New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 34/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: -- | --

"I guess making the argument of more effective slaves might work... just try not to look too sympathetic, alright? You're a mean old bandito sawbones, remember," Sam comments on Senna's idea with an impish grin. "I can probably strike up a casual chat with some of the guards to keep them distracted."

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Senna sighs at Sam's comment. Some days I feel I don't have to pretend to be mean anymore. She does not smile or laugh. Guess you're right. A proper physical exam would probably tip them off, not to mention I assume there is not enough time to do all of them. No message cantrip either. I guess we have to do this the old fashioned way.

Senna takes out a parchment and rips off a small piece. She writes in the smallest letters onto it. The Fist will strike tomorrow. Be ready to flee.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

A bit of surreptitious poking around (and observation, mostly) reveals to Caelyn that indeed the central tent is not fed by the slaves working on the perpetual stew. Instead the emptied plates and remnants are taken to a corner of the Chill camp, where indeed a small fire and cookery equipment is set up, under the auspices of one hobgoblin who seems to be the resident chef for the commanders. The ogres food is less "prepared". The slaves seem to simply spitroast an animal (a deer, in this instance), which is then carried over by a bandit, and the two share it - though 'share' might be too kind a term, with minor scuffles and fists thrown over who gets the larger portion of meat.

Senna's access to the slaves is limited at best. Perhaps due to your newly recruited status, comparative youth or perhaps the Chill just don't like humans, but at least this evening she's not given permission to actually lay hands on them or administer any proper healing or care. It's not helped by the slaves also viewing her as, for lack of a better term, a bandit. They're wary of duplicity and keep their distance, much to the western gate guard's amusement.

As if that's not bad enough, when Senna goes to remove her boots that night, she finds herself quite unable to do so. The laces remain tightly knotted and pushing down on the leather to pull it from her feet finds it quite stuck, as if by magic.

The Next Day

The next morning promises more opportunity however. Still early, not that long after dawn breaks, a call is heard in the centre of the Blacktalon Camp. Those still resting in their tent recognise the voice as Tenhammer's, and those outside their tents see him quite clearly. “Alright you louts!" His voice booms out, rousing the bandits from their slumbers. Some are still awake from the night before, while others passed out outside their tents, laying haphazardly against log-benches or treestump seats. “Mornin' job call! No one shouts up they get picked, same as always, you blighters better not keep me waiting, or you'll all do some time shoveling ogre dung."

Vala, to whichever of you are awake and nearby, whispers quietly "Where do you want me?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #604

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Thinking it over, Sam whispers back, "Someone who seems trustworthy should deliver the message to the slaves." Evidently, he thinks Vala looks trustworthy. As the call for jobs comes up, Sam figures they must be volunteering for tasks. He puts his hand up, "I'll volunteer to stand guard." Probably one of the most boring jobs. But if he's doing it, he'll have better influence over where the guard posted with him is looking. If he gets assigned to the right spot.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna sighs again at her lapse of judgment of letting her greed of magical items not only cloud her judgment today, but also a few days ago not asking Thalantyr for components for the identify spell. Back in Candlekeep it was neither an issue nor a lack of access to spell components but out here she struggled to find something. She spends some of the rest of the evening maybe trying to find a pearl for this endeavor. They got paid, but sadly in coin, not pearls. She curses her bookish nature once again, failing to meet the requirements of life.

Yea, I'll watch too.

Senna almost tries to volunteer prematurely, as she remembers that even in Candlekeep being the teacher's pet was not the popular place to be. She delays a bit, trying to mask her enthusiasm with a bit of calm coolness. Another job? Or is it just the camp moving?
    Last edited by Spore; 2021-06-03 at 10:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 39/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Concentrating on:

I can cook. Good enough for these lot, at least. And I've got herbs and spices that I've gathered from the wilderness. Caelee keeps her head down even as she speaks, afraid that she'll betray some level of lethal intent.
    The Bear is Back.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

One of the bandits answers Senna's question for Tenhammer. "More like chores. Guardin', cleanin', huntin', but you don't work..." “You don't eat." The Blacktalon boss finishes. He nods at the suggestions from Sam and Caelyn, apparently agreeing to them. “Might be good to get some better tasting grub for once..."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

Vala finally speaks up, offering to help with the cooking as well. One of the bandits on the far side of the grouping makes an off-colour joke about women doing the cooking, a point which continues to fly over Vala's head entirely. With your group assigned your allotments - Sam and Senna on watch, Caelyn and Vala assisting the cooking - the rest of the assignments aren't of particular note, especially since your only other known bandit, Loog, absconded in your absence and hasn't been seen since.

