Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 20/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

Caelee holds her arm where the mantis carved into her, wincing in pain. She felt reassured that her younger sister would patch her up though. Thank you, Senna. I don't know if I could have withstood another blow, from the mantis or from the explosive liquid. It takes a good heart to care for your companion in the heat of battle. Or a loving sister. Reaching down, Caelee carefully grabbed Connor's body and dragged it over to the pit. Once they were done searching, she used all her might to roll him down with Tasha, then does the same with Alarick. Having piled their bodies on the bed of moss, she takes the time to use one of the dull shortswords to dig a small trench around the bodies. Sprinkling the hibiscus seeds she has gathered into the trench, she moved the sod and moss back over to hide the flower seeds and give them a good place to grow. You may want to step out of the cavern. It is going to get a bit... verdant in here in a moment. Taking up her wand, Caelee lifts both her hands above her head and begins to chant in Druidic, letting her arms drop and raise back up repeatedly. To an outside observer it might look like she was flapping her arms like a bird. But with each rise and fall of her arms, the chamber began to sprout and the plants began to grow.

First, roots from the plants above the chamber began to twist and grow, and as they did they dragged at the hole in the ceiling, widening it and allowing much more sunlight to filter down. Then the fungi on the walls of the chamber swelled and grew, with fresh clouds of spores entering the air and entire generations of mushrooms sprouting on the walls in a cascade effect. Then the moss underneath the bodies and skeletons began creeping up the corpses until the pit of death was completely shrouded in a layer of green, with grasses springing up in the new sunlight to effectively bury the dead. Lastly, the hibiscus flowers bloomed and spread so quickly that they covered the new mound, painting the burial sight with reds, oranges, and yellows. Caelee stops flapping her arms and looks over the overgrown cave with a smile. Then, taking the small snips and harvesting tools from her herbalism kit, she begins harvesting the hibiscus flowers, as well as any useful mushrooms that have grown on the walls, either for the cook pot later that night or for her own potion brewing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting plant growth on the chamber after planting the bodies and the hibiscus seeds. Think of it as a druid burial rite. Then harvesting any useful plants from the chamber once she is done. It's a 100 ft radius, so this entire cave system is now a massive garden, with super difficult terrain. 4 foot of movement for 1 foot of progression. Watch what you step on. For harvesting's sake Caelee rolls a (1d20+7)[9] on either medicine or survival.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-03-08 at 01:30 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 34/34
    PP: 14 PIv: 17 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

"When you say ‘baldie’, what do you mean? Is it folk like me - elves, humans and other humanoids - or something else?" Melian leans forward, curiosity obvious in her face.

When the faerie dragon mentions leaving, she gets a little sad. "If you wanted to you could travel with me and my siblings a while. You could see more of the world and the woods, we could benefit from your knowledge of the region. There would be more berries and snacks for you and I’m sure you would have plenty of opportunities to prank my family." She smiles, but it is somewhat bittersweet as she’s reminded of Vyvian and her pranks.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 21/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions:Freedom of Movement (1h)
    Concentration: -

The cleric ceases her divine wrath, taking a deep breath, flinching in pain as the mantis broke a few of her own ribs. Her druidic sister invoked the power of nature, enjoying the display until she finally cuts her short. I am still not sure if we as dignitaries of our two beliefs should become more extravagant or more practical with our use of our gifts. But that, she pauses to take in the scene once again. was a funeral befitting an archdruid.

As Caelyn comes requiring aid, her stoic expression returns from before as she pulls out her medic kit.You got clamped pretty bad there. You too, Vala. How do you do it? They got you worse than me, and you are still a picture of health. Senna locks eyes with the warrior woman. She was infatuated by strong people, and she was an artist too.

Still you could use some bandages too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vala and Cae heal for 13, Senna heals for 14.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 39/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: --- | --

The fight comes to an end, and Sam remains tense, expecting the mantis-beast to spring back up and be upon them again. But when it becomes clear that's not happening, he lets his tension drain out with a sigh of relief. He backs up out of the cave as Caelyn goes about her work, and takes a seat. "Um, before you bury them," he interrupts, a thought coming to mind, "Should we have Senna do that bell ringing thing to make one of them talk? Those were were-somethings, but definitely not wolves. We might want to ask if there are more, or if they're Malarites or stuff like that?"

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Cave Crew

Vala's distracted self takes a moment to snap back to reality, though she apparently heard enough of Senna's question that it doesn't need repeating. She's careful not to let Senna make skin-to-skin contact, considering what happened last time. "Eight hours sleep, hearty breakfast, positive mindset," she cracks back jovially, though the smile doesn't reach her eyes. Her expression seems to soften a bit with Caelyn's plant growth, just a tad. She lets her eyes rest on the newly-grown plantlife, and one of her hands idly fingers the holy symbol at her neck. Her lips part and shut as words approach being spoken before retreating back to her mind, then with a quiet voice she finally adds, "Maybe it's a blessing."

She doesn't give comment on Sam's suggestion, leaving it up to the rest of you to decide upon.

Spoiler: Caelyn Survival
    Show

Caelyn doubles up her hibiscus numbers from that survival roll. She also locates two Top and Bottom mushrooms.

Spoiler: Top and Bottom Mushrooms
    Show

A curious mushroom that grows a wide base along with a normal wide top, giving it something of a dumbbell shape before picking it. It's important to remember which side is the top after picking however.

If you consume a mushroom as an action from the bottom, you're affected by the Reduce spell for ten minutes. If you consume it from the top, you're affected by the Enlarge spell for ten minutes. You must eat the entire mushroom for it to take effect, and if you start with the stalk, it has no magical effect whatsoever, instead leaving you with a faint aftertaste of failure and disappointment.

Spell effects

Faeriedragon Friendship

"Melon put too much in thought on where people from." The faeriedragon says, a tiny condescending tone entering its voice, as if it's speaking conventional wisdom to someone who should know better. Perhaps it thought more of someone it only just met. "Doesn't matter if human or elf or gnome, matters is what they doing." It sniffs loudly, before continuing. "Baldies bald, which is why they're baldies. That all. Doing bad things in stones over there," it points to the north-east, in the direction of your destination. "Bad spells, taste like licking old people dreams when get near. See for self if want, I stay far away."

If nothing else it seems to ruminate a bit more over the offer to come with, but ultimately it shakes its head, "More fun following own path, would get bored of same faces every day, and Melon already got one dragon friend. Two would be greedy."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 20/39
    Concentrating on:

Watching Vala react to her spell makes Caelyn smile. Then she frowns, and the rope twined around her heart pinches again. Looking up at the chef and warrior, she resolves that it will be the last time. While she is gathering the hibiscus seeds, she also snips a few of the flowers. When she discovers the top and bottom mushrooms, she uses her magic to heat her scimitar until it is hot enough to sear the mushroom across it's cap, marking the correct end to eat first. That done, she approaches Vala, eyes slightly downturned.

Vala? May we speak? She falls in beside her while she leaves the decision to interrogate the dead to her other siblings. She had already made it known that she felt disdain for necromancy, but would tolerate it's use if Senna deemed it necessary. I wanted to apologize to you... when I first saw you... SOMEONE... she shoots Sam a dirty look. joked and said you were interested in my brother. That got me a bit defensive, and I was... quite drunk at the time... and I judged you, harshly and prematurely. And since you've been travelling with us you've done nothing but help and support me and my family in our quest, and each time I witnessed you being so selfless, it hurt me to think I treated you so badly initially. So, I want to say I'm sorry. Here... first she hands her the hibiscus flowers. When you fight... and those flower petals form a ring around your head... you look really dangerous and beautiful. Not that you don't look pretty normally... I mean... she sighs and takes a moment to collect herself. Anyway, I think these would look pretty in your hair. If you want, I can make them twine in the strands so they'll stay longer and live longer. I figure we don't have much time away from the bandits, but we might as well use that time to be ourselves, while we don't have to pretend. She takes a flower, puts it in her own hair, utters a cantrip, and the flower blooms, the stem growing slightly and securing it in her hair. See? And now for something far less silly and much more practical... She extends both hands, each one with a top and bottom mushroom in it. I think you'd make best use of these. If you eat them from the top down... and I've marked the top right here... you and your equipment will grow to the size of an ogre. It should help you hold the front line even better, and make you hit that much harder. But be careful. If you eat it any other way nothing will happen, or worse yet you'll shrink. It lasts for about ten minutes. I figure it might just be the boost you'll want when we take on the whole camp of bandits. I'd like to see the look on Tenhammer's face when you get big enough to step on him. She grins, and her smile comes with no small amount of hope that the gifts will be well received.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-03-08 at 06:17 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna looks at Sam. She was seeing some of Grepha's practicality in him these days, but she wasn't sure if a bound imp was the worst thing that could have happened to him. She was against fiends and their ilk, but so far Grepha played it slow. She would be ready when the imp was to enact her plans, but until then she could not be a hypocrite casting necromancy left and right while judging others for their diabology. Well, if Caelyn is alright with it? Their souls have not departed for their afterlives yet, if it is any consolation. I am not creating a facsimile of their last words, but rather speaking to them again.

She sees Caelyn slowly nod. Now for whom to choose... her glance checks the room. Oh gods. We forgot their prisoner. Senna drops her bells with a clank and rushes the feverish, possibly already dead man in the corner. Stay with us, STAY WITH US. Focus on my voice. Everything's gonna be alright. Caelyn? Care to lend me a hand? Lay him down, it makes his blood circulation much easier. LIVE! Her last word is infused with magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Healing Word on the dying guy in the back. (1d4+4)[7]
    Bandaging him (1d6+4)[10]+HD (I am unsure if that refers to my hit dice or his).

8. - Top - End - #368

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian laughs, her voice musical. "Of course the baldies are just bad bald people, I should have thought of that! Here I was overthinking your words." She shakes her head and makes a mental note to take more things at face value. Still, this conversation provided useful intelligence about threats in the area.

As the small dragon makes its mind to move one, Melian rummages through her pack once more and stands up, moving slightly closer to the faerie dragon, but stays a few feet back. "I understand walking your own path. I would argue that there is always room for more dragon friends, but we can be friends even apart, can't we?" She opens her hand and shows a large portion of fruit and nuts. "Please take these as a parting gift and I wish you well in your pranks. If you need help with anything, please find me. I'm sure Tilia can locate us since we carry her seeds." Melian holds out her hand, hoping the dragon will accept her gift straight from her hands.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Cave Crew

Vala's smile in response to Caelyn is warm, without reservation. "You don't need to say sorry for that, s'not really a big deal you know but if it makes you feel better then, sure, apology accepted." She's careful when taking the flowers, but slips up when taking the mushrooms, and for a moment her finger taps Caelyn's. The response from Vala is immediate, with her entire arm recoiling as if snapped back by some otherworldly force. Her hand tightens, not into a fist but it curls up on itself regardless. "Guess it's my turn to apologise," she adds, a flush of pink rising into her cheeks. "Thank you for the mushrooms, I'll make sure they're put to good use." She finishes with another earnest smile, there's no deception there, just pushing past the moment of embarassment.

Spoiler: Caelyn
    Show

When your hand brushes Vala's on the handover of the mushrooms, just once, a feeling of kinship spreads through you, as if Vala is someone who can understand you - and your siblings - on a level beyond the purely physical, as if they are spiritually associated to you. Almost as if she is a sibling. The sudden rush of this feeling gives you a distinct reminder of the dreams that have been plagueing you and yours, like it's from you but simultaneously not. The feeling dissipates not long after the skin contact is broken.

Senna's spell fizzles before it can even begin to wrap Alarick in its magic. There's no life force for the divine word to latch onto, nor any work for her bandages to do at this stage. Blood is still seeping, but only due to gravity, rather than any heartbeat. The man (if indeed he was 'just' a man) has died, and his soul passed on to whatever afterlife awaits him.

Faeriedragon Friendship

The faeriedragon tiptoes closer on pointed claws, snatching bits of food from Melian's hand one at a time, which makes it slow going, but each snatch is done with remarkable speed, clearly still on guard that you might close your hand in its claw at any point. It exhales a cloud of blue gas happily after snacking down on another berry. "Trouble you make is best trouble there can be," it replies ambiguously between burps, "am sure Melon made enough trouble of own to deal with?" A conspiratorial giggle emerges from its throat. "Fighting big sad bandits and baldies, where Melon find time?"

Spoiler: 'Melon' Knowledge - DC10 arcana/history (with advantage because of proficient in both) due to lack of additional details
    Show

Bald mages doesn't narrow it down much, since many spellcasters choose to do away with their hair for a variety of reasons (though most common is not wanting it to burn off due to errant fireballs).

The Red Wizards of Thay are the most obvious and well known for shaving their heads (or being bald, or both), but there's at least a dozen other guilds or groups that might fit the criteria, including the Sisterhood of the Bare Mind, the Reviiites, and certain factions in the Arcane Brotherhood of Luskan. Without more information any guess would be premature.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

The experience of coming too late was all-to familiar for Senna. Without a heartbeat, she runs back and tolls a larger bell, targetted at Alarick. It tolls again and again, and a grey mist gathers in the now very green cove. It circles Alarick's corpse, and with another bell's toll, it rushes down into the dead man's orifices, shaking him awake. He still leans onto the wall, halfdead and unmoving, as his eyes open. They are filled with the same grey vapor, replacing the eyes, pupils and irises. The eyes transfix Senna and then her bell.

Calmly, Senna explains the spell to the others. The others are our enemies and would rather misguide us with false informations. He however showed no hostility. The spell holds for a little less than a quarter of an hour, though the link to the deceased is frail and allows for only five questions in total. It is compelled to answer, but not truthfully and might lie. I may invoke Deneir's insight to see through potential lies but we cannot know for sure. Collect the questions, let us discuss them and then we ask them. Once I utter a question, it is deigned to target this poor soul.

11. - Top - End - #371

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Sam's eyes fall upon Conner's body, still in the shape of a giant mantis. Mantis-scorpion. It's not like he knows anything much about lycanthropy, really. But he's at least aware that, "They're not werewolves. I'm not really sure what they are. I think we should try to figure that out. Where they came from, what they are, if there are more?" he suggests uncertainly. There's a curiosity plaguing him, with how strange the werecreatures were, even if making the dead talk is still really macabre.

"The bear woman had runes all over her. What if there's a wizard experimenting on people out here? Or the Malarites are making new werecreatures?" he suggests, voicing one of his suspicions and worries.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-03-09 at 04:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 33/39
    Concentrating on:

Caelee yanks her hand back, but then against all odds feels her hand reaching out again. Once at Candlekeep she had touched a monk's experiment when told explicitly not to, and she had received a nasty shock. As bad as that felt, this felt good. She looked at Vala with new eyes, slightly awed. You... you really are one of us now, aren't you? She spoke quietly enough that only Vala could hear her. Then she shook herself, pulled back her hand, and gave Vala an embarrassed smile. Her cheeks were red with blush as well. Then Senna's casting drew her attention, and her lip curled in revulsion. I'm going to go check on Melian and Rosc Roche. These woods are not safe. Struggling through the sheer mass of the plants and fungi of the tunnel, Caelee began to make her way up and out of the cave, seeking her older sister.
    The Bear is Back.

13. - Top - End - #373

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

The wizard resists the urge to close her hand as the faerie dragon snatches berries and nuts, patiently holding it open and enjoying the company. "I imagine I find the time to fight evil much like you find time for your pranks and for playing. We make time for what is important, no?" She winks at the dragon before continuing. "These baldies, do any sport tattoos? Do they dress in red? How many are there?"

Show
    Rolled a 25 on Discord.
    At this point, could Melian find the way to the Baldies? Is it the same ruins/complex we're headed to?

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Faeriedragon Friendship

"Mm, some. Arrows and lightning and fire and skulls and all sorts." The faeriedragon continues. "Didn't pay too much attention to clothes, si-" It stops midsentence, tiny ears fluttering with alertness. Then, with a no sadness, simply adds "Time to go." It flutters up close to Melian for the first time invading her personal space and licks her nose, before flying off giggling into the treeline and disappears. It has left behind the pile of food offered on the ground, only half-eaten. When Caelyn emerges from the hole beneath the tree, she finds her sister alone - her face covered in a scattershot map of blue and pink polka dots.

Show

To the best of your knowledge, baldie ruins and the ruins the bandits want you to clear are the same. They're in the same direction, at least.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions:Freedom of Movement (1h), Speak with Dead

The Deneirite accepts her drudic sister's departure in lieu of not wanting to sit through a channeling of the dead.

Senna scratches her chin and shakes the head at some questions. The dead's connection to our realm is fading, their minds in the process of dispersing. We need simple and concise questions, probably more than a few with options of yes and no. but we might try a few more difficult ones.

She pauses and collects her thoughts. Suddenly, her eyes are filled with the same pale blue magic of the bells. She asks her questions slowly and precisely, allowing for pauses between each for a concise answer.
    Are you three affiliated with the Beast Lord Malar?
    What is your standing with the Bandits of the Chill and the Blacktalons if you know them at all?
    Why were Tasha and Connor such extraordinary beasts?
    Who were you and why where you in here with these two people?

With a shakey voice, Senna adds the last question.

And tell me, what is your last wish?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Cave Crew

Vala watches quietly - it's the first time she's seen you do this, after all, but she refrains from any sort of comment. As the cold blue light of the magic swirls around Alarick's body it twitches, the semblance of unlife picking at the edges of the corpse. His eyes spring open, gleaming with the magic like a torch has been placed behind the eyesockets. His mouth falls open, and the chill wind of death's grip flows through the cavern around you as it responds to each question in turn. There's no hint of humanity in its words, each one punctuated with the raspy scrape of the words being dragged from the afterlife.

"DON'T. KNOW. MALAR."

"BANDITS. MEAT. ENEMIES."

"WE. WERE. EXPERIMENTS. TESTS. TOOLS. WEAPONS."

"HIDING. FROM. MERCENARIES."

"I. WANT. TO. SEE. MY. WIFE."

The last word hangs in the air for just a moment as the magic is expended and the light dims once more. There's no grief or sadness, or really any emotion there, but nor was there from any of the other questions. Such feelings, it seems, are beyond the spell's ability to convey. Alarick's eyes droop shut, though his mouth remains open. There's no ring on his fingers that you can see, though considering his state of dress that might not mean much of anything. Vala exhales slowly, but pointedly, from the back of the cave. "So there could be more of them." It's not a question, just a cautionary statement.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #377

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Sam looks upon the body with mixed sympathy. They'd been eating people - bandits, maybe, but people. But his worst suspicions were confirmed, and these people were experiments, weaponized by what he assumes to be some crazed wizard. What bloodthirst and wildness overtook their minds may have been a part of that.

"Vala's right, we should be careful. Not only for more of these... 'experiments'," he speaks the word with both audible and visible distaste, "There were mercenaries chasing them too sounds like."

Not wanting to linger in this place, Sam turns to follow Caelyn out.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna closes the deceased's eyes. [COLOR="#FF8C00"]It is too early to draw conclusions and while being able to magic up some vile beasts is sadly not a talent just a few possess, but my immediate thought falls to Venkt, as baseless as the assumption might be. We should keep our wits about us. [/QUOTE]

She turns to Sam and hugs him. Thank you for staying. I don't enjoy the cold art of necromancy much but these insights help, even if they disturb our sense of morality a bit. Sometimes I feel our order is too detached from reality, mired in songs and poems, to really appreciate practicality. Caelyn is a bit too zealously against anything opposing the flow of life, and I feel while natural for a mage, Melian is too methodical.

Senna smiles a tired smile, enhanced by her dirty and bloodied face. Let us be off then. Leave the dead, and join the living.

19. - Top - End - #379

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Putting on his typical smile, Sam reaches down and pats Senna on the shoulder as she hugs him from the side, mid-turn. "I guess it just doesn't seem as bad, you know. As the usual kind of necromancy you hear about I mean. Like the stuff in the Nashkel mines." The edges of his smile fade a little, making it look more forced, as he thinks back on the rotten mine and the restless dead therein. It's often been that way these days. "If we never used it, we might have gone on thinking these people were bloodthirsty were-beasts. Never realizing they might have been victims themselves. Now that we know, we can do something about it. Make sure no one else ends up this way."

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn looks from the small pile of food on the ground to Melian's spotted face, her confusion only growing. Rosc Roche seemed fine and showed no signs of distress, so she didn't think anything TOO terrible could have occurred while she was gone. She shoots Melian and slightly suspicious look and asks Is everything all right, sister? You missed a battle with some shapechanging abominations. Sam and Senna are down there interrogating the dead... and you have colorful spots all over your face. Did you eat a mushroom without asking me about it first?
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna sighs deeply. She knows what her brother is referring to. I know I am probably diving too much into semantics, but any school of magic ending with '-mancy' is technically a divination first and foremost. Necromancy is talking to the dead, Pyromancy speaks to the spirits of the plane of fire.

The redhead visibly relaxes being pulled into her more comfortable field. Arguing grammar, syntax and proper categorization of magic. Her stroll out of the cave is enjoyable. ...so you realize by that definition illusion is by far the most evil of schools. She is greeted with the sight of a dotted Melian talking to another faerie dragon and a flabbergasted Caelyn.

She sees that Melian is not in discomfort and thus doesn't immediately react to her sister's "poisoning". An elf would react quicker to poison. she answers Caelyn. See, that is what I mean by saying illusion is evil. Senna smiles.

22. - Top - End - #382

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

Melian watches with a tinge of sadness as the faerie dragon flies away. Fëanáro gets up, stretches from his brief nap, and hops over to the remaining nuts and fruit, methodically snacking.

Hearing her sister, Melian turns to face Caelyn, confusion (and colorful spots) visible on her face. She then rubs her arm on cheek and, seeing the color there, giggles loudly for a moment. "That little scamp," she says with a wry chuckle. "No mushrooms, Caelyn. I just had a lovely chat with a Faerie Dragon. I wish you had the chance to meet it, but it seems happy to depart before anybody else showed up."

The wizard magics away the colorful spots while speaking. "Long story short, the little scamp kept me company and informed me that there is a group of spellcasters of some sort - alongside their support crew - at what more likely than not the ruins we're headed to. I suspect they may be Red Wizards of Thay but other groups may fit the description."

After a moment the rest of what Caelyn said hits her. "Shapechangers? Is everyone ok?"

23. - Top - End - #383

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Sam scoffs as he and Senna emerge from the cave. "Illusion isn't any more evil than telling a lie though. I'd say Enchantment is the easiest to do evil with," he posits himself, thinking back to what the town guard had told him after he'd used Suggestion to try and coerce Kagain. Sam looks up at the sky above thoughtfully. "Being able to tell someone what they think like that... I'm not so sure it's a power I want any more."

Once reunited with Melian, he walks over and laughs jovially at the sight of her face. "They sure did a number on you. But we're okay." Taking on a more serious face again, he explains, "They were eating the bandits. We thought they were werewolves at first, but they were all kinds of weird creatures. Some kind of experimental living weapons. Do you think the Red Wizards did it?"

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Lifting her arm to show her fresh bandages from Senna's tending, then shoots her younger sister an appreciative glance. Nothing we couldn't handle. Though I did exhaust most of my spells for the day. I'd suggest a night of camping before we deal with the ruins. And... since we just happen to clear it of threats... then she shakes her head in disgust and turns away from the hole. Nevermind. I don't think we really want to sleep by the bodies... why not find a nicer area to settle down in? Preferably nowhere near a dragon? Present company excepted, Sam. She smirks at her brother. Oh, and I've doubled our hibiscus solution to our bandit problem. I plan on looking for something more... definite... tomorrow.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-03-13 at 12:25 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions: Freedom of Movement (1h)

We do have quite a few magical options left. But I guess my little sister does not feel safe when she cannot explode the enemy. Melian still can tho. And I can still do much. Sam has not used bigger things, and I am unsure I want to camp in a forest with magical beasts, werewolves, shadow druids and Red Wizards. Senna ribs her sister but she would look much MUCH worse without the explosion to start off the fight.

If we pause however, I may be able to tell the Flaming Fist where the bandit camp is currently, and patch us up fully. I guess I should do the former regardless. Caelyn? would you be able to condense down the location of the camp into 25 words or less?

26. - Top - End - #386

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"I wouldn't want to leave a bunch of evil wizards to keep doing rituals in the woods for another night. How about I heal a few more wounds, and then we take a small breather?" Sam suggests, looking back towards the cave under the tree. "The former bandit camp in there isn't too much of a mess." He looks over the others, to figure who's the most injured.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee sighs when the debate on whether to rest starts going against her. She wondered if she'd been a bit to free with her spells today, but shrugged that thought off. Each spell she cast helped the group in some way, even if it was a small one. I suppose the cave is the most convenient place. Rosc Roche and I will stand watch outside . That is, assuming Melian doesn't want to keep sitting my baby boy... She sends a cheeky smile her older sister's way, then gives Senna an affectionate shove for her sarcastic comments.
    The Bear is Back.

28. - Top - End - #388

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

The wizard relaxes as it becomes apparent her siblings and Vala are mostly unharmed. Her brow is still furrowed in thought. "The Red Wizards often specialize in the Arcane schools and have a history of experimenting with Transmutation. Perhaps these creatures you fought are some of them?" The question is addressed to no one in particular.

She breathes in the clear forest air in an effort to dispel her own musings and worries. "A small break is likely a good idea, though I am frankly more than well-rested. I can stand guard as well, Caelyn. Who knows, maybe another faerie dragon will visit us? Not that Rosc Roche isn't fascinating company, of course." She gives her sister a wink.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions: Freedom of Movement (1h)

The Red Wizards would try to create monster armies and servants, that is right. But they are also a political and mercantile influence on the region, and as I see it, not having horrendous werebeast monsters could increase their trading partner's opinion of them. Senna sighs. Still, there is a faction poisoning the iron in mines around town while creating a tiny army of undead underground, so maybe looking to villains for logical plans is not the most sound thing to do.

Senna slumps down on the floor, a bit exhausted. The mantis dislocated her shoulder, and some of the pain is slowly coming back. She would require someone strong to push it in again, now that the adrenaline has almost ceased and even the pain killing salves begin to loose their grip.

Spoiler
    Show
    Short rest (2d8+4)[14]

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Your momentary rest goes uninterrupted and unimpeded, thankfully. No more wandering werebeasts, no bandits, but on the other hand no friendly fey or faerie-dragons. Vala spends the time quietly whipping up a small berry medley from things Caelyn has noted along the way, dishing them out to the party as a sweet afternoon snack (popping outside to hand out Caelyn's). Despite spending her 'rest' working on food, she seems more energetic by the time you're all done.

Show

Short rest get.

With more time to inspect the small obelisk noted earlier, it appears to be some sort of enchanted heat-stone, which from now on I'm going to call the "Hot Obelisk".

Spoiler: Hot Obelisk
    Show

By speaking the command word as an action you can make this tiny rock give off heat equal to a campfire, though without the need for fuel or worry about smoke/light. It can be deactivated in the same manner.

You can also, as an action, choose to throw the Hot Obelisk at a point within 30', causing it to explode with a 10' radius sphere for 4d8 fire damage, or half as much on a successful dexterity save. Doing so destroys the Hot Obelisk.

Vala's going to blow a hit dice, healing for (1d12+3)[7] + (1d8)[4] from chef. She'll be near topped off. Probably. Unless I roll real bad, in which case I'll probably blow a second one.
    Edit: 65/66 after that, so yeah, near topped off. I'll leave it there.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-03-17 at 07:44 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC