A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 112627282930313233343536
Results 1,051 to 1,069 of 1069
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 9: Srsr and srsr

[Frozen Angel]

"This is my true form." The demon's attitude changes perceptibly. He's defensive now, and seemingly frustrated - but not in a way of someone being falsely accused, rather someone who sees that a deception of theirs has been seen through. Ilpholin is likely to be able to spot such nuance. "Painstakingly shaped to be less horrific than most of my kind. We demons can change our form, but we cannot conceal it. We're different from fey this way."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Ilpholin considers his words for a moment. "No... you can't conceal it, can you?"

"Dress it up in fancy smiles and pretty lies. Draw in the hapless, the naive, the vulnerable." Wenomir. Cessie. Blanche. "But nothing changes what you are, who you are. Demon."

"Evil."

"The cruel monster of corruption and destruction fights to be free, the internal struggle to hurt those you love and those you hate for the sheer pleasure you derive from their agony always threatening to boil over. I can almost pity you."

Ilpholin whips off her heavier outer clothes, discarding them behind her, revealing her tighter latex suit beneath.

"I shall grant you mercy from your inner turmoil. And in deference to your commendable choice of isolation, I shall make it quick."

Unless the demon chooses to struggle. She suspects he's going to choose to struggle.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-10-13 at 11:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Once Ilpholin's violent intend becomes unambiguous, there's a chill wind, a flurry of snow and a brief, bright white light. The mirage of a demon dissipates, leaving behind a squat figure wrapped in a thick robe made out of skin pelts. It's about four metres tall and is hovering a metre off the ground. Its features are concealed by a cloak, save for long, unkempt grey hair slipping out.

"A predicted outcome," it simply says.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

"Hmph. Likewise."

Ilpholin displays no signs of shock or surprise.

"Yet you'd best offer a strong reason for why I don't devote your screams to the King in Rags anyways."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

"Is that why you are here? On his behest? You spoke of a different purpose at our doorstep." Predictably enough, the figure seems to show no fear or hesitation even as Ilpholin threatens it. "We wished to gauge your character before you stood in front of us. Your capacity for seeing through our mirages is considerable. As is your hatred all demonkind."

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Bugbear in the Playground

New Snake Dreams

The key slots into her forehead as if it had been the keyhole it had been made for and Artie can't feel any kind of physical response. No pain or even discomfort.
    Instead she's filled with a overwhelming feeling of expectation. If keyholes could feel then perhaps this is the response they would have to have their key united with them.

And sure enough, as she turns it the feelings of expectation gives away to a sense of disappointment, but its not regarding anything inside the office or the lack of anything. No, this is a memory of disappointment that she's now recalling. As any memory its light on details but the emotions are still strong. After a final vote it has been decided that the court is going with the more aesthetical version of the what they're calling 'the first'. The first "civilized" mortals that are to inhabit the physical world.

Of course, you wouldn't have voted for that name either as the reason they specified "civilized" is that that the yu-seeds have already made mortals. They just consider them too savage to truly be the physical representatives of order...

The memory cuts of just as Artie remembers herself looking at what she knows to be The First. A group of humanoid-like feathered creatures which with her her set of memories might make her think of large raptors.

Artie recalls the whole project going disastrously wrong. Though amazingly enough, not entirely due to the fault of those in charge of it.

Creatures, intelligent creatures, that were not supposed to be were just found by were just found wandering around down there. No one seems to know how they got there, even if there are plenty of theories (though the memory doesn't include a single one of them). But the word is that the project leaders want them gone.

Artie can see herself gossiping with two other fey in what must be the aether considering how much it looks like a modern office to her. The memory doesn't include their names but she gets a feeling that she knew them quite well.

Then the memory cuts out again.

Things just turned a lot more interesting.
    Turns out those creatures, who apparently calls themselves taureh, weren't so easy to remove after all.
    Now the whole project is apparently in danger and accusations are getting thrown everywhere for whose responsible.
    Which fey created them?
    Why are the First so poorly equipped to deal with them? (Artie gets a smug feeling of 'I told you so' at this particular question)
    Why didn't the angels manifest to help out in the battle?
    Is the whole project being mismanaged? (Yes!)

In this memory she can't help but to feel excited at all this turmoil but as it's a past memory she also feels guilty for doing so as she knows that things only got more out of hand from here on.

Artie sees herself trying to stop herself from smiling as she watches other fey debate fiercely with one another. While she feels guilty now she did get a lot of enjoyment out of this.

Artie have grown to respect the taureh. They've managed to stay alive despite all the efforts of the court to destroy them which is a real feat. Despite appearing like they'd favor might before smarts they're extremely innovative.
    However, war and innovation can lead to some pretty horrific results and she's been seeing more and more of those lately.

A yu-seed (the only earth-bound type of fey) has been taken by the taureh, there's no telling what they're going to do with it but the others seems to assume the worst. The war, a word which probably made the situation justice, has been going on for quite a while and this might just be the end stages of it...

Artie recalls herself sitting in what seems to be a auditorium. A concerned look on her face as upset voices call out all around her. The other fey in the court all sound extremely upset.

Then the memory cuts away again.

They lost the war.
    The First are gone and the taureh now essentially control the earth-plane. They are safe from them of course, but right now its the other fey Artie is worried about. The court believes they've been sabotaged from within and there's a witch-hunt for whoever is responsible for the taureh and their success. Artie recall herself being worried, not since she had aided the taureh but since she had expressed to feel genuine respect for them.

But it looked like she was in the clear for now though she couldn't help but to be concerned about what would happen now. If she didn't get indicted someone she knew might.
    Artie sees herself avoiding the gazes of other fey as she slithers down the hall of the 'office' she's working at.

Things are getting worse as the taureh now have free reign of the world. Artie remembers herself thinking it was at least partly their fault for causing them to push things this far but she knows it has to stop at some point. Her coworkers actually seem to get desperate about the whole situation as they can only sit and watch as the taureh experiment on the yokai (spirits without true ego, aka, gods and the like whose personality and being change depending on belief and the like) down-earth.

But this specific moment is special as Artie at this moment is approached by another fey, one of her friends, that tell her that decisions have been taken by 'upper management'. Something Artie has never heard about before. Yet now she's told that they're supposed to simply... give up on the world and start anew? She's never been so confused before.

The taureh are now all dead, and those few that might have escaped that fate has been marked as criminals by the angels.
    But right now Artie have more important things to worry about than the past as with that chapter closed persecutions are happening and fey are being punished left and right for a plot to create the taureh and sabotage the court, or at least what remains of it.
    It has been split into two, the angels and her department, the orobou, forming their own courts.
    With it gone a new high court has been formed with representatives from all the other courts. Artie is not one of those but there is one sentence in particular that all fey are to witness.

It's a vettir.

Or was one at some point. Only a vettir would have that much fur and hooves after all but it looks like they have been stripped off all their masks already. Becoming nothing more than a psychopomp.

Yet despite all that there are eight angels taking them before the high court to receive their sentence. Their face hidden by a hood as the judge starts to read up the long list of crimes they've been accused and found guilty of.
    Most noteworthy being the creation of the taureh and the theft of the fire of creation from a yu-seed. Not to mention 'high-treason' of course but that one was obvious considering the sentence.

Death.

Despite all the crimes read fey around Artie still appear shocked at the verdict. Was that even possible?

The angels remove the hood and finally Artie can see, the fey being judged is actually Jaahlyn.
    But yet it isn't.

At the realization of that paradox the series of memories are finally over and she can see Vez looking at her expectingly. Not even ten seconds have passed since she turned the key in her head and now it seems to have disappeared? Strange.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ogre in the Playground

New Snake Dreams

Artie exhales as the memory finally fades. She does her best to relax; falling out of the trance left her whole body frozen rigid in the tightest coil she had ever managed. She does her best to smooth out her shirt and her wings, but her pale expression is likely obvious to Vez anyway.
    "Alright, well. That was certainly something. I can see why you considered this knowledge forbidden, at least." After all, it sounds a lot like the fey just randomly decided to genocide a whole species because they couldn't figure out where they came from. And then got more than they bargained for until it killed a whole world. But the angels not being involved certainly is strange, at least.
    "I am, however, not sure how exactly this pertains to the case you described. You had these bindings attached to this fey's successor? I do not recall receiving any such bindings despite my origins. Though from what I have gathered my predecessor's crimes did not escalate so. Were they considered so heinous that even the successor was not to be trusted?" She is not being accusatory but...this doesn't exactly make her new "coworkers" look very good.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

"I'm here for a different reason at my own behest. That does not mean I'm unwilling to take time out of my day to carve up a fool who thinks looking like a demon is a wise test." Ilpholin snarls. "If I had been half as perceptive, I would not have hesitated." But she's not certain that this figure is even 'here' in the traditional sense. Probably some fey projection. One that could be destroyed with its user unharmed.

She chooses not to test the theory right now. It's not worth the energy she might need to defeat any other illusions they seem fit to test her with. The nymph retrieves her previously shed winter clothes and takes time putting them on, almost making a show of it. "You are one of the Three Blind Frost-Seers, then? How shall I address you?" She never did learn if these three are a collective entity or individuals. Fey are strange and it is likely that purely because of their name they require all three of them to function. Should one of them fall, they would lose much power. But it is very unlikely to take a seer off guard. Not three that have lived this long at least. Fortunately, at least, that's not her aim.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

"I am one of them, yes. You may call me Seer. Or the Patient Seer, for that is how some call me." The entity seems to regard Ilpholin closely, but their eyes are as hidden as before. It's a cold and analytical gaze, trying to dissect her intent and her reactions. "The demon posed no threat to you, even if he were real, but you were eager to strike him down. You didn't do the same with the beast, choosing to wait for it to pass you by."

10. - Top - End - #1060

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    New Snake Dreams

Artie exhales as the memory finally fades. She does her best to relax; falling out of the trance left her whole body frozen rigid in the tightest coil she had ever managed. She does her best to smooth out her shirt and her wings, but her pale expression is likely obvious to Vez anyway.
    "Alright, well. That was certainly something. I can see why you considered this knowledge forbidden, at least." After all, it sounds a lot like the fey just randomly decided to genocide a whole species because they couldn't figure out where they came from. And then got more than they bargained for until it killed a whole world. But the angels not being involved certainly is strange, at least.
    "I am, however, not sure how exactly this pertains to the case you described. You had these bindings attached to this fey's successor? I do not recall receiving any such bindings despite my origins. Though from what I have gathered my predecessor's crimes did not escalate so. Were they considered so heinous that even the successor was not to be trusted?" She is not being accusatory but...this doesn't exactly make her new "coworkers" look very good.
    New Snake Dreams

There is one lingering memory left behind, while Jaahlyn was the name her first set of memories recognize, the unlocked memories recognize it as another one.

Baphoreth.

Yet in her mind Jaahlyn and Baphoreth seems oddly synonymous with one another. Like they're two words that means exactly the same thing. It might be easy for her to use them interchangeably without thinking due to how strong those memories were.

Vez raises one of his tails as to point something out. "Before I get into that I should note that while I know the general content of the memories you just acquired I don't actually know the details. They're yours after all so neither I or the court at large are privy to how you- ah, your predecessor felt about everything that happened."

"That said, you're actually raising a very good question that I wanted to discuss with you. See, at the time this method of... execution was completely new. It was not known just how much of the predecessor that remained within the body once it was all over. Combine that with the rather, ah, extreme circumstances at the time and the high court decided to impose regulations even on the fey taking her place. To be blunt, the courts were essentially screaming out for blood at that point. There had just been a war and many fey had actually joined forces with the taureh while they were being so dominant. Therefore, it was considered prudent to make these trials to send a strong a message as possible to everyone. That traitors would not be tolerated and the courts, and our Laws, were still holding strong, least we'd descend into even more chaos. The split between us and the angels had caused so much much of it already there were doubts our system of Governance would even survive."

Vez pauses as to let that sink in.

"But was the punishment too cruel? Of course it was, especially since we've come to understand how the interaction with the new fey and the predecessor works now. I looked into it and there were even a proposal to remove all the restrictions of new fey earned by their predecessors some time ago but the notion was voted down back then. Likely since to many they're still seen as the criminals they once were and there are strong opinions regarding them. This I think gives us the opportunity to correct that however and this time, you, a fey that more than most can relate to Baphoreth's situation will make the decisions." Seems encouraging but then Vez let's out a small sigh.

"There is one thing that might complicate your decision however as Baphoreth was not the only one that was sentenced that day. There were two fey involved in the creation of the taureh, and the other one would be Baphoreth's lover, Aziel. A fey whose predecessor were given a similar sentence. When the Law was broken the High Court decided to summon Aziel's predecessor as it was believed whatever happened to Baphoreth could happen to them as well. Once you do track down Baphoreth its rather likely that they would want Aziel to be freed as well since they're so close. I'm not sure how likely it would be for the high court to accept such a request however and I'm afraid you might have to be the bearer of bad news then."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-10-18 at 11:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

New Snake Dreams

Oh. These were her memories, not those of a court member who simply donated theirs for the record. They would probably be alarmed at her notion on these subjects.
    "So, I'm supposed to speak to her and let her know that her counterpart has been arrested, so to speak? It's not a no to helping them, is it? We have eternity, after all. Surely if this goes well I can at least promise her that they might be freed at some point? It sounds like you're asking me to renegotiate this Law, but how will I convince her to agree to something we both consider cruel, for no benefit to her at all?" Artie seems skeptical.

"And if the proposals for these restrictions were shot down, why am I still free?" she asks Vez.

12. - Top - End - #1062

New Snake Dreams

"Ah, I was being unclear. These restrictions were only being applied while we still didn't know much of the nature of the process. These days new fey are never being punished for their predecessors crimes. But you- hmm."

Vez pauses, letting the tails lightly tap his desk as he seems to be considering something. "Well, I said you're making the decisions here and I meant it. You are therefore allowed to completely free her from the bounds if that's your wish, legally speaking of course. As for Aziel you can commit to such a promise but understand that the decision to let you in charge was taken by the subcouncil, not the High Court. There's very different fey in charge of those two. Indeed, the only reason the subcouncil is in charge here is due to how unclear the laws still are within the nexus as we can't really enforce them." Vez shrugs, looking rather helpless at that moment.

"At this point I should probably mention that I'm in the subcouncil and did vote in favor of letting you making the calls. If it was up to me all the restrictions caused by the crimes of a fey's predecessor should be torn up and be illegal to issue in the first place."

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

New Snake Dreams

Artesia looks at Vez for a long time. "I'll speak to her. Perhaps if she's willing to accept some of this Law it will convince the High Council to free her counterpart. Send me any other parts of their file you wish me to know. I should get on this quickly before someone does something rash." Not that she expects the High Council to be too quick-moving. Why would fey who have eternity move quickly? Best to not count on that, though.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

"And the others? What I should I call them?" Might as well find out sooner than later.

"Demons always pose a threat. You wouldn't allow an infection to linger on your body would you? You could call it harmless, insignificant. Until you've lost an arm and have nothing but yourself to blame for the lingering regret for your foolish na´vetÚ. Demons are no different," Ilpholin explains.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

15. - Top - End - #1065

New Snake Dreams

At this point there are a series of loud angry hisses besides Artie which makes Vez acknowledge the nest of snakes besides Artie with a nod. "Right, and they want an apology and compensation for what the horse creatures did to them. Of course, again, they can't demand more than what you can deliver considering the unique situation." He nods to her now. "But yes, you should probably get onto it as quickly as possible. Which I believe concludes our meeting unless you had anything else to add."

But if she doesn't, the scene can end here.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

New Snake Dreams

Artie blinks and turns to the snakes beside them.
    "Ah, what sort of compensation would be desirable in this situation?" she asks.
    They're a bundle of fey...essence? fey something that has spent millenia as a set of metaphysical chains. What could some magical equine possibly provide for them?

17. - Top - End - #1067

New Snake Dreams

Vez glances to the snakes who hiss angrily again. "A piece of the creatures body and... food. That's what they ask for."

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

"The other two Seers are the Penitent Seer and the Pragmatic Seer. You will meet all three of us soon enough. Your answer has been heard and will be considered."

The Patient Seer offers no further opinion about it, however, as they begin to float away deeper into the valley.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

"Right..." Leave it to the Patient Seer to take their sweet time with things. Well as long as we're not talking days...

Ilpholin shoves her hands in her coat pockets and follows the seer deeper into the valley. This part would be the hardest one because she's playing most of this by ear. She doesn't know enough about the Seers themselves to form a decent diplomatic plan.

Maybe the Patient Seer would also be a Prattling Seer? Ilpholin can't help but wonder how talkative they are.

"So I heard you have bad blood with the King in Rags. Strongly refused him at some point, is that right? He may have taken it a little personally."
    Last edited by Reinholdt; Today at 04:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast