New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mandela Effect - OOTS changes in script

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I take it you don't know the original reference, then?
    That's correct, I wasn't familiar with that song.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    That's correct, I wasn't familiar with that song.
    Seeing as it came out 62 years ago, we'll let you off :b

3. - Top - End - #33

Flumph

I never heard of that song either.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Potatopeelerkin View Post
    This is in Good Deeds Gone Unpunished, page 117.

I imagine people are coming up with the prophecy explanation because it's the obvious explanation for how they came to know about a red-cloaked goblin cleric before Redcloak was even a threat. The fact that the Azurites are known to use scrying and divine magic to track the mantle, and have a fortune teller (Sangwaan) makes it seem more consistent, too.

Come to think of it, I don't really remember how the Sapphire Guard came to know about the Crimson Mantle myself. Has that been revealed?
    Yup, exactly what I was thinking of.

And I'm not sure that information was ever revealed.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

For V's int score, which I referred to in one of the examples, I'm aware of the fact that the Flayer likes Roy better because he's got a nicer spread, but I also remember V saying he had a "delectable 17 INT" and wondering why the author hadn't given him the max score for a wizard.

Now in that line I read 18 INT, and this is another one of my little misrememberings I'm so convinced of I could put a hand into fire to swear they were like that.

But I've been proven wrong in at least one occasion, and the hand still stings, so on reflection perhaps maybe not :p

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Ginkgo bilboa is still there in the comic. Or you want to say that you remember it being written right?
    No, I remember it being written wrong once upon a time, then it being written right.

Which, since my mind and eyes are perfect and can never be wrong in any circumstance whatsoever, and this is totally not me being sarcastic about myself, and now it is written wrong, must mean:

Son of a brunch, it CHANGED BACK!
    Last edited by Dellis; 2020-11-06 at 05:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis View Post
    For V's int score, which I referred to in one of the examples, I'm aware of the fact that the Flayer likes Roy better because he's got a nicer spread, but I also remember V saying he had a "delectable 17 INT" and wondering why the author hadn't given him the max score for a wizard.

Now in that line I read 18 INT, and this is another one of my little misrememberings I'm so convinced of I could put a hand into fire to swear they were like that.
    We have reason to believe it was 18 as early as January 2005, at least:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Shadow View Post
    From the illithid strips, we also know for a fact that V has "a delectable 18 Intelligence".
    It's possible that The Giant changed it from 17 to 18, but that would surprise me a little.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-11-07 at 10:48 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #37

But I've been proven wrong in at least one occasion, and the hand still stings, so on reflection perhaps maybe not :p

No, I remember it being written wrong once upon a time, then it being written right.

Which, since my mind and eyes are perfect and can never be wrong in any circumstance whatsoever, and this is totally not me being sarcastic about myself, and now it is written wrong, must mean:

Son of a brunch, it CHANGED BACK!
    It's possible it was immediately corrected. I do believe Rich fixes typoes when spotted.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Interestingly enough a "17" is mentioned a view comics later in #0038. And some ancient scholars used that as basis for Roy's strength score. (Same thread as hamishspence quoted.)
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

amused Re: Mandela Effect - OOTS changes in script

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    Interestingly enough a "17" is mentioned a view comics later in #0038. And some ancient scholars used that as basis for Roy's strength score. (Same thread as hamishspence quoted.)
    You mean it is probable that I simply conflated different instances of an ability score being mentioned, since I originally read them in relatively rapid sequence, and my mind fused them in the coming years?

That seems to be what happened at least in the hob smith/gob in disguise situation.

That's an interesting insight on the Mandela effect. People might not be remembering things wrong, at least not simply: they're confusing (in the original sense of the word) different instances of events due to their similarity.

There must be a psychological paper in this somewhere.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Yanisa View Post
    That's a weird thing to base it on, seeing as how multiple SRD poisons can knock you from 18 to 0 strength in one dose.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Recently I looked through the bonus/guest strips again, and I remembered Elans line as 'Aaah! The horrible stabbing pain of being stabbed!' while in reality the line is 'The blinding, stabbing pain of being stabbed!'. I think my memory's version of the line is punchier.
    Ah, but the real line is in iambic pentameter. You have to admire Elan's commitment to the drama.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    EDIT: Wow, no posts in nine hours. Anyway, it is that strip-- in the online version of #16 Roy says "which is kinda cool" and Durkon replies "a lich is binding ghouls?" In the PDF, Roy says "which is cool" and Durkon says "a lich's ghoul?"
    Huh, I think the web version works better with the "now you're stretching it" punchline, what with being longer and thus requiring more of a stretch. Unless it was changed because you don't "bind" ghouls so it doesn't make sense in DnD canon?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGriffin View Post
    Huh, I think the web version works better with the "now you're stretching it" punchline, what with being longer and thus requiring more of a stretch. Unless it was changed because you don't "bind" ghouls so it doesn't make sense in DnD canon?
    You know, I feel like this came up before and I could swear Rich said he thinks he prefers the original in hindsight, too, but I might just be imagining that because I also prefer it.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    That's a weird thing to base it on, seeing as how multiple SRD poisons can knock you from 18 to 0 strength in one dose.
    Lich Dust and Purple Worm Poison will do 3d6 strength damage over two saves (and a while minute). Dragon Bile will do 3d6 strength damage on a single save.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show