New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1218 - The Discussion Thread

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Deck_of_Many_Things

1d4chan claims it was in the original greyhawk setting.

My brother and I used to sometimes kick off campaigns by making level 10 characters and then drawing from the deck of many things.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

I mean, sure, intelligent items can and probably should be homebrewed for balance, but RAW, all you have to do is fail a will save (roll a nat 1 for example) and then the item owns you for a day.

One day is plenty of time to mess things up. And while a new roll may be forced along the way, it can by bypassed and successive rolls can also be failed. If Frodo had yelled out to his foes 5% of the time he tried to hide from them, he'd be done for and Sauron would have his ring back. And that's assuming a low EGO or a high will save.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Also a lot of the intelligent item abilities kinda... suck. Certainly not worth the extra GP cost most of the time, even if the item is 100% on board with what you're doing.

I mean some of the high-end ones are okay, but those are really expensive.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #454

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    1d4chan claims it was in the original Greyhawk setting.
    Yeah, Supplement 1. Also in every DM's Guide since.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ebarde View Post
    Now I do have an idea of a game centering around intelligent items each with a separate set of ideals, and then the party has to collect them all for whatever reason...

A friend of mine wanted to run a campaign like this, where two gods are making a bet for who can gather all the artifacts first, and the winner gets to give their champions the artifacts.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

6. - Top - End - #456

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    I mean, sure, intelligent items can and probably should be homebrewed for balance, but RAW, all you have to do is fail a will save (roll a nat 1 for example) and then the item owns you for a day.

One day is plenty of time to mess things up. And while a new roll may be forced along the way, it can by bypassed and successive rolls can also be failed. If Frodo had yelled out to his foes 5% of the time he tried to hide from them, he'd be done for and Sauron would have his ring back. And that's assuming a low EGO or a high will save.
    Frodo *was* tricked by the ring twice in the first book (from memory); once in the Prancing Pony and again in Weathertop. That is, one interpretation of the ambiguous way LOTR treats the Rings power. It could also be that Frodo was a massive prat.

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Frodo *was* tricked by the ring twice in the first book (from memory); once in the Prancing Pony and again in Weathertop. That is, one interpretation of the ambiguous way LOTR treats the Rings power. It could also be that Frodo was a massive prat.
    There are parallels, probably because LotR was such an inspiration to D&D. While there is some ambiguity in the phrasing, to me it looks like, if LotR was run in D&D rules, the ring could have done much worse. D&D magic items work with a dichotomous state of slave/master relation. There is no temptation, there is no influence. There is just total control, or the total lack thereof.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    if LotR was run in D&D rules
    This way lies madness. Don't go there. They are different franchises.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #459

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...Well that's a new one, I think.
    Thinking about it further, I've an impression that it happened when the intelligent sword was subject to an area effect that caused "insanity" per the old table, which included what was then referred to as "schizophrenia". It might have been psionic combat, for example; certain modes of that could have nasty fallout effects for bystanders.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    What are you talking about? Middle Earth and Faerun are both planets in the Star Wars galaxy, which makes them part of the same franchise - the Star Wars franchise.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-17 at 01:48 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Thinking about it further, I've an impression that it happened when the intelligent sword was subject to an area effect that caused "insanity" per the old table, which included what was then referred to as "schizophrenia". It might have been psionic combat, for example; certain modes of that could have nasty fallout effects for bystanders.
    I’ve heard about old psionics; some of the things are weird. And that it could be stupidly broken in early editions which is why there was a lot of backlash towards it in 3.Xe.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What are you talking about? Middle Earth and Faerun are both planets in the Star Wars galaxy, which makes them part of the same franchise - the Star Wars franchise.
    Pretty sure Middle Earth could be effectively run with the good ol' D6 system.

And Faerun and SW had practically the same system at some point.

I’ve heard about old psionics; some of the things are weird. And that it could be stupidly broken in early editions which is why there was a lot of backlash towards it in 3.Xe.
    And here i am missing the 3.5 psionics.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Both can be true.
    I'll buy Athas being in the Star Wars universe ... but Fearun and ME? That's a tougher sell.
    Yes. More details at the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Or in Chainmail, which was a 2d6 system.

But now I am thinking: Drzzt was a prospective Jedi who never got found, because Qui-Gon Jinn bit the dust during that duel in Phantom Menace.
    YoungNG Do'urden's midochlorian count was through the roof.
    Yeah, that's the ticket!
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-17 at 03:04 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

14. - Top - End - #464
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Many people have already seen this extended metaphor for 3.0 psionics but I should not waste an opportunity to inflict it on someone who may have missed it
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have used this model before, but to really appreciate how this "class feature" worked you should see how it would apply if ported to mainstream D&D where they haven't been conditioned to accept inferior mechanics without question. Lets take the big sacred moo, a Cleric's undead turning ability:

DM: "Before we get started, Cleric, I just want you to know that I am instituting some changes in your turn undead class feature that will make your class more different and give it a unique divine mechanic."

Player: "OK. How does it work now?"

DM: "Well, for starters, when you attempt to turn undead you will now have to burn a spell."

Player: "A spell???? What level?"

DM: "Different levels. It depends on what turning mode you want to use. Sanctified Gesture takes a level 1, Divine Dance of Power takes a level 2, High Holly Homina Homina takes a level 3, and...."

Player: "Wait, I assume I will get a bonus on the roll based on the level of spell slot I sacrifice?"

DM: "Sometimes you will. Other times you will get a penalty based on the turning defense mode the opponent selects. Turning and turning defense modes will interact on a table. The table determines the actual DC of the roll, not the level of the spell slot burned. Choosing a given defense mode may actually mean you pay a spell to get a penalty on the save, but it will still be better than being defenseless."

Player: "The undead will get defense modes?"

DM: "Sure, so will you. Each round you will select a turning attack mode and a defense mode. In fact, you will need to select a defense mode against each undead opponent each and every round and each will cost you spell slots."

Player: "Wwwwwwhat????!!!!!! What if I am facing undead who do not cast spells, I assume they won't get to mount a defense?"

DM: "It doesn't matter if you face undead without casting ability because their turning and turning defense modes are free."

Player: "Wait a minute! This is stupid! One of my 3rd level spell slots could be spent on Searing Light which fries undead; why would I ever spend it on an attack mode that might help me on a turning attempt? And why would I ever take a turning defense mode, much less a separate one vs. each undead opponent? I would simply choose to ignore undead or cast spells against them or go at them with weapons. I would have to have brain damage to choose to turn with these rules!"

DM: "If you fail to mount a defense then each unblocked undead gets a special +8 bonus to hit you for having this wonderful class feature and choosing not to use it. They also get to drain your stats if they hit. This will apply also to anyone who adds a level of Cleric; multiclassing will be very flavorful."

Player: "But I am a spellcaster, I need to be able to cast spells. How can I do my job if my spell slots get sucked away every time we run into undead?"

DM: "Well, how can you do your job if you are dead or reduced to a mindless state? You need to use your spells this way or you may not live long enough to cast them anyway."

Player: Head down, silently weeping into his hands.

DM: "I should mention too that you will be able to make turn undead attempts vs. nonundead; if you succeed they will be stunned for a few rounds. Of course, everyone who does not have this feature will get a huge bonus on the save DC. The best part: If you blow a 5th level spell to use High Holy Hokey Pokey then everyone in a large area could be stunned for a long while and they don't get a bonus vs. this one mode -- that makes the entire system usable and balanced."

Player: "They should all be stunned if they ever see me willingly use these rules. This is preposterous! I need my spells to heal and buff and perform all the functions of a Cleric. How am I going to be of any use to the party if I hemorrhage spell slots every time we run into undead?"

DM: "That is the beauty of it: You get to choose whether to use your spell slots as they were intended or save your own hide by using them to turn. Come on and at least give it a chance. It will be a mechanic unique to your class so it must be a benefit. You don't want to be just another spellcaster do you? This will add so much flavor and.... Hey! Get him off of me!"

Player: "How ya like that fist flavor?"

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

*Hissing noises*
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Sure.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Star wars is in our universe (just very far away) and the Shire eventually becomes England. QED.

I have no real idea about Faerun, but the Acq. Inc. special on Tomb of Annihilation suggests that it is possible to plane shift from Faerun to our Seattle, so take that for what it is.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mormon_soldier View Post
    Star wars is in our universe (just very far away) and the Shire eventually becomes England. QED.

I have no real idea about Faerun, but the Acq. Inc. special on Tomb of Annihilation suggests that it is possible to plane shift from Faerun to our Seattle, so take that for what it is.
    Plane Shift? I dunno, did that work between different Material Planes? I thought you needed spelljammers to get to other settings.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #468

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    The comparison stands to illustrate how the D&D rules for sentient items would fail short on what we'd otherwise expect of them.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show

19. - Top - End - #469

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Many people have already seen this extended metaphor for 3.0 psionics but I should not waste an opportunity to inflict it on someone who may have missed it
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have used this model before, but to really appreciate how this "class feature" worked you should see how it would apply if ported to mainstream D&D where they haven't been conditioned to accept inferior mechanics without question. Lets take the big sacred moo, a Cleric's undead turning ability:

DM: "Before we get started, Cleric, I just want you to know that I am instituting some changes in your turn undead class feature that will make your class more different and give it a unique divine mechanic."

Player: "OK. How does it work now?"

DM: "Well, for starters, when you attempt to turn undead you will now have to burn a spell."

Player: "A spell???? What level?"

DM: "Different levels. It depends on what turning mode you want to use. Sanctified Gesture takes a level 1, Divine Dance of Power takes a level 2, High Holly Homina Homina takes a level 3, and...."

Player: "Wait, I assume I will get a bonus on the roll based on the level of spell slot I sacrifice?"

DM: "Sometimes you will. Other times you will get a penalty based on the turning defense mode the opponent selects. Turning and turning defense modes will interact on a table. The table determines the actual DC of the roll, not the level of the spell slot burned. Choosing a given defense mode may actually mean you pay a spell to get a penalty on the save, but it will still be better than being defenseless."

Player: "The undead will get defense modes?"

DM: "Sure, so will you. Each round you will select a turning attack mode and a defense mode. In fact, you will need to select a defense mode against each undead opponent each and every round and each will cost you spell slots."

Player: "Wwwwwwhat????!!!!!! What if I am facing undead who do not cast spells, I assume they won't get to mount a defense?"

DM: "It doesn't matter if you face undead without casting ability because their turning and turning defense modes are free."

Player: "Wait a minute! This is stupid! One of my 3rd level spell slots could be spent on Searing Light which fries undead; why would I ever spend it on an attack mode that might help me on a turning attempt? And why would I ever take a turning defense mode, much less a separate one vs. each undead opponent? I would simply choose to ignore undead or cast spells against them or go at them with weapons. I would have to have brain damage to choose to turn with these rules!"

DM: "If you fail to mount a defense then each unblocked undead gets a special +8 bonus to hit you for having this wonderful class feature and choosing not to use it. They also get to drain your stats if they hit. This will apply also to anyone who adds a level of Cleric; multiclassing will be very flavorful."

Player: "But I am a spellcaster, I need to be able to cast spells. How can I do my job if my spell slots get sucked away every time we run into undead?"

DM: "Well, how can you do your job if you are dead or reduced to a mindless state? You need to use your spells this way or you may not live long enough to cast them anyway."

Player: Head down, silently weeping into his hands.

DM: "I should mention too that you will be able to make turn undead attempts vs. nonundead; if you succeed they will be stunned for a few rounds. Of course, everyone who does not have this feature will get a huge bonus on the save DC. The best part: If you blow a 5th level spell to use High Holy Hokey Pokey then everyone in a large area could be stunned for a long while and they don't get a bonus vs. this one mode -- that makes the entire system usable and balanced."

Player: "They should all be stunned if they ever see me willingly use these rules. This is preposterous! I need my spells to heal and buff and perform all the functions of a Cleric. How am I going to be of any use to the party if I hemorrhage spell slots every time we run into undead?"

DM: "That is the beauty of it: You get to choose whether to use your spell slots as they were intended or save your own hide by using them to turn. Come on and at least give it a chance. It will be a mechanic unique to your class so it must be a benefit. You don't want to be just another spellcaster do you? This will add so much flavor and.... Hey! Get him off of me!"

Player: "How ya like that fist flavor?"
    <*snort*> I hadn't seen it before. Thank you.