New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 39/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

Heading over to Rosc Roche, the druid spends her time alternating between asking her older sister all about her encounter with the fairy dragon and wistfully wishing she had been the one to stay outside while she brushed, cleaned, and spoiled Rosc Roche. It had been a tough journey for the horse, and it would probably get tougher still. She grabbed some molasses strapped oats from the back of the wagon and let him eat his fill. And, just for a moment, she remembered her first pet, feeling a tight pinch of pain in her heart. When Vala interrupted this feeling with a serving of food, she happily used it as a distraction. Thank you, Vala. This is a treat. She gave the chef a big smile, but when the hand off of food took place she had to resist a strong urge to reach out and grab Vala. She wanted to feel that... oneness again. Instead, her cheeks blushed red and she turned away quickly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm going to see if I can get away with spending only 1 HD. (1d8+2)[10] from HD and (1d8)[8] from chef.

Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-03-17 at 11:45 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

With your rest concluded and bellies filled you're back on the path, navigating a thin trail winding through the forest. Wildflowers (though not ones of any notable medicinal/poison use) are frequently spotted growing in patches, including at one point where the trees fall away to a vast open field of them. Uncountable shades of red, yellow, and blue encompass your vision, a fresh sight to you all, and Vala doesn't suppress her gasp of wonder. Were the press of time not weighing on your shoulders (and the imminent danger that the woods pose in general) it might be a pleasant place to spend an afternoon lazing under the sun surrounded by the buzz of bees and the rustling of trees.

You soon leave the wildflower field behind you though, and it's back to greenery overhead and underfoot and brown bark all around. At one point you hear a great roar, and through the gaps in the treetops spot a dragon (or dragon-like creature) silhouetted against the sun's light flying far, far out of range, though it disappears back out of sight almost as quickly as you see it. It's late afternoon when you begin to approach the ruins, and even those not paying much attention to their surroundings would be easily able to notice a change in the foliage.

The green gives way to more brown, the trees to spiked thorns, the dirt to sheer rock. The pristine nature of the forest seems almost occluded here, and Caelyn specifically can feel its absence beneath her feet. The lack of trees does give you a bit more in the way of sightlines though. Raised rocks keep the entrance from your sight to begin with, but you can see ruined stone walls - grey stones once strong and now in clear disrepair - standing against a backdrop of more rock and thorns. The dusty dirt path rounds a corner and you immediately spot what looks to be a man on high alert (perhaps tipped off by Rosc Roche's cart wheels) some 40 feet away. He's stood at what could only be the ruined entranceway to the building, which you can see now is perhaps 60' wide, and just as long. Towers appear to have once been built at the two closest corners to you, though they've since collapsed, and any floors above the ground are little more than dust and memory now. The ground floor walls are still mostly standing, so you can't see far into the building itself despite the lack of a front door, and there's no one else in sight, but Caelyn does pick up the sound of a fire crackling inside.

The guard is well-dressed, considering the area. A neatly tailored suit of whites and dark blues. Shining platinum hair gleaming in the sun is brushed to perfection, with a small length tied off into a ponytail. Tanned skin contrasts gleaming gold eyes. Pointed ears complete his appearance, marking him as having at least some elven blood, though the hair and eyes suggest some other ancestry also. Though he doesn't point the crossbow at you, he does shift it slightly when he speaks up. "Ho there ladies and...ah...dragon-man," he calls in a friendly tone, stumbling only slightly on how best to address or refer to Sam. "I'd ask you to just hold there while we do introductions. Never know who's wandering these woods, can't be too careful, you understand."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 39/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: --- | --

Passing from the brilliant, vibrant fields of flowers into the wretched briar surrounding the ruins sends a chill through Sam, as he considers the ominous and oppressive landscape. Whether it was chosen for those qualities, or some dark magic is at work here, he doesn't know. But it puts him on edge as they approach. The visible dragon in the sky not long ago helps none.

