New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Remastered coming soon and new Mass Effect Game in the Works

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Assuming EA doesn't just do what EA does best and shut the studio down thanks to Anthem's failure, of course...
    I’m buying the new ME edition specifically to hope that doesn’t happen. Let the EA bastards know that there’s still a market for RP heavy single player games in the Bioware style. And pray that it’s enough that they can let an ME4? 5? And Dragon Age come out as dedicated single player experiences.

It’s sad that EA got their hands on Bioware. Despite some good games that buck the trend it’s becoming more obvious that these single player experiences work better when used as console sellers, which is not EA’s market.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Remastered coming soon and new Mass Effect Game in the Works

It would appear as though Anthem's unfortunate demise might have in fact saved Dragon Age 4, at least.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would appear as though Anthem's unfortunate demise might have in fact saved Dragon Age 4, at least.
    That is certainly a thing. But I doubt it saves or harm DA4. My entirely baseless pessimistic assumption is that they have found a new means to monetize the single player content in a way that will effect the story and gameplay directly. Rather than just the usual fair of costumes and multiple player classes I could safely ignore before.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Eh, that's hyperbolic - DAI had multiplayer, and while it was completely vestigial and forgettable, the singleplayer was still great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    That is certainly a thing. But I doubt it saves or harm DA4. My entirely baseless pessimistic assumption is that they have found a new means to monetize the single player content in a way that will effect the story and gameplay directly. Rather than just the usual fair of costumes and multiple player classes I could safely ignore before.
    Probably just the usual stuff - preorder bonuses, story DLC, cosmetics etc. Stuff we'd have been sold anyway, in other words.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Probably just the usual stuff - preorder bonuses, story DLC, cosmetics etc. Stuff we'd have been sold anyway, in other words.
    We'll see. We can certainly hope. But this is EA and as I said, I'm pessimistic.

I'm thinking of the War Table from DA:I but you can pay money to speed up the missions and to get certain good endings/events to happen some number of these missions needs to be worked through. With the timing specifically calculated so that if you don't spend money you'll be nowhere close to completing them before you get to the end game. That kinda bull****.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

We'll see. We can certainly hope. But this is EA and as I said, I'm pessimistic.

I'm thinking of the War Table from DA:I but you can pay money to speed up the missions and to get certain good endings/events to happen some number of these missions needs to be worked through. With the timing specifically calculated so that if you don't spend money you'll be nowhere close to completing them before you get to the end game. That kinda bull****.
    Take that, and then tie story progression to it, so it becomes a massive slog if you don't pay for the mission speed ups and/or result upgrades. They could go full Shadow of War on it.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking about how a lot of Inquisition's later areas felt wrong to me because my dumb completionist self spent so long in the initial open area, because why would I leave before I finished there? And then I was the wrong level for later areas and quests that had you go back to the first area felt really tedious. The hazards of a semi-open world i suppose.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Spamalot in the Playground

Even in that extremely unlikely event, mods would solve that problem in short order. (Well, not for console, but that's not my problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #458
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I mean, I already fiddled with my system clock so I wouldn't have to bother with the bull**** waittimes in a single-player RPG; I doubt the PC version crowd wouldn't figure out a way to cheat the system within a week.

Still awful for anyone playing on console though.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ettin in the Playground

Case in point, EA managed to cram pay-to-win mechanics into SIM CITY of all things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

I just disabled my wifi and changed the system. That seemed to have worked okay.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

At least in their non-sports games, EA seems to have cooled considerably on microtransaction nonsense. There wasn't any in Star Wars: Squadrons, and I think there was at most some completely pointless cosmetics in New Jedi Order, which are the last two games they've done with significant singleplayer components.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm more concerned about them jumping horses midstream. If Dragon Age 4 truly was "Anthem 2: This time with swords" then the change of direction now means almost nothing. I'm not that interested in playing single-player Anthem or Fallout 76. I'd be more sanguine about it if Dragon Age had ever had really good gameplay, but it hasn't. It's always been at the "just not bad enough to not get in the way of the story too much" level. Andromeda showed me there's a limit to the amount of BS I'm willing to put up with for a Bioware story. They're going to have to wow me in order for me to get back on board.