New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Guilty until proven innocent [IC]

You have a period of calm and you get to look around a little. You hear many birds sounds in the jungle. There's also the sound of howling monkeys somewhere further off.
    At one point you see a running bird, the size of a pheasant appear from under the ferns and run away again when it notices you.

The next new sounds are not what you wanted though they were expected. There's distant shouting from the direction of the camp where they held you.

Yarara comments
    They'll start looking for you soon. Would you like us to show you the way to the ranger's cabin?

Micruru says
    Or we could take you to a hidden crossing. You could get to the other side of the river without the guards knowing about it. Would you like that? ... Or we could take you back to our camp, we've got a bit of food.

Yarara interecedes
    Isn't that just a bad idea? Guards visit our camp sometimes.

Micruru shrugs.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Lucia shakes her head. "There's ten of us. They'll surely know you helped us."

"Quickly. Just who is this ranger, exactly? You said he's a cat? So.. he's with the Tabaxi guards??"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

"This river crossing: would it break up our tracks?"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Yarara answers
    Jaime is an elderly catfolk. He says he used to be a knight of Fist and Palm. He's a friendly sort. He's not with the guards but they leave him alone because he's a cat.

Micruru intercedes
    Or maybe because of that bear of his.

Micruru answers the second question
    Plenty of water, waterplants. Can't see or smell through water. No tracks. Don't you think so?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah. That does sound right."

He turns to Lucia, Zain, and Atronia. "I think our best chance at making it through the night is to find this river crossing and use it. Especially if we can go downriver a short distance without getting swept away..."

He turns back to their captives. "Uh... is that an option?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-11-15 at 04:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Micruru answers
    Maybe you could wade in the stream near the opposite shore?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

"That would work. Could you point us towards it? Actually... is it possible to give us instructions simple enough that we can find it on our own?"

"For that matter... can you tell us how to find the ranger in the morning?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

The ophidians try to explain the locations of the rivercrossing and the ranger's cabin but their descriptions are confusing. They use instructions like "Go towards the large tree from the warbler nest". You get the general idea that the crossing is somewhere below the waterfalls and that the ranger's cabin is somewhere north of the nearby hill. You suspect you could find the cabin with a bit of looking. The crossing might be difficult, possibly even dangerous without a guide.

While you discuss, the morning sun is covered by some clouds and you wonder if there might be rain later.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Atronia Ambrosia
    Human Fighter
    AC: 10 HP: 22/22
    PP: 11 PIv: 9 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --

"I think seeking out this ranger with our two new friends here as guides sounds like our best bet. Let us make haste on whatever path you two feel we can best avoid crossing paths with anyone else." Atronia says, holding back from saying aloud that she doubts these two would betray them to the slavers after going so far to guide them to someone who could help them escape given that would be more likely to get them harmed than get them a reward.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

"Cousin... are you sure? I think, given our current situation, the first step should be to make as sure as possible that we aren't being followed. We're going to have people come after us soon, and I'd rather we had already reached safety by the time they set out."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-11-15 at 08:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's just go. No time to talk about it now. Apparently, the place we would cross the river is also nearby where this ranger lives, isn't it? So we might as well head in that direction for now."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-11-15 at 08:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

The duo of ophidians start guiding you north. The way takes you near the hill you've been looking at but they take you along the hill's eastern edge. In this area you see a number of fruit-bearing trees. You can see a few ordinary apple trees and another with hairy, red fruit. The ophidians refer to it as chomchom.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    You can pick up fruit worth one meal without any significant slowing down here. Two meals worth if Caex stays a little behind to collect and runs after the rest. More if you want to actually spend time here.

After the fruit-trees you continue until you come to a smaller hill and a clearing. The hill is not particularly high, barely five or six meters higher than the surrounding ground. On top of the hill is a wooden cabin.

You can also see a fat orangecoloured catfolk lying on the cliff on his belly. He's lying on what looks like a cloak and wearing pants and a swordbelt. He looks to be enjoying the sun.

Lucia would say the trip took you 35 minutes. You can still hear yelling somewhere to the south but it hasn't come closer so far.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Atronia Ambrosia
    Human Fighter

Atronia immediately considers the value of mugging the catfolk for their sword, but instead looks at their guides and pointedly looks at him and whispers, "Is this who we're looking for? If not let's just go around."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Yarara points at the orange fat cat and says
    We've come to the ranger's cabin.

The cat, having likely heard you come, still only now bothers to turn around and look in your direction. He yawns and lifts one arm in a mild wave.

Micruru happily enounces
    Hello Jaime!

The cat lifts an eyebrow and says:
    The red shirt and blue ribbon of Ambrosia? How did you stickpickers collect a noble retinue in these woods?

Looking more closely at the cat you can see his skin is sagging on his face. He must've been enormous once if his shrunken form is this fat. He's missing hair here and there, possibly battle scars. His hair's unkempt. There's also a certain regality about him even in this condition. His simple stare is intimidating and despite his girth he moves easily and with uncommon grace.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uh... more the other way around, really." Chazwick can't resist chiming in. He looks to Lucia and Zain, figuring one of them will probably want to do the actual talking.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Blue and red was it? What's that then? I can't remember all of them northern houses. Too many.

Jaime slowly lifts himself into a sitting position and scratches himself.

So... You come as a group, fresh. Some of you still wearing chains. There's no escaping chains. They come in many forms.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Zain brushes the dirt off the clothes and steps forward. I am Zain Ambrosia. I am the younger brother of Lady Ambrosia. We have been wrongly accused of a crime and taken prisoner, we have since been sold to slave gang. We recently escaped and now seek your help. We could have easily taken these two slaves lives, but we are more interested in getting back to our land and reestablishing our fair name.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

"To clarify my earlier comment, what I meant was that the noble retinue collected them," Chazwick adds, realizing a second too late that what he'd said was a bit ambiguous.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-11-16 at 04:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh. Well spoken. I can't speak that well but my name's Jaime Day Glamorgan.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Day is an addition to the name of a noble house used by some southern houses in Fist and Palm. It's added in the name to honor the divine Suncobra.

Jaime keeps sitting down and speaks slowly.

Judgments we get, everyone. They called me a bannered knight once, for I killed enough barbarians that they judged me worthy to own land. They didn't care that I was a cat. Later I noticed that I care. We can't escape the judgments we make ourselves.

He stands up and walks slowly down the hill towards you. He makes a hand gesture used by knights to greet each other on the battle field.

He keeps talking, painfully slow even. But his voice doesn't waver.

You look familiar, Zain Ambrosia... I suppose you want hospitality? Knightly virtues. The kingdom's gods don't fare well here. But I'll offer you the hospitality. It's proper after all, even if we're in a land that doesn't recognize those rules. Host offers sanctuary, visitor honors host. No bad blood on this hill. Be welcome.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you kind sir, your hospitality is most welcome. If you have anything that might help in the release of these shackles it would be appreciated. But more importantly we need to know where we are and how to back to our land. Our Baroness is not with us and time is a commodity we don't have. Zain says gripping the ranger in the warrior's hand shake of the north.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2020-11-16 at 06:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Chazwick wasn't sure it was his place to interrupt again, but he felt his brother-in-law was ignoring the elder elemental in the room...

"Also... do you have some way to help us shake anyone who might be pursuing us? We... aren't sure we got away clean, and we're afraid we might have to avoid or hide from pursuit very shortly."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-11-16 at 06:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Glancing rather nervously behind them in the direction the shouting was, Lucia adds, "We would greatly appreciate the offer of hospitality, but as my kin says, we may not have time for it..."

"We heard you were a ranger, we just don't know how to get back, if we can even get back. But we've got to try. Do you know some secret way out of here or do.. do you think maybe joining up with one of those loyalist gangs might be our best bet??"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex
    Monk, Way of the Psion
    HP: 19/19, AC: 18

As the group moves through the forest she tries to set up a false paths or two for the pursuers to follow by heading off in a different direction intentionally disturbing the brush then backtracking.

