New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Can someone give me a quick pro/con of using Inkarnate for a homebrew campaign?

So, I'm just looking at what resources are out there for helping in campaign creation and it seems like Inkarnate is very popular. Would people who are more familiar with that system be willing to give a quick rundown on pros and cons of using it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Can someone give me a quick pro/con of using Inkarnate for a homebrew campaign?

The pro is that the maps looks really nice. I use it myself and I like how they've turned out.

The con is that Inkarnate isn't much of a campaign tool - it's a map-generating tool. That's fine, in and of itself, but that's what it does - no campaign management. (Also, if you really like running hexcrawls, I think other tools might be better suited.)

Granting, I've dedicated more wordcount to the cons over the pros, but being an Inkarnate user, I do think the pros outweigh them.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Can someone give me a quick pro/con of using Inkarnate for a homebrew campaign?

I have used Inkarnate, In my eyes, inkarnate is relatively limited, and definately hamstrings you if you're only using the free vision.

pro: Inkarnate maps will frequently come out looking really good if you are skilled, and allow from great versatility. Inkarnate is a very artistic software.
    con: Inkarnate is very difficult to use, and as mentioned, very artistic. As a result, it struggles somewhat when the "guiding hand" isn't as skilled. Also on that note, inkarnate is a huge time sink. While I enjoy putting time into things to make them look good, every minute I spend on the map is a minute I don't spend on my story.

up to you.

Personally, I use wonderdraft, because it's quicker, has similarly great results, and is eaiser to use. Also, it's a "pay once" software, so that's nice. Also cool, if you want a different feel for your map (say, sci-fi or oriental, rather than western), you can import 3rd party assets that are frequently free.
    When I ask how to get a nail out of piece of wood, please don't tell me why screws are better fastners.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Roc-rocks fall fall and everybody dies-dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    Acid comes in a burlap sack, arrows come in a vase
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Newton's 3rd law of motion seems to apply in 5e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Weaponized chickens will be fed ball bearings. When ready to use, feed them a potion of alche-seltzer, then toss at enemy. Cruel, but effective.