New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Acquired Templates and Character Creation

Simply put: can you apply an acquired template during character creation (before selecting feats)?

I know you can take feats at the same level you meet the prerequisites for them generally, but I'm not sure how it works with acquired templates or character creation. If you want to use an acquired template as a prerequisite for a feat, could you take the feat at level 1, or would you have to wait until level 3?
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Acquired Templates and Character Creation

There's no hard rule. However, getting the feat before you get the template doesn't make any sense. Unless you get the template as part of the level up, taking the feat at the same time doesn't either. If you need the template to qualify, I would rule you can take the feat at the -next- opportunity after acquiring the template. That is; you can't take it at level 1 and need to acquire the template -before- level 3 if you want to take it then.

That's just how I'd rule it though. Ask your GM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Simply put: can you apply an acquired template during character creation (before selecting feats)?

I know you can take feats at the same level you meet the prerequisites for them generally, but I'm not sure how it works with acquired templates or character creation. If you want to use an acquired template as a prerequisite for a feat, could you take the feat at level 1, or would you have to wait until level 3?
    This depends on the template in question, as the 1st level is "technically" gained at an indeterminate point in one's lifespan (it's theoretically allowed to have a 1 RHD classless Human, but you swap the RHD for the 1st level; this is likely the "proper" representation of very young children and teenage apprentices to very extensive skillsets), "mechanically" referenced with the Starting Age tables. So if your character's a Wizard, you could have been turned into a Vampire in-backstory at 26 years old and this could still easily take place before you "actually" had your first level of Wizard. But there's very much Acquired Templates with requirements, such as Lich, where you'll need to get familiar with abusive retraining, such as the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle.
    Last edited by Morphic tide; 2020-10-29 at 09:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Depends on the circumstances.

Technically speaking you can take Accuired Templates (AT) at character creation if all conditions are fulfilled. Meaning some AT have some kind of cost or RP conditions and these things need to be taken care of. Do you have the money and/or the background for it. You need to check these things with your DM.
    And if the feat you are selecting at first level depends on the template I would say your resources (for the AT) are still on commoner level since at that point you haven't picked your class.

Imho talk it trough with your DM and see if the AT fits by logic/rules or not.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

So, basically, the answer is "Yes, if..." or "Yes, but..." + "Check with your DM".
    Unfortunately, there really is no way to get any "better" answer, even if we (the Playground) would like to give you one.
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!