New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Smart glasses?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Smart glasses?

Anyone conversant on smart glasses?

My wife and I are trying to find an affordable set that can livestream as well as record video to an external device (so video is not limited to onboard memory restrictions) via wireless/internet connections.

I cannot find any solid info on the snapchat spectacles or, frankly, any other current smart glasses about these two specific needs. I'd love to know if this is even possible to find on the market today for less than $400, and if so, where to find it. Amazon has lots of camera glasses, but none that can livestream or send recordings elsewhere, at least not that I can find.

Any suggestions?
    Similes are like metaphors.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Smart glasses?

Yes, it's possible.

What you're effectively asking for is a bluetooth camera / microphone device.

Since Android and iOS both have apps that allow you to use bluetooth devices to stream video and audio, it's just a matter of choosing the company.

The most basic (read, cheapest) versions have no onboard memory, so they naturally rely on the iPhone / Android device they're paired with.

Vue Glasses is about as baseline as you can get in the market.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Looked at Vue glasses and as far as I can tell, they are audio glasses, not video ones. I've searched bluetooth camera glasses and all I find are the ones with 32GB onboard memory that runs out in about an hour. None of the ones I see have that bluetooth storage and livestream capabilities I need. Maybe my Google-Fu is weak, but I can't imagine it would be this hard to find something that fits those requirements if it was actually on the market.

Oh, we need NON-sunglasses - she is doing indoor work, not outdoor.

Anyhoo, I suspect it's just not available in the $50-400 range right now, though I would be delighted to be proven wrong.
    Similes are like metaphors.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Does it absolutely have to be wireless?

There should be a bunch of cheap camera glasses that can double as USB webcams.
    (I have a pair that was only about 40 bucks on Amazon - it's listed as 1080p, but that's only true when recording to internal storage, which is tiny; also I don't trust the battery to last any time at all. As a webcam it's limited to 720p/30fps.)