New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default [DnD5E-IC]Adventures in the Borderlands, Chapter 0

All along the base of the Gran Mountains, nestled against the shores of the Clean Sea, lies the land of Mercadia. It is a land of petty kingdoms and petty kinds and city states and puppet emperors. Along the northern edges is the Great Steppes Forest, in which reside (among other things) the Elves of Myth Drannor. Where the land begins its sharp rise toward the great Dwarfholds of the Dwimmerluk can be found the hybrid human-feline folks of Cliff. Farther west, wedged against the Orcish Plains of Krishnak and the Hermit Lands of Durance is the Magogracy of Khresh. All through these lands is a road. THE road. The Longest Road. It is broad and flat and snakes it way through the all these lands, and through the Land of 1000 Princesses, the Dominion of Varelse, and onward farther still.

The road has not beginning. It emerges from the unpassable deserts of Godfall Valley to the west and makes its way beyond the bounds of civilization to the east, into the great wilderness beyond.

Out there, in the wilderness, which some call the Waste, and some call the Wilds, but most call the Borderlands, the road is rumoured to turn north and find its way toward the only known pass through the Gran Mountains to whatever lies beyond.

The Borderlands were once the site of a Grand Duchy, rich and fat from trade and from mining the slopes of the Gran Mountains. Heroes of great renown once lived there. Wizards and sages and warriors of legend once traveled there for wisdom and tutelage.

But that was long ago.

Now the line of Joranna is nearly spent. Wasted away in idleness and indulgence. Vanished into other bloodlines through marriage. There are only a dozen scions of that great house still visible and active.

One such is Duke Ariana Joranna. Fighter. General. Leader. Well-read and well-traveled, she has spent her life preparing for the time when she would reclaim her family's lands. She has learned the skills she will need, made friends and earned favours such that she might have the resources to begin. And her eyes blaze with the fires of resolution.

She has decided that time is now. And that great work, the task for which she has prepared her entire life, will begin with a small ragtag group, sent out to the wilderness, to see what remains of her ancestors' castle.

The Keep on the Borderlands.

The Longest Road stretches one full week from the last vestige of civilization into the wilds. It is said that the Keep was built on a stone hill, overlooking a fertile valley, only a hours' walk from the river Goblinwater.

The job was posted. Coin offered in reward. A scratch map made. Thoughts and prayers offered. Horses and several servants provided.

Five days later and the caravan is far, far from home. The winds howl across the plain and the Whispering Woods looms overhead on the steppes, foul and ominous sounds coming from the trees. The road travels alongside the Goblinwater and is easy enough to navigate.

Around noon on the sixth day one of the groomsmen, Barrad, points and says "Ere's the Keep!" And he's right. Far away, barely a shadow against the rising land, is a castle on a stone hill. From here it looks to be a sorry state. There would be no reaching it today.

A few hundred yards off the road is a large standing stone covered in worn-away runes.

Barrad squints. "Shall we camp, then? The horses are powerful thirsty." The other groom, Duskin, agrees that the horses do seem thirsty. Although, he's generally likely to agree with anything that involves taking a rest.

The two porters, Plut and Gorm, nod as well. They are also likely to agree to sitting down, regardless of the reason.

Spoiler
    Show
    Welcome to Adventures in the Borderlands! This is going to be a pretty simple little intro. A few encounters. A small map. Maybe a little treasure. Just enough to get our 1st level feet wet and start the 'real' adventure with a little seasoning. In your opening post, feel free to mention what brought you to this job, your association with Duke Araiana, and anything else good for setting things up.
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-11-04 at 09:36 PM.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD5E-IC]Adventures in the Borderlands, Chapter 0

Spoiler: Old Post
    Show
    Heart, still a touch unused to horseback, dismounts. She pats the horse's rump, then moves around and looks him in the eyes. She stays like that for a moment, establishing a connection, before smiling and moving on to helping do her part in setting up the temporary camp.

She first steps towards the Duke, though makes sure to step loudly, so that the woman is not surprised by her presence. She had, after all, met the Duke through Robert "Slippery Bob" Arn, who Araiana seemed to be cautious with. "Your Dukeliness, is there anything you need help with?" she asks. "And, erm... Any history we should know about with the keep? Any idea what might be living in there?"

Heart, still a touch unused to horseback, dismounts. She pats the horse's rump, then moves around and looks him in the eyes. She stays like that for a moment, establishing a connection, before smiling and moving on to helping do her part in setting up the temporary camp.

While camp is being set, she talks to the employees of the Duke. "How long have you all been with the good lady? I don't know a ton about the histories of the nobility-just not my forte, really-but from what I could gather, she seems nice. But it's always good to get a view from the ground floor-how does she treat you all?"

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Heart dresses in simple clothes-britches, a tunic, usually in whatever colors she can get her hands on. She does try to liven up the outfit a bit, often having a flower in her hair or similar, but might not while out in the Borderlands, if there's no local wildflowers.

Her skin is a dark tan, her eyes bright green, and her hair speckled red.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-11-04 at 11:22 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Howl rem Foucault is tall, an inch or two over 6 feet and well built with broad shoulders and a narrow waist. With inquisitive green eyes, straw colored hair, and an almost mischievous smile; he’d be the perfect picture of a charming young human man if it wasn’t for his striking crimson skin. Beyond the red of his durma, his body radiates a feverish level of heat. Standing near him didn’t feel far from standing by a wood-burning stove and actual fire seemed to dance about more aggressively whenever he was near.

Five days on the trail had done nothing to deflate Howl’s high spirits. It was 6 days ago that he’d met Duke Ariana and signed up for her crusade to regain her ancestral home. The opportunity seamed heaven sent. After an interminable stretch of aimless wandering with no real adventure to be found, the Duke’s quest was too perfect to pass up. The chance for excitement and maybe even treasure, and besides; (Who better than a noble who’s trying to reclaim her land to help me learn about my family?) Howl thought to himself. (If she recognized my last name she sure didn’t give anything away though...)

It was hard for Howl to hear that the caravan would be stopping here tonight when the keep was so tantalizingly close, but he wasn’t the one in charge. As they’d been marching Howl has been spending time clucking at the horses and giving them scratches behind the ears and after a period of about 10 minutes both he and the horses could speak to each other about as well as any two people. (Ritual cast Speak With Animals)

We’re all stopping for the night. You two’ll be able to relax, drink some water and graze for the rest of the evening but if you hear or see anything approach camp come get me. We’ve all got to protect the herd!“ With that he gives one of the horses a playful pat and looks around the new campsite. While others set up tents, Howl collects firewood and assembles it into a firepit. With a snap of his fingers he uses Prestidigitation to ignite the fire and uses Control Flames to burst the small ignition into a full and cozy conflagration. And with that he sits on the ground near the fire and takes out his carved cherrywood ocarina and plays a relaxing melody as everyone settles into camp. Even through his playing he’s ready to help out anyone who might need it around camp or talk to anyone interested in striking up a conversation.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Arabella had not really planned to be so far east in her travels. Like much of her work lately, it was simply the direction her most recent employment had taken her. And so, by chance, was she in the vicinity to hear word of Duke Joranna’s expedition to reclaim her birthright.

The cause spoke to her on a deep level and resonated strongly with her own ambitions. Indeed, in helping another, she could only but raise her own profile, that of her House and even potentially secure a valuable, if remote, ally. The decision made almost instantly, she found herself travelling with a curious group.

As the days passed, she grew to know them but a little as casual conversation was not her forte and, while remaining polite, she was not immensely keen on befriending those she worked with. The temporary and transactional nature of the various jobs made any reward not worth the effort. As long as they remembered her and that she did good work, that was most of what mattered.

When the keep came into view on the sixth day, Arabella drew her horse to a stop and watched as others began setting up an early camp. There’s some sense to it, she mused, dismounting. Best to proceed into such an unknown as fresh as possible. She took a few moments to look after her mount, retrieving her saddlebags and checking that one of the retainers would be feeding and watering the animals.

Slinging her bags over a shoulder, she began looking around for a good sleeping spot.

Spoiler: Appearance
    Show
    Arabella is of average height, though with a muscular build. Her skin is pale, though the exposed skin is lightly tanned. She has blonde hair kept short, barely past her ears and dark green eyes. She is usually dressed in a well-made but worn tunic with her family coat of arms on the surcoat - a giant eagle at rest on a field of blue - and breeches with thick leather boots. She has a glaive as her primary arm and a shortsword on her left hip. She dons a helmet and chainmail when expected combat.
    Last edited by Silent_p; 2020-11-04 at 01:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Serien unfastens the pack bound around his cloaked shoulders, setting it gently down against the standing stone. Like the porters, he is on foot, and has taken on some of their load. Either the camaraderie of a shared burden or simply having more breath to spare seems to make them more amenable to conversation. Over the days since the expedition set out, the masked magician has tried to glean some sense of why his fellow travellers are on this mission.

Not all are easy studies; the blue-clad warrior has been particularly reticent. Each is a piece of a puzzle, from the horses glistening with sweat in the high noon sun to their absent employer. It is the mystery of existence, of the ones who are free but not free, of starvation and lunacy and violence. Built of stone and flesh and arcs of fire, it is every person who dies in filth and for nothing, which is every person. Ogre and goblin, dark wizard and commoner. The effigy of ash and bone wears Serien as much as it wears the porcelain-and-wood mask that so resembles a flower it cannot remember the name of. Reason would tell it where to begin, but what is reason? It begins here.

With a pile of old rocks that must be won for a woman who does not need them; a woman made of paper and coin and others' mouths, not standing at the end of the tunnel but herself the end of the tunnel, for when one madness is unraveled perhaps all of them will be.

Following the horses to the river, Serien kneels down and plunges his entire masked head beneath the surface. Wrapped in disguise as he is, the cold water rushing in to surround his head is one of the most stimulating sensory experiences the graveling can get.

After a few moments, he resurfaces, water streaming from the porcelain eyeholes of his mask. Flopping down on the riverbank, he listens to the wind, hearing the whispers of dread that one never does except in places like these and letting the familiar sensation wash over him.

Better familiar insanity, Serien wonders, or new?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    While camp is being set, she talks to the employees of the Duke. "How long have you all been with the good lady? I don't know a ton about the histories of the nobility-just not my forte, really-but from what I could gather, she seems nice. But it's always good to get a view from the ground floor-how does she treat you all?"
    One of the two porters, Plut, stands up from where he was setting up a basic tent. "Aye, Barrad and Duskin been wit her Dukeship s'long as you have. They're working here for a palm o'coin. Gorm'n'me are lifers, like. Our family's been valets and servants to the House o'Joranna since the before times. Most of us gone off to other work, what with the Joranna's being bounders, most-like. But not her Dukeship. She's a real one, she is. Been done spent her whole life trying to be the best Duke and Duke can be, so when she gets back what's hers, she'll be worthy of it."

Gorm wanders over. "Ayup, I admit, I wasn't much for this here little journey at first. Seems foolhardy to me. And a waste-a-coin and what-else. But if anyone can get this insanity done, it's her Dukeship. And no one I met in the halls of the mighty deserves it more."

He pauses.

"What's brought you out here, then. Must be easier ways of pocketing some jingle."

As they’d been marching Howl has been spending time clucking at the horses and giving them scratches behind the ears and after a period of about 10 minutes both he and the horses could speak to each other about as well as any two people.
    Horses are afraid of pretty much everything. And horses not trained for war are scared of everything and always on the raggedy-edge of running away. These two are no different. This is all very strange to them, and the scents of predators and humanoids are on the wind. They're jumpy and twitchy. The two grooms know their business well and are careful with them, but Howl's ability to speak their language is very calming for them.

Duskin shakes his head. "That's a very useful talent, that is. Makes me wish I'd learned some magic when I was young. After watching you, it feels like I'm doing my job blindfolded."

Upon making camp, the horses both shy away from the standing stone. They shake their heads and whinny nervously. Smells like underground, they say, like being buried, like no wind, like ever breathing ever again.

They also keep their distance from Serien. They say he smells like death. And horses are very very sensitive to anything that smells like death or dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    Slinging her bags over a shoulder, she began looking around for a good sleeping spot.
    The standing stone is about 12 feet tall and is broad and flat and comes to a point. It leans slightly to one side. The ground around the stone is very flat and the grass is sparse. There is a small hollow in the earth near the north face of the stone. It would be out of the wind and provide some obfuscation from casual observation.

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    Following the horses to the river, Serien kneels down and plunges his entire masked head beneath the surface. Wrapped in disguise as he is, the cold water rushing in to surround his head is one of the most stimulating sensory experiences the graveling can get.
    The horses are very reactive and twitchy when he comes too hear. The grooms are clearly confused and even a little apologetic. "I dunno what's up with her," Barrad says, "She's not usually one to take up against a person."
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-11-04 at 10:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Serien props himself upright, one hand performing the swift gestures that everyone else has come to recognize as belonging to the magic he uses to bypass his mutism.

"Nothing to worry about," he says pleasantly to Barrad. "Some magic"—he tilts his head to indicate Howl—"agrees with animals. Other kinds don't. Means I can't ride a horse, but there are worse fates."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you.” Howl responds to Duskin. “It certainly comes in handy, but we all have our talents. Speaking of which... I don’t suppose anyone here knows how to cook? It’d be fun to take a break from travel rations and eat something actually freshly cooked to celebrate finally getting so close to The Keep.

When he sees Serien gesture towards him while talking to Barrad, he gives the enshrouded magician an easy smile, and a somewhat bemused look when he sees the Sorcerer dunk it’s fully dressed head into the water.

9. - Top - End - #9

Taking note of the sheltered spot next to the standing stone, Arabella walked over to claim it by leaving her bags, bedroll and weapons down. She took a moment to study the stone itself, noting the faded runes and reaching out to run a gloved finger over them briefly. Arcane? Or simply ritualistic? Her thoughts are sidetracked as she overheard Howl wonder about cooking.

She realised it had been several days since she’d been involved in the preparation of a meal and turned to walk over. Only fair to at least assist. She made her way over to the fire and looks around those closest. ”I am a passing hand at a stew. Is there meat or do we need to hunt?”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Tirnelion, Knight of Myth Drannor
    AC: 18 | HP: 12 of 12
    Passive Perception: 12| Passive Insight: 10
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

The tall elven warrior, clad in a deeply hooded elven cloak, had walked beside the procession for most of the day, his eyes alert, scanning the horizon, surveying the terrain, ancient memories stirring his thoughts. Appearing contemplative during the journey, Tirenelion reflected on the history of the land, the Duchy of Joranna, that once great line now spent, fading into the mists of time, all but forgotten by the younger races. He, however, was not a member of such, but one of the tel'quessir, the chosen of the Seldarine, sent from Arvandor to act as caretakers of the mortal coil, to observe and guide their cousins, the younger races. He had riden the length of this great road, ages past, with his father, accompanying him, for the first time beyond the borders of Myth Drannor.

Even then he found the younger races fascinating, curious, driven, and energetic, despite the length of time alotted them on this world, they moved forward in a ceaseless march towards something greater than themselves, to build a legacy to their own, short lived, lives. A frown crossed his serene face, perhaps it was that infintely short period of years alotted to them, that allowed their lives to flare so brightly, like a flower that bloomed but once before it fell from the vine. And so it was with these melancholy thoughts and remeberances for the line of Joranna, that the procession stopped and the company began to make preparations for their encampment.

As Arabella ran her hand down the face of the stone, in reverence of curiousity, he stepped from behind it's great bulk, his long, slender fingers mirroring the human woman's. Slowy tracing it's surface, clearing away moss and dirt following the grooves, the worn runes, that had in ages past, stood out in start contrast to the stone itself, he closed his eyes recalling it's standing, it's meaning from a time generations past. "They were wardens of the land, the Joranna's. They had done a great service for the realm of Myth Drannor, Valerius Joranna, the first of his name, had ridden thirteen days and nights, without pause, his own lands overcome by the ork hordes having marched across those lands, he implored for entrance beyond the borders of Myth Drannor, beseaching the tel'quessir to intervene, convincing them of the threat to their own borders. So it was, in time, he gained admittance, and the tel'quessir marched shoulder to shoulder with the men of Joranna, the dwarves of Dwimmerluk, and drove the great horde to the Krishnak plains." He opened his eyes, the runes faded, the stone weathered by wind, and rain, and time. "The line of Joranna was named sha'tel'quessir, or friend of the people, a debt though forgotten my his line, is remembered by mine own."

He paused as the wind carried the sound of the fire-touched traveller's ocarina drifted through the evening air, a smile touched his elven face as he withdrew from beneath his sky blue cloak, an equisitly crafted elven harp. His nimble fingers gently carressed the strings, producing a counterpoint to the ocarina's joyous melody, the harp eliciting moments of melancholy, reverence, and respect. As the last notes echoed into the late afternoon air, he paused, looked to the sky above and took a deep breath, before reverently packing away the harp in a wrap of leather, laying it beside his belongings at the base of the standing stone.

When she spoke of stewed meats and rations, Tirnelion could only shake his head, "I saw little in the way of game as we travelled along the road, Arabellaphon de Lancet. Given the winds, it would not surprise me to find any number of birds having taken roost in the boughs above the Dragathail," he shook his head, "excuse, the Goblinwater. Should you care to join, it is my belief that we could easily feed our companions."

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    One of the two porters, Plut, stands up from where he was setting up a basic tent. "Aye, Barrad and Duskin been wit her Dukeship s'long as you have. They're working here for a palm o'coin. Gorm'n'me are lifers, like. Our family's been valets and servants to the House o'Joranna since the before times. Most of us gone off to other work, what with the Joranna's being bounders, most-like. But not her Dukeship. She's a real one, she is. Been done spent her whole life trying to be the best Duke and Duke can be, so when she gets back what's hers, she'll be worthy of it."

Gorm wanders over. "Ayup, I admit, I wasn't much for this here little journey at first. Seems foolhardy to me. And a waste-a-coin and what-else. But if anyone can get this insanity done, it's her Dukeship. And no one I met in the halls of the mighty deserves it more."

He pauses.

"What's brought you out here, then. Must be easier ways of pocketing some jingle."
    "You know Indos?" Heart asks. "Big city, crappy folk in charge? Well, I spent some time there, with my traveling friends. There were so many people, begging for food. Guards were quick to rush in to a disturbance, and profit off it, rather than help anyone. Everyone I talked to was downcast-no one had any hope. So... If I want to change that, I need a lot more authority than a simple traveler gets. And your Duke is someone who I think I can trust to help me, and more importantly, help the people of Indos. Besides which," Heart says with a smile. "She seems like a great lady. I'm happy to help someone like that anyway."

If the porters don't ask anything more, Heart will wander over to the more adventurous companions. "We talking food over here? I do like food-though I'm only passable at cooking it myself. It's edible-but that's not exactly a compliment."

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

"Tirnelion, mind offering a hand?" Heart asks the knight. "I saw some game maybe about five minutes back-I can probably net us something satisfying, so we don't have to dip into the rations."

With the man's agreement, Heart sets off back where they came. She sets out at a good pace, looking for any tracks, and once they're located, follows them to where the animals are. When near enough, she directs Tirnelion to spook them in a certain direction, where she'll be waiting with her daggers. Once she's set, she whistles the signal, and Tirnelion charges out, attempting to skewer one of deer himself (because, hey, if he can manage it, why not grab some extra meat?).

A few iterations on the process later, they've got more than enough meat for a good meal. "Nicely done!" Heart says as they trek back with the corpses.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This feels reasonable for a 19. Good meal, no real danger, no arrows wasted.

DM-if you feel this post is too generous, please let me know, and I'll edit/delete it as appropriate.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Arabella listens to Tirnelion’s brief history about the Joranna quietly, making a few mental notes about questions she could pose to the Duke. May aid in opening a conversation, she thinks.

She nods briefly at the elf’s suggestion to hunt but Heart takes the initiative and the pair depart. Considering the time it will likely take to complete such a task and then prepare the meat for cooking, Arabella resolves to find some more ingredients for the meal. ”I’ll see what I can forage nearby,” she remarks to Howl. ”Mushrooms, most likely. Maybe some herbs.”

She gestures toward a forested area close-by then, fetching her shortsword, makes her way there to forage.

Spoiler: Foraging check
    Show
    (1d20-1)[2]

It takes her almost the same amount of time as the hunters but she returns to the campsite empty-handed, a few small scratches on her face all she has to show.

Nonetheless, she steps forward to help with skinning and butchering of the deer.
    Last edited by Silent_p; 2020-11-05 at 07:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Clinton Moore had planned to go to the Borderlands after Cypress retired. Clints head was filled with fantasy of Cypress's adventure and of Zelligar and Roghan's stronghold. Taking the job with Ariana Joranna was an easy choice for Clint. It provided him some coin and a party to make his first treks into the Borderlands.

Clint is used to travelling and has been in high spirits the entire adventure. Often times when getting distracted by the scenery, Clint start mumbling and talking out theories and ideas that struck him, all while playing with Camphor his familiar. More often than not he was trying to chat Serien. Clint is fascinated by Serien, often times talking to him about life and its meaning in Draconic.

When everyone arrives at camp Clint set down his pack, tells Camphor to stretch his wings, and immediate walks over to the runes. Absolutely fascinating.
    I love the borderlands! Every day we find something new and exciting"

With a large smile, Clint start examining every inch of the runes, muttering to himself.

Spoiler: Arcana check
    Show
    (1d20+5)[25]

He gives a brief nod and smile to Arrabella and Tirnelion as he passing is examining the stone.

Spoiler: Description of Clinton Moore
    Show

Clint is a very large man. He is 6'6" with red/auburn hair.
    He walks in simple travels clothes with a cloak and a quarter staff he uses as a walking stick and focus. His redtailed Hawk familiar is often on his shoulder or circling overhead. Clint may look physically imposing, but after talking to him for a second, you realize he isn't intimidating. He is sweet, curious, and easily distract by his thoughts.
    Last edited by BestUserName; 2020-11-05 at 09:35 PM.
    Thank You Ninja Chocobo for the awesome portrait! I inherited it from The Bush Ranger.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Howl watched as Arabella returned empty handed and a bit scratched up and flashed her a faux-grimace. “Well you cant win them all, right? I’m sure we’ll be able to turn whatever our hunters catch into something great even without mushrooms.

Hey Serien! When you dunked your head in the water, did you see any edible fish or aquatic herbs you could pluck for us?

16. - Top - End - #16

Heart sidles over to Clint, seeing him engrossed in lore, and quietly asks "Anything interesting there, buddy?"

She knows that he might not answer immediately-if he's deep in focus, he'll be too busy concentrating to answer. But she's still curious, seeing if he can figure anything out.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heart Cliff View Post
    "Tirnelion, mind offering a hand?" Heart asks the knight. "I saw some game maybe about five minutes back-I can probably net us something satisfying, so we don't have to dip into the rations."
    The stoic elven warrior regarded the feline figure as she approached, nodding subtly at her request, "It would be my great honor to join you Heart, of the Western Reaches Cliffs." He set down his cloak, and strung his great bow with a practised hand, and as they set into the bush he moved with a preternatural grace, any noise he did make easily masked by the rustle of wind through the boughs above their head. Before they had gone too far, he turned to his companion, "I will admit, I know little of your people, called the Cha'cath Shee among my people, however, I do know they are not typically seen beyond the Western Reach, and so I find myself curious how you have come to far afield from one's home?"

Before his companion had the opportunity to reply, they flushed from the bush a young deer, she was waiting with daggers, an unclean death, the creature would suffer, but she had already committed to her task. When the doe rushed out, Tirnelion, nodded his respect towards the creature before dropping it with a singular shot through the heart. He retrieved his arrow, cutting it neatly from the flesh with a hunting knife. He then strapped the doe's hooves, carrying her back towards the camp, all the while humming a low chant of thanks to the Seldarine for their grace, and the sharing of their bounty with himself, and his companions.

On their return the camp was more lively, his companions had begun to settle down for the evening, Clinton Moore, the scholar, had begun to investigate the worn rune stone that stood sentinel over their camp. The fire-touched minstrel stood amidst the companions, speaking with the human nole, Arabellaphon de Lancet, and their final, silent companion sat seperated from the others, outside the warmth of the fire and comraderie. Having placed the doe, and it's fawn on the ground, Tirnelion moved, again, to his harp, as other's began to butchery. A light tune, while his thoughts turned to the great epic ballads of his people, sorrowful and joyful, oft times simultaneously.

18. - Top - End - #18

Before the Hunt
    "Well," Heart says as she sets off to the deer, "I've always had... Wanderlust, I guess. I was happy at home-but not satisfied, if you know what I mean? My family loved me, and I loved them, I had friends, but I wanted more. More out of life than a simple, safe home. I'll always love them, and I know I'll always have a place at home. But there's so much more to the world. I couldn't stay my whole life in one little area."

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

before the hunt (response to heart)
    Clint looks up briefly at Heart before returning his gaze to the runes and speaking.

I don't habe anything to report yet, but I am making good progress.

After that Clinton is all focus on the stone. As you are leaving to hunt, he say to the group in general.
    I am happy to help cook.
    My master Cypress was a dreadful cook, so I'm fairly practiced at cooking now.

Unknown to you all Clint calls out to Camphor with his mind.

Camphor, come to me. There will be fresh food here soon.

Seemingly out of nowhere Camphor swoops in and lands gingerly on Clinton's shoulder. Giving Clint a small headbutt of affection after landing.
    Last edited by BestUserName; 2020-11-28 at 03:45 PM.
    Thank You Ninja Chocobo for the awesome portrait! I inherited it from The Bush Ranger.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    Howl watched as Arabella returned empty handed and a bit scratched up and flashed her a faux-grimace. “Well you cant win them all, right? I’m sure we’ll be able to turn whatever our hunters catch into something great even without mushrooms.
    Mildly frustrated at her failure, Arabella glances over at Howl and nods. ”Yes. I’m not sure whether I missed the mushrooms or there were none to be found. Either way...” She spreads you hands out, emphasising their emptiness.

Taking on the work of preparing the carcass for cooking, she sets it on the stone and, kneeling beside it, begins the process of removing the hide carefully. Once done, she starts cutting. The activity is mostly routine for her now, having performed it dozens of times in the last few years. It was not something she had ever expected to learn, much less use so frequently but, needs often must these days.

When she’s finished, she approaches the others at the fire. ”A spit roasting would be best in the absence of vegetables for a stew. Do any of you have the mecessary equipment?”

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

"I wasn't really looking," Serien calls back to Howl. Getting up, he walks back to the campfire. "Wouldn't know what's edible anyway," he admits, sitting down. For a while, he sits silently, contemplating the doe and her fawn as Arabella strips the skin from their corpses.

Did they know when the end was upon them?

Hearing her ask about spits, he draws a metal rod from under his cloak and offers it to her. "Perhaps this? Not really sharp, but that can be helped if you stab it in fast." With a wave of his hand and an incomprehensible mutter, a pointed cap appears atop the rod, then vanishes after a few seconds.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    "You know Indos?" Heart asks. "Big city, crappy folk in charge?

A few iterations on the process later, they've got more than enough meat for a good meal.
    The groom nods. "I heard tell o'the name, for sure, but it's a little far afield for the likes of me. Seems a strange path from here to there, but I wish you ever ounce of luck with it.

---

The hunt does indeed go very well, with a good-sized deer taken down quickly and quietly and with no wasted ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by BestUserName View Post
    With a large smile, Clint start examining every inch of the runes, muttering to himself.
    Clint determines conclusively they are not magical in nature. They're just a language he doesn't know. And, in fact, has never seen before.

Night falls quickly out here in the big empty. By the time the meat is prepared and cooked, and the party settled down to eat, it is halfway to full night. The porters and grooms thank the party for the food and tuck in with gusto. Except for Gorm, who doesn't eat the flesh of animals, "In my family we hold to Keeper ways" he says.

Barrad the groom stays near the horses and looks anxious. "The horses'r'restless," he says, "Mebbe the kill has drawn predators. I dunno. None of them will come near a fire, but there's sommat out there all the same."
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-11-08 at 09:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

"We'll keep watch. I promise that we'll see you guys safely through this," Heart says. "Speaking of that, we should set up a watch schedule! Six of us, so three shifts with two each sounds good. I'd rather not take a watch with Clint-just cause I already know him, so what'd we even talk about? I'd be happy to take first or third watch, but rather not second. Interrupting my sleep gets me cranky."

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Arabella accepts the rod from Serien, though a brief look of uncertainty crosses her face in the process. Do I ask where this came from or what it is used for? No. Best to accept and move on. She prepares the spit and soon the deer is cooking.

After the meal and the sky has grown dark, she sits with the others near the fire as one of the grooms expresses his disquiet. Though familiar with the animals, Arabella has only a certain amount of skill dealing with them and trusts the man’s judgment. With Heart discussing a watch rota, she looks over at the woman. ”I am an early riser. I will take the third watch.”

25. - Top - End - #25

After investigating the ruins, Clinton sits by the fire with everyone.

To no one in particular, "Those runes are certainly interesting. There is nothing magical about them. I wish I could discern there purpose. "

When shifts are discussed, Clinton chimes in, "I would prefer first or third shift so my sleep is uninterrupted if possible. As for predators, should we just keep our eyes peeled or should we look around to make sure nothing is here.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Howl listens to the conversations around the fire as everyone eats their dinner. Even without much in the way of seasoning, warm deer soup was a pretty wonderful change of pace from stale and dry hardtack. “If it’s all the same to everyone I’ll like to take first watch. Sleeping in is one of the few luxuries I’d hate to give up if I can help it.

You know, if Heart and I take first watch, Serien and Tirnelion take on second watch, then Clinton and Arabella could handle third watch. This way each watch could have at least one magician, one person trained to be observant, and one excellent combatant; all the while respecting everyone’s stated watch placement desires

27. - Top - End - #27

Heart nods as she munches on a large chunk of meat from her bowl. "Sounds like a good plan. If there's no objections, you should probably all be getting some sleep!"

As the sun begins to descend, Heart looks around and makes sure there's at least a few good spots to squirrel away if hiding is needed. Once she's satisfied with that, she finds a comfy spot to observe from, and begins to chat up Howl. "So... Talk to me, about you," she starts. "I haven't really gotten to know you yet-it's been nice traveling with you, but stories and tall tales from a troubadour don't really give you a sense of the man behind them, you know?"

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Night falls. The burning of the fire is the only light for what seems like forever. Here, on the flat plain between the rising forested lend to the north and the swiftly-flowing river to the south, it feels very exposed, very vulnerable. This is the Borderlands, the Wilds, anything could be out here, very little of it friendly, and the fire would draw eyes from miles and miles around.

Far in the distance, where the hazy outline of the Old Keep was spotted, some tiny flickering light. Perhaps a fire. Perhaps torches.

The grooms and porters insist on standing watch as well. They draw lots and Plut gets to sleep the night through (much to his lazy heart's delight). And the others each choose. Barrad first, Gorm second, Duskin third.

First Watch (Heart, Howl, Barrad)
    Barrad tells some stories of his youth. He is well past middle-age and speaks in a simple but compelling voice. Growing up in the small duchy of Rheave. His abusive mother. His brief turn as a soldier. His many years handling horses for nobles and merchants.

Other than that, the night is warm and quiet.

Near the end of the watch, Heart hears some rustling among some shrubs nearby. It could be just an animal, but she thinks she hears low mumbling that might be furtive speech. However, looking through the shrubs does not reveal anyone. And the sounds do not recur.

Second Watch (Tirnelion, Serien, Gorm)
    Gorm the porter is not very pleased about being awake and sits, mostly quiet and brooding, throughout the watch. He speaks somewhat of his boyhood dreams of becoming a great wizard, but being too poor and not smart enough to secure a patron for a college.

The watch passes without incident.

Third Watch (Clint, Arabella, Duskin)
    Duskin is a young man, and handling animals has been his family's trade for generations. He likes horses, and is good with them, but his real passion is breeding and training hunting and guard dogs. He speaks wistfully of the dogs he'd raised and trained in his family's ancestral ranch before drought and famine forced him to leave home and travel to new lands. Someday, though, he says, he will have a new ranch, and be famous around the world for his animals.

About an hour before dawn, Clint hears furtive movement down near the road. A short walk down there, however, does not turn anyone up.

Morning
    As dawn lights the sky, everyone awakes and starts packing up for the day.

29. - Top - End - #29

As she trades shifts, Heart is sure to mention the sounds she heard to the new watchers.

Come morning, she stretches her arms and yawns, before getting to her feet and folding up the bedroll. "Morning everyone!" she says cheerily. "Anything eventful happen while I was asleep?"

She helps prepare breakfast and pack up the camp, and once everyone is ready, takes point to travel for the day.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Having meditated during Heart, Howl & Barrad's watch, Tiernelion had remained awake during the remaining two shifts of watch. He listened as Gorm spoke of his wizardly aspirations, but was not encouraging of the endeavor. He felt, rightfully so, that the man's aspirations outpaced his talents, however, the human psyche was odd, and often bolstered when told that a thing was not possible.

It was the evening sky, as it paled while the sun began to crest the horizon that held his attention. Clint moved up the road, his attention drawn by some activity in the wild brush along the side of the road. Tirnelion moved with him, silently, to ensure that whatever had drawn his attention was not hostile, however, as the wizard seemingly lost the trail, the tall elf stepped from the shadows and accompanied him, "I apologize, the reverie associated with the dawn distracted mine eyes, what is it that you observed?"