The man that greets them is not so dire and grey as the landscape, nor are his clothes red - as Sam would assume from a Red Wizard, even though he's never met one. When the man readies his crossbow, Sam casually makes a shrugging motion with his open palms, keeping them away from weapons, all the while knowing he need only point. "True enough. Just poking around some old ruins, doing a bit of treasure hunting," Sam half-fibs. "You can call me Sam. Suppose you're here for the same reason, group picked up dibs on the ruins already?" he probes, mirroring the man's friendly tone.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Diplmacy and Deception are the same mod, whichever you feel is more fitting.
    (1d20+4)[6]
    Insight
    (1d20+2)[6]

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Seeing Sam's confused approach to the man, Senna quickly comes to his aid. While charm was not her strong suit, semantics and especially rhetoric was. Well, not exactly, but she remembered the verbose owner of her tabard. What my friend here wanted to say was, we were looking for signs of unrest here. People from around the area told us, there was chanting and all kinds of nasty magics going around, so we were sent to check on the area.

Senna smiles and touches her own tabard. By Deneir's grace she says with her words clearly carrying some magic. Where are my manners. I am Senna, glyphscribe of Deneir. I am here to keep our ragtag team together as well as to find out about potential arcanists or other spellcasting in the area. She takes a deep bow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating the tabard to get proficient in Persuasion myself, then casting Guidance on myself:
    (1d20+3)[16] + (1d4)[3]

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

It's hard not to see the flash of skepticism race across the young man's face at the differing explanations of Sam and Senna, but whatever concerns he has he seems to wave off. "Well Sam's got the right of it for us anyway, me and the crew I'm with are treasure hunters, been trying to make our way down below to see what we can dig up. Sounds you guys hear were probably us, use 'em as a way to keep people away from our claims." He gives a soft, well-meaning chuckle. "Might've had the opposite effect in this case. Ah well." He looks over you all again, perhaps noting your weapons - Melian's blade and Vala's spear especially. "We've...actually been having some trouble making progress down below, bit tougher than we thought it'd be so it's been slow going. If you can pull your weight we'll offer you a fair share of the loot. Ah, but I should give my name too, apologies. I'm Okenar, though just Oke usually."

Spoiler: OOC Pronunciation
    Show

Okenar=Oak-un-arr
    Oke=Oak
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions: -

Senna nods at Sam and proceeds. We are the perfect support team for a bunch of hardy treasure hunters. We do focus on the finer arts. Well, except my friend here of course. Senna pats Vala's back, only now realizing how broad and strong her shoulders actually are. Her approach is more practical in nature.

Well now, let us see, what your issues are.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

"We're not heading down again tonight, but you should meet the rest of the team. Word of advice before you do though, keep any spells uncast - J.J. can respond...poorly." Oke sounds a little exasperated, but it's covered up mostly by his easy smile as he beckons you in. "You guys go ahead," Vala adds, nodding towards the ruined doorway that is too small to fit horse and cart through. "I'll stay with Rosc Roche, just yell if you need me."

You hear the crackling of a campfire before you see it, and it's barely a dozen steps past the walls into the ruins before you turn a corner to see the rest of Oke's group sat around the flames on makeshift seats of rock and wood, covered with whatever soft cloth they have - some of it scavenged, by the looks of it. Closest is a scaled humanoid, though distinctly different to Sam. More lean and lacking the telltale draconic horns. Instead it has the finplume adorning its head of a lizardfolk. Aside from a length of rope across his chest, he wears no other clothing. A trident sits by his side as he bites into a piece of raw, still bloody animal. A rabbit most likely, given the size of its bones and the white fur speckled with red. The lizardman looks up at Oke for a moment, his thin yellow eye scouring your group before returning to focusing on its meal. To the lizard's side is a figure clad entirely in full plate from head to toe. A red horsehair plume runs down the centre of their helm from front to back, and matches the scarlet cloak that blows gently in the wind though there's no other markers or sigils of affiliation. It's difficult to tell race or gender behind the metal that conceals them from view, but from their size they're probably at least as tall as Sam. A flail sits at their belt and a shield nearby, still in reach. Continuing from the armoured individual is a large black-furred wolf snoozing softly by the fire. A leather riding harness is pushed up against the ruined wall, clearly well worn from use. Finally, back pressed up against the snoozing wolf, is a male goblin, who seems to take the most interest in your party, looking up from his mortar and pestle with a quizzical, and not particularly friendly glare. "Who's this then?"

