New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 29/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

The Augury:

Senna looks up after the ritual has ended. Which priest do you speak of, Grepha? That omen bodes ill, and I want to know more about your connections now. I feel you are bound to our group now, devil. As thus I command you to reveal this, for it benefits you if your protectors know of future dangers. The cleric was annoyed and tried her person on an more authorative level. You are the weakest link now, Grepha. Would you risk your master for a bit of secrecy?

The desecrated battlefield:
    The afternoon was long and without conflict, but not without any fun and interesting distractions. One after another, Senna revealed the magical properties of the leader's gear, being in awe how much this should have cost, and how glad she was that Tenhammer fell early. Interspersed by probable new flight attempts by her brother, Senna was between content and happy to be here.

The charred remains of the forest and corpses were an issue, but Caelyn was dealing with it. She assumed her druidic rites would double as some sort of burial rights, but even if they didn't; neither the Fist nor the slaves lost any members, and she was not sure they deserved a burial. The oppressive atmosphere put a damper on Senna's mood, which could have been actually positive. She was glad these men were dead, but she tried to calm her happiness.

This one's for Sam. It gives you a dragon's breath and the ability to convert it to a force blow. Now what you actually need is a bit of training. These noodly arms and that winning smile isn't gonna convince people you're a proper dragon anyhow. the cleric says with a wide grin. Additionally we have a bow with a very high range, a full plate that punishes attackers and a maul that shatters the earth beneath its victim. Vala, do you care for the full plate at least? You took much punishment and lived, but I don't want the enemies to skewer you because our martial skills are subpar. Granted you were trained to move in such cumbersome gear.

I for myself would like to take this half-plate. It is more cumbersome, but its magic protects it from poor iron quality, and it seems skilled enemies target me once I have a blessing of Deneir up.

Last edited by Spore; 2021-07-17 at 03:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

"Bulky stuff's not really my thing, so I'll leave it for now. Maybe we can sell it on for some coin at some point? I don't know why the wizard at High Hedge would want armour but I try not to question wizards, they're a mind unto their own. They'll find a use for it though, I'm sure." It's a pretty flat denial of the plate - not just because it would ruin her aesthetic, but also she doesn't actually have any experience wearing it. What protection it might offer wouldn't serve her any if she can't fight in it properly.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 47/47
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

Kneeling in the sparse fresh grass, Caelyn, bordering on starvation and dehydration, uses the last of her strength to plant the staff into the soil next to where she planted the dryad seed, unsure of what blessing she is about to be bestowed. No matter what comes of this, and no matter how dark her path becomes, her soul once again turns towards new growth, rebirth, and the power of life. She only prayed that it would always be so. She gritted her teeth and twisted the staff deeper into the soil so it would stand without aid, then released the broken wood, nearly slumping face first to the ground in her exhaustion.
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Warlock
    AC: 12 HP: 48/48 | AC: 13 HP: 17/17
    PP: 10|13 PIv: 15|12 PIs: 11|13
    Comprehend Languages (1 hr) | --

The Augury

In her raven form, the imp's beady black eyes are difficult to read as she stares at the dripping candles. "There is no priest. Or, more accurately, there may or may not be a priest. An Augury reads an intended course of action. I figured it would work as long as the hypothetical event is not impossible." She clams up a little after that. "Command me, hm? Would you like to use your question to force me to answer fully and truthfully my intentions?" she asks, probing a little. "Or would you rather ask me what I know of your parentage?"

"Regardless, with what I know, this suggests two things to me: that Waukeen wants to see your bloodline ended, and that Deneir likely does not agree with Waukeen - else his agents of Augury would not warn us. But this is only one interpretation."

The Burned Forest

"Of course I'll wait for you," Sam reassures Caelyn, taking a seat on a burned stump that promptly disintegrates beneath him, dropping him to the ground in a cloud of soot that causes him to cough a bit, then sneeze. He slowly uses pretidigitation to clean the black smeared powder off of his clothes, but he'll need a bath even more now.

At least the smell of soot covers up the smell of days in the wilds, a little. Not looking perturbed by the blunder, he at first watches Caelyn, then gets bored and starts practicing his flight skills. Or rather, his lack thereof.

"You're flapping your wings forward. You're not going to get any lift. Raise them up, gather the air, then shove it down. Like so," Grepha attempts to instruct him on properly flying - their wings are similar, if very different in size. Over time he starts to show improvement, able to clumsily flap about ten feet at a time.

Once the items are identified, Sam predictably chooses to wear the Heart of the Platinum Lord. "Who do I need to convince? I am a proper dragon," sliding the amulet onto his chest, he looks down at it, pleased. "Grepha, have you considered converting to the worship of Bahamut? I find myself in possession of an extra holy symbol," he jokingly holds up his old silver pendant, the Shield of Bahamut hanging from it.

Grepha eyes the amulet and laughs, once. "If that thing wasn't going to give me sores all over, I might take you up on that just to see how many people it ticks off."

After Caelyn's ritual, he gets up, and walks over to her side. Squatting down to help her up after she plants the staff in the ground, he offers her his waterskin. "That was pretty badass. Look at the little baby forest you grew," he looks around at the newly sprouted plant growth in approval.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

The Augury:
    Deneir's guidance is knowledge with purpose. Oghma would show you the facts and not color them, but Deneir knows mortals need and want guidance. Waukeen would not hesitate to sell a weapon to a bandit, and a shield to his victims. She is no arbiter of morality, she is commerce incarnate. Senna responds. Waukeen would not hunt us, but she would do things that hurt us when there is a bargain to be gained. And remember, war is good for the economy. A thing this Iron Throne probably thrives on.

I doubt Waukeen deals with them personally, as we have seen evidence of Cyric's disciples being involved. Usually long-term prosperity outweighs the short-term gains of war and warfare.
    Senna shrugs. I should collect more durable tools for rituals like these in the future. I would like to know if my path is guided by Deneir, or if he just accepts me as his vessel reluctantly.

Setting up camp was Senna's least favorite thing, but she managed to squeeze in a bit of study amidst the comfortable chill of a silent battlefield. Her set of bells apparently worked on necromancies, so this might be the best place to find out more about them too!

Spoiler
    Show
    Today's Arcana Roll (1d20+7)[12] + Guidance (1d4)[2]

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

The Augury

Caelyn remains silent at the speculation. She didn't know enough about the gods to guess their motives and their subtleties, but she did know that this was a bad omen.

The Burned Forest

Caelee smiles at Sam while taking his waterskin. She drinks heartily, streams of water running down her cheeks by the time she is done. Wiping at her face, she looks around at the new growth and grins wider. It is pretty bad ass. But I'm not done. Every year I'm going to return here and do this ritual, until the whole forest is restored. One day, a long time from now, this forest will be whole again. She pats Sam on the back, a bit awkwardly due to his new wings, and shakily stands up.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-07-20 at 11:31 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #727

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

The Augury

Scoffing, the raven looks strangely offended. "Waukeen's virtues are fair trade and the use of wealth to improve civilization. Even in her darker elements, it is Waukeen's teaching that all deals should be fair, that all parties involved in the transaction should be satisfied. Not the trapped dealings of devils."

Grepha looks away, making a low sound that might be her bird throat's attempt to emulate a growl. "Maybe fear of what your kin may become outweighs that code," the words don't seem to be meant for them, as she mutters to herself. Her voice perks up again, "Regardless, this has given me some clarity. I will fulfill my end of the deal. When you decide on a question, I will answer without reservation."

The Burned Forest

When she starts to chug her, Sam reminds her, "Slowly, Cae, slowly. Gorion used to say you're not supposed to drink too much too fast." The actual reasons were lost on him, but if Gorion said so it's probably try.

Helping her up, Sam smiles and takes back the empty waterskin. Helping her back over to where they'd made camp nearby, he sits her back down. "Can we get her something easy to eat?" he asks Vala.

"And any progress with the magic bells, Senna?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-07-20 at 12:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Vala, for her part, has spent most of the day humming quietly to herself as she tends to patches in her ever-more-worn through clothing and making a light dinner. Notably she skips on any freshly cooked food, perhaps quietly acknowledging that this place had seen enough fire for the moment. Instead, it's a modest offering of fruit jams with some almost-stale bread. It might still be useful in a soup or stew, but you can't deny that it's a bit tough on the cheeks and teeth. Ralaar sits beside Rosc Roche, apparently kin in so much as they're used to not doing much of anything and happy to stare at the sky or trees or grass without acting. When she serves up the food requested, she quietly whispers, "I could do with getting some supplies and you still need to decide what to do with him," she jerks her head back to Ralaar. She's put the entire decision on your group, rather than voicing her own opinion. A common thread at this point for her. The looks in her eyes says she's almost always got an opinion and a view of her own when you make a decision, but she seems set on not interfering or deciding for you. "Beregost or Friendly Arm to restock?"

The staff stays stood in the centre of the newly formed circle of trees - perhaps one day it might even graduate to being called a grove - as a symbol of broken nature among reformed nature. The change is gradual, as if grains of sand filling an hourglass that ticks away into the night. Mortals move quickly, nature less so, its steady progress an unrelenting force, even if one that takes some time. Steadily the cracks in the staff fill, growing with a new wood - a black wood, occasionally marked by flecks of orange or red bark.

It takes a few hours for the 'restoration' of the staff to complete, but when you do finally retrieve it the staff seems to be bent slightly more towards the shape of your hands. It feels more natural to grip it than it did before, and you can tell that the magic inside it is enhanced. A spell of protection, rather than destruction, now resides within it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Spoiler: Osmadi's Patched Staff
    Show

The rivulet cracks that run along the staff are starting to fill in, though with a notably different colour of wood, causing a patchwork pattern that looks, some might say, amateurish. It's clear that it's power has increased though, and it's one step closer to being whole once more. What it was, however, is not what it will become. Already you've taken a different path than Osmadi did, and are on the path to making the staff your own.

In addition to being able to cast Entangle once per long rest, it can now cast Barkskin once per long rest. When you do so via the staff, it does not require Concentration, lasting for the full 1 hour duration. Barkskin cast by the staff appears on the target creature's skin as blackened wood, scorched by fire, with the same hints and flecks of fire-coloured marks that now fill the 'gaps' in the staff. Though this changes the smell of the spell, it has no mechanical effect.

Also I forgot to identify the magic scrolls, they are Stinking Cloud, Scorching Ray, and Fear.

And I updated the googledoc loot list with money/items.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

The Augury:
    I guess the legal framework of a trade would interest you, Grepha. Senna caught herself cleaning the desk and ordering the ritualistic notes. She looked around again, as she was focussed enough assume she was in a library or monastery, but she regained consciousness of the chaos around her. She still scraped the wax from the table and put the book away, which she scribbled into. She wouldn't want anyone else to see the results of a vague, yet very personal divine reading.

Senna pauses. Answer me this, Grepha. Who are my biological parents? If you feel generous, tell me who Sam's and Caelyn's parents were as well.

Entranced, the cleric doesn't look up, but she is glad Sam was helping Caelyn a bit. We are doing fine. she said subconsciously attributing the remnants of personality to her bells. After all, the bells had different traits to them. One was somber and silent, one rebellious, another one regal.

To Vala's request, she had no clear answer. The Friendly Arm could prove interesting in the form of new rumors, but Beregost has two distinct advantages. We know people there, and I want to keep tabs on the vile dwarf. As both was true, there was a third advantage to it. Senna might be able to see her male friend again, even though she thought he should have left for the Gate a tenday ago.

10. - Top - End - #730

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

The Augury

Talons clacking on the wood of the desk, Grepha turns to face both Senna and Caelyn with grim seriousness. "Very well then. You are not simply foster siblings. You are all half-siblings, sharing a single biological father: Bhaal, the late God of Murder. I honestly do not know who your mortal mothers are, I'm sorry I can't be of more help with that." She pauses, letting what she just said sink in - along with everything else that must be falling into place in the sisters' minds.

"It is my belief that the children Gorion gathered were no coincidence, Senna, it is far too unlikely. He must have known what you are. And that means the Imoen girl we left behind may be one as well."

The Burned Forest

"As much as I'd like to go see Aintas again, the Fist wanted to meet up at the Friendly Arm," Sam adds his own suggestion. "We can't tell them a whole lot without making them jump the bow like Ender said, so we gotta get some real hard evidence in Cloakwood. But maybe they'd be able to help with taking this Tazok guy's home base too."

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

The Augury

Caelyn reeled backwards when Grepha spoke as though she was dodging a striking snake. What?!? Siblings I can understand and a agree with, but children of the god of murder? I don't accept that! I WON'T... Caelee went silent as she thought about the dark urges she had been feeling, the violent meltdown when she used her fire magic, and the dark place and beings her siblings experienced on the brink of death. She looked to Senna like a drowning woman looking for help, but she didn't find any logical or emotional counter point there. Godlings. They were all truly siblings, but siblings in blood and death. Slowly, Caelee got up and walked outside, muttering something about getting some air.

The Burned Forest

I would like to see Aintas again. I've been working on something special for the entire family, and I'd like to drop off his. It's a family stone. I'm not quite done with them, but I will be soon, and they should allow us to locate each other in case we get lost... or something more nefarious happens. Caelee is quiet, still contemplating the dire words of Grepha. She is eating and drinking to make up for her over 12 hour stint without either. She stands up, walks over to the staff, and sensing the attunement is complete, removes it from the dirt. It smelled lightly of smoke, but she could feel the protective magic emanating through the wood. Looking over at Sam, she smiled, realizing that the spell would protect her youngest sibling quite admirably. Either way, we should move on tomorrow. I'd like to rest after that exhausting ritual.

Show
    Taking the Marksman's Bow and adding it to Caelee's inventory.
    The Bear is Back.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

The Augury:
    Senna was looking at Grepha in disbelief. She was assuming the devil needed to consult with someone, take actual research. The question of their parentage was important, but not all-encompassing. If anything, she thought her blood was tainted by a fiend in her ancestry long ago, similar to the fabled tieflings or divine paragons known as aasimars. This revelation explained so much, yet Senna was not yet willing to believe: What evidence do you have for your claim? she asks. I do not think you would lie to us, little devil. Yet I am unsure if you yourself believe your own claim. If it were true, why would a god sire children into this world? Why are our odd powers so divergent and not focussed on the act of killing?

And why would this armored figure want us then and kill father for us? What kind of ritual does he plan? And the Kara-Turian cleric doesn't fit, even though the Cyric necromancer certainly does fit now.
    Questions over questions, and little to no answers. Senna clutches her temples. We should talk on the road.

We really should visit both places, starting with reporting to the Iron Fist. Our findings my prove valuable, and I doubt the captain himself is a mole. But we should choose our allies wisely, now that we have information the enemy does not suspect we have. Senna looks at the impassive elf. She lays aside her work for now, and approaches him. Can we trust in you keeping quiet? See as a sort of reward for us helping you. We will bring you to a safe place, where there are friends of ours helping you out until you have recovered.

The red-head turns to the others. Maybe old Joia can take care of him. In turn he helps the old lady. How does that sound?

And Vala, I don't know if you're looking for new recipes but I assume an old lady such as her can teach you a few new ideas. Not that your cooking is lacking. But this might be right up your alley.
    Senna's desperate attempts at easing the tension after the reveal were there, but she still struggled with it.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Augury

Vala's nostrils flare at the reveal of your parentage, or at least half of your parentage. The other half still remains to be seen. "That makes sense." It's a quiet murmur, to herself more than anyone else, as if Grepha slotted a piece of a puzzle into her mind and she can now see the full picture. "The bursts of violence, I mean, and the odd sense that brought me to you in the first place. God-children." She pauses, deep in thought. "I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about a prophecy about you if Grepha's telling the truth, though I can't for the life of me remember what it was."

Ralaar doesn't have any reaction to the information. His input wasn't requested or demanded.

Spoiler: Insight DC12
    Show

There's a slight twitch in Vala's hand, a few beads of sweat forming. She might not be as comfortable about all this as she'd have you believe.

Camp

"I do enjoy cooking but it'll be nice to have a night off. And a proper bed. And a bath, or five." She sniffs at her clothes and pats at her hair, frowning a tad at the loose ends. "I know Cloakwood, bandits, Iron Crisis, all that, very important, I get it, but wouldn't say no to a few days to recuperate is all." Gone unspoken is that she might need some more time to process your parentage mentally. She's had quiet hours to do so, of course, but you're all still in close proximity. In sight, in mind.

Senna's question does prompt a response from Ralaar, who looks at her with blank eyes. "Okay." It's a one word answer. Silence falls in the conversation. Moments tick by. Your heartbeat begins to thrum louder in your ears as he doesn't continue speaking. Finally, after a good thirty seconds he seems to grasp that there's more needed. "I won't tell anyone that you're all descended from the dead God of Murder." He might be trying to assure you that he understands by being so explicit, but the bluntness with which he delivers the information - flatly, matter-of-factly - gives it an edge of truth that wasn't quite there before. Spoken aloud by another, in such a manner, it seems to almost be setting the previous information into stone.

Spoiler: History/Religion on the Prophecy
    Show

Spoiler: DC1
    Show

You slept through most of Candlekeep lessons it seems. Almost all of them, in fact.

Spoiler: DC5
    Show

A lot of people prophecise a lot of things - Alaundo, Sythrilian Sybil from Chult, Isilfarrel the elf of Evermeet, and ancient El Nar'ysr from millenia ago. You'll need more information to pin down who made a prophecy and what it was about.

Spoiler: DC10
    Show
    Alaundo did have a prophecy about Bhaal's children, but the details escape you.

Spoiler: DC15
    Show

Alaundo's prophecy regarding you is as follows: The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sewn from their passage.

Spoiler: DC20
    Show

Alaundo lived roughly 1700 years ago and made Candlekeep his home for much of it. Many of his prophecies have come true in the intervening years. Among these prophecies are still some that have yet to come to pass - including the end of the world some 500 years from now, and that of Bhaal's progeny, which is rather more pressing.

Though his prophecies are often given to a chant form in brief, he wrote additional commentary on them also, as follows: The spawn of the Lord of Murder are fated to come into their inheritance through bloodshed and misery. It is the hope of their father that only one shall remain alive to inherit his legacy. I foresee that the children of Bhaal shall kill each other in a bloody massacre.

During the days of the Avatars, the Lord of Murder will spawn a score of mortal progeny. These offspring will be aligned good and evil, but chaos will flow through them all. When the Beast's bastard children come of age, they will bring havoc to the lands of the Sword Coast. One of these children must rise above the rest and claim their father's legacy. This inheritor will shape the history of the Sword Coast for centuries to come.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #734

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

The Augury

After the girls come up and words spreads above of their parentage, Sam looks distant and thoughtful. His eyes narrow in remembrance, as he recalls some things about this prophecy Vala mentioned. "That's... yeah. That's a lot... a lot to take in." Grepha flies back over and takes her place perched upon his shoulder, causing him to flinch a little involuntarily in his distant thoughts.

"I can hardly hazard a guess to the motivations of Bhaal, but I assure you it is nothing good," Grepha answers Senna. "In any case, the devil who formerly owned my soul was quite convinced that you were some of the children from the prophecy."

"A score is twenty," Sam says. "The three of us, Vivian, Aintas, that makes five. That means there's fifteen more out there."

The Burned Forest

While they walk, Sam has tried to push aside most of his worries about their heritage. He feels a looming dead in the back of his mind, but still, there must be a way for them to make it through this. So you knew what I was before. Is that why you made that bet? Of course. But my objective was more... complicated than just wanting your power, Samuel. His thoughts and Grepha's converse back and forth. I never intended to win that game. But it's for the best that my former master things I'm still pursuing your soul for him. So let's keep that between ourselves until we're stronger.

Sliding his thumbs into his pockets, Sam flexes and then draws in his wings, still getting used to keeping track of them as he moves. "Do you want us to drop you off at the Friendly Arm when we go to Beregost? To get a chance to relax and stuff," Sam offers Vala. And, unspoken, an offer of a chance to bail if she decided it was too much.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

The Augury:
    Six, if you count Imoen.

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sewn from their passage. Senna recites the ancient prophecy. I knew more but I didnt really think the Time of Troubles was affecting our generation. Come on, Sam, you know this, help me.
    The spawn of the Lord of Murder are fated to come into their inheritance through bloodshed and misery. It is the hope of their father that only one shall remain alive to inherit his legacy. I foresee that the children of Bhaal shall kill each other in a bloody massacre.
    Senna starts chanting more than reading out loud from her memory.

Senna crosses her arms in a defensive manner when she turns to Vala. I guess that explains our 'hostile' reaction onto each other's touch, my divine friend. Senna says, but she does not smile this time. While it would be unlikely that you are divine as well, I cannot think of any other reason why your body reacts that way. No other - uhm - mortal Senna stumbles over her words. no one else felt this way when close to us. And I should know, I worked in our infirmary.

She sees the insecure and sweaty reaction of Vala. You need not fear us. We are scrawny spellcasters, and we need a certain kind of focus to really be dangerous. Senna's sincere opinion and calm demeanor were juxtaposed by her poor choice of words.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma check 12 to 'calm' Vala.

Senna got to think about the ancient texts more, and with Sam's help, she eventually got the text right.

The spawn of the Lord of Murder are fated to come into their inheritance through bloodshed and misery. It is the hope of their father that only one shall remain alive to inherit his legacy. I foresee that the children of Bhaal shall kill each other in a bloody massacre.

During the days of the Avatars, the Lord of Murder will spawn a score of mortal progeny. These offspring will be aligned good and evil, but chaos will flow through them all. When the Beast's bastard children come of age, they will bring havoc to the lands of the Sword Coast. One of these children must rise above the rest and claim their father's legacy. This inheritor will shape the history of the Sword Coast for centuries to come.

Senna pauses and looks left and right, at the pyromaniac Caelyn, at her brother that just spontaneously grew wings and blood pacted with a devil. She thought about her other siblings. The energetic Vyvian and her overprotective brother Aintas. They should murder each other? This was absurd. But there could only be one god of murder, and she felt like more selfish siblings of them would not be so kind to each other.

Caelyn, are you done? We should continue our journey. Maybe Khalid and Jaheira can enlighten us. After all they were father's old friends.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

The Burned Battlefield

Yes. I am finished. Let us go. Caelee had to hold back shivers at the words of the prophecy, especially when she remembered that Aintas had been having dreams about hurting all of them. Killing them. She didn't remember having any similar dreams, but she looked to Senna and Sam, wondering for the first time if they were hiding anything. She felt a seed of doubt take root in her heart, and she didn't like it.
    The Bear is Back.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Senna's pleas fall short of reassuring the young warrior, whose concern doesn't seem abated at all after the recitation of the full prophecy. If anything it seems to make it worse. "It's...probably best we don't speak anymore on it," is the most genial way she has to end the conversation, before adding a quiet "Sorry."

The question of the eventual fate of Bhaal's children is shelved. Talking about it wouldn't help any, after all, and after a subdued evening meal you retire to bedrolls in preparation for a longer trek on the morrow. It's hard to tell if she's forcing it, but the next morning Vala appears to be back to her normal cheerful and friendly, if physically careful, self.

You quickly leave the enriched and regrown area that Caelyn formed back into the ashen death that you'd grown to know well on your return to the battlefield. Returning to the Friendly Arm Inn is not a short journey, as evidenced by the time it took for Grepha to return with the Fists. Moving directly west as the crow flies isn't an option for the party either, though Sam can at least flutter above the treetops on occasion. Instead you're forced to take a circuitous route south and west, in order to facilitate Rosc Roche and the cart. The trees are no less dense than they were before, but far more have been felled by the flames creating logblocks - and Vala can only heroically lift so many out of the way before even she begins to tire. Small cliffs and hillocks, perhaps once overlooking now-dried riverbeds, also pose a problem that means additional time spent finding paths down that don't risk your horse's legs.

You're accosted by very little native fauna in the four days it takes to exit the forest. What little attacks is repelled quickly enough and either put down or flees once the situation turns dire for them. In some ways it allows the food to come to you, since there's little else to feed upon in the forest anymore.

It's the afternoon of your fourth day finding paths out when Grepha and Sam report you're nearing the edge of the forest, and indeed you soon break free from the cinder-laden air of the now partially incinerated Wood of Sharp Teeth back onto the open plains of the Sword Coast. While the edges of the forest do seem to have hit the grasslands somewhat, they also seem to have died out not long after. 'Your' wildfire didn't spread that much further than the forest. You can therefore be safely assured that as you make your way closer to the Friendly Arm Inn on the horizon that it isn't your flames that have caused the thick plume of smoke that now rises from outside its stone walls. You smell the difference before you can see it. While that stench that has picked at your nostrils for days now has been charred and blackened wood, this is the scent of burning flesh - at once more pleasant and, perhaps, concerning.

The entryway to the grand keep turned inn is rather more busy when you approach, though not with merchants. Instead there's a few more soldiers than the two that were guarding it before - eight figures now stand outside the gate. Six soldiers each clad in armour and wielding either polearms or sword and shield, and two labourers in work clothes with no visible weapons. Scattered around the area are more than a dozen bodies of giant beetles and spiders, which the labourers are dragging to a large pyre and throwing onto it one at a time. Green and yellow blood splatter is visible on both ground and the soldier's armour, though some of it's been wiped away. Given their stances it doesn't look like the battle was within the last few minutes and they're in a state of half-relaxation or recovery, while still being somewhat alert.

The soldiers don't look particularly concerned as you approach. Possibly because they recognise you from your previous visits, possibly because of the direction you're coming from, and possibly because you're not in the company of giant insects and arachnids.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna approaches the guards with her tabard on full display, unarmed but drawing her shield. I have heard of animals leaving the forest fleeing from a fire, but his is ridiculous. What happened here? And is danger lingering? she asks cutting right to the chase. The smell was revolting and yet felt like...home?

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

The labourers give you a passing glance, but are too busy continuing their work to stop and chat, throwing more of the unusual creatures onto the pyre. The flames spark up with each new loud flumph of a corpse being added to the ever growing incineration. One of the guards speaks up in their place. His tone is one of bored rhetoric, regurgitating information rote rather than with any actual input from himself. "The Friendly Arm Inn would like to assure its guests and travelers that it is perfectly safe, and that the increased animal activity poses no threat to those within. Do not worry, the guards are well trained and are highly alert for any danger that might come." He pauses, the expression on his face a glimmer of hope that this would be enough for you, but when he sees that it's not he gives a quiet sigh. "Started happening about...5 or 6 days ago? Animals started coming from the Cloakwood to the west and attacking the Inn which...ain't normal. They built this place to last though so they all come to funnel through the main gate here, usually anywhere between four to a dozen at a time, with a few hours between each attack. No one's died that we know of and we're holding off fine, but it's driving down business unless someone can deal with it. Meant to be a safe haven, but burning a pile of animal corpses out front leaves visitors feeling nervous. If they keep to their current pattern, next attack'll be in about 3 hours or so."

"Six days ago? That's..." Vala stops herself from speaking further, but you can all do the mental timeline yourselves - six days ago was your attack on the bandits and the start of the forest fire. Possibly a coincidence, possibly connected. "Anyways, with the Fist still spread thin against bandit attacks and guarding iron shipments they've got no time to deal with weird animal attacks. Master Mirrorshade's got a bounty posted inside if you feel like making some coin." The guard shrugs. Now that you got him talking (simply with facial expressions, no less) he seems perfectly willing to speak up. "Not worried even if you don't though, this sorta thing is catnip for adventuring types. Think one group already left for it already."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Could it be of druidic hand then? We did encounter some Malarites, but I think we vanquished them all. This warrants investigation in any case, bounty or not. Do you assume Bentley or his wife know more? Senna says. She turns back to the group. I say we split up. Vala could bring Ralaar to Joira's place. He is much safer in here. The rest should inquire with either Gellana or Bentley. I assume Bentley is a more worldly informant while Gellana might have had conducted a few divinations.

I need a few ritual tools in any case.

Spoiler
    Show
    Senna will finally get to buy a pearl for identify, candles for auguries as well as incense for find familiar to bring Glyph back. The stuff should total 135 gold.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn turned to look in the direction of the Cloakwood over her shoulder, then turned back to the guards and the pyre that was swiftly destroying the bodies of the insects and arachnids who had been assaulting the Inn. Is it always giant bugs of some sort that attack? Or have there been birds or beasts alongside them? She didn't wait for an answer before continuing. I'm going to go in and have a drink. A meal perhaps, as well. In three hours time I will be back out here, and I will ask the animals themselves what is driving them to this madness. Possibly, if I am lucky, I can spare a few of them the fate of their predecessors. If druids are forcing these creatures to assault innocent people, then I will find out more about them and I will bring their incitement to an end. Caelee waited to see if her siblings had any other opinions before driving Rosc Roche through the gate and towards the stable.
    The Bear is Back.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

"Other than how much he's paying I doubt he knows anymore than we do," the guard shrugs. "S'what he pays us for after all, so he doesn't have to think about it. Not seen any birds yet, but they've had some wolves and boars. Alvin swears that he killed a giant moose on his own but we ain't seen a body, I think he's fulla rubbish." A snort from the beleaguered guard. "If you wanna try having a natter with 'em go ahead, but we're being paid to keep 'em out of the Keep. We're ain't gonna risk any getting through." He gestures at his weapons. It's not a threat to you, just a statement of fact: Your morals and investigations are less important than the job they're hired for.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #743

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

When he sees the smoke rising from the Friendly Arm, Sam's mind immediately goes to the worst. Not that their forest fire reached it, as they'd clearly left the wreckage behind, but that it was under attack. Hiking up his pack, he jogs ahead, giving Grepha a nod. She fades from view and takes wing in her raven form, soaring up to get a bird's eye view from above them. Part of him is glad for the distraction from his thoughts.

But when they arrive, all seems to have calmed already. Breathing a sigh of relief and panting from his jog, Sam takes a drink of his water and whistles. "Those are some big bugs."

Calming down now that things have settled, he asks the guards, "Anybody need some mending between waves? We've got plenty of healing magic to go around." After all, his own doubts are beginning to creep in. Doing even a little good would make him feel less of this karmic weight.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Grepha
    (1d20+3)[17] Perception to examine the area from above

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

The guards wave off the offer of healing. "We swap shifts regularly, and a few bruises aren't a real issue. Bentley'd get bent...heh...outta shape if we were seen getting healing from visitors. Makes the Inn look like it can't manage on its own." Up above, Grepha spots a number of animal trails from the west that could and likely have been used in the attacks, but they're interspersed and frequently obscured by trees. With the waning light of the sun in her eyes casting long shadows across the thick grass, she can't make out any animals in particular however, at least at this time.

Once pointed in the direction of Joia, Vala heads off with Ralaar, disappearing out of sight and mind for a while. She seems quietly glad for the distance, if only temporarily.

Inside the Inn itself is a more subdued atmosphere compared to your last visit. It's not totally 'dead' inside, and Bentley is clearly doing his best to keep up spirits, but the uneasiness that pervades the air means that any laughter or cheering dies down swiftly enough. It's not empty by any stretch, but nor is there the deep throng of people that you saw previously. A number of tables are empty even. Despite the guard's words, worry seems to have set in on the visitors. There's no lack of food or drink on offer though, and Bentley even offers a minor discount on drinks - buy four get your fifth free. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any more information about the source of the attacks than the guard's do, other than "They're coming from Cloakwood" and "the bounty's 1000 gold coins total for whoever can bring proof they've brought an end to the attacks." He does note that two other groups have already set out before you. One yesterday, and another a few days before that. Given the size and danger of the Cloakwood though, it's perfectly possible they're still searching for whatever the cause of the problem is. It's the better part of a day just to reach it, nevermind exploring the place. It's clear you're not the only ones who are available (and perhaps interested) in claiming the bounty, stopping the attacks, or both.

Gellana has no information that Bentley doesn't, less even, though she does make sure to warn Senna to make sure they've got enough water with them and to watch out for sunburn if she's going to be spending a lot of time traveling.

When Vala finds you all reconvened some time later in the inn, she's wearing a pensive expression on her face. Ralaar isn't with her, but that doesn't seem to have alleviated the problem. "Joia can't take him, no space, and she's not in a position to be hosting one-armed men with a questionable mental state. She...rightly brought up that even though he seems fine, if he's been through a lot he could be unstable, and she's not in any particular state to defend herself if he does attack." She pauses, "She's just watching him for a few hours. I could probably get him a job in Beregost, nothing fancy but keep him around enough people that they could stop him if he tries to hurt himself...or others, unless you guys have any other suggestions?"

Show

135gp subtracted from moneysheet for Senna's spellcasting components.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-07-27 at 05:38 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna nods and thanks Vala, wanting to take her hands to calm the woman, but at the last second she takes them back. Are you sure, Ralaar is stable enough for us not to return to a mess? Maybe we should inquire with Gellana, she does have a certain motherly air to her, and we can trust in her to be able to handle a small fight.

I couldn't live with myself if Ralaar did something to her.
    Senna pauses to think and then leaves for Joia. She really wanted to identify her boots' properties now that she had the spell focus for it, but this just had to wait.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn, who had been pondering the fate of Ralaar since she spent the better part of the day with the traumatized elf, speaks slowly but surely, as though she had prepared this speech. We've saved this man's life. That is admirable. But I do not think we have the time or resources to save his mind. If we can find him a job in Beregost where we can keep him as safe from himself as possible, I say we take it, but I don't think we should burden ourselves with his well being more than that. We've given him a second chance at life, but we cannot spend the rest of ours holding his hand and directing him like a child. We have more pressing matters than that. It may sound cold and callous, but I honestly believe it to be true. Caelyn takes a long sip of her drink as she observes how this opinion lands amongst Vala and her family.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #747

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    -- | --

Sam rolls his eyes at the guard's bravado, but doesn't push the issue. "Just don't shoot my bird, then," he looks up and whistles, calling Grepha back down. She circles down from above to land on his leather pauldron. No immediate signs of danger.

A slight nod, and he moves along inside with the others.

Ordering some food as well, he digs in. But the table talk is mostly absent, until Vala arrives and breaks the awkward silence. Grepha plucks up and swallows a big of bread before commenting on Ralaar's situation, "Depends if it's a physical or mental problem. If the man's traumatized, well, none of us is a therapist. Nothing more we can do about that."

"What if that stasis chamber damaged him somehow...? Like, in his head?" tapping the side of his head, Sam ponders the idea sadly. "I guess there's not much we can do about that either. I think fixing that kinda thing would be high level magic, kinda stuff we can't do." "Yet." "Maybe."

Setting down the spoon he'd been using for soup, Sam shakes his head. "Vala's probably right. We could get him work on Beregost, somewhere to stay. After that maybe he'll start to recover?"

"Maybe he was always a little daft." "Grepha!" "What? You don't know the first thing about him."

Leaning back in his chair, Sam looks over at Vala. "Did you want to take him to Beregost while we investigate the animal attacks? Since you've been wanting some space and all. If you're nervous about sleeping alone around him, I could send Grepha with you."

"I'm not so sure she's any more eager to spend time with me."

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Instead of eating, Senna takes an empty table and conjures her cat familiar, possibly much to the amusement of the surrounding guests. The red-headed cleric then commands her calico to play nice with the people, hoping to at least calm some nerves around the tavern. She returns just in time for the argument. Senna is torn between the calm assessment of the situation, which has been ingrained in her to see all sides of a coin without emotion, and her apparent desire to show more empathy in order to fight her infernal nature.

This is the Friendly Arm. Even if it is only at half capacity, there will be caravans going out to Beregost almost daily. Caelyn is right, that we do not need to be Ralaar's only line of aid. But again, esoteric and divine portents aside, I will not want to miss Vala, when we are going against two circuses worth of wild animals incited to fight to the bloody end. Some predators are fierce, and some creatures fight to their death when cornered, but even I know that is not normal.

Senna turns to Vala, locking eyes with the warrior-chef. I understand being uneasy around us. And if you do not fancy being near us, we will persevere without you. But we would very much enjoy your presence, for both pragmatic reasons and because I...we like you.

With those words, Senna leaves again to consult Deneir about her damned shoes. She knew cursed items were beyond the power of such a simple divination but maybe she could get a name or at least all the magical auras from reading into them. She took a room for this kind of divination, for the simple reason that she would have to cast the ritual sitting on the floor, clutching her feet.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

Vala's cheeks flush a bit red at being caught - and called - out. "No, that's not, I..." She stumbles over her words before catching up to herself. "I don't have a problem going alone, but I thought you-" Again she cuts herself off, correcting herself forcefully. "we would be going back to High Hedge to stock up and offload things before going into the Cloakwood. I'm guessing if the other groups who went in haven't fixed it yet it's not something that can be solved in the two day round trip to Beregost and back, and they don't seem in urgent danger. I'm not against staying with your group, if you'll have me, it's just recent news is..." She sighs, again. "It's a lot to process."

"But..." she continues, her words still a touch higher pitched than normal. "If you think it's better to look around that makes sense. I don't object to your company Grepha, just don't expect any deals to be made simply because Sam's not watching you." She holds back from saying anything more. Devils could be tempted just as mortals could, and she wasn't going to dangle the "impossible" sign around her neck any more than she already had.

Spoiler: Boot Info
    Show

The exact nature of the curse is still held back from you. What the magic does tell you is:
    The curse's nature relates to movement in some way, though how exactly isn't clear. Given that it's not activated from walking and running, it seems that there is some other trigger for it to activate. Given the boots seem to enhance your defences, this does make some sense. At the very least you're sure that the defence boost it offers isn't going to be rescinded and leave you armourless, that much is clear.

There's little of note regarding their origins. Whomever made them wasn't noteworthy in anyway, perhaps indicating their creation was an accident or a mistake by a novitiate crafter or arcanist who fumbled a spell beyond their capabilities. Such 'cursed' items are not unheard of. Sometimes a 'curse' is the result of ignorance, rather than active malice.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-07-28 at 05:57 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #750

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    -- | --

With an understanding smile, Sam reassures Vala, "It's alright. I get it. If I were you and our roles were reversed, I'd probably feel similar..." his smile fades with a sigh as he picks up his bowl of soup to drink what's left, then sets it down on the table with a light clink.

"I want to do some scouting and see if Caelyn can learn from the animals what's going on. Or maybe even our dryad friend, if she's still a friend and not super angry at us after uh... y'know. Maybe we could give you two a list and you can stop by the Hedge on the way back?" he suggests.

"No business, strictly recreational, got it," Grepha jests at Vala's advanced refusal of any dealings. "But if you take requests, I wouldn't mind more of those spicy poppers."