Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Results 451 to 474 of 474
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    A brief look of relief flashes over Okethar's features as Senna's voice puts the matter to rest and your path is settled. Bula takes the front again, pushing through the ajar door that squeaks loudly on its rusted hinges. Any chance of stealth is immediately hindered, but you don't hear any sort of other noise that could be from creatures. Instead, a wave of heat washes over you all - even worse than the sun up above. It's a choking heat, and those of weaker constitution may need to step back into the still warm but comparatively cooler main room. The treasure hunters bear it, pushing forward, followed by whomever can suffer through the heat. It's a thin hallway, not nearly wide enough for two to pass each other easily, and turns off to the right almost immediately.

    Those without enhanced vision would find no difficulty seeing in this room, for stretching across its middle - blocking your path from proceeding - is the 'fire trap' that Okethar spoke of, though his description really didn't do it justice. It appears to be less flames and more a large pool or river of molten liquid, giving off a light that scatters the darkness totally from the room, almost blindinghly. It's lava, perhaps, though maybe not given that your skin isn't burning just from being nearby. Still, it's extremely hot, and whatever the bubbling liquid is it seems to have been there fore some time. The long pool is maybe ten feet wide all in all, and there's thin footholds on either side of it - that you would have to squeeze to stand on. Gazgazgaz passes a vial of icy blue liquid forward along the line of hunters to Bula, who casually tosses it into the not-lava, without even uncorking it. If she felt any impact from the heat, trapped in her armour, she doesn't show it.

    The effect of the concoction is instantaneous, as the heat of the 'river' is flashfrozen. Stifling air turns chilly, and a thick layer of ice now rests atop the gleaming orange liquid. The almost impossibly clear ice gives you sight below it, and you can see that thought the alchemical cocktail has covered it, the heat still rages below and the light still beams through, casting disconcerting and unusual shadows upwards instead of down, as you might normally expect. "Lasts for about a minute, so get movin'. Quick yeah," Gazgazgaz says, shuffling Marie off to one side so that you can move past him. Bula steps carefully with her first foot, but upon finding it sturdy steps forward without any further hesitation. Vala follows close behind.

    Ahead is another door, the same thick wood on rusted hinges as the one you went through before, but Bula gives you all a chance to get your bearings, given the sights on display.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  2. - Top - End - #452
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 39/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: --- | --

    The sight of the molten flow fills Sam with awe, as he looks around the room, brightly lit without even a flame dancing in the open air. "Whew, even I'm feeling that," he chuckles, wondering how Gaz is going to get them past this. It would take a lot of heat resistance potions to get through here. His answer comes with something even more astonishing than the brilliant liquid, a sheet of clear ice defying all logic by coexisting the same space.

    "That's pretty cool," he says as he steps across the ice come his turn, heart beating rapidly in his chest with how close, physically and visible, he is to the molten moat. Once on the other side, he moves quickly over to the door to make room for others behind him.

  3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    With time against you, and feet carrying you across the icy path, you approach the door southwards out of the 'fire trap' room. Those with particularly sharp ears pick up what sounds like chanting from beyond, though if Bula notices she pays little attention to it as she doesn't slow the movements, opening the door and stepping inside.

    A stark contrast to the previous orange light, this room is bathed in a deep, unnatural purple, emanating from a central circle in the middle of the room. It's larger than the previous rooms, 40' wide and 50' long in front of you, with the same greystone bricks for floor, ceiling and walls. The outer edges are lined with bookshelves, most of which lack the layers of dust. The magic circle in the centre contains what looks to be a ashen-skinned dwarf with thick shoulders, a bald head, a great dark-brown beard and gleaming red eyes. He's bound by magical bonds appearing as thick bars of metal, yet gleaming with the same purple light that colours the room. He appears conscious, though efforts to struggle against the bonds seem in vain. Three robed figures stand outside of the circle, chanting quietly, evidently not overly concerned by the scraping door opening. They're bald, or at least have cleanly shaven heads, with tattoos inked across their scalps, and wearing robes of deep crimson. Single strands of the purple magic link the hands of the casters to the bonds wrapped around the dwarf. The closest one stops chanting as Bula steps inside, unable to ignore the interruption any further.

