New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 9: Srsr and srsr

Avenue of Unpleasant Dreams

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

Jaahlyn eyes Fidelia nervously, it wasn't really her position to question these things as she barely knew Laz. She would do it in her position as an outsider but she didn't think she could hit the proper notes here. Fidelia was the only person here who knew her that well.
    The fact that the basement shock as Laz spoke didn't exactly make the whole thing easier and her hoofs shift uneasily while she's trying to think of something to say in response. She would simply have to venture a few guesses based on what she knew of the reputation of her Saint Lazarus persona.

The satyr takes a deep breath as she feels words once again starting to form inside her. She takes a firm stance, feeling her hooves press into the ground and speaks just as firmly. "Erm... regardless of what you are or see yourself as, you try to use what you have to do as much good as possible, don't you? You've been dealt a pretty bad hand but you're using it the best way you can and that's pretty extraordinary, especially if you're an evil spirit." She gestures towards Laz. "For instance, have you seen others with your condition? How did they act exactly? Did they try to do good like you do?" Her eyes once more look to Fidelia, she couldn't really answer her question as the key here was getting past this hurdle.
    Right now Laz was one with her curse and while that could be beneficial they wouldn't be able to confront any of those aspects of her while that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelia View Post
    "If I weren't the real Fidelia but a confused ghost convinced she is Fidelia, would you say it mattered to you?"
    "Of course not. If the only Fidelia I ever knew was a confused ghost, why would I care about what's 'real' and what isn't?" Saint Lazarus answers, before her own answer slaps her right in the face. Figuratively, I mean, not literally. If this weren't a realm of dreams I wouldn't feel the need to clarify, but since literally anything could happen here, it doesn't hurt to clarify.

"Okay...okay, fine, and maybe all the other zombies I've heard of are worse, but-" she doesn't actually have any rebuttal to follow that up with either, and it shows. There's still the matter of finding a way to preserve this Jenette if they ever find a way to cure her condition, but that's a concern for another time, I suppose. Really, all this soul stuff really means is that True Resurrection probably isn't the optimal strategy, not that Laz will never find a way to leave cannibalism behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Orobou Office

"For you? No. This is a problem the Outer Office will have to deal with. One of many I'm afraid. 'The nexus', as I believe you call it, has proven to be quite problematic." Vex shakes his serpetine head. "But I'm changing the topic again. All this means for you is that you will likely be called as a witness later on. Not nessecarily in person, you can simply record your memory of the event and it will be used as evidence if you'd like."

"You don't need to make a decision regarding that right now however so let's move on to the more pleasant part of our meeting. I will be explaining how you can get back to me on your decision so you can take your time." Vez places the pen on the notebook, the sound of writting suddenly stopping.
    "So... where would you like me to start? Or perhaps you prefer to ask me questions regarding our court? I should be able to satisfy your curiosity either way."

"Lady Fidelia seem to think that you're more than your condition, Sir Lazarus and from what I've seen so far, I am inclined to believe her. She took quite a risk getting help for you so you've definitely inspired a lot of loyalty, wherever you like it or not."
    Jaahlyn then glances at Fid, seemingly wanting her to try to take it from here. She knew Laz far better than this old satyr did and knew how to push the issue.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-05-26 at 02:38 AM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Orobou Office

"I can try my best. As I said, between sorting my mind through gaining the Mask and the possible inebriation during the inciting incident my memories of the last few days are a bit hazy."
    She fidgets with her tail, tapping the rattle at the end of it.
    "Um. I know it may sound daft but I might need you to start with the basics. I seem to have only really inherited the practical bits. I know the names of our Court and at least six different manners of reports. I remember how to make chemical reactions happen by being in their general vicinity and I couldn't possibly find getting around with my new self easier or more natural.
    But...if someone asked me to tell them what I am, or the connection between Masks and being serpentine I don't know if I could really tell them. Everything that happened to me felt like it was my idea but I don't even know how much of it really was."
    Because in hindsight, would she really have come up with a chameleon tongue on her own? She doesn't think so.
    ”You used the word Fey before. That’s the first time I even knew that.” and that can mean lots of things.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2021-05-25 at 10:53 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [The Hunter, Hunted]

Fayyaad can read the room, so to speak, and it's clear this man is someone Noc doesn't want him to meet. He's curious why, but now isn't really the time to inquire. Cassandra does have excellent taste in men, though, no matter what name and body she's using at the time.

"It's hard to say, but this Maddock character might be more likely to have captured her." Fayyaad doesn't sound convinced. "It's mostly a hunch, however. And I don't like our chances of spending time investigating him while Electra is elsewhere."
    [The Hunter, Hunted]

"Have to start somewhere," says Noc, quietly. His voice is the threatening kind of quiet, a half-whisper laden with soft menace. "If he's there, I can shake information out of him relatively quickly."

Fayyaad may suspect that whatever process Noc has in mind, it won't be pleasant for Maddock. If there's nothing else said, Noc will slide his mask on, turn and lead in the direction of Thunderhead, setting a quick, purposeful pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

5. - Top - End - #485

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Throne Room

Anika headbutts Sapphira in the gut. It's like hitting a brick wall. Sapphira laughs coldly. "Foolish bear. I am invincible!" With a wave of her hand, she conjures a blast of invisible force, powerful enough to possibly hurl the bear away from her.
    Erszébet flinches back from the flashbang, although Sapphira seems unaffected, right into Prumathe's attacks. Sliced and bleeding black ichor, she turns on him, her claws outstretched, attempting to grab hold of him.

And at this time, Wenomir emerges from a staircase to see everything unfolding.
    Throne Room

If Anika had let something as simple as a brick wall stop her she wouldn't even be here today. Someone that didn't run their head into a brick wall on a regular basis would probably be too smart to fight a demon lord head on like this.

But while Anika might really be a 'foolish bear' she was also damn proud of it!

Anika is thankfully not flung away too far by the blast as the heavier you were the harder gravity hit you when you came tumbling down. It still definitely hurt though, but now everything in her body seemed to be and that's how she knew things were going decently so far.

She's hurting but Blanche wasn't, meaning everything went exactly according to the only plan she came into this room with. But now she needed to keep that up.
    Getting up she was going to throw herself at Sapphira yet again as she has turned to face Prumathe. This time aiming to basically leap up on her back. Even if Sapphira could take a headbash to the stomach having a bear hanging on her back might at least impact her fighting style somewhat.

Sapphira was probably going to throw her around again but it would at least give Blanche enough time to deal with her only minion. Then they could focus all their attention at Sapphira.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post

"Of course not. If the only Fidelia I ever knew was a confused ghost, why would I care about what's 'real' and what isn't?" Saint Lazarus answers, before her own answer slaps her right in the face. Figuratively, I mean, not literally. If this weren't a realm of dreams I wouldn't feel the need to clarify, but since literally anything could happen here, it doesn't hurt to clarify.

"Okay...okay, fine, and maybe all the other zombies I've heard of are worse, but-" she doesn't actually have any rebuttal to follow that up with either, and it shows. There's still the matter of finding a way to preserve this Jenette if they ever find a way to cure her condition, but that's a concern for another time, I suppose. Really, all this soul stuff really means is that True Resurrection probably isn't the optimal strategy, not that Laz will never find a way to leave cannibalism behind.

"Lady Fidelia seem to think that you're more than your condition, Sir Lazarus and from what I've seen so far, I am inclined to believe her. She took quite a risk getting help for you so you've defenitly inspired a lot of loyalty, wherver you like it or not."
    Jaahlyn then glances at Fid, seemingly wanting her to try to take it from here. She knew Laz far better than this old satyr did and knew how to push the issue.

Throne Room

Blanche moves to exploit the results to the fullest extent, taking only a moment to note Sapphira's resistance with annoyance before snapping her aim to Erszébet and opening fire with a pair of three-round bursts to the chest, adding to the salvo if they somehow miss their mark. But watching bullets tear through flesh won't leave the feline satisfied for long - she'll move to close the distance even as hot brass clatters on the floor, dropping the rifle to hang from its sling. The dulled glint of a combat knife shines as she falls upon the body with a feral growl. This bitch wants to keep bringing her precious minion back to the field? Let's see how well that works with a knife through her throat.

Seeing that glimmer of recognition causes Fidelia to light up in a flurry of elation. "Yes! That's what I've been trying to get across to you all this time!" Jaahlyn doesn't even need to glance her way as she practically hops up to the dreaming knight, reaching out to take her hands. The words come pouring from her mouth, heedless of consequence and ringing with earnest faith. "You're the light of my life, and that doesn't change no matter what it is that makes you who you are to me."
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

6. - Top - End - #486

The words hit like a sledgehammer between the eyes. I mean, Jenette already knew them to be true, deep in her heart, but there was always that gnawing doubt, that lingering fear. What if Fi somehow didn't feel the same way? What if there was a reason Fi hadn't said anything like that before? What if she'd been trying so hard for someone who was only ever going to be her best friend, and hadn't shut her down yet out of fear of being put back out on the streets again? It's not like Fidelia had to do much to maintain her current lifestyle, things like kissing aren't even possible for them, given the risk of death or infection.

"Fi, I'm-" Once again, words aren't Jenette's strong suit, so she opts to just pull Fidelia into her arms, and then, after a moment's hesitation, press her lips to Fi's own. Jaahlyn might feel a little awkward watching this, but to hell with Jaahlyn; this might be one of the only safe spaces she can do this. There's none of the usual complications in the physical realm haunting even the most trivial of intimate gestures. After all, you can't get turned into a zombie in a dream.

"I've figured it out. The solution to everything. We need to do this again, but just the two of us," she whispers in Fidelia's ear, just a hint of mischief slipping into her voice. It's fine though, because you can't get turned into a zombie in a dream. See, she can even nibble her girlfriend's ear right here and now, and it won't put anyone in jeopardy because you can't get turned into a zombie in a dream. Holy ****, they can do anything here, can't they? They could even-

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down, Jenette! The goat lady is still here, remember? Hands above the waist, save the crazy stuff for another time. Tempting as it might be to just throw propriety out the window, we'll need that goat if we're going to make a regular thing out of these dreamscape trips, won't we?
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

7. - Top - End - #487

Jaahlyn steps backwards, recognizing what was going on right away. If it hadn't already been obvious, their dream-like sorrundings made it even more apparent to a dream-walker like her and there was a number of reasons as to why she didn't want to interfere with it.
    "I shall take my leave now. I will seek you out tomorrow where we can discuss things further... farewell and good luck." Though speaking of one of the reasons she didn't want to get involved she now couldn't resist to leave them with a parting gift.
    The satyr winks at them as she walks backwards out the door and seem to take all the gloom and darkness with her out the door. Shifting, nudging the entire dream in the direction towards the romantic.

While it was Laz's dream, Fidelia can still carry some influence over it. Though what that means for this dream is up to their players.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Orobou Office

"I can try my best. As I said, between sorting my mind through gaining the Mask and the possible inebriation during the inciting incident my memories of the last few days are a bit hazy."
    She fidgets with her tail, tapping the rattle at the end of it.
    "Um. I know it may sound daft but I might need you to start with the basics. I seem to have only really inherited the practical bits. I know the names of our Court and at least six different manners of reports. I remember how to make chemical reactions happen by being in their general vicinity and I couldn't possibly find getting around with my new self easier or more natural.
    But...if someone asked me to tell them what I am, or the connection between Masks and being serpentine I don't know if I could really tell them. Everything that happened to me felt like it was my idea but I don't even know how much of it really was."
    Because in hindsight, would she really have come up with a chameleon tongue on her own? She doesn't think so.
    ”You used the word Fey before. That’s the first time I even knew that.” and that can mean lots of things.
    Orobou Office

"Fey." Vez repeats thoughtfully. "Yes, that's a good place to start. It's the 'mortal term', but all the words we use here technically are. Fey are much like mortals really. We can reason and think and are usually divided into social groups, like this court for instance. However, as we have ancestral bodies we're able to enforce the rules of these groups in a much more reliable way. Those are what mortals know as 'Fey Laws'. Each court has their own Laws, some only applying only to certain positions within that court. But as each court is structured differently it's probably quite difficult for anyone outside the structure to understand as the commonly see fey as one single group. There's also sometimes invidual rules for certain fey, usually if they've broken rules that haven't been made Law yet. So keep in mind that that there are rules and Laws, rules can be broken but shouldn't while Laws cannot." The Adminstrator pauses for a moment and seems to clear his voice.

"The main responsibility of fey however is to keep the world from descending into chaos, hence why Laws are so important to us. While all courts might not agree to this it's a fact that all fey at least have a designated role to play. But as some courts do not apply Laws very strictly they sometimes don't do what they're supposed to do. Which can lead to a lot of mortals dying down the line if it isn't corrected. So you see that you have a great responsiblity once you start working, which won't be right away. Indeed, we expect your current body to expire before you're ready for that."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-05-26 at 06:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

[Throne Room]

Wenomir takes in the situation in the throne room in but a few blinks, forming a strategy. Anika is fighting the devil-queen herself. Blanche is trying to kill another devil, who is struggling with... some man he doesn't recognize. Ilpholin... is nowhere to be seen. Trepidation arises in Wenomir; what happened? Was she simply slowed down more than he was, or is she in trouble? Nothing he can do right now if she is. Best to finish it quickly.

Since Anika is currently on her own against Sapphira, Wenomir opts to move in that direction. He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes, and when he opens then, the world seems to slow down around him as it often does when his battle-focus takes over. He breaks into a run towards Sapphira, before finally leaping and coming crashing down behind her, his axe carving a silvery arc powered by his speed that tries to cut into her back. People watching him will see a blur of motion and force, but Sapphira's own speed might let her react in time.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Orobou Office

"Ah. So...I suppose my predecessor would normally have been given their own rules if they hadn't well, got thrown at me instead." Vez did say he disapproved of the punishment, so perhaps that would have been what he would have chosen for them.
    "But not any in particular for me. Ah, I suppose if there are rules you think I should know about, I should ask that. And ah, the nature of my look, is that a Law? It just felt...like it ought to be." If Laws cannot be broken at all, it would explain that some things simply had to happen given her new nature.
    "At least, I do seem to have an idea about my position. I think. Positions?" She does vaguely remember there might have been more than one mask...

10. - Top - End - #490

Spoiler
    Show

The words hit like a sledgehammer between the eyes. I mean, Jenette already knew them to be true, deep in her heart, but there was always that gnawing doubt, that lingering fear. What if Fi somehow didn't feel the same way? What if there was a reason Fi hadn't said anything like that before? What if she'd been trying so hard for someone who was only ever going to be her best friend, and hadn't shut her down yet out of fear of being put back out on the streets again? It's not like Fidelia had to do much to maintain her current lifestyle, things like kissing aren't even possible for them, given the risk of death or infection.

"Fi, I'm-" Once again, words aren't Jenette's strong suit, so she opts to just pull Fidelia into her arms, and then, after a moment's hesitation, press her lips to Fi's own. Jaahlyn might feel a little awkward watching this, but to hell with Jaahlyn; this might be one of the only safe spaces she can do this. There's none of the usual complications in the physical realm haunting even the most trivial of intimate gestures. After all, you can't get turned into a zombie in a dream.

"I've figured it out. The solution to everything. We need to do this again, but just the two of us," she whispers in Fidelia's ear, just a hint of mischief slipping into her voice. It's fine though, because you can't get turned into a zombie in a dream. See, she can even nibble her girlfriend's ear right here and now, and it won't put anyone in jeopardy because you can't get turned into a zombie in a dream. Holy ****, they can do anything here, can't they? They could even-

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down, Jenette! The goat lady is still here, remember? Hands above the waist, save the crazy stuff for another time. Tempting as it might be to just throw propriety out the window, we'll need that goat if we're going to make a regular thing out of these dreamscape trips, won't we?

Jaahlyn steps backwards, recognizing what was going on right away. If it hadn't already been obvious, their dream-like sorrundings made it even more apparent to a dream-walker like her and there was a number of reasons as to why she didn't want to interfere with it.
    "I shall take my leave now. I will seek you out tomorrow where we can discuss things further... farewell and good luck." Though speaking of one of the reasons she didn't want to get involved she now couldn't resist to leave them with a parting gift.
    The satyr winks at them as she walks backwards out the door and seem to take all the gloom and darkness with her out the door. Shifting, nudging the entire dream in the direction towards the romantic.

While it was Laz's dream, Fidelia can still carry some influence over it. Though what that means for this dream is up to their players.

Avenue of Not-So-Unpleasant Dreams

That moment of hesitation might be all Fidelia needs to take back part of the initiative and initiate the kiss herself, pressing into Jenette with an eager passion. This was a confession she had been steeling herself for even before they had gone to sleep and come to the same conclusions on infection. Sealing it with a kiss was just how she'd planned it to do, and she intended to make good on her wildest hopes.

"I, hah, I think- I think I'd like that." She gasps as she feels the touch of her teeth against her skin, leaning into her girlfriend's affections with an almost uncharacteristically girlish giggle. "Oh, you- you have no idea how many times I've dreamed of something like this."

The very presence of Jaahlyn seems to slip from her mind as the scenery starts to shift into something loosely akin to Jenette's bedroom, tinged with pink lighting and with a far more fancy and inviting bed in the center. Her focus on smooching only pauses when the satyr speaks up, drawing her eyes back towards Jaahlyn with some reluctance. Um- h-hey, before- before you go... do you think that- um, this is a kind of hunger for flesh, right? Do you- do you think it might count?"
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

11. - Top - End - #491

Avenue of Not-So-Unpleasant Dreams

Jaahlyn stops the moment she's addressed. Her black eyes slowly focusing in on Fidelia as if she had trouble seeing her.

"I..."

The poor lady had no idea how much that question tempted her. There were so many lewd assertions she could make. So many jokes that had now started to occur to her. But she knew these were warning signals, if she stayed here any longer this dream might take a even more drastic turn.

"...yes." She replies while taking another backwards step towards the exit. "NowIreallygottagobye!" She makes a dramatic bow before backing out the rest of the way and is then seemingly being swallowed up by the dream.

Orobou Office

"There are also what you'd recognize as prisons, but those usually reserved for fey outside our court." Vez clarifies before Artie switches topics. "As for your chosen appearance, that's your interpretation of the mask you're currently wearing." One of Vex's tails makes a quick sketch, as in seconds, and while he wasn't even looking at the paper the simple wooden mask drawn there looks almost photo-realistic as he shows it to her.

"Mask being almost like a mortal job or perhaps more accurately the experience and identity you acquire from one. Each mask carrying with it it's own focus and even appearance meaning that your body and mind can change depending on which one you choose to wear. Your exact position of course depending on your masks as they all carry their own expertise. I should point out that usually the masks carried by a single fey are all very similar so the changes aren't as drastic as I might make them out to be."

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Orobou Office

Ah. Well, Artie can probably put the blame on her predecessor's tastes that she went an inherited then. Or perhaps simply that Masks of her Court carry the reptilian imagery on their own. It's best not to worry about it. The fact that her mind might change even more with her other masks is probably more of a concern. Even if it's only a little.
    But wow, this might be a dream but Vez is quite the artist. The mask does certainly look like the burnished one she remembers from before.
    "Well, I suppose that does make sense. I will have to keep my masks straight. I don't know about my other ones, but if they're similar I should manage. I ah, don't suppose they're on record?
    Otherwise, well, I guess I should be asking about the rules I'm expected to follow while I'm off in the Nexus for a while. I will worry about the ones when I'm working when I get to them..."
    Hey, at least she knows that she has job security.
    Even if it's more like a bureaucratic afterlife sort of scenario to her still mortal frame of reference.

13. - Top - End - #493

NinjaGuy

[The Hunter, Hunted]

The location Dipsnig provided proves to be easy enough to find, though when Noc and Fayyaad arrive, it's fairly obvious Electra was here at one point. Numerous holes have been blasted into the warehouse's walls by energy weapons fire, and the holes are still fresh. Indeed, a few of the warehouse's contents are still smoldering or on fire; visible even from the street. Through the new ventilation, Fayyaad and Noc can see two figures still moving inside. One is massive and appears to be artificial in nature; 12 feet tall, and it moves in manner more akin to a machine than anything organic. The other is human-sized, but doesn't seem to be moving as much. This person, however, is of a much different build than Electra, and seems to possibly be injured. The two appear to be talking, but at this distance, Noc and Fayyaad will be hard-pressed to make out what they're saying to each other.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

14. - Top - End - #494
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Mirror of Art]
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    The ranger thinks about it.
    And she shows the mirror to Ein.
    "It took me several hours just to figure out how to move it around comfortably," she says, and then adds, "and it took me a month to get used to just...doing more than the basics."

The mirror, obviously, shows the other world.
    "I used to have to move it around physically all the time..." She lets go of the mirror and it hangs in place, and then swivels around Ein, showing more of the room that the 'other side' is in. "But...yeah, somehow, I figured out how to control the body attached to the other side as long as I'm near it."
    Probably some sort of psychic connection. Makes sense. Unfortunately, the ranger doesn't really know anything about psychic connections and would be completely unable to explain how it works or maybe even what it is, other than 'look I can do this, sorry I don't think anyone else can'.
    Ein watches the mirror hover and swivel in the air, apparently suspended by nothing. They reach in to poke at it, and look this-way-and-that - it is dark on the other side of the mirror, after all.
    Unlike the ranger, they do know a bit about psychic connections. Maybe they notice the connection between it and the ranger, a bit? Which still doesn't help anyone else, not yet.
    "How near must you be? Is there a second mirror, on the other side, that the body keeps with it?"

[Bucket of Slime]
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    The slimegirl wonders what her kidnapper means by 'we can probably deal with that'. Like...what? A computer? No, that doesn't work for more than a few letters at a time. And don't get her started on touchscreens! It's like whoever designed them didn't even consider that someone made of slime might want to use them! At least, the ones she tried. And just pointing at things is way too slow and boring.

She sticks her hand out of the bucket - not the one that grabbed the handle, because it's too liquidy to hold form after grabbing onto that - to answer the questions. Her hand is balled into a fist, mimicking the ball-like shape of a head.
    And, while listening to the questions she looks out at the surroundings – the zombies, or whatever else is around.

Her hand shakes 'no' to the first two questions - no (she doesn't urgently need to go somewhere, although she would very much appreciate if she was no longer getting kidnapped, because it's very disturbing how someone could just carry her away just like that; and, no, there's nobody looking for her even back in that mist. And besides! You put her in a bucket and are kidnapping her! Are you just hoping for someone you can ransom her off to, or something? If you ever stop walking and stick her in a prison cell or something, you'd better beware because she's not going to just sit around waiting for kidnappers to find someone willing to buy her or whatever it is you sickos want. Sure, there's nobody waiting for her but that doesn't justify kidnapping her and auctioning her off! Don't presume she's going to cooperate! She's going to tell everybody what an awful deal it is to buy her.

To the following question, she wants to roll her eyes but that wouldn't show up on her facial features at all. Ugh, how frustrating. Obviously she's an actual living creature! Isn't that obvious? Her hand then 'nods' but unfortunately it can't even come close to conveying how disgusted she is by why her status as a living being is even in question. Opacity is not a measure of personhood! Obviously.

Finally, she opens her fist. Finally, a decent question! Which she can't exactly answer. Is it bad to put her in water? Well, depends on the circumstance and the chemical makeup of the water and the temperature and maybe a few other things like how long she'd be in it and what exactly you mean by 'bad'. Bad for her? Sometimes. Bad for someone trying to kidnap her and hold her in place? Definitely, she might be able to escape. Or maybe it won't be bad.
    So,
    She just, with an open hand in a cupping shape face down, she rotates the hand back and forth to give off the feeling of 'more or less'. Maybe. Depends. Honestly, without seeing the water in question, there's really no way she can just give a definitive answer.
    Well, she could have been a mechanical being made out of nanobots, or a ghost made out of ecto-slime. The kidnapper wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. They're don't bother explaining any of this, though, because they got the necessary answer. This is all seems to be going so well. A living slime, and with nowhere to be, exactly like they'd hoped!

They're leave the zombies behind soon enough, ducking behind a broken brick wall and down through a trap door, climbing down a ladder carefully enough not to spill a bucket. As long as the bucket cooperates, anyway. If the slimegirl wanted to make an escape attempt, this would be a great time to get splashed across the dusty walls of this surprising wide vertical tunnel.

"You're going to help us." That's not a question. "Apparently there used to be other creatures kind of like you - all squishy and flowing shape - with us, but, they didn't make it to the Nexus." Also not a question. Hopefully they don't want the slimegirl to answer any of this.

"Do you have a name?" That's a question, and it's yes/no at that! Though the obvious follow-up would be difficult to answer.
    "Does heat bother you? As hot as mammals are? Hot enough to boil water? Hot enough to burn plants? How about cold?"
    As they climb further down, the walls stop being dirt and stone, and start being slimy and alive, like they're heading into the mouth of a giant...

Hive Scouts
    It takes time, but the group can make their way up to the entrance. From below, there are the sounds of heated battle. They aren't the first to have arrived here, but they probably knew that.
    No surprise that they're a little late, given that they weren't invited to take part in Sapphira's weird games. But it sounds like there's no time to waste! They hurry onward and down towards the sound of battle. Slyvette is instructed to hang behind and keep an eye out for anything else arriving.
    Haru, of course, goes first first, making herself visible and noticeable as her talons carry her down the stairs, and shouting. "Sapphira! You didn't forget about us, did you?!"
    Kiun is following more slowly, taking in the scene that they find before them.

[Shivernight Manor]
    Yes, please. No, you ssshall die, infidel! As the chains melt their way off Ophelia, Sekhmet nods to the slaves. "Go get them. I'll do what I can to restore your voices." Then she yelps in fright, as a very angry demonic snake woman is uncoiling, lunging at Geneva with murder in her eyes. "No! Stop!"
    017 and 026 do their best to catch the angry demonic snake woman before she can get to Geneva, to grab her hands (or should they be more worried about the tail?) and keep her from doing any harm.
    3 stays closer to Sekhmet.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

[Waste Land]

Krayger and Reina will come to a strange place in pursuit of the new job. It seems to be a quiet, unassuming plain, looking as if in autumn despite summer being very much on. Birds aren't singing, insects aren't buzzing... it's strangely quiet. There are no towns, villages or other signs of civilization in sight, as well.

Under a weeping willow waits the same elf that brought the job to MERC. Accompanying her are two other elves, clad in strange armor that resembles insect carapace but is made of some flexible metal. They hold long, heavy glaives and their heads are covered by helmets.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Orc in the Playground

Shivernight Manor

The halflings are a little nervous around the snake-lady, and will mostly stay out of her way, but one will try to help the numbered people by grabbing at one arm.

Throne Room

Prumathe is too inexperienced with his sword to know how to easily dodge the attacks, and once the demon is past the sword there's not much he can do to avoid being grabbed. Once grabbed, however, he channels his magic into his head to reinforce his skull and swings his head forward to headbutt (Erzsebet? I think she's the one grabbing him, but SC seems to think it's Sapphira doing that) her in the face. His skull is, at the time he swings, as heavy as lead and as sturdy as decent steel, with his neck strong enough to handle it, so whilst he'll probably bruise his face and maybe break his nose, it's going to hurt.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

17. - Top - End - #497

[Shivernight Manor]

Well.

Geneva recoils a bit, but that doesn't seem like it's totally needed.

After all!

A bunch of people just pounced on the springing snake to restrain her.

End result?

The snake women's face is now dangerously close to the little floating felinoid with great big blue eyes. Thankfully she didn't get closer. Ophilia could probably swallow Geneva whole.

But hey!

Being close makes it easier to focus all that psychic might on her, right?

The demon will find itself on the receiving end of an ego-crushing psionic assault, its sense of self and will battered at mercilessly. Temporary ego death will probably make it pretty hard for the demon to resolve itself from the opposed human mind, let alone stand up against the woman's will. If this isn't successful, Geneva will redouble the efforts, probing at mental weaknesses and concocting a rather Nasty Plot to breach them.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmćre Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

Shivernight Manor
    Thoroughly restrained, one of the snake woman's minds is blasted to oblivion. She gasps and flops loosely in the arms holding her. "What did you... Do?" she asks weakly.
    Sekhmet turns to the halfling slaves again. "Okay, uh, it's time." She telepathically stirs Bluefoot and roughly sets her down. Open them. NOW! She does not sound very pleased, bringing significant psychic force to bear on the unfortunate cultist.

Throne Room

Many things happen at once. Erzsébet's perfect face is bashed in by Prumathe's skull, stunning her, but as he pulls away, she's already starting to regenerate, her bones knitting back together. It keeps her from avoiding the bullets which pierce her back and leave her weakened, nor does she notice Blanche creeping up behind her to finish the job.
    Sapphira takes having a bear hanging off her surprisingly well, not even seeming strained. She spins around, probably throwing Anika off and turning to face Wenomir, her blade flicking up to parry the axe with unnatural strength and speed. Simultaneously, Haru enters the scene behind her, and for a brief instant, a genuine emotion flashes across Sapphira's face: worry. It's gone as soon as it began. She raises an arm, and a portal appears, growing larger and larger. Out of it come pouring succubi in all manner of clothing. Their eyes are glassy and uninterested, like the receptionist downstairs. "Kill them all. Except him and him." The two she singles out to be spared are Prumathe and Wenomir. The minions attack wildly, swarming into the room with no regard for tactics. And Sapphira leaps at Wenomir, sword in her left hand and flames in her right, whirling through the air to strike at him. "Pity we came to blows so soon. I wanted to speak with you."
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-05-31 at 02:20 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Waste Land]

Krayger and Reina will come to a strange place in pursuit of the new job. It seems to be a quiet, unassuming plain, looking as if in autumn despite summer being very much on. Birds aren't singing, insects aren't buzzing... it's strangely quiet. There are no towns, villages or other signs of civilization in sight, as well.

Under a weeping willow waits the same elf that brought the job to MERC. Accompanying her are two other elves, clad in strange armor that resembles insect carapace but is made of some flexible metal. They hold long, heavy glaives and their heads are covered by helmets.
    [Waste Land]

Reina arrives at the appointed time. The primary thing to note about her otherwise practical and relatively non-descript outfit is that it has exactly zero metal to it. Her boots are thick rubber and a pair of specialized rubber gloves hangs at her side, waiting for use. No doubt for when weapons get involved.

She's a little surprised to see the elves holding lightning rods, but figures they must have some enchantment prepared. She's not sure any of these are the prince who is supposed to get the killing blow anyways. Just in case, the catgirl provides a light bow. "Talhora?"
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-05-31 at 02:07 AM.
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

20. - Top - End - #500

[Mirror of Art]

"From what I could tell, the other side looks just like me, except with a mirror instead of a face." She rotates it down. "That's why you can see a body at this angle."
    The ranger talks a bit about it. "At first, I had to actually be touching it, but now I can be...well...I don't actually have to see it, but it has to be within a distance that I could see, if there was nothing in the way."

She moves it around a bit more, in case it helps. Yeah, there is totally a psychic connection that Ein could notice, if they can notice that sort of thing. "Likewise, at first, I had to actually move it around to make the body on the other side move. Like...so the other side of this mirror matches up with this side, where we are now. And I had to physically move it in a one to one movement. But I guess, over time, I've been able to have that move independent from here." So, with practice or with time, she's gotten better at it; which implies the rules she originally thought aren't concrete. (Such as, only her being able to control it, and so on.)

[Bucket of Slime]

But everybody knows that nanobot goo or ghost slimes don't exist.
    At least, this slimegirl hasn't actually ever considered the possibility that they exist. If she thought about it, she would admit they probably exist. After all, she exists so it would be reasonable to say something else exists too. But she's never given any thought to it before.

The slimegirl doesn't attempt to escape. She's somewhat given up on trying to get out right now and doesn't want to find herself lost somewhere that she doesn't know again. Besides, being in the bucket is very disorienting. She needs quite a few moments of stillness to feel confident in her ability to hold herself together.

Helping people is good, she thinks, but then why would they kidnap her? This whole thing is sketch. Don't kidnap people. Obviously.

She gives a 'yes' for a name. 'No' heat doesn't bother her. 'Yes', temperature-wise mammals are fine. Boiling water...
    Ugh.
    Another hard question.
    She makes a gesture that could mean confusion, or difficulty answering. Then, more-or-less. It bothers her. Feeling air bubbles forming inside you as you dehydrate is a very uncomfortable feeling. She's fine with it for a period of time, but has never let all of the water in her boil off.
    Wait! Why are they even asking her this, anyway? Are they planning on boiling her or something?
    The next question, burning plants, is just as difficult, for the exact same reason. Water in her keeps her at the same boiling temperature even when touching something hotter. That's just how boiling works. She hopes her kidnapper is smart enough to already know this, because she doesn't think she could find a way to explain it without speaking or a demonstration (which she would rather not do, because it's uncomfortable and quickly makes her feel less able to hold herself together.)

Back to an easy question, though! Cold. 'No,' it doesn't bother her. Well, it does, but not more than anyone else, she thinks. As long as she doesn't freeze solid, she's fine with it but getting too cold is a problem because she doesn't naturally produce heat (except from friction) and so she's basically just depending on the fact that water is basically a heat sink and the outside freezes first.

Seeing the walls become more alive makes her feel a little hopeful, because then she realizes it's going to be harder to trap her in these types of nature-themed prisons. All she has to do is dissolve through it! A lot better than being in a bucket or a metal container or glass or whatever. A glass prison would be the worst, actually, she thinks. No way to get out. It's actually been one of her recurring nightmares that she gets trapped in some kind of mad science-like chemical glassware, with a Bunsen burner underneath and water titration things in all the right places to ensure she doesn't ever get solid enough to try to move the glass and make it fall down. At least with metal, she could hope that she could slowly etch it away, as long as she had enough water to make sure she doesn't get filled with metal junk. Speaking of! She'd really like some fresh water right now, because the toxic fumes from earlier are still absorbed into her and are pretty awful.

The slimegirl, with her hand, makes a 'drinking' gesture.
    She hopes that's clear enough.
    She wants water, please. Not a lot. Just enough to flush out the toxins.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2021-05-31 at 04:30 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Waste Land

Krayger also arrives at the appointed time. He's dressed very simply in his usual pants. Given the information on the target it did seem like a full metal breastplate would not be helpful in this instance. But he wasn't about to go and get himself non-metallic guns.
    Perhaps he could have dressed more fancifully. But they hired a mercenary, not a retainer. He gives a shallow bow and lets the elves answer the original question.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

[Throne Room]

"I hardly have time to speak to every demon before I cut their head off. I'm a busy man."

Wenomir's axe snaps upwards to parry and intercept Sapphira's attacks, then retaliate in kind. She's probing Sapphira's defences and getting her measure. But something else springs to him. More possessed people. No doubt she plans for the Vigil members to hesitate to hurt them. He can take them out with the Answer non-lethally, but can he disengage from Sapphira?

"Would you mind either hurrying up and dying or waiting for a bit? I have something important to take care of."

His tactics switch; instead of weaving a pattern of parries and strikes, he seems almost bored as he goes on the defensive. It takes a tremendous amount of concentration to make it look nonchalant, but he keeps it up for now. As he does, he's also backing away, trying to goad her into following, away from the rest of the fighters.

[The Hunter, Hunted]

Fayyaad's mood lifts slightly as he sees the weapon marks. They're likely on the right trail. Not many people tote this kind of weaponry, even in Skyside.

"We need to get closer," he says to Noc quietly.

[Waste Land]

The elf nods back.

"It is I, yes. And you must be from MERC. This is the land which the great bird has ravaged. We must follow its trail, which may take us past a township afflicted the madness it spreads. Our prince will join us along the road."

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

[Waste Land]

"That's correct," Reina assures them. These are the MERCateers they're looking for. She frowns a little though. She admittedly hoped the beast was further out in the wild and hadn't gotten to civilization yet. Seems like it was creating big problems already.

"We'd better hurry then. Lead the way." A bit strange to meet the Prince halfway, but presumably he's trying to clean up some of the mess this bird caused and is a busy man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

24. - Top - End - #504

Throne Room

That had gone about as well as Anika had expected. While she isn't thrown off by the spin those claws of hers and not terribly good at grabbing onto things (unless she digs her claws into them) so she slips and kinda glides off Sapphira as she the succubus queen makes her way towards Wenomir.

It looked like they were going to have to fight mocks instead which was always lame. As if these queen of pain-wannabes could stack up with VIGIL and... all the random people who were wandering into the throne room.

Turns out if you put your evil base in the middle of a city a lot of people were going to come to investigating it.
    But if these demons wanted a piece of this bear-ass, they better come and get it.
    Anika charges, but not towards the demons this time. She's going straight towards Blanche and will attempt to scoot her up on her back. The demons had been ordered to kill them right? Well, in that case they would have to follow them...

Orobou Office

"We do have a record of the masks, yes. But keep in mind, the mask adjust after their wearer. You look more like yourself than your predecessor but it might not be limited to just appearance. Though considering how many 'might' I'm throwing in here, a mortals influence of the masks carried by them is not something which has been thoroughly researched yet. For this reason you might get into future interviews with some of our scientists. But that will be between you and them of course."

Vex pauses and opens a drawer to pull out some papers which he quickly glances at. "But... before we look at your papers I should make a clarification considering your second question. Most of our Laws and rules only applies to the aether. Or heaven as you might call it. Our court rarely manifest within your physical world so there aren't that many rules applying to it. There are all sort of restrictions on who can and when, usually involving a lot of permissions. You're actually being in somewhat of a unique position where you've bypassed all that. That said, there are still expectations in how you behave. As we manifest so rarely, we wouldn't want those who do give us a bad reputation."

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Waste Land

Well, it sounds like things have already gotten rather grim.
    ”What sort of madness are we talking here?” Krayger asks simply as he fishes through his bag for an additional pad to put on.

Orobou Office

Artie nods. She...mostly gets it. It’s still a bit horrifying but she gets it. She has no plans on changing masks and personality any time soon.
    ”Well, alright. But I can assure you that you don’t have to worry about my conduct. I have no plans to go committing crimes or any such unsavory activities.”
    Unless of course their code of conduct is for some reason more esoteric.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2021-06-02 at 05:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

[Waste Land]

"A lust for battle, and for the revelry that comes after it," Tallhora explains as she leads the way down an empty road. The two elven guards say nothing. "We have seen people driven both to fight and to engage in wanton merry-making. Sometimes both at the same time. You must guard your minds as well as your bodies when you face the beast."

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

[Waste Land]

"Don't suppose you have a recommendation as to how to do that?" Maybe those helmets they were wearing were of some use after all. Or maybe Reina needed to invest in a tin foil hat. "Does it induce madness via sight, sound, or spell?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Wasteland

"I've no interest in attending any more magical dances. Fighting will be limited to what I'm being paid to do. Do we know of anything it doesn't like being hit with?" Krayger asks, inspecting a number of colorful shells. Salt or iron pellets can be surprisingly effective against particularly magical things, but only very specific magical things.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

[Waste Land]

"The beast will try to seize on your existing emotions. Creating new ones is difficult," Tallhora explains. "You must watch yourselves and each other. If you find your companion become inflamed with passion, warn them. I will try to do the same. The beast cannot control you or suddenly turn your heart, so if you remain vigilant, its power can be avoided." To Krayger, she says. "The creature has no weaknesses as such, but it appears to fear water and smoke and avoid them when possible. If you can think of a way to use it, it might help turn the tide."

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

[Waste Land]

"Uhh... sure. I'll keep that in mind." Well earplugs and lead hats are out. This'll be difficult. Vigilance is ambiguous. Reina can shut off her emotions for the big things when it matters at least. But those are the big things and this was a bird.

"Do you have any holy water bullets?" She asks Krayger. As far as water or smoke, that's the most she can think of. Divine providence might not matter, but the liquid would.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2021-06-07 at 12:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast