New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Crag Noir (IC)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Crag Noir (IC)

The subterranean horrors of the Underdark among the worst the universe has to offer, but when you come across one of the cities of the drow down there, you are almost better off not to take "refuge" there, for the drow are nasty to even their own kind, let alone a stranger. The largest of these cities, at least on Daystor, is Crag Noir.
    Crag Noir takes its name from a gigantic crag it sits right next to and of course from the perpetual darkness that is the reality of the Underdark. No one has explored the depths of the Crag, at least, no one who has come back to tell of its contents. Perhaps it is better that way. There are even rumors that there is a gate that leads directly to the Abyss inside of it, into the layer controlled by the patron goddess of the drow, Lolth.
    Lolth holds sway in Crag Noir, there arent many other drow deities to begin with and none of them have an official foothold in Crag Noir. That doesnt mean that there is any less in-fighting among the noble houses, in fact it might even cause more, as they vie for absolute control of this largest of the drow enclaves. Its probably better for the upper world that none of them have ever seized this sort of ultimate power (although even if they did, Lolth would probably just disrupt it because of her chaotic nature) because they would cause a great deal of misery. But even though Lolth does not face problems with her drow deity kin, she has another issue.
    The demon goddess Nocticula, Queen of the Succubi, has lately become rather interested in the drow and Crag Noir. To Nocticula, the drow are the perfect hunting ground for expanding her influence. The drow are already a matriarchal society that worships a demoness, so that part of their mindset does not need changing, its just a matter of which demoness they choose. And with the resources at Nocticula's command, bolstered by the wider range of her upper world cult, she has become a thorn in Lolth's side.
    And its not outright temptation that Nocticula relies on, even if that is a big part of her game. The battles among the noble houses are always bloody and always end in the destruction of one of the two (or more) houses involved in it. Most, if not all, of the members of the losing house are either killed (the fate of mostly men) or absorbed into the victorious house (what usually happens to the women who hold divine or arcane power), but once in a while, one slips through the cracks. Short on prospects and no doubt disillusioned by the fact that their supposed goddess abandoned them, they are prime recruiting material for Nocticula and her followers.
    Natalya Kil'Ratha was one of those drow. A rising member of the house of Kil'Ratha, Natalya was probably headed for a life in the second tier of drow nobility, with a better than average chance of moving into the upper tier via promotion or marriage when fate intervened. Kil'Ratha was attacked by House Shal'Dahn, Natalya has no idea of why but given that Shal'Dahn was a vassal to House Dereth'Karn, it was probably ordered by that upper house, somehow linked to a move against the overlord house of Kil'Ratha, Kerith'Kahn. As the victorious forces of Shal'Dahn rampaged through the House of Kil'Ratha, Natalya hid, not trusting that her talents would be judged useful to the Shal'Dahns or the Dereth'Karns and sought a way out of her burning home. She ended up getting caught in a dead end corridor by a Shal'Dahn male, facing a probable rape and murder (drow society having particularly gruesome tortures for males who rape noble drow women, even those of dying houses) when a woman appeared behind her, blasting the offending male with a lightning bolt. She extended her hand to Natalya Come with me, if you want to live and with the fire and other Shal'Dahn forces closing in, Natalya took the lifeline. She was teleported from the home, and with the house lying in complete ruins, it was just assumed that her body was consumed by the flames.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2020-11-07 at 08:57 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Crag Noir (IC)

When the world came back into focus for Natalya, she found herself in a room with two other women, the one who rescued her, and another, so beautiful as to be breathtaking. She was dressed in the robes of a priestess (their style being particular among the drow and exclusive to those possessing divine arts) but instead of the symbol of Lolth, she wore the symbol of a flaming pentagram, a symbol unknown to Natalya. She smiled at Natalya (an action that made her weak in the knees), and told her...Your house was destroyed in one of the foolish and perpetual battles of our kin. No matter what power we manage to build, theres always someone willing to tear it down, and if they dont do it on their will, Lolth forces them into it. Or guides the first house to attack them. It never ends. Instead of consolidating power, it scatters it. I offer you a better way...not to mention a way to stay alive.
    (see PM)
    We are the women of Nocticula. You may or may not know that Nocticula is the Queen of the Succubi (Natalya didnt have a priestess's education about Abyssal politics, but she had vaguely heard the name) and we offer a chance to others we deem worthy. A chance to escape the never ending cycle of climbing up and getting knocked back down for the amusement of an uncaring goddess. What you make of your life with us, is what you will keep. We promise never to backstab our own. Join with us, and you have the chance to build whatever power satisfies you. How high you do is completely up to you, you will never be challenged to do better or die, nor will you have to worry about some upstart trying to carve out their name by taking you out. The powers...and the pleasures she turns back to face Natalya straight on are yours to either chose or decline. If you wish, you can discuss with Evindress here, and i will be back in an hour for your decision. If you choose not to stay, we will not harm you, but you will have to leave. By the way, my name is Kalrissa
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