"New friends, perhaps." Oke replies back with a smile and a flourish. "They've offered to help us go below tomorrow to get more treasure, but we should probably do introductions first." He gestures to each of them in turn, starting with the lizardfolk. "This is J.J., our frontline vanguard. To his side is Bula, our commander - she doesn't say much, don't worry if you don't understand her. The snoozing wolf is Marie, and finally we've got Gazgazgaz. He's our alchemist, keeps us in tip-top shape." Gazgazgaz snorts a little at his introduction but doesn't give further comment. J.J. offers a small, dismissive wave as he continues to chew his rabbit, while Bula merely grunts - a deep, throaty grunt that echoes from her helmet. Oke leans over and stage-whispers to you with a wink, "Bula said 'Hello'," before gesturing for you all to introduce yourself.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions: Knowledge of Ages (Persuasion; 50ish minutes)

Senna looks around. A younger and less experienced Senna would have been surprised, or outright scared by the eclectic collection of personalities in front of her. The cleric now however was more calm with the various types one would meet on an adventuring journey. But these people were still; well; extraordinary.

I am Senna, this is Sam. Caelyn. Melian. We are all users of the Weave, so J.J. over there should not be surprised to see some magic.

We command nature, the arcane, the divine and uh...a creative mix.
    She ends with pointing at Sam again, then adds a bit directly towards the lizardperson.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    We are weavers of magic. I hope this is acceptable to you, we are of little use without it.

9. - Top - End - #399

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

As Senna cuts in with a more honest explanation, Sam shrugs at Oke's uncertain look. "Sorry. We were expecting some weird cultists, I was just trying to gauge things," he admits. Dropping his raised hands to hook his thumbs into his belt, Sam strolls casually along with the others. He nods to Vala as she stays back to keep watch at the entrance.

The odd bunch in front of them almost makes his own group seem normal, and Sam looks them over curiously one by one. "That's me, I'm Sam," he chimes in as Senna makes introductions. "Nice to meet'cha guys. Anybody feel like a round of cards?" he asks, wasting no time in breaking the ice.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

The lizardfolk hisses at Senna's words, tossing the remains of his rabbit to the sleeping Marie as he reaches for his trident. "Ssssspellcasterssss," his tongue flicks out over scaled lips, disdain in his voice, but Oke is faster on the draw, slipping in front of Senna and patting J.J.'s thick muscled shoulder to placate the man. "Now now, no need for that, friends are friends. It's just about time for watch change anyway, how about you take the next one?" J.J. looks at Senna, disdain in his eyes, then to Oke, then back to Senna, then huffs, scooping up his trident and stomping away.
    "He's really very nice when you get to know him." Oke says, though his smile has stopped reaching his eyes, and there's just a little hint of tiredness about the situation.

Bula grunts at the offer of cards from Sam, and Gazgazgaz sets down his morta and pestle with a sigh. "Yeh yeh fine fine, not like I'll get any real work done with distractions anyways," the goblin mutters with annoyance, though in apparent agreement with the quiet commander. There's enough small rocks piled around that you can easily make seats for yourself, though how much difference they make to the stone floor isn't clear. Oke takes J.J.'s now vacant seats and gestures for Sam to deal at his leisure.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions: Knowledge of Ages (Persuasion; 50ish minutes)

All it took was a massive scaled fist to scare little Senna back into her natural habitat. That of a meek book worm. Cold sweat formed on her forehead, as she hesitated for a good minute. Then she approached them again, with the trembling voice of someone equal amounts annoyed and scared.

Listen to me, and listen well, lizard. I do not know your people's backwards ways, nor do I want your approval. But listen to this. If you respect strength, then know there is boundless power in the divine and arcane. It may scare you, but it is the way we do things. Your society may revolve around who is the biggest and strongest, but you are not home anymore. I am sure the tiny goblin over there saved your scaly hide more often than not. And you know why he is so skilled? Because he uses his intellect and his hands to create something greater than him.

Magic is the same thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charisma check to convince the lizardfolk (1d20)[1]+3 if it is Persuasion and not seen as some form of intimidation.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn left Rosc Roche and Vala with a wave to both. lingering in the doorway for a few moments to watch the two of them before continuing down the stairs with a sigh. When Oke introduced his... eclectic party, she took a seat down on one of the stones and kept silent. These people were treasure hunters at best... and who knew what at worst. She would try not to judge them based on their heritages, but she couldn't help but be suspicious. While Senna spoke to the lizardfolk and Sam began dealing cards, Caelee nervously stood. I think I'll wait outside with Vala and Rosc Roche. I trust my friends to represent my interests. When you all are ready to go treasure hunting, let me know. That said, she stands and heads outside.
    The Bear is Back.

13. - Top - End - #403

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Taking out his deck of cards, Sam begins shuffling and asks the gathered treasure hunters, "What are we feeling? Talis, poker, caravan-" he asks, before cutting himself off when he sees Senna start walking towards 'J.J.' with that telltale look in his eyes. He sets the deck of cards in front of Oke and quickly spins up off of the stone he'd been using as a seat. "Youdealgottago."

With his long legs, Sam strides to catch up with Senna and place a hand over her mouth before she can get going, dragging her back from the confrontation. "Do not start lecturing strangers," he hisses. Then he looks at the lizardman and apologizes, "Sorry."

Show
    Dex save to stop Senna from talking before she says too much?
    (1d20+1)[8]

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

"No one knows the rules to Caravan, and anyone who says they do is a liar." Oke offers pleasantly to Sam's retreating back as he dishes out cards for poker to any who remain - which at this point looks to be solely Melian and the three hunters minus J.J. He does, however, dish out two extra cards for Sam, with the apparent expectation of a return beforelong.

J.J. rounds on Senna, pure rage filling his eyes as his clawed hand shoots forward to wrap around her throat. He would have done so as well, had Sam not stepped up to intervene. It's only a moment to regain his thoughts, and perhaps only because of the other treasure hunter's presence, that he backs down. Without the interruption there's little doubt in anyone's mind that the grip would have throttled her. "Alwaysss with the talking," J.J. hisses. "Bleating, like fat sheep." A grunt from Bula, muffled only slightly by distance, is enough to keep him from saying anything more, though it's clear from his inflections he had many more colourful things on his mind.

Outside, Vala is quietly stood against the cart and Rosc Roche, a good 50 feet away from the building to let the horse snack on some grass, since there doesn't seem to be any growing near the building itself. "That was fast. Something up?" It's asked in a voice that's part-concern and part-joking, as if something really was the matter there'd probably be a bit more haste and yelling in everyone's actions.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions: Knowledge of Ages (Persuasion; 40ish minutes)

Being flabbergasted after dodging the lizardman's claw with Sam's aid, the cleric collects her faculties. I will not share this cave with this, this...thing. she states, stomping outside.

Once there, she drops her things and unpacks her bells, dabbling with them in the vicinity.

16. - Top - End - #406

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Watching Senna go with a mix of concern and, once again, irritation, Sam turns and walks back to the improvised card table to take a look at his hand with a sigh. "I'm sorry about her. She has the frustrating combination of knowing nothing about people and thinking she knows everything because she read it in a book."

17. - Top - End - #407
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 34/34
    PP: 14 PIv: 17 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

Melian follows along as the group makes its way to the ruins. There's a distinct feeling of loss as the woods lose their luster and the ruins come into view. She watches in silence as her siblings make introductions and takes a deep breath, counting to ten, before intervening when Senna antagonizes the lizardman, also making a mental note to ask her sister to not tell everyone they come across what everyone's abilities may be. She shakes her head and takes up the cards as Oke deals them.

She looks at the cards somewhat quizzically. When Sam sits down again, she says softly "Books are useful things. Though right now I wish I had read a few on card games. Anyone care to explain this to me?"

Show
    So many questions:
    1. Is anyone bald here aside from lizardman who is really more "scaly" than "bald" from what I can tell?
    2. Any idea on where these people are from or their cultures/background?
    3. Any info on what these ruins are? What culture, purpose, how old, that sort of thing.

Preemptive rolls:
    • History: (1d20+7)[26]
    • Investigation: (1d20+7)[27]
    • Insight: (1d20+1)[20]

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

"Well as long as they don't actually come to blows I'm sure it's fine, don't need to be friendly as long as we all get rich right?" Oke fires back to Sam, staying ever positive. "Gazgazgaz, would you like to explain the rules?" "No." "Please." There's a hint of strain in the handsome man's voice, and the goblin sighs, rattling off the basic rules of the game with practiced familiarity, though his tone leaves something to be desired. Bula (continues to) say nothing as the game begins.

Spoiler: Melian Knowledge
    Show

1. No one here is strictly bald - at least not that you can see. J.J. has no hair, but he's scaled. Okethar has a luscious set of locks. Gazgazgaz's dirty brown hair is disheveled and pulled back into a greasy knot. Bula is the only 'wild card' since you don't know what she looks like underneath all that armour, but she doesn't exactly dress like a wizard, even if her cloak happens to be red.

2. Okethar's probably an elf-blooded aasimar, given his ears and eyes. His clothes look like they originate from the Sword Coast, and his tan skin means he's either not from around here or he just gets a lot of sunlight (which, for a treasure hunter on the move, isn't surprising).
    Bula's armour is unremarkable. The red horsehair plume on her helm is only notable in that it's probably misdirection - roughly a decade ago a mercenary company called the Red Plumes was formed in Hillsfar, a city that sits on the coast of the Moonsea, and they were named for their helmet plumes. However, the company (and city) was strictly human-supremacist, with no other races allowed. Given Bula's size, it seems unlikely she is human, and so the connection to the Red Plumes is tenuous at best. She may even have killed one and taken the helm for herself.
    You don't know enough about goblin tribes to get any real read on where Gazgazgaz is from. His Common accent is a bit northern, but that could just be where he learned it.
    J.J.'s a complete anomaly. Lizardfolk aren't common at all in this area, so he's almost certainly from far away. Chult is the closest hotbed of Lizardfolk, though those in the Vilhon Reach near Turmish aren't that much further away either. Given the time differences for traveling by water and by land, Chult is the more likely of the two.

3. The ruins are at least a half-millennia old, possibly older still, and likely only still standing due to lack of use. Time and weather it's what's worn at them, but the odd lack of natural growth surrounding it has kept it from being reclaimed totally by the forest. They're not elven most likely, lacking any telltale signs of elven architecture, and are more likely built by humans or dwarves given the stonework. The turrets may have been defensive or ornamental, so it's hard to tell if this was some sort of outpost, a manor house, or some governmental building just from the surface level of what you can see. There's no visible scars of battle or ruin that tore the building down.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #409

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Watching the interactions between Oke and Gazgazgaz, Sam can't help but see reflected their own groups frequent dysfunctions. A knowing glance at Melian communicates the mirror he sees before them. "Have I never taught you to play poker, Mel? Shame on me," he jests, getting back into the game.

As they play, he tries to make some conversation with the mouthpiece of this other group. "How'd you all end up working together?" he asks Oke.

Show
    Intelligence in Discord.

Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-03-21 at 11:51 AM.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Sam is playing cards and schmoozing, Melian is joining in, and Senna is... debating with a lizardman. You can imagine how that turned out. I... don't feel like socializing with these people. Not tonight, at least. I prefer to see them work alongside us. People lie, but actions speak for themselves. Caelee approaches Rosc Roche and begins running her fingers through the hair on his neck, her eyes turned away from Vala. Besides. I feel the company is much better out here. Don't you, boy? Ruffling the horse's ears, she finally turns her attention to Vala directly.

With no skill in subtlety, Caelyn's face was a mess of emotions, all crossing her face for fleeting instants before giving way to something new. Confusion, doubt, inquisitive, and a dull, blunt sense of longing. She looked away again and took a moment to compose herself. Vala... I wanted to talk. About how you fit into this group. How WELL you fit into this group. And not just in a team work and comradery kind of way. When we touched... it was almost as though something cosmic, something just beyond my understanding was binding us together. And not just you and me. The others were there, at least in some sense, but the connection between us was... electric. I find myself... missing it. And I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. It felt so good... did you feel it too? Her hands went to her elbows and she begins running her hands up and down her arms. This was the most nervous she'd been since leaving Candlekeep. It wasn't the horrified mourning for Father, or the rush of combat against foes dozens of times her size, or even the quiet solitude of travelling with her family, sometimes yards and sometimes even miles away from them, but that sensation had affected her deeply, and it showed.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-03-21 at 05:20 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

"Built up a bit over time. Bula bought me from a brothel as a 'translator', we picked up J.J. busting up a slave auction and Gazgazgaz here found us when we posted a notice asking for a healer. Not the safest profession, though I guess you already know that much. What about you?" It's unclear if any of them are actually skilled at the game, going easy on you or if you're just lucky, but it soon becomes clear that Sam's hand is superior to that of the three eclectic treasure hunters, leaving only Melian. Regardless, it's clearly a win for the party. It might be more impactful if you were playing for anything besides killing time, but this does allow the trio sat across from Sam and Melian to take the loss in stride - no hard feelings.

Vala nods in Senna's direction as she exits the ruins, quietly noting the sour look on her face "I can see that went well." J.J. follows moments later, taking up Oke's old position as watch. His gaze sweeps across the area, clearly taking his job seriously, but the eyes inevitably fall back onto the cart over and over again, his glare both distrustful and disdainful. Caelyn's words force the young singer onto the backfoot, and with Senna now at the cart she - careful not to make any skin contact - gestures for Caelyn to get a touch more distance. While it's not, strictly, a 'secret', Vala's clearly self-conscious enough of the situation to not necessarily want the pseudo-confession to go overheard.

"So, that's a lot to take in, I guess I'll start with thanks, it's nice that I've found a place so quickly." She's clearly taking a turn towards the awkward. "There is something magical involved. Confession time, I wasn't just paying attention to you all in Beregost for no reason. There's a vibe your group gives off which grabbed my curiosity but I don't fully understand it. That feeling you had when we touched...I don't think I felt the same thing though. With you and Senna both, it was..." She trails off, struggling to put it into words. "Like I was stepping on my own grave. Cold, ominous. Ice to the heart." She's not that distant from Caelyn physically, but the body language makes the gulf seem wider than it is. "That's not to say that I don't like you guys or that I'm worried about it at all!" She hastens to add, her voice growing a little louder than intended from panic before she dials it back down. "I'm sure we'll work it out given time. Just that whatever this magic stuff is it's...well whatever it is, it's affecting me differently. Sorry." What the apology was for isn't clear, but she doesn't retract it or elaborate. It's sincere and earnest, unsurprising considering Vala's attitudes up to now.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Oh. OH! Oh.... Caellee follows Vala's gaze over to her sibling and the lizard man guard. Her face flushes red with shame- she'd been so focused on saying the right words that she hadn't checked her surroundings. Well... if it is... unpleasant... for you, then we should not pursue it. The last thing I would want to do is make you uncomfortable. The druid was wise enough to realize she had already done just that, so she released an awkward, empty laugh that felt like poison on her lips. I'll do my best to avoid any further.... she looked over at Senna and JJ as though searching for help, but realized she must do this on her own. "... encounters. If you'll excuse me..." She turns mechanically and walks over to Senna, face torn by a sickening feeling of shame once she had turned away from Vala. Flopping down next to her sister, she whispered just so the cleric could hear Why am I so dumb, Senna?, her face in her hands and absolutely red with embarrassment.
    The Bear is Back.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions: Knowledge of Ages (Persuasion; 30ish minutes)

Senna was about to be very smug and condescending towards Caelyn, but as she sees the stiffness in the young elf's gait, her heart softened. Quickly glancing towards the rather hostile lizard man, she focusses her attention on Caelyn again. Time to be a grown-up again.

The red-head pulls her sister in for a hug, if she does allow it, understanding that physical contact was what she needed, not a beratement. Of course, with Senna being Senna, she could not help but add a few words to this. I am not sure what happened, but I am sure we will get through this together. Against the odds, against all foreign conceptions of our kind. Caelyn cannot see how she glares at the cold-blooded warrior just a few paces from her place.

She pulls away her sister again, in order to face her. We will pull through this, against all odds. She let's go of her sister and packs her magical bells. Now we should go and find some dinner. And remember you promised we would find some herbs for my healing kit.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

When Caelyn leaves there's a moment, just a moment, where Vala reaches out and her lips part, but whatever words she has go unspoken and instead she simply sighs, regret and disappointment - mostly in herself - writ on her face, though chances are no one but the birds in the trees are there to see it. With Caelyn and Senna where they are however, she opts to stay where she is for now, giving the two siblings the time they want/need.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #415
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 34/34
    PP: 14 PIv: 17 PIs: 11
    Concentrating: --

Melian picks up her cards and and shifts them back and forth in her hands as Sam explains the rules. "I’m pretty sure you tried but I was probably nose-deep in Dragonchess at the time," she says with a smile in response to Sam.

She stays mostly silent, listening to the others and their stories. They seem to be forthcoming in how they came together, if not overly detailed. "Most of us grew up together, which is probably why we work efficiently as team." She rearranges her cards yet again. "Do we know anything about these ruins? They seem human or dwarven-made, but I can’t tell much about their purpose from up here."

Show
    Poker roll: (1d20+4)[13]

26. - Top - End - #416

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"Dragonchess, now there's a dull game," Sam comments aside as he passively sweeps the hand, smiling at victory but secretly aching to put a wager on the line. A game without stakes just didn't get his heart pumping as much as it could.

Oke and Bule busting up a slave auction gives him a new sense of respect for their new allies, temporary though they may be. And he shoots a glance in the direction J.J. went, wondering if the wariness of magic is a tribal thing or because the slavers used it to keep their slaves in line. "Heh, work together efficiently. Maybe, as long as it involves getting in fights," he adds to Melian's own introduction. "We squabble like siblings too." With the first hand done, Sam gathers up the cards, being next in line from Oke around the table to deal.

"How about we make it a little more interesting?" he suggests while shuffling. "What aboouut Truth-or-Dare poker? Whoever wins the next hand gets to call Truth or Dare on everybody else?"

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

"Just that they're old. Fought some ghosts before coming back up to rest and recover, since it's probably not going anywhere. None of us are really history-buffs." Oke offers to Melian's query, and indeed none of them do look particularly bookish. Well, except for Bula the enigma. "Truth or dare?" Gazgazgaz shoots back scathingly, "What like we're children?" "Got something to hide?" Okethar remains all smiles. "Just dumb is all," the goblin tuts. Bula grunts. "Sounds like it's a fine suggestion to me. You deal this time, don't want anyone to think I'm stacking the deck." He slides the cards over to Sam.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn lifted her head, taking in a quick breath to control herself but keeping turned away from everyone until she can be sure she's under control emotionally. We'll get through it. Yeah. We'll get through it. She put an arm around Senna and squeezed, then turned to her sister with a weak smile on her face. I harvested some mushrooms from that cave. Big caps and stems. I'll hand them over to Vala and she should be able to make something of them. Then her uncertainty returned as she thought about her behavior only a few moments ago. Oh... would you mind giving them to her? I'll go look for those herbs you wanted if you'll just bring these to her... Without waiting for an answer, Caelee opened her bag and dumped a sack of mushrooms in Senna's lap that still smelled of living earth. I can't bring myself to talk to her right now, Senna! I just excused myself! She'll think I'm an idiot! Please? Without waiting for a response, Caelyn stood and trotted into the forest, apparently keen on spotting medicinal herbs. She threw a look over her shoulder at Senna, then jerked her head at Vala before moving out of sight.

Show
    Exit, stage left. Caelee will be back for dinner, but she needs some alone time to do battle with her feelings. And needs to make herself look stupid in the attempt to do the opposite. Ah, youngins.
    The Bear is Back.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Conditions: Knowledge of Ages (Persuasion; 30ish minutes)

Senna nods and smiles. If you would find flowers for decoration, I would appreciate some sunflowers. Don't try to go for roses, its thorns could hurt you. she adds with a wink*. The cleric takes off with the shrooms, waltzing back to Vala.

She takes a deep sigh, and does a nervous side-glance at the lizardman, showing him the mushrooms in a gesture that could both be interpreted as 'we will poison you' and 'it's just dinner'. She sets the bundle in front of Vala, and looks at her expectantly. So would you kindly inform we what just happened here? You can be open with me. As far as I am concerned, you are like another sister to me, seeing as you bled for us, as you have done so much more for us than any other would.

Senna tries to channel her inner pastor, sitting down in a non-offensive way, awaiting a response as calmly as possible with a rabid lizardman breathing down her metaphorical neck.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Caelyn is into symbology of flowers, sunflowers represent an everlasting friendship, and you probably know what roses stand for.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

It takes Vala a moment to gather her thoughts and words together, clearly conscious about causing undue harm or offense still. "It sounds silly saying it out loud like this," she mutters, "Caelyn and I had a brief moment of skin contact, just a touch, like we had in the druid clearing." It seems like saying that much is enough to set her resolute to continue. "I didn't want to cause any issues so I kept it quiet with us since it sounded like you felt something simlar, but Caelyn felt something magical - in a very good way - from it, and she said so. It didn't feel right to make excuses at that point so I told her that for me, with both of you, it was like touching death...in a very literal sense." She sighs. "It's magic, of some sort. I don't know what, I don't think any worse of any of you for it, since it doesn't seem to be impacting who you are as people. It sounds like none of you know what's going on either. I'm not worried about it. These sorts of things usually work themselves out in time."

"I don't know if I just phrased it badly or if I didn't say it right but she didn't take it well so...yeah, that's about it," she gives a tired shrug that says I don't know what else to do. She's playing a little coy here, given the context of Caelyn's pseudo-confession, but it doesn't exactly feel right to go dishing all the details like a gossip.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC