New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD5E-IC]Adventures in the Borderlands, Chapter 0

"Serien, if they're saying anything I need to know, please tell me," Heart says softly. She then speaks up, saying to the kobolds "We can offer our help. If there is anything that troubles you, we can try to aid you. We wish to see this resolved peacefully."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Arabella, Howl. Camphor informed me that there is a giant dire rat stuck in a old metal trap. Seems my assumption of an ambush was incorrect. How should we deal with this rat?
    Thank You Ninja Chocobo for the awesome portrait! I inherited it from The Bush Ranger.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Howl laughs good-naturedly at Arabella’s comment. “Yeah it was pretty cacophonous, wasn’t it?

Howl considers Clint’s report from Campher.

It doesn’t seem right to let a animal just languish in a trap in agony. I’m gonna talk to it and if I can convince it not to bite, I’m gonna free it. Can one of you come with me to make sure it’s not some strange Kobold trap?

If his companions are willing to join him, Howl marches over the few hundred feet to the trapped rodent (trying to be as aware of any potential ambushes as possible). If and when he gets to about 20 feet from the animal he speaks to it.

Hungry?” He tosses some hardtack from his rations to the beast. “Can I help free you?

Spoiler: Dice Rolls
    Show
    Perception Check: (1d20+1)[20]

Persuasion Check: (1d20+5)[12]
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

”That was not said in jest,” Arabella mutters, slightly chagrined. Nonetheless, with Clint’s information she takes a moment to consider as Howl suggests going to free the creature.

”Does it not seem strange,” she says slowly, the thought still coalescing, ”that we are being separated? The first was voluntary but this seems an unlikely coincidence, does it not?” She glances around but, not confident in her ability to spot a hidden danger, grimaces faintly.

”I will remain with the others. My advice would be to simply put the creature out of its misery unless you have magic to aid it. Even then, be wary: it is a wild animal.”

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

"I understand," Serien replies to the gatekeeper. "I am about to do a little magic so that I can translate your words for my companion. Please do not be alarmed."

Fingers dancing their quick little rhythm, he speaks to Heart in Centron. "They say their leader has forbidden them to speak with outsiders. If we do not go away, their orders are to attack. I will ask them if we can speak with the leader in person, but if not it would probably be best to retreat."

"Would it be possible for Olvirk to speak with us directly?" Serien asks, turning back to the little reptilian.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

1. THE ROAD
    When Howl approaches the creature to offer it assistance, he keeps a wary eye all about him. And, sure enough, when he's about 20 feet away from the massive yowling rat, he sees little yellow eyes lurking in the darkness of some nearby tunnels, and more little yellow eyes lurking in the bushes to either side.

He meets the gaze of one of them, it yells a warning, there is the blast of a horn from the keep's walls and a few things happen all at once.

From some gates and tunnels in the nearby wall come running several kobolds wearing mismatched bits of armor and carrying spears. At the same time, a second massive rat emerges with a kobold riding it, wielding a sling. That kobold cries out single word and the rat in the trip leaps up, and it turns out its leg wasn't caught at all, and it readies to attack.

2. THE GATE
    The kobold seems to consider Serien's question when there is a horn blast from inside the keep and the kobold utters another couple of curses in Undercommon and says, "No can do. Olvirk says fight. You should run. Now."

And two kobolds pop up on top of the parapet, swirling slings over their heads.

Spoiler: Combat Map!
    Show

(Using Sheets was an excellent idea, JNAPropductions! Thank you!)

Sheets doesn't do layers well. So if you click on the background all the little tokens vanish. But don't panic. Just clock somewhere on the white space and they should all come back.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

This is my first time using Google Sheets for this purpose, so we'll all learn as we go.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

"Negotiations have broken down," Serien reports to Heart. "Run back and alert the others." He backs down the path himself but doesn't run, instead undoing the knot of the flag and covering himself with the now-white cloak again.

At the gate, the still-active illusion spell cries out in Undercommon, loudly enough that even kobolds behind the walls might hear. "Olvirk brings this upon you."

Then it explodes into a bloodcurdling roar echoed from behind the sorcerer's own mask, sound no living creature could make and leave its throat intact. Serien levels his rod at one of the slingers, and the length of blackened metal is engulfed in flame that lances out towards the kobold.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Moving 30 feet back down the path, then casting Fire Bolt at the nearest kobold slinger.

Fire Bolt
    Attack: (1d20+6)[14]
    Damage: (1d10)[5]

Any kobolds who hear the roar can make an Intelligence (Investigation) check as an action at DC 14 to tell that there isn't really some terrible monster outside their keep. Except the gatekeeper and ones with slings, I suppose they can actually see there is no such monster.

Unless you count Serien.

8. - Top - End - #68

Heart nods, telling Serien "Be safe, friend," before sprinting back.

Show
    I have an OOC question! I'm 50' away from which side of the map?

Because I can move 60' without Dashing, thanks to Feline Agility.

And, looking at the map more, I see that it's Arabella and Clint that are 50' away. I'm at the gate-how far away am I? I'm moving back 120' round 1, 60' thereafter.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #69

Spoiler: OOC for Heart
    Show
    If you scroll back and look at the picture of the keep I posted, you two are where the 1 is, and the others are converging basically where the little compass is.

So you're several hundred feet away. I would say about 300'.

10. - Top - End - #70

Waiting with the grooms and the horses, Arabella steadies her breathing as she feels the tension of a coiled spring radiate through her body. Suddenly, there’s the deep blast of a horn from roughly the direction Howl had gone. Expecting the worst, the spring released and she takes off in a dead sprint.

Moving fast, she spies her companion ahead and, rapidly reaching him, pulls to a stop just in front. Eyes darting around, she sees the rodent - now manifestly not a dragon - as well as a few kobolds nearby. ”Stay behind me,” she says to Howl in a firm voice, glaive at the ready.

Show
    Arabella used her Move and Action to run 60ft, then her bonus Dash to go another 30ft to just in front of Howl - between him and the rodent. Can’t seem to move her marker on mobile but will do so later.
    Last edited by Silent_p; 2020-12-08 at 08:30 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Clint gives a reassuring look to the grooms.

"Keep the animals calm, we will handle whatever this is. Also please watch Hearts weapons.

Clint takes a second to look through Camphor's eyes and see the combatants.

Crap, I hope they are okay at the Keep He then calls to Camphor in his mind. Go check on Heart and Serien.

With that Clint chases after Arabella and Howl. He is somewhat behind them still.

Show
    Clint used his action to look through Camphor's eyes, then moved 30 feet forwards towards combat. Camphor uses movement and action going 120ft
    Last edited by BestUserName; 2020-12-12 at 05:10 PM.
    Thank You Ninja Chocobo for the awesome portrait! I inherited it from The Bush Ranger.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Something between a grin and bemusement struggles across Howl’s face as the kobolds attempt to spring their trap (So much for diplomacy). The youthful genasi draws his Longsword out of its holster in his backpack. As Arabella charges into position, Howl steps diagonally behind her. “Thanks for the support, Arabella. I feel a lot more safe with you out here on the frontline.

Seeing the three kobolds clustered in the mouth of the tunnel, Howl closes his eyes softly for a moment and chants several words of Old Sumarran before lifting his hands like an orchestra conductor, and dramatically dropping them to complete the silent crescendo of his spell.

Show
    Howl moves back to Arabella’s reach and the Tree at K20 are between him and the enemies

Howl grants Bardic Inspiration to Arabella

Howl draws his Longsword

Howl casts Sleep centered on H2
    HP put to sleep: (5d8)[21]

13. - Top - End - #73

1. AT THE GATE
    Heart races back down the dusty path and full speed, far faster than a human should be able to move.

Serien backs away and hurls a fiery bolt at the kobolds on the wall. It strikes, and the little reptilian creature burst into flames and falls from the wall. At the same time he bellows out an impossibly monstrous sound.

The remaining kobold looks frightened, terrified even, and seems to consider the possibility of running, but stands firm. He turns and tells out "OLVIRK HELP!" in Draconic and hurls a single sling stone down at Serien.

But misses. Rather egregiously.

Show

K7 (half-cover) - hit by Fire Bolt for 5 damage. RIP
    K8 (half-cover)
    -Rolls Wis save vs Fear. PASS.
    -Attacks Serien with sling (Disadvantage). MISS!

2. THE CLEARING
    The three kobolds running from the tunnel at top speed, little legs pumping, are enveloped by Howl's magic and fall asleep in mid-step and face plant onto the dirt.

The one hiding near the wall sneaks forward to hide behind a thick bush and hurls a slingstone at Howl. But it's just a little too far and he misses.

The one hiding farther out moves forward a bit, staying behind cover, and yells out what seems to be commands to the giant rat, in a language none of you recognize.

The mounted kobold urges his rodent-mount on, it runs across the clearing, fast but ungainly, as he throws a slingstone at Arabella. It hits, but bounces off her armour ineffectually.

The nearest rat dashes forward and lunges at Arabella, its long and filthy teeth raking across her thigh.

UPDATED MAP

Show

K1, K2, K3 - ASLEEP!
    K4- moves to half-cover, gives orders to big rat
    K5(mounted) - Attacks Arabella (with Disadvantage). MISS!
    K6 - Moves to three-quarters cover, attacks Howl (with Disadvantage). MISS!
    DR1 - Moves, attacks Arabella. HIT! 1 Damage.
    DR2 (Mounted) - Double Move

Arabella: please make a DC10 Con Save or be Diseased.
    Clint: do you want to retroactively order Camphor to bring Heart her daggers? Say 60 feet to make it to you, and then 60 more feet toward Heart and drop them on the path?

14. - Top - End - #74

Heart continues her dashing. She looks back to make sure Serien is doing okay, but trusts the strange man to fend for himself, and get the heck out if he needs to.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #75

Distracted briefly by a stone hitting her shoulder, Arabella winces as the rat's teeth bite into her leg briefly. She shifts her stance, moving back slightly as she swings her glaive around, slashing down at the rodent.

Show
    Attack vs rodent 1: (1d20+6)[9] +1 from Bardic Inspiration = 10
    Damage, if it hits: (1d10+4)[9]
    Last edited by Silent_p; 2020-12-12 at 04:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Shrieking, banshee-like laughter sounds as the first flaming corpse tumbles from the parapet. "Olvirk cannot help you," both of Serien's voices scream. "It is Olvirk for whom you die!"

Backing further down the path, he sends another bolt of fire in the second slinger's direction.

Show
    Moving another 30 feet back on the path, then casting Fire Bolt at the remaining slinger.

Fire Bolt
    Attack: (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: (1d10)[7]

Now speaking Draconic.

17. - Top - End - #77

Clint see the rat attack his companion and shout out,
    Damn rat! It was a trap. Arabella, you okay?

With that, he points his staff at the rat and mutters a few words in old Sumarran. The tip of his staff glows bright red and a dart of fire launches from the tip at the rat.

After Camphor drops hearts weapons on the path, they continue towards the keep to survey the scene.

Show

truemane yes please that would be great. Camphor grabs the daggers and drops them on the path for Heart. This turn Camphor uses move and action to go 120ft to check on Serien.

Clint moves 30 ft forward and fires a firebolt at the Dire rat attacking Arabella. I want clintbto be two spaces behind Howl.

Attack(1d20+5)[8]
    Damage (1d10)[4]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Howl wheels up along Arabella’s left flank and brings his Longsword down in a two-handed strike against the oversized rodent.

Don’t let up on the fire, Clint! They won’t be able to stand up to us for long!

Show
    Howl moves to J27

Longsword Attack: (1d20+4)[18]
    Spending Inspiration: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (1d10+2)[10]
    Extra damage if Crit: (1d10)[6]

Howl grants Bardic Inspiration to Clinton

19. - Top - End - #79

1. THE GATE
    Serien backs away farther from the gate and delivers another dead-one fire strike. The remaining kobold falls from the wall, the smell of singed reptilian flesh sour in the air.

Inside the keep can be heard someone yelling in barely comprehensible Draconic. It sounds like threats, curses, abuse.

Heart continues running down the path. Clint's falcon swoops overhead, and drops her daggers on the path where she can scoop them up without breaking stride.

The falcon continues on up the path toward Serien.

Show

K8 (half-cover) - Hit by Firebolt. 7 damage. RIP

2. THE CLEARING
    Arabella takes the bite and tries to return the favour. However, even with Howl's encouragement, she misses. Howl, however, strikes true. A good clean hit, slashing the creature along its flank.

Clint moves into position hurls a fire bolt at the nearest giant rat, but it moves out of the way and the bolt goes wide, landing in a pile of dead shrubs and sticks, which quickly starts to burn.

The two flanking kobolds move closer, scuttling from cover to cover, the nearest one shoots another stone at Arabella. The other yells in anger as the knight harms the rat, and pulls out a shortsword and charges, yelling at the top of its lungs. Its legs are smaller than its rage, however, and it doesn't reach her yet.

The mounted kobold sweeps across the clearing readying an attack... when the flames from the bushes springs up and the rat is spooked, rears, dumps its rider on the ground, and starts running back toward the safety of the tunnels.

Show

K1, K2, K3 - ASLEEP!
    K4 - charging at Howl
    K5 - prone
    K6 - fire slingstone at Arabella. MISS!

DR1 - hit for 10 damage, very hurt
    DR2 - Frightened

UPDATED MAP

20. - Top - End - #80

Not stopping, she stoops down to snag the weapons and continues her pell-mell run.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #81

The creature in front of her wounded but still standing, Arabella notices a kobold charging forward. Pushing her frustration aside, she takes some encouragement from Howl’s strike and swings again at the rodent.

Show
    Attack roll vs DR1: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage, if hits: (1d10+4)[7]
    Critical damage: [roll]1d10[/roll]

If the rodent is killed, she’ll move to intercept K4.
    Last edited by Silent_p; 2020-12-16 at 03:39 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

As Arabella fells the rat and the kobolds continue their advance, Howl marches up through the small brush fire. Holding his Longsword in his left hand, he grasps the fingers of his right in a fist as he thrusts it into the air. Accompanying his gesture, the fire erupts from a few embers in the grass, to a writhing, vibrant indigo conflagration the size of a bear! The fire’s tendrils intertwine, snake-like, around the young genasi’s body (without ever actually touching it), while reaching out and quivering towards the remaining 3 kobolds on the battlefield, menacingly.

Great gouts of thick, oily smoke effuse devilishly from the inferno as Howl addresses his foes:

Surrender and you can live! Our magicians rain endless fire upon you and our warriors cut down anything they approach. This is your only chance to survive!

Show
    Howl moves to J22, casts Control Flames to manipulate the fire, and speaks to the kobolds.

23. - Top - End - #83

As Howl advances, Clint advances towards the hiding the kobold behind the bush. Clint is steely and calm, betraying no emotions on his face.

He points his staff at the kobold and fires another bolt of fire.

After Howl speaks, Clint adds in.

"I will indeed stop if you surrender, if not we will not hold back any longer.

Show

Clint move up four spaces and over one so I am diagonally 3 away from K6. He then fires a firebolt at K6.

Attk: (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage (1d10)[9]

24. - Top - End - #84

1. THE GATE
    Serien continues to back away from the gate. There is more cursing, more yelling, from inside. But nothing else emerges for the moment.

2. THE CLEARING
    Arabella strikes down one giant rodent steps nimbly to intercept the charging kobold, which swings wildly at her, tears clearly marking its scaly cheeks. One of its mad swings manages to catch the knight on her side.

It then sees Howl wreathed in flames, and along with its sole remaining teammate (the one that fell from the other rodent), throws itself to the ground, still clearly distraught.

"Must fight," it grows in heavily accented Southron, "Or Olvirk kills family."

UPDATED MAP
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-12-22 at 09:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Then we’ll be the ones to end Olvirk’s tyranny, and your families can be free!” Howl declares in Southron, as the fire behind him whips around, collapsing in on itself; ending with a brilliant white flash that punctuates the young man’s bold statement.

26. - Top - End - #86

The kobold’s attack are frantic and Arabella misjudges the last one badly, taking a heavy blow in the side. With the wind nearly knocked out of her, she takes a careful, steadying breath.

The kobold, rather than press the advantage, collapses. Surrendering...? Unsure about the creature’s intentions, she keeps a wary eye and her glaive at the ready.

Show

Arabella will use Second Wind: (1d10+1)[4]
    She will then hold an attack if the kobold acts aggressively toward her or one of her allies.

27. - Top - End - #87

Clint glances at Howl and Arabella briefly after the kobold appear to surrender.

He nods as Howl speaks and adds,

"He speaks true little friends.
    We have no ill will for you, but we need to access this keep. Stay your hand and we can handle Olvirk."

Clint puts a reassuring smile on his face, but keeps his staff forward ready to deal with treachery.

Show
    Clint readies his action to attack if any Kobolds attempt another assault.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

"Arguing, Olvirk?" Serien hisses contemptuously. "No wonder you would not treat with outsiders; you cannot even control your own!"

Final words rising back to a full roar, he holds out a claw-like hand. A roiling ball of flame sparks to life in front of his palm, first red, then white, then blue, before issuing forth in the angriest jet of fire yet.

Show
    Given the way this path winds, I'm not sure how much further Serien can move back without being out of sight of the gate. If he can go any further, he does before casting this latest Fire Bolt at the gate, but if not, he just casts it.

Fire Bolt
    Attack: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d10)[3]

Also, how much longer until the Minor Illusion spell expires? 10 turns haven't passed, but some of that minute may have been spent talking to the gatekeeper.
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-12-26 at 10:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Heart, finally back with the group, sees the surrendering kobold. "Good-we don't want to hurt them more than needed," she says. "They're working under duress-and Serien may be in danger, though he was handling himself well when I left."

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #90

1. THE GATE
    A small shadow appears atop the battlement, fully hidden behind one of the spires of stone.

"The Almighty Olvirk bids you leave his house in peace!" says a high, shrill, erudite voice in Draconic. "Else death find you at the sword points of his legions and the point of his mighty spear!"

2. THE CLEARING
    The kobold that struck Arabella creeps forward across the ground and pokes the dead rodent once, twice, and then puts his head down and his little body is wracked with sobs and he mutters unhappily to himself in Draconic.

(Clint, who can understand him, hears him basically saying 'I'm sorry' over and over again)

The other remaining kobold drops his weapon and backs away, hands held up.

"You. Leave. Now. Olvirk kill. Kill all. Family. Us. You. All. Olvirk all-powerful."

And he breaks and runs for the gates caves in the base of the keep.

Leaving them alone, with the crying kobold, and the three still sleeping soundly on the ground.

And then they hear the clear, shrill voice from the gate. It is clearly magically enhanced.

UPDATED(?) MAP

OOC: And we're out of initiative