New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Korra

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Korra

Finished Book 2

I can firmly say I'm liking it. It doesn't feel like a children's show. I'm being entertained, not lectured. I'm really liking Mako and Bolin. Mako is not the brooding jerk he appeared to be in the first episode. He's heroic. Bolin is definitely the comic relief, but it's just shy of being like Sokka to be the butt monkey of all the jokes. He's competent and gets his share of heroic glory, not just in the Movers.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Korra

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Finished Book 2

I can firmly say I'm liking it. It doesn't feel like a children's show. I'm being entertained, not lectured. I'm really liking Mako and Bolin. Mako is not the brooding jerk he appeared to be in the first episode. He's heroic. Bolin is definitely the comic relief, but it's just shy of being like Sokka to be the butt monkey of all the jokes. He's competent and gets his share of heroic glory, not just in the Movers.
    Hey you like Book 2? Cool, good on you, that season catches the most hate and flack out of all of Korra and is considered its weakest part. the general consensus I've seen is that it goes up from there. I like it though, because it actually explains how the Avatar and bending thing came to be while keeping it properly mystical while doing so, and providing a reason why the Avatar might be needed in the future: spirits like Vaatu or Hundun might try to mess with things in the future, and Vaatu himself will eventually come back to try and do this all over again
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

#TeamBolin

I liked Book 2 until the finale, which was...
    Spoiler
    Show

Hated Book 3. Disagree with everyone that the villain was good in any way. I'm a very, very small minority there, so you probably won't feel that way.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

#Team Bolin as well.

He is a wonderful archetype figure, the archetype of the fool.

But a specific type of fool which has a wonderful piece of slang but I think some people find it offensive so I will not say the name. To describe it though he is gullible because he is pure of heart and optimistic to the point this can make him naive. His greatest gift but also his curse is that he trusts, and he will continue to trust, to have faith in people and the capability of humans to do good. He has your back for he is loyal to the point he is a human personification of a golden retriever.

This slang often is sometimes included with sexual energy. But the energy is not about physical power, but instead power of personality, temperament, will, but will that is not suffocating or oppressive. It is the will that it grants *other* people agency. A society full of people who trust, who are optimistic, who are pure of heart and with kind intent, whose worse flaw is that they are loyal. Well when you are around such people this type of energy has a sexual energy component for it is the *idealized safe man*, and through relationships other people are capable of "transformation."

----

A wonderful compliment to Mako for he is the opposite side of the coin, two brothers who compliment each other perfectly and thus they are fun to watch.

----

Ramza00 hums 🎶 I need a Hero. 🎶
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-11-05 at 01:40 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I like Bolin well enough, but his plotline in Book 2 is... not good. At all. His relationship with Eska is abusive, but played up for a laugh, which I do not appreciate. And the entire mover sub-plot is a colossal waste of time, with its own share of uncomfortable dynamics - this time with Ginger. He gets better later, but I feel like he's often a vessel for the show's mistimed comic relief - are you sure you want to be making jokes when (spoilers) a terrorist is threatening to kill dozens of airbenders, including the girl you're sweet on?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Morty there is no better time to make jokes, just as long as you keep your head in the game and you do not distract the rhythm of your co-patriots.
    (This of course is an art, getting the timing right, no excess or deficiency, and thus we as the audience find it humorous when the timing is not quite perfect.)

I repeat what others have said, Sokka had a similar energy but his comedic timing was even worse than Bolin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I like Bolin well enough, but his plotline in Book 2 is... not good. At all. His relationship with Eska is abusive, but played up for a laugh, which I do not appreciate. And the entire mover sub-plot is a colossal waste of time, with its own share of uncomfortable dynamics - this time with Ginger. He gets better later, but I feel like he's often a vessel for the show's mistimed comic relief - are you sure you want to be making jokes when (spoilers) a terrorist is threatening to kill dozens of airbenders, including the girl you're sweet on?
    His costume in the Movers is on purpose since he is the Slang Term. When I first saw it I laughed. I should have been bothered by it, especially for those who know my criticisms about The Tomorrow People and the early years of The Flash. However, in this case it worked because it was pomp and cliché as it was meant to be. I was worried at first in Book One when I realized he was the Sokka of the show, but they kept it tame enough everyone in the cast actually likes him instead of just tolerating him because he has to be there.

Sign me up for #TeamBolin

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Working through Book 1, and I wonder... could you Bloodbend yourself, to pre-emptively stop a bloodbender from bloodbending you?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Working through Book 1, and I wonder... could you Bloodbend yourself, to pre-emptively stop a bloodbender from bloodbending you?
    Isn't that what Katara did in Season 3 of the original show? With Katara vs Hama?

If I recall correctly Hama blood bend Katara and said you should have learn the technique before you turned against me (Hama), then Katara relaxed and canceled the blood bending via breathing, saying something to the effect where she is also a waterbender. Then they water bend traditionally for a while. Then Sokka and Aang show up and Hama blood bend them, only for the conflict to end when Katara bloodbend Hama without learning the precise technique just via intuition and superior waterbending mastery.

So yeah Waterbenders can cancel out weaker bloodbenders just via mastery of waterbending [and using things like their breath to regulate their chi.] Note the stuff in brackets is subtext via observation of a scene, it was never precisely said "textually" via narration / diegesis that is how Katara was able to cancel the bloodbending.

----

Now can Waterbenders fly via just blood bending themselves? We do know they can propel water and make other people be above the ground, can a water bender fly via waterbending an ice disk underneath their feet, Magneto Style? Can they do it with the water inside of their own body?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Finished Book 2

Book 2 is... Book 2. The Bolin sup plot with Eska is cringy and has some unfortunate subtext, but there were times where I had a chuckle. The villain is... bad. There are no two ways around it.

But it got us Varrick and that gets it leeway, cuz Varrick is great.

I'm still more annoyed at Book 1 and it's atrocious handling of the Korra/Asami/Mako thing. Like, Korra looks like a terrible person there (cuz she was being a terrible person) and I'm honestly amazed that her and Asami get along as well as they do. It's not a huge deal, but its an entirely unnecessary problem that could have been easily avoided
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I'm still more annoyed at Book 1 and it's atrocious handling of the Korra/Asami/Mako thing. Like, Korra looks like a terrible person there (cuz she was being a terrible person) and I'm honestly amazed that her and Asami get along as well as they do. It's not a huge deal, but its an entirely unnecessary problem that could have been easily avoided
    Having dealt with teenage relationships, I can totally see it. Korra is a bull in a china shop. Mako doesn't want to offend either of them, he feels for both of them, and is a ****ing idiot. Asami was hurt (emotionally), but the two of them worked it out (especially, IIRC, after season 2 or 3, where they were pen pals while Korra was recuperating).

And, right now, nothing is more natural than the relationship between Tenzin and his siblings.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Having dealt with teenage relationships, I can totally see it. Korra is a bull in a china shop. Mako doesn't want to offend either of them, he feels for both of them, and is a ****ing idiot. Asami was hurt (emotionally), but the two of them worked it out (especially, IIRC, after season 2 or 3, where they were pen pals while Korra was recuperating).

And, right now, nothing is more natural than the relationship between Tenzin and his siblings.
    Ya, but it far more commonly goes the other way. Asami walked in on Mako "cheating" on her (more accurately, Mako being a deer in the headlights as Korra just grabbed him) and I can honestly see her never talking to him again. Thats an entirely normal reaction.

And then it goes nowhere. Like, Korra and Mako are a thing for what? 8 episodes, where they break up early in Book 2 in one of the dumbest most overly dramatic fights I've ever seen?

Come on writers, you made Korra look like an absolute b**** for pretty much no payoff. Why didn't they just have Asami and Mako split up and then have Korra sweep in? Less drama, but it's still there for playing around with tension, much easier to patch things up, and Korra doesn't look awful. Simple.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Some Korra fans I just do not get Yes Avatar the Last Airbender is better plotted (plus it has some different writers) but that was because it was plan to be at least 3 arcs when it was first pitched. The story was crafted as a multi part epic from the beginning.

1) Korra was originally going to be a miniseries and not a tv show.

2) The miniseries was so popular it got subsequent seasons.

3)Then the writers were scrambling to publish as fast as possible due to their agreement with Nick. Yes some aspects of the writting suffered but it is still a very high quality show. It just does not FLOW like ATLA did.

4) And then after they started getting money and the show was already in production did Nick start backtracking with its promises for they realized the show had good ratings, but not the target age demographic ratings that Nick caters to and how they sell "ads" to a younger audience. Nick wants to know before hand if this is going to be an all girl show, an all boy show, or a mix show. An all boy show or all girl show is prefered for it is easier to sell gendered toys. Likewise when you have teenagers and adults like the show while the existing relationship you have with advertisers is a younger audience you do not get as good of ad rates. Etc, etc. Thus Nick decide to put the episodes on the web for while Korra got good ratings, it did not get useful ratings.

