New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Korra

1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Korra

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Finished Book Three. Feeling sorry for Mako. It appears to me he got demoted to a glorified extra. He has good ideas, but he mostly reacts and gets a line to remind everyone he's there. However, I do give him credit for being supportive of his brother. Still on Team Bolin.
    If there's anyone on this show that I pity, it's Mako. He showed potential when he was first introduced, but it was strangled in the first two seasons by terrible romance. In seasons three and four, he broke from that, but he was then immediately relegated to the background and wasn't allowed to bloom as the writers decided that Tenzin was a better straight man character. Thus, Mako lives on as the worst character of the show, and it's not really his fault.
    Last edited by Celestia; 2020-11-30 at 09:25 AM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

The Rememberance episode was unnecessary and dumb. Was there a writers' strike at the time? There was no point to it. I have mixed feelings about Varrick's story on Bolin. I believe Varrick is sincere when he praises Bolin while grossly exaggerating his accomplishments, but Bolin's story could have been fine as is. He was terrific the previous episode saving the refugees and being the Hero. He didn't have to save them, but he knew yes he did and he did. Varrick may have a point, though. Perhaps Bolin doesn't get enough credit/respect he deserves from those who matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

The Rememberance episode was unnecessary and dumb. Was there a writers' strike at the time? There was no point to it. I have mixed feelings about Varrick's story on Bolin. I believe Varrick is sincere when he praises Bolin while grossly exaggerating his accomplishments, but Bolin's story could have been fine as is. He was terrific the previous episode saving the refugees and being the Hero. He didn't have to save them, but he knew yes he did and he did. Varrick may have a point, though. Perhaps Bolin doesn't get enough credit/respect he deserves from those who matter.
    I think there was to a degree, but also I think it was definitely the creators expressing that they understood a lot of people disliked early Korra, so here is some good natured dunking on Mako and season 2.

Varrick is correct by the way, Bolin deserves way more than he gets in a lot of ways.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

The show's budget got cut, so they had to make do with a clip show episode. You seem to have really missed the point of Varric's segment, though. It wasn't meant to praise Bolin or tell any kind of accurate story. He was just showboating like he always is.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    If there's anyone on this show that I pity, it's Mako. He showed potential when he was first introduced, but it was strangled in the first two seasons by terrible romance. In seasons three and four, he broke from that, but he was then immediately relegated to the background and wasn't allowed to bloom as the writers decided that Tenzin was a better straight man character. Thus, Mako lives on as the worst character of the show, and it's not really his fault.
    Agreed, Mako was a smart, sharp badass but they just really didn't know what to do with him after Season 1. It doesn't help that he was already the "adult" on the team in a lot of ways, so he didn't really have any personal growth or things to grapple with. None of his subplots (the Investigation vs. the two useless detectives, protecting Korra, guarding the Earth King) changed him at all: it was always just "Mako is competent but he has to put up with X now."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Finished. It wouldn't be Anime without giant robots, nuclear blasts, and city destruction. Not thrilled with that. Even accepting the technological advance it didn't fit the story. This isn't Robotech. For the record I wasn't happy when the blasting and destruction happened in Akira either, but that's the genre of Anime.

I agree Mako has been given a disservice. I was just thinking how useless he was in the last few episodes then he does his heroic sacrifice. I'm glad it wasn't a true sacrifice. Bolin gets his own heroic moments at the end.

Overall I did like the show. I prefer Avatar, but this was fine. I'm glad I finally saw it.
    Last edited by Pex; 2020-12-22 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

I agree Mako has been given a disservice. I was just thinking how useless he was in the last few episodes then he does his heroic sacrifice. I'm glad it wasn't a true sacrifice. B.
    Think of his as of a guy who was such a horrible boyfriend he turned two of his girlfriends gay :D