    “What's this?”
    she asks, her voice oozing with the arrogance of power. The sound of Okethar's crossbow locking a bolt is heard behind Sam, and there's a soft prod of the crossbow's stirrup into the half-dragon's back, signalling the threat explicitly. The thick steel tipped projectile is now pointed directly at Sam's spine.

    “New materials, since you've almost run out.” Okethar calls over to the bald mage. Vala steps forward, intent on battle, but she's halted, if only temporarily, by Bula holding her flail up in front of the young chef-singer. A warning. A threat. Vala stops, for now, waiting for you to make a decision. You notice that Gazgazgaz and Marie haven't come with you, instead stepping into the path of the hallway you came from, blocking the exit. The goblin wolfrider nurses a phial of some liquid, though clearly not the icy blue one they had before. When Oke speaks next he lowers his voice, just a touch, to address you all directly. His tone is still relaxed, warm and kind, as if he wasn't threatening your life at all. “If you'd kindly throw down your weapons and spell tools, and surrender, we can avoid any unnecessary violence.” His smile doesn't budge an inch, but his eyes speak louder than words, and he's deadly serious.

    Spoiler: Detect Good and Evil
    Show

    None of the robed mages appear different at all, but the far reaches cling around the dwarf, swirling tempests straining at his skin. Odd phenonema seem to burst around him - at once point he seems to have grown the horns of a bull that vanish just as quick, at another moment all his visible skin appears flayed, covered in tiny razor teeth, and yet a moment later a bird's head surrounded by a cloud of flies seems to burst from his skin, adjacent to his normal dwarven head. Monstrous, bloody mutations play out in front of Senna's eyes, and yet at the centre of it all the dwarf is still just a dwarf. Whatever clings to him isn't part of his essence, like the voids in your heart or Vala's power, it's something being forced on him, and that is straining against the bindings.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-04-09 at 05:17 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  4. - Top - End - #454
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 39/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: --- | --

    As they enter the chamber, Sam feels a chill run down his spine, mere moments before something is pressed up against his back. Responding on instinct, he attempts to twist around and use the motion of turning to face his attacker to push the crossbow out of position.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Engaging in Initiative.
    Rolled in Discord for 25.


  5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    It's not enough to disarm Okethar, but Sam does manage to throw off the aim, if only temporarily. The presumed-aasimar sighs, "Violence it is then." Only the closest mage seems to move to join the fray, severing the binding she was maintaining. The other two robed figures maintain their spells and chanting, for now at least.

    Spoiler: Map
    Show




    Despite rolling *around* 20, no one actually hit it, rip. But you did all beat the enemies, except for Vala.

    If no one else puppets Melian I'll do it before the enemy turn.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: Light (on holy symbol)
    Concentration: Detect Good and Evil

    Did you really think we went quietly? Senna draws her shield and starts a spell. First to destroy your magic. Senna takes a step back and shunts her every will against the magic circle.

    Evil that invades this place
    I banish thee with light and grace
    You have no hold or power here
    Leave no, we have no fear.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a step back and casting Dispel Magic on the dwarf or circle.

    Last edited by Spore; 2021-04-10 at 07:23 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #457
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 39/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: --- | --

    Face twisting in anger at their betrayers, Sam squats and jumps up and to his left, something that no doubt seems a strange move. Then he utters a single word in Infernal, and his eyes flash with a menacing red glow. He catches hangtime as his mouth is thrown wide by the force launched by the word in a rippling downward shockwave.

    Spoiler: Infernal
    Show
    "Thunder!"


    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move 1 square West. Cast a jumping Thunderwave to try and dunk Oke into the 'fire trap'. Using a 2nd level Warlock slot.

    Oke DC 14 Con save for half: (1d20)[1]
    Thunder Damage: (3d8)[14]

    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-04-10 at 11:59 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 39/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

    Caelyn's first instinct is to run for it, but with the goblin blocking the way and her family beginning to make their stand, she steels herself. She lifts her wand and flicks it upward shouting in Druidic. Behind Gazgazgaz, a wash of flame emanates outward, catching the goblin, his animal, Oke, and unfortunately Senna in a wave of fire. Moving to the west, she looks anxiously at the cracking ice. The crawling elemental shakes itself as it enters this realm, then a flaming orb shoots from it's abdomen at Oke before it shifts backward to tempt the enemy into attacking it.

    Spoiler: Druidic
    Show
    Bokono! Rise and breath flame on these villains!


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Action- Summon wildfire spirit one square north of Gazgazgaz. Anything within 10 feet takes (2d10)[7] fire damage unless they make a DC 15 Dexterity save. Movement-Move west of Sam's final position. Bonus action- Order Bokono. Bokono actions- Fire a fire seed at Oke- (1d20+5)[9] and (1d6+3)[5] damage. Then stepping back 5 feet, possibly provoking opportunity attacks from the wolf and the goblin.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-04-11 at 12:20 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

  9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    The force of Sam's thunderous spell throws Oke back from his aimed position, flinging him to the floor. He rolls with it though, and barely escapes falling with the shattered ice into the molten liquid below. His smile's gone, at least, but so is a great deal of the ice that was holding the heat at bay. Already the edges of the remaining ice are falling away, throwing up clouds of boiling steam into the air that threaten to choke the air from your lungs and sear your eyes. Bokono's fiery entrance engulfs Marie and Gazgazgaz, the latter of which angrily yells "Are you mad? You'll burn too!". The goblin unhooks a potion from his satchel and tosses it into the air, where it shatters on its own, raining flaming beams down upon Sam, Senna and Caelyn. Marie, meanwhile, gives chase to Bokono (who sadly missed Okethar with its fiery seed), first nipping at its wooden legs as it makes its escape, but more importantly getting them both away from the moat of death that threatened to engulf them.

    Okethar, given a choice between moving along the outer edge and past you, or around the east side and heading towards Bula and the mages, choose the latter. He slides across the ice to the 'mage' side of the moat, uttering an incantation. To everyone else's eyes, the spell does nothing, but to Sam he immediately sees the effect. A pair of spiked manacles, digging into the flesh of his ankles, locked to the ground, keeping him in place. "Just surrender you damn fools, it's preferable to death."

    Senna's dispel, however, is the most impactful. Immediately the bindings around the dwarf vanish, and what before only she could see now begins to manifest into reality. The dwarf's head elongates, growing horns and changing shape into that of a bull. A bull that breathes fire, flames licking around its chops. At the same time he grows in size, larger and larger, it's body is touching the ceiling even with a natural hunch. Two more heads appear alongside the bull - that of an eagle, surrounded by flies, and that of a black-furred lion with a white man. His already ashen skin darkens further, and his thin ragged trousers tear away to reveal goats legs. Razor sharp lion claws on its fingers, and a tail in the shape of a snake - complete with a full head at its apex - springs forth from his lower back. Whatever spirits the dwarf had contained inside him have now fully taken control, even as they war within the body for dominance of form. Whether your ally or not, the otherworldly chimera beast launches a furious assault on the closest spellcaster, tearing at him with maw, claw and tail. Blood spurts from the caster, though they stay standing, managing to scream "Run for the door!" as they stream past the beast. Both their companions move to assist, one locking the possessed creature to the ground with similar spiked chains to that which hold down Sam, and the other approaching Melian and Vala. She utters the shortest of incantations before unleashing a flaming blast at the two of them. Though it passes over Bula as well, the armoured figure seems entirely unaffected. Melian and Vala both manage to evade the worst of it, and though both the melee fighters manage to land blows against Bula, she stands tall. She raises her flail above her head and then brings it crashing down upon not one of her assailants, but the floor, unleashing a thunderous wave of fear that washes over those she has deemed a threat. Melian, perhaps reassured by the grip of her moonblade, shakes off the worst of it, but Vala, Sam and Senna are all unable to avoid it. Despite, or perhaps because of, Bula's lack of speech, they all find themselves suddenly deeply afraid of her presence.