5) Thus even though Season 3 and 4 have better writting than 2 and 1 some aspects of those later seasons suffered such as having a clip show in Season 4. Making TV is hard, especially if there is conflict between the various "layers" of collaboration such as the writers, producers, people who paid for it, and so on.

Rant almost over
    Spoiler: Rant continues with a gif
    Show

So yeah I do not get some Korra fans that are full of complaints. I guess that is on me, not them.

Yet simultaneously there whole complaint is Korra is not what they wanted. Or they like it but it did not have perfect flow like ATLA did. Well is that on you or the show itself?

Remember ATLA had some cringe relationship stuff but we forgive it and find it funny and enduring for the main character is 12, while Korra in Book 1 is 17. Well let me remind you of a secret 17 year olds are bad at dating, bad at many things, yet are hypercompetent at other things to the point they are like younger adults. The being good at A and B while stinking at X, Y, and Z is part of nature of being a teenager, just like 12 to 17 year olds may have weird limb proportions for are in a middle of a growth spurt. Puberty and youth "stink."

And ATLA humor is cringe if the character were not young kids, not just with the relationship stuff. What Toph does at 12 and as a girl (with a blind tomboy persona) would not be as funny if she was instead a male in her 20s. After all Toph was originally going to be a 16 year old muscular boy* who was an earthbender, a foil with Sokka that butted heads in a macho fashion but they writers realized this did not work, and thus they redid several things and we get the wonderful character of Toph.

*The intro design of the earth bender was the original design for Toph per interviews. Aaron Ehasz head writer for ATLA, but not the two show creators Bryan Konietzko-and Mike Dimartino, is the one who suggested making Toph a 12 year old girl. Note Aaron Ehasz did not work with Korra, but has done other fantasy stuff like Netflix's The Dragon Prince.

-----

Now when I say some of the ATLA humor is cringe, I personally find it endearing for humor is a subjective thing. It is a mixture of ingredients and someone can have the same sensory experience but have a different opinion of whether the thing is good or bad.

Sorry if my rant is a little too intense.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Finished Book 2

Glad you're enjoying it. If you've liked it so far, you're probably going to wind up quite happy with it overall, as books 1 and 2 are easily and by far the weakest parts of the show (book 1 more so than book 2 IMO, due to pacing problems and the love triangle). It only really found its footing once it got to book 3, IMO, which I consider the best season personally.

Sad that it took that long though, as I bailed on it after book 2 during its original TV run, and didn't return until hearing about the finale made me go "wait, what?", and looking for cursory info about how that had happened made me come across a lot of people saying the show had picked up after book 2, which finally prompted me to watch them.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    1) Korra was originally going to be a miniseries and not a tv show.

2) The miniseries was so popular it got subsequent seasons.
    That's a common belief but it isn't actually true. The creators themselves said that they had been slated for 3 seasons from the get go.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a common belief but it isn't actually true. The creators themselves said that they had been slated for 3 seasons from the get go.
    Source?

To my understanding of the production.

• 2010: Korra is announced at Comic Con. The goal was for a 2011 show and 12 episodes were greenlit. (The original Season 1 miniseries)
    • During the production of Season 1 they did not hit their goal for 2011 but also during 2011 Nick decided to have 26 episodes now (Season 1 and 2). The miniseries original idea has now become a TV show.
    • Korra Season 1 aired in 2012 during the months of April to June.
    • By July 2012 at that Comic Con it was announced that Nick was going to do 52 episodes over a total of 4 books.
    • Season 2 aired 2013 Sept to Nov, Season 3 aired 2014 with June to August, Season 4 aired 2014 with Oct to Dec.

I am basing this off one of the two show runners own tumblr blog from 2012. Posted within 24 hours of that comic con 2012 that I referenced earlier.

https://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/po...w-but-it-still

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

And I'm left here wondering how it matters either way. I don't particularly care WHY the writing is weak and the characters unlikeable, just that they ARE. I didn't care back when Heroes went to **** "because of the writer's strike" back in the day, and I've cared less and less as time goes on. If it's bad, it's bad.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-11-06 at 07:21 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have to agree there, not about Korra just about the general point that it doesn't really matters to the quality level I perceive why something turned out bad. If I was judging the writers skills sure that matters. And it sucks when quality suffers from outside circumstances but it still suffers. But that something might have been better if not X does not make it better.

There are some cases where such info does change my perception a bit, like weird consorship in things would probably bother me more if I had no idea why it happens. But in general a work is what it is and the backstory how it came to be that way, while interesting, doesn't change much about how good or bad it is.

Edit: Although looking back at the beginning of the tangent Ramza's response was to the author being criticized for something directly, for that it does matter.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2020-11-06 at 08:16 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Ya, but it far more commonly goes the other way. Asami walked in on Mako "cheating" on her (more accurately, Mako being a deer in the headlights as Korra just grabbed him) and I can honestly see her never talking to him again. Thats an entirely normal reaction.

And then it goes nowhere. Like, Korra and Mako are a thing for what? 8 episodes, where they break up early in Book 2 in one of the dumbest most overly dramatic fights I've ever seen?

Come on writers, you made Korra look like an absolute bitch for pretty much no payoff. Why didn't they just have Asami and Mako split up and then have Korra sweep in? Less drama, but it's still there for playing around with tension, much easier to patch things up, and Korra doesn't look awful. Simple.
    I really see the Korra/Mako fight as being pretty reasonable... they're both trying to do what they think is right and their duty, but they conflict between Mako's desire to work as a cop, and Korra's sense that, as avatar, she should be taking the lead and DOING something. It's compounded by Korra's pretty well documented inability to see anyone else's point of view. They don't really have the option of not talking to each other; their social circles are too entwined (I mean, they pretty much ARE each other's social circle... Asami's lost her mother and father, and seems to have no other friends or peers; Mako has been with no one but Bolin and Korra and series of pro bending teammates who hate him).

You've got three beautiful young people, getting thrown into each other by circumstances, with differing ideas of what needs to be done. Korra wants to be in charge and doing things. Mako wants to be supercop. Asami wants to save her business. All of them are working to help the southern water tribe, but their differing goals and personalities means that they're bouncing off each other.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-11-06 at 08:37 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

I really love Tenzin as a secondary character in this show.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    I really love Tenzin as a secondary character in this show.
    My only issue with Tenzin is that he didn't really ask for any pictures of Spider-Man.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Source?

To my understanding of the production.

• 2010: Korra is announced at Comic Con. The goal was for a 2011 show and 12 episodes were greenlit. (The original Season 1 miniseries)
    • During the production of Season 1 they did not hit their goal for 2011 but also during 2011 Nick decided to have 26 episodes now (Season 1 and 2). The miniseries original idea has now become a TV show.
    • Korra Season 1 aired in 2012 during the months of April to June.
    • By July 2012 at that Comic Con it was announced that Nick was going to do 52 episodes over a total of 4 books.
    • Season 2 aired 2013 Sept to Nov, Season 3 aired 2014 with June to August, Season 4 aired 2014 with Oct to Dec.

I am basing this off one of the two show runners own tumblr blog from 2012. Posted within 24 hours of that comic con 2012 that I referenced earlier.

https://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/po...w-but-it-still
    Right here Exact quote at just after a minute:
    "Before we even aired Book One, we had already been booked till Book Four"

So ya, they knew.

I really see the Korra/Mako fight as being pretty reasonable... they're both trying to do what they think is right and their duty, but they conflict between Mako's desire to work as a cop, and Korra's sense that, as avatar, she should be taking the lead and DOING something. It's compounded by Korra's pretty well documented inability to see anyone else's point of view. They don't really have the option of not talking to each other; their social circles are too entwined (I mean, they pretty much ARE each other's social circle... Asami's lost her mother and father, and seems to have no other friends or peers; Mako has been with no one but Bolin and Korra and series of pro bending teammates who hate him).

You've got three beautiful young people, getting thrown into each other by circumstances, with differing ideas of what needs to be done. Korra wants to be in charge and doing things. Mako wants to be supercop. Asami wants to save her business. All of them are working to help the southern water tribe, but their differing goals and personalities means that they're bouncing off each other.
    She punts a desk across the room (no one comments, and yes I know that was meant for comedy but it really didn't work) and then goes from yelling to it's over in like... 30 seconds. It's so short and then her and Asami go and start doing the Oh hey, we both dated Mako, lets make fun of the things Mako did to bond" which would have been fine if Korra hadn't stole Mako from Asami. Like, I was waiting for Asami to just casually drop that at one point to show how annoyed she still was at Korra, cuz Korra still hadn't apologized.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    And I'm left here wondering how it matters either way. I don't particularly care WHY the writing is weak and the characters unlikeable, just that they ARE. I didn't care back when Heroes went to **** "because of the writer's strike" back in the day, and I've cared less and less as time goes on. If it's bad, it's bad.
    It matters because, even if it doesn't change your opinion on the show, it's good to at least have an answer why. It at least explains things. Helps you know who to hold at fault for the show getting screwed around coughNickcough.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    My only issue with Tenzin is that he didn't really ask for any pictures of Spider-Man.
    Aubrey Plaza as Eska is immensely fun for similar reasons.
    The Cranky Gamer

25. - Top - End - #25

Aubrey Plaza as Eska is immensely fun for similar reasons.
    I tend to dislike her, but she was prefect for Eska.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Now can Waterbenders fly via just blood bending themselves?
    Sounds like a good way to accidentally tear open your blood vessels and bleed to death.

I thought the season one romance was a cut above your standard depictions of teen romance.

Nick extended the show, which led to problems as Korra with the Avatar State is just too powerful to be easily threatened.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She didn't really feel in danger again after season 1

However, I thought they missed a golden opportunity for future seasons just by removing the
    Spoiler: season 1
    Show
    bloodbended powers coming back. A powerless Korra now gets to experience the prejudice against nonbenders firsthand.

I think Korra overall was a step up from Avatar, but it never got back to the heights of season 1.

"We want more episodes" doesn't really qualify for execs screwing around for me. It's the eternal problem with TV. You never know how many series you'll get until well into production.
    Last edited by Sapphire Guard; 2020-11-06 at 12:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

The Eska thing was a little bother, but what saved it for me is everyone agreeing Eska was totally in the wrong and no one teased Bolin about it. They were trying to convince him to break it off until he finally did. (And then he didn't but Eska changed, a little) It was played straight, not for laughs or at least not butt monkey laughs. The show gave Bolin respect even as Eska didn't.

I liked the love triangle in Book One because it showed Korra was not Miss Perfect Mary Sue. Other aspects of the show in both seasons show she isn't Mary Sue either. That's a good thing. I can like her and root for her without being ordered to. She can make mistakes, fail, and have things be her fault. Her friends get to be the heroes too. They can save her and save the day sometimes. They can be right and she wrong.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Hated Book 3. Disagree with everyone that the villain was good in any way. I'm a very, very small minority there, so you probably won't feel that way.
    Really? Season 3 was my favourite, especially the villian. He's got a clear ideology which happens to be at odds with Korra; I don't agree with his ideology or the methods he uses, but he's definitely understandable.

For Korra, they purposely set up all the villians different to ATLA; Aang mostly had his head screwed on straight, but was passive and didn't like confrontation, ergo the best villians to have as a counterpoint were those who challenged him physically.

Korra is much different from Aang - raised in peaceful times (pro bending is a sport, not a combat style ), hyper confident and well trained, she's aggressive and very physical. In this case, more physically powerful villians wouldn't be interesting as it would just be re-hash of DBZ with them powering up at each other, so most of her villians challenge her ideology and beliefs.
    As an example, Amon had a point - organised crime benders were busy terrorising the civilians, so helping them form self defence leagues (or militias by another name) is a perfectly reasonable response.

Morty there is no better time to make jokes, just as long as you keep your head in the game and you do not distract the rhythm of your co-patriots.
    (This of course is an art, getting the timing right, no excess or deficiency, and thus we as the audience find it humorous when the timing is not quite perfect.)
    I agree with this - black humour has a long tradition, especially in the military, where death, pain and suffering is omnipresent. The spartans were famous for this, from 'that's nice, we'll fight in the shade' to 'If'.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Really? Season 3 was my favourite, especially the villian. He's got a clear ideology which happens to be at odds with Korra; I don't agree with his ideology or the methods he uses, but he's definitely understandable.
    He was a fine villian and it was a fine season - in my view.

However he was also a fairly poorly designed character from a world narrative prespective.

Effectively he was merely given his abilities (and more importantly his proficency) due to rule of cool - which nobody else in the series (or the previous series) benefits from, yes they unlock powers but only after already effectively being highly proficent beforehand and struggling to gain that proficiency, Zaheer just gets given what he needs to be a rival to anyone he faces without any real work or time on his part to acheive such.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Zaheer was one dead girlfriend away from achieving actual, full on zen void of self. Dude is one of the most spiritually connected people we've seen in the series, I feel like he kinda earned what he gets.