One of the inevitabilites of Crag Noir life happened. And it happened earlier than Natalya would have liked. So much in her training is yet to be done, raw talent meaning little if it is not fully realized. Worse, they are ambushed by those fighting with overwhelming power, the surprise and the sheer force undoing what advantages house Kil'Ratha had. And with the lapdogs of house Dereth'Karn attacking them, there is no hope for survival, for any of them. When ending in the dead end, by that point, it is all but certain that her family is dead. Her mother, the matriarch ever seeking for a way out of the invisible cage of their liege house and the one who had put high hopes in Natalya, gone. Her father, unusually loyal and capable for a male, gone. So much wasted life and potential in the deaths of her talented sisters and brothers. With the only small mercy being found in the death of her younger brother and her next-older sister, both always having lacked the willpower to survive and excel in this world, slaves to temptations as escapes from their lives (and some of those temptations taking form of their own sister, and whether or not those desires were their own or games of their liege ladies and lords, the fates of both of them were sealed once Natalya discovered this). The both of them were spared a life of misery and having no control over their own lives and minds.

With the Shal'Dahn scion approaching, Natalya judges her chances in a straight fight slim. The Kil'Ratha way is one of striking unseen and surgically, not extended brawls or withstanding withering alpha strikes. No doubt the male came prepared against enchantments, and her illusions are perhaps her only real chance, if still a risky gamble. Lustful or not, a battle mage male can still decide to simply destroy the entirety of the dead end she is standing in and save himself the trouble. Regardless, Natalya shows and feels no fear. She knows what fate awaits her if she fails. If she fails, then that is simply how it will be. There is no need to give her opponent the satisfaction of seeing her afraid.

And just like that, she experiences an instance of what the fool surface humans would call a guardian angel. Of course, there is no such thing, not for her. All comes at a price in Lolth's domain. Still, the woman is right. There is no other way if she desires to live. And she does. So she takes her hand and takes the plunge into the unknown.

When her head clears, she sees her rescuer, and one of the most beautiful drow women she has ever seen. Natalya is doing her best to maintain her composure, whether or not her heart betrays her by beating faster and feeling warmth gather in unhelpful places, though her composure may not help much. These are powerful women. And while she would describe herself as capable, Natalya has no illusions about the gulf in ability between her and the elite of drow society, or women such as these.

What she hears, though... in a way is too good to be true. There have been private thoughts, heretical thoughts, against Lolth's rule. About all the senseless war and death, serving no purpose but the fulfillment of their goddess' twisted desires. The goddess is sick. Broken. Her ambitions drowned in her need to control and torture her people. Nocticula... she offers pleasures, claiming power by your own might, but above all... unity. Perhaps not total, but still of a kind that feels nigh utopian to a drow of Crag Noir. And Natalya still has enough capacity, perhaps foolishly, to believe in such a future.

The young drow examines the two women, considers what she has been told, and cannot help her eyes wandering on occasion. Her life was to be over, ended in pain and misery. It did not end. But without a house or station, getting back on her feet will be difficult at best. She may as well gamble with this life she should not be having. And see what comes of it.

"My name is Natalya Kil'Ratha, and it appears I am in your debt." And to be in another drow's debt is normally a dire circumstance indeed, whether or not one betrays that debt later on. Her voice is pleasing to say the least, having made several let those lingering thoughts and fears drift away, but it comes from a place of strength, and one claiming another's attention, rather than demanding or begging for it. With Priestess Kalrissa leaving them, Natalya turns to Evindress.

"If you are truly offering me a path of unity under your demon goddess, an end to our race at its own throat, and a way to build my power however high I wish to go... then I wish to test your claim by aiming as high I can in Crag Noir. Tell me of your goddess Nocticula, Evindress. It is one thing to agree to serving a goddess and being lured by a bewitching priestess. I wish to hear from one of her believers how your goddess fills your heart. Lolth has done little to fill mine, other than with pity for her." Natalya's words demand, but the way she says them makes it easy to give in to them. After all, she is hardly asking for much. And has revealed being fertile ground to have a more caring, appreciating mistress take root in it. Perhaps they had observed her before. If so, Evindress notices Natalya's voice and gaze are softer when adressing her and Kalrissa. This young drow is not beyond showing appreciation for the women that saved her.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Everything I have, I owe to Nocticula and this group. I was not one such as you, I was not noble born, I wasnt a slave but wasnt much higher. My parents owned a small store in the east quarter. I was the second sister. I could always do things with my force of will, little things, but even when I managed to sneak a peek at a wizards spell book, it was all meaningless babble to me. I found that the more I worked at things, the more I could do. Ideas would come to me and I would practice. There wasnt much time to practice, working the store and such but I found the time. But I knew it would end, I would either be married off to some lug in order to advance my parents store, or would catch the eye of some noble looking for a pleasure slave. Neither of them appealing.
    Kalrissa came into the store one day, looking to buy some things. I was totally entranced by her and followed her all over the store, getting what she wanted. She came in a few more times, and each time I would follow her almost like a lap dog. She cared for me, she listened to me, and she told me never to give up or give in to what my parents wanted if I didnt want it too. One day, she came in just as the store was about to close, both my parents were gone as was my sister, leaving me to lock up. We talked for the longest time and then we took a walk together. I dont even remember if I kissed her first or she kissed me, but one thing lead to another. It was the most perfect night of my life. After we were lying together, she told me about Nocticula. How I could be safe with her. How I could advance with her. How my life choices would be my own. I jumped at the chance. They told me my magic was that of a sorceress and while study does nothing for that, practicing with another sorceress helped. They unlocked my full potential within weeks, more than years of practice could ever do. They taught me many other things too. Every day that I pray to Nocticula, I feel her in my heart. Not words, I am not a priestess that would hear the voice in her head, but I know she listens. And each time I master a new spell, I can feel her approval. I know that one day, we will end Lolth's dominance in Crag Noir...and then we can carry her words to the other cities, unite with our sisters there and turn the drow into a force to be feared, not by each other but by the other races of the world.
    And her demon sisters are with us, always. Not the disgusting vrocks or herzou, with their slobbering, mindless bloodlusts her succubi are with us. I learned more from one succubus sorceress in one week than I had in two months once. Nocticula was with us the whole time. Not in the flesh, we both lacked the power or the permission to summon her, but we both knew she was watching.

She winks at you for a moment. And I doubt you have experienced such pleasure as your sisters will be able to give. Not a mindless rutting where only his pleasure is being served, but a joyous experience together, with a loving goddess approving it all.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Despite her being the one brought to this unknown place rather than the other way around, Natalya gestures for Evindress to sit with her, making the other woman more comfortable as she recounts her story. An attentive listener with effortless poise even as she sits, Evindress finds it feels good to talk to this new recruit. As she speaks of events she clearly cherishes, a pleasant, gentle smile and the occasional nod only further encourage the Nocticulan to continue. Evindress' last remark is met with a small, if good-natured, smirk.

"No, I cannot say I have. Among nobility, pleasure is about power, and for my house especially, it was a weapon. Nearly every such encounter is colored by the endless struggle for position, and the difference in station, be it due to what house you belong to, how important you are in your house, and what gender you are. If we did not take care of it ourselves first, our first experience would be one willed by Lolth as a primal, mindless rut when we come of age. The only warmth we could expect is what little was given by each other when we trained. A very few of us lost themselves to this little bit of warmth, and it doomed them to having lost the struggle before it even truly began. We pleased our liege ladies and lords whenever they felt in the mood for it, the more aware of us feeling the invisible leash while doing so. When we did our masters' bidding on missions, those who experienced our pleasure were unknowing victims. Yes, even as a minor noble house, we had luxuries beyond what most commoners could hope for. But there are sides to that life I am glad you never had to experience. The noble houses are higher in Lolth's favor, and they are rewarded with more viciousness."

The time it takes to speak allows Natalya plenty of time to consider. There are often layers to a deception and to a seduction. From a normal drow perspective, Natalya is playing a dangerous game, going against Lolth, but also beginning to turn herself towards another demon goddess. She is promised a much better life, but could also just be enslaved in a most pleasant way. It is difficult to tell. However, she has only this one chance. Evindress speaks true. And simple logic demands that not every force of evil chaos can be as isolationist and self-destructive as Lolth. The Blood War exists. Even with what is said to be endless hordes of the Abyss under the leadership of many different lords, it has raged for eons against what is said to be a much more organized opponent. Lolth would never achieve even such a stalemate, even if she had near infinite numbers. Too obsessed is she with tormenting her own. And there has been scattered tell of Nocticula cooperating with other deities.

Natalya reaches out, gentle touching Evindress' cheek, her thumb caressing her, sometimes wandering a little, tracing her lips. "You speak of ending Lolth's reign, of making the drow a force to be reckoned with. We share the same dream, one shared by Nocticula as well, it appears. But I wish to go further. A mercy, if you will, even if the recipient is not deserving of such. My male siblings, and those of either gender whose wills were too weak for life as a noble, I still gave them comfort. The love of a family and it was not their fault they were born inferior. I feel the same about Lolth, in a way. Somewhere along the way, she cracked, making her unfit for ruling our people. But she still created us. I wish to see her removed from her rule. And I believe she would thrive under Nocticula, shown new pleasures... as the concubine of your goddess. Or, if she will have me, our goddess." This is a life she should not have, if it had not been for Nocticula's intervention. It is better to take this chance and aim as high as she can get away with. And she would be lying if she said she did not also want everything else she has been offered thus far.

Evindress can tell Natalya is opening to letting Nocticula into her heart. And that they could achieve their dream together, side by side every step of the way... and perhaps so much more.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Sensing that Natalya is about ready to commit herself to Nocticula, Evindress puts both of her hands on Natalya's shoulders I would be honored to be the one to lead you formally to Nocticula...if that is your wish
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It is unclear how many interactions with nobility Evindress has had. In normal drow society, nobility squirms under Lolth's heel, and they carry it on, stepping onto the commoners. Now, Evindress faces Natalya and feels none of that derision, of being looked down on. Perhaps Natalya has always been different due to her lot in life an unusually clear sight. Perhaps all it took was to be freed from Lolth's shackles. Hers is a noble bearing, in the truest sense of the word, drawing Evindress in. The status enforced by an uncaring goddess falls away, just two women sharing the same dream, about to be united by faith in Nocticula. Evindress is special to Natalya. She can feel it.

"You saved me from the death of my house and a crueler fate still, giving me a new life and a new hope," Natalya says, and with one smooth motion, the noble drow comes much closer, face to face, Evindress' arms now around her shoulders, just as Natalya embraces her savior. The woman she wants to accomplish this new dream with.

"It is my wish. The honor would be mine," she whispers, sending pleasing shivers through Evindress' body, and draws her into a kiss. Most perhaps would simply passively receive this initiation. Natalya wishes to celebrate it with the woman who will open her heart to her new goddess.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The next few days are a bit of a whirlwind for Natalya as she joins the coven. Naturally, she is introduced to all the members, its not a large coven, but theres probably no way she will remember all the names. But at least she has been introduced.
    While Natalya kept all of her magic items and her money, her current clothes are in tatters, and her wardrobe is buried under a burning pile of timber. Kalrissa arranges for a full wardrobe for her, including a replacement of her special cloak, the only difference being that it does not bear a symbol of Lolth. This is not noteworthy, many non-priestess drow do not have such a symbol on their clothes (they arent cheap after all) and almost no non-noble has one. She waves away any protests of Natalya to pay, telling her that the coven looks after their own and has each other's backs, given that they are a small group in a very, very hostile place.
    She also finds a special gem for Natalya, hung from a golden chain. As Natalya looks at it, it seems to catch the light in certain ways, making for a very eye-catching flash and sparkle....telling her that she knows of Natalya's talent with hypnosis and that this gem will be of some help to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    circumstance bonus of +2 to Save DC.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Natalya looks forward to meeting the rest of the coven. This is a long endeavor and there will be time to get to know the members better. In a friendly environment and notably more relaxed, Natalya carries herself with effortless dignity and unmistakable presence, but after the initial exposure to her, the other coven members find her comfortable to be around. She plans to commit every member of the coven to memory in time, and learn more about them. Learning has been a strength of hers.

Receiving a full wardrobe, even to her specifications (at least in some instances), she thanks Kalrissa for her generosity. If she is not allowed to pay for this, she will instead reward this with her work for the coven.

The gem does pique Natalya's interest. She examines it more closely, seeing the masterful cuts and the simple yet elegant craftsmanship of its setting and chain. Even more remarkable is that while its vivid color does wonders to draw the eye and mesmerize another, even in the black-white of darkvision, it still plays with the miniscule light in unexpected ways. This also tells her that she has been watched for quite some time now, not just being an opportune recruit (though the attack on House Kil'Ratha may have changed some plans in one way or another). For many, this would be a simple accessory. For Natalya, this is a remarkable gift indeed. The young drow woman puts the necklace on, becoming part of her look as if it was always meant to be there, the gem just so happening to perfectly nestle in her deep cleavage.

"This is the most thoughtful gift anyone has given me to this day. Thank you, Kalrissa. I will put it to good use for the coven." A bewitching smile plays across her lips, her posture just so changing that Kalrissa finds her eye drawn to the gem (and what surrounds it). "And recreationally." Though it is all ultimately for the benefit of the coven and the coven looking out for itself, Kalrissa nonetheless earns herself a kiss for the lovely gift (and the promise for a little more later). Little things like being able to be gifted something with no hidden traps, and being able to be genuinely grateful for such a gift from someone who cares about her are small pleasures Natalya embraces, all part of her new Nocticulan life.

As she is given this tour, she starts to consider the tasks ahead. "With my house destroyed and me officially having perished in the flames, would you like me to construct a new identity to move among Lolth's society, or would you prefer a new cover for every assignment, discarded after each one?" Since they have been operating in secrecy for a while now, it seems prudent to ask how they go about said secrecy. That and Kalrissa may already have plans for her in particular.

And of course, while getting to know the coven and learning more about Nocticula is wonderful, she does ask "Do you have tasks I can aid the coven in?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Evindress is the one who shows Natalya around and is generally there for her. Being the one that "rescued" her, she takes an interest in her, and its clear there is a growing attraction for the newest recruit. Natalya learns that she is a sorceress and while its not unknown for the followers to have a talent for sorcery (even though witchcraft and divine powers are certainly 1 and 1A), Evindress is very unusual in that her sorcery is not geared towards enchantment but more towards evocation...or as she likes to call it, blasting. She also has bardic powers, but more towards the performing arts rather than arcane talents. She is a remarkably good singer and dancer and enjoys her performances.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Evindress being there for her does not go unnoticed or unappreciated by Natalya... and her savior's growing attraction does not, either. Evindress finds it so easy to talk to Natalya, the noblewoman ever attentive and encouraging her to simply speak her mind. While knowing blast magic is not the most desired form of magic for the Nocticulans from what Natalya can tell, Evindress seems to cherish her talents greatly. The same goes for her bardic talents, appreciating her artistry and drinking in her marvelous performances, even asking her for the occasional private one. Perhaps she already knows, perhaps she only knows in vague terms, but Evindress learns that Natalya is a sorceress as well, though perhaps not yet as developed as her. Her choices are more eclectic, but blast magic is part of her repertoire and on her agenda going forward, if trending more towards precision than room-clearing. However, her sorcerous talents have an additional layer, one of surprising depth to uncover secrets, infiltrate, misdirect, divide, and seduce. She does not have the raw offensive power of Evindress in combat, but to call her defenseless would be a gross mistake. Fighting against Natalya will almost never result in a fair fight.

Since Evindress turned out to be a fantastic dancer, Natalya, one evening, asks her if she ever has had a good dance partner, whether for a performance or more intimately. Thus, the noblewoman invites her to a private dance, guiding Evindress to her room. Having received a new wardrobe, Evindress gets to sit comfortably, watching that full figured silhouette on a thin dividing wall as Natalya takes her time to get dressed, emerging in her best. With a smile, Natalya lets Evindress feast her eyes for a while, taking in the revealing yet concealing dress and the curves it graces, her eyes drawn to Natalya's every so often, but even moreso to where her gem necklace is nestled snugly. Stepping closer, Natalya offers her savior a hand, asking for a dance. For once, Evindress does not have to take the lead, so comfortable in her companion's arms, moving so effortlessly to her rhythm, her body close to her own, taking in her fragrance, hearing the softest singing as they dance. Every swaying step as one, like a gentle wave sweeping them up and guiding their motions, back and forth, back and forth.

"You may be seen as unusual, but to me, you are irreplacable. Sure, most of your magic will not twist thoughts or seduce those weak of mind, but you are there for your Nocticulan sisters in their time of need, when subtlety falls away and decisive action is needed. You eliminate those who threaten us, you protect us, you save us. As you did for me. I want you to never forget the peace of mind you are giving those around you, and how much you are loved for it," Natalya whispers to her partner, looking deep into her eyes, every syllable caressing her mind, making he feel so warm inside and sending pleasant sensations across her skin. Everything comes so easily, everything in this rhythm, Evindress simply able to let all thoughts and worries go. Like she has made Natalya feel safe and loved the night she saved her, so does the noblewoman now do for her. Ever continuing the slow, intimate dance, Natalya draws her partner into a gentle, deep kiss, after which the soft singing continues.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This is the first part of this scene, and this is both having a wonderful evening with the woman who saved her, but also Natalya wanting to see how receptive Evindress is to her hypnosis (with no bad intentions behind it, rather for Evindress' enjoyment). I will continue the scene once I know how Evindress reacts, and if she is starting to show signs of succumbing to the hypnosis (as this is only the preliminary stages, with the actual hypnosis to come).

Perform check (dancing, singing, oratory, and hypnosis working together here, getting +2 on the check from Versatile Peformer) (1d20+19)[29]
    Last edited by Ridai; 2020-11-12 at 07:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Its clear that Evindress is very receptive to whatever Natalya has planned. The compliments she pays her have had a strong effect on her, it had become clear to Natalya that the other women of the coven do not understand her magic, although they have an appreciation for it. The appreciation was deepened when on a recent raid, the mission had gone partially sideways and the entire squad was facing down a room full of drow warriors, backed by bugbears...until Evindress used a scroll that she had pilfered from a wizard's desk on the mission and blasted the room with a maximized fireball, obliterating all of their opponents. That she was able to cast a spell beyond her level was impressive enough and the fact that it saved the mission made it that much more of a thing. So she is respected, but they dont entirely understand it.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

After a long night (and morning) with Evindress, the drow sorceress tells Natalya that its time for the weekly briefing. Evindress explains that many drow surface missions fail because the drow are unprepared for the surface, either its environment or its culture, their lack of basic knowledge of the power players giving them away as being non-surface dwellers and thereby evil.
    They go to the temple hall, where Kalrissa is preparing to give her report to the assembled. Even though she has met everyone, Natalya is formally introduced as the newest member of the coven and then Kalrissa goes through some of the reports of doings on the surface world, for now, those are not really important to Natalya.
    She then goes on to talk about what her spies have reported from the city itself. She comes to the part about House Kil'Ratha being destroyed by House Shal'Dahn, this has now created a void for a new vassal house for Kerith'Kahn. She outlines that two lesser houses, Ral'Tepin and Kal'Durtha are vying to become the new vassal for Kerith'Kahn, and that Ral'Tepin had made inquiries among underworld figures about getting some sort of aid in their contest. Kalrissa has been in contact with them (without revealing their allegiance, of course) and they are interested in hiring one or two operatives for a mission. She is looking for volunteers
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Natalya is pleased to hear that gathering intelligence is of such importance to the Nocticulans. Another mark in favor of her new sisters. Getting confirmation that dwellers of the underdark are equated to being evil (and most likely following Lolth, in case of the drow) is also valuable. A few drow live on the surface, following the pantheon of Daystor or their own interests, and given the alternative, Natalya can hardly blame them. It is difficult to feel a fondness for the home of one's people when those people are deadset on stepping on each other for their own gain and to please a cruel goddess. She has also heard a few of their kind not being cut out for the worship of Lolth or Nocticula, drawn to dance beneath to moon under the protection of Lolth's estranged daughter, Eilistraee. While what little she heard about their meager ambitions is disappointing to a degree, perhaps this is for the best. They are still of her kind, and better to have a place for drow like them, away from the destructive as well as the ambitious, then to have them wither and die.

At the meeting, going with the formal introduction, Natalya gives an elegant bow with a little graceful flourish, and if given opportunity to adress them, once again expresses her gratitude to her sisters and looking forward to getting to know and work together with them, to achieve what others see as impossible.

Though the information is not mission-relevant to Natalya yet, she does listen attentively when reports of the surface are relayed. Information is powerful indeed, and it can be the difference between survival and death. No questions are asked, however, as this part of the briefing is for the benefit of those currently operating on the surface, or being in contact with it.

And finally, the matter of the new vassal house of the Kerith'Kahn. Like clockwork, the jockeying for position has already begun after the demise of her house. And being on the outside of this process for once, it is rife with opportunity to inject seeds of future conversion and the disruption of the status quo. When volunteers are asked for, Natalya steps forward, without hesitation, yet tempered with calm.

"I volunteer. I have been trained as an operative for clandestine missions from the day I was born, and wish to do my part. As a former vassal of House Kerith'Kahn, I can also assist in manipulating our liaison at House Ral'Tepin towards our cause, hiding my true identity beneath a cover and an arcane disguise, either of your choosing or of my own creation, as you desire. I would gladly go on this mission by myself if you will it, but as I have not yet proven myself to the coven, I would be humbled to assist one of my more experienced Nocticulan sisters." As Natalya makes her case with calm confidence, the other members of the coven feel she holds them in high esteem and does not simply assume their favor or trust in her abilities specifically. She wishes to be an active part of this coven, and an important first step is to prove that she can be relied upon and that trust in her is well-placed.

Naturally, when saying she would gladly assist another, she does have an idea who might volunteer alongside her, and who would complement her abilities perfectly with her artistry in the use of magic items and blasting magic, especially if the mission should need to go loud.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

True to Natalya's suspicions, its only seconds later that she hears a familiar voice right beside her I volunteer as well as Evindress steps up with her. Kalrissa has a smile on her face Given how close you are to the situation, I had you in mind. Take care that you do not engage any members of House Kerith'Kahn in your mission, disguises can only go so far and it would not go well for you to be seen as a survivor. I will set up the meeting for you, but no matter what, anything you find in House Kal'Durtha gets vetted by me before you hand it over to Ral'Turpin and any Durtans you kill, well, thats the price.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Natalya glances to the side, Evindress spotting a private little smile just for her, making her all warm and fuzzy inside, before the (well, former technically, but still actual in bearing and what the word should embody) noblewoman focuses back on the task at hand, answering Kalrissa's smile and assessment with a smile of her own, as well as a nod.

"I understand. I will avoid any contact with House Kerith'Kahn I possibly can, they may be our biggest threat, outside of House D'Espana." Natalya understands this perhaps better than most, a shadow playing across her face for a moment before returning to her usual dignified demeanor. "Do not let me hold this meeting up any further, we can discuss specifics afterwards, if it pleases you, Priestess," using the word priestess as a term of honor. With that, she gives a light bow, and returns to the crowd, standing right beside Evindress, to let Kalrissa continue the meeting or finish it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The rest of the meeting continues without any other comment or items of note, and when it breaks up, Kalrissa takes Natalya and Evindress to her private office. They wait and about 10 minutes later, one of the coven brings another drow woman into the room. Matron Mother of House Ral'Turpin to see you, priestess
    Looking at the other woman, Natalya thinks she is rather unremarkable, certainly nowhere near the presence of the other Matron Mothers she has met, although Ral'Turpin was a rank below her own house before its demise. But now, she sees herself as a social climber and looks at both of you with a haughty glance If this is the best you have to offer, I suppose it will have to do. Dont just stand there gawking, introduce yourself, girls Girls being a term only used for servants in the noble houses, a member of the family would be termed sister or daughter.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Having received no prior warning and no information about what exactly they are meant to represent outside of being part of the underworld somehow, Natalya quickly silent-casts disguise self before the Matron Mother can enter the room. Altering her appearance only slightly, mainly her face, so the Matron Mother cannot blab about a drow whose description might tip off the Kerith'Kahn, especially if this sad excuse of a matron wishes to become the vassal of the most manipulative major house of Crag Noir. Since she does not know much of anything about Kalrissa's plans yet, Natalya can only assume that she wishes to install an inferior house as the new vassal to weaken the Kerith'Kahn (compared to having the agents of the Kil'Ratha at their disposal), or that Kalrissa and her fellow Nocticulans will use their new influence to shape the house into better (most likely unknowing) pawns that are not easily devoured by rivals... or their liege house.

The slight seemingly washes over Natalya, showing a devout flourished deep bow, the execution speaking of grace and skill, and the presentation stroking the matron's ego. "The Queen of Spiders' glory upon you, exalted Matron Mother. My name is Milena. How may I be of service?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

As Evindress makes her introductions, Natalya sees Kalrissa out of the corner of her eye, and she gives an approving nod. In that moment, Natalya realizes that she just gave her a little test, to see if she could think fast and on the fly, and she passed. In the same moment, she knows that Kalrissa wants her to succeed but she cannot hold her hand in the cutthroat world of the drow, and needed to know she wasnt just some pampered noble house woman.

The Mother continues. There is a void in the vassal houses of Kerith'Kahn and we intend to fill it. Of course, our house is vastly superior to that of House Kal'Durtha Natalya sees Kalrissa roll her eyes But we are always looking for a way to tip the scales even more. I want someone to break into House Durtha and find something either incriminating or some source of power that they think gives them an advantage and neutralize it. I have already made agreement with Kalrissa about a fee.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Self-sufficient, meritocratic approach. Natalya can appreciate and work with that. Still, she hopes there will be time to discuss at least a bit of the overarching strategy, at the very least about how Kalrissa wants to present the coven's front, and whether to establish a full-fledged cover identity for extended contact with Lolth society, or to remain relatively anonymous. Those two already tell her much about her role in the coven, at least for the time being.

"Milena" stands beside Evindress, carrying herself as a perfect complement to her lover, while maintaining an air of grace and precision, so obvious that even a delusional drow matron can see. Though she would hardly drop anything approaching even faint praise for filthy servants, perceived competence can go a long way towards having the matron lower her guard.

"Your wish is our command, exalted Matron Mother. If you'll allow me the question: is there anything that would particularly enjoy seeing stolen, destroyed, or sabotaged," Natalya throws that last one in to get the matron's mind going a little. Perceived value is sometimes even more important than actual value, especially for someone whose ego appears to be getting the better of her from time to time. Usually, such people have at least one matter in which they wish particular misfortune upon a loathed rival, even if it something petty and ultimately meaningless like being caught in a compromising situation or drawing ridicule for something. "or are we free to bring about what you desire by our own discretion?" Natalya's honeyed words stay on the side of stroking the matron's ego, good little servants to the "mighty" matriarch, but enough of a professional approach is kept to not strain that particular angle overmuch.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

You can do as you wish. Incriminating documents are always nice, magic can be replaced but proof of traitorous intent cant be undone. I dont claim to know what Durtha is up to and Natalya has to suppress a gasp of shock at the stupidity of a noble house having no idea of what their opponent is up to but if you find something juicy, thats good. If you find something that you dont understand, either bring it along or smash it to smithereens.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Unless this matron is running spells that make detecting lies all but impossible, such as glibness (something Natalya feels she is on the cusp of mastering, such magic not coming as easily as it does for witches), Natalya really needs to hear from Kalrissa about the goal of establishing this house.

"As you wish," "Milena" says, with another bow. A subtle look to Kalrissa to see if the priestess would like the both of them to stay there and wait for the matron to leave, or to get going immediately.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing Natalya wanting to talk, Kalrissa wraps up the meeting, telling her that they will be in touch as soon as they have something, and that the pair will head out within the hour. Once she is out of the room, being escorted by the woman that brought her, Kalrissa turns back and says...So, what do you think?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Either this matron is a very good or glibness-boosted liar trying to pass herself off as an imbecile to have others underestimate her, or she is utterly incompetent as the matron of a noble house. If it is the latter, and she is representative of the rest of her house, Ral'Turpin is dead in the water and will be destroyed soon, and unknowing slaves to Kerith'Kahn beforehand. Whatever use they have, it will most likely be shortlived, but that could also mean taking the fall for anything disruptive. If one of her daughters is more competent, we might be able to get to her and install her as the one pulling the strings inside the house, but she will need to be good. We could also attempt to reinforce the house with a few choice "servants" and "advisors". At least this is based on this conversation and the current situation, so my assessment is limited in scope and accuracy."

"I would like to ask what the coven's strategy and goal is for this house, at least as far as you are willing to share with a new operative. Additionally, I would like to know how the coven presents itself to the rest of Crag Noir, and whether I should create a more in-depth cover identity for myself that could hold up to some measure of extended scrutiny, or if you would prefer I stay mostly anonymous, taking on and shedding covers and disguises as needed."
    The coven appears to have a front as an underground group that hires out services, but there is still so much she does not know about the coven.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

She is neither equipped with glibness nor is she trying to play up being incompetent...and the house has its status by pure luck. Her house will devoured soon, in fact, without what we are going to provide, they wouldnt stand a chance. As for why we are backing them, its all about the coin they offer, nothing more. The battles between the houses are something I dont care about, in fact, the more they fight, the better. We dont want one house eventually taking full power because once they dont have each other to fight, they might begin to notice us. Thats why, under no circumstance, would we ever support a D'Espana venture, they are too high ranking. Same goes for Dereth'Kahn.
    As well, there is a daughter in the Durtha family that we have had our eyes on, and if they go down, we might be able to rescue her. Or if they manage to win, there is a prospect among the Turpins.
    As for your other question, we do not present ourselves to society at all. We dont exist. The Spider Queen does not tolerate any other religions, and as you will soon learn, Lolth would rather make out with Corellon than see any of us live. Compared to how she hates us, she positively loves Eilistraee. They dont know we are here, and we need to keep it that way. The Turpins dont know of our aid as coming from Nocticula, they were looking for someone to pull a heist and we offered up.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"I meant the front the coven puts forth. I thought the secrecy of the coven's true identity self-evident. We are, apparently, posing as some form of underground group for hire, and knowing what we pose to be could aid in dissuading anyone from looking deeper, should any attention be drawn to the coven for one reason or another. I would also be interested in the name and appearance of this potential Durtha recruit, so no harm comes to her."

Afterwards, Natalya excuses herself, saying she will begin scouting the Kal'Durtha residence and gather information, to plan their heist.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

We dont try to put forth a front, we operate in secret. Its unusual for us to hire out, we usually hear rumors and such and if taking action would be useful, we do so. We do hire out, but try not to be seen as an organization, just a person heard something and recommended She also gives you the name of the recruit.

Evindress takes a paper from Kalrissa, and leads Natalya to the same place where her wardrobe was replaced. Handing over the paper, she requisitions two skin tight catsuits, along with two pairs of soft boots. These have to returned after the mission, but we do have supplies for certain things
    (+3 circumstance bonus to hide/move silently)
    She also requisitions a masterwork lockpick set for herself.
    So how do you want to play this?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Back in their room, Natalya suits up with her new infiltration outfit, much to Evindress' viewing pleasure (and much to her delight, the noblewoman's lover gets to make many hands-on checks and adjustments).

"Fast, to be honest. We scout the place, get an overview on all ways in and out, where the more important rooms seem to be, as well as what guard patrol routes we can spot. The house is more competent than Ral'Turpin and will be ready for some sort of action by them. I would not be surprised if Kal'Durtha will soon learn that the matron hired outside help for an operation against them, so the sooner we move, the better. Social infiltration is out, as is thorough planning and information gathering. We spend as little time as possible on their territory, fast in, fast out. If we can get our hands on a house servant running errands during our scouting, that is a bonus, but we cannot plan for that. We try to keep our operation silent for as long as we can, and if we are discovered, we grab and destroy what we can, and retreat. If we can create a distraction beforehand or during our robbery, even better, but I fear we will need to play some of it by ear."

"I have to admit that the attack on my house came at an unfortunate time. Kil'Ratha infiltrators rely on magic for stealth and opening locks, but I am still at the cusp of mastering a more practical kind of silence and my magical reserves are limited. A consequence of having to cover so many roles individually. Hiding is not an issue, staying silent is without magic, and thus far, I am only able to create a field of total silence. I would provide invisibility and silence to us, dropping the latter should we need to go loud. For our scouting, I can provide us with the ability to see in darkness further than what drow are usually able to. I am also capable of very short-lived flight, to reach higher places or escape, but that is limited to myself, sadly, but spider climb is also among my spells. Needless to say, however, we will we need to plan what spells to use, as I am still limited to a few of them. I will not be able to renew any of the spells, so we need to make them count."

Looking to Evindress (and also helping her with her catsuit), she asks "Are you trained in matters of stealth, opening locks, and disabling traps? What spells are you able to cast?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

It takes much longer than it normally should for the two women to get changed into their stealth outfits, mostly because Evindress takes full advantage of Natalya's obvious open invitation to doing hands on adjustments, especially around the chest where most drow are not as endowed as the noblewoman...it takes some time to make it fit. As she helps her, she recounts her talents....Apart from performance skills, my bardic talents are pretty much all about infiltration, such as opening locks, shutting down alarms, moving quietly and even bluffing my way out of trouble. In contrast to that however, my magic is pretty loud, concentrated in the school of evocation and when we raided that mage school, I made off with several scrolls of spells I cannot naturally cast.
    With one last squeeze and rub, Evindress stands back...fits perfectly. Shall we?
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"It appears we are a perfect fit in more ways than one," Natalya says, pleased to learn her lover's abilities exactly covering her own shortcomings and vice versa, and just how insatiable Evindress' desire for her is. She has always been aware that her body has a particular appeal among her kind, but much to her satisfaction, it seems tailor-made to be Evindress' weakness. "I will look for traps, disabling them if you can and opening locks, I shall leave to you."

With that, Natalya heads out with Evindress, towards the Kal'Durtha residence. Once they have found good vantage points on their target outside of the 120ft darkvision range of the guards, Natalya casts ebon eyes on both herself and Evindress, granting them the ability to see in the dark as humans can see in the sunlight on the surface. Using their superior sight, they examine the defenses, number of guards, their patrol patterns (especially what they can see through any windows), entrances to the residence (especially ones mostly out of sight should they be mysteriously opened), whether they can make out any rooms like studies or chambers of the nobles, and how much appears to be going on in and around the residence.

They must not spend more time inside than necessary, so ideally, they want a route through the residence, covering as much ground as they can while looking for their objectives, then have an exit for if they manage to not get detected, or a laundry list of emergency exits should things go sideways. Noise is perhaps Natalya's biggest worry. Her stealth skills at moving silently are minimal due to her particular training, and a silence spell can quickly raise suspicion in close quarters if the surroundings are not on the spacious side, alerting people to a sudden loss of hearing. Another reason why she wishes to move fast, under the cover of invisibility. A passing moment of silence may well be recognized as an infiltration attempt, but it may also leave the guards confused at first. Seconds they can use to take what they need and get out.

As they are gathering information, Natalya (along with Evindress) also keeps an eye on any servants of the house leaving the Durtha residence, preferably the more meek, housekeeping kind, who may have knowledge of the house. A male would naturally be ideal, by far the easiest to get under their sway. But if no one like that can be seen, then that is how it is. Another thing she keeps an eye on is anything that could serve as a distraction, be it something particularly flammable or that would cause quite the scene.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ebon Eyes on Natalya and Evindress, lasting for 50 minutes.