New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 9: Srsr and srsr

[Sylvanas]

Okay.

So.

Imagine a large predatory beetle. Like a tiger beetle! The sort that run around really quickly in the sand while being a nice metallic green color.

Now imagine a bear. You know what bears look like, right? Of course you do.

Now mix both of those things together and add some antlers that might also be antenna.

That's what suddenly comes crashing through the underbrush with disturbing speed, only to briefly stop and begin sniffing around.

It clacks its mandibles together, caustic green fluid dripping to the forest floor.

Magdalene reaches over to clap her hand over Fido's mouth just in case he does something dumb.

Could Magdalene take it without any of her gear? Maybe. Could she take it without any of her gear while ALSO making sure it doesn't kill Fido?

She isn't sure of that.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Sylvanas

Fido has no intent on saying anything, eyes wide at the horrific bugbear he sees. He doesn't resist the hand over his mouth, but doesn't even whimper.

He might still give his position away, though. He's just wet himself, which would be very embarrassing if he weren't so absolutely terrified.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

[A Cold Day]

Lots are down, lots are left. This sure would be easier if she could adjust which way was 'down'.
    "Still a while longer." Anchor calls down. It seems like just Sekhmet's head is free.

Now, these souls frozen in the walls of the chasm, silently screaming for eternity, they must be suffering immensely, right?
    Anchor starts trying to collect that suffering.

" ͍̗̹͖̝̝ͨ͛̎̕͝l̶̴͉̣̣̼̔͞ ͖̜͙̰͚͎̰͏͂ͤ͐̎s̠͏̀ͩ̓ͦ ̢̢̩̻ͤ̄͐p ͍̗̹͖̝̝ͨ͛̎̕͝l̶̴͉̣̣̼̔͞ ͖̜͙̰͚͎̰͏͂ͤ͐̎s̠͏̀ͩ̓ͦ ̢̢̩̻ͤ̄͐p ͍̗̹͖̝̝ͨ͛̎̕͝l̶̴͉̣̣̼̔͞ ͖̜͙̰͚͎̰͏͂ͤ͐̎s̠͏̀ͩ̓ͦ ̢̢̩̻ͤ̄͐p-" she chants, collecting the feelings of biting cold, of being hopelessly trapped, and turning them into energy that glows brighter and brighter between her fingertips as she moves through the motions of the rest of the spell.

[Visiting Family]

I don't think anyone here knew that 'paladin' was a distinct taste.
    "Hey, they like you."
    And now, we can leave Zophiel to get to know his new animal.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-11-21 at 11:04 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Zophiel slices a lot of things. He slices a line through the creatures, sending parts of them into the abyss. He slices into the ice wall,. cracking it. The cracks begin to spiderweb across its surface. Meanwhile, Sekhmet screams. And then immediately says, "Shh. I'm here to rescue you."
    "Who are you?" "I'm, uh, you, I guess?"
    "No! You can't be! You're everything I always wanted to prove I wasn't!"

The two Sekhmets are suddenly fighting, one frozen up to her waist in ice shoving at the other who's struggling to keep flying and melting the first free in the face of the onslaught.

And Anchor?
    She can gather tons of suffering here. Thousands of souls, all trapped in hopeless frozen agony for eternity, feed her magic.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #65

[Sylvanas]

That smell.

There are lots of smells here. Lots of scents. Likes of creatures. But if there's anything that will catch the attention of any predatory beast it's the smell of fresh urine and fear. The bugbear immediately turns toward the huddled hiding place, its antlers (antenna?) waving with interest.

"(Flower) here I go killin' stuff again. When I'm done don't (flowering) run or I will (flowering) eat you," Magdalene hisses as her antlers grow in at a terrifying rate, the velvet splitting open with a spurt of blood and eldritch magic.

Then she transforms into a huge, awful monster that's equal part human, reindeer, and wolf. That bitter, hungry cold of the winter forest radiates from her making Fido's skin numb and stomach cramp with emptiness. Thankfully Magdalene doesn't stay nearby for very long. No, the wendigo pounces on the bugbear and the two huge predators are immediately tearing at each other.

Well!

This is definitely no less fearful than the previous situation was.

Is Fido going to stay in place?

Or is he goes to run?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Sylvanas

If he runs, the scary monster the girl turned into will eat him. If he stays here and she loses, the bugbear will eat him.

Fido watches as Magdalene leaves, and watches the two beasties fight. He's lost, totally and utterly. He needs the girl to get him out of here. If he runs, and she can't find him, he's helpless and alone until he's eaten by the next beasty, or slips and falls through the trees. There's no ground, so he's practically guaranteed to be injured when he stops falling. If he runs and she does find him, she'll eat him. And hopefully feel bad about it, but that won't help him. If she loses, he can try to get away from here whilst the bugbear eats her corpse, see if he can find his own way out. Or get eaten by something else.

Best bet, therefore, is staying put. He watches the fight, knowing that the victor will pretty much decide his fate, if he gets out of here or is eaten.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

[A Cold Day]

All Zophiel really can do is buy time.
    With this many creatures, he can't hold them off forever. Eventually, one will slip past both him and Anchor.
    All he can do is buy enough time for her to get out.
    That's why hearing Sekhmet arguing in stereo is concerning. No progress means eventually one will get through.

He leans out of the cave and takes the risk to look upwards to see what's happening up there. Anchor...well, so far, she's been more effective than Zophiel at stopping them, he thinks. And she looks busy preparing something, so she probably won't be able to interfere.
    Holding his single sword tight, the paladin jumps out of the cave and starts flying again, flying upwards as fast as he can. If those two keep on fighting, one of them is going to fall and the other is going to still be stuck, and then they'll fail. So, in his mind, stopping them from fighting like that is the only way they can all get out of this safely.

Given how far down he dove (to set the front line down as far as possible), it takes him a few long moments to get up.

Once the paladin finally reaches the Sekhmets, he says, "Hey," to draw attention to himself, and then thrusts the sword into the icewall above and to the side of the Sekhmets.

He still holds on to the sword so that he can hang there without having to fly or interfere with Sekhmet's flight.
    With his other arm, and with the goal of holding the frozen Sekhmet and calming her down and stopping the fighting and also to apologize to her, he tries to grab her upper body into a one-armed hug. "Don't worry, you're going to be okay now," he says. "I shouldn't have left you alone in that church; I'm sorry, you're in this mess because of me."

Unfortunately, wrapping an arm around the frozen Sekhmet would mean that arm is too close to the flying Sekhmet's ice-melting flames.
    While ordinarily you'd assume someone would need three arms to hold the sword, Zophiel can manage fine with just one. So it's not a huge loss if one gets burned by Sekhmet's flames.

[VF]

Yup. Zophiel gets to know Caramel.
    And paladins definitely do have their own unique taste. Probably. Well, maybe not all paladins.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-11-21 at 11:49 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #68

Default [A Cold Day]

Well, it sounds like someone needs to resolve things between the two Sekhmets. How ironic that the person they came to rescue would cause such trouble!
    But Anchor has to finish this spell, do something with all the absorbed suffering, or they'll have several problems.
    Oh good, Zophiel is going to handle it. She lets herself glide down a few moments, until they two of them have passed...

And then she recites -p̢̢̻̩͐̄ͤ ͦ̓ͩ̀͏̠s̎͐ͤ͂͏̰͎͚̰͙̜͖ ̴̶̼̣̣͉̔͞l̝̝͖̹̗͍̎͛ͨ̕͝ i̇̽̏̃́͟ ̘͔͖̗͎ͯ͊̓͊͋c̙ͪ ̷̘͉̘̒n̢͕̼ͥ̔ͦ̌͑ ä̧̧̮̤͍̗͙̘̫̹́͆̅̑̓̒ͬ̾g͈̭̱̤̞̭̺̿̍ͯ ̠̲ͣ͋ͮ̏ͭ̒ͩ́ ̶͈̖̻̬̓̓̉ͭͩ̽ͧn̶̺̰̮̠͕̠ͩͮ̉ ̗̞̜͕̤̹͔̱̔ͫͦͮͮ̋̃̑ͮ̀̕͞ẓ̷̛̼̖͇̥̼͇̜͐̚ ̅ͦͬ͂̃ͤ͏͙͇͓r̖̹͙̹̦̀̉̈́̔̌̊͝! and completes the spell.

A pillar of fire shoots down from Anchor's outstretched hands, and then divides and divides again until there's a beam of flames racing towards every single one of the charging monsters. And a few more beams just filling the air, melting into the landscape, etc. For a few moments, the thousands of damned souls here should be relatively free of their torment, as it's all used to fuel this terrible outpouring of destructive magic.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-11-22 at 02:00 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Sekhmet sees Zophiel and actually calms down a bit. "You, uh. It wasn't your fault." She definitely recognizes him. "Okay. Uh, I'll come with you." There's one problem though. She doesn't have wings. Sekhmet finally melts Sekhmet free. "Here, uh, grab hold of me." Sekhmet grabs onto Sekhmet... And then there's suddenly a panic. "What are you doing? Get your hand out of me!" When they're looked at, the others can see the two Sekhmets liquifying and flowing into each other. It's a horrifying process.

And Anchor.
    Her spell disintegrates a large section of the cavern, along with all the creatures. Eerie silence fills the abyss. Then with a horrible creaking sound, it begins to collapse, huge chunks of ice from the walls and ceiling tumbling down. They need to get out of here. Now.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #70

[A Cold Day]

Once the frozen Sekhmet is free, Zophiel lets go over her (thinking the other Sekhmet would be the best option to fly her out) and pushes off the wall to dislodge his sword.
    He falls for a bit, which
    unfortunately
    leaves him too far from the two to actually do anything. There's nothing he could really do fast enough, anyway, to stop those two from flowing into each other, but. . .if he was closer, he would at least try something. Already too far, though, so.

His wings start flapping, to stop his fall. "Fly upwards!" he shouts. "Watch out! We'll sort this out when we're safe!" he then promises.

The paladin puts the sword away and flies sideways to avoid a falling chunk of ceiling.
    He still needs to retrieve his other sword. He pulls on a transparent thread, and the black web below collapses; he starts reeling in the sword that's down low.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #71

Default [A Cold Day]

Oh. Hmm. Anchor suspects that she may have overdone it a bit there.
    But the spindly tunnel fiends are gone. On that measure it was an inarguable success.
    She flies back up towards Sekhmet, delayed as a patch of ice in front of her cracks and crumbles out of the wall, forcing her to swoop around it.
    "What happened? I mean, is her soul trying to get back into its body?"
    "Doesn't matter - can you fly?"

If she gets a negative response, Anchor will try to grab the melting Sekhmets and lift them up with her. Which would be a terrible strain on her shadow wings, but she can manage it for a short time.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Sekhmet starts flying awkwardly up. Her voices are starting to mingle together into one, "I don't know what's happening!" Four eyes are nervously flicking about as she continues upward. "But I'm starting to remember things I didn't do!" They both say that, looking very worried. "I remember-

-Finding relics in Marlick Bay!"

-Marrying Prumathe!"

The two are looking increasingly difficult to distinguish. It's harder and harder to tell that they're not one person.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #73

[Sylvanas]

The fight is short, brutal, and bloody.

Fights like these, battles to the death, usually don't last long. They continue until one party manages to mortally wound the other. In this case vines covered in icy teeth exploding out of Magdalene and chomping down on the bugbear, holding it still for the vital moment it takes for the wendigo to sink her fangs into the bear's neck and rip its throat out.

The bottom of the throat, of course.

That's where the nerve ganglia is in these things.

Then, rather unceremoniously, the bugbear is eaten. Soon enough all that remains are a few fragments of iridescent carapace.

Battle finished, the wendigo turns toward Fido's hiding place and begins plodding toward him, sniffing at the air now and again. She's heading straight toward him, reaching out with a huge paw nearly as wide at the palm as his torso. This monster is absolutely gigantic and he's about to grab him.

What does Fido do?

14. - Top - End - #74

[A Cold Day]

The paladin eventually gets his sword back.

He starts flying upwards after the others.

He can hear what's going on, but . . .
    Need to get out of here first, then can figure out or try to solve whatever's going on after.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Sylvanas

Fido does the sensible thing. He shuts his eyes and hopes it's quick. Or else that Magdalene has enough self-control to not eat him. If he runs, he's dead, she said as much. And there's going to be worse out in this weird forest. He can't survive here on his own, not yet at least. He needs Magdalene to show him how. And hopefully not eat him.

16. - Top - End - #76

Default [A Cold Day]

"You were both the same person, in different times. I mean, maybe you're catching up memories of the split timeline."
    Except, can you just fit another Sekhmet inside Sekhmet? Will the dead one try to take over?

Anchor continues flying upwards, here pushing off an icy cliff, there knocking a smaller piece of debris aside with her sword, now glancing back to make sure everyone else is okay...
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

The open air suddenly blasts in from above as the ceiling opens up all the way. Sekhmet, barely distinguishable from a single entity now, barely dodges a slab of ice as she escapes into the open and lands roughly on the snow. She drops to the ground, lies down, and clutches her head. "Ooooooh, my head aches." She remembers both things. She remembers finding the relics in Marlick Bay and becoming obsessed with and controlled by them. She remembers being lured into Eurus Hive and being transformed. She knows what happened to her along both times, but she is one, the two fiends with the same Name merging into the one being they're supposed to be.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #78

[A Cold Day]

The paladin Zophiel has to avoid some more falling debris and ceiling and everything else, which ended up delaying him some more. There were some really close calls there.

However!
    He eventually gets up there.

He lands. He looks at the singular(!) Sekhmet, and then at Anchor. "Are...are you all alright?" he asks.

Notably,
    His wings are still staying there, even though presumably they won't need them anymore. They might be stuck. His hands, too. Or maybe it'll wear off some time after they leave.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #79

[Sylvanas]

Fido is grabbed.

The wendigo holds him up to her face and sniffs him a few times with her bright pink glowing nose.

And then?

She holds him up where he'll be able to sit on her shoulders and hold onto her antlers for support. The monster makes some awful bestial noises that sound like they're trying to be words, but they're impossible to make out. This close Magdalene is incredibly cold. But really, it just feels like the chill radiating off her is mostly canceling out the sweltering heat of the summertime forest.

So...

It could be worse?

Magdalene begins climbing higher, sinking her claws into the endless branching and scaling sheer trunks with ease. She's making quite a bit better time now that she doesn't have to worry about Fido stumbling around. Though... judging from the fact that her ears are laying flat she's probably upset at him. Or at least that seems to be the impression he'll get if he knows the least bit about animal body language.

Somehow, impossibly, the forest just keeps getting hotter and wetter the higher they climb. Soon the temperature difference between Magdalene and the surrounding woods are so great that the air begins wavering around her like a mirage.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Sylvanas

When he's grabbed he shrieks a little and opens his eyes- seeing himself held dangerously close to a giant monster's maw, he'd wet himself again if his bladder weren't empty. He gets the idea and grabs hold of her antlers, and licks his lips. He's really quite scared, by everything here.

"I'm sorry about my... my accident. I've never seen such a thing before." And it's not something he was planning on doing, either.

21. - Top - End - #81

[Cold Day]

Aha, the way out!
    Anchor soars up out of the collapsed chasm and lands crouching next to Sekhmet. Her shadow separates and flattens itself out again.
    "You thought you would have different names, but I guess not. I mean, you're back together again."
    "Shall we get out of here?"

She gives Zophiel a nod. Perfectly ok!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Sekhmet looks at Zophiel. For a moment, one of her eyes has two pupils, before it finishes merging. She speaks to him with familiarity. "I'm fine, Zophiel. I, uh," She comes over to hug him. "I'm sorry I messed everything up in Marlick Bay. I should've listened to you and left those relics alone."

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #83

[A Cold Day]

Zophiel is glad that they all got out of that safely.

As it turns out, Zophiel actually kinda likes hugs.
    "You're alright now, so it's fine," he tells Sekhmet. There's still that question of that other Sekhmet...Selekhael, who presumably is still around somewhere. "And we managed to not attract an archfiend, I think, too," he says.

Well, so long as they stay in here then there's still a chance of that happening.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #84

[Sylvanas]

Magdalene growls something back at Fido. The animal noise sounds agitated, but not necessarily threatening. Once Magdalene has intentionally changed down here she can't change back and that's an issue. Especially since she can feel those predatory instincts roiling around inside her. Thinking grows increasingly difficult with time. She has learned through years of experience that things are getting bad once thinking with words becomes impossible. If she stays in beasty form much longer than that then all semblance of reasoning goes out the window.

If she finds herself slipping in that direction she'll just be running around in the forest doing beast things until something manages to kill her. Then she'll respawn and have to start trying to climb out again. But that means she would absolutely eat Fido, too. Which means if she starts losing it she's going to have to just chuck him in the general direction of the portals and start running the other way. Hope for the best.

(Flowering) normie. Why couldn't he have had better bladder control?

Another growl and the wendigo presses on, clawing her way up the surface of a sheer trunk toward the canopy. At least she's making good time. Her face contorts a bit and she tries her best to speak. All that comes out is, "Drrn wrruh rrrr eh." Fido will be able to tell that Magdalene is definitely trying to talk, her mouth, tongue, and vocal cords just aren't the right shape for it. That MIGHT have been 'Don't worry about it.'

Fido will have a pretty good view of the forest from up here. An endless jungle that stretches for as far as the eye can see. Mist drifts through the trees, though some of those clouds in the distance move strangely. If Fido watches them for a while, he may discern that they're actually vast swarms of insects. Now and again a huge flying behemoth of a creature will buzz past, though whenever this happens Magdalene will quickly shimmy to the opposite side of the trunk so the insectile abomination doesn't spot them.

25. - Top - End - #85

Default [A Cold Day]

Anchor looks around to make sure they're all alone on the icy wastelands still. That there's nothing coming up from the hole in the ice or down from the sky, for example.
    "Are you gonna be okay, having been in here? I mean, in one past timeline." It actually feels more confusing now that they've recombined.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

"Uh..." Sekhmet can feel the ice around her. She can't move, can't breathe, can't see. She's so cold, trapped in her nightmarish prison for an eternity. "Let's just get out of here." She staggers towards the portal, shivering.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #87

[A Cold Day]

Y'know...
    The cold didn't bother the paladin that much originally, but after growing those wings, it was hardly bothersome at all.

"Yes, let's," he says. "I don't really like the feel of this place."

Or, more accurately, he doesn't like how comfortable this place feels.
    He suspects that's not really a good sign, but he decides that there's no point in needlessly worrying anybody.

He goes to the portal, too.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-11-24 at 03:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Default [A Cold Day]

Anchor offers Sekhmet an arm to steady her as they make their way to the portal. She seems to be having a bit of a hard time with this place.
    Probably just the cold.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Sylvanas

It's a good thing Fido doesn't realise how dangerous it actually is to be this close to Magdalene for a long period of time, and doesn't notice any increased haste in getting out of here. He nods in response to her attempted words, but can't really make it out for certain. He thinks she said not to worry about it, but he's not sure.

Every time something flies past close and dangerous-looking, he cowers between Magdalene's antlers and desperately hopes they aren't spotted. It seems everything here is predatory, except possibly Fido. This is not a good place. After the third such flyby, he mutters something to himself. Magdalene's big deer-ears might pick it up. "Maybe I shouldn't have run away."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

The party gets out of there! With a gasp of relief, Sekhmet closes the portal. She's still shivering, even though this place is far warmer. The ice is still around her, she feels as if she's still down there. All this is just an illusion. The ice will reveal itself any moment. There is no hope for her. A thin skein of frost begins to etch its way across her skin.

My Nexus characters