    Spoiler: Map
    Show



    Turn Recap:
    Melian did 10 damage to Bula with her fancy moonblade and also used bladesong.

    Oke made his save to avoid the lava damage, lucky him. He moved back to the 'wizard' side of the moat, and cast a spell on Sam that summoned a spiked chain locking him into place. Sam also took 3 psychic damage. It's Phantasmal Force, so he needs to spend his action to make an Intelligence (Investigation) check against the spell save DC (13) to disbelieve it, otherwise he's not able to move anywhere. Or break concentration, that works too, of course.

    Marie hit Bokono for 9 damage (21/30 remaining) but the plucky little wildfire buddy managed to stay on his feet and not go Prone. Marie than used Dodge on her turn.

    Gazgazgaz tossed a scorching ray potion and split the beams. He also hit with all three. Senna takes 10 damage, Sam 8, and Caelyn 11. Fire type, not factoring in resistances.

    Sam, Senna, Vala and the Chimera are all Frightened of Bula, so you're unable to move closer to her at all. You can make a new wis save at the end of your turn to break the effect (DC15). This is especially perilous to Senna, who's still on the ice.

    The chimera-dwarf tore into one of the mages (Green) who was originally on the right side. Took 21 damage total, looks to be about halfhealth. They're dodging, and moved towards "the door".

    Another mage (red) moved forwards and cast burning hands, but both Vala and Melian made their saves, so they only took 7 fire damage (Vala: 59/66, Melian: 27/34). Notably the fire didn't seem to touch either Bula or Green.

    The final mage (blue) cast another spell on the chimera, binding it with similar spiked chains to the ones that are holding back Sam, he's forced prone by these ones however, along with being locked in place, perhaps indicating a greater mastery/knowledge of illusions.

    After ALL OF THAT

    Vala uses divine fervor (rage) and reckless attacks to negate the frightened disadvantage against Bula. She manages to hit with both attacks (barely) and deals 18 to the silent knight.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 34/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

    When Gaz's rays of fire fly towards their intended targets, Caelyn lifts her hand defensively in the air, and on instinct, whether from her ancestry or her druid training, she catches the scorching ray. She winces as her flesh begins to singe, but some internal magic causes the majority of the heat to snuff out. When the spell sizzles out, her hand is red and peeling from the heat, but the spell is muted in comparison to it's firey potential. Flames blossom in the druid's hand as she considers sending the excess heat of the goblin's spell back at him, but instead Caelyn's nostrils blow smoke as she snuffs the spell. Instead she cries out in Druidic, and Bokono springs into action. Firing another flaming seed at Marie to draw her attention, Bokono backs up five feet to tempt the wolf to follow it, putting it's body on the line for it's soul partner. Once the wolf was distracted, Caelee takes a step onto the ice and leaps forward. In midair she shrinks instantaneously into a sugar glider. Riding the thermals of the lava, she lands on the opposite side and scampers past the wolf and rider and beyond her wildfire spirit, safely crossing the lava and gaining a tactical position.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Reaction from the previous turn- Absorb elements to reduce the damage of the ray to 5 fire damage. Bonus action- Order Bokono. Hold action and movement till after bokono's turn. Then Bokono fires a seed at Marie- (1d20+5)[25] to hit, (1d6+3)[7] damage, plus 4 crit damage (Rolled in the Discord). Then Bokono moves back 5 feet, provoking an attack from Marie. That done, Caelee uses her action to turn into a flying squirrel, glides across the lava, and moves past Gaz and Marie, past Bokono, and ends the turn.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-04-11 at 03:26 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

  11. - Top - End - #461
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 36/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: Stuck (Phantasmal Force) | --

    Caught by spiked manacles, Sam is halted mid stride as he begins making for the other side of the pit. Baring his teeth, he glares at Oke across the room. His gaze flicks around the corner at the scene unfolding inside the ritual chamber. "If not dying's your goal, you probably shouldn't have come back over here!" Gathering a pair of crackling green energy bolts in his palms, he hurls them at Oke. "Melian, Vala, get out of there!"

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casting Eldritch Blast, double dose on Oke.

    (1d20+6)[15] Blast 1 (Squeeze Adv: 23 in Discord)
    (1d10)[6] force damage and (1d4)[4] bludgeoning from the wall
    (1d20+6)[9] Blast 2 (Squeeze Adv: 18 in Discord)
    (1d10)[4] force damage and (1d4)[1] bludgeoning from the wall
    Bonus action to Bardic Inspiration on Vala.

    If Oke's concentration breaks, Sam moves 2 North, 1 East.

    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-04-11 at 09:57 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: Light (on holy symbol), frightened (of Bula)
    Concentration: Bless (Vala, Sam and Senna)

    Filled with some sort of primordial dread, Senna retreats to the north "shore" of the lava river. She prays to Deneir to save the others from Bula.

    Spoiler
    Show
    casting Bless
    Fear ave (1d20+7)[12] + (1d4)[1]

    Last edited by Spore; 2021-04-12 at 09:59 AM.

  13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    "Don't need to tell me twice." Vala calls back to Sam as she and Melian continue to exchange blows with Bula, though neither side makes any particular headway into their opponents. Melian takes the opportunity to quickly incant a spell. Her form vanishes into little more than mist and air from beside Bula, reappearing at Sam's side, albeit precariously close to the molten liquid adjacent to them both.

    Marie isn't able to latch her jaws around Bokono's extended legs as it flees round the corner, but Gazgazgaz drives her onwards, dumping half a potion onto her head even as he smears a crackling liquid across his palm. He pulls the wolf up alongside the elemental as he gives chase to it - and the squirrel'd Caelyn. He smashes his fist into Bokono, discharging the electric power right into Bokono, before pulling back ready for another attack.

    "Some gratitude, try to let them surrender peacefully, this is what we get," Okethar mumbles, nursing the wounds from Sam's force blast. He gives as good as he gets however, loosing a bolt at Sam which strikes him in the shoulder. Through the pain Sam feels magic coursing through it, magic which he can't resist, and it forces him to confess a secret shame.

    The mages seem content to not pay you too much attention, with only one casting a further spell at Vala, striking her with three beads of force magic, as they all make an escape via a previously hidden panel in the wall, darting out of sight. Vala slams her shield into Bula's legs, knocking the knight off her feet, before fleeing north and leaping the gap, immediately heading down the tunnel towards Gazgazgaz. The last of the ice looks to be disappearing in just a moment.

    And through this all, the Chimera screams at the chains, still unable to break free.

    Spoiler: Map
    Show



    Melian misses Bula, then Misty Steps over to the far shore.

    Marie misses with her OA bite. She then dodges again as they pursue Bokono (and get away from the moat).

    Gazgazgaz drops a healing 'spell' on Marie and then deals 8 lightning damage to Bokono (13/30 remaining). Bokono also can't take reactions for one turn, if that matters. I don't think it does.

    Okethar shoots Sam with his crossbow, dealing 12 piercing damage. Sam is also magically compelled to confess a shameful secret loud enough for Okethar to hear it.

    Bula misses Vala with her flail, even with advantage!

    Green disengages and opens a hidden wall panel before disappearing through it. Blue follows without casting a spell. Red launches a magic missile on Vala dealing 12 force damage (47/66 remaining).

    The Chimera is unable to shake off the chains or disbelieve them.

    Vala knocks Bula prone with her shield master BA then attacks twice and misses twice, even with bless! :( She then proceeds to flee north and take a running jump over to the far shore. She makes her fear save, breaking the Frightened effect.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  14. - Top - End - #464
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    The bolt stings as it passes by, and Sam feels a sudden urge to blurt out, "Sometimes I wish I could flip a switch and make Senna stop talking!" His mouth forms a firm line and he glares at the man across the moat. Part of him wants to force Oke to go fight that giant monster, but that nagging feeling of guilt in the back of his mind for using enchantment magic against Kagain. Instead, he hurls another pair of energy bolts across the gap.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Casting Eldritch Blast on Oke twice, again. I think we're both squeezing, so it cancels out? I'll roll disadvantage just in case.

