New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Remastered coming soon and new Mass Effect Game in the Works

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    This news makes me feel very...torn.

On one hand, I loved the Mass Effect trilogy, even the ending. It could honestly still be improved, sure, but I think the base is quite good. So a remaster that updates the graphics, maybe fixes/streamlines the game play? I'd be so very down for a new adventure with Commander Shepard and his/her crew. I'd love it in fact.

...On the other hand, Mass Effect Andromeda utterly broke my heart in terms of missed appeal. Its one of the few games I was hyped for that I got...and...I didn't just not finish because I forgot to or started to play something else. I put Andromeda down, walked away, and only recently reinstalled it because a friend really wants to play the multiplayer with me.

That..that makes it awfully hard for me to get excited about a new Mass Effect game, combined with how final three was and the fact future games won't be set in the world my Shepard shaped either because its in the past/future or so far distant they don't need to address what happened in Mass Effect 3. So barring some phenomenal publicity on their part (something Mass Effect is more than capable of mind), I think the only thing that'd make me excited would be if they announced the new Mass Effect was part of a new series.

One where they flat out say 'these games follow a Control ending, these games follow the destroy ending, and these ones follow the Synthesis ending'. You know, Legend of Zelda timeline that bitch. That would be pretty cool. What? You want a Refusal ending game series? That's easy. Its a blank screen that says 'everyone died because Shepard was an idiot/a brat'.
    Judging by some of those remarks, perhaps you haven't seen the teaser trailer for the new game? Because, while it is vague, it does imply a few things that go along with what you say you'd hope for. It will clearly be a follow-up to the original trilogy rather than Andromeda, and strongly implies it's going with the Destroy ending specifically as canon (and thus going to address the fallout from ME3 in some way). And while we don't know how far ahead it will be for sure, if the Asari that we see is Liara, it can't be too crazy far of a jump ahead - plus the fact that we see her picking up an N7 logo might even imply it's occurring shortly after ME3, unless that was just done for the sake of the teaser and not meant to indicate anything about the story of the game itself.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Mass Effect Remastered coming soon and new Mass Effect Game in the Works

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    And while we don't know how far ahead it will be for sure, if the Asari that we see is Liara, it can't be too crazy far of a jump ahead
    Asari live for hundreds of years. Morinth is supposed to be several hundred years old when you encounter her in Mass Effect 2, and her mother Samara is getting on for a thousand. So, just seeing a known Asari in the trailer doesn't tell us anything about what sort of time skip we're talking about.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I have a theory about this.

Swords are a product of individual craftsmanship, guns are a product of industrial process.

Industrial process is designed to produce uniformity*. Individual craftsmanship inherently introduces variation whether it is desired or not.

That means that if you have two swords that look similar to the eye they can actually be very different, one can be much much better made than the other, better balanced, better tempered, better quality metals.

But two guns of the same model are designed to be as identical as possible*.

So it's easier to accept the idea that you can sword harder with a better sword than it is to accept that this M16 bullets harder than that other M16 because this one is purple and that one is green.

* Uniformity is a significant reason behind why guns even work properly. Having an exact fit of projectile to barrel is necessary for any degree of accuracy, that's why basically every pre-industrial firearm was basically limited to "point in the general direction of the enemy regiment and hope".
    I really think you're exaggerating the differences in cutting power between sharpened pieces of metal. One iron sword isn't going to realistically cut much better than another any more than one ak-47 will shoot harder than another. It might be better balanced, or more durable, but any practical differences in cutting ability are going to realistically be very minor.

Sure, you can handwave the differences as magic, but that's not much different than handwaving differences as future tech.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I really think you're exaggerating the differences in cutting power between sharpened pieces of metal. One iron sword isn't going to realistically cut much better than another any more than one ak-47 will shoot harder than another. It might be better balanced, or more durable, but any practical differences in cutting ability are going to realistically be very minor.

Sure, you can handwave the differences as magic, but that's not much different than handwaving differences as future tech.
    I think you might be a bit surprised there. I’ve handled cheap display swords, mid ranged mass produced sharpened swords, and individually hand crafted swords and the difference in cutting ability is noticeable. Minor imperfections can make the cut turn in your hand which directly effects how efficient of a cutting instrument you have. Lower grade steel will deform more easily they strike which also directly effects the ability to cut. And finally just getting the shape less optimally so the taper is off makes the sword difficult to cut with. And if we look at medieval swords there was a wide range of weapons, some of them clearly pretty crude and massed produced with inefficient tapers, a range of steel qualities, and so on.

Now does this difference correlate to double or triple the damage of the starting weapon like we see in loot grinding video games?

No. Definitely not. But the concept is there.

I personally don’t really find much interest in exploring this concept, because “sword does triple damage now.” Doesn’t really change how you play, or add anything to the system other than the enemies get a new redesign so now the new enemy your facing has triple the life, which is just a pointless treadmill is rather be off of.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    I think you might be a bit surprised there. I’ve handled cheap display swords, mid ranged mass produced sharpened swords, and individually hand crafted swords and the difference in cutting ability is noticeable. Minor imperfections can make the cut turn in your hand which directly effects how efficient of a cutting instrument you have. Lower grade steel will deform more easily they strike which also directly effects the ability to cut. And finally just getting the shape less optimally so the taper is off makes the sword difficult to cut with. And if we look at medieval swords there was a wide range of weapons, some of them clearly pretty crude and massed produced with inefficient tapers, a range of steel qualities, and so on.

Now does this difference correlate to double or triple the damage of the starting weapon like we see in loot grinding video games?

No. Definitely not. But the concept is there.

I personally don’t really find much interest in exploring this concept, because “sword does triple damage now.” Doesn’t really change how you play, or add anything to the system other than the enemies get a new redesign so now the new enemy your facing has triple the life, which is just a pointless treadmill is rather be off of.
    I'm willing to bet the difference is less than that of a standard rifle vs a high velocity one with armor piercing rounds.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Judging by some of those remarks, perhaps you haven't seen the teaser trailer for the new game? Because, while it is vague, it does imply a few things that go along with what you say you'd hope for. It will clearly be a follow-up to the original trilogy rather than Andromeda, and strongly implies it's going with the Destroy ending specifically as canon (and thus going to address the fallout from ME3 in some way). And while we don't know how far ahead it will be for sure, if the Asari that we see is Liara, it can't be too crazy far of a jump ahead - plus the fact that we see her picking up an N7 logo might even imply it's occurring shortly after ME3, unless that was just done for the sake of the teaser and not meant to indicate anything about the story of the game itself.
    I had not yet, no.

And while some of that makes me more hopeful, I must admit that I don't have much interest in picking up after the Destroy ending. Its...the least interesting of the endings cause I still don't consider the refusal option to be an ending. So still going to keep an eye on this a bit, but its largely in a 'I really hope they do LoZ this with different games following different canon endings' cause I don't have a ton of interest in playing through the games just for the Destroy ending. And Synthesis and Control are different enough that they can't realistically roll them into one game.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Asari live for hundreds of years. Morinth is supposed to be several hundred years old when you encounter her in Mass Effect 2, and her mother Samara is getting on for a thousand. So, just seeing a known Asari in the trailer doesn't tell us anything about what sort of time skip we're talking about.
    Sure, but Asari lifespans are like D&D Elves - hundreds of years, but not thousands. If Liara is still around, we're not looking at a massive timeskip that will erase all traces of what happened in the original trilogy. Doubly so if the fact that she's picking up a piece of (probably Shepherd's) N7 armor part is reflective of anything in the actual plot, since then it's obviously set shortly after ME3.

I had not yet, no.

And while some of that makes me more hopeful, I must admit that I don't have much interest in picking up after the Destroy ending. Its...the least interesting of the endings cause I still don't consider the refusal option to be an ending. So still going to keep an eye on this a bit, but its largely in a 'I really hope they do LoZ this with different games following different canon endings' cause I don't have a ton of interest in playing through the games just for the Destroy ending. And Synthesis and Control are different enough that they can't realistically roll them into one game.
    Hey, I agree about Destroy being the least interesting ending - and also, personally, the most distasteful, considering what it does to the Geth and EDI. But I'm not going to write it off on that point alone, personally, as it's not like it puts up any major barriers to them telling a good new story either. Depending on what they're doing gameplay-wise, it could definitely still interest me.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

I disagree that Destroy is the least interesting. It is the one where you have the most potential for stuff to happen. The old paradigm has been destroyed, every military is devastated, the galaxy is wide open for adventures and exploitation. You can tell pretty much any story you want with the Destroy ending.

Control has the Superman problem, of why isn't Shepherd using his nigh invincible army of super robots to just solve whatever problem needs to be solved.

Synthesis would be interesting in actually exploring what Synthesis actually means, but there is a degree of uniformity with it. Everyone is now a cyborg. Maybe that means nothing more than saying everyone was organic before, but that feels like a cop out. But saying that now everyone is the same in some way removes the interesting alien races that make the setting so interesting in the first place. But I feel like any story they did after the Synthesis ending, would have to be almost purely about the Synthesis ending, so while it's an interesting concept, it is also one that doesn't really let you explore anything else. Not until that is addressed at least.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #279

I had not yet, no.

Yes, this. If they're going with "the Destroy ending was what Shepard did," that would reduce the chances of my picking up the game from low to nonexistent.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Yes, this. If they're going with "the Destroy ending was what Shepard did," that would reduce the chances of my picking up the game from low to nonexistent.
    Meanwhile, it would raise my chances of buying the game from medium to high. Since I consider destroy to be the only sensible option they gave us, it helps raise my confidence in the writing if they actually build on that instead of the terrible control or synthesis endings.

Realistically what we'll get is an unsatisfying mish-mash of the different options that's intentionally vague about what Shepard actually picked. This allows them to avoid angering fans of other endings, keep the Reapers as a plot device, maintain the diversity of the races in the setting, and even add one with the hybrids.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

The best thing they could do, if they continue in the Milky Way, is to reference the endings as little as possible. There's nothing to be gained from revisiting them. Especially since the game needs to be accessible to new players, who might not have any idea about the ME3 endings, except that they made people really angry.
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-12-19 at 07:52 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    The best thing they could do, if they continue in the Milky Way, is to reference the endings as little as possible. There's nothing to be gained from revisiting them. Especially since the game needs to be accessible to new players, who might not have any idea about the ME3 endings, except that they made people really angry.
    That sounds terrible in a plot based game. Maybe it would work if they jumped forward in time thousands of years, but not if they're reusing characters from the last trilogy. The endings of the trilogy fundamentally alter the entire universe. There's no way to stay in the same setting and not mention them.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds terrible in a plot based game. Maybe it would work if they jumped forward in time thousands of years, but not if they're reusing characters from the last trilogy. The endings of the trilogy fundamentally alter the entire universe. There's no way to stay in the same setting and not mention them.
    Like I said: as little as possible. They will need to be mentioned at some point, but it needs to be kept down to a minimum. And no, it won't be easy. I don't really know how they'll do it. But they do need to do it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I'm willing to bet the difference is less than that of a standard rifle vs a high velocity one with armor piercing rounds.
    Yeah, but a lot more than two rifles of the same make and model using the same ammunition.

Remember this is not about an M82 .50 cal sniper doing more damage than an M16, it's about a purple M16 doing more damage than a green M16 with the same ammo.

Because that's what you get in most numbers heavy RPG shooters, there are only actually a dozen or so guns but they drop at a wide array of levels and rarities that affect how hard they bullet, with the same bullets, without changing any other properties of the weapon.

With swords, because they're works of individual craftsmanship, there is no such thing as a standardised "make and model", so it feels less awkward when sword A is a lot better than sword B of the same general shape.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2020-12-19 at 10:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

At the moment it's about how every single gun in Cyberpunk 2077 has a randomly generated damage value based on (I think) what level you were when you found it. So if you like, say, the Copperhead rifle, you need to compare every Copperhead you find, because your current version might have 97 DPS, but the new one does 103 DPS. And then move all your mods over to the new one. This happens a lot, because every dude you kill drops their gun. Even if they just had fixed stats for each gun at each level it wouldn't be so bad.

And yes, this would be pretty much just as annoying as with swords.
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2020-12-19 at 12:05 PM.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

16. - Top - End - #286

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    At the moment it's about how every single gun in Cyberpunk 2077 has a randomly generated damage value based on (I think) what level you were when you found it. So if you like, say, the Copperhead rifle, you need to compare every Copperhead you find, because your current version might have 97 DPS, but the new one does 103 DPS. And then move all your mods over to the new one. This happens a lot, because every dude you kill drops their gun. Even if they just had fixed stats for each gun at each level it wouldn't be so bad.

And yes, this would be pretty much just as annoying as with swords.
    Well yeah, Cyberpunk is high on my mind when I'm talking about this because it feels particularly egregious due to the range of damage numbers you can get (and I do not think it helps the game, the strongest stuff in it is not the numbers in combat). And you can take it too far with anything but it's much easier to imagine the difference between a vaguely sharpened metal bar hammered on by a disinterested apprentice on a saturday afternoon before he sloped off to the pub and the life's work of the greatest swordsmith in the land than it is to imagine two products off the exact same production line being so different.

That's why games have been doing it for decades without anyone thinking it was weird in fantasy settings, even when the swords aren't explicitly magic.

It's also why I thought the gear system in Fallout 4 was particularly good, because the difference between Hunting Rifle A and Hunting Rifle B wasn't that one was just higher level and more purple, it was a function of the components the weapon was made from. (Put that in your diaries folks, today I said something nice about Fallout 4).
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2020-12-19 at 04:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well yeah, Cyberpunk is high on my mind when I'm talking about this because it feels particularly egregious due to the range of damage numbers you can get (and I do not think it helps the game, the strongest stuff in it is not the numbers in combat). And you can take it too far with anything but it's much easier to imagine the difference between a vaguely sharpened metal bar hammered on by a disinterested apprentice on a saturday afternoon before he sloped off to the pub and the life's work of the greatest swordsmith in the land than it is to imagine two products off the exact same production line being so different.

That's why games have been doing it for decades without anyone thinking it was weird in fantasy settings, even when the swords aren't explicitly magic.

It's also why I thought the gear system in Fallout 4 was particularly good, because the difference between Hunting Rifle A and Hunting Rifle B wasn't that one was just higher level and more purple, it was a function of the components the weapon was made from. (Put that in your diaries folks, today I said something nice about Fallout 4).
    ...Legendary Weapons aside, anyway.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I disagree that Destroy is the least interesting. It is the one where you have the most potential for stuff to happen. The old paradigm has been destroyed, every military is devastated, the galaxy is wide open for adventures and exploitation. You can tell pretty much any story you want with the Destroy ending.

Control has the Superman problem, of why isn't Shepherd using his nigh invincible army of super robots to just solve whatever problem needs to be solved.

Synthesis would be interesting in actually exploring what Synthesis actually means, but there is a degree of uniformity with it. Everyone is now a cyborg. Maybe that means nothing more than saying everyone was organic before, but that feels like a cop out. But saying that now everyone is the same in some way removes the interesting alien races that make the setting so interesting in the first place. But I feel like any story they did after the Synthesis ending, would have to be almost purely about the Synthesis ending, so while it's an interesting concept, it is also one that doesn't really let you explore anything else. Not until that is addressed at least.
    I personally disagree, the Destroy ending gets rid of the old paradigm, sure, but it doesn't actually replace it with anything. So yeah, in that sense, its full of possibility in the same sense a blank slate is. All that's certain is EDI and the geth are just GONE as are the Mass Relays...which limits story telling cause, going by Mass Effects own lore, you'd be restricted to a single system, maybe a second throughout the course of the game. Even then, you still have the same base parts there, nothing new had been added to the setting, only removed. It becomes Mass Effect: Post-Apocalypse.

Control however doesn't have the Superman problem...largely because Shepard becomes an unknown and terrifying factor in the universe now. Was control even feasible or is Shepard just the unified face of the Reapers now? How firm is that control in the first place? What does Shepard use the Reapers for and what happens to those who disagree with Shepard? For that matter, what impact does studying the Reapers (if that's possible) have on galactic society? Plus, how do different races...well..deal with Reaper Leader Shepard? Try to curry favor? Just ignore that massive threat? Sure, you get some of that with Destroy but its not the same as intact, functional Reapers with advanced technology and culmination of an entire race's knowledge built inside of them. All the same elements from Destroy are still there, but now there's more such as EDI, the geth, and the intact Reapers which would undoubtedly hold fascinating information about past threats or the Reapers creators.

I do, to a degree, agree that a game following the Synthesis ending would largely be about the effects of Synthesis had on the Milky Way but that's also what's compelling about it because its such a massive paradigm shift. Plus the Reapers are still there, but no longer under any being's sole control anymore. Does everyone accept synethsis happened? Are some trying to reverse it? What kind of problems would go through the Geth collective with those changes (assuming they are still alive)? So on and so forth. It means games following synthesis would HAVE to address synthesis but that's also the appeal.

I could think of nothing less satisfying than this. It can make the game accessible to new players very simply by addressing whichever ending Bioware decides is canon (hopefully just for this game(s) and not forever after).
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

I personally disagree, the Destroy ending gets rid of the old paradigm, sure, but it doesn't actually replace it with anything. So yeah, in that sense, its full of possibility in the same sense a blank slate is. All that's certain is EDI and the geth are just GONE as are the Mass Relays...which limits story telling cause, going by Mass Effects own lore, you'd be restricted to a single system, maybe a second throughout the course of the game. Even then, you still have the same base parts there, nothing new had been added to the setting, only removed. It becomes Mass Effect: Post-Apocalypse.

Control however doesn't have the Superman problem...largely because Shepard becomes an unknown and terrifying factor in the universe now. Was control even feasible or is Shepard just the unified face of the Reapers now? How firm is that control in the first place? What does Shepard use the Reapers for and what happens to those who disagree with Shepard? For that matter, what impact does studying the Reapers (if that's possible) have on galactic society? Plus, how do different races...well..deal with Reaper Leader Shepard? Try to curry favor? Just ignore that massive threat? Sure, you get some of that with Destroy but its not the same as intact, functional Reapers with advanced technology and culmination of an entire race's knowledge built inside of them. All the same elements from Destroy are still there, but now there's more such as EDI, the geth, and the intact Reapers which would undoubtedly hold fascinating information about past threats or the Reapers creators.

I do, to a degree, agree that a game following the Synthesis ending would largely be about the effects of Synthesis had on the Milky Way but that's also what's compelling about it because its such a massive paradigm shift. Plus the Reapers are still there, but no longer under any being's sole control anymore. Does everyone accept synethsis happened? Are some trying to reverse it? What kind of problems would go through the Geth collective with those changes (assuming they are still alive)? So on and so forth. It means games following synthesis would HAVE to address synthesis but that's also the appeal.

I could think of nothing less satisfying than this. It can make the game accessible to new players very simply by addressing whichever ending Bioware decides is canon (hopefully just for this game(s) and not forever after).
    Canonically, we see them begin repairs, so there isn't any problem with the Mass Relays at least, assuming it takes place after a hefty time skip anyways. It is a bit of a blank slate sure. But we do know that for a long time, everyone is stranded on a ruined Earth. The Krogan have the genophage cured, the Salarians likely sat out the war, the Quarians have their home back. And if the Geth are gone, do the Quarians rebuild them? There is so much potential.

Considering Shepherd is the savior of the entire galaxy, it'd be a pretty big stretch to say they'd be anything but a benevolent force in the galaxy. But even if they aren't, well okay. Shepherd is than a tyrant who rules with an iron fist because nothing can stand up to the Reapers. There is simply too much power in a single character's hands. That might be an interesting story to tell, but what game could you make? What would the plot be that you can actually matter for?

The question of what actually is Synthesis would be very interesting. But it's a very hard question to handle well. If it doesn't fundamentally change everyone, than it feels like a cop out for this to be a solution to stopping the Reapers. But if it changes them too much than all the cool alien races we've had gets reduced to basically one, which is even worse. You've got to find a middle ground between the two, which is very hard to do.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Couple of points from the teaser that have been confirmed by Devs - the other galaxy you can see in background is Andromeda and Liara is climbing up a wrecked Reaper.

What relevance those facts have isn't known yet.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

This page of this thread alone shows why choosing a canon ending is fraught with risk at the best of times. And for what? Settling an argument from 10 years ago? There was nothing interesting about the endings then and that hasn't changed since.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

This page of this thread alone shows why choosing a canon ending is fraught with risk at the best of times. And for what? Settling an argument from 10 years ago? There was nothing interesting about the endings then and that hasn't changed since.
    Honestly, them not picking any ending would really upset me. If they can figure out how to do control or synthesis, cool. Not the ending I'd have gone with, but whatever. But the BS of just sorta not choosing an ending? That just feels insulting.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, them not picking any ending would really upset me. If they can figure out how to do control or synthesis, cool. Not the ending I'd have gone with, but whatever. But the BS of just sorta not choosing an ending? That just feels insulting.
    I predict they'll "pick" the Destroy ending and then just ignore most of it as they focus on something new. I don't see any way to get the other two endings involved.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Not a single system, but certainly a single cluster. After all, we saw inter-system travel without relays in ME2, ME3, and Andromeda... it just was limited to a small number of systems in the immediate area.

So, you might have, basically a "shell" of human colonies that you could visit, and since the Citadel space was pretty cosmopolitan, you'd likely run into aspects of every race throughout the space, and I could easily see a new beginning for different races. The quarians, for example, would be pretty well equipped to set out to a nearby Relay, and start opening up the galaxy again... they're already used to living on ships. I liked the idea of they and the turians more or less acquiring Mars as a home base, allowing them to start growing the dextro-protein foods they need without Palaven-Forming an existing planet. But on Earth, you'd have everyone living cheek and jowl in a planet ruined by war, and wanting to get out there to make their own way.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

25. - Top - End - #295

Flumph

The question of what actually is Synthesis would be very interesting.
    Yeah, pity they didn't put any thought into it in the game it was supposed to be the ultimate hard-to-get solves-all-the-problems golden ending really...

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, pity they didn't put any thought into it in the game it was supposed to be the ultimate hard-to-get solves-all-the-problems golden ending really...
    They didn't need to, no matter the ending you pick, Shepard doesn't make it to see that ending and you see almost the entire game from his/her perspective.

27. - Top - End - #297

I could have written that exact same post, except with shifted poles. In case this is unclear, let me show you what I mean:
    Quote Originally Posted by Could have been Kish
    Honestly, them picking an ending, thereby discarding the whole idea that the player's choices ever actually mattered, would really upset me. If they can figure out how to make something that works without referencing which ending there was, cool. But the BS of them choosing an ending? That just feels insulting. Any ending, though of course the monstrous and genocidal Destruction ending would be the worst of the three.
    So...if you're hoping for a consensus that they should get on the "the Destruction ending was what happened" train, I'm afraid that's not happening.
    Last edited by Kish; 2020-12-21 at 06:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

ME3 already discarded the idea that the player's choices actually mattered. That was the whole point of why the 'pick your button color' ending was so awful.

And there simply is no way to make a new game in the ME universe with either the Control or Synthesis endings operational in anything like their intended forms. Synthesis, obviously, literally rewrites the fundamental nature of life itself in the galaxy. Control provides the galaxy with an enslaved Reaper workforce that dwarfs that industrial capacity of everything else put together, meaning all future stories are about how the Reaper-slaves are utilized because everyone else is no irrelevant. While each scenario might offer potential for speculative science fiction storytelling, they do not fit the traditional space opera framework of a Mass Effect game. Only the Destroy ending operates.

Of course it's trivial to edit the Destroy ending so that it only destroys the reapers, allowing other AIs and the Geth to survive. Honestly, the revelation that the Star Child was full of **** would probably be met with cheers by the fanbase.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2020-12-21 at 07:38 PM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I could have written that exact same post, except with shifted poles. In case this is unclear, let me show you what I mean:

So...if you're hoping for a consensus that they should get on the "the Destruction ending was what happened" train, I'm afraid that's not happening.
    I don't need a consensus on the Destroy ending. Just that not giving us a canon ending, like never mentioning what actually happened and trying to play around it would come off as cowardly and quite frankly insulting. Like if you don't think your fandom can handle whatever ending you've chosen, than you should've never given them a choice in the first place.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    ME3 already discarded the idea that the player's choices actually mattered. That was the whole point of why the 'pick your button color' ending was so awful.
    That's more or less my take on it. The choices already didn't matter and the next game isn't going to retroactively make them matter. So I care far less about that than about giving us new choices that hopefully matter.