New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default General Larp Thread

No idea if there are enough larpers on this forum to get this any traction, but why not. So here's a thread for talking about larp, I guess? I'll start with a question (but feel free to ask your own): What larp do you go to? (Or pick one if you attend multiple). What's your favorite thing about it - setting aspects, mechanics, player culture, campsite, whatever?
    Last edited by Kickaha; 2020-10-31 at 02:17 AM.
    Adventuring is a sport. The winners are those who don't get killed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Larp Thread

I go to one that's hosted by some friends of mine on privately owned land. I know it sounds pretty stupid, but I enjoy pretty much every aspect of it. Since the game doesn't need to rent the land, we can have permanent in-game buildings set up year round, leave heavier props and decorations there without worry, and customize the site to our needs.

The game resets itself every 2-3 years by starting a new campaign, which means plenty of time to play out a character from start to finish, have them finish their personal story, and then move on to the next thing. Also, because the mechanics are very focused on low-numbers, there's never a huge gap in power between a first event character and one that's been around for a year and a half. It makes it very easy for a new player to jump in and contribute without worrying about being underpowered, which I really like. Plus, resetting every now and then keeps power creep from being a thing.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

That sounds awesome!
    Yeah, low-powered games are fun, and definitely a lot easier to balance around (I always worry about the low-level characters in games with wandering monsters balanced for level 50 characters, y'know?).

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Since the game doesn't need to rent the land, we can have permanent in-game buildings set up year round, leave heavier props and decorations there without worry, and customize the site to our needs.
    This is my nirvana.
    Last edited by Kickaha; 2020-10-30 at 07:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I've only ever done parlor-style LARP of White Wolf games - Vampire, Werewolf, etc., myself. I enjoyed it at first, but the overly toxic atmosphere of the club eventually got to be too much and burned me out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I've only ever done parlor-style LARP of White Wolf games - Vampire, Werewolf, etc., myself. I enjoyed it at first, but the overly toxic atmosphere of the club eventually got to be too much and burned me out.
    That's fair! I don't know a lot about the White Wolf games, but I bet it can be tough to separate high character-versus-character content from the relationships and behavior of the actual players. Probably requires a pretty good GM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    That's fair! I don't know a lot about the White Wolf games, but I bet it can be tough to separate high character-versus-character content from the relationships and behavior of the actual players. Probably requires a pretty good GM.
    The rules were really the least of the issues - aside from the hurdle of reducing a dice-based skill system into a rock-paper-scissors challenge. It was more the structure of how the club was built. As a national organization, every game had to be running on the same ruleset to the point where you could travel across the country and show up at another Storyteller/GM's local game with 24-hour notice, which meant a fairly complex bureaucracy to navigate. That same interplayability made it almost impossible to write anything resembling interesting storylines, because in theory whatever happened in your town/city would affect other games in other towns and thus required approval from higher-level authorities. And on the flip side, you couldn't create any sort of challenging obstacles because you never knew when a max-level character would roll in for a visit and crush everything intended for your weaker local players. The benefits for continued membership, flat rate of character advancement and requirements for approvals on 'rare' qualities meant longer-standing members had permanently stronger characters than new recruits - you played the game that the stronger players wanted you to, and they occupied whatever in-character authority positions they wished. Harsh restart-at-minimum costs for losing a character caused people to be aggressively competitive but weirdly squeamish about inflicting permanent death on other people's characters, thus lots of posturing without much action.

So PvE was artificially stifled, PvP was excessively cautious outside of the national conventions that were mostly excuses for characters who had been trash-talking each other over email group chats to ambush and murder each other. And all of the above created an extremely toxic environment of cliques, rivalries, and feuds, where arranging out-of-character accusations via the bureaucratic disciplinary system featured as prominently as actual conflicts between characters in game. GMs also had to run for re-election each year, meaning politics took precedence over gameplay and long-term story arcs were all but impossible.

All that aside, for positivity I had a few good moments in my time as a GM. My favorite was one game where the group of players chosen to go investigate some suspicious lawyers were inventing this incredibly intricate Oceans' Eleven-style plan where everyone got to use their special powers in a crucial way to infiltrate the building undetected, until one of them - a brand-new player at his first-ever session - simply asks why they can't just call and make an appointment. Total mic-drop silence from all the far-more-experienced players at missing the obvious.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2020-10-30 at 11:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Yikes! That sounds like NERO, but worse.