    (1d20+6)[16] (1d20+6)[20] Blast 1
    (1d10)[6] force damage and (1d4)[3] bludgeoning from the wall
    (1d20+6)[9] (1d20+6)[8] Blast 2
    (1d10)[5] force damage and (1d4)[3] bludgeoning from the wall


  15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 34/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

    The sugar glider promptly expands into elven form, and Caelee turns to face Gazgazgaz and Marie, eyes filled with dancing flames and hair rising on the heated currents of air her body was putting off. She raises her staff in one hand, her extended palm in the other, and beads of fire appear on four of her fingers. She contemplates splitting them between wolf and master, but she could not blame the canine for being loyal to a friend. Her features soften a bit, and she tries to avoid unnecessary conflict one last time. Surrender, Gazgazgaz. You are surrounded by foes and your allies are on the other side of a lava pit. Do not make me destroy you. Even if you tread that path, you have my assurance that I will try to save Marie. If the goblin takes further hostile action, she lets fly four scorching rays, all aimed directly at him.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Free action- attempt diplomacy. If Gaz or Marie continues hostile action, cast scorching ray (upcast to level 3) and target all 4 at Gaz. (1d20+7)[9] to hit and (2d6)[9] damage. (1d20+7)[27] to hit and (2d6)[8] damage. (1d20+7)[11] to hit and (2d6)[9] damage. (1d20+7)[19] to hit and (2d6)[7] damage. And an additional 2d6 in case I crit on any of those- (2d6)[4].
    The Bear is Back.

  16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: Light (on holy symbol), Spiritual Weapon (near Oke)
    Concentration: Bless (Vala, Sam and Senna)

    Senna summons a spectral bell and flame next to Okethar. The aasimar is clearly unimpressed by the bell, but is then pummeled by the energy weapon. At least I am not gambling my soul with a devil, Sam, the Short-Sighted. she responds to Sam's sudden heart-to-heart.

    Spoiler
    Show
    casting Spiritual Weapon (20 to hit) and Toll the Dead (prerolled wis save 18+mods).
    Fear save (1d20+7)[25] + (1d4)[1]

    Last edited by Spore; 2021-04-14 at 02:04 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Sam, Senna and Melian combine their attacks on Okethar. The no-longer-smiling bard raises his crossbow again but an extremely potent ray of frost from Melian ends him before he can loose another truth-telling bolt. He falls sideways, narrowly avoiding going directly into the molten moat, however one of his arms does fall in. The heat melts flesh from bone, and bone from bone. His clothes set fire, and the entire room is filled with the unpleasant smell of human flesh cooking, which seems to only make the chimera madder. Whatever connection Okethar and Bula shared, or if she just reads the looks on your faces, she seems to realise he's gone, and disappears into the hidden compartment on the side of the room.

    Only to burst out of the door nearest to the stairs moments later, followed closely by two of the robed mages. The armoured knight takes up position in front of the stairs, blocking any escape. If you're leaving, you're doing it through her. Gazgazgaz scoffs in Caelyn's face, downing a vial before spurting caustic liquid over the elf and her elemental pet. Both were ready however, and he's clearly thrown off by Caelyn's beams of flame slamming into his chest. Already weakened by Caelyn, Vala finishes the job by spearing him through the side, forcibly 'dismounting' him from Marie.

    Spoiler: Map
    Show



    Okethar is dead.
    Gazgazgaz is dead.

    All in all this could be going better for the 'treasure hunters'.

    Marie's still dodging, and she's notably blocking the path for everyone except Caelyn and Bokono, which is very awkward. Sam+Senna might be sat on their proverbial hands next turn. Gives a breather to heal, I suppose.

    Caelyn and Bokono both took 3 acid damage (10/30 remaining for our elemental friend) each from Gazgazgaz before he died.
    Caelyn also took 1 necrotic damage from Green and isn't able to (re)gain any hitpoints until the end of Green's next turn.

    Red has cast Mirror Image on themselves.

    The chimera continues to struggle against the phantasmal force. -4 int modifier really doing a number on this guy.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 34/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

    Caelee doesn't flinch as Gaz's final attack sizzles off her skin, nor when the robed mage's necrotic assault wisps off her skin. Instead, she draws a piece of dried meat from her bag and kneels down, holding it out towards Marie. She gives a high whistle to get the wolf's attention, and invisible magic reaches out to befuddle the creature's mind. Then she shouts a command to Bokono, who moves past her to block access to the tunnel she is in and limit access from enemies to it's soul mate. If the wolf seems pacified, Caelee will approach it and guide it to the side of the corridor, making room for Vala and her family to pass. Bokono shakes his hind quarters and another flaming seed shoots out at Bula.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Animal Friendship on Marie. (1d20)[12] vs. DC 15 to resist. Bonus action to order Bokono to move past Caelee. If the wolf is charmed, Caelee will move adjacent to it and scruff it's ears, making room for allies to pass them by, and Bokono will move back into the corridor to block Bula from murderating Caelee on her turn. Fire seed from Bokono at Bule- (1d20+4)[6] to hit and (1d6+3)[8] damage.
    The Bear is Back.

  19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: Light (on holy symbol), Spiritual Weapon (near Oke)
    Concentration: Bless (Vala, Sam and Senna)

    Senna concentrates on her familiar Glyph.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elly
    Peering through Glyph's eyes and ears finds the surface much the same way as you left it. It's not been that long after all, less than an hour certainly, between the investigation of the map room and discussions on future paths. J.J. maintains a quiet vigil, alternately glancing in Glyph's direction and watching outside of the ruins. If he's heard anything below (and Glyph can't hear anything from below) he doesn't show any concerns about it, leaning casually against a half-ruined wall with his trident hanging lazily from one hand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spiritual Weapon moved onto Okono's square.


    Glyph suddenly jolts up, jumps at the lizard's face and shows him her butthole, swiping her tail in his face a few times. She tries to jump off to lead the lizardman downstairs.
    Last edited by Spore; Yesterday at 02:38 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #470
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    "Congratulations on being smarter than a ten year old," Sam quips back, pressing back against the wall and then pushing off of the ledge as he soars over the gap. On the other side he hits the ground running, sprinting through the room in the direction he'd seen the mages go. Slipping the handaxe out of his belt, he cuts the corner and bolts through.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move 4 spaces south, with a long jump as part of the movement (20 Athletics in Discord). Move 2 spaces southwest, then 2 spaces west and 1 space northwest, to move adjacent to Blue Mage.

    Draw handaxe as part of movement to threaten AoO if Blue Mage moves away without disengaging.


  21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Caelyn's spell wraps around Marie's mind, calming the snarling wolf, pacifying her from bringing her snapping jaws to bear against the druid. With the space open, Bokono launches another fire seed at Bula, though the flames barely seem to impact the armoured knight. Melian has more luck, bringing a thunderous blade to bear, diving into the fray to attack. Her moonblade slices up into Bula's armour, drawing blood, and she leaps away the moment that Bula's flail swings down towards her, evading the chain weapon that crackles with necrotic energy. With a target now in melee range, one of the mages attempts to wrap Melian in dark magics, blocking her eyesight, though the eladrin manages to shake off the grip of the spell. The other mage launches a beam of silvery light that strikes the stone above Bokono. For a moment a shrinking sphere - transparent yet with its edge clearly defined - shrinks towards the point, before bursting, the thunderous explosion of sound rocking the cellar.

    Up on the surface, J.J. snarls at Glyphs antics, cursing him out in his lizardfolk tongue. The detonation from below rocks even the ruins above, however, and J.J. clearly notices. Grinning with glee, he dives on Glyph, spearing the cat through the back with his trident, instantly ceasing its 'life' and ending Senna's connection.

    Down below, Melian - perhaps already shaken by pushing against the blinding spell - isn't able to brace against the sound burst. Caelyn and Bokono manage to fare better, and whether intentional or accidental, the sound doesn't reach Marie. Vala hops over Marie and streams past Caelyn, flower petals falling behind her as she targets the closest spellcasting with her spear, skewering them through the neck with no mercy, and ending any chance it might perform any further spellcasting.

    Sam's leap over the molten moat and dash through the ritual room seems to bait the chimera, who struggles against his bonds, finally pushing enough strength of mind to shatter the spell that wrapped around his mind and releasing him. He launches to his cloven feet, slamming his full form into the side of the hidden escape route that Sam disappeared through, roaring with anger and fury unrestrained. The impact alone pulls dust and stone from the ceiling and walls. Though it can't fit now, it looks to be making its goal to tear through the obstacle to reach its targets. Threatened by Sam's advance, the closest mage shifts slightly, unleashing a caustic blast of poisonous liquid across the half-dragon, though Sam's able to fight through it and suffers little from its effects.

    Spoiler: Map
    Show



    Melian deals 14 damage to Bula. Bula misses. Melian has disadvantage unless attacking Bula next turn.
    Melian made her save against Blind from Green.
    Red casts Shatter. Melian takes 12 thunder damage (15/34 remaining). Bokono and Caelyn both take 6 damage (Bokono: 4/30 remaining)
    Sam made his save against a spray of poison.
    Vala finishes off Green.

    JJ kills Glyph.

    The chimera finally breaks his chains and rams into walls. Despite the fluff, Sam's movement had nothing to do with it. It was just coincidental timing.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 24/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

    Caelee takes a moment to scruff the wolf's ears and whisper I'm sorry... in elvish before turning around, flames licking at the corners of her eyes. She steps forward, past Bokono, and falls in behind Melian. Lifting her stolen staff high, she stamps it against the ground and sends three searing beams of light at Bula. As the rays travel, the heat around the druid increases, and thin streams of lava begin to pour from the corners of her mouth. They would pay. They would all pay- for lying, for attempting to capture them, and for daring to attack her family. She yelled in druidic, and Bokono, barely holding on to this plane of existence, unleashes another salvo of flaming seeds.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Moving one square south of Bokono, east of Melian. Firing three scorching rays at Bula. To hit- (1d20+7)[21], (1d20+7)[12], (1d20+7)[21]. Damages- (2d6)[9], (2d6)[6], (2d6)[6]. And an extra (2d6)[11] if a crit happens. Bonus action to command Bokono, who will fire at Bula with fire seed. (1d20+5)[19] to hit and (1d6+3)[9] damage.
    The Bear is Back.

  23. - Top - End - #473
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)



    Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 24/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: -- | --

    A smouldering sphere of dark fire gathers in Sam's palm and he sweeps it in front of him across the room with an Infernal incantation, dousing the two mages in flame. Using the opening as they try to cover themselves from the gushing heat, he slips up between them, squaring off with the one now trapped in the room. "You're going to pay for what you did to those people," he tells the tattooed man, baring his teeth as the dying experiment's last wish to see his wife flash through his mind. After seeing the dwarven chimera, he has little doubt these are the mages responsible.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Cast Burning Hands on Red and Blue using 2nd level Warlock slot.
    Dex Save DC 14 for half damage
    Red: (1d20)[2]
    Blue: (1d20)[10]
    Damage: (4d6)[10] fire

    Then move 1 North, 1 Northwest, to the space between Red and Blue.


  24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: Light (on holy symbol), Spiritual Weapon (near Oke)
    Concentration: Bless (Vala, Sam and Senna)

    Senna saw her brother jump a lava vat and her sister rush straight into battle after pacifying a wolf. The cleric was angry about JJ, but the heat of the moment and the adrenaline let her keep her focus. She pushed past the confused wolf and her dead former master and into the fray, only to see Vala fight Bula. This needed some quick and concise damage.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile! (3d4+3)[12]
    Spiritual Weapon (1d20+7)[18] (1d8+4)[5]
    move 1 north of Caelyn if possible.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •