New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Are There Any Chaotic Evil Disney Villains In The Disney Universe?

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Thinking about it the witch who curses the beast in Beauty and the Beast likely counts.

This is a woman who shows up at a house unannounced and in disguise and when told to leave curses every member of the household trapping the master of the house (who is a child) in the form of a monster and the rest in the form of furniture until some arbitrary goal is meet which none of the victims have any real control over except to attempt to stockholm syndrome some unfortunate.
    I know we've talked about B+B a lot in this thread, but in the case of the Enchantress, if she had the magic to curse an entire castle, she probably also had the magic to just keep herself warm and not be morality police.

Although the story never addresses her again, so it's entirely possible she didn't have the magic to stay warm and there's a frozen vindictive witch corpse somewhere out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    No, if your goal is money you are accepting the underlying structure of society.
    I don't know if I agree with this premise, but it's certainly a novel and interesting way to look at the chaotic-lawful evil axis. How would you rate counterfeiting? On one hand, it's inherently subversive of the currency system, and probably implies an ideological disapproval of that system. On the other hand, it's a crime that pretty much only pays off while that existing system is in place--the more that system is undermined, the less you personally stand to gain by counterfeiting.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xyril View Post
    I don't know if I agree with this premise, but it's certainly a novel and interesting way to look at the chaotic-lawful evil axis. How would you rate counterfeiting? On one hand, it's inherently subversive of the currency system, and probably implies an ideological disapproval of that system. On the other hand, it's a crime that pretty much only pays off while that existing system is in place--the more that system is undermined, the less you personally stand to gain by counterfeiting.
    I'd rate counterfeiting as Lawful. It's a crime that works in the system. It might leech off and damage the system, but it only works within it.

EDIT: That's also why I feel Ratigen's plan is Lawful. His plan only works if people obey the laws that the Queen makes.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2020-11-11 at 12:35 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Ferngully considered Disney? If so, I nominate Hexxus.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think Norton Nimnul might be chaotic evil, or at the very least chaotic neutral with chaotic evil tendencies. His plans are so random that they're basically not plans at all, and many would realistically be so difficult and expensive that he's basically just doing them to do them. It doesn't make sense to spend 49000 dollars on a scheme to steal 50000. That's not a good return, especially when it's not guaranteed to work.

EDIT:
    Though in retrospect, most of that is true of the majority of mad scientist villains
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-11-11 at 01:11 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    The Siamese Cats from Lady and the Tramp?
    Chaotic Evil. Because cats.

I know we've talked about B+B a lot in this thread, but in the case of the Enchantress, if she had the magic to curse an entire castle, she probably also had the magic to just keep herself warm and not be morality police.

Although the story never addresses her again, so it's entirely possible she didn't have the magic to stay warm and there's a frozen vindictive witch corpse somewhere out there.
    The enchantress likely falls under the Black Alice category from Discworld. Not evil, but "so powerful it's difficult to tell the difference." In other words, extremely powerful without a rule against using that power to meddle. Working for what they perceive to be the greater good, and if a few normies get squashed in the process? Pffft.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

At the core of Ratigan's personality is a deep-seated self-hatred - he's come to hate being a rat and the stereotypes associated with being a rat so much that he's built a gentlemanly persona that loves art, uses his brilliant mind to commit crimes rather than base violence. He has disciplined himself to suppress his rage and express his sadistic impulses through trickery, commanding henchmen to do the dirty work, or constructing elaborate deathtraps. Only a barbaric, uncultured rat would do something as uncouth as murder someone with their bare hands, even if they're clearly capable of doing so.

Having a strict code and set of standards that guide your actions is more or less what being Lawful entails. He chooses an elaborate, in his mind technically legal scheme to crown himself King - it's the culmination of his personal quest to prove that he is not a rat. Rats are unthinking brutes. He is cultured. He has standards. He is not just part of mouse society, he is the very best of mouse society - their lawful and exalted king.

By the end of the movie your guess is as good as mine if he's still Lawful Evil but has gone completely insane, or if he finally decided not to bother with the facade anymore and embrace his uninhibited murderous impulses, in which case he might very well be Chaotic Evil by the end.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Ferngully is not Disney, no.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Chaotic Evil. Because cats.

The enchantress likely falls under the Black Alice category from Discworld. Not evil, but "so powerful it's difficult to tell the difference." In other words, extremely powerful without a rule against using that power to meddle. Working for what they perceive to be the greater good, and if a few normies get squashed in the process? Pffft.
    Considering the roots of the myth, it might be more appropriate to say the Enchantress obeys Blue and Orange Morality. Many myths feature supernatural or mythological creatures who will 'test' someone's hospitality, as in B+tB. A powerful sorceress might as well be a faerie as far as French peasants are concerned.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Ferngully is not Disney, no.
    That's an interesting philosophical question because as of the Fox buyout, technically yes. However though it may be considered Disney-imitative, it was no created with a true Disney mindset. What is the measure of a Disney?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Considering the roots of the myth, it might be more appropriate to say the Enchantress obeys Blue and Orange Morality. Many myths feature supernatural or mythological creatures who will 'test' someone's hospitality, as in B+tB. A powerful sorceress might as well be a faerie as far as French peasants are concerned.
    But as everything fits on the nine point alignment system (where such a system is used) that raises the question of what would she be - and based on our limited knowledge of her actions CE does not seem unreasonable.

That's an interesting philosophical question because as of the Fox buyout, technically yes. However though it may be considered Disney-imitative, it was no created with a true Disney mindset. What is the measure of a Disney?
    So what your asking is does Darth Vader count as Disney and was he Chaotic Evil?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    But as everything fits on the nine point alignment system (where such a system is used) that raises the question of what would she be - and based on our limited knowledge of her actions CE does not seem unreasonable.
    But equally it could be LE or even LN. LE, because she follows a strict code of who gets cursed and why. LN, because she could be acting as an agent of judgement, and more represents a 'last chance' than as someone randomly showing up and cursing you.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Or like how most Fae are presented, as CN, because while their rules make sense to them internally, they seem utterly arbitrary and often disproportionate to mortals seeing them from the outside.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'm tempted to believe the Enchantress was CE because her only act of consequence was to curse these people and then [blank] off entirely. There was no oversight. No regulation. Nothing done to actually teach the beast or make sure he was learning how to be a good host/ true love (symbiotic ideals?), just a pox on his entire household that turns terminal in 10 years.

If I tore the legs off someone who mugged me and said they could plausibly get those legs back if they learned to be a good dad within 10 years or they die, all I've done is tear the legs off a mugger and threaten him with worse unless he does something his legs really would have helped him with. Eldritch magic autopay non-withstanding, I've still brought a lot of trauma down on someone and only vaguely connected it with some act of 'good' that I honestly had nothing to do with.

Also I'm not asking if Vader is a CE villain, I'm asking if Ripley 8 counts as a Disney Princess.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have a pet theory that the Enchantress in Beauty and the Beast was Maleficient, who, as the prince's godmother, having gifted him with a magical mirror at the occasion of his christening, had specific reason to claim the right of his hospitality, which would tilt things in the direction of Lawful Evil.

There is very little textual support for this theory.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Despite the context and the missing "t", I cannot help myself but to read "B+tB" as "The Brave and the Bold".

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight