New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default bcool999's Ironfang Invasion

The Ironfang Invasion

Name [Player Name] Color Race [Ethnicity] (Gender ID) AL Side 1 Side 2
    Caliban Grohsk [SwordChucks] Blue Human [Varisian] (m) CG Shroud Marksman Monk of the Silver Fist
    Beryl Celsian [digiman619] Golden Rod Oread [Pass for Dwarf] (m) LN Medic [Sanguinist] Warpriest
    Walter [meemaas] Teal Human [Chelaxian] (m) N Crossblooded Sorcerer Wilder
    Perwialen Fuilfeirge [Silphael] Dark Orange Aasimar [Angelblooded] (a) CG Daevic Surging Muse Wilder
    Adowyn [lostsole31] Green Human [Taldane] (f) NG Hunter Ordained Hawkguard Warder
    Leyrn, Adowyn's Wolf [NPC] Woof Wolf [Doggo] (m) N Animal Companion Good Boy

Midnight, Taproot Inn, Phaendar
    11th Gozran 4717 AR

Phaendar’s Market Festival draws a crowd from all over Nirmathas, many solely to hear Aubrin the Green—the retired Chernasardo Ranger-turned-Caydenite cleric—recount bawdy tales of adventure from her youth. Outside, the celebration continues, as raucous shouts carry on the night air. Warmed by the firelight after a long day, any levity comes as a welcome reward to the rough, earthy souls of this riverside trade town. Whether you are a traveler looking for a place to stay the night or a local grabbing a drink at 'The Root,' it is at the Taproot Inn that you find yourselves as the day draws to a close.
    “So there I am, thinking, when will I ever be able to talk to a bear again? So before the grizzly can stand back up, I turn to it and say, ‘All I need is the honey. You can keep the bees!’” The room erupts into laughter as Aubrin finishes her winding story and takes another draught from her tankard. “But it’s fine now. All’s good. She named a cub after me. Someday I’m going to have to check in on little Ow Oh Gods That’s Too Many Bees.”
    Crowd members share their own boasts and jokes, but eventually someone tops off Aubrin’s tankard and pushes her back into the center of the room.
    “All right, all right! Don’t shove,” she slurs a bit. “Okay, Cayden strike me down if this isn’t true—“
    The front door explodes into flinders. A cry of agony pierces the chaos. Aubrin lies on the floor, gasping and clutching at the blood gushing from a wound in her chest. A ballista bolt still quivers in the wall behind her.
    Three hobgoblins in military dress stand beyond the shattered door, blades drawn. Behind them, lit by the glow of burning homes, dozens—perhaps hundreds—of hobgoblin soldiers march the street. Phaendar burns, shouts of celebration now replaced by the panicked screams of the frightened and dying. Behind them, above the flames and humble rooftops, rises a tower of black stone.

Combat Starts
    SR1T3

The trio of hobs begin threatening the shocked villagers, effectively cowing them.

Beryl, your keen martial instincts pull you into battle readiness before the ballista bolt even fires through the door.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Map
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: bcool999's Ironfang Invasion

Beryl quickly moves into position. He had just gotten his drink when these fools burst in. One way or the other, he wasn't going to get to enjoy his drink until they were dealt with, so he ran forward and just before reaching the closest of these and slamming his knee into them.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Partial charge vs the closest one.
    (1d20+8)[11] (including the charging bonus)
    (1d6+9)[14]
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

R1T23

Shortly after the savage ending of the celebrations by the hobgoblin attack, a dwarf by the bar charges at one of the invading hobgoblins, but the hob easily sidesteps the knee strike.

Adowyn, what do you do?

Spoiler: Maps
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

"Orcs from Belkzen!" Adowyn calls out as she knocks the table over to give her cover and create and obstacle. "Everyone in the bar not an orc, get behind tables, and let those of us up for battle through to them! To me, defenders!"

She readies for battle, shooting at the lead orc warrior with a little help from Erastil, looking to see if Aubrin is helped at all as she does so. She then says, "Lelywn, attack!" as she points to the orc war party.
    Spoiler: Adowyn's Crunch
    Show
    MA: knock over table so that it is a tall cover-barrier between me and orcs.
    FA: Vocals.
    SwA: Enter silver crane waltz. (sheet values updated)
    SA: Use enduring crane strike against lead "orc." Attack (1d20+7)[24] (incl PBS), damage (1d8+1)[8]
    * If target hit, then Aubrin is healed (1d6+3)[7] hit points.

Her aegis is now set up, so please put a 10' aura around her token (any color you prefer), and all allied creatures in a square covered by at least half of that gets a +1 morale bonus to AC and Will saves.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-11-09 at 11:03 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

R1T18

"Orcs from Belkzen!" Adowyn calls out as she knocks the table over to give her cover and create and obstacle. "Everyone in the bar not an orc, get behind tables, and let those of us up for battle through to them! To me, defenders!"

She readies for battle, shooting at the lead orc warrior (Green) and hitting him for 8 Piercing with a little help from Erastil, looking over to see Aubrin healed for 7 Positive. She then says, "Leryn, attack!" as she points to the orc war party.

IL1 (Red) steps forward from behind his attacked allies, sending a slash from his blade at Beryl which goes wide of the dwarf.

Caliban, battle has been joined, what do you do?

Show
    Last edited by bcool999; 2020-11-10 at 12:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban leaps from his seat, slides his bow into his hand, and nocks an arrow in almost the same motion. He takes careful aim and fires as soon as there's even the smallest path to the red invader's chest.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show
    Move action: Draw longbow.
    Swift action: Eye of the Needle (I ignore the penalty for firing into melee
    and one instance of soft cover, so the maneuver is essentially a +4 to hit).
    Standard action: Attack hobgob red.

Longbow: (1d20+8)[27], (1d8)[1]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

R1T14

Caliban leaps from his seat, slides his bow into his hand, and nocks an arrow in almost the same motion. He takes careful aim and fires as soon as there's even the smallest path to the red invader's chest. The arrow strikes true, but barely manages to pierce the enemies armor for 1 Piercing.

Perwialen, what do you do?

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

As the door shatters, Perwialen rushes toward the new arrivants, advancing as if breaking through veils of memories while grabbing their scythe, an expression of pure, joyful, wrath on their face, as the light coming from outside reflects in their eyes.

"Too late for regrets !"

Show
    So :
    Free action : Enter Rage
    Swift action : Manifest Mind palace with Wild Surge. Everyone in 15 feet (so everyone) but me gets +1 to damage until the end of your next turn, and I get +1 to attack until my next turn.
    Enervation - (1d100)[3]
    Mind Palace Bonus - (1d4)[1]
    Move action : Go to the D1 marked square
    Standard action : Attack on Red, with Power Attack.
    Attack - (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage - (2d6+12)[16]
    (Current AC, 16)
    Edit : Psionic Enervation happens, so I lose 1 hp, but nothing else changes.
    Last edited by silphael; 2020-11-10 at 01:43 PM.
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

R1T9

As the door shatters, Perwialen rushes toward the new arrivals, advancing as if breaking through veils of memories while grabbing their scythe, an expression of pure, joyful, wrath on their face, as the light coming from outside reflects in their eyes.

"Too late for regrets!"

The slash of the scythe opens a ruinous gash on Red for 16 Slashing, leaving the creature barely conscious.

Blue lets loose a reckless slash at Beryl which also fails to connect.

Aubrin shakily staggers to her feet still holding her wound which was patched enough by Adowyn's healing to stop bleeding. She lurches unsteadily towards the bar to avoid the brawl.

Leryn (who before the kerfuffle was basking in the warmth of the fireplace) snaps up finally and moves to fulfill Adowyn's command. He prowls forward with a snarl and snaps at green, but the creature stymies the attack with it's shield.

Green retaliates against Leryn, bringing it's blade to bear against the beast for 5 Slashing.

Walter, What do you do?

Show
    tl;dr for the above.
    Perwialen's aura is marked in orange on the map. +1 insight to damage (I will add it, just roll your things normally, but not if you already have an insight bonus to damage rolls.)
    Blue misses.
    Aubrin stands and 5ft steps
    Leryn misses his bite attack.
    Green hits Leryn for 5.
    It is currently Walter's turn.

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Walter hurries up till he's right next to Adowyn, and holds out his hand as he calls out an arcane chant. Almost immediately, a spray of bright and blinding colors covers the battlefield, encompassing all the enemies and the animal who had joined the fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move till I'm 5 foot to the right of Adowyn, and cast Color Spray. The cone can be angled such that all three of the enemies and Leryn are all caught in it, and must make a Will Save DC 16 or suffer a series of increasingly debilitating conditions.

2 or less HD will be Unconscious, Blinded, and Stunned for (2d4)[3] rounds, then Blinded and Stunned for (1d4)[2] rounds, and finally Stunned for 1 round

If they are somehow 3 or 4 HD, they will be Blinded and Stunned for (1d4)[4] rounds, and then Stunned for 1 round.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

R1T3

Walter hurries up till he's right next to Adowyn, and holds out his hand as he calls out an arcane chant. Almost immediately, a spray of bright and blinding colors covers the battlefield, encompassing all the enemies and the animal who had joined the fight.

The blinding lights and colors cause the three foes to roll their eyes into the back of their skulls and drop unconscious, but the wolf merely yelps in distress and then growls at Walter.

Beryl, your foes lie helpless before you, What do you do?

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

[Out-of-Turn Vocals ..... ] "They dead?" calls out Adowyn, who is looking towards any others that might come in.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Beryl irritatedly smashes the one closest to him with an open palm. He almost seems upset that they would dare to be disabled before he was finished with them. He then walked back to his table and raised his beer to his lips.
    Show
    SA: Attack.
    (1d20+6)[8] (1d6+9)[12]
    MA, head back to my table and start to take a drink. (I don't know if I need another move action or not, but maybe shenanigans break his cup, who can say?)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

R2T23

"They dead?" calls out Adowyn, who is looking towards any others that might come in.

Meanwhile, Beryl irritably smashes the one closest to him with an open palm. This palm lands on Blue for 13 Bludgeoning and fills Beryl's blood pool for 4 Blood. He almost seems upset that they would dare to be disabled before he was finished with them. He then walked back to his table and raised his beer to his lips.

Adowyn, no one has answered you query but the dwarf smacked an 'orc' and walked off. What do you do?

(map moved to map channel on discord)

15. - Top - End - #15

Taking her club out as she moves to the door, she clobbers the rear orc in the head while nodding to Leryn to savage the one he is near.
    Spoiler
    Show
    MA: Move to 1 square west of blue while drawing club.
    SA: Strike downed orc with club with a Risky Strike (1d20+2)[17], damage (1d6+4)[10].

She calls out, "Everyone, it looks like your town is under attack. Proprietor! Identify yourself, please. Aubrin, is there a place we can guide people around here? Everyone, grab anything not bolted down that might be of use .... food, drink, material for clothing and shelter."
    Show
    I have much more to say, but that does me for a round and then some.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

R2T18

Taking her club out as she moves to the door, she clobbers the rear orc in the head for 11 Bludgeoning, leaving the Hob orc dying but not yet dead, while nodding to Leryn to savage the one he is near.

She calls out, "Everyone, it looks like your town is under attack. Proprietor! Identify yourself, please. Aubrin, is there a place we can guide people around here? Everyone, grab anything not bolted down that might be of use .... food, drink, material for clothing and shelter."

Caliban, what do you do?

Perwialen on deck, feel free to post (actions will happen after Caliban's)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Caliban nods at the newcomer's suggestion. He shoulders his bow and hops over the bar to search for materials.

"It might be best to leave through the backdoor. Aubrin, are you going to make it?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Letting go of their rage, Perwialen tries to coup-de-grace one of the hobgobelins.

Show
    Free action : End Rage (no turn used, as I Wild Surged last turn)
    5 foot step to go close to green.
    Full round action, Coup de grace.
    Damage - (8d6+28)[64]
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Beryl finished his beer in one long swig. By the time he finished, swore in Dwarven at this announcement. he sighed, pulled out his mostly empty pack. "Goddamn it, I just wanted to get a drink. Okay, how much of an attack are we taking about? Is it a raid or is it an army?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Combat Ends

Aubrin answers Caliban first before speaking to the room at large, "It will take more than that to put me down. Not too much more mind you, but still... It..." Aubrin pauses to cough up some congealed blood, "It sounds like a whole army out there. How did they fall on us without being seen? The plains surrounding town are so flat you could spot an elk two days off much less a bloody army! We can't face them all like honest fools. The lady with a bow is right, we need to gather what we can and scarper off into the Fangwood. We can hide there. Probably best to remove the bridge behind us, it's the only good crossing for miles. Should buy us some time. Jet's in the back I think. She's the proprietress, said she was going to break open another keg."

Assuming you kill off the last creature and search them, the party finds several things of use which makes you believe that looting of the town has already begun. The insignia on their shoulders also might catch your eye.

Spoiler: Knowledge History or Local DC 16
    Show
    The insignia is an emblem of the Ironfang Legion a mercenary army responsible for the Ramsgate Massacre two years ago, but absent from the battlefield ever since.

Adowyn, from your position near the door, you can tell that some of the town has already been put to the torch, and rising in the market square is an ominous black tower that was assuredly not there this morning.

What does the party do?

21. - Top - End - #21

The "lady" with a bow says, "Definitely a full-scale raid. Magic black tower appeared out of nowhere, so they are heaving heavy magics. Leryn, stay," she says as she goes to the back calling for this "Jet" person.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-11-12 at 02:55 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's the same insignia of the Ironfang Legion, the mercs that did the Ramsgate Massacre. They've been gona a couple years, so I guess this is their big comeback."

If there's anything of interest behind the bar, Caliban scoops it up. Otherwise, he keeps his bow ready and sets up overwatch on the front door.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Beryl curses in Dwarven for a bit and begins to put some supplies into his back when he looks up and finally notices how injured Aubrin is. He takes a look at his wound before placing his hand on it. He then channels a bit of his stored vitality into him. "Be more careful next time." he says, and then goes back to his preparations.

Show
    I use Medic's training to determine Aubrin's HP. If he's at 3 or less HP, I spend 2 blood points to heal him. Otherwise I only spend 1.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-11-12 at 12:28 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Caliban is taking overwatch of the front of the Inn.

Adowyn moves to go to the back rooms. Does anyone join her?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Walter will quickly claim the wand that one of the defeated was carrying, and store it in his belt pouch for a later use. Walter will then follow after Adowyn. "I'll join you in securing our exit. My spell won't kill them, but it will disable the weak willed like before, allowing you and the others to finish them off."

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler: Adowyn >>> (Walter), include GM
    Show
    As Adowyn now has a shadow, she asks him (not slowing down going to back to find this "Jet") "How often can you do it, spell-man? Are you limited?"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Perwialen also takes the direction of the back room hoping for a side exit, their voice rasped with barely contained anger.

"And I thought I've had my share. Will we have to break through their lines, or be able to circumvent it ?"

28. - Top - End - #28

"We who can do, must now protect," says Adowyn ruefully to them, "so we must circumvent where possible."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Walter. I can do that another four times. After that, I am limited to throwing lightning at my foes."

30. - Top - End - #30

"Limited .... to throwing lightning." She smirks. "Well, nobody's perfect, Walter. But I'm sure you'll muddle through .... somehow."
    Show