New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 44/47
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

Caelyn, bandaged and partially healed, looks to her siblings as the man shouts into the wilds around them. "He's going to get the attention of something hungry or nasty if he keeps this up. Are we going to help this lost lamb as well, or have you all come to realize that altruism is best measured in teaspoons, not buckets?"
    The Bear is Back.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Warlock
    AC: 12 HP: 44/48 | AC: 13 HP: 17/17
    PP: 10|13 PIv: 15|12 PIs: 11|13
    -- | --

Sam

Halfway through Caelyn's mouth opening, Sam is already stepping out to approach the man. Though he keeps his distance, remaining far enough away to react if the man does something unexpected. His garb might be a glamour, after all.

"Hail, friend. Have you lost someone?" he asks, helpfully.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-08-25 at 05:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 39/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Senna was grumpy all the way over here. As the new traveller is seen on the horizon, Senna was again torn between her siblings positions. Sam rushes to aid while Caelyn grumbles something about being too cuddly. Senna just sighs, and adds herself in the middle, physically and in argument.

She decides to argue not with the stranger, but with her draconic brother. Maybe it is just a sheep or other pet. She felt the good-doing grating on her, and the priest recited passages from the Metatext to remind her, that her god's teachings where to help people, whenever possible. To be the hero in whichever story you see yourself getting pulled into.

She stepped ahead and next to her brother, hopefully alleviating his borderline intimidating stature by her inviting self. In all actuality, the smiling brass dragon was probably a friendlier sight than her grumpy self. Deneir's blessing upon you, stranger, how can we assist on this fine day? she inquires in a cheery tone, likely recited from her time she was the greeter at the temple back in Candlekeep.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

The man doesn't hear you approach at all, so lost in his own world, such that when Sam and Senna speak up he practically jumps out of his own skin in surprise. He pats his chest to calm himself and his breathing. "Oh, he-hello there." He stammers, a weak smile stretching his sunworn cheeks. "I didn't expect to see anyone else in these parts of the woods. Well, except the woodsmen of course. I don't suppose you've seen my brother at all? Chelak's his name, I'm Tiber. He's a few years younger than me, a half inch taller and uh, not quite as handsome." The man laughs at his feeble joke. In truth he's not much of a looker to most eyes. His features aren't anything to remark at, lacking either the raw musculature of a physical labourer or the refined grace of merchants or nobility. "We came into the woods together to clear the woods of a giant spider colony, thought we could become famous - 'Heroes of the Cloakwood'! Had a special sword called Spider's Bane and everything, but we got separated and it's been more than a week..." He trails off, looking sheepish. "Can't go back to Ma until I find him again."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #845

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    -- | --

Sam

"Some kind of spider nest, huh?" Sam asks. This doesn't sound too good for the brother, but he still wants to help if he can. Looking back at his sisters, he tries to reason through justifying the detour, "Hey, there were a bunch of giant bugs in the attacks on the inn right? Maybe that Falsom druid person is behind these spiders too."

Looking back at Tiber, he jabs a thumb back at Caelyn and brags, "My sister's an expert tracker. Do you have anywhere we could look for a trail?"

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 39/39
    Conditions: -

Flabbergasted, Senna cannot help but blurt out. You went for a giant spider COLONY. As two people. With a rusty sword and no armor. And you already loose each other before your actual destination? Some ranger you are, Tiber. She tries to sound convincingly empathetic, but just fails. She listens to Sam and looks at Caelyn.

To be fair, we would be lost twice without our dear sister. She rummages in her backpack. Are you a decent shot? We might need you to. as she shows him her crossbow. It was nothing special but she kept her crossbow in good condition despite never needing it.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

Caelee grits her teeth and stamps her staff on the ground. "If you can point us in the direction of a trail, it is likely I can follow it to find your sibling. If we encounter spiders, it is also likely that I can negotiate with them and determine the fate of your hapless brother. By the god's grace, Sam, after that can we move on with our own business? In my opinion these "slayers" have earned their fate.
    The Bear is Back.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Tiber gulps, and doesn't do a particularly good job of hiding his worry. Evidently he'd have been quite happy to stand in the same small spot of the forest calling into the woods, but when Senna thrusts the crossbow in his direction he doesn't have much of a choice. Her words overpower whatever shame he has and he's forced, as much by external pressure as by internal guilt, to accept it and fall into line behind you, though he doesn't look particularly happy about it. The worry for his brother is sincere, but if his brother is dead, he clearly doesn't want to end up the same way.

Even without any guidance from Tiber (for he has none to give), Caelyn is able to pick up some indications of the passage of giant spiders nearby - webstrands and spider droppings, leading you further into the forest. It's not following the same trail as the animal attacks you were following before, instead heading more directly west, rather than northwest. After perhaps one and a half miles of hiking, a scant thirty minutes, the path you're following breaks slightly into what seem to be the ruins of a campsite. A small firepit, long burned down, sits in the centre surrounded by gathered stones, alongside gathered log benches. Two wooden barrels lie nearby, their wood rotted by time and the elements. Purple-red stains on the wood by the cracks could indicate they once carried wine. A discarded metal shield, edges bordered with rust, rests near the firepit. Whomever it belonged to, it seems they weren't able to make use of it. The final object of note from the campsite is a small cloth bag, darned and frayed, but nevertheless intact, beside one of the benches. A number of thick spiderwebs link the trees overhead, but glancing from above you see nothing. No indication of any of the arachnid hunters hiding among either silvery strands or the wooden sentinels they weave between. Another gulp from the worried Tiber as he frantically looks around, his heart jumping at every long shadow cast by the Cloakwood's enormous trees. "Do you see anything?" He whispers, loud enough for the entire clearing to hear him. It's more of a breathy call than a whisper, but he's trying.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 19 HP: 39/39 -> 44/44
    Conditions: Aid (5mHP, 8h)

As she convinces Tiber to fight at her side, she smiles at the young one. I see much potential in you, Tiber. Aim and try to shoot at whatever moves fast in our direction. Do not hesitate, I can heal whmoever you mistake for prey. Besides, you might just soon be an actual hero in a storybook. I am Senna, a cleric of Deneir, the First Scribe. If our adventure is interesting enough, I may write them down once my travels are over.

Senna incants a prayer. She knew everyone could contribute. She prays to her Lord to invoke resilience into herself, Tiber and Glyph. A thin veil of warm candlelight wrapped around each one's form, only to vanish shortly after. Senna shrugged. She stroked Tiber's hair and then her cat's head before putting her into her extradimensional storage again.

Senna shushs the wordy hunter. Spiders hunt by vibration of their nets, but I never knew how giant spiders do it. But they are ambush predators, so I assume their senses are superior to at least us human's. Senna motions for Caelyn to spy ahead. After some deliberation, she decides that a smaller target might be more successful. She releases Glyph from her mystical box and motions her to walk forward. She touches Tiber's shoulder with her right. I will tap into my familiar's senses. Guide me until I use my own eyes again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Aid on Tiber, myself and Glyph for 5max HP each. It is not much for us, but I assume it doubles Tiber's health and gives Glyph a fighting chance against a glancing blow.
    Sending Glyph in to scout.

10. - Top - End - #850

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    -- | --

Sam

"Like I said, it might be related," Sam answers Caelyn's skepticism with optimistic justification that doesn't quite reach his eyes, and a nonchalant shrug. "Besides, altruism happens to be a virtue in my god's graces," he says, thumbing at the amulet around his neck proudly.

At the campsite, Sam looks around warily at first, then spots the shield and is struck by a bit of playful inspiration. He's about to act on it when Glyph is sent out to scout. Restraining himself, he lets the energy forming in his palm dissipate, and waits quietly, squatting in the bush with everyone else. "We're right next to you," he chastises Tiber softly, in a far more reasonable whisper.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Sam's reassurances to Tiber merely make him nod, but the concern and fear don't leave his eyes, even if his brows slacken slightly. As Glyph plods forwards there's a tenseness in the air, a thread that tightens and tightens as the moment stretches on, before it suddenly snaps. Two enormous spiders appear from thin air, taking you by surprise. They shimmer into sight as if crossing from beyond the dimensional border. Their unusual arrival is belied by their just as unusual appearance - a clean white underbelly, pristine as if made of polished stone, melds into a sky blue top. Their eyes are not dark puddles of black like most spiders, instead having the appearance of a summer's cloud.

Immediately one bites down on its closest target - Glyph - and the sheer force of the bite pierces through Senna's protective spell, and then some. The cat flops to the ground and immediately begins dissipating into thin air, its spirit temporarily removed. Senna's boots activate, regardless of her wish to keep a distance or exact revenge for her familiar's sudden end, and she finds herself adjacent to the spider, though the sudden movement doesn't stop her from getting her shield up in time.

The other spider bites down on Sam twice, once drawing blood - and injecting a poison into the wound - by the second time the half-dragon manages to leap away at the last minute. With their attacks delivered, the spiders vanish, shimmering back out of vision. There's no trace of their passage on the ground, no indent in the mud or grass from their long legs or droplets of blood from the maw that came away from Sam's wound. They're just...gone.

Tiber for a moment looks like he's about to break and run, but seems to think better of it at the last minute - perhaps fearful that being caught alone is worse than staying - and readies his crossbow with a bolt, eyes keen for the spider's reappearance.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

These spiderboys got the jump on you, literally. In their surprise round they bit Glyph for 9 piercing and 16 poison damage (RIP) and Sam for 12 piercing and 8 poison damage.
    In their follow up round they bit at Senna and Sam, missing with both attacks.

The spiders then vanished. I've left their tokens on the map to see where they were before they disappeared, but they can't be targeted at all. - I'm pretty sure none of you can see into the Ethereal Plane.

With no targets, Senna's teleport boots do not activate a second time.

Tiber will be readying a crossbow shot at the first spider he sees, and in fairness he will be hitting for max damage. Good for him!
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

With the spiders, white as moonlight, appearing before them, Caelyn raises her staff defensively and prepares for the worst, only for them to disappear again. Feeling frustrated by this battle already, Caelyn eschews diplomacy. She may be able to convince the phase spiders to stop attacking temporarily, but if they were hungry, she had nothing that could barter for safe passage, and she certainly would run out of food that would be appetizing to spiders very quickly. She briefly considered giving them the hunter, but that would never fly with her siblings. Instead, she summoned flames to her palms and readied to summon Bokono in an area that would singe an attacking spider but wound no allies.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Readied action to summon the wildfire spirit on top of a spider who appears. Hopefully both, but no allies hit optimally. The effect has a 10 foot range and cannot hit Caelee. DC 15 Dex save or take 15 fire damage (rolled in Discord). The spiders rolled a 11 and a 13 to save respectively, also rolled on Discord. I don't know if this works RAW, but I'd also like to use my bonus action to tell Bokono to use flame seed when it appears. If I can, (1d20+5)[23] to hit and (1d6+3)[4] fire damage.

Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-08-30 at 09:36 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

13. - Top - End - #853

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    AC: 12 HP: 24/48 | AC: 13 HP: 17/17
    -- | --

Sam

Large fangs sink into his leg, and Sam feels a numb sensation that doesn't quite take root, with a subtler burning beneath it. Responding on reflex, he swerves away before another snap of the monster's fangs can find his flesh. His eyes flare a menacing red as he sends a mental jab into the spider's smaller mind to create an opening for himself.

After striking at it, the creature disappears, and Sam looks around warily. He gathers a surge of force inside of his throat, gleaming platinum gliding up into his scales. Placing an arm on Tiber's, he guides the green hunter towards the others, trying to prevent the spider from getting around into a flanking position on them.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Surprise Round
    Bonus: Cast Mind Thrust on South Phase Spider.
    (1d20)[14] Intelligence save vs DC 14, if fail it can only take a single action on its next turn and cannot take reactions until its next turn
    (3d6)[13] psychic damage, half on a save

Action: If it failed the save, he takes 1 step NE and uses Eldritch Blast; otherwise he uses a dagger and stays in place.
    (1d20+4)[8] add +2 if Blast
    (1d4+2)[3] Dagger
    (1d10)[4] Blast
    Blast 2 if needed:
    (1d20+6)[8]
    (1d10)[4]

Next Round
    Move to the space 1 NE of Caelyn. Urge/guide Tiber to move 1 NE of Sam's new position in turn.
    Ready an action to Breath Attack a spider when it reappears.
    (1d20)[14] Dex save
    (3d6)[9] force damage, half on save

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    Concentration: Bless (Caelyn, Sam, Senna, Tiber)

Deneir's Grace, help us to write a new epos, one of Tiber and his comrades vanquishing the ghost spiders. With that, a small candle appears above all warriors including the young man, guiding their strikes and aiding their hardiness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Upcast Bless on all.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Sam's swift action causes the spider to hold its assault for a moment before vanishing. There's a tense moment in the air as you wait for the arachnid assailtants to reappear, clutching at weapons or magical foci alike. To Tiber's credit, when he unleashes his bolt against the beast that shimmers back into reality it strikes true, spearing through two of the spider's eight eyeballs. Its life is cut short immediately and any hope it had of escaping is brought to a quick end when Caelyn calls forth her elemental servant in a conflagration of flame. Regrettably she's not able to catch both in the incendiary appearance, but nevertheless it brings one enemy to an end.

Sam's gleaming platinum breath covers the phasing beast, but its agile form flattens for a moment and evades the majority of the damage from it. Senna's boots hum for a moment and then deposit her in the exact same spot she was previously stood. Already adjacent to the one remaining foe, there's no where else to move. Even with the assistance of Senna's spell, Tiber's second shot goes far wide and thuds into a nearby tree instead. This time the spider isn't able to disappear, and instead remains on this plane of existence, though for how long is another matter.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Spider needs to wait until next turn before it gets to vanish again, so it's a free for all.

Between Mind Thrust, Bokono's entrance (it doesn't get a fire seed) and Tiber's readied bolt you down one spider, and Sam's follow up breath deals 4 force to the remaining spider.

Even with Bless, Tiber misses his second crossbow shot, and the spider likewise misses Sam with its bite.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #856

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    -- | --

Sam

As the spider reappears, Sam quickly shifts out of the way of its bite and opens his jaws to let out another shining blast of force and light. The strain of both in short succession causes him to cough and rub his sore throat a little.

Show
    (1d20)[12] Dex save
    (3d6)[14] force damage, half on save

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

Caelyn and Bokono both hurl fire at the spider, her from her staff and it from it's tail end. The missiles meet and spiral forward in a small cyclone of flame, while the haze of cinders around Caelyn spreads to the elemental bound to her soul, causing the air around them to ripple with heat.

Show
    Firebolt at the phase spider- (1d20+7)[8] to hit and (2d10)[13] fire damage, plus (1d8)[2] from Enhanced Bond. Flame seed at the phase spider as a bonus action. (1d20+5)[23] to hit and (1d6+3)[7] damage.
    The Bear is Back.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna interposes herself between the skittering beast and Tiber. She invokes the powers of the dolorous death bell upon it. Get a bit of range, but not too far. she advises him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Toll the Dead 13 (via Discord) wis save vs 15 (2d12)[11]

Last edited by Spore; 2021-09-02 at 03:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Though the spider manages to evade the worst of Sam's gleaming breath a second time, and Caelyn's firebolt skims against its skin without any perceivable damage, Senna's necrotic bell alongside Bokono's fiery seed deal severe damage to the screeching beast. It makes one final attempt at biting Sam, only to find its mandibles snapping at nothing but air, before it shimmers once more. Though you prepare for its reappearance it doesn't come back, and appears to have decided that this meal is one that's not worth the pain, leaving you in the quiet forest once more.

The goldbag that was left behind contains more coin than perhaps Tiber has ever seen in his life, along with a potion of some variety, but the spoils go to you and not him - he has enough sense not to ask, or worse insist, upon a share, considering the favour you are doing him.

Show

Battle over. The low health phase spider didn't stick around and has now fled.

I'm assuming you'll pick up the bag of gold, which contains a total of 180gp and a Potion of Superior Healing (8d4+8).

Short opportunity to chat, recover wounds, do whatever needs doing and then move along.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #860

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    -- | --

Sam

Breathing a sigh of relief as the arachnid doesn't return, Sam rolls his shoulders and grins at Tiber. "That was a pretty good shot!" he compliments, squatting down and reaching into the bag of gold, bringing up a handful. He places the handful of coins in the commoner's hand with a friendly smile. "Here, you pulled your weight so you deserve a share."

Show
    Giving Tiber (1d4+30)[32] gold pieces. Sam didn't really bother counting portions beyond taking a fistful.

Taking a seat on one of the campsite's abandoned bedrolls, Sam rolls up his pant leg to look at the spider bite. It's swollen and still feels numb, so he rubs with his hands to try and keep circulation going, like when his leg falls asleep. "I think I'm mostly okay. Uh, Senna, could you take a look at this?"

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna calms her nerves a bit. She saw Tiber already pierced through the heart by the spider, but apparently we got lucky and were skilled enough. As Sam comes to her in seek of aid, she nods. Normally such beasts do prey on the smallest of us. Or was it the largest? I don't understand their actions half of the time.

I do not have received the blessing that stopped Minsc's poison, so I have to just...
    Senna disinfects her blade with a bit of alcohol and then the wound. It was already swollen to the size of a small grapefruit. The red-headed nurse makes a small incision to let the puss drain. A sharp pain goes into his leg. After that, his leg is bandaged. Try not to put too much weight onto this leg for a bit, Sam.

Spoiler
    Show
    Medic! (1d6+9)[15] HP back

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

As the coins clink together into Tiber's cupped hands his eyes widen. None of you can read minds, but it's not hard to tell that he's in awe of the generosity on display from Sam. Perhaps months of wages simply handed to him for less than a minute of work. He's already doing the mental maths of how long the coin would last, and whether this whole monster hunting thing is worth it after all. It certainly seems so - at least when he's not the one getting bitten.

Though the fleeing phase spider left no trail of its own, being on another plane of existence, but again Caelyn is able to find a trail heading to the northwest. At least this is more on track with your initial route, though given the distance it's likely running more parallel than contiguous. It's three miles more, an hour of hiking quietly, before you come across what may be your intended destination. It's certainly something. The thick trees that had clustered around you break into a wide open space, at least a furlong or two in diameter. No grass grows here, instead the ground appears to have been churned and dug through, the normal dirt and mud instead seems to be mixed in with a collective of tree branches and thick spidersilk - a reinforced roof on what, if the hole nearby is any indication, is a subterranean nest, or at least some sort of structure made by spiders.

Tiber, for his part, looks concerned. Even if the light was dimmed before in the Cloakwood the sun was still there. Going down below, not so much. Darkness is the spider's natural habitat, and one that humans have not adapted to.

Spoiler: Nature
    Show

Spoiler: DC1
    Show

Webs means spiders.

Spoiler: DC8
    Show

Given the size of the nest, and the giant spiders themselves, it's likely that there's at least a dozen involved in its construction, if not more.

Spoiler: DC15
    Show

This isn't normal spider behaviour. While small colonies are not uncommon, even among giant spiders, the size and construction of this 'structure' (for lack of a better term) indicates an intelligence behind it.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

Caelee leaned down and caught some webbing between her fingers, checking to see how sticky it was to try to gauge how old this nest was. I'm ill suited for this fight. Confined space, not a lot of room to remain at range, and an errant firebolt might set the whole nest on fire. I say we try to lure a spider out and negotiate at this point. I should be able to find something appetizing for a bribe if I try. What say the rest of you?
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

We should probably check out the rest of the cave before Deneir's blessing runs out. Senna says. She touches her shield to glow in the dark.

25. - Top - End - #865

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    -- | --

Sam

"Aww," reaching down, Sam tousles Caelyn's hair as she examines the webbed ground. He grins down at her with brotherly playfulness. "It's nice to see you're still willing to be merciful with the animals at least."

He stretches his arms and nods, "I agree with Cae. There's no reason to jump to killing first thing. The Glintrunners tame spiders, so they can't be all bad. And if they're living together they're like... pack animals, right? Like wolves? That means they probably have social skills."

Though his knowledge is clearly lacking, his heart in in the right place. "Plus they might know something about that angry druid," he adds, as an afterthought, remembering that was his argument for being here.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

Caelyn stood, stowing her staff next to her story staff and drawing her longbow. She looked at Sam without much amusement in her features. The beasts don't make choices with motives such as selfishness, stupidity, and greed. Humanoids do. Spiders, regardless of their size, can't be blamed for acting on their natural impulses. I can't blame them, so I will do my best not to punish them. I will be back, hopefully with a bribe. I'd suggest you give the nest some space so that they do not come out and attempt to eat you. I will return as soon as I can. Caelyn moved into the woods and began to stalk for larger prey.

Show
    21 in the discord for survival.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-09-06 at 11:22 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Whether a product of innate skill, luck or the area (though likely the formermost), Caelyn is able to quickly locate and kill a deer to serve as bait for the spiders. Returning back to the group, it's laid out at the mouth of the cavern, and then you settle into waiting. It's still maybe five hours until sunset, and spiders aren't particularly fond of the light at the best of times. Still, it's not much longer than an hour of waiting before something occurs. As the blazing golden orb in the sky begins to dip closer to the western horizon, that you see a hairy long leg emerge from the dark below. It's slow moving, tentative, unsure. Hungry, yes, but there's still an animal's caution at something unusual. It's alone, at least so far as you can tell, though it's unlikely to be the only beast in the nest.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna touches her sister with the kind and encouraging hand of Deneir. May the Divine Scribe give your words eloquence and cunning. she says. Her choice of words betray the tone of them. Remember it may just as well be an enchantment. I am willing to break it for them; for you. But it is my last greater spell for this day, so I want you to make absolutely sure that removing it will grant us allies to find his brother.

Spoiler
    Show
    Guidance cast on Caelyn. Dispel Magic offered.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

Caelyn smiles at Senna and gives her a reassuring pat on the shoulder. Stepping forward, Caelee clears her throat and intones a quick spell of communication before speaking up. Many legged one, I would meet with your eldest or most respected. I have brought an offering for your den, in hopes of negotiating for the life of a human who came this way. May I step forward, bring my offering, and speak with you more?

Show
    Cast Speak With Animals. (1d20+7)[26] Handle Animal to negotiate, plus (1d4)[1] from guidance.
    The Bear is Back.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

The spider leg extends a little bit further at out of the darkness along with its full body. It's not a phase spider, at least. The brown furred mandibles chitter hungrily. "Speak well for elf. Right to offer food. Bring. Speak to mistress. She decide if worth listening." It doesn't wait for you to respond, instead immediately retreating back into the darkness below, perhaps to relay your words to its 'mistress' in advance. It doesn't take - or even move - to take the offering. Instead it's one that you will have to carry below yourself, blood and all.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC