New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default This popular gameshow host just lost his battle with pancreatic cancer.

Who is Alex Trebek?

Sadly, Alex passed this morning after battling stage 4 pancreatic cancer. One of the few gameshow hosts I actually liked.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: This popular gameshow host just lost his battle with pancreatic cancer.

RIP Alex Trebek.

With his passing coming so soon after Sean Connery's, I really think Saturday Night Live needs to run one last Celebrity Jeopardy sketch in both of their memories.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: This popular gameshow host just lost his battle with pancreatic cancer.

Rest in Peace Mr. Trebek.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #4

They have enough episodes recorded to get us almost through the year. The last one will be aired on Christmas, which is one heck of a present.

Good-bye, Alex. You didn't intend it, but you probably taught me more than I learned in school on any subject you'd care to name.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yes is very sad. I heard that Ken Jennings is going to take his place as the new host of Jeopardy. He consider the Mewtwo of Jeopardy contestants.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

He became famous from Jeopardy, but I will always remember him as the host of High Rollers. I preferred the original version over the revamp, but the revamp was alright. He also hosted Concentration for a time. That was a fun show too.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I certainly hope that Ken Jennings does not replace Alex, he would be a bad choice. I know he's managed to weasel his way into an Executive Producer role, but I feel he would be snobbish towards contestants, seeing them as pretenders to his titles, and would probably scoff at wrong answers.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    I certainly hope that Ken Jennings does not replace Alex, he would be a bad choice. I know he's managed to weasel his way into an Executive Producer role, but I feel he would be snobbish towards contestants, seeing them as pretenders to his titles, and would probably scoff at wrong answers.
    I vaguely remember a bit (most likely from a sketch show or someone's standup routine) where a contestant complained about Trebek having a smug tone when nobody got a question right and he shared the correct response, and that his cockiness was unjustified because he had all the answers on a card. The humor of the bit was that no reasonable person actually saw Trebek that way.

Ken Jennings has that bit of affable arrogance that made him a very entertaining contestant and pretty popular on social media, but could definitely become grating as the host. One great thing about Trebek was that he was self-effacing to the point that he could take the occasional light jab at a contestant, and it was never seen as mean-spirited or some attempt to bolster his own image in front of the audience. With Jennings, no matter how he changes his demeanor or cultivates his on-screen host persona, everyone will always view him through the lens of the public image he's had up until now. And that's assuming Jennings would even see the need to change anything if he were offered the role.

9. - Top - End - #9

They're going to rotating guest hosts, probably to create a buffer between Trebek and whoever succeeds him. Jennings is just the first.