Though it's unlikely Tenhammer is aware of your plans, he nevertheless opts to separate Sam and Senna from watching together. Senna is assigned to the north gate with a Blacktalon, while Sam to the western one alongside a Chill - perhaps because of his more monstrous appearance.

At the same time, Vala and Caelyn are pointed back towards the slave 'quarter' of the camp and given the direction of improving the food for the day. While they have plenty of raw materials food-wise, it's clearly being squandered due to lack of skill, will or both, with poor parts of butchered animals or plants being added, good parts discarded or misused. Of course, it's unlikely the gathered slaves were captured for their mastery of cooking in the first place.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee turns to Vala as they approach the slave cooking area, a look of distaste on her features. I think a good first step would be to tip that kettle out and scrub it clean. I can't even imagine the amount of burnt food that is probably waiting on the bottom for us. Why don't you give them a few tips on how to cook for people instead of ogres while I check the surrounding area for decent seasoning? Then, when I come back, I can be your assistant! I've been looking forward to picking up some skills from you, and this seems like as good a time as any! She removed her small snips from her herbalist's pouch, awaits confirmation, and makes her way out of the camp through the nearest exit to hunt for herbs to make the food a bit more tolerable.
    The Bear is Back.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna groans at the prospect of the same tasks she had as an acolyte and apprentice caretaker, only this time the gainers in this relationship where the slavers, not the broken slaves. Reluctantly, she tries to establish some sort of basic hygiene in the camp, regularly informing people if they didn't want to clean or organize their stuff, their next injury might just make them loose a leg or an arm.

Of course these vile souls do not care for such things, if they planned out failure, they would not be criminals in the first place; too draconic the punishment of the lords and their enforcers. She continues her gruff facade, being mostly ridiculed by the men, and sometimes hit upon, she counted every hour until the knights in shining armor arrived. She focussed on how she could chronicle these days, if she should focus on her sibling's heroics, or on the irony that a devil leads a righteous crusade against the vile hordes of banditry.

Her siblings can see her mood wane as the day goes on, and she only is able to steal herself away by following Caelyn looking for herbs and roots for a new stew. Little is spoken along the way, but one can feel the rage inside Senna burning. She looks at her elven sister and speaks: You really indulged in your inner fires yesterday, Caelee. I spare you the question if you are feeling fine, but that was pretty scary. We will likely have need of your pyromancy again, just like I will need to delve into the more moderate teachings of necromancy. Before you speak, the dead can tell many tales, they have much wisdom for us, but I will try to focus my efforts a bit on the arcane for now. She pulls out her bells. These are too valuable a tool to ignore, but I will uncover the secrets of their origin. Sometimes I envy you, Caelee. The forces of nature do not care about morality. A fire is not good nor evil. It just burns.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

Vala doesn't seem to have any issues with Caelyn's suggestion, setting about her the 'kitchen' with practiced, energetic hands. Practically speaking it leave the slaves with little to actually do, as has the energy of six of them, and more skills than that combined. They still look at you with fear, trepidation and disdain, but equally they seem glad for the opportunity to rest, only being called upon to assist in preparing things as Vala needs them, rather than the never end slog of work.

Spoiler: Caelyn's Spice Hunt
    Show

With keen eyes and a dextrous gathering hand, the spice will flow. Perhaps due to the ignorance or apathy of the bandits, Caelyn has no trouble finding an abundance of herbs and spice plants within a reasonable distance of the camp - she doesn't need to go far. Cumin, pepper, elderberry, garlic and garlic mustard, parsley, mint, entire bushes of hedge nettle, and more besides. Sufficient herbs that the bandit camp - but more importantly Vala - will have no trouble in whipping something up, and likely with tastes overpowering any potential poisons added. Gathering this together takes a not insignificant period of time, and is far more than a simple herb pouch could hold. Even allowing for sustainable harvesting, Caelyn could come away with literal armfuls of things to enhance a dish - or conceal a secret ingredient. Chances are that whatever doesn't get used will be good for use at a later date too, long after you put your bandit days behind you.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-06-08 at 03:36 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee listened intently to Senna even as she gathered more and more and MORE herbs and spices for the cook pot back at camp. Periodically she would take a full sack of plant cuttings and hand it to her sister, as it became more and more obvious that she was going to have more than she could carry in two arms. Once Senna had said her peace, she sighed, turned to face her sister, and tilted her head to one side. Senna... I recognize the value of the bells and your necromancy. It has aided us. It will continue to aid us. But I personally find it to be a foul art. I will not stop you from using it, as I find that in our journeys we will need all the tools available to us to come out victorious, but I will not enjoy it. I thank you for expressing your feelings on the subject to me, as the last thing I would want is for a difference in spell preference to come between us.

She turned around again and crossed her arms, holding herself for a few seconds before addressing the rest of her sister's words. Senna... you are right that nature is free of moral complications, but people are not. Evil druids, like the Malarites, exist. Good druids, like the servants of Mielikki, exist. But the majority of druids follow the ways of neutrality, seeking to mirror the amoral stance of nature itself. It is a choice that each of us makes, and often one we revisit repeatedly throughout our lives. As for my pyromancy... when I learned to be a druid back in Candlekeep there were beautiful descriptions of the different druid Circles. Druids of the Land with their strong connection to magic. Druids of the Moon with their innate connection to Beasts... but I knew from the moment I read about it that the Circle of Wildfire was for me. I don't know how I knew, but my heart yearned for it. Now that I've had... an episode... where I barely knew friend from foe and all that mattered was the power and the joy of reducing all to ash, I wonder if the draw towards fire stems from something... darker... inside me. Something like the darkness Vala feels when she touches us. Or whatever it is you saw when you peered into our souls that disturbed you so. When I had my... episode... there was a second voice within me. Masculine and deep. It seemed to manifest when I delved too deep into the fire and nearly lost myself. She squeezed herself tighter and closed her eyes. As much as I am repulsed by the idea of someone else shaping my fate, of my power stemming from something dark and tempting... I have never been happier in my life than I was when I was burning those dark mages and betrayers to cinders. Not because they slighted us, not because it was the right thing to do, but because I had power and I got to use it any way I liked. And that scares me. Nature may not have a morality, but I do. And I fear I'm being drawn down a darker path. More over, I feel like I'm going to enjoy it. And that fear and that pleasure are doing battle inside my heart right now. I don't know which will win. But I'm not the same girl who left Candlekeep with Father that day, and I never will be again.

Caelee sighs, slowly releases her hold on herself, and her features go a steady neutral of someone who has come to a great truth that they do not necessarily enjoy. Come. Let us return. I've got enough spices and herbs to make Tenhammer happy, cover the presence of my poisons when that time comes, and keep Vala stocked for weeks when we finally leave this wretched place.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Officially shifting Caelee to True Neutral, though on the lighter side of that alignment. We'll see if she ends up staying there, returning to the side of Good, or if something even more unexpected happens.
    The Bear is Back.

13. - Top - End - #613

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

With his assignment received, unfortunately away from the slave pens, Sam trudges over to take his watch shift. It's a little grating on his attention span to stay in place and look around without Grepha there to do it for him while he daydreams or shuffles cards, but he nonetheless strives to do a decent job. After all, he is looking out for signs of Grepha, or Fist advance scouts. Just not to tell the bandits about.

While he keeps an eye out, he also glances at his watch partner, gauging the Chill bandit's (lack) of chill, armaments, and condition.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Perception to keep watch
    (1d20)[20]

Alert Feat also prevents being surprised. Usually that's flavored as coming from teamwork with Grepha, but here we'll call it being stuck looking at everything constantly like an ADHD squirrel.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna listens to her sister and lets her words work on her. She nods slowly. You are awfully fast in finding these things. I could stand in a field of blueberries and complain about not finding any. As she collects the great smelling herbs, she is in awe.

I understand what you mean. If you remember the spell I cast yesterday before our fight? I saw these things. The darkness lingers in us. In Melian, in you and in me. I was expecting Sam to be affected too, but his aura was masked by Grepha's influence. Something that disturbed me that ours was not of the lower planes, it was somehow a void of energy, not even akin to the Shadowfell, the realm of necromancy. There is a pull on our souls, and I am afraid the only place that knows more than Candlekeep about this would be the Hall of Wonders in the Gate. Gond is not an engineer of souls, but I feel the most powerful priests in the area are either there or in the Keep.

Senna stops Caelyn in her tracks and touches her collar bone. You sound like someone who has not found her patron deity yet. You know what happens with people that do not at least align themselves with a deity. She refers to Kelemvor's Wall of the Faithless. But even before that, in the here and now, a faith would give you a basic guideline for problems like that. I have to confess Deneir has not solved every issue for me, but seeing the world at an angle gave me a certain idea how to respond to things. It does not help that I want to control, break spirits instead of burning bodies. But it comforts the mind.

On the way back, Senna mentions about half a dozen larger deities, starting with Mielikki, Corellon Larethian and Oghma, going over to elven gods, nature pantheon, but carefully avoiding the topic of hellish fire and the darker paths.

Trying to keep her shuffling armor at a minimum, Senna asks Caelee if it would be cool with her trying to sneak up on Sam, to be able to chide him for being so inattentive. She hides behind a willow tree, her armor faintly rustling, which she thinks is perfectly covered by the wind's sound through the thicket. The most Sam sees is a cleric in a bright white tabard, loud as a small warband and about as dexterous as a drunken lad sneaking home late at night.

15. - Top - End - #615

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

While his eyes flick over the treeline, Sam sees something moving - a white tabard and a gleam of metal armor. At first he wonders if it's a Fist scout, but then he recognizes it as Senna's. She is far less graceful than a military scout, and he doubts they're foolish enough to go out in full armor. Whatever she's planning, she's not doing a great job at staying hidden, so he decides to cover before his watch companion starts lobbing bolts.

"Just the gatherers coming back," he reports to the Chill guard.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee smiles as she watches her sister's clumsy attempt at stealth when approaching Sam and the bandit camp. She briefly considers heading into the bushes and showing her how it was done. But then she frowned as she saw the Chill guard. She reaches out an arm and gives Senna a brief shove. It breaks her heart to do so, but she then grips Senna's shoulder firmly. When Senna looks to her sister, she sees the same detached, neutral face Caelyn always wore around the bandits, but with her brow knit in annoyance. But then she winks at her youngest sibling. Not the time nor the place, Senna. Come. Time to put our masks on. She begins to walk quickly towards the camp, a sack of spices and herbs tucked under one arm, the other first tugging Senna along as though in a chastising manner, then simply resting at Caelee's side for the last half of the trip. She stops in front of Sam and gives a brief report, as one would to their "boss"The bounty of nature returns with us. We eat well tonight. Her voice remains distant, as though her attention were elsewhere, and she reaches her free hand out towards Senna, gesturing for the bag she'd been carrying. Don't dawdle next time. Give me the bag. I'll take them to the cook. Assuming Senna does, she goes off to bring her findings to Vala.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-06-09 at 08:29 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

There was no need to be so rude. Senna understood, and she knew that Caelyn didn't mean it. But come on, was that her understanding of a rough cameraderie? In most stories of pirates, bandits and highwaymen, they were abusive towards victims, not each other. But she might just attribute that to romanticising the stories, just like old nobles are elevated to almost paladin-like behavior, when all they did was NOT the steal the women from the farmsteads they razed.

I told her, some of the stuff would be better suited to treat blisters and boils, not to make some grub. Not that the food here is doing anything else than drain the morale. she says in her usual high-pitched voice, with an added layer of being naturally annoyed. She'll come crawling back once the march to the new lair has ruined her feet. Good thing there is always fire to disinfect such things. the doctor adds with a sinister smile, while in reality she shudders inside.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

The hobgoblin with Sam snorts but says nothing at the coming and going of Caelyn and Senna. While he doesn't do anything outwardly aggressive, the disdain he feels is clear, and he makes no effort to hide it. Satisfied that whatever needs to be done is being done, he turns away to look elsewhere, leaving the slaves under the direct watch of only Sam and Senna, leaving Caelyn and Vala the freedom to act how they might.

It's early afternoon when an invisible bird flitters down from the sky, perching on Sam's shoulder, before shifting into a spider that crawls inside his clothes to better hide itself. Grepha has, finally, returned. "It took them a while, but the soldiers should get close by nightfall. There's a dozen of them, and they've said they'll wait for a signal for when to move in."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #619

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

His watch partner not much for chatter, Sam returns to watching things with disinterest until words begin to flow in his mind, with a familiar tone. He cracks a slight smirk at the news. Good to have you back, Grepha. We were expecting to wait another day, so I need you to let Caelyn and Vala know to spike the food tonight.

If I may make a suggestion... the imp's mental voice rings back, clearly still annoyed at the order.

Right. You can belay the gag order, speak freely. Sorry about that... it was an overreaction.

Very well. Now, I can't help but notice half of the camp are goblins and gnolls, and whatever other savage backwater rabble they dredged up. Which means they have excellent night vision, unlike the Fist. We should hit them during the day.

Folding his arms, Sam is thoughtful for a bit. They might be planning to move the camp soon actually, and they'd have to pack up all their fortifications for that. What if we ambush them on the way?

Not a bad idea. Shall I inform the Fist?

Yeah. I'll confer with the girls later. Thanks.

With their exchange done, the invisible spider crawls down to the ground and slips away into the bush.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

The cleric scribbles something on a piece of parchment, then wraps it in linen bandages.

Senna goes by the lot, picks a stronger slave at random and approaches him. She draws her ornate knife, and looks him dead in the eye, then jams it into his arm. If you do not comply tomorrow, all of you will look like this. She hands him the roll of bandage. Now treat the wound yourself, I don't do weaklings.

Spoiler
    Show
    The note is draconic and says: "Don't eat the food tonight. Freedom awaits."
    Also bluff to cover my tracks and relay a secret message. [rolll]1d20[/roll] too dumb to type. -> Roll is 15 via Discord.

Last edited by Spore; 2021-06-11 at 05:04 AM.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee drops the herbs and spices off with Vala, turning around just in time to see Senna stab a slave. She runs over full speed, eyes wide with surprise, confusion, and no small amount of anger. She shouts loudly enough for anyone who might be watching to hear Don't damage the slaves! Hurt slaves don't work hard! She takes the bandage from the wounded slave's hands and starts rolling it out, still looking at Senna in disbelief. Quickly intoning a spell, she touches the wounded arm and causes the worst of the damage to seal away. She sets about applying the bandage, and when she does she finds the small note. She unfolds it, trying to keep it out of sight, and reads... nothing. She had seen Sam write in Draconic before, enough that she recognized the language, but if she was unable to read it she doubted that any of the slaves would be able to make out a single word. She pocketed the note, intent on destroying it at the soonest availability.

Whispering, Caelee admonishes Senna. I don't know what you were planning, but this is NOT the way to go about it. She turns to the slave and whispers in plain common. The food is going to be poisoned tonight. None of you slaves should eat it, as it may kill you in your weakened condition. Tell the other slaves, keep it secret, and you may be free tomorrow. Tell any of the guards and you will sincerely regret it on multiple levels. I'm sorry, my friend doesn't know how to tell a secret. Finished applying the bandage, she gives the newly enlightened slave a weak push back towards the other captured humanoids, then turns her attention back to Senna. If I catch you damaging the goods again, I'll see you flogged! Bloody psychopath. Again, she spoke loud enough that anyone nearby paying attention could hear the conversation. This time there was no wink of comfort or words of reassurance. She sincerely hoped that she would have a chance to discuss this with Senna when they were not at risk of losing their lives for the smallest slip up, to explain to her everything that was wrong with her plan. Until then she could only hope that her sister could keep it together one more night.

Turning in place, Caelee stomped back over to Vala, letting her anger and frustration show openly. No reason to hide her true emotions for the moment. For once in this endeavor her true feelings would assist in her disguise. Turning to the chef, she growled out Tell me if you need a hand with anything. Especially if it has to be chopped or smashed. I'm in the mood to destroy something right now.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cure wounds on the slave for (1d8+4)[6].
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-06-11 at 02:50 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

The slave that Senna stabs at shrieks in pain and falls backwards as the dagger plunges into flesh, sending a spurt of blood across the cleric's clothes. It's enough to get the attention of the other, non-party member guards, who look over with mild interest. The hobgoblin beside Sam wears a large grin, one that says he might do the same in Senna's shoes if given the freedom to, and that he finds the entire thing amusing. This mockery gives cover for Caelyn's frantic whispering, as they don't seem to pay too much attention to what else gets said. They seem satisfied that no permanent injury was done, but they also seem to take no issue with abuse of their property so long as it doesn't leave any lasting harm. In that regard, the Blacktalons are just as 'monstrous' as the Chill.

Reading the intentions of the slave that was struck is a guessing game at best. Eyes wide with panic, lip quivering, gaze darting between Senna and Caelyn with confusion. He scrambles away. Clearly he can't simply leave, nor can he abandon his duties or risk further punishment, so instead he drags his bound leg to the far end of the cooking area, putting as much distance between him and the rest of you as possible. A few slaves share whispered words with him, though what they say isn't clear. They occasionally turn to look at you, their expressions a mixture of anger, distrust and confusion.

Vala pointedly chooses not to look or engage with any of this, instead focusing on the cooking. She's clearly aware of what happened - how could she not be? - but in order to protect the cover she's choosing not to respond. Instead she quietly hands Caelyn a sharp skinning knife and points at a deer carcass. "For the ogres."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

No need to be delicate or gentle then. Caelee sets to work skinning the deer, perhaps being a bit more aggressive with the knife than she would normally be, preparing the corpse to be butchered for monsters.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Seeing her victim in pain and the little blood spurt makes her 'wake up' from the power trip the cleric was on. Senna's features froze in an indifferent visage, but she turned away as soon as her sister was done with her. Before Caelyn leaves, she responds with: Flogging? Do you really think they would injure on of their few medics? Senna boasted, but she thought she knew the answer. Yes, they definitely would.

What was worse was the silence from both Vala and Sam. Caelyn burst out and then it was done for her, but the other two showed resentment in other ways and judged more long-term. Senna sighed. Was the vile draw in her heart this strong already?
    Last edited by Spore; 2021-06-13 at 05:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #625

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

When the commotion draws attention from around camp, Sam glances back to see Senna standing over the slave with her bloody knife. He has to stop himself from running over to chide her, or from letting his face give away the disgust. Instead, he looks away with what he hopes looks like disinterest to continue watch.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Vala seems a bit surprised that there's no poisoning happening this evening, but she doesn't seem to have any objections, seemingly trusting that whatever plans you've made is for the best. Little else occurs during the day once plans are settled into place, and the patient approach leaves the afternoon quiet. Grepha relays the message back to the Fist, who agree to back off pending further information, though they don't have unlimited time either.

Sam and Senna are eventually relieved of guard duty, after standing around for the better part of ten or so hours. Boredom is the only foe they're fighting off here. When the evening meal is served the addition of Caelyn's herbs and Vala's skills make it go down well, both figuratively and literally, with more than one bandit insisting you cook tomorrow. It even seems to garner a positive response from the Chill, perhaps the first time they've shown anything other than disdain for you.

After giving your hated enemies a pleasant meal to satisfy their hunger for the evening, night falls.

The next day arrives with light clouds and a gentle breeze. The pleasant weather is cut through by another dawn-call by Tenhammer, one you can hear echoed across the camp by Ardenor. “That time again, slackers! Camp needs moving." A loud collective groan comes from the bandits who're awake and listening, but Tenhammer continues as if it hadn't happened. “So start packing things up, we leave at dawn tomorrow. Anyone not pulling their weight - you know the rules. You don't work, you don't eat." Vala is already up and out of the tent, but when Caelyn emerges, Tenhammer points at the two of them. “You two, back on food today, since you left such a good impression on the boys with your last effort."

He doesn't seem to issue any other jobs - hunting and guarding seem to have be playing second fiddle to collapsing the camp, though none move to pull down the pallisade walls, instead focusing first on gathering up the tents, crates for the dogs, and carts to carry things on. It seems they intend for you to sleep beneath the open sky tonight, any fluctuations in weather be damned.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #627

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

That Night

After they gather in their tent, Sam quietly informs them of his contact with Grepha. He leaves out anything he has to say about Senna's actions, knowing it would only get heated and draw attention. "Fist are waiting for our signal. Grepha is lingering around the edge of camp as a spider, so I can communicate with her telepathically." He glances in the direction of the familiar 'pinging' of her location on the edge of his senses.

"We know the camp is moving soon. I think we should let them pack up, and signal the Fist while they're moving. That way no palisades or siege weapons will be set up and ready."

The New Day

Wanting to contact the Fist personally, Sam volunteers to assist with hunting and gathering. "I'll go with the hunters. Itching to zap something," he says with a grin. Honestly, after guard duty yesterday he's itching for a change of scenery.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

That Night

Caelee nods in agreement with Sam's plan, thoroughly proud of his logic and wisdom, something he is oft in short supply of. She withdraws three vials from her belt and places them on the stump that had become their table for their time with the bandits. She points to each of them in turn while speaking with Vala. This vial will give ten, maybe twelve people a bad case of stomach flu. This big vial holds enough to make twelve or thirteen people VERY sleepy and a lot less of a threat. THIS vial... she takes particular note of the final one, a much smaller vial of a dark looking oil. is one for you to be very careful with. It's a deadly poison for your spear. If you end up squaring off with Tenhammer, Crush, or better yet Venkt. His weaker constitution would be particularly susceptible to it. Either way, it could make a difficult fight much easier. Drip the oil on your weapon, but don't let it touch your skin. She pushes all three vials across the stump to her, then she gestures towards the vial remaining at her side. I've got another dose ready for a rainy day, but you are more adept with your spear than I am with my arrows. She continues, addressing the group once again. If you are all "sick" from the "illness" that has beset the camp, each of you can ride in the cart. We take up the rear of the caravan. When the Fist move in we start from the back and work our way up. She hopes they will approve of that plan. She didn't want Rosc Roche anywhere near an ogre when the fighting started.

That Day

Caelyn simply nodded at her assignment and went to return to the cooking area with Vala. While on the move, Caelee reaches a hand over and gives her shoulder a squeeze through the cloth. Almost there. She trusted Vala to administer the doses of poison, but she realized she'd never asked if the woman was morally all right with utilizing such grey means of handling enemies. Some part of her, a foolish and youthful part, hoped that Vala would refuse. It was immediately clouted by the growing sense of adult awareness in her mind. This was a fight for their lives. Besides, a bandit is much more likely to surrender with brown stains in their breaches or when they can't summon the strength to lift their sword. Still, she might be more hesitant to wield the Weeping Death oil. If it came down to survival, Caelee could only hope she would make the right decision.
    The Bear is Back.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna kept for herself that night. In a panic of trying to contribute, she became very close to something she hated. There was murdering and brutality all around her, if not in deed, then in word. And the greatest battle of all was only about to come. Tales in Candlekeep's books always told of glorious knights in shining armor vanquishing, defeating or banishing the evil. They never told about the real bloodshed, and now that she could almost taste the violence to come, Senna was restless.

Restless and excited. She knew it was wrong. She should not look forward to carnage, to the killing. It must be done, but it should not make her as happy (?) as it does. While thinking she helped pack the tents.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

One advantage of Sam joining the hunt group is being able to direct them away from where the Fist are. The forests are teeming with game, so it's not difficult to find reasons to point them in a direction that isn't filled with knights.

The chef expresses no concern at the use of poison. Any doubts she harbours are kept to herself, though it's hard to miss that she's paying keen attention to your individual reactions to the situation. The effects of the poison disseminated by Vala in the evening meal take effect after a few hours of digestion, and the night is filled less with drunken carousing this evening. It's subdued, with most of them suffering in silence (or restless sleep), though the noise of bandits having to relieve themselves repeatedly during the evening is something you could perhaps do without, and Caelyn might for once regret her shorter trance duration while the others sleep through it.

Another Day

With the dawn comes another day of sun and heat, though for better or worse it's not scorching today. The bandits around you are in a sorry state, their movements lethargic and imprecise as they finish final preparations to move. Tenhammer and the other leaders – including Venkt, who has finally emerged from the other central command tent – look on with disapproval and mutter among themselves. They sometimes glare in your direction, but they also glare in other directions, so it's difficult to tell just what that means exactly.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC