New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Finale: order of events

As Elan reminded us in today's strip, there's a ton of loose ends. We have a pretty good idea what some of them are, and we have some guesses about others, but only Rich knows which loose ends he plans to tie up. We might hope for a resolution to something, but there's no guarantee Rich intends to resolve, say, whether Jiminy's pole arm business ever takes off, or if Shojo is smoking rolled-up contracts in the Chaotic Good afterlife.

What's interesting (to me, at least) is wondering what order they are going to be resolved in. Let's just look at a few big items hanging over the party right now, numbering them in no particular order:
    1. The gods plan to destroy the world if things get out of hand.
    2. The Dark One plans to threaten the gods if the ritual is completed.
    3. Redcloak and Xykon are going to try to complete the ritual.
    4. The Order is going to try to stop Team Evil from completing the ritual.
    5. Durkon wants to convince Redcloak to assist the gods in sealing off the Snarl.
    6. The Snarl is going to break through into this plane of reality (or whatever it does).

If 5 is first, then 4 doesn't need to happen, which means 3 and 2 and 1 don't happen, and it probably takes 6 off the table too. If 4 is first, then 3 and 2 and 1 are out, but 5 doesn't necessarily follow and 6 could occur. If 3 happens first, then 2 can happen and the gods may attempt 1; and it's too late for 4, but 5 could still occur (if somehow the Dark One is the first god to be killed, making Redcloak have a change of heart). I strongly doubt 1 will happen at all, because that's kind of a motivating force rather than a real story outcome.

What's your take?
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Finale: order of events

I think that your outline and structure is sound, but I also think that Eventus Interruptus will occur thanks to whatever it is that the fiends are doing and what the invisible kidnappers are up to. Both of those parties (remember the demonic cockroaches and their "nine sides" observation) have their own motives and goals, which will, I think, toss a wrench into both Team Xykon's and Team Roy's plans and objectives.

The only thing I am comfortable with is Belkar dying and MiTD eating Redcloak. The when I am not so sure about.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-02 at 08:52 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I think that your outline and structure is sound, but I also think that Eventus Interruptus will occur thanks to whatever it is that the fiends are doing and what the invisible kidnappers are up to. Both of those parties (remember the demonic cockroaches and their "nine sides" observation) have their own motives and goals, which will, I think, toss a wrench into both Team Xykon's and Team Roy's plans and objectives.

The only thing I am comfortable with is Belkar dying and MiTD eating Redcloak. The when I am not so sure about.
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    I'm skeptical that Redcloak will be devoured. It's a good Chekhov's Gun that Xykon set up in the prequel book, but I have a hard time envisioning how Redcloak dying could fit with 1.) the Dark One Quiddity Stuff and 2.) The MitD's character development.

My theory is that the "devour Redcloak" line was a red herring, or at least a sign that Xykon is preparing for disobedience from Redcloak...and even thinks he's got him now fully under his thumb. But that was written ~13 years ago, and a lot of plot points have kind of stepped on that dynamic or pushed it to the side. While it's still possible, and while I definitely think that Chekhov's Gun is going to go off, I don't see it actually happening as planned.

4. - Top - End - #4

I think that your outline and structure is sound, but I also think that Eventus Interruptus will occur thanks to whatever it is that the fiends are doing...
    I have a feeling that the interruption of the IFCC will be as a catalyst to cause or prevent one of 3, 4 or 5. I'm not sure that their intervention will cause anything new to happen that would interfere with those main plot points. Maybe there's an outside chance that some soul would take over V's body and help Redcloak cast the ritual, but that would mean assuming a lot of other things happening first.

Are there any other loose ends that should go in that list?
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    nice post
    My only rejoinder is "MiTD is always hungry" and the gobbling of Redcloak will include that as a gag line. (Yes, pun intended, as Redcloak will most probably prove tough to swallow ... another pun intended ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I have a feeling that the interruption of the IFCC will be as a catalyst to cause or prevent one of 3, 4 or 5. I'm not sure that their intervention will cause anything new to happen that would interfere with those main plot points. Maybe there's an outside chance that some soul would take over V's body and help Redcloak cast the ritual, but that would mean assuming a lot of other things happening first.

Are there any other loose ends that should go in that list?
    Hmmm: lemme think.
    a. I am pretty sure that IFCC also do not want the Snarl to devour the world. Their ax to grind is with the good (alignment-wise) deities.
    b. That world in the two rifts (Azure City and Desert) is a major loose end, and I think it's a Message. I get the idea that Thor and Odin becoming aware of it by accident has some off screen implications now that we'll see reflected about halfway to two thirds of the way through this book. Rich has thrown curve balls before.
    c. Establishment of the four quiddity 'seal' - Loki wants it and Thor wants it - strikes me as a necessary loose end to be tied up ... yet another pun, intended, given the nature of the Snarl.
    d. I don't think 6 happens based on c ^^^.
    e. Belkar's death - or the reveal that our chain was once again being yanked - is a necessary loose end.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-02 at 03:13 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Not exactly a super serious one, but we also have Chekhov’s Allosaurus with Bloodfeast currently under a Baleful Polymorph

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forevaxp View Post
    Not exactly a super serious one, but we also have Chekhov’s Allosaurus with Bloodfeast currently under a Baleful Polymorph
    Talk about Red (Herring) Allosauruses...I spent most of Utterly Dwarfed waiting for that boy to break free and chomp some vamps, and I know a significant chunk of the forum was predicting his return at Firmament.

When it does finally happen, it will be suitably awesome, I am certain.

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Just had a thought about the IFCC: when V was detained in the pyramid, their body fell to the ground frozen in place. V couldn't move their body, nor could the IFCC send a demon to puppet the body about (as it broke the contract).
    What if no-one can move the body while V is detained? The three minute window would be enough to leave V out in the open, or even worse giving away the Orders hiding place (ie wedging the door open).

9. - Top - End - #9

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Finale: order of events

Rich said the IFCC would be a force going foward. In do not split the party.

Where does a dragon queen come in?

This is going to be a phone book size book.

Belkar has a death scene. My guess saving the blonde cleric.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    Belkar has a death scene. My guess saving the blonde cleric.
    That would be Minrah, right? Or do you mean Hilgya?

11. - Top - End - #11

I suppose there is a way in which 1) can happen.

• 3) Redcloak and Xykon complete the ritual.
    • 2) The Dark One starts using the Snarl to destroy the gods.
    • 1) The (remaining) gods start to enact their plan to unmake the world.

Then an additional secret sauce, where a new world is procured, then
    • 6) The Snarl breaks through into this (new) plane of reality.
    • 5) Durkon convinces Redcloak to assist the (remaining) gods in sealing off the Snarl.

That would enable most of the plot points to actually occur, all except (4) the Order successfully stops the ritual. It would be a great reversal for the end of Act II.
    Last edited by Fish; 2020-11-03 at 01:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

c. Establishment of the four quiddity 'seal' - Loki wants it and Thor wants it - strikes me as a necessary loose end to be tied up ... yet another pun, intended, given the nature of the Snarl.
    For a while now I've thought that the possibility of creating a 4-color seal with the Dark One's new quiddity is just a red herring of sorts. It smells much like the plan at Girard's gate to guard it with summoned Planar Allies, which seemed reasonable at the time but in retrospect was only there to provide a reasonable motivation for the characters to continue and a hope that they could succeed. Indeed, the possibility of a 4-color seal:

- Provides motivation for the characters to behave in a certain way: the events of this book so far were all caused by Durkon trying to talk sense into Redcloak; and
    - Gives hope of success to the readers: after the reveal that billions of worlds were undone by the snarl, we need a good reason why we should expect it to end any differently this time.

But I don't think it will happen because:
    - It lacks a sense of satisfying resolution: Thor comments, "Sure, new rifts would form again somewhere else in a few thousand years, but as long as we kept spot-welding them as they came up, there's no telling how long this world could last." While the story *could* end with that possibility still in play, my gut tells me that the snarl problem will be resolved with more finality.
    - There are other things going on: we know that there's something mysterious going on with the planet in the rift and the Order of the Scribble's falling-out. Whatever's up with that, I'm sure it could lead to some other way to permanently deal with the snarl's threat.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    For a while now I've thought that the possibility of creating a 4-color seal with the Dark One's new quiddity is just a red herring of sorts. ... It lacks a sense of satisfying resolution: Thor comments, "Sure, new rifts would form again somewhere else in a few thousand years, but as long as we kept spot-welding them as they came up, there's no telling how long this world could last."
    I think you're partially right. The four-color seal tells us how to protect against the Snarl, but not who will ultimately pull it off. I seriously doubt the Dark One will ever agree to anything like cooperation, and I'm equally dubious that Redcloak could ever truly put the good of the goblinoids above his own personal vendetta. I imagine some other deity will come along to provide the necessary fourth color — some remnant of the old gods, some new creature, the MiTD's daddy, whatever. (I have my own theories about who.)

The question of duration, on the other hand, could work very well. The world has lived for thousands of years under the current regime of gods, and the goblins got the short end of the stick for all that time. It wouldn't be a bad thing to come under some new regime for an equal period of time — especially if the "who" part of the four-color equation is someone quite different. Imagine living for thousands of years on a world where the Dark One and the other gods have to cooperate on a regular basis. Now imagine that instead of the Dark One, it's Fruit Pie Sorcerer. Or Banjo, or something.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've felt for some time that Banjo is the solution that Rich is aiming for. We have seen that there are real worshippers in the Banjo pantheon, not just Elan. We've seen that Elan's idea of a "happy ending" includes silly things that probably shouldn't come true. We can imagine how Elan's happy ending ("for you, at least") would not necessarily be happy for others who take their religion more seriously. And if the Banjo pantheon solves its problems with pie-eating contests, it won't create another Snarl.

A lot of forumites absolutely hate the idea that Banjo will have anything to do with the solution, probably because they too take things a little too seriously.

I think this is a perfect solution because it allows Rich to actually carry out the threat of finishing the ritual, destroying some gods, letting the bad guys appear to win, and then pulling out a ready-made (and silly) solution to save the day.
    Last edited by Fish; 2020-11-03 at 12:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I seriously doubt the Dark One will ever agree to anything like cooperation, and I'm equally dubious that Redcloak could ever truly put the good of the goblinoids above his own personal vendetta.
    The invisible whomevers and the permutations of the IFCC open some doorways, to be sure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've felt for some time that Banjo is the solution that Rich is aiming for. We have seen that there are real worshippers in the Banjo pantheon, not just Elan. We've seen that Elan's idea of a "happy ending" includes silly things that probably shouldn't come true. We can imagine how Elan's happy ending ("for you, at least") would not necessarily be happy for others who take their religion more seriously. And if the Banjo pantheon solves its problems with pie-eating contests, it won't create another Snarl.

A lot of forumites absolutely hate the idea that Banjo will have anything to do with the solution, probably because they too take things a little too seriously.

I think this is a perfect solution because it allows Rich to actually carry out the threat of finishing the ritual, destroying some gods, letting the bad guys appear to win, and then pulling out a ready-made (and silly) solution to save the day.
    As for that
    Spoiler: why I don't think that is gonna be the case
    Show
    OoTS starts out with lame jokes, has a story, ends with lame jokes will mean that follow on productions from the Giant will lack a significant number of previous fans who do not care for that kind of treatment.
    Ever since he decided to make his living doing this, some of the kinds of options that you mention would seem to be foreclosed.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-03 at 01:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Flumph

I always believe that that thing he has done to MitD in SoD will be Xykon's undoing.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
    For a while now I've thought that the possibility of creating a 4-color seal with the Dark One's new quiddity is just a red herring of sorts.
    I disagree, heavily.

We spent a LOT of time with Thor in the Astral Plane. Far too much, in my opinion, to throw that all away. You mention Planar Ally, but that was only mentioned in a single page, halfway through the dungeon. The conflict was not "how will we stop Xykon & LG," it was "how will we get there before them." The plot seems pretty firmly anchored around TDO's participation at this point -- far more than I'd expect for a red herring.

And, really, has Rich ever made significant use of red herrings? That "gotcha!" attitude doesn't really match his writing style.

The potential alliance with TDO is, narratively, just too appealing. It helps us find a lasting resolution to the Snarl, and neatly ties in the goblinoids' plight with possible (sacrifice) redemption for Redcloak.

Sure, it might become complicated by the IFCC or the World in the Rift. But I don't expect the TDO alliance to become completely irrelevant, at any point really.

17. - Top - End - #17

Ever since he decided to make his living doing this, some of the kinds of options that you mention would seem to be foreclosed.
    I can appreciate that you think so, but I don't think it'll stop him from telling the story he wants to tell. He knew early on that Durkon would become a vampire and he followed through on it — and he did it in a way that was elevated above the early comedic potential of "Durkon hates the undead so much." The fact that Rich keeps propping up that early joke with Elan (and the secret identity of the MitD) suggests he's not willing to dump an idea he likes just because some unproved number of humorless readers threaten not to follow his theoretical Next Project.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I can appreciate that you think so, but I don't think it'll stop him from telling the story he wants to tell.
    Evidence to support my thought, form an in-world perspective, comes from here. I may be wrong, but I think he used that as a hint that Banjo remains comic relief (third: he's a puppet).

Not to mention, Belkar began as comic relief and evolved into an actual character. (I guess perhaps your point is that Banjo might be treated likewise?)

I can of course be wrong about that. As I noted above, Rich has tossed a few curve balls before.

Events:
    a. Belkar's death can fit anywhere among any of these: it's temporal location isn't important.

b. The MiTD reveal comes, I think either after the ritual is cast or before it is cast the the reveal coincides with the ritual never being cast, at all, by Xykon and Redcloak. That leaves the ritual to be cast by two other parties. (V and Redcloak are my candidates for that; and V is persuaded to do this as a form of atonement for familicide: save the world as payback for your sin, even though it is rife with risks ... )

c. The gods plan to destroy the world if things get out of hand.

That has to be done in serial after

d. The Snarl is going to break through into this plane of reality (or whatever it does).

Which happens after

e. The Dark One plans to threaten the gods if the ritual is completed.

which happens after

f. Redcloak and Xykon are going to try to complete the ritual. (Or Redcloak and V after the order succeeds, and then the other shoe drops and the ritual needs to happen anyway ... the Redcloak/V combo is contingent on this - Durkon convinces Redcloak to assist the gods in sealing off the Snarl - because of new events and facts and factions coming into play).

All of which Which happens after

g. The Order is going to try to stop Team Evil from completing the ritual.

Which will be, at best, only partly successful due to the "other sides/parties" getting involved to complicate things.

Roy's mini-speech in Azure city regarding the contracts being voided remains relevant. The Order's raison d'etre changed at that point. Why do I mention this? Roy is all in on stopping Xykon, and so is the rest of the order, but simply Stopping Xykon may not, nay, will not, suffice.

But there's a problem that I am not able to puzzle out at the moment:

Casting the ritual takes a couple of weeks. Given the compressed timeline since DSTP was finished, the various other sides/factions/parties can get up to plenty of mischief during "a couple of weeks" ... and Belkar dying in a fight to protect the two casters of the ritual would be an interesting twist. (Remember when he was supposed to protect V in the Fight against Xykon in DCF? Here's his chance to get that right ....)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-03 at 05:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Evidence to support my thought, form an in-world perspective, comes from here. I may be wrong, but I think he used that as a hint that Banjo remains comic relief (third: he's a puppet).
    That could also simply be Roy's opinion. If we took characters' words as Gospel of Giant, reality in OOTS-world would look very different. Tarquin wouldn't be out of the story, for one.

To my way of thinking, if Rich had wanted to drop the idea for being too silly, it would have been a lot easier to simply stop using Banjo. But Elan continues to make references to him, as recently as the Godsmoot (strip 949). Banjo has more appearances than, Therkla, Loki, Bozzok, Jirix, and Hel. Yes, the whole thing could be just a running gag, I don't disagree with that possibility, but I think the potential is still there.

Not to mention, Belkar began as comic relief and evolved into an actual character. (I guess perhaps your point is that Banjo might be treated likewise?)
    They all kind of did, yeah. Redcloak changed from a sycophantic yes-man to a character with depth and pathos. Haley stopped being a token female with rogue stereotypes and became someone with self-doubt and a family history. About the only major character who hasn't fully developed is Xykon. There's no reason to assume Rich doesn't have the ability to write whatever ending he intended from the start.

But there's a problem that I am not able to puzzle out at the moment:

Casting the ritual takes a couple of weeks. Given the compressed timeline since DSTP was finished, the various other sides/factions/parties can get up to plenty of mischief during "a couple of weeks" ... and Belkar dying in a fight to protect the two casters of the ritual would be an interesting twist. (Remember when he was supposed to protect V in the Fight against Xykon in DCF? Here's his chance to get that right ....)
    That would be an awesome twist, and I hope that's what happens. Belkar has been adversarial all along with both Durkon and Vaarsuvius, and to see him step up and save them would be very satisfying.

The several-weeks timeframe is more worrisome. It would mean the Order raced here aboard the Mechane in order to ... wait? search? hang around? until the last minute before saving the day. I rather think we're going to see the ritual, and witness it to completion. "Saving the day and stopping everything" is about the least interesting way to resolve all these loose ends.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, the whole thing could be just a running gag, I don't disagree with that possibility, but I think the potential is still there.
    Yeah, it could go either way, though running gags do have their own value. (like dropping the sword and losing track of a certain cleric...)
    The several-weeks timeframe is more worrisome. It would mean the Order raced here aboard the Mechane in order to ... wait? search? hang around? until the last minute before saving the day. I rather think we're going to see the ritual, and witness it to completion. "Saving the day and stopping everything" is about the least interesting way to resolve all these loose ends.
    Yes. I think that this is where the IFCC (and other factions?) insert themselves into the whole scenario and take us in some unexpected directions, which Rich has been doing for most of the series at various pivot points. Looking forward to seeing the what on that.

21. - Top - End - #21

I think that this is where the IFCC (and other factions?) insert themselves into the whole scenario and take us in some unexpected directions, which Rich has been doing for most of the series at various pivot points.
    This is mostly just speculation that is outside the scope of this thread, but let's look at that weeks-long duration a minute.

Suppose the Order retreats from this sortie — they hide, they go somewhere, whatever. They're no longer watching the Rift. And since O-Chul and Lien are no longer there, nobody else is watching the Rift either. Maybe the order uses V's person-locating spells to find O-Chul and Lien. Maybe it's something else.

Anyway, Team Evil goes into the door that actually contains the Gate, by luck or by design. They set up shop there and start doing the ritual. They don't come back out.

The Order returns. They can see that Team Evil is gone, but they don't know why, or more importantly where they are. "Oh no, they've found the Gate!" the Order says. "We have to stop them."

But how? They don't know which door to look in.

Figuring out which door is the right one could take the Order a long time. How long, exactly, depends on how much the Order knows.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

This is mostly just speculation that is outside the scope of this thread, but let's look at that weeks-long duration a minute.

Suppose the Order retreats from this sortie — they hide, they go somewhere, whatever. They're no longer watching the Rift. And since O-Chul and Lien are no longer there, nobody else is watching the Rift either. Maybe the order uses V's person-locating spells to find O-Chul and Lien. Maybe it's something else.
    Not sure what the multi dimensional stone does, but once the Order is behind one of those doors, they may get stuck for a while which would give Xykon and Redcloak some time if they (a) find the gate and (b) start the ritual, which seems to be a necessary condition for any of the big finale dominos to start to fall. And Lien will do something insanely heroic - she's in this story for a reason - but I think that will be an IFCC based hazard in her case.

MitD is a wild card. He'll interfere somehow but I don't yet know how.

I don't think TDO enters into this until Redcloak and he interact, which requires the ritual, and which I think will happen (as a follow up to Durkon and Thor interacting). I think that Redcloak will be in for a surprise when the TDO first speaks to him.

Since Xykon's aims are opposed to Redcloak's aims, the connection between TDO and Redcloak triggers a reaction where Xykon takes Redcloak out - or tries to. Something the MiTD does will make this harder than it needs to be.

The tension between Xykon and Redcloak needs to be resolved somehow, and "Xykon takes Redcloak out {or starts to}" looks to be a great chance for the Order to show up and help Redcloak fight/defeat Xykon, which leads to Durkon having leverage with Redcloak (I did this for you, you do this for me) to get him to cast that drop of purple quiddity so that the Snarl can be better restrained. But in a weird turn of events
    Spoiler: SoD I think
    Show
    , due to the spell on MiTD,
    MiTD ends up eating Redcloak when it's all over. MiTD is easily confused and is always hungry. It is quite possible that O-Chul (who has no love for Redcloak) is the key catalyst to this.

I don't think that fits your finale idea very well, but some of those pieces do fit together. Others are a complete S.W.A.G.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-04 at 08:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

I don't think TDO enters into this until Redcloak and he interact...
    You want a totally off-the-wall guess?

The Dark One and Redcloak...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...don't interact at all, because The Dark One is already dead.

All this time we've assumed that TDO made an artifact for goblins to wear, because that's what it says in SoD. What if that is TDO's actual, personal cloak, imbued with a residue of TDO's godly power and knowledge? It would make a lot of sense, given what we know: we've never actually seen TDO appear in-panel in real life. We've only seen people talk about him, or call up images of him. Redcloak doesn't actually talk to him.

Problem: in SoD, the Dark One's cloak is magenta, not red. But in other appearances, it totally is red. Maybe he switched cloaks.

The tension between Xykon and Redcloak needs to be resolved somehow...
    Yes, I've been wondering how that fits together. If Xykon is killed he'll know the phylactery wasn't swapped, and I don't know how he'll react to that. On the other hand, if the phylactery is destroyed first, we may never get to see the look on his face when he figures it out.

24. - Top - End - #24

You want a totally off-the-wall guess?

The Dark One and Redcloak...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...don't interact at all, because The Dark One is already dead.

All this time we've assumed that TDO made an artifact for goblins to wear, because that's what it says in SoD. What if that is TDO's actual, personal cloak, imbued with a residue of TDO's godly power and knowledge? It would make a lot of sense, given what we know: we've never actually seen TDO appear in-panel in real life. We've only seen people talk about him, or call up images of him. Redcloak doesn't actually talk to him.

Problem: in SoD, the Dark One's cloak is magenta, not red. But in other appearances, it totally is red. Maybe he switched cloaks.

Yes, I've been wondering how that fits together. If Xykon is killed he'll know the phylactery wasn't swapped, and I don't know how he'll react to that. On the other hand, if the phylactery is destroyed first, we may never get to see the look on his face when he figures it out.
    Jirix has talked to The Dark One and told us about it, and I see no way how he could be lying about that, in addition he keeps destroying Thor's messengers.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

25. - Top - End - #25

Lizardfolk

Also what are the rules on clerics of dead Gods getting spells? I feel like it's very campaign specific; I seem to remember Forgotten Realms had a dead God that clerics could follow but not get power from, and Pathfinder (Golarion?) had a dead God whose clerics abused poorly written rules on Conjuration to fake divine power.
    I feel like, given the setting, a dead God of a NSW Pantheon would be filled in by Biff the Understudy, or another God wearing a hat and glasses. As TDO is the only source of purple essence, I doubt either would be possible for him.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    Jirix has talked to The Dark One and told us about it, and I see no way how he could be lying about that, in addition he keeps destroying Thor's messengers.
    We don't know how long it's been since TDO has destroyed Thor's messengers, and none of the other gods have been able to contact him since then. Why not? Because he's just ignoring them? Or because he's dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Also what are the rules on clerics of dead Gods getting spells?
    We've seen the question kinda-sorta addressed twice — Elan points out that you can be the cleric of a cause, and the Creed of Stone doesn't have a deity. Technically, I suppose, Redcloak can be so invested in his cause that the deity has become an afterthought. He's granting himself spells, or in some way the cloak is granting him spells rather than the god.

The only real objection here is that Jirix would have to be lying. That's not a problem in itself; however, Jirix isn't on-site to explain his lie, which makes it narratively unsatisfying.
    Last edited by Fish; 2020-11-05 at 03:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Why not? Because he's just ignoring them? Or because he's dead?
    I don't think that Thor would be having Durkon contact Redcloak for the drop of (fourth) puple quiddity from a dead deity since the missing original (fourth) Green quiddity is based on the dead deities: the Eastern Pantheon. I got from that the following: bits of purple quiddity would need to come from a living / alive deity. TDO needs to be "alive" (whatever that means in god years) for that Purple quiddity to be available at all.

This is all based on what's available from Thor's exposition to Durkon over a series of strips. If TDO is no more, wouldn't Loki or Thor or Tiamat know that already?

And if that's wrong, I'd be interested to see that explained on screen, as it were. If Durkon's quest for purple quiddity is a red (or purple) herring it would be quite a surprise to me.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-11-05 at 04:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What's your take?
    There are two real antagonists: Redcloak and Xykon. Redcloak will come around so the world can be saved; Roy needs to kill Xykon to complete his arc. They will be dealt with in that order. It's entirely possible that Redcloak will join forces with the Order to kill Xykon. Or he may just give them the phylactery. Xykon knows too much to be left existing.

Elan, Haley, and Roy are going to survive. Durkon and possibly V are going to die - the Snarl may or may not be involved. Belkar isn't going to die: the prophecy is going to come true in some other way.

Alternatively, someone (Elan?) is going to try talking to the Snarl and succeed and talk it out of its anger. Perhaps it will let the goblins migrate to the world it has created. Perhaps it will reify itself in the outer planes and become a deity. Perhaps it will simply move on.

29. - Top - End - #29

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Elan, Haley, and Roy are going to survive. Durkon and possibly V are going to die - the Snarl may or may not be involved. Belkar isn't going to die: the prophecy is going to come true in some other way.
    You believe that two characters, one of which has died twice already, will die permanently with no foreshadowing, while another character whose death has been signposted and teased for the last five years or so will get off on a technicality?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I feel that between everything everyone else said there are enough telegraphed twists (as in: it has clearly been announced they will be twists, but it's very hard to tell what the twists will look like) that it's basically impossible to piece together the ending. The IFCC, the planet in the rift, the gods being made aware of said planet, the fact that they have created and destroyed countless planets and this was still news to them, Greentext and Orangetext who liked existing,however the Dark One might react to the proposal, any possible fallout from that last vampire in Dwarven lands... And that's not even counting the (as far as their impact on the bigger story of the world goes) more minor ones, like when Vaarsuvius will be checked into the lower planes, when Bloodfeast will be turned back, how Belkar dies (or something) etc. And I can't even tell in which of those categories the identity of the MitD goes.

The list of known unknown plot elements yet to play out is actually longer than the list of known plot elements yet to play out.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-11-07 at 06:11 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!