgeable, probably the smartest person many people know

20 (5): Famous as a sage and genius. Able to make Holmesian leaps of logic

Three is far too low for it to develop the thought patterns required for a "Hobby". It would require at least 4 or higher to even began!
    Last edited by Jazath; 2020-10-30 at 11:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

What kind of hobbies would 3 even GET? It's too low to do most 'Complicated' Things

Intelligence
    1 (–5): Animalistic, no longer capable of logic or reason. Behavior is reduced to simple reactions to immediate stimuli

2-3 (–4): Rather animalistic. Acts on instinct but can still resort to simple planning and tactics

4-5 (–3): Very limited speech and knowledge. Often resorts to charades to express thoughts

6-7 (–2): Has trouble following trains of thought, forgets most unimportant things

8-9 (–1): Misuses and mispronounces words. May be forgetful

10-11 (0): Knows what they need to know to get by

12-13 (1): Knows a bit more than is necessary, fairly logical

14-15 (2): Fairly intelligent, able to understand new tasks quickly. Able to do math or solve logic puzzles mentally with reasonable accuracy

16-17 (3): Very intelligent, may invent new processes or uses for knowledge

18-19 (4): Highly knowledgeable, probably the smartest person many people know

20 (5): Famous as a sage and genius. Able to make Holmesian leaps of logic

Three is far too low for it to develop the thought patterns required for a "Hobby". It would require at least 4 or higher to even began!
    PCs can have an Int of 3.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    PCs can have an Int of 3.
    Then...... if that's the case (I never ran anyone below a 5) then perhaps it COULD develop a hobby.
    Probably hunt for sport would be my guess at that point.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

1-2: Animal intelligence
    3+: Fully sapient, just dumb

This is literally how the rules work.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

1-2: Animal intelligence
    3+: Fully sapient, just dumb

This is literally how the rules work.
    I'm wrong, your right.
    Sorry.