Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 53 of 53
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    gomipile's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    On a related note, it's long been my opinion that in alien invasion films this should be the kind of thing that the aliens are after, rather than something like water or metal that's stupid common on uninhabited planets
    Back in the 1980s some science fiction writers wrote a treatment on how they'd fix the V miniseries in a proposed sequel series. Part of it was revealing the aliens to be the descendents of an intelligent dinosaur species who had escaped Earth during an extinction event. They're back because Earth still "feels right" to them biologically, so they'd rather conquer Earth than live anywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    On a related note, it's long been my opinion that in alien invasion films this should be the kind of thing that the aliens are after, rather than something like water or metal that's stupid common on uninhabited planets
    I agree that coming to earth for water or metals is stupid. If they have the technology for travel between stars, I'd expect them to be using energy sources well beyond oil and coal too.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bohandas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    I agree that coming to earth for water or metals is stupid. If they have the technology for travel between stars, I'd expect them to be using energy sources well beyond oil and coal too.
    I was actually thinking more about the oil being used for plastics.
    Omegaupdate Forum

    WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

    PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

    Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

    Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

    If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. -Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5, Scene 1

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2019

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I was actually thinking more about the oil being used for plastics.
    But Titan alone has entire seas of Hydrocarbons.

    Why not go there?

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Honestly the only real reason to invade Earth is life in particular.
    In Prey (the 2017 one) the aliens somehow feed on intelligence so of course they don't attack empty rocks and in the The Three-Body Problem trilogy Earth id attacked because A) it's the closest inhabitable world and B) the whole universe is trapped in a logic of pre-emptive strikes against other civilisations.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tail of the Bellcurve
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Honestly the only real reason to invade Earth is life in particular.
    In Prey (the 2017 one) the aliens somehow feed on intelligence so of course they don't attack empty rocks and in the The Three-Body Problem trilogy Earth id attacked because A) it's the closest inhabitable world and B) the whole universe is trapped in a logic of pre-emptive strikes against other civilisations.
    That's always been my thought as well. As a bonus, the most interesting life on the planet need not even be human. After all, there's loads of entirely unique species literally found nowhere else, why should we be the center of attention?
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.


    Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    gomipile's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    [...] As a bonus, the most interesting life on the planet need not even be human. [...]
    Spoiler: Star Trek 4
    Show



    I'm reminded of this

    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Huh, context please? What am I looking at?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Huh, context please? What am I looking at?
    The Whale Probe from Star Trek IV: The Journey Home, which was an alien probe that came to Earth with the intention of contacting humpback whales, which it couldn't do because they were all extinct--cue time travel shenanigans to fetch a couple from the past.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Thank you.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    How does liquid methane compare to water? As far as planets or moons with a methane cycle instead of a water cycle? (I'm looking at you, Titan!)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    As a bonus, the most interesting life on the planet need not even be human.
    Indeed. When the catfolk from Alpha Centauri arrive, they will be more interested in talking to our cats than to us. And if they assumed that we existed as servants for our cats, I'm not sure I could come up with a convincing argument to the contrary.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Bohandas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Indeed. When the catfolk from Alpha Centauri arrive, they will be more interested in talking to our cats than to us. And if they assumed that we existed as servants for our cats, I'm not sure I could come up with a convincing argument to the contrary.
    Like the fact that all the cats are eunuchs, which they wouldn't be if they were in charge
    Omegaupdate Forum

    WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

    PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

    Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

    Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

    If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. -Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5, Scene 1

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Indeed. When the catfolk from Alpha Centauri arrive, they will be more interested in talking to our cats than to us. And if they assumed that we existed as servants for our cats, I'm not sure I could come up with a convincing argument to the contrary.
    Cats, you say?
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tail of the Bellcurve
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Indeed. When the catfolk from Alpha Centauri arrive, they will be more interested in talking to our cats than to us. And if they assumed that we existed as servants for our cats, I'm not sure I could come up with a convincing argument to the contrary.
    Nah, cats hardly like most other cats. What we do have is infinitely more important than lower tier felids.

    We have tuna fish.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.


    Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Telok's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    PRAK

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    The alien invasion scenario I always wanted to see went something like:

    "But why are you invading us?"
    "Well if we didn't crush your civilization you'd blow up the farming robots and use pesticides."
    "What? Farming robots?"
    "Yes. Until the bshunc weed wrecks your boisphere in a couple megacycles of bdyrdj time the Jrcvdgi company is going to be amazingly profitable."
    Niven's Laws, #5
    If you've nothing to say, say it any way you like. Stylistic innovations, contorted story lines or none, exotic or genderless pronouns, internal inconsistencies, the recipe for preparing your lover as a cannibal banquet: feel free. If what you have to say is important and/or difficult to follow, use the simplest language possible. If the reader doesn't get it then, let it not be your fault.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    The alien invasion scenario I always wanted to see went something like:

    "But why are you invading us?"
    "Well if we didn't crush your civilization you'd blow up the farming robots and use pesticides."
    "What? Farming robots?"
    "Yes. Until the bshunc weed wrecks your boisphere in a couple megacycles of bdyrdj time the Jrcvdgi company is going to be amazingly profitable."
    Kinda like the opening of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

    I agree something like that would be amusing, especially in a somewhat comedy one (even snippets of humor like Independence Day had, not outright parody-comedy movie).

    I also remember
    Spoiler: spoiler for the Animorphs series, or one book in it
    Show

    An alien race comes to wipe out life on the planet that the good god-like being is from, because his race beamed what are essentially play-throughs of a video game into space.

    Just the video game was making planets and life for fun, then having them genocide each other. And the viewers didn't realize it was a joke/game, so they thought they were wiping out an evil species that created and genocided sentient life on a whim.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Kinda like the opening of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

    I agree something like that would be amusing, especially in a somewhat comedy one (even snippets of humor like Independence Day had, not outright parody-comedy movie).

    I also remember
    Spoiler: spoiler for the Animorphs series, or one book in it
    Show

    An alien race comes to wipe out life on the planet that the good god-like being is from, because his race beamed what are essentially play-throughs of a video game into space.

    Just the video game was making planets and life for fun, then having them genocide each other. And the viewers didn't realize it was a joke/game, so they thought they were wiping out an evil species that created and genocided sentient life on a whim.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ironically leading to the creation of the God of Life later on down the line. The Chronicles books were all surprisingly good compared to the normal stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Ginasius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2018

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Speaking of coincidences, I read in an Asimov book a long time ago (it may be 1980) that Neptune's moon Nereid had an orbital period around its planet of 365.25 days.

    That is an extremely good measure of a solar year on Earth and if Nereid was easily visible to the naked eye from our planet, ancient astronomers could have worked out a very precise calendar even in prehistoric times.

    I am sorry to say that I consulted Wikipedia before writing this and the current estimate of Nereid's period is 360.11 days. This is no better than an imprecise 12-month, 30-day lunar calendar.
    Last edited by Ginasius; 2020-11-28 at 05:25 PM.
    Life is like a ladder in a henhouse; it is short, but full of guano.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    The original post expressed the idea that many things related to Earth seem like incredible coincidences. And that repetitions in the Universe are hardly possible. But initially, we consider the universe to be infinite. Although now they talk about the size and age of + -14 billion years. But I think that this only means that our tools do not allow you to see further. If we accept that the Universe is still infinite, then we get the probability of repeating all Earth processes an infinite number of times in 100 percent. We just can't find these planets yet. Despite the successful discovery of over 3,700 exoplanets. But we understand that this is a very small percentage of infinity?)

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyJo View Post
    The original post expressed the idea that many things related to Earth seem like incredible coincidences. And that repetitions in the Universe are hardly possible. But initially, we consider the universe to be infinite. Although now they talk about the size and age of + -14 billion years. But I think that this only means that our tools do not allow you to see further. If we accept that the Universe is still infinite, then we get the probability of repeating all Earth processes an infinite number of times in 100 percent. We just can't find these planets yet. Despite the successful discovery of over 3,700 exoplanets. But we understand that this is a very small percentage of infinity?)
    I don't think we do accept that the universe is infinite in terms of the amount of matter contained. Space may be infinite but the matter has a finite source. The age of the universe goes back to the big bang, what we are observing with new tools is objects so far away that they were closer and closer to that time point when the radiation we are observing left them. Further measurements may make the 14 billion year figure more precise, but they won't be making it noticeably bigger.

    Further, once you get far enough away the expansion of the universe makes points effective move faster than the speed of light w.r.t. to each other at which point they are effectively in different universes.

    And back on topic - at the point when the sun touches the horizon as it sets, the distance from the earth to the sun is such that the sun's actual position is just touching the horizon having finished setting... I.e. the rotation of the earth and is such that the sun moves one apparent solar diameter in the time that the light takes to get to earth.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyJo View Post
    The original post expressed the idea that many things related to Earth seem like incredible coincidences. And that repetitions in the Universe are hardly possible. But initially, we consider the universe to be infinite. Although now they talk about the size and age of + -14 billion years. But I think that this only means that our tools do not allow you to see further. If we accept that the Universe is still infinite, then we get the probability of repeating all Earth processes an infinite number of times in 100 percent. We just can't find these planets yet. Despite the successful discovery of over 3,700 exoplanets. But we understand that this is a very small percentage of infinity?)
    Yeah there are some holes in our understanding of physics that make this basically a fruitless line of inquiry. The Big Bang is essentially an attempt to save the Axiom of Universality and with it the Laws of Thermodynamics. "Ok, so all the evidence suggests the laws of physics must have changed. We will keep the Axiom and push back the change point to the furthest possible time."

    The game at this point is "How far back can we plausibly assume the current rules apply" and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Neat and convenient coincidences of planet Earth (and other planets)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Yeah there are some holes in our understanding of physics that make this basically a fruitless line of inquiry. The Big Bang is essentially an attempt to save the Axiom of Universality and with it the Laws of Thermodynamics. "Ok, so all the evidence suggests the laws of physics must have changed. We will keep the Axiom and push back the change point to the furthest possible time."

    The game at this point is "How far back can we plausibly assume the current rules apply" and move on.
    First to the previous post: matter is finite in our understanding at the moment. Although I also think it is, in the end, we both can be wrong. I was leading rather to the fact that even in a not infinite world, the coincidences described in the original post have a very high probability. The human mind is designed to see certain patterns. This has been inherent since ancient times when people did not have time to analyze everything for a long time. Then it was necessary to quickly assess the danger and avoid it to survive. This is how the need to classify everything and bring it under our ideas about the world was formed in our consciousness. It is this feature that allows us to see patterns where they may not actually be.

    And regarding your post, I think this answer is partially suitable. Besides, I wanted to say that you are right, that we are still very far from understanding all the processes. Although progress is taking place by leaps and bounds

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •