New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Guilty until proven innocent [IC]

Caex spends about thirty minutes looking for suitable materials in the woods. She notices that the loud voices of people in the south don't seem to be getting particularly closer within this time period. If there's pursuit, they seem to be not particularly successful at finding the right tracks.

In her searching she finds three branches that would reasonably make crude clubs and 2 long branches that could be turned into spears with little effort. Also she finds a large beehive.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    No skill roll but 10 minutes of work with a dagger to turn each of these into an improvised weapon with no extra minuses. A carpentry check to make them into the real thing.

Maria spends a few minutes staring at boot leather and then talks Rodrik into helping her try to make a sling. They end up failing in their efforts and shredding the rest of the boot leather for no gain.

Jaime keeps talking with the others and says to Lucia
    The mountains on this side of the valley are full of mines, crystal mines. That's the thing that draws the nobles... The smell of immortality. The southern side of the valley is less interesting to the mraow, the mountains there less guarded. You might meet caitsith tribes in the woods there but we're not guards. We've always lived here... Cats of the city of stars.

The two ophidians leave into the woods.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Atronia Ambrosia
    Human Fighter
    AC: 10 HP: 22/22
    PP: 11 PIv: 9 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --

"You don't happen to have a map or know where we could most easy find a forge we could use do you?" Atronia asks, thinking to herself that they sure do have a good amount of iron in the form of chains that could be turned into other things.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaime starts walking toward the hill and bids all of you present to come with him.
    He finds an easily climbable path to the hill and asks you to look around and try to memorize what you see.

Quite a view. See there, in the east. That's where I was born seven hundred years ago, on the shores of a lake. Now the lake's cursed and my people have scattered.

He waits for everyone to get a good view, the he points more southwards, at a point where there's a small lake.

There, behind the two rightmost plumes of smoke, next to the lake. There you might find some of those... loyalists. That's Sunkensky. Maybe they've got a forge too, maybe not. If the nobles had found one from them or anyone else they would've dismantled it.

You can also see the clearing where you started your escape from. The tents have been dismantled. You can just make out some people moving there.

Coatell asks
    You speak of nobles a lot and so did our guard. I know your religion is based around nobility but what does it mean really?

Jaime gives a scornful laugh.
    You ask me of religion? It means nothing, nothing whatsoever. A mraow noble is just a cat who owns a bit of land.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Chazwick decides not to mention that the sudden tumble has helped him realize his family were just humans who owned a bit of land.

"Do they claim to be something else? Do they claim to draw legitimacy from the gods, or anything like that? Or do they just straight-up say 'you'll obey because we have the power to enforce it?'"

"And, is there any sort of code of conduct the mraow nobles are supposed to follow, whether or not they actually do so?"

He suddenly breaks out into a grin. "Actually, if there is one... then do the mraow nobles take it seriously enough that they don't like getting caught breaking it?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-11-18 at 03:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaime starts a long monologue, during which he starts to sweat and sway a little to the rhytm of his words.
    A code, yes. There's a code...
    Under the Red Eye we live. We respect the Choice. The Choice creates the Plot. The Plot creates The Act. The Act creates the Loser as well as the Eternal.

We are the hollow men
    We are the stuffed men
    Leaning together
    Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
    Our dried voices, when
    We whisper together
    Are quiet and meaningless
    As wind in dry grass
    Or rats' feet over broken glass
    In our dry cellar

Shape without form, shade without colour,
    Paralysed force, gesture without motion;

Those who have crossed
    With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
    Remember us-if at all-not as lost
    Violent souls, but only
    As the hollow men
    The stuffed men.

The eyes are not here
    There are no eyes here
    In this valley of dying stars
    In this hollow valley
    This broken jaw of our lost kingdoms

In this last of meeting places
    We grope together
    And avoid speech
    Gathered on this beach of the tumid river

Sightless, unless
    The eyes reappear
    As the perpetual star
    Multifoliate rose
    Of death's twilight kingdom
    The hope only
    Of empty men.

He seems to come out of a memory and gives a minor explanation

The Choice is the first God, the eldest. Poet's call it the Starlight-Spear for it shows the way. It is the God of nobility and leadership. Anyone with the power to make a choice is akin to God. Anyone who can make another follow a code is noble. Make others into followers, servants. That is to be divine. That's how the nobles think.

He hisses and spits. Then he continues.
    I Like the kingdom's Suncobra. I like the warmth. Most mraow hate the sun. Good for something at least this God of yours.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex
    Monk, Way of the Psion
    HP: 19/19, AC: 18
    After spending a few second admiring the bees going about their work, Caex returns to the others. While getting some honey might be nice she is a little pressed for time.

"The Caex got sticks, good for fight, better then no stick."

She offers the club sticks, and potential spears to whoever would like to use them, keeping one spear for herself.

Once everyone else is free of the manacles she gets her other hand free.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex notices the others on the hill and get the same view as the others.

Justius would happily accept a spear and Rodrik a club with kind words:
    Thank you dear Caex. Now I'm finally feeling more prepared.
    He sets to making the grip better with his dagger.

Meanwhile Maria grumbles in a quiet way.
    Many knights are rough around the edges but this host of ours takes the mediocrity of spirit to a boring new low.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Uncle Zain will pull aside five of the best fighters and start his 10 minute inspiring leader speech. Each of them will gain 4 temporary hit points.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

When prodded for more information Jaime points towards the east, to the northern shore of the water areas he called cursed.

In the lower areas of the mountains there. There's ruins of a fort there, abandoned. It was called Tearhill. You can find it if you look for a large red stonecolumn. The fort lies between the column and the cursed lake. Maybe you'll find their forge functional. Certainly some skeletons are less of an obstacle than the mraow army.

Show
    Roughly between the coordinates E and F.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Chazwick says to Maria. "Well, he is helping. Let's not forget that."

When Jaime mentions the possible forge in the skeleton infested ruins, Chazwick stops to think. "But... if we use it, it'll make a column of smoke visible for miles, won't it? It might be worth going there, to see if the skeletons are protecting any loot worth using, but we'd just draw attention if we used the forge."

Chazwick pauses. "It... might still be worth doing, if we decide what we're making after we take stock of what's already there but before we light the forge, and if we get everything done as quickly as we can and leave immediately after we finish. But it's still a risk."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Maria seems humbled by Chazwick's words.
    I'm sorry for speaking out of turn. I gave but voice to what I believe everyone thinks.

Rodrik continues the conversation
    I see a bit of charm here and there. He's not that bad. Besides. We are guests, we should give him respect.

Maria continues.
    Still I wonder. Is it all an act?

Rodrik:
    The man seems to hurt. I don't see anything wrong in that.

Maria continues
    We can ill afford to consider another's hurt when we are ourselves in such a serious state. I'd like the man more had were we back home. I suspect the direct way... his push to direct into an area of battle. An ancient fort might hold something better than a forge. Maybe magics for Lucia to wield.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Uncle Zain looked back and forth as the conversation went on about the forge. Fact we have killed one of the enemy and they will seek us out. Fact they know we want to return to our side , so they might wait for us at the closest crossing or follow us. Fact we need to get better equipped and the fort could be a great source to get those supplies. I will now regale the mighty tales of our forefathers and how they survived insurmountable odds.
    Spoiler: inspired leadership
    Show
    Uncle Zain will now use his inspiring leadership to five of the those gathered. They will gain 4 temporary hit points.

He talks for ten minutes straight talking about our forefathers and their struggles they overcame to make the Ambrosia Family name strong and famous.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2020-11-19 at 06:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Atronia Ambrosia
    Human Fighter

After Uncle Zain's tale is finished Atronia says, "So it's agreed then. This Tearhill is our first destination. How long do you think it would take us to get there?" At this she looks to Jaime and looks to the sky to try and judge how much daylight is left. It'd be great to arrive before sundown, and even better still to not be poking about the abandoned fort in the dark.

Spoiler
    Show

Is it reasonable for Atronia to know that bludgeoning weapons would be a good idea to have on hand to deal with skeletons?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Noon's approaching as you start back down the hill towards Jamie's cabin.

You'll reach Tearhill by night if you walk the roads. They'll notice you for certain that way. But they might just let you walk along unless they also notice your weapons. The way doesn't look too far but the changes in elevation and the winding of the road make the path longer than it looks.

Were I to make the trip I would just go through the woods. It'll be slower but you can forage as you go and avoid prying eyes. There's a third alternative too. You can go up the hill beyond the treeline and walk there. That path has the disadvantages of both the first choices without any of the positives.

You'll probably run into a lumbercamp or a small farm somewhere along the way. They won't have much to share. Poor sons of otyughs that they are.

As you come to Jamie's cabin you see a bear, almost the size of a musk ox. It's missing one eye and part of one front paw. Jamie approaches the bear and gives it a half-hearted scratching around the ears. The bear tries to hug him.
    There there Odien, that's enough.

The bear's other front paw has some red on the claws.
    What have you done, Odien? Did somebody come snooping while daddy was gone? Well, you got them better than they got you.
    He ruffles the bear's fur again.

The Iron chain isn't that tough. They do carry bows though. It'd be better if they didn't come back. Are you leaving?

He says this in a way suggesting that he'd actually prefer if you didn't stay long.

Rodrik asks
    Would you guide us to the border of your realm?

Jaime winces.
    My realm is in Glamorgan, in the hills of south-west Gales. Ownership of this sorry plot of land is claimed by Shiniraer 'Longsocks', a baroness of Northern tunnels. Best hope you never meet her. I'll guide you a little while though if you'll do me a favour. I should've taken a certain thing to tribal lands years ago but I've never got to it. Would you do that for me?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Atronia Ambrosia
    Human Fighter

"Sounds like our best choice is to travel through the woods and sleep outdoors for a night so we can tackle Tearhill in the morning when we're fresh, rather than after a day's trek in the dark. I would be happy to accept your request, you've been generous with your time and knowledge with us."

After a pause to make it not seem like this comment is in any way attached to accepting his request Atronia asks, "You don't have any supplies of any kind you could spare do you? Anything at all would be a boon given our currently impoverished state."

Then a few moments later she asks the assembled group, "If I only worked the forge at night do you think we could avoid our smoke being seen?"

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaime gives a grumble which sounds vaguely appreciative of Atronia's words.

He walks into his cabin and brings out a few items. The first one he presents to Atronia is a longsword. It's exceedingly rusty and dented. You wonder if it's been used as a plow to make it reach it's current condition.

Show
    A longsword that does d6 crushing damage in it's current condition.

This is a sword that belonged to this old cat. He was a passable companion but now he lies dead in the Lake of Mirrors in the middle of that cursed area. It needs to be tossed to the lake so it reaches the one it belongs to. Who knows maybe his corpse will reach out and calm the ones still moving about... You can also keep the hammer I gave you.

Another thing he brings out is a large water skin, filled with water. He gives that to Maria.
    There. Take that one and don't spill any!

Then he turns to Rodrik and gives him this: https://i.etsystatic.com/8120659/r/i...05895_6kkz.jpg

You've a heart. Take this. I used this as a youngster. Maybe it'll do you good.

Show
    BAGH NAKH
    Martial Melee Weapon
    Name Cost Damage Weight Properties
    Kasa 1 gp 1d6 slashing 1/2 lbs Finesse, Light, Exotic
    The item also removes disadvantage to climbing checks for having no holds on a surface if the surface is such that the blades can penetrate.

Then he gives Chazwick a pair of boots.
    I don't know what you did with your boots, poor guy. But if you don't cover that wound it's going to fester.

Then he turns to Zain.
    I was no friend to Xain. I beat him up for he tried to intervene when I was punishing a poacher. I'd like to say that happened only once. This was his. I'd think he would have wanted it passed to you.
    He gives Zain a leather armguard with two golden rings to tie it to a hand. A picture of Dimvaran, the God of protection has been painted on the leather. There's a plate of stone on the item. It is made of the same vibrating crystal you have seen before.

Finally he turns to Caex and gives him a sling.
    You were looking for one of these. I use this rarely. I'll find a new one.

I don't keep much inventory. Here's a few things I had around. Find good use for them.

Show
    Rations for 14 people for 1 day.
    A dagger
    A herbalism kit
    2 flasks of oil
    2 shirts
    Three blankets

When Atronia asks of the smoke Jaime responds
    You'll decrease visibility that way. Sure enough. You shouldn't expect to be unseen though. Mraow have wizards and they usually specialize in divination. Being uninteresting is always better than being unseen.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

"I didn't do anything with my boots. A rather insecure Iron Chain thug took them off so she could cut my foot for being a wisearse. Thanks for replacing them."

When Jaime hands over the small clutch of items meant for nobody in particular, Chazwick asks "Is it okay with you guys if I take one of the daggers?"

And when he mentions the divination wizards, Chazwick says "Then maybe setting up our own forge isn't wise. We should still head to the old fort and clear it of skeletons, but we should assume the mraow will be on us before we can do much with the forge. I say we scavenge what we can, then head to the gang territory with it... and maybe set up our own forge if we manage to get control of the area."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-11-20 at 09:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

I thank you for this wonderful gift, it means the world to me. My father was a peaceful man and that does sound like him. Uncle Zain shakes his hand once more.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

With pleasantries exchanged you start moving into the woods. The route is towards north-east. Atronia and Jaime move in front, followed closely by Justius. In the middle are Uncle Zain, Miranda and Coatell. Rodrik and Maria are at the back of the line.

The woods would be rather pleasant in other circumstances. You encounter more of the fast walking birds that run under cover of ferns though you catch none. You see spots where the ground has given way and mid-forest there's a ravine, usually with water in the deep below. One time you hear a pack of wild dogs somewhere distant. Later you start hearing horns on the mountains.

Jaime comments
    They're rounding up troops. We might have to dodge them a bit even if they're going towards the trouble in the south.

He alters your course slightly and you find yourselves facing a cliff wall. Jaime shows you a path up the wall which is walkable all the way up top if you know where to step. The rise is not huge, but walking 12 meters up a cliff feels scary at times.

It's afternoon and you've moved maybe a fourth or a third of the way by this point. The weather remains beautiful.

Troops would have difficulty following this path. There's a couple of other same size rises to come in a while. I'd suggest camping between those rises. There's a nice small area that's quite difficult to reach if you don't know what you're doing. If you start early in the morning, you'll be able to forage while moving and you'll still reach Tearhill in daylight hours.

The travel continues another hour before you reach the next cliffrise and it takes most of another hour to safely reach the small flat area he referenced. It's an area maybe thirty by forty meters in size with some thorny bushes and beautiful pink flowers. Above it the cliff rises another ten meters.

I'd suggest the best climber among you climb up there and lower vines for the others in the morning. I'll be heading home at this point.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Lucia is silent for the most part, thinking over the options. None of them seemed very good. But alas, this was the situation they found themselves in.

"Yes, I suppose the abandoned fort is the way to go. There's no telling what we'll find but.. seems to be our best chance either way."

After Jaime gives some items to everyone, Lucia offers a slight bow and says, "Thank you, Jaime. I wish there would be some way we could repay you for your kindness and hospitality. However, you do seem content with your life here and I presume want to stay. I fear we may only be in a position to reciprocate after we are long gone."

Though come to think of it, she still had a prestidigitation trick she could use. If there was time. Or perhaps there was a slight chance he was interested in the meager possessions they looted from their dead captor.

Lucia marches with the group wherever she feels the safest. She was not a good fighter by any means.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Jaime seems disarmed for a moment by Lucia's courtesy. Then he shakes himself a little and assumes the same frown that is typical for him.
    I don't need anything as long as I've got my spot in the sun. I've tried it all. I had my good times.

Jaime starts to lower himself down the cliff wall, leaving your group in peace.

Below you, in the valley, you hear the sound of horns somewhere distant. It appears they're not coming for you at this point.

The plumes of smoke have died down.

The most perceptive of you can make out the outline of a small fortress to the southwest, at the riverfork.
    Show
    In the previous map you would now be under the word 'north', more exactly under the letter 'h' in the word.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex climbs up the hill to find another forest. More trees of palm, the leaves of which would easily suit cooking. You also see this wood is full of vines. They grow on other trees and have small white flowers that have a powerful scent.

You surprise a group of howler monkeys that start making their characteristic noise. They climb up the trees and watch as you collect the leaves. Caex has never seen such monkeys before. They look strong and there's many of them but they don't seem aggressive. Their sound seems likely to alert anyone in the region though.

The vines are thick, woody and relatively rigid. It will Caex a while to tie enough of them to make into something climbable. The end result will be strong enough but it will not be rope, you couldn't make coils out of it and transporting large quantities would not be easy.

Caex returns to camp and makes the evening meal. Everyone gets to enjoy a bit of fresh meat along with fruit, nuts and hard bread. There's water enough though it's running short.

The night passes until...
    It's time to wake up refreshed. As luck would have it nobody disturbs you. The guards heard movement of troops twice in the night, once in the north, the second time in the south.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

After breakfast the journey continues. The monkeys do start howling once more when you climb over the cliff and start moving under their trees. You get a nagging feeling that somebody is following you from then on.

The day is not quite as beautiful as the one before. There's a few clouds here and there. If anything, this makes it nicer to walk since it's not quite so hot.

After a couple of hours of trekking Caex manages to catch a fernrunner bird. It's very docile once caught.

You start seeing more spiders, and curiously also small crabs that live in trees. They're red and move in swarms. You capture a few of those too just in case they could taste good.

A little bit later you come to a small river. While on the shore of the river you can see further distant - and you get the first peek at the red mountain column that Jamie referenced. The column is not fully separated from the mountain's side. It must be made of some strong mineral which has allowed it to stand while the mountainside around it has eroded.

After some inspection you find out that one can wade through the river, it's not deep. There's no real trouble.

About 20 minutes of walking later you start hearing noise. People are hacking trees with axes. You continue a little further and you can start seeing the source of the noise. You're still hidden in the woods but you can see an area where the forest has been cleared. There's a tent village of eight tents. The tents are conical in shape, large enough for maybe four people each. They're made of leather.

On your side of the tent village, about forty meters from where you stand you can see two people chained and cuffed to a felled tree. Both of them are wearing the livery of house Ambrosia. One of them is a tortle, and you immediately recognize squire Yaj'dak who is the only tortle any of you have ever seen. The other person, dwarf-sized and extremely hairy, you suspect is probably Sir Rikkan who Yaj'dak has served loyally for years. Though Rikkan is usually never seen without a full helm so it's hard to be sure without hearing his voice.

You can't see any catfolk in the area. Instead there's eight ophidians and four lizardfolk doing with axes and saws felling trees and cutting branches. They are dressed in worn and dirty clothing. They are working to the left of where you stand, about thirty meters distant. You can see six more of the reptilians further distant between the tents, at a fireplace, likely cooking.

Justius reacts:
    Should we just march there and remove their chains?

Spoiler: Yaj'dak &Rikkan
    Show
    You were captured and branded by unnamed assailants. They transported you to a distant place and transferred you to other capturers, catfolk slavers. You were transported in a cart with four others - The castellan of fort Ambrosia and his wife, the Baroness and a young page. These others were removed from the cart before you and taken to places unknown.

You heard the guards wonder several times about why a ratfolk, particular something called a stormrat was hanging out with humans. Many times they wondered if they should take Rikkan to a different place, but they mentioned they had taken money for bringing him to this lumbercamp and so they did.

The catfolk brought you to this camp and chained you to a tree in the middle of a clearing. They told you to watch and learn. Then they simply left. The people in the camp brought you a bit of food and a couple of ophidian women asked a lot of questions from you. In turn they explained to you that this would have to be your home in the future. This was a prison camp and you would soon enough have to join in on the work here. They seemed sympathetic but completely unwilling to help you release yourselves.

The chains that are attached to your legs go under the tree. You don't have handcuffs. You can't lift the tree and you can't slide the chain off because the felled tree still has branches that are in the way. So here you have been, sitting and watching prisoners for the better part of the morning.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Uncle Zain looked at Justius We need to cautious.
    Although those are our men, their captors might be out looking for us. Be prepared.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Atronia Ambrosia
    Human Fighter

"Is anyone confident in their ability to sneak in to see where their captors might be. If it's more catfolk they may be asleep in those tents. If we're lucky this may be as easy as slitting some sleeping throats and taking their supplies and our people. Either way, we can't leave them here." Atronia says, clearly not too fussed about the value of tabaxi or slavekeeper lives.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Chazwick smiles. "Sneaking is what I do." He turns to Caex. "Do you want to come along, or wait here?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sir Rikkan looks about. Checking to see if any guards are watching him and Yaj'dak. If they are not he ask Yaj'dak Can you break free?While Sir Rikkan ask he also attempts to break his chains.

The Orcs are coming, the Orcs are coming.
    The Orcs are here to play.

Sir Rikkan
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2346021

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

The tortle lifts his head, his gaze studying their surroundings I will try He heaves against the chains, trying his best to wrest them from beneath the fallen tree or perhaps exploit some unknown flaw and break them

Show

I assume this won't work, but Yaj'dak would still try. If a roll is needed:

Strength check: (1d20+3)[13] I'm also assuming proficiency isn't a factor
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-11-24 at 12:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Rikkan looks at the tree he's chained to. It's sturdy. It would require an axe or a saw to break it and even then it would take a lot of time. Then he checks the chain. It's hard, too hard to pull apart. Finally he inspects the locks in the cuffs. Even they are made well, too well to break open without tools. The situation seems desperate. Rikkan realizes he needs help to break free.

As Rikkan looks around, he can't see anyone who's actually watching him and Yaj'dak. The woodcutters do every now and then glance at his direction but not much more. They are concentrated on their work.

Meanwhile at the other side of the clearing...

Coatell starts instructing Chazwick on various types of leaves and how to make least noise while walking on them.
    Show
    +2 to stealth roll. She's a homebrew class. By sharing her academic knowledge she can give bonuses to a lot of things. It's a nonmagical effect that's close to how the guidance spell works.

EDIT: Yaj'dak pulls with all his might at the chain but it remains intact. The lumberjacks actually notice the grunting and one of them yells.
    Sorry. The cats smith their metal well. They don't want you loose before you've calmed down.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Lucia tried some of her cantrips to see if they would distract the monkeys earlier.

---

Later, when they come upon the camp and their two captive house members:

"They're clearly slaves and probably wouldn't oppose us if we have a show of force and numbers," Lucia says.

"But they will be bound to tell their masters what happened and where we have gone, or else they will be punished or killed. I'm getting the feeling many of them are used to their lot in their life and would not join us or rebel. I still wouldn't want to kill them..."

"We'd have to be extremely quick, stealthy, and lucky to free them without being noticed. Alternatively, perhaps as a deception, we can leave their camp in a different direction than we intend to travel."