Caex takes the opportunity to fill one of the packs they made with fruit.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

With her fast movement speed Caex had no trouble making several false paths and keeping up with the others.

Now the cat ranger listens to everything you say and waves you to come with him toward the cabin. He suddenly moves with surprising speed in front of you and by the time you're up the hill he's already gone into the cabin and come out again. He's got a hammer and a metal spike. He gives these to Atronia.

Can you use these?

He scratches his chin and wipes his forehead. Then he says
    I won't break guest right for the Iron chain. I'll drive them away. They're not nobles, they're just mercenaries. They won't care too much either. They would've been paid for you when they got through the gate-forts. Now they're just in trouble for breaking contract, not getting you to the farms and mines that are expecting new blood.

When you talk about a way out he pauses for a moment. Then he points toward the southeast and now that you're a little bit higher you can see a little further. Namely you can see three large plumes of smoke.

There's no way out on this side of the prison but something's broken over there. There's fire, I'm sure there's chaos. Probably a battle. Things can get messy but maybe there's a way out for you in the middle of that chaos.

He notices your tattoos and comments.
    Are you sure you want out? You sure there's a good life out there? They don't care about tattoos here.

He takes another look at Zain
    I knew a man called Xain who lived over the river. Sunkensky farm. Looked a bit like you. You could do worse than start there with your search for loyalists.

Spoiler: Zain
    Show
    Xain was the name of your father and he talked often of having lived at Sunkensky.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex
    Monk, Way of the Psion
    Pulling an apple out of the pack Caex offers it to the ranger.

"The Jaime-Day is most nice. This not much, we give thanks."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Chazwick hesitates, then sighs. "You're right about the tattoos. There's got to be a way to remove them, and if there isn't, I'm sure Zain and Lucia can make one given enough time and practice... but that's a long term project. Short term, we need to live with them. Maybe... maybe that's best done among the loyalist gangs. If they don't care about the tattoos. Uh... do they?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaime looks a little bit bothered by the offer of the fruit. He still takes it and bites into it.

Are you calling me fat?

It's impossible to know if he's joking. He eats the whole apple, just spits the seeds out one by one.

Some of the trees here didn't use to be just trees. There were dryads and ents. You couldn't pick fruit in those days. Somehow though all the faeries got weak over time. Some of them made new ways to survive here. Most of them left... who knows where. ... Reptiles and humans like to remember Birdland before the mraow came, but this wasn't originally the country of scaled ones.

He pauses again. When Chazwick brings the tattoos back into the conversation he answers...

Loyalists... heh heh... there's no loyalists. It's just a name. There's a group of sorry wretched prisoners and a leader who makes them believe in things... things like loyalty. If they don't like you, it won't be because of a tattoo.

He gives a weird toothy smile to Chazwick.

While this is going on Yarara says
    Right. Nice to meet all of you. I think we'll be going then.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Atronia Ambrosia
    Human Fighter

"Yes, yes I can. Thank you." Atronia replies with a small smile and then gets to work removing the rest of the chains from the group.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex
    Monk, Way of the Psion
    "The Maria, can try make sling weapon from boot leather, yes?"

Caex goes searching the nearby forest.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Asking Maria to try to cut the boots into cord and braid the cords into a sling, when she has time.

While more manacles are being removed Caex searches the surrounding forest for small trees or fallen branches that could be useful. Something that can be used as a quarterstaff, club, or hunting/fishing spear, etc.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2020-11-18 at 12:21 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Lucie sighs. How the heck did they end up in this situation??

"These tattoos are fake. They have to be. We'll find a way to remove them, one way or another..."

Anyway, after killing one of the guards, she kind of doubted they'd have the chance to go back to a "nice and easy" life of.. mining, lumberjacking, breaking her back under heavy loads. No thanks.

"Sounds like there may be nothing but trouble for us beyond the river but... I guess it's the only way out of here."