New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Potato Chips and Salsa - An Unholy Abomination?

So I had some mild salsa left over from the bag of chips I ate yesterday, and not wanting to throw it out, I decided to go to the store to get some more chips. The thing is, they didn't have any Tostitos ... but they did have some Lays Potato Chips.

Is my soul condemned to the Nine Hells for eating potato chips and salsa, or do you think I'll be able to plead down to a less torture-filled afterlife?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-10-29 at 07:54 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Potato Chips and Salsa - An Unholy Abomination?

Eat what you want. It's fine!

I mean... salsa is close enough to ketchup, right? They're both made of tomatoes, at least.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-10-29 at 08:08 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean... mediocre food that you have is always going to be better than decent food that you don't. Lays with salsa doesn't sound like it would be very good though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I mean... mediocre food that you have is always going to be better than decent food that you don't. Lays with salsa doesn't sound like it would be very good though.
    Agreed. Kettle and Ruffles with salsa both sound better.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I find Lays chips to be rather flimsy and weak, so I wouldn't put salsa on them for fear of them breaking. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with the flavor combination. I'd still probably use a different chip, but sometimes you have to improvise!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I don't see the problem?

I've eaten taco/tortilla sauce to normal potato chips. Dips are dips. Only your tastebuds matter.

And I bat you can get salsa flavoured potatochips (which I will agree might actually be an abomination depending on brand/tastes, this local manufacturers Taco-flavoured potatochips...*shudders*).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    So I had some mild salsa left over from the bag of chips I ate yesterday, and not wanting to throw it out, I decided to go to the store to get some more chips. The thing is, they didn't have any Tostitos ... but they did have some Lays Potato Chips.

Is my soul condemned to the Nine Hells for eating potato chips and salsa, or do you think I'll be able to plead down to a less torture-filled afterlife?
    Not for just that reason, but oh my, yes.

Let's set aside the de gustibus non est disputandum arguments. Yes, taste is entirely personal and people like weird things. I know people who find the concept of dipping fries into a milkshake offensive on a philosophical level and grounds for a holy war. I won't get into that.

But I will say this. I enjoy tortilla chips. I'll snack me on some Tostitos any day of the week. But the best chips I ever had with salsa were not Tostitos. They were a brand called Green Mountain Gringo. And do you know what made them so good?

They were bland as anything. Little salt, no lime, no flavors. It was a simple strip of a chip, tasting lightly of corn and nothing else, whose sole purpose was to convey salsa to mouth. And it was perfect for that. There was no distraction, no extraneous textures or flavors. The thickness and shape of the chip held up under the strain of chunky salsa, without muddying the flavor with its own.

Those are the two things I want in a salsa-dipping chip. Texture and blandness. Now, I love potato chips too. But for the greasiness on my hands, I'd snack on those suckers all the time too. But potato chips are designed to have flavors. They're designed to be able to snack on them on their own. Further, potato chips have varying densities and textures - not all of them can withstand the might of a good chunky salsa. As a result, while I have personally played with flavored chips in salsas, I've never really enjoyed them - if I'm having salsa, I want to taste the salsa.

So, long and short version, yes, you are going to the Hells. And on an unrelated point, I disagree with your taste in salsa-dipping.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I should note these were Wavy Lays Potato Chips, so they had the structural integrity to hold a scoop of salsa.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

If anything, the main problem wrong with this scenario is you buying Inferior Ruffles in the first place.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Honestly, it's more social convention than anything that makes it not work.

That said, I wouldn't use Lays with any dip just because its Original Chips are salted enough that they only work on their own for me. Good kettle chips with minimal flavoring or very lightly salted tortilla chips work well with pretty much any dip.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Salsa is better than tomato sauce in all ways anyway!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Huh? What wrong with it?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

If it's just regular salsa dip, I mean, I guess.

If it's home made crisps and home made salsa or salsa dip, that also sounds great.

Pre-made store-bought salsa dip and home made crisps would be kind of weird for me but if there's not an authentic alternative, I would eat it while drinking beer or something.

As it was also pointed out before, if the crisps are too thin, the salsa is going to destroy them when you dip them.

Alternative: pour the salsa, chilly, peanuts, pieces of fried ham and bacon, nacho cheese, etc. INTO the crisps bag then enjoy your unholy abomination with a spoon.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I just really don't see what's the big deal is. I mean it's just only food for crying out loud.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I just really don't see what's the big deal is. I mean it's just only food for crying out loud.
    There isn't a big deal. You're taking this more seriously than anyone else in this thread.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    There isn't a big deal. You're taking this more seriously than anyone else in this thread.
    What can I say? I get very melodramatic just about everything in this forum. Like we already have one food discussion in the Random Banter Thread and now this. I got to stop taking everything so seriously when it comes to food.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-11-02 at 11:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hell...definitely hell.

Also, how did you not vomit?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eat what you like.
    But that is nasty! lol