All that aside, for positivity I had a few good moments in my time as a GM. My favorite was one game where the group of players chosen to go investigate some suspicious lawyers were inventing this incredibly intricate Oceans' Eleven-style plan where everyone got to use their special powers in a crucial way to infiltrate the building undetected, until one of them - a brand-new player at his first-ever session - simply asks why they can't just call and make an appointment. Total mic-drop silence from all the far-more-experienced players at missing the obvious.
    Oh, I love that! Fresh eyes are the best thing that can happen to a playerbase.
    Last edited by Kickaha; 2020-10-31 at 02:03 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

This is my nirvana.
    Not gonna lie, it's the greatest thing to happen to our game. We've got a dedicated building for the NPCs to store props, weapons, and equipment without having to pack it carefully in people's cars, and we can custom build the town the way we want it. Unfortunately, we do have to make some compromises on buildings in order to avoid running afoul of the local zoning restrictions. They're built and classified as "temporary structures," meaning they have no foundation and a tarp roof, with no utility connections, but hey, it's a small price to pay for a private larp camp!

I love when this happens! Reminds me of a good story at the finale of a previous campaign we did. Our players were stuck in a dungeon temple with different rooms with a variety of obstacles. Some of them were deadly combats, some of them were difficult puzzles, and a few were heartbreaking roleplay encounters. It was the epic finale after all, it was supposed to be hard. Well, one room had one of the keys they were searching for, as well as a big moose statue. After a half day of grueling challenges, this one was pretty easy - just grab the key and leave. The players of course spent a good long while inspecting it for traps and planning contingencies and battle strategies for when it inevitably went wrong, but then a new-ish player just grabbed the key and ran!

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

I larp in the UK, though with covid there haven’t been many games this year. My main game prior to that has been Empire, which is a fest game of about 2000 players running 4 times a year. I’ve had a lot of fun with it in the past, though am sort of drifting away: nowadays I’m finding myself much preferring one off games, where you have less worry about long term prospects for your characters so can really throw yourself into the situation. Risk is fun, losing a long established character and having to start from scratch is not.

I’m also increasingly enjoying crewing and running games, as it means I can take a break and chat with people OOC! One of my favourite games recently actually had scheduled breaks to encourage us to rest a bit between the ridiculous drama that was going on around us. That was the game where I realised my favoured archetype is very bardic; someone who knows how the story should go, and will do what they can to support that, whether it means being the hero or the villain.

We’re also very envious in the UK of places able to have a permanent larp site and buildings!
    Last edited by Avaris; 2020-11-01 at 04:44 AM.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

The only LARP I really go for is the Heroes of Altamira LARP at Origins every 4 years (1st edition 7th Sea) where I play my Vendel Swordswoman Annie Sigurd.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    I larp in the UK, though with covid there haven’t been many games this year. My main game prior to that has been Empire, which is a fest game of about 2000 players running 4 times a year. I’ve had a lot of fun with it in the past, though am sort of drifting away: nowadays I’m finding myself much preferring one off games, where you have less worry about long term prospects for your characters so can really throw yourself into the situation. Risk is fun, losing a long established character and having to start from scratch is not.

I’m also increasingly enjoying crewing and running games, as it means I can take a break and chat with people OOC! One of my favourite games recently actually had scheduled breaks to encourage us to rest a bit between the ridiculous drama that was going on around us. That was the game where I realised my favoured archetype is very bardic; someone who knows how the story should go, and will do what they can to support that, whether it means being the hero or the villain.

We’re also very envious in the UK of places able to have a permanent larp site and buildings!
    2000 players sounds both amazing and exhausting. (I realize there are bigger larps, but still: wow.)

And scheduled breaks is a great idea for NPCs, especially when they're bouncing around between roles.

Maybe the lure of a permanent site is just a fixture in our collective subconscious as larpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    The only LARP I really go for is the Heroes of Altamira LARP at Origins every 4 years (1st edition 7th Sea) where I play my Vendel Swordswoman Annie Sigurd.
    That sounds fun! 7th sea is a cool setting.
    Last edited by Kickaha; 2020-11-02 at 07:26 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Another Empire player here.
    Finished running our 28 days later meets the matrix game a few years ago where we were lucky enough to find some brilliant sites around the country.
    As I get old and grumpy I'm definitely finding myself moving away from systems with long rules and hundreds of skills. One of the best games I went to was based on the Firefly series and as far as I recall didn't have a single rule.

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

2000 players sounds both amazing and exhausting. (I realize there are bigger larps, but still: wow.)
    It’s certainly a very different style of game! There are really lots of different games and stories taking place, which occasionally overlap. For example, I’m a big presence in the religion game, but would be unknown in other spaces. There’s no such thing as someone everyone knows (except perhaps the Empress, but that character has now been retired, so we’re currently electing a new one).

And scheduled breaks is a great idea for NPCs, especially when they're bouncing around between roles.
    Not just for NPCs! Players too: the idea is for time where the game team say ‘there is no plot running now, it is safe to have a break if you want.’ Some people will stay IC, but it gives people a prompt to look at self care.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

14. - Top - End - #14

With our game, NPCs are pretty much on break whenever they're not out in the field doing something. That makes sense to me, a lot of what they're doing is setting up adventures, or tearing them down, reorganzinging props, basically doing a bunch of stage crew work behind the scenes. They don't have characters to be in during those times.

Though honestly, as a player, it's more fun for me to take a break in-character, roleplaying getting water and relaxing by the fire. That downtime is where I find the best bits of roleplay, where you can really make the character feel alive and like a real person, instead of just a set of skills and points. I don't know why, but I just feel weird talking about real-world stuff while dressed as a fantasy character. It breaks the illusion too much for me.

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

Yeah, I've always had a dislike for games with any sort of out of character break. In the empire game mentioned above there are so many players that in order to get big battles you have to split the player campus in half. If you go and fight as your character in one then you have to go and be an orc/monster in the other.
    It's totally logical and works well, but losing a whole morning with the fall out getting kitted up twice had kind of pushed me away from getting involved in the fights.
    The best games I can remember have been time in for 24 hours straight, with a chance to catch up socially before or after.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been playing in an oWoD mixing-pot LARP for about 5 years now. Since there has never been a reset (and some players have been playing a lot longer), there can be a drastic power difference between PCs. Thankfully, the ST is good about including challenges for all the power levels. It also helps that we are all friends outside of the LARP and are experienced enough not to let IC leak into OOC.

aside from the hurdle of reducing a dice-based skill system into a rock-paper-scissors challenge.
    I really don't like the rock-paper-scissors system. I feel like it negates the work I have put into building my character, if there is always a 33% chance of failure. (I know "rerolls" are possible, but it breaks the character concept if a PC who would be rolling 7+ dice in tabletop just fails on something that should be easy for them.)

The benefits for continued membership, flat rate of character advancement and requirements for approvals on 'rare' qualities meant longer-standing members had permanently stronger characters than new recruits - you played the game that the stronger players wanted you to, and they occupied whatever in-character authority positions they wished.
    I ran into this problem about 8 years ago. (It was right before a reset.) I'd only been playing for about 2 years and in another location. (I played for 1 year, then the city lost all of it's games. I joined an official IRC VtR game, but it was poorly run and I only stayed a few months. About 2 years later, 1 game - nWoD Werewolf - restarted in my home city.) When my wife and I moved, we went to a city where every official game had been running for about a decade.

It was a nightmare. The Requiem and Lost games was OK, but it was hard to break into plot in Requiem because everything was established. I lasted 1 game at Sabbat because I didn't know oWoD much at all, there was literally nothing I could do and was getting yelled when I tried at because my PC had no power. (To the credit of some of the players, they did try to step when when they realized what was happening. By that point, though, the damage was done.) The worst was the Awakening game. My PC had 3 dots in his highest Sphere, with 0-2 in the rest. Every other PC had at least 5 dots in multiple Spheres, and some had 7+ in a Sphere or 2. Since the ST had designed the game with the high-power PCs in mind, there was nothing for the small number of us who couldn't run in that league. The players made the effort to get us weaklings into RP things - which helped - but when combat happened, we had to sit and wait.

My favorite was one game where the group of players chosen to go investigate some suspicious lawyers were inventing this incredibly intricate Oceans' Eleven-style plan where everyone got to use their special powers in a crucial way to infiltrate the building undetected, until one of them - a brand-new player at his first-ever session - simply asks why they can't just call and make an appointment. Total mic-drop silence from all the far-more-experienced players at missing the obvious.
    I love it!!!!
    Last edited by Kesnit; 2020-11-03 at 11:38 AM.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Alright, new question: what's the most amazing or ridiculous story you have from a larp? It can be out of game or in character.

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

Playing in an old airforce base. Late at night we send out the corporate representative and his two super soldier bodyguards. Just as they get to the main square the whole scene is illuminated by a police helicopter that had been tipped off that we were holding an illegal rave.
    Fortunately I was elsewhere on site explaining to a police officer what was going on so everything went smoothly and we still have players convinced we paid for the helicopter.

Smaller scale was a friend hiding in some woodland late at night when a Badger decided to walk right over his chest.

19. - Top - End - #19

The last few months of one of our campaigns was an epic send-off of the world, in which the players were ultimately responsible for the destruction of civilization and ushering in a new era. Out of game, the lore had become a jumbled mess and we were planning to scrap the current setting and start over anyway. We just didn't realize to what extent that was going to be.

As a player, let me tell you that the moment we realized we had been set up to be the villains the whole time was one of sheer horror. Like, when we realized that we were going to be the ones responsible for killing the gods, slaying the last dragons, and destroying the world as we knew it, we all kinda had to sit down. For the whole duration of the campaign, we were always the good guys. We helped those in need, and always tried to stay on the good side of the alignment spectrum. So when we realized that the only way left to save the world was to destroy it, it was a heavy moment. From our perspective, we were still doing the right thing to avoid truly horrible things from happening, but from the rest of the world's perspective, we were a group of powerful traitors out to destroy the world. We were the villains in basically every story out there, and having that revelation was a really great moment.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aliess View Post
    we still have players convinced we paid for the helicopter.
    Anything you can play off to make you as the organizer look good is a good thing.
    Did the police actually understand, or were they more like, 'well, they're weird, but it's not a rave and they're allowed to be here, so it's not our problem'?

The last few months of one of our campaigns was an epic send-off of the world, in which the players were ultimately responsible for the destruction of civilization and ushering in a new era. Out of game, the lore had become a jumbled mess and we were planning to scrap the current setting and start over anyway. We just didn't realize to what extent that was going to be.

As a player, let me tell you that the moment we realized we had been set up to be the villains the whole time was one of sheer horror. Like, when we realized that we were going to be the ones responsible for killing the gods, slaying the last dragons, and destroying the world as we knew it, we all kinda had to sit down. For the whole duration of the campaign, we were always the good guys. We helped those in need, and always tried to stay on the good side of the alignment spectrum. So when we realized that the only way left to save the world was to destroy it, it was a heavy moment. From our perspective, we were still doing the right thing to avoid truly horrible things from happening, but from the rest of the world's perspective, we were a group of powerful traitors out to destroy the world. We were the villains in basically every story out there, and having that revelation was a really great moment.
    Whoa. Heavy. That sure sounds like a great backdrop for the last few sessions.

21. - Top - End - #21

MindFlayer

Did the police actually understand, or were they more like, 'well, they're weird, but it's not a rave and they're allowed to be here, so it's not our problem'?
    They were used to overnight Airsoft events, so once they saw the guns and lack of loud music then they were happy and I wasn't going to try and explain the difference between Airsoft and LARP at one on the morning unless I had to :)

22. - Top - End - #22

Playing in an old airforce base. Late at night we send out the corporate representative and his two super soldier bodyguards. Just as they get to the main square the whole scene is illuminated by a police helicopter that had been tipped off that we were holding an illegal rave.
    Fortunately I was elsewhere on site explaining to a police officer what was going on so everything went smoothly and we still have players convinced we paid for the helicopter.
    This reminds of a story someone I know went through at a different game. Basically, there was an attempted burglary nearby in the middle of the night and the armed suspect fled, so the police were doing a search of the woods that the game was running in. This was a modern larp with people running around with nerf guns in the dark, so when police were questioning the staff, they had to be extremely careful with rounding up all of the players and getting them to safety without tipping off the suspect or getting accidentally taken down by the police.

It turned out that the suspect had gone a different direction, and was eventually caught, so everything worked out in the end. It wasn't quite the same effect as having a whole helicopter show up right on time, but they said it did make for an interesting evacuate-the-town stealth "adventure."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

I wasn't going to try and explain the difference between Airsoft and LARP at one on the morning unless I had to :)
    Fair.

This reminds of a story someone I know went through at a different game. Basically, there was an attempted burglary nearby in the middle of the night and the armed suspect fled, so the police were doing a search of the woods that the game was running in. This was a modern larp with people running around with nerf guns in the dark, so when police were questioning the staff, they had to be extremely careful with rounding up all of the players and getting them to safety without tipping off the suspect or getting accidentally taken down by the police.

It turned out that the suspect had gone a different direction, and was eventually caught, so everything worked out in the end. It wasn't quite the same effect as having a whole helicopter show up right on time, but they said it did make for an interesting evacuate-the-town stealth "adventure."
    YIKES.

I've actually seen it advised to inform police before an event to avoid some of the more worrisome interactions. Probably not a bad idea generally speaking.
    Last edited by Kickaha; 2020-11-09 at 05:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

I've actually seen it advised to inform police before an event to avoid some of the more worrisome interactions. Probably not a bad idea generally speaking.
    Definitely agreed there, especially if it's in an unusual spot where the general public might notice!

25. - Top - End - #25

The first rule of LARPing - don't freak out the normals.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

The first rule of LARPing - don't freak out the normals.
    The second rule being 'Always wash NPC costuming between events'.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A bit late to the party but back in the early 00's we were running a Vampire LARP campaign and one of our players were waiting to ambush a rival at night, wearing sunglasses and a black trenchcoat because early 00's, and carrying an airsoft gun. Some old lady called the cops and a police cruiser pulled up at high speed, cops jumped out ordering him to drop his weapon at gunpoint

Another police story, some people in my country were running Mafia LARPs in their hometown and had family/connections in the police, and somehow managed to convince their police acquaintances to pick up some of their in-game rivals. So some poor roleplayer schmucks in fedoras were trying to take down a speakeasy (which was basically replacing one sticker with another IIRC) and suddenly they were picked up by uniformed cops and no amount of "we're just playing a game" worked. The people "arrested" were by all accounts pissing themselves until they were taken to the in-game jail rather than the actual police station

28. - Top - End - #28

There was another time when I was GMing a session, hosted in our usual game space on the second floor of a student community center of sorts. We had the whole second floor, but people occasionally went up the stairs to the third. I had to break up an (IC and thankfully clothed) lap dance, because it was being performed where someone coming up the stairs might see it. Reference Rule 1, above.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

The rules were really the least of the issues - aside from the hurdle of reducing a dice-based skill system into a rock-paper-scissors challenge. It was more the structure of how the club was built. As a national organization, every game had to be running on the same ruleset to the point where you could travel across the country and show up at another Storyteller/GM's local game with 24-hour notice, which meant a fairly complex bureaucracy to navigate. That same interplayability made it almost impossible to write anything resembling interesting storylines, because in theory whatever happened in your town/city would affect other games in other towns and thus required approval from higher-level authorities. And on the flip side, you couldn't create any sort of challenging obstacles because you never knew when a max-level character would roll in for a visit and crush everything intended for your weaker local players. The benefits for continued membership, flat rate of character advancement and requirements for approvals on 'rare' qualities meant longer-standing members had permanently stronger characters than new recruits - you played the game that the stronger players wanted you to, and they occupied whatever in-character authority positions they wished. Harsh restart-at-minimum costs for losing a character caused people to be aggressively competitive but weirdly squeamish about inflicting permanent death on other people's characters, thus lots of posturing without much action.

So PvE was artificially stifled, PvP was excessively cautious outside of the national conventions that were mostly excuses for characters who had been trash-talking each other over email group chats to ambush and murder each other. And all of the above created an extremely toxic environment of cliques, rivalries, and feuds, where arranging out-of-character accusations via the bureaucratic disciplinary system featured as prominently as actual conflicts between characters in game. GMs also had to run for re-election each year, meaning politics took precedence over gameplay and long-term story arcs were all but impossible.

I'm gonna be sorry if it's stereotyping, I've only played the video game Vampire the mascarade, but did the playerbase of those larp recreated the VTM ambiance in their OOC by having the olders players hug all the power and patronise the new ones, and being generaly as toxic as the vampires from this universe ? Because if so, it's truly impressive, in a sad way. But I've heard that those larp often attract the wrong crowd.

It remind me of a 40K Larp focused on the bureaucracy of the administratum making mistake being a utter faillure because the organisation between the logistics, scenari, and PNJ was itself very crappy and untested.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright, new question: what's the most amazing or ridiculous story you have from a larp? It can be out of game or in character.
    One time I was too sneaky for my own good.

I played a non sneaky git. Warrior with full armor and a zweihander bigger than me. But people were highly distrustful of me, because, well... drow. or rather, dumner, as the hair was not white. I became a bit paranoid and evasive, a good thing as there were some attempts on me.

In a evening I was cornered between two group of hostile players,(one that sat on the only way out of the zone) but had maximum sneakyness engaged and a bit of vegetation to cover my shape.
    By that I mean that I was laying on bramble and nettle with minimum discomfort(effective armor, yay!) inside a bush, just in the outskirts of the treeline next to the 2 groups on the grass.

I was spying what was going on in the two groups when I saw two leaving the group and go in my direction. Thought they found me, then that they wanted some privacy to relieve themselves in peace.
    They got closer, but were still together.
    Strange.
    there was a short moment of me being unable to process what was going on until it dawned on me that a couple decided to have fun just next to me.
    By the time I understood what's going on it would have been too awkward for the 3 of us to call them out now.
    So I waited.
    That was quite long.
    And way too close.

I still hear the belt buckle ringing...