New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Can't seem to find an upgrade for my tablet without losing features.

My 8" Android tablet has a 2048x1536 display. I'm quite satisfied with it, but it's five years old, and its most recent OS update (Android 5) is about to lose certificate support for HTTPS.

I can't seem to find anything at the same price point (it was about $200 new) with vanilla Android that doesn't have a worse screen resolution. Oh. Unless I chose to go with a larger display, but 8" is already almost too big. Anything bigger would be actively uncomfortable to use.

It seems like the market won't let me upgrade and keep resolution, screen size, and operating system compatibility. I have to lose on at least one. I'm very frustrated right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can't seem to find an upgrade for my tablet without losing features.

Have you looked into custom roms? If the hardware is satisfactory and it's just the security certification, that might be a workaround.

Alternately, how often do you use HTTPS through apps other than a web browser? IIRC, you can just download firefox for android, since mozilla has some of their own tricks there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can't seem to find an upgrade for my tablet without losing features.

I've thought about custom ROMs, but that solution has a couple problems. If I upgrade to a new tablet, I'll be able to have the old one next to it for a while too make sure I have everything properly copied over and set up. With a ROM on the same tablet, I only get one chance to get things right. I can back it up, but that still means possibly digging through files in a file manager without being sure what apps data files might be tied to, if I miss some downloaded photos, videos, etc.

Also, it means if something does go wrong, I'll be stuck with no tablet at all for a time until I fix the situation one way or another.

Also, it's a five year old tablet of a model that was released six years ago. Even if it's adequate, I feel like i should be able to spend the same or a little more and get something noticeably better without giving up any key features. But it seems like the 7" to 8" tablets with better than 1080 resolution are Apple or nothing now.

It just frustrates me that I can find this sort of device so useful, and yet somehow the market or marketing failed for these? I can't be the only one who finds 8" tablets just barely usable and 10" to be too big? But everything in the 8" category now seems to be cheap no-name brands with prices under $100 and specs that reflect that price.

So frustrating.

Edit: Maybe I should just get one of those cheap tablets, get it set up to the point that it's usable except for the resolution, and then try flashing an open source ROM on my current hardware. That's about the only safe-feeling way forward I can see at the moment.
    Last edited by gomipile; 2020-11-08 at 03:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone whose Girlfriend tried the same not a year ago, Ic an feel your pain.

The size slot you are looking for a replacement in seems to sell REALLY poorly, so all one gets are old ones or cheap ones, or if you can find a recent non cheapo model, youa ctually pay extra, cause its so rare.

have you thought about going not a bit but a LOT larger?

Will make you close to unable to use semi regular fingercontrol, but with a pen I for one have found that larger tablets tend to be more comfortable after a while...
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”