1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Guilty until proven innocent [IC]

Yaj'dak
    Tortle Barbarian
    AC: 17 HP: 17/23
    PP: 14 PIs: 14
    Conditions: -4 Str

Definitely not safe. Some cursed rat nest. I can barely hold my hammer after that. There's fuel and maybe still good food down there, but the rats are unnatural. They seemed aware they couldn't follow us. It's possible they hate the light... His eyes go wide They might swarm the hill come nightfall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    Bowing to the woman. "The Caex must apologize for entering. The Caex thought no one was here."
    She mumbles in a low voice...
    I was quiet. It was my fault so I apologize to you too. It's so difficult to keep things clean here. The river's a pretty distance away and I can't get the water here easily.

She stands and brings you clay cup full of water.

I mean, I try, but there's all sorts around. The caitsith avoid this place and the mraow don't come here anymore but I could run into them in the while getting water. And there's gnolls and fourlegged dogs too.

She pauses to brush a stray hair off Caex's face

So I go in the night when people at least don't see me from too far. Even if they see in the dark, they still don't see as far in the night. But I must remember to be quiet too, because they have ears as well.

She steps back, grabs the cup she was cleaning, then turns back to you

Are... you with the gnolls?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post

Definitely not safe. Some cursed rat nest. I can barely hold my hammer after that. There's fuel and maybe still good food down there, but the rats are unnatural. They seemed aware they couldn't follow us. It's possible they hate the light... His eyes go wide They might swarm the hill come nightfall.
    Maria answers
    Rats are indeed hateful creatures. Might as well come straight from the hells for all the work they do on stores. They are actually most active in twilight, not dark.

Rodrik goes
    Rats, eh? With the forge here we're going to need a lot of that fuel.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

When Yad'jak warns the group that they could be hip deep in rats when the sun goes down, Chazwick starts swearing in a mixture of Common, Terran, and Dwarvish. He calms down after a few sentences and turns to address the group as a whole. "It's either run like a dwarven god offered us a bargain, or gamble that fire scares them off. Think there's enough daylight left for the former, if we grab Caex right now?"

How much daylight is left, by now?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-12-06 at 05:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whiteflash View Post
    How much daylight is left, by now?
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A little under 3 hours.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Lucia looks quite shakened from the encounter and extremely weak as well.

"I.. I don't know..." Is all she can stammer about leaving.

"Wait. Let's just close the cellar door firmly again and keep the bolt locked. That should keep them out, right?"

Lucia will find someplace to sit down and rest. Any place not far from the others will do. She doesn't plan to be very active anymore today, but she can still talk. Between the arrow wound and the bites of the shadow rats, she is feeling pretty terrible.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    She's at 2 HP.

Also Caex is talking to someone that lives here? So it's probably safe??
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-12-06 at 10:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

"We should do that, but I'm not going to feel safe unless we have a fire going too."

Chazwick pauses. "Why don't we light something on fire and toss it in after them? See if that fire scares them?"

Show
    The someone Caex is talking to is probably safe. We can't assume that means we are. For all we know she could be specifically warded against the rats, or their conjurer could have instructed them to ignore her specifically... or she could have conjured them.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-12-06 at 10:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Lucia manages a grim smile and says, "You're welcome to try..."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex
    Monk, Way of the Psion
    HP: 19/19, AC: 18
    After accepting the water from the woman with a thanks Caex hesitates unsure of how much she should tell this person. "With gnolls? No, the Caex with humans."
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    "With gnolls? No, the Caex with humans."
    She nods.
    Humans aren't so bad, eh? Gnolls are such messy creatures. Causing ruckus and breaking things. And I think they stole my cat. Poor thing. What did they do to you?

She points at the back of the house.
    Instead they leave me with... whatever it is. Been there a fortnight. Nasty thing, tries to scratch you if you get near. As if the house didn't have enough trouble.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Chazwick looks around for any spare cloth or dry plant matter. "Glad to hear it. So we need something to light on fire, and something to light it with. Lucia, Zain, can either of you conjure a light spark?"

"Actually, who had the firemaking kit again? Was that Maria, or Caex?"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

If Chazwick can find something flammable, Lucia will try to light it on fire with her magic. Also, Lucia deigned to take the fire making kit along, so either she has it or it's somewhere around here...

"Just try not to set the whole place on fire, alright?"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex
    Monk, Way of the Psion
    "Gnolls not problem for the Caex." Looking towards the back of the house "What thing?"
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman says
    I don't know what it is but I'll show you.

She steps around Caex making an effort not to touch her and moves into the corridor. There she says.

Mind the birds. They don't like loud noises. The gnolls drove them away but they came back when the gnolls left.

She moves deeper into the house through the open doorway that Caex saw at the end of the corridor.

Moving past the empty doorway on the right, Caex looks in. Caex sees a room that's completely empty except for a piece of rope that's tied together to form a small loop.

When Caex moves into the next room, where the woman went, Caex comes into a large room that takes about a third of the total area of the building. This room has two doors that go deeper into the backmost areas of the house and one door that goes back towards the exit on the left side. Caex surmises that this would lead to the same room as the door to the left from the original small corridor.

The large room has a stairway in it that goes up. The opening lets in sunlight and this room has relatively good light. The stairs are filled with pots and buckets and the area around them has water damage.

At the opposite side of the stairs, furthest away from the light a number of birds the size pineapples are hanging upside down from the rafters. They've got their heads tucked in under their wings but Caex can see they have narrow long beaks. There's about a dozen of them all stuck together in a colony.

The room itself has partially broken shelves and armsracks on all walls. There's a neatly set up pile of wood from broken furniture in one corner. The floor of the room is otherwise empty and brushed relatively clean.

The woman gestures at the backmost door.
    That's where they left their stuff and that beast. If you want to see, you can peek. Don't open it completely though or you'll let it out. For the month that the gnolls were here they took all the other rooms. Me and the husband just had the kitchen.
    She seems slightly bitter when saying the last part.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

The others hear that a conversation was on-going in the building.

Who's Caex talking to?

Rodrik asks.

Coatell meanwhile moves to examine the cairn.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's a good question. She doesn't seem to have been eaten by rats, and neither does her conversational partner. Maybe she already knows how to get around them?"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Justius says
    I wouldn't mind just burning this place up with all the rats.

Rodrik answers
    What? We're trying to fix this forge for Atronia. We're supposed to use this place, not burn it.

Justius continues
    Well go check that cellar and see if you want to shack up with those things.

Rodrik grumbles
    I need to dig this up first
    And points at the anvil.

Maria goes and ties the llama to the remains of a wooden post that's sticking out of the ground.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

"Fix the forge? I'd thought we didn't want that kind of heat on us yet."

"I still want to take some of the supplies here, so I don't want to burn it. My plan with the fire was just to see if the rats would avoid the firelight. But... well, we can talk about that later. I'm heading to check on Caex."

He moves to do just that.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-12-08 at 05:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

"There seem to be plenty of supplies here. Much wood and grain in the cellar. I think the grain may be just fine. Aside from the dead rats on the floor."

"I think it would be worthwhile to stay here a while. I think some of us could use the time to recover. If only there was a way to obscure the smoke of a forge..." Lucia muses.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex
    Monk, Way of the Psion
    Caex finds it rather odd that the woman does not mention what it is in the other room.

Standing in the doorway leading out and being sure to keep the woman from being behind her Caex tries to use mage hand to open the door a little bit to peak inside ready to bolt out of the building.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Atronia Ambrosia
    Human Fighter
    AC: 12 HP: 19/22
    PP: 11 PIv: 9 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --

"We need proper arms and armor if we're going to survive in this land Chazwick. Especially since we're already being hunted by those whose preferred tactic is ambushes. And from what we've been told we won't have an easy time finding them or being able to make them anywhere else." Atronia replies. Given that she can't really help with lighting fires or talking to old ladies, she begins to go over how much supplies for smithing they have and what they've got that can be used for tools.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex opens the door handle with her mind and pulls the door out just a smidgen. As Chazwick and Justius come to the room.

It's quite dark on the other side but Caex is not bothered by the dark. The opening in the door is narrow but she can make out that there's a chest at the opposing corner of the room and a table on which there's several amphoras and rolled up item that looks like a mat. There's a couple of chairs.

There's movement inside. Some huffin, grunting thing is moving on the floor and it's claws are scraping the floor with every movement.

The woman tries to rush to the door to close it but the thing on the other side is faster. It jumps onto the door with it's body weight and the door opens.

On the floor is a creature that looks like a large pangolin. It looks tired and famished. It seems desperate.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Chazwick tries to put himself between it and the door leading outside. "Hey little guy."

He turns to the seemingly-old woman. "How often do you feed him?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-12-09 at 11:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

The pangolin claws at the woman's shin. The woman shrieks, disengages and moves behind Chazwick
    Feed him? I avoid him.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Caex
    Monk, Way of the Psion

Looking over the critter Caex considers how she might go about cooking it.

Then when it attacks she strikes back.

Show
    Hit it with a staff then use telekinesis to try to push it back into the room it was in.
    Attack: (1d20+4)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]
    Psionic die: (1d6)[2]

As a bonus action, you can try to telekinetically shove one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. When you do so, roll your Psionic Talent die, and the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 13) or be moved toward you or away from you a number of feet equal to 5 times the number you rolled. A creature can willingly fail this save.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite the creature's natural armor and relatively good dexterity, Caex gives the creature a whack with her staff.
    The preseumed pangolin gives a yelp and winces at the hit.
    Then suddenly the creatures flies backward into the room from which it came.

After which Justius rushes in and closes the door.
    There's renewed scraping at the other side and the creature bumps against the door a few times before giving up.

The woman asks
    What did yo do? How did you do that?

There's some movement by the colony of bloodsucker-owls at the ceiling corner but they settle for now.

Justius asks
    Nice building you've got here. Strixes in the ceiling, rabid pangolins and rats in the cellar. Is there something else here that'll attack us?

The woman answers
    It wasn't that bad. The gnolls messed everything up. That pangodingolingo-thing is theirs and they took my cat. The cat took care of the rats and there was no trouble before that. Why do they let those gnolls just roam around? This used to be a nice place. This should be a nice place. But you're better people than the gnolls, right? You're not letting in bloodthirsty beasts?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Atronia Ambrosia
    Human Fighter
    AC: 12 HP: 19/22
    PP: 11 PIv: 9 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --

"Well it's not especially bloodthirsty, but we do have this llama." Atronia comments a bit sardonically.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman looks deflated and stares into emptiness for a moment.
    More of you? I need to go put a fire on. Somebody will want something heated.

She scampers into the kitchen.

Justius goes and opens the door to the room on the left from the entrance.
    Anyone looking in will see a larger room with piles of straws on the floor. The piles are a little used but better than any of you have slept on for two weeks. There's a definite smell of gnoll in the room. Somebody has clearly cleaned the room after it's been used last. The straws have been straightened and if there was clutter on the floors it's been removed.

Besides the straw there's a bedpan, a bucket and a single cabinet that upon inspection, is empty.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know if it helps, but we found a dead gnoll on the way in. Even if they come back, there'll be one less."

"So, about the pangolin... I get why you tried to avoid it,"
    he says, gesturing to her ankle. "But, is there anything for it to eat in there? If not then the merciful thing would be to either let it out in the woods, give it something to eat... or at least put the poor thing down before it can starve to death."
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2020-12-10 at 12:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

The gnolls left it some food but it's probably gone now. The husband tried to let it go but it didn't leave. The gnolls, they've taught it or something.

She triest to strike flame with a tinderbox and eventually succeeds.

When Chazwick follows the woman into the kitchen to have this conversation, he has a great difficulty in finding the scratch in the woman's leg. The light's dim, but?

Could you do it? Let it out of it's misery?
    The woman turns to Chazwick with a hope in her eyes.