New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1218 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Alcore View Post
    i stand corrected on CR xp rates. I just don't have the energy to do the research...

if he is sorcerer 26+ then his level is 30+ after templates...

Remember; they are doing the doors like evil PCs, templates need to be counted. Xykon doesn't really travel like most epics and is a big fish in a small pond. The idea of him still leveling after 21 or 22 seems unlikely to me; there just isn't enough stuff left in the material to challenge him after getting a +4 level template.
    I can't say for sure if he is that high, as there are reasonable non-epic methods of doing some of the things he does. But at the same time it also doesn't really seem like he'd really be just level 21 or so.

Also FYI, the Nightcrawler the Ex-arch summoned with Gate is also a CR 18 monster. Dungeons that have more than one monster stronger than that, as well as many others not too far behind would be honestly pretty hard for the Order, especially considering how low-op they are.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wow, this was so good. After the excitement of Durkon's retreat, we have the Order united, working together and Elan being Elan. The heat is on, and the suspense builds.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Excellent strip!

I loved everyone's skills coming to use in the decision-making, Elan's lampshade, and I especially loved Minrah's and Belkar's exchange in the final panel!

I also can't wait to find out what both teams are going to find behind their respective doors.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    That would entirely negate the MitD's massive "marking off wrong doors" Chekhov's Gun if Team Evil found the gate in this specific marked door. This is, essentially, the singular time the evil side hasn't found the gate before the good guys. Well, I suppose Girard, but the evil team was there before the good guys, they just fell for the double-bluff since it wasn't Team Evil because Xykon would've seen through that. Or at least decided to blow up the surrounding pillar and discovered it by accident that way.
    There's also Soon's gate. Not only did they end up in its presence before Team Evil did, but they were also aware of that fact.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Also FYI, the Nightcrawler the Ex-arch summoned with Gate is also a CR 18 monster. Dungeons that have more than one monster stronger than that, as well as many others not too far behind would be honestly pretty hard for the Order, especially considering how low-op they are.
    Looking back, I don't think I've ever had an optimized character in any RPG, ever, in my life. It just seemed like too much work.

That's how I wound up with characters like an 18th level human Wizard who specialized in Transmutation, had a proficiency with the longsword (to match the miniature I was using), and had two hirelings to load and pass him heavy crossbows during rounds when he couldn't think of a spell to cast. And also the Run feat, because, you know how many spells have a range of "Touch"? Enemies hate that. You need to be able to run away real fast the next round.
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2020-11-02 at 02:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    True, they wouldn't destroy the universe immediately. They would destroy the universe in less than ten to fifteen minutes.
    If they all agree on that course of action beforehand, he says. They seem to be logjammed by the "Because four gates are gone, should we nuke the world?" question.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    So Serini who is the architect of this final obstacle is a rogue, just like Haley. I wonder if Haley realizes some kind of clue everyone else has been missing when choosing which door to go for?
    It's a shell game.

8. - Top - End - #128

BardGuy

It's a shell game.
    In a shell game of a true professional, the prize isn't under any of cups at all. Maybe same about the Gate.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Oh my god! After how long? After so many years of jokes and frustration and growth we finally see Roy explicitly just ask for Elans advice and its like it was always meant to be!!!

I am squeeing in bed y'all, you got not idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    Granted, Roy's probably just using him as a tie-breaker (aka he's been presented with two seemingly equally valid plans, prep for an immediate fight vs hide and draw things out), but I really do enjoy that Roy's realizing that Elan actually does have some sort of cosmic line on the story and how it should be going, and is trying to leverage that for some small tactical advantage.

.........but yeah, this is feeling like even more proof that we're going to get some sort of weird reveals behind at least one of the doors. Maybe it's the OOTS finding the actual gate, maybe it's Team Evil getting trounced, maybe both, but we're definitely well before the Final Confrontation period right now, who knows where things are going to be going...
    Did durkon clue any of the rest of the order into this being an explicitly self aware world as per word of god?
    Last edited by Jaecp; 2020-11-02 at 04:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Endgame spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Elan had been in my MCU, that film would've played out differently :b
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would this mean Elan would have been playing Star Lord?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    My money was on "build to a false climax, THEN a rug pull brought about by some massive central plot twist, opening a whole new section of the story."

An overtime, if you will.
    I've been thinking for almost a year now that this won't be the last book and that the real last book will be on the world of the snarl

12. - Top - End - #132

Knowing Xykon I'd bet he insisted the wolf do charades, because it is hilarious..
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Roy that asks for plot advice to Elan is amazing ahahah. Absolutely brilliant! 😂😂😂

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was just thinking . . . is this the first proper in-motion deliberation the Order's gotten since, uh . . . page 840, eight years ago??? V goes AWOL in the next couple of pages and then Durkon gets Gregg-ed (?) later on, so the Order is down by two until here, but that's more of a reunion than a tactics conference. Holy moly. No wonder everyone's feeling like the dynamics are good - we've been building to this for literal years!

Everyone's grown up and developed so much. Roy dealt with that whole bubbling trauma/chip on his shoulder combination about leadership in the Godsmoot Arc, Haley finally vented her feelings about not being a good person vis a vis her dad and Crystal, V is trying to make up for their . . . everything, Elan has taken up the role of support with gusto instead of following every whim, Durkon's got a new buddy and a new sense of direction, and Belkar is rolling down the thorny hill of Character Development whether he likes it or not. Go team. Everyone gets a lollipop and a sticker that says I partook in pan-party character development and it only took 1/3 of us croaking it to get here.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by A r c a d i a View Post
    Guys, what if this has actually progressed further than we expected, but not in terms of “the final fight with Team Evil”.

What if that thunderous explosion Vaarsuvius heard was actually Team Evil inadvertently blowing up the last Gate somehow?

That... would change the current direction of everything A LOT.
    An exploding gate would be much more obvious.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

16. - Top - End - #136
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    An exploding gate would be much more obvious.
    Not to mention that they would recognize that one by immediate auditory familiarity.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

wink Re: OOTS #1218 - The Discussion Thread

Amazing to see how much growth they have all under gone. What an amazing story. Are we nearing the end? Supposed to be the last book, but as Elan said, too many loose threads (Snarl anyone?).

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Elan's skills may not be much, but, where it counts, they work.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wysper View Post
    Amazing to see how much growth they have all under gone. What an amazing story. Are we nearing the end? Supposed to be the last book, but as Elan said, too many loose threads (Snarl anyone?).
    Eh, the Snarl isn't that important. What we need to know is if anyone ever does buy something at Jiminy's Polearm Emporium.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The real problem is we have established Greyview can track by scent. Unless someone can pop off an "eliminate scents for some distance" spell, he'll sniff them out.
    Ha! Fuzzball's wolfie didn't get enough credit for taking the initiative to locate the dwarves or immediately choosing the best course of action when silenced, did they?

(Still wanting to see charading Greyview bonus art. Pretty pleeeeease...)

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I just can't wait to finally see what the Monster in the Dark is.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Alcore View Post
    none of the monster are specifically at Xykon's level that we know of. He remarked once that some were able to give him xp. His rough level is about 25 with class and templates. You can only get xp from encounters 8 levels above or below.

The CR of the monsters are in the mid teens with some being 17+ CR.

Well within the parties range.
    Wait, why is there a limit on levels above granting XP? If you can take on something 10 levels above you somehow, I feel that should be worth more than 8 levels above you.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The real problem is we have established Greyview can track by scent. Unless someone can pop off an "eliminate scents for some distance" spell, he'll sniff them out.
    If only their ranger had enough Wisdom to cast 1st level spells.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, why is there a limit on levels above granting XP? If you can take on something 10 levels above you somehow, I feel that should be worth more than 8 levels above you.
    Because if your DM is throwing something that higher than you, something is probably wrong I think. Ad-hoc XP is a thing at least.

It’s why I don’t feel comfortable pegging Xykon that high despite being the most likely scenario. He is so much higher level than anyone besides maybe the MitD that I’d bet 5k quatloos and my left arsecheek that Xykon ends up taken out by showing him into the Gate instead of the Order actually being capable of doing anything of worth.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2020-11-02 at 09:09 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wysper View Post
    Supposed to be the last book, but as Elan said, too many loose threads (Snarl anyone?).
    Yeah, and if we look back to strip 1 of this book, it starts with a whole bunch of snarly threads (well, yarn) And way back when, Odin had something to say about yarn... I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn
    Quote Originally Posted by harami2000 View Post
    (Still wanting to see charading Greyview bonus art. Pretty pleeeeease...)
    I'll second that request.
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgarathMTH View Post
    I just can't wait to finally see what the Monster in the Dark is.
    I'll wager about two RL years from now; about mid book or so.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaecp View Post
    I've been thinking for almost a year now that this won't be the last book and that the real last book will be on the world of the snarl
    Well that would require Rich to be lying to us when he said this was the last book. I think a more reasonable answer would be it's not a different book it's just all crammed into one really big book.

The idea is if your party beat something THAT much above you, you probably didn't contribute much. Also to keep a group of Level 1s from hanging out with a level 20 NPC and just siphoning off all his CR 20 encounters to just slingshot themselves over all the early levels. :p
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

27. - Top - End - #147

PaladinGuy

Roy and Elan's relationship has actually come full circle. Roy put him on the team in the first place because Elan understood the genre conventions around building a team of adventurers. Now he's relying on Elan's knowledge of genre conventions to determine when a final battle should be fought. Elan is in effect doing the job he was hired for, and Roy finally understands how best to use Elan's talents for the party's success.

28. - Top - End - #148

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    In a shell game of a true professional, the prize isn't under any of cups at all. Maybe same about the Gate.
    Precisely. We (the audience) were shown where the rift was in one of the crayon strips and it wasn't in the canyon.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Precisely. We (the audience) were shown where the rift was in one of the crayon strips and it wasn't in the canyon.
    I thought part of the reason they went broke though was that she built the plot-device "Can't warp through it" rock mountain around the rift.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    I was under the impression that the crayon strips depicted Shojo's understanding of the truth, not the actual truth, and thus didn't depict the actual layout of the area around Kraagor's gate, because Shojo didn't know the details of the layout. That's why the terrain depicted in #276 doesn't match with what is shown once the story actually reaches the area.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.