New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Serious Plots 9: Srsr and srsr

This thread is for the more Serious Plots in Nexus that people don't think really pertain to a particular location.

Rules
    1. Use [Location Tags] or [Plot Tags] in your posts.
    2. Each location or plot is under the control of its creator.
    3. Play nice and keep the drama low. Serious Plots is just a name.

Archive
    Spoiler
    Show
    Serious Plots 8: Rawr serisaurus!
    Serious Plots 7: Why so srs?
    Serious Plots 6: Srs bsns
    Serious Plots 5: No lulz.
    Serious Plots 4: So Srs it hurts
    Serious Plots 3: Too srs for my shirt
    Serious Plots 2: SERIOUSNESS OVERWHELMING
    Serious Plots

This thread is managed by Gulaghar. I will create the new thread when this one reached 50 pages. Please contact me for updates to the OP.

Thinking about roleplaying in the Nexus? Come say hi in our Discord!
    Last edited by Gullara; 2021-03-02 at 01:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 9: Srsr and srsr

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Visiting Family]

While Zophiel stomps on the last little bit of jelly, Hunter draws her sword again and goes to finish the thing off. One burning slash and none of the jelly is moving.
    "And there's your demonstration. Good fighting."

Sandstone grabs onto the side of a tree nearby and twists around to look at the battlefield.

[Hell]

Anchor stands back as instructed and watches.
    So it is the cold region Sekhmet mentioned. That's a good sign, right?
    She's dressed fine for temperatures like these, so just steps in through the rift and quickly looks around.
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    A Cold Day in Hell

"Phew!" Sekhmet says after everyone's through the rift, her breath forming into an icy cloud in front of her face. "Let me, uh, get my bearings." She closes her eyes and breathes deeply, in and out, in and out. Then she opens them again. "We need to go down." It doesn't look like there's any way down, just a flat plain. "This place is riddled with sinkholes, we, uh, just need to find one." Sekhmet sets off across the icy wastes.

[Visiting Family]

"Yeah. Same," the paladin responds, returning the compliment.

Zophiel looks around just a little more - to make sure there's not any more jelly hiding in a tree waiting for them to think the battle's over.
    Once he's confident that if there is more he can't find it, he walks over to retrieve his thrown sword.
    "You have really good teamwork with Sandstone," he says.

[A Cold Day]

"So we just walk around until one of us falls through the ground?" Zophiel says, to make sure he gets what they're supposed to do.
    Well, if someone happened to have some sort of ultrasonic detection or magic sight then it might actually be pretty easy. However, apparently lacking those, Zophiel decides to maximize the chance of encountering a sinkhole:

namely,
    The paladin spreads out from the other two. If they're spread out, then that triples their chance of finding a sinkhole.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Visiting Family]

Likewise, Hunter goes to stow her sword, retrieve her dropped gun, and check that everything is well.
    Sandstone swoops down and lands on her shoulder once again, getting a laugh out of her.

"Aww, thanks. It just takes a lot of practice." And silent psychic singing signaling, that helps.

"Let's get going quickly, though. That was a loud battle."

[A Cold Day]

"Try to see the sinkhole before anyone falls in it." Anchor suggests.

She'll join Zophiel in spreading out a little, trying to be in-between the paladin and the Sekhmet.

A generic sinkhole is not the sort of thing she has any particular ability to find, so walking through the icy wastes it is!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

This is an inefficient way to search for sinkholes. The group spreads out, but no sinkholes are found. Sekhmet is getting frustrated. "There's, uh, something I can do, but, uh, it will attract attention. Uh, dangerous attention." She closes her eyes, focusing. If Anchor or Zophiel want to stop her, they can.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Gem Dungeon - Floor 4 Stairwell]

"Poisons," she immediately answers. "Poisons probably won't work. Unless they're, like, lust-element poisons. Those ones would work well." Super effectively, in fact. "M-maybe don't try light or dark-type things either, since it'll take longer and hurt more." Maybe she should just keep on talking, since just standing here in silence feels weird and awful. But she's run out of resistances so there's nothing else to talk about. "If you have one, I'd recommend a lust sword or abstinaxe or wanton dagger or something like that, since it'd be fastest." 'cause everybody just casually has a lust sword hanging about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post

Fettina quietly sidles off down the passage after a few moments' deliberation, not wanting to interfere or witness this. She hopes they're doing the right thing here... and that helping Carmen is the right thing in the first place. She's never really been very good at gauging what's the 'right' thing.

Fortunately for Tina, she has Reinholdt to help guide her as to what the right thing is!

"Really? I'd have imagined that you'd be exceptionally resistant to lust based attacks. I guess I need to study... succubi? much more closely." Reinholdt replies after a few moments of Tina's footsteps growing distant and quiet. The abstinaxe at least makes sense. To him. There are clearly other rules in place.

"Anyways, I promise it'll be quic-" Reinholdt interrupts himself by swinging an axe as hard as he can at her neck. A shame poison wasn't an option. He figures doing it suddenly while talking will lesson the anxiety of anticipation. It is a relatively boring axe though, enchanted only with a self-cleaning feature. And Carmen could have done something unexpected once Tina leaves them.

But if this successfully does the deed, Rein will move quickly to grasp Carmen's hair while checking her body with his own so that neither decide to take a trip down the stairs. With a quiet sigh he can then get Carmen into a body bag and clean himself up before hoisting said bag up and heading after Tina to catch up with her. If it doesn't work... well then everything will get messier and uglier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

6. - Top - End - #6

[Visiting Family]

After retrieving his sword and putting both away, the paladin asks Hunter, "Were you hurt?" Just a normal caring-parent thing.

Speaking of it being a loud battle, Zophiel looks around to see if there's anything coming after them right now. He remembers that there was a beheaded dinosaur up ahead, so, rather than going straight towards it, it might be good to go around it. Especially if things from there decide to head straight here. "This way, right?" he says, leaving this jelly-arena.

[A Cold Day]

It is inefficient, but it's just as efficient as most other methods. If only one of them could run really fast then it would be really easy to find one.

Hearing Sekhmet's suggestion, Zophiel stops walking and turns towards her. "As long as it doesn't bring the wrong attention, it's fine." The wrong attention being, specifically, the arch-fiend or whatever that they're trying to avoid.

Not entirely sure what kind of dangerous attention it'll draw, Zophiel draws and readies one of his swords.

[Gem Dungeon]
    Floor 4 Stairwell

Carmen opens her mouth, ready to explain the reasons - as far as she knows; a lot of it is just speculation and theories - why succubi are particularly weak to the lust element in spite of also having the greatest affinity towards it, and how that intersects with her heritage of actually being half-succubus and why that should matter, and probably a couple other things on a tangent because by telling him all these things she can draw it out as long as possible because as much as she'd rather be dead than trapped in here, she still doesn't particularly want to be dead so long as that's an option.

She's just waiting for him to finish talking so that she can go into the explanation, but...

...it's cut short.
    It happens smoothly, but probably not quite as quickly or painlessly or in-a-single-swingingly as if he had used an absinaxe instead. Actually, thinking about it, if Tina were the one holding the axe then it probably would have been just as effective.

Well,
    most people die when they get beheaded.
    Everything goes as planned.

=> Floor 5
    This room is actually pretty similar (structurally speaking) as the second floor, with the demons. Several cells all around, multiple directions you can go. Up ahead are the stairs downwards - but, since they're headed to the treasure room, there's no need to go down the stairs. The secret passage is in the back of a cell to the left.

The last time Reinholdt was here, the darkness was oppressive.
    It still is, but not quite as oppressive. The darkness still eats away at any light coming out from flashlights or anything else. They'll still be able to see, but the light doesn't shine nearly as far as it did on the other floors.
    Notably, as well, all the cell doors are open. Nobody's inside any of them.
    This floor gives a very similar feeling that they felt earlier in this dungeon, though. The basement-hallway-rooms that they went down to avoid the fire-zombies and the skeletal gorilla is what it feels like. And, like up there, there's sometimes shadowy figures just at the edge of their peripheral vision, whispering things.

It really is fortunate that they don't have to stay here. As long as Rein can remember the right way to go, and they don't veer off the path, then everything goes perfectly.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

7. - Top - End - #7

Default [A Cold Day]

"It sounds too early to resort to things that will attract attention. I mean, what are you thinking to do?"
    Anchor looks around again, but this is a flat empty hellish plain, nothing of use.

"Do you think you could fly up and see one?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Sekhmet thinks for the right words. "I, uh, was going to open my mind to find the, uh, souls that line the walls of the chasms. But your way, uh, sounds safer." Sekhmet flies up and takes a look around, before descending. "There's, uh, an open sinkhole over that way." She points in a direction.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #9

[A Cold Day]

How easy is it to even fly in this temperature?
    Well, Sekhmet has her own flame so that's probably not a problem.
    Definitely a great idea, though. Zophiel wishes he had thought of it, too.

The paladin looks in that direction.
    He tries to see if he can spot the open sinkhole from this height.
    "Okay." He turns to go in that direction, and starts walking. "Shouldn't be that far of a jump down, right?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

[Platinum Star]

That actually gets a snort out of Maiel. "I'm almost pleased to never have been called that. We can try, if it amuses you, but I doubt anything here will have much effect."

[Gem Dungeon - Floor 5]

Well, the new surrounds certainly aren't helping Tina's mood. She has her arms hugged around herself when Rein gets down there, rubbing her shoulders as if for warmth. In truth she doesn't really feel big differences in temperature any more, but that sounds weird and she hates explaining it. Her eyes scramble back and forth over Carmen's body-bag. A little frown scores her face.

"I hate all this stupid magic bull****!" She exclaims suddenly, walking off in the direction of their objective with her wings flexing and creaking. "Hate it! Ugh! Let's go somewhere less depressing next time, huh?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #11

Default [A Cold Day]

It must be pretty chilly, but Sekhmet bravely flies up for them anyway.

"We uh, might want to let people who can fly check that out. I mean, I've got rope if we need to climb down."
    But he's right, they can probably just jump.
    For the moment though, Anchor just strolls in the direction Sekhmet indicated.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Sekhmet flies lower and replies to Zophiel, "Uh, about that." The sinkhole is visible, first as a dark smudge against the snow, then as an actual pit, until it finally resolves into an icy chasm, hundreds of feet deep. People, their faces frozen in twisted expressions of pain and anguish, are encased in the walls by the thousands. Sekhmet shivers, and not just because of the cold. "She'll, uh, be nearby. Maybe, uh, in another one, but, uh, they should be connected."

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

[Gem Dungeon - Floor 5]

"Sorry. Most of the happy, fun dungeons already have their treasure looted." Reinholdt remembers this part pretty well actually. Last time he was here, this was one of the most memorable areas. So it doesn't take him very long to find what they're looking for. Especially since he moves with an earnest haste. He doesn't like it down here either and distinctly remembers bad things hiding in the darkness.

"But you're right. Ninety percent of the time, magic is the exemplification of Power Abuse. We'll find something more upbeat next time. I still want to see where they sell those hard light chair things of yours. Or maybe even get my hair to light up, but only on weekends. What do you think, would I look good in neon?" Rein throws out a reassuring smile in an attempt to lighten Tina's mood. Partially because he knows they're almost done, barring complications.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

14. - Top - End - #14

[Platinum Star]

"Now that is simply outrageous. Any party in skyside worth its guests simply must have beverages adapted for other species than humans. So if you can get buzzed at all there are alternatives. If not here, then in my own private collection." Though it really wouldn't look good for the Platinum Star if she had to use that. "I simply can't have have my plus one sober at a party. People would be talking you know?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Eagle View Post
    [The Platinum Star] Fel and Rosie

Rosie looks super-surprised. A god actually caring for their children, of arguably lower status? She has to remember that they're from different worlds. In fact, Felandria seems to be a native Nexusian, whereas she herself is not.

She also quickly remembers that as Fel's girlfriend, she should be more supportive rather than judgemental, and holds back the scoff she was going to make. "... I'm glad that's so, babe."

She squeezes Fel's hand and takes a tiny sip of her drink, making said sip look longer than it really was. "Will you introduce me, sometime? You can meet my mom and dad, as well." She trusts Fel, but wants to meet this Zeus for herself.
    Fel squeezes back and finishes her drink.

I’d like that very much.

Tell me more about your parents, then.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

16. - Top - End - #16

[Gem Dungeon - Floor 5] => Treasure room

After walking into one of the open cells, there is a little passage in the back that you have to crouch to go through. Going up the passage might be a little tight, especially with wings, but they both should be able to go through it fine. The uphill path is also a little steeper than would be standard regulation.

By following the path, they will leave the awful prison dungeon behind and find their way in to the treasure room.

It's actually a pretty large room. Well-lit. High ceiling, wide walls, and just piles of treasure all around. Most of it is just regular gold and silver and titanium and gems, but there are a couple more interesting things, like a baby dragon skeleton made entirely of gold, a pile of clothes and a red hood that would fit a teenage girl, a fancy and probably magic sword, a neat scepter, a handful of ancient books, a really old music box that could use a few repairs, crowns and tiaras and another one of those boxes just like the one they found tipped over in that first bedroom/construction break room, or like the one that was found in that bedroom where they had that fight against that awful queen. Good things might happen if you open it!

Congrats!
    They made it to the most important room of the dungeon.

There's massive doors on one side of the room, currently closed and locked, that will lead out of the room. Fortunately, from the inside you can easily undo the lock so they can stay as long as they want without worrying about being interrupted.

[A Cold day]

Zophiel looks down the pit.

"..."

He steps back to get a better look at the whole thing.
    "Yeah, I would prefer to know what's at the bottom before jumping," he finally agrees. Turning to Anchor, he asks, "Is your rope long enough?"
    They can figure out which direction to head next after getting down.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

17. - Top - End - #17

Default [A Cold Day]

Anchor looks down into the pit of hell.
    Most of these people, presumably, deserve to be here in a sense, for their misdeeds during life. But it still awful to behold.

"Not really. We would have to go down in several steps."
    She just has about 100' of ropes, and the pit is several times that.
    "I'll go down as far as I can, you follow, and then Sekhmet can untie the rope and fly down? I mean, and then we repeat that until we're deep enough."
    She gets out the rope and materializes a black spike to anchor it into the icy surface. Which provides a good excuse to look away from the chasm.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

"I, uh, can do that." Sekhmet descends into the pit. She calls up from a point about a hundred and fifty feet down the chasm. "The passage is right here! Can you get down here?" She waves up at them and conjures a little flame so she's easier to see. Suddenly, her eyes widen in shock. "What? Aiiiiiiieeeeeee!" A clawed chitinous limb grabs her and pulls her into a fissure in the icy wall.

That's not good. Not good at all. Not only is it bad for Sekhmet, but without her, Anchor and Zophiel might be stranded in this hellish snowscape.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #19

[A Cold Day]

Oh no!
    Everything is going in the wrong order. She was supposed to wait up here.

Not only that, but the rope doesn't go down far enough. Since the plans were abruptly changed, they can't just follow the same plan. Need to come up with an alternative to get down that far. He could...get down to the bottom of the road, anchor the bottom of the rope to the wall with a sword, and then Anchor releases the rope from up here. Unfortunately, that would strand her up here without a way down. Maybe he could jump, but...in a place like this, that might have some bad consequences later on. But would it be worse than letting Sekhmet be taken?
    He needs to come up with a way to minimize the long-lasting effects. Maybe if Anchor goes down first and he stays up here, that won't leave her up here and then he'll have time to figure out how to minimize seal modification and still get down.

He quickly pulls the rope back up so he can get to the other end of it. He has an idea. "You go down," he says to Anchor, telling her his idea. "When you get to the bottom, press this sword's tip against the wall." With the end of the rope, he starts tying Mercy's handle to the rope. Black spreads along the blade, down to the tip. "That'll fix it in place, and I'll release it up here," from the black spike.

Zophiel waits a moment, and then lowers the sword and rope. "Then the rope will drop far enough for you to reach her."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #20

Default [A Cold Day]

Oh, they found the passage already. That's good. It's not even at the bottom.
    Then Sekhmet gets grabbed by a monster, which is less good.

Anchor's shadow rushes up to her.
    But luckily Zophiel has a plan, so they don't have to do anything too hasty.
    "Okay!" She grabs the sword in one hand - wow that's heavy - the rope in the other, and starts sliding over the edge. "Let's go, Mercy."

She slides down the rope pretty quickly, and, assuming no fiends reach out to get her, will heft the sword up and prick it into the ice.
    "Now!"
    For a few moments, Anchor is just hanging with one hand from this sword that's held in the ice by paladin magic.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

"AAAAA! HELP!" Sekhmet screams from inside the crack in the wall. There's a burning sound and more screaming. That does not sound good. Anchor's now about 50 feet above the opening. "Back off! Let me go!" More screaming ensues.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

[Gem Dungeon - Floor 5]

Rein might be pleased to get a laugh out of her. Fettina shivers and folds her wings close again. "I think you'd look great. Hell, I think there might be a few places like this back where I come from... just maybe a little less sad. I remember going to some parties in a couple seriously creepy places..." Creepy she can deal with, but this place was heavy, and Tina doesn't do heavy.

Then, of course, they hit the treasure room and Fettina's attitude soars. She freezes. Starts to do a little dance and clap her hands, which makes a resounding metallic bang. She half glides forward over the stones and starts to pass her hands over just about everything. She will pick up the hooded cloak and try it on, then grab the sword to flick it around a little.

[Platinum Star]

Oh my, that almost seems to make Maiel crack a smile. She's teased a genuine smile out of him. "Hmm? And what would they be saying, Tellysandra?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

23. - Top - End - #23

[A Cold Day]

The sword fixes itself in place when instructed to.
    Zophiel looks down, glad that she was able to do that. At the right time, Zophiel removes the spike and tosses the rope down. "There!" he calls down. The rope falls, which should reach plenty far down enough for Anchor to get to the cave.

The paladin watches for a few moments to make sure everything works out well. Once he's confident that everything appears to be going well, he steps back a little from the edge, and begins working on his own way down:
    He can't directly manipulate magic himself, so he starts tracing several seals into the snow. One by one, they make certain parts of the ambient magic swirl around. (They are in the underworld, though, right? So, what, ambient magic is hellish or something? Probably not a big deal.)
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #24

Default [A Cold Day]

With the rope freed up, Anchor slides down it in a hurry, letting go of the sword, grabbing back onto the rope, and drawing her own sword with her other hand.
    Pushing a bit off the icy wall so that she'll swing into the opening that Sekhmet disappeared into.
    Now, just what is it that's in here?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Anchor swings into an icy tunnel.
    In here is Sekhmet. She's alive, and mostly unharmed. However she is gripped in an oversized clawed hand, which belongs to a grotesque spindly creature, shaped like a pale, hunched humanoid, with too-long, too-thin arms and legs and chitinous plated skin from which cubic white crystals protrude at odd angles. Its five eyes are an uncomfortable, piercing blue. Its body is marked by several large burns, and Sekhmet is busy throwing more fire at it. "Let me go!" The screams seem to be equally coming from both combatants, Sekhmet in fear and panic, the demon in pain and rage.

Meanwhile, Zophiel starts drawing on the ambient magic of this place. Infernal fiendish energy begins pooling in the seals around him. This power is aligned with the power of Despair, which may infect the magic he's attempting to work.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #26

[Visiting Family]
    After retrieving his sword and putting both away, the paladin asks Hunter, "Were you hurt?" Just a normal caring-parent thing.

Speaking of it being a loud battle, Zophiel looks around to see if there's anything coming after them right now. He remembers that there was a beheaded dinosaur up ahead, so, rather than going straight towards it, it might be good to go around it. Especially if things from there decide to head straight here. "This way, right?" he says, leaving this jelly-arena.
    Hunter shakes her head, she's fine.
    "Just bruises. Are you alright? That false rabbit looked like it got you pretty good."

She takes a look around, a couple looks, to confirm that Zophiel has the right way to go.
    "Yeah, that's it."
    Out of the jelly-arena (which is really just part of the woods) and soon enough, all the way out of the woods. Off to town they go.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #27

[A Cold Day]

Zophiel, up top, finishes the seal. The fiendish despair and energy swirls around in a very unique vortex.

Of course, he doesn't want it to take effect indiscriminantely, so he makes one final step: he mixes a vial of magic ink with some of his own blood. This way, it'll absorb the swirling energy really quickly in places where it's painted on, much more quickly than just the ink alone. That way, he won't have to remain in the vortex for as long and it'll affect him unevenly.

He puts the blood-ink mixture on his hands, and then traces shapes out on his shoulders and waist. He places himself in the vortex, next, and...waits.

It doesn't take long. Everywhere that ink was placed begins changing rapidly. Two pairs of wings form; one from his shoulderblades - black, feathery, large, and with large clawed hands coming out of the first joint - and one from his waist: smaller, black, and leathery and bony. His hands change, too, but it's pretty minor. His hands become softer and his fingernails, longer. That's about it.

The Despair isn't really ideal, but it'll do. It's fiendish energy. It works. The despair tries to assault the mental part of the four-part seal.
    He falls to his hands and knees, and the traced seals on the ground are disrupted. Because the ink absorbed it, it continues applying the same effect, causing them to continue to grow in.

It's painful, but...it's a way down, he supposes. Needs to be done in case something goes wrong down there and he needs to quickly descend.
    Zophiel makes sure not to cry out, because that could distract them down there, where it's probably life-or-death.

[Visiting Family]

"It did," he admits, "but I'm better now." You can even look at his neck to check.

"Smell like blood, though." All over his neck and hand. "So...we should definitely hurry out." There's probably loads of things around here that hunt by scent, and the scent of blood is almost universally the smell of 'injured' or 'weakened'.

Speaking of hurrying out, the paladin speeds up.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #28

[A Cold Day]

Anchor swings into the tunnel, lets go the rope, lands lightly on her feet, and lunge forward to swing her sword at the monster. Specifically, at the shoulder of the spindly hand holding Sekhmet. It all flows together very gracefully, if not necessarily effectively.
    "You heard; let her go."

Anchor's shadow remains right beside her, wary (claws out, wings half-unfurled, tail stiff) for any surprises the tunnel might have.

[Visiting Family]

It's true, one is sure to find a nice, injured Zophiel here, that's what the scents say. But the smells of gunpowder and dead jelly-monster are more ambiguous.
    I think that if they hurry, they'll make it back to town without anything trying to eat them.
    As long as there's no distractions or delays.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    [Gem Dungeon - Floor 5] => Treasure room

After walking into one of the open cells, there is a little passage in the back that you have to crouch to go through. Going up the passage might be a little tight, especially with wings, but they both should be able to go through it fine. The uphill path is also a little steeper than would be standard regulation.

By following the path, they will leave the awful prison dungeon behind and find their way in to the treasure room.

It's actually a pretty large room. Well-lit. High ceiling, wide walls, and just piles of treasure all around. Most of it is just regular gold and silver and titanium and gems, but there are a couple more interesting things, like a baby dragon skeleton made entirely of gold, a pile of clothes and a red hood that would fit a teenage girl, a fancy and probably magic sword, a neat scepter, a handful of ancient books, a really old music box that could use a few repairs, crowns and tiaras and another one of those boxes just like the one they found tipped over in that first bedroom/construction break room, or like the one that was found in that bedroom where they had that fight against that awful queen. Good things might happen if you open it!

Congrats!
    They made it to the most important room of the dungeon.

There's massive doors on one side of the room, currently closed and locked, that will lead out of the room. Fortunately, from the inside you can easily undo the lock so they can stay as long as they want without worrying about being interrupted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Gem Dungeon - Floor 5]

Rein might be pleased to get a laugh out of her. Fettina shivers and folds her wings close again. "I think you'd look great. Hell, I think there might be a few places like this back where I come from... just maybe a little less sad. I remember going to some parties in a couple seriously creepy places..." Creepy she can deal with, but this place was heavy, and Tina doesn't do heavy.

Then, of course, they hit the treasure room and Fettina's attitude soars. She freezes. Starts to do a little dance and clap her hands, which makes a resounding metallic bang. She half glides forward over the stones and starts to pass her hands over just about everything. She will pick up the hooded cloak and try it on, then grab the sword to flick it around a little.

[Gem Dungeon - Floor 5]

"Yeah?" Reinholdt runs his hand through his hair, wondering. Might be fun to try out.

Fortunately treasure! Nothing quite cures the spirit like a pile of gems. He even has to smile at Fettina's metallic clap. Rein starts heading towards the clothes and the cloak, but Tina gets to it first! "Ah! Uhh... mind if I get that one? I have a really good place in mind for it." He says, picking up the scepter and testing the weight in his hands in order to play off its importance to him. It's clearly not that big a deal.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2020-11-14 at 08:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

The creature's arm is cut off at the shoulder. Freezing-cold water sprays out of the wound, soaking Sekhmet. It might get Anchor too if she's in the wrong place at the wrong time. The creature takes advantage of the distraction to flee away down the tunnel.
    Sekhmet spits out water and shivers. "Brrrrrrr. Uh, thanks." She tries to take a step down the passage, but her foot won't move. The water covering her is already solidifying into ice. "Aaaaa! Help!" She screams again. If Anchor too got wet, she'll be in a similar predicament.
    All just in time for Zophiel to arrive.

My Nexus characters