New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 9: Srsr and srsr

[A Cold Day]

After they get through the portal, Zophiel is relieved that it all seems to be over.

Then, he notices that Sekhmet is still getting colder.
    He steps to her, and rubs his hands up and down her arms. "Hey. You're still getting colder." He took in a lot of the ambient demonic energy there, so he suspects he knows what's happening.
    "You are alright now. Take a deep breath, think about who you want to see the most right now." As they were merging, he did hear one of them say something about remembering getting married, so he hopes this works.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [A Cold Day]

Oh, Zophiel. We should be so lucky as for things to end simply when they're over.

Anchor takes off her helmet to put on her sunglasses again. Her shadow scampers off across the temple grounds and flops onto a pile of pillows.
    Sekhmet should feel the same acceptance of the divine that she did when she first came to Message's temple. Something past-Sekhmet never really encountered, did she?
    "Hey, Sekhmet, you did it. You saved...yourself."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Sekhmet is breathing heavily, trying to stave off panic. She hears the words, but they're hard to believe. "Prumathe. I want to see Prumathe. I want to touch him, to be sure he's real." All that's real is the ice. This hallucination shall pass, and you shall return to the ice where you belong. Sekhmet is shivering uncontrollably now. She's so sure this all will shatter into nothing and leave her trapped again. But she staggers towards the temple gate. She will see Prumathe, one last time before she freezes. She's determined about that.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #94

[A Cold Day]

"Just hold on to that feeling," the paladin tells Sekhmet. He follows her for a little, but realizes that unless he's literally just outside, she's going too slow. "Do you know where he was before we went into the portal?" he asks. If he's not just here in town...well, Zophiel still has wings. He could fly her there a lot faster than she can stumble around. The paladin - because of her wings - decides that a princess carry is probably the easiest way to carry her if necessary, so he tries to pick her up like that.

He turns his head to Anchor: "Do you know where he is? Or can you find him?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Sylvanas]

Magdalene is still holding out.

She's still holding on. She hasn't even started to feel herself slip yet. That's a good sign, right? Is she getting better at holding off the feral instincts? She can only hope so. She really doesn't want to get stuck down here running around and eating giant bugs. And Fido. She doesn't want to eat Fideo, either.

Her ear twitches when he mutters something.

"Trrth surrd rh rhn arah," the beast growls back at Fido.

Ugh.

This is so (flowering) stupid.

Why does her stupid dumb monster face have to be so impossible to talk with? Hopefully Fido gets the idea, she's trying to be encouraging here.

At last she hauls them both up through the thick leaves of the canopy, leaves and branches so thick that one can walk on them without difficulty. Above them stretches an endless starry sky full of strange, glittering clouds of alien colors. A vast eldritch vista that reaches off into eternity. Below them looms the Sylvanas. And from here at its roof Fido will be able to see that the forest holds the shape of some incomprehensibly vast slumbering beast. In the far distance, drifting through the void, are other such beings too terrible to describe. Without any visual reference it is difficult to guess what size they are, but judging from the forest they to are on a scale difficult to grasp.

As Fido gazes out into the firmament he may notice stars winking out, one at a time, in a dead black patch of the sky. Hungry darkness devouring light.

Not too far away, rimmed in twisted branches, is a swirling portal of pink eldritch energy. Magdalene is heading toward it.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-11-25 at 02:44 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #96

Default [A Cold Day]

Oh wow. Rescuing Sekhmet was not great for Sekhmet, was it?
    "You can see him. Just take it slowly. I mean, you two must have a lot to catch up on now." She suggests, trying to keep her voice smooth and calm.

"He'd be back at GLoG or at his job in Mallside, most likely." Anchor venture.
    "Focus on Prumathe and focus on us. This is real; you're here."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Sylvanas

"I don't know what you just said, sorry. Oh, wow." Fido's eyes are wide as he looks around at the top of the forest, at the trees everywhere and the beasts floating in the void above. He absentmindedly scratches his arm, where a mosquito bit him earlier. He notices the sucking void devouring stars, and shudders. He can't look away, though; it's captured his attention far too effectively. He stares, scratches his arm, and doesn't notice the approaching portal.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

"Please, take me to him. I don't want to freeze here. I don't want to die forever. Please, help me!" Sekhmet's teeth are chattering, her muscles spasming. She stumbles, and chunks of ice begin to grow from her. "No no no no no no no no!"

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #99

[A Cold Day]

Zophiel removes his swords and leave them here; he's pretty sure he could fly faster without them.
    "If he's not at GLoG, I believe I could rule that out faster than if he's not at Mallside," the paladin says, informing Anchor that he's going to check GLoG first and pray that he's there.

He lifts Sekhmet, and hurries out of the building, to pick up speed so that he can take off more easily. "Hold on tight," he tells her. "Both arms."

Once in the air, he turns towards GLoG and flies as fast as he can, even though it may mean straining the muscles. Over the sound of the air, he instructs Sekhmet, "I haven't met Prumathe. Tell me what he's like." Keeping her focused on this instead of freezing and dying will slow it down or even stop it, he hopes.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #100

[Sylvanas]

Gazing off into the void Fide finds himself enraptured by the site.

It's so close.

It feels so close.

The bottomless blackness. The hungering night. Staring into the sky feels like standing at the edge of the precipice and feeling that urge to jump. Like he could just take a step and go tumbling away into it. To loose himself in it. To be lost in its endless, cold embrace. It feels like Nyx is reaching for him. Will Fido reach back?

Whatever he does, Magdalene is not noticing. She's focused on hurrying through the portal because she just realized that words have slipped away from her. All that's left now are emotions, sensations, and appetites. She's going to dive through that portal as quickly as she can and break her antlers off as soon as she's on the other side.

Safe.

Warm.

Good.

Run.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

Sylvanas

Fido stands up, letting go of Magdalene's antlers and reaches up, ignoring the itch as he reaches up to the sucking void that feels as though it's pulling him in. He does take that step, tumbling into the void that sucks and devours, and... maybe he gets devoured, too.

12. - Top - End - #102

[Nyx]

It is dark.

Is Fido standing on something?

It feels like he's standing on something.

It is cold.

But not cold like the snow. Cold link nothing? How could nothing feel like something?

His arm doesn't itch anymore. His eyes are adjusting to... whatever this is. There's something like stone under his feet. It's pitted and porous, full of organic geometries that give Fido a bone-deep sense of wrongness. It's black. Or not black? A subtle sheen of color. Such a deep purple it's almost painful to look at. It ripples and breaths. There are things like stones here, but they breath with strobes of neon light. There is something like grass. Or flames. With laves and licks, shimmering with orange where the purple doesn't snuff it out. Rivers of red like water like blood like a painful memory flows across the surface. Something like a great pane of glass rises from the surface in front of him, tilted at an oblique angle, faintly reflective in the unlight. Part of a building, a cathedral maybe? hangs in the void. The impossible shade of purple is slowly consuming it, but it looks shockingly normal in this surreal landscape.

There is the strange glass monolith in the distance. And the field of waving color. The breathing stones. The unnatural river. The ruined cathedral. Several things that Fido could investigate if he wishes.

He is likely to be struck by the feeling that he is very, very small. And very lost. As terrible as Sylvanas was it made some degree of sense. This place? It is absolutely inhospitable and alien. Even the air, if there exists such a thing, feels foreign to Fido's lungs.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

Nyx

Fido gulps. Oh, dear. Oh, dear. This is exactly what Magdalene was warning him about, right? No, wait. This isn't the forest. This is very odd. Fido looks around, lungs aching as he breathes, eyes aching as he sees what's around him.

He heads towards the ruined cathedral. At least that is somewhat familiar and understandable.

14. - Top - End - #104

[Nyx]

Exactly?

No.

Related?

Yes.

Wandering off into the void is at least as bad as wandering off into the forest.

The cathedral is seems to be floating about eight feet off the ground, twisted at a strange angle. As Fido reaches for it he'll feel a sudden wrenching sensation as the definition of down shifts. Before down was toward the center of the stone? sphere he's been walking on. Now 'down' is toward the ornate wooden doors of the cathedral. The lad will find himself suddenly falling 'upward' into the door, which will bang with the impact. He's now standing on the facade of the building, but it is different. Warped. Slowly folding in on itself to create another drifting sphere in the darkness, that horrible purple light slowly eating its way across it. Hexagonal pillars of stone begin jutting out of a far distant sphere, slowly crunching their way toward the cathedral sphere.

He could open the door, though now it's more of a trap door on the 'floor' than it is a more traditional door. Fido can hear voices inside the cathedral/tiny planet, but they sound eerie and distorted. A tremor ripples through the ground as the spire of the cathedral suddenly lurches upright, replicating discordantly into a fractal bridge of mirrored steeples throbbing with violet light as they grow toward still another planet drifting through the void.

15. - Top - End - #105

Default [A Cold Day]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "Please, take me to him. I don't want to freeze here. I don't want to die forever. Please, help me!" Sekhmet's teeth are chattering, her muscles spasming. She stumbles, and chunks of ice begin to grow from her. "No no no no no no no no!"
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    Zophiel removes his swords and leave them here; he's pretty sure he could fly faster without them.
    "If he's not at GLoG, I believe I could rule that out faster than if he's not at Mallside," the paladin says, informing Anchor that he's going to check GLoG first and pray that he's there.

He lifts Sekhmet, and hurries out of the building, to pick up speed so that he can take off more easily. "Hold on tight," he tells her. "Both arms."

Once in the air, he turns towards GLoG and flies as fast as he can, even though it may mean straining the muscles. Over the sound of the air, he instructs Sekhmet, "I haven't met Prumathe. Tell me what he's like." Keeping her focused on this instead of freezing and dying will slow it down or even stop it, he hopes.
    Anchor simply could not fly to keep up with Zophiel, not after all the flying they did getting Sekhmet out of hell.
    So she tries to call Prumathe on the phone. A simple practical thing that might help.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Sekhmet is carried towards GLoG. Her body becomes increasingly cold and icy as Zophiel flies. The frost on her skin spreads and thickens. She's shivering and her teeth chattering against each other. But she watches ahead, waiting to see the camp approaching.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #107

A Cold Day

"Come on, keep on talking," he tells Sekhmet after it becomes apparent that rather than answering she just continues to shiver. Even if talking about her man doesn't help, it'll be a good sign for her current condition.

He keeps on flying, obviously.
    Can't really do much besides that.

Eventually, they do get there and he asks, "Hey, which one's your cabin?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Sekhmet opens her eyes when Zophiel tells her to talk. "Uh, he's wonderful. We met through work and he saved my life and he doesn't care at all what I look like." Does she seem a little warmer after that? She weakly points out a cabin on the far edge of the camp from the entrance. "There. Uh, Hawthorn."

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Nyx

Fido yelps as he feels gravity shift underfoot, and he falls into the cathedral. He just manages to catch himself with his arms before his face hit the stone, but it's still painful. He stands up and looks around, a little confused. He'll try to open the door, but if it requires pulling it's going to be really tricky, and if it requires pushing he might open it by standing on it and fall further inside. Or not fall, and stay on the door. Really, who knows? "Hello? Is anyone there?"

A Cold Day

Prumathe does pick up his phone. Or possibly the cabin's landline, if that's the number Anchor rang. "Hello, Prumathe speaking. Who am I talking to?"

20. - Top - End - #110

Default [A Cold Day]

It would be Prumathe's own phone.
    "Hi there. It's Anchor, calling on behalf of Sekhmet's church. If you're at your cabin stay there, if not get there right away. It's kind of an emergency."
    "Sekhmet went to rescue herself from a parallel universe who was trapped in hell and now she's cursed with some sort of ice of despair and you'll have to help talk her out of that."
    That hits all the important points as fast as possible, she thinks.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #111

[A Cold Day]

Hawthorn...Hawthorn...Hawthorn...

The paladin carries Sekhmet in that direction, trying to see which of those cabins is Hawthorn.
    To keep her talking, he asks a follow-up question: "He saved your life, huh? Tell me how that happened."

He nears the correct cabin.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #112

[Nyx]

The door opens inward.

Because of course it does.

Fido goes tumbling into the cathedral before suddenly discovering that down has shifted again. Now it's the inner surface of the hollow churchsphere he finds himself within. He tumbles back through space and lands on the stone floor. Thankfully not very far. Looking around inside the building is incredibly disorienting. Everything has been warped in on itself. If he just keeps his eyes glued to the horizon it isn't so bad. There's just a subtle curve to the floor and pews and candle sticks and stained glass windows. But if he looks up he'll find more floor and pews and candlesticks above him. Along with a deeply disquieting lurching feeling. Here and there that horrid purple light is eating holes through the walls and floor, replacing objects with shattered reflections of themselves. Like someone suspended one of the statues sitting in an alcove inside a mirror and then broke it into a thousand pieces reflecting endlessly.

Weeping rises from the far wall of the church where a huge pipe organ stood behind the alter.

It has been warped into a surreal, disquieting effigy of itself.

There's no reply to Fido's question.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

"We, uh, had fought my mother. I, uh, overexerted my magic and I was, uh, dying. He used his biomancy to, uh, heal me enough for, uh, surgery." Sekhmet shivers, but she seems a little happier thinking and talking about Prumathe. The ice isn't spreading as quickly.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Nyx

Fido yelps as he falls through the door and hits the floor, before standing up and looking around- even up. Wow, that's... really headachey.

He looks around, for something large and club-like he can pick up to make himself feel better. A decent-sized candlestick would be perfect, but just about anything will do, so long as it can be held one-handed. Regardless of if anything is immediately apparent, he'll head over to the altar. He wants to know to whom- or what- this cathedral is dedicated. He hopes they'll help him.

Cold Day

"I am at the cabin. I'll go get the door." Prumathe hangs up and runs to the door, opening it and looking around. If he sees Zophiel, he'll wave the paladin over and prepare the sofa for Sekhmet to be put on. Bed would probably be better, but the sofa's nearest the door.

25. - Top - End - #115

[A Cold Day]

The phone call probably takes a lot shorter time than it does to fly over here, so Zophiel and Sekhmet probably aren't there quite yet when Prumathe looks out the door.

However, they do get there eventually. Pretty quickly, actually, considering the distance. And, as he's probably worried, it seems likely that Prumathe will be waiting and will quickly notice when a 4-winged paladin approaches carrying a Sekhmet popsicle.
    "He sounds pretty great. It's really fortunate you have him," he tells her. Especially fortunate because just talking about him seems to be enough to help her.

He spots the waving Prumathe.
    "Is that him? He's already here, waiting for you." The paladin follows him through the door, and deposits Sekhmet on the sofa.
    If he knew they were coming, he must've already been told, right? Just as a reminder, then, he tells Prumathe: "You need to convince her that you're real and that she's safe."
    He looks around...they might want some privacy, right?
    "I'll be waiting just outside, in case anything happens. Shout if you need anything."

Unfortunately, though, he left his swords behind with Anchor so...he won't be able to cut.

After a few moments to make sure everything's fine, he steps outside to wait and heal his wings of overexertion. (He did only recently get them, after all)
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-11-28 at 05:23 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

A Cold Day

Sekhmet looks at Prumathe and smiles weakly. "Prumathe." She reaches out towards him with a hand dusted with frost. Once she's situated on the couch, she speaks to him. "I'm so glad I could see you before I go."

She's wearing the bronze armor that Prumathe last saw in Sapphira's palace, where it had been prepared for her. How did she get it? What convinced her to wear something that shows so much of her legs?

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #117

[Nyx]

Fido manages to find a decent sized polished bronze candle holder that could really be used to whollop something in a pinch. It hasn't been distorted and shattered yet so that's probably a good thing, right?

Moving toward the altar, he'll find it is a rather astounding work of artistry. The marble altar itself is quite plain, a cloth draped across it and bearing several candles. But what really catches the eye is what's behind it. A monument of stone and wood depicting winged humans overlaid in gold along with visually pleasing vine and leaf motifs. In the center of the monument is a painting of a winged, armored human striking down a devilish looking figure.

Maybe the temple is venerating the warrior figure featured in the painting?

It's hard to say.

That horrid purple light hasn't started devouring this part of the cathedral yet, so it's safe to examine.

Probably.

Near the altar, hiding behind it, Fido will be able to see a person huddled, still softly weeping. They look like a child, a boy, probably no older than ten.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Nyx

Fido feels better with a blunt implement in his fist. Sure, it wouldn't have helped against the bugbear, but this doesn't look like a bugbear place. So hopefully any monsters will be small enough to be dealt with by a bronze club to the head.

The place is beautiful, but Fido doesn't really care about that. His master was very rich, and gorgeous murals and exquisite statuary were commonplace. He looks at the altar, and nods his head to it, but... Whatever god or hero was venerated here, he thinks it's out of their reach now. He'll look behind the altar and see the boy, and kneel. "Hey there. I'm Fido, what's your name?" He smiles, trying to be reassuring, but... he's not got a lot of experience with people that don't involve being given orders.

Cold Day

"Sekhmet? Gods, Sekhmet, what happened?" He's curious about her attire, but far more worried, so it doesn't enter his thoughts yet. He turns to Zophiel. "Go to the bedroom through there, bring all the blankets and duvet off the bed. Anything that looks like it's warm, too." He puts his hands on Sekhmet's cheeks, and channels his biomancy to increase his body temperature. It's quite a dangerous thing to do, since it's boosting his metabolism, but if it keeps Sekhmet warm, it's worth it. "You are not dying, you hear me? We just got married, don't die now!" He's panicking, too, at least a little.

29. - Top - End - #119

A Cold Day

Since Zophiel hadn't quite left yet when told what to do, he nods 'okay' and goes back to that room, to grab as many warm things he can see.

He brings them back shortly afterwards.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #120

[Nyx]

"I'm Peter," the boy says, scooting away from Fido a little bit as he kneels next to him. "Are you real?"

Well.

That's certainly an interesting question, isn't it?

Are you real, Fido?

How can you tell?

There's a rumble outside but not of thunder. It feels more like an earthquake, though nothing really shakes. Like a crack forming in ice. Like nails on a chalkboard. Like fractures in reality. Fissures race through the cathedral, etching lines of that hideous purple light that stings the eyes if one looks at it for too long. Before the cathedral was mostly intact, but now it is growing increasingly alien and inhospitable. The light creeps away from the cracks, spreading like a embers crawling across a piece of parchment. Those disquieting organic shapes, like coral, begin bulging out of the patches of color, neon green throbbing in every pit and crevice.

Peter whimpers.

"I don't like it here."