New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Mandela Effect - OOTS changes in script

Every now and then, rereading the archive, I could swear I read a different sentence, years ago, that now stands slightly different.

For instance, in #831, first two panels, Redcloak says "I'm sorry it had to end like this". "But at least, you brought your handiwork with you".

Now, I could do like Mutius Scaevola and put my hand in the fire to swear that a long time ago it read "At least it spared me the need to do it myself", or something to that effect.

That sentence makes much more sense with the one preceding it --- it HAD to end like this --- , emphasis mine, and also makes sense with Redcloak's character at the time (and still now...): willing to sacrifice a goblin for the perceived greater good of all goblinkind, as he couldn't leave him alive and run the implied risk of Xykon finding out that there was another phylactery, which would have led him to the copy.

Now, of course it might just be my memory playing games on me, but I chose specifically a situation in which
    1) I can't see myself imagining such an action by Redcloak at the time
    2) Fits perfectly with his characterization
    3) The current sentence, "But at least you brought your handiwork with you", seems quite weird in that context.

There have been other instances. For example, I remember reading, in number #31, Vaarsuvius incensed about the mind flayer ignoring him '... a delectable 17 intelligence right before you!" and thinking "wait, so Roy is 18? Kinda high for a fighter".

Other instances in my mind: 'Try gingko bilboa", to Blackwing, instead of "gingko biloba". Other mispellings to that effect.

I'm here, and I don't know if I -am- remembering correctly, and the strips have just been altered (even though the giant said he wasn't going to go back and fix previous strips), which I could see for mispellings, OR my mind is simply playing games with me.

Am I the only one?
    Last edited by Dellis; 2020-10-30 at 11:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Mandela Effect - OOTS changes in script

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis View Post
    Every now and then, rereading the archive, I could swear I read a different sentence, years ago, that now stands slightly different.

For instance, in #831, first two panels, Redcloak says "I'm sorry it had to end like this". "But at least, you brought your handiwork with you".

Now, I could do like Mutius Scaevola and put my hand in the fire to swear that a long time ago it read "At least it spared me the need to do it myself", or something to that effect.
    I believe you're thinking of this scene:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html

"I just thank the Dark One that I didn't need to execute you myself".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

Yea, this is probably the source of the confusion. Though edits aren't impossible, removing such a line would be a little extreme, more than just adding a word or fixing a typo in an existing speech bubble. Also, since Redcloak has just said that a few strips earlier, him repeating the same thing would have been a little repetitive. By then, we already knew what he intended to do with loose ends.

Edit: Though re-reading this strip, I wonder why he couldn't let the infiltrator live? All he did was get the phylactery for Redcloak, and Redcloak having it wasn't a secret in any way. The smith I understand, since he knows about the fake, but the transmuted infiltrator? What'd he know that was too much?
    Last edited by Goblin_Priest; 2020-10-30 at 10:55 AM.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

4. - Top - End - #4

The point with V, Roy, the Illithid, and the 18 Int is that while V has 18 in Int they have crappy Cha and Wis; Roy has only a moderately high Int, but decent Wis and Cha too.

(Incidentally, which of Roy's stats are bad? He's got great Str and Con, decent mental stats, and we have no reason to think his Dex is bad, just nothing special. Roy has an amazingly high stat line!)
    Last edited by Babale; 2020-10-30 at 11:06 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Babale View Post
    The point with V, Roy, the Illithid, and the 18 Int is that while V has 18 in Int they have crappy Cha and Wis; Roy has only a moderately high Int, but decent Wis and Cha too.

(Incidentally, which of Roy's stats are bad? He's got great Str and Con, decent mental stats, and we have no reason to think his Dex is bad, just nothing special. Roy has an amazingly high stat line!)
    Roy probably has the same stat array that my modded Pathfinder: Kingmaker hero had. Just a tad under perfection, just to say it isn't perfection. :P

Probably a bunch of 16s and 14s. Without looking at any of the geekery threads to remember his feats or anything like that, I'd probably say:

Between
    Str: 15 Dex: 13 Con: 14 Int: 12 Wis: 11 Cha: 11
    and
    Str: 17 Dex: 15 Con: 17 Int: 16 Wis: 16 Cha: 15
    Last edited by Goblin_Priest; 2020-10-30 at 11:34 AM.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

6. - Top - End - #6

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post

I now feel a bit stupid.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

It's easy to misremember - I've done that a few times now and again.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Edit: Though re-reading this strip, I wonder why he couldn't let the infiltrator live? All he did was get the phylactery for Redcloak, and Redcloak having it wasn't a secret in any way. The smith I understand, since he knows about the fake, but the transmuted infiltrator? What'd he know that was too much?
    I think what he knew is that Redcloak had refrained from wiping out the resistance despite knowing where their secret headquarters was because he was waiting for them to steal the phylactery so that he could take it back from them (with a summoned force that he could then dismiss and forget about) and thus have some alone time with it to do the switcheroo (while also scoring some extra points with Xykon to avoid suspicion).
    Last edited by hroşila; 2020-10-30 at 11:40 AM.
    ungelic is us

9. - Top - End - #9

This is reminding me about how Andrew Hussie edited in pictures of Snoop Dogg to old updates just to mess with Homestuck fans.

Or at least, that's what people think happened, they might have always been there.

Normally I'd avoid derailing the topic but the issue has been answered and it's a somewhat relevant funny thing that (maybe) happened.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    I think what he knew is that Redcloak had refrained from wiping out the resistance despite knowing where their secret headquarters was because he was waiting for them to steal the phylactery so that he could take it back from them (with a summoned force that he could then dismiss and forget about) and thus have some alone time with it to do the switcheroo (while also scoring some extra points with Xykon to avoid suspicion).
    Hmm, that "waiting for the phylactery" bit actually makes a good bit of sense. I'd always just assumed Redcloak was being (justifiably) paranoid about what information he shared with Xykon. "Need-to-know basis" and all that.

This is another, more complex wrinkle and I love it!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    This is another, more complex wrinkle and I love it!
    I as well!

Thanks for the insights hroşila.

12. - Top - End - #12

Devil

Ginkgo bilboa is still there in the comic. Or you want to say that you remember it being written right?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Other instances in my mind: 'Try gingko bilboa", to Blackwing, instead of "gingko biloba". Other mispellings to that effect.
    I seem to remember someone pointing out that both plants are real and that part of the joke is that you think he's asking about something to improve V's memory (of him in particular), but he's actually asking for something to help with... um, male intimacy.

EDIT: I stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by Babale View Post
    I always thought the visual metaphors for V and Roy should have been reversed. The whole turkey has more meat (Int alone), but the cheeseburger has a more appealing combination of flavors (good scores in all three mental stats).
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2020-10-31 at 11:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I now feel a bit stupid.
    I don't think there's any need to feel stupid. Especially since it's quite possible that Redcloak would have ended up killing the goldsmith to keep things under wraps as well.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I seem to remember someone pointing out that both plants are real and that part of the joke is that you think he's asking about something to improve V's memory (of him in particular), but he's actually asking for something to help with... um, male intimacy.

I always thought the visual metaphors for V and Roy should have been reversed. The whole turkey has more meat (Int alone), but the cheeseburger has a more appealing combination of flavors (good scores in all three mental stats).
    Nutrient-poor foods rich in a single "goody" element (typically carbs) are generally described as fast food/junk. Burgers are generally described as fast food/junk food. Burgers tend to be really caloric, overly so for more weight-conscious people.

But yea I could see it working either way.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Even before looking up I find it's highly unlikely that botanists would assign two so similar names to different species in the same genus, but it's easy to look up anyway. Biloba is the only extant specimen of the genus Ginkgo, and all others has disappeared from the fossil record millions of years ago so there is no possibility that ancient humans knew some other species that are extinct now.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Ginkgo bilboa is still there in the comic. Or you want to say that you remember it being written right?
    I'm guessing the OP looked at the print or PDF version. A number of trifling art and spelling errors were corrected for print.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

18. - Top - End - #18
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Even before looking up I find it's highly unlikely that botanists would assign two so similar names to different species in the same genus, but it's easy to look up anyway. Biloba is the only extant specimen of the genus Ginkgo, and all others has disappeared from the fossil record millions of years ago so there is no possibility that ancient humans knew some other species that are extinct now.
    Huh. Not sure where that other thing came from. When I couldn't find it, I just kind of assumed my browser was being overzealous with the autocorrect, but yeah, good chance that wherever I read that basically made it up to begin with. :shrug:

But, while it might not be the case here, I do find confusingly similar names to be more plausible than you seem to, but without hard numbers that's just a subjective impression.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueKnightGuy

If Xykon knew about the spy, he'd be asking Redcloak why he wasn't informed about the resistance base earlier so they could've been wiped out before they had a chance to steal the phylactery. (Redcloak kept it a secret because he planned the whole thing giving him a chance to make the swap, otherwise some random hobgoblin could've given the phylactery straight to Xykon).

20. - Top - End - #20

Flumph

Only thing Xykon care about is finding his phylactery and leave that place soon as possible, and he wasn't even there till Jirx called him back. Honestly it seems pretty pointless to kill the spy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I thought for a long time that the title of Book 2 was "No Cure for Paladin Blues." Then Peelee pointed out to me that it's actually "No Cure for the Paladin Blues."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I take it you don't know the original reference, then?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It's 'ginkgo bilboa' in the online version and 'ginkgo biloba' in the book version.

But I can remember at least one occasion when a misspelling in the strip was corrected online: 'in media res' was changed to 'in medias res' in #551 after someone in the comic's discussion thread pointed out the mistake. I only remember because it was the first time I'd encountered the phrase.

24. - Top - End - #24

I know I've definitely forgotten or misremembered a few OOTS details before. It's been a while since my last thorough re-read and so I can't recollect a specific one at the moment, but it's definitely happened.

One OOTS-specific example of the Mandela effect I've observed in other people is the notion of a "goblin prophecy" -- that there was some kind of prediction made about a goblin in a red cloak destroying Azure City, which had been known to the Sapphire Guard and was a factor in their motive for attacking goblin villages. I've seen at least three people make reference to this supposed prophecy as a definitively established thing, which it is NOT. It's not an outlandish idea, but if it is true it's never actually been revealed in the plot thus far. It just seems to arise from a conflation of Durkon's circumstances with Redcloak's.

Another weird thing is that when I mention that multiple people have cited this nonexistent prophecy, I often get pushback from other posters who say they have never seen anybody mention it before. So with that in mind... I'll cite a few of the people I've seen making the assertion. I'm not trying to call out or belittle anyone I quote, I just want to prove that it's come up multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yes indeed, and as GDGU illustrates, somewhat, the SG were off dealing with a no-kidding prophecy about how the red cloak would be their doom / end (see previous part of this post on prophecy often going in strange directions)
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Even the Sapphire Guard didn't bother to find out much about them and they had the most reason to out of everyone related to the order of the scribble given that there was some prophecy about a goblin with a red cloak destroying Azure City or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    Just a nitpick here. The Saphire Guard didn't embark on near-genocide simply because Goblins are Evil. After all, the attack we see in SoD is hundreds of miles away from Azure City, so you'd think they'd need more of an incentive than that.

And indeed they have one. It's in the form of some prophecy to the effect that a goblin wearing a crimsom cloak will be instrumental in destroying their gate. Attempting to prevent this, they hunt down every goblin they can find who wears such an item.
    Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    When I saw the prophecy in Order of the stick, it is similar to prophecy telling sequence in Greek Epic.
    E.G- Sapphire Guards attack red cloak's village because they fear that crimson mantled goblin is going to destroy Azure city, according to the prophecy. Result- Their city was captured by the same goblin in mantle cloak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The paladins didn't understand the significance of the cloak itself. As I recall, they got a prophecy at some point that a goblin in a red cloak would bring ruin to their gate, specifically.
    So scratch "at least three" -- it's at least FIVE people I've seen cite a supposed prophecy on this forum alone. It really IS a Mandela effect kind of situation for so many people to come up with the same specific yet wrong memory. I wonder what others there might be? Have I fallen for any of them myself?

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    I know I've definitely forgotten or misremembered a few OOTS details before. It's been a while since my last thorough re-read and so I can't recollect a specific one at the moment, but it's definitely happened.

One OOTS-specific example of the Mandela effect I've observed in other people is the notion of a "goblin prophecy" -- that there was some kind of prediction made about a goblin in a red cloak destroying Azure City, which had been known to the Sapphire Guard and was a factor in their motive for attacking goblin villages. I've seen at least three people make reference to this supposed prophecy as a definitively established thing, which it is NOT. It's not an outlandish idea, but if it is true it's never actually been revealed in the plot thus far. It just seems to arise from a conflation of Durkon's circumstances with Redcloak's.

Another weird thing is that when I mention that multiple people have cited this nonexistent prophecy, I often get pushback from other posters who say they have never seen anybody mention it before. So with that in mind... I'll cite a few of the people I've seen making the assertion. I'm not trying to call out or belittle anyone I quote, I just want to prove that it's come up multiple times.

So scratch "at least three" -- it's at least FIVE people I've seen cite a supposed prophecy on this forum alone. It really IS a Mandela effect kind of situation for so many people to come up with the same specific yet wrong memory. I wonder what others there might be? Have I fallen for any of them myself?
    I believe there's a passage somewhere about the paladins being after the crimson mantle, not realizing the crimson mantle itself was the problematic artifact, and thinking they only needed to defeat its bearer. I don't recall where this is spelled out, though.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah, I think it's what Goblin Priest is saying - there's a comment about what the Sapphire Guard (and non-goblins in general) do and do not know about the Crimson Mantle that's mutated into there being an outright prophecy. Took me a moment, but I found it.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

I believe there's a passage somewhere about the paladins being after the crimson mantle, not realizing the crimson mantle itself was the problematic artifact, and thinking they only needed to defeat its bearer. I don't recall where this is spelled out, though.
    This is in Good Deeds Gone Unpunished, page 117.

I imagine people are coming up with the prophecy explanation because it's the obvious explanation for how they came to know about a red-cloaked goblin cleric before Redcloak was even a threat. The fact that the Azurites are known to use scrying and divine magic to track the mantle, and have a fortune teller (Sangwaan) makes it seem more consistent, too.

Come to think of it, I don't really remember how the Sapphire Guard came to know about the Crimson Mantle myself. Has that been revealed?
    Last edited by Potatopeelerkin; 2020-11-03 at 06:04 AM.
    My bubble cannot be burst. It is impervious to physical damage.

Bugbear cleric avatar by me.

28. - Top - End - #28

Lizardfolk

Recently I looked through the bonus/guest strips again, and I remembered Elans line as 'Aaah! The horrible stabbing pain of being stabbed!' while in reality the line is 'The blinding, stabbing pain of being stabbed!'. I think my memory's version of the line is punchier.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potatopeelerkin View Post
    Come to think of it, I don't really remember how the Sapphire Guard came to know about the Crimson Mantle myself. Has that been revealed?
    I don't think so, but I don't think any particular explanation is needed either. At some point, the Sapphire Guard clashed with (and in fact killed) a previous bearer of the Crimson Mantle. The bearer had followers, and they presumably worked as an organization, with the bearer clearly on top. This would have become obvious to the Sapphire Guard during their campaign.
    ungelic is us

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Since people have already covered your specific examples... There have been a few edits from web to print that I've noticed, usually typos and such, but I think there's a strip in the first book where a line in the final panel was slightly modified. (I think it's #16, looking at the web version, but I haven't checked my book.)

Loose ends are loose ends.

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whitehelm View Post
    If Xykon knew about the spy, he'd be asking Redcloak why he wasn't informed about the resistance base earlier so they could've been wiped out before they had a chance to steal the phylactery. (Redcloak kept it a secret because he planned the whole thing giving him a chance to make the swap, otherwise some random hobgoblin could've given the phylactery straight to Xykon).
    Yeah, that's probably the specific answer. In any case, Redcloak is not taking any chances with anyone who knew anything about his plan. "Stupid risks are just that. Stupid."

EDIT: Wow, no posts in nine hours. Anyway, it is that strip-- in the online version of #16 Roy says "which is kinda cool" and Durkon replies "a lich is binding ghouls?" In the PDF, Roy says "which is cool" and Durkon says "a lich's ghoul?"
    Last edited by Ruck; 2020-11-03 at 03:33 PM.