New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

"If you need someone to say a sermon and save your soul," she says, emphasising the 's' of each letter for, apparently, dramatic effect, "then I'm not your gal. I 'believe' in the gods, Aphine included, but I'm not sure you could say I 'follow' them. Not sure I can bring myself to do so, even with the ah...accessories." Vala places two fingers on her pendant, holding them there. "They're just very comforting. Always have been, though sometimes that's offputting all on its own an-" She stops herself midword. "And I think that's enough talking about my extended crisis of faith unprompted for now."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 33/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

The cleric leaves the wizard's mansion, trusting in her sister to pick up her items, as she tries to pack her potions in a way that the flasks won't break. She wants to leave the reminder of Gorion's allies as quickly as possible. Outside she catches the latter half of Vala's comment.

Excuse me, I could not overlook your devotion to Aphine. What deity to you serve now, if any? I am looking to broaden my horizon a bit. Apparently Deneir has not answers to everything. she says carrying a humility in her voice, which should at least surprise Vyvian.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 39/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: --- | --

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    "If you need someone to say a sermon and save your soul," she says, emphasising the 's' of each letter for, apparently, dramatic effect.
    The bird quietly scoffs and mutters to herself as Vala continues her spiel, "Little late for that."

"Maybe it's time we spill some beans instead, huh?" Sam asks Vala, holding out his arms to either side. "I'm an open book, ask me anything."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Though she clearly hears Senna's question, it takes the young woman a surprisingly long time to answer. When she does, her tone is strained, and a bit monotone. "It's still Aphine. Gods dying doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal." Vala's nostrils flare and for a moment it looks like she's going to say something more, but instead she purses her lips and leaves it there. Indeed the question - innocuous on its own - seems to have taken a bit out of her and she waves off Sam's generous offer, with a casual "No need to force it. Assuming you all put up with me I'll be around a while yet, plenty of time."

With your business at High Hedge concluded, potions and scrolls in hand (or bag, as the case may be) and Vala ill at ease talking about anything of more substance than the weather, you all head back to Beregost. It's late in the day, though not yet approaching sunset thanks to the seasonal summer dusks, when you arrive back in the town that's becoming ever more familiar. Outside Feldpost's Inn you spot Dynaheir and Minsc standing nearby, clearly keeping an eye out for you. The two rashemi rush over upon spotting your party. "Any longer and we would've had to leave a note. Our intended caravan leaves momentarily so we can't stay, but we both wanted to say goodbye and thank you again, for everything. We won't forget it, for as long as we draw breath." "Yes my friends, you will always have friends in Minsc and Boo and Dynaheir. Hopefully we will see each other again, but the journey home is long, it may be some time yet!" Hugs and/or handshakes are offered by both depending on your preferred level of physical intimacy (a surprising amount of restraint on Minsc's part), with Vala standing off at a polite distance as goodbyes are exchanged. Dynaheir is of course extra thankful with Melian, though Vyvian and Dynaheir share a few hushed words as well. It's barely any time at all before the Rashemen-bound have to go, waving as they head out of sight around a corner. If the two of them had any questions about Vala, they seem to have held them either out of politeness or simply not having the proper time to talk.

"That's probably another story for another day," she says of the now-disappeared pair with a loud, very theatrical yawn. "If the plan's to be on the road at dawn I might head to bed now, get a headstart on sleep, unless there's anything else?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #65

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Exchanging a hug with the big friendly ranger, and a more professional shake of the hand with his witch, Sam sees them off with a smile. "I'm glad we were able to help. You two be safe on the road you hear? Or we'll be along to rescue you again, and we'll have to charge next time - only the first one is free!" he jokes with a wink. Grepha doesn't spare them much more than a small nod of farewell.

"I could probably use some sleep too. It's been an exciting... however long we've been at this, now. Think I'd like to veg out and sleep in," Sam is drawn into a yawn by Vala's own and strolls towards the inn. "Got dibs on the wizard's room still."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 HP: 34/34
    PP: 14 PIv: 17 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating: --

Melian follows the group back to town in silence, her mind equally divided between excitement for her new spells and worry for the future - the conversation with Thalantyr reopening wounds in Gorion's demise and their harrowed flight from Candlekeep.

In town, the wizard gives Minsc a slight hug (and Fëanáro gives Boo a quick lick with a forked tongue) and claps Dynaheir's hands for a moment, smiling. "Fare well, friends. I hope the road is pleasant and your journey uneventful! Please send word that you've arrived safely, if you can."

She waves once more and the morose feeling from before takes hold again. "I just need a little quiet for the night. Lots of studying to do," she says in monotone reply to Sam and Vala.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Long Rest studying Gorion's Spellbook.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna smiles at Minsc's hug, though she hoped it would have been less restrained and more sincere. She can't help but feel a bit melancholic and lost, now that her illusions concerning the divine have been all but dispelled a bit. When even gods die, leaving their servants back and all she stood for was borrowed and could be gone in an instant, what was left of her? What was left of Senna? Did she even have a personality outside of being a cleric?

She knew what had to be done in times like this. Only mundane work could alleviate her worries. So she looked for the nearest shrine and got to work there on those who needed healing. Covering up her tabard, using all but the most subtle holy symbol, she used her gifts of divine and mundane healing to aid the sick.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 39/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Concentrating on:

Caelee blinks in surprise when it is revealed that Vala's god is deceased. She shoots the woman a pained look and that seed of regret in her chest gives another twist, nearly ready to bloom. She rides Rosc Roche back to town in silence, leaving her thoughts to herself.

When it is time to say goodbye to Dynaheir and Minsc, Caelyn embraces Minsc wholeheartedly, giving the massive man a squeeze and a pat on the back. Dynaheir's farewell is more reserved- a simple hand shake, partially to show respect and partially to get a feel for her new earthen hands.

I'll be at the bar. I'll try to be quiet when I come up so as not to disturb your studying, Mel. She gives a weak smile to the group and heads inside the inn, taking a seat at the bar and ordering a glass of wine to nurse while she thinks.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Those in need of aid are grateful for Senna's ministrations, and the early evening passes quietly and uneventfully without further disturbances. Vyvian retires to bed at the same time as Sam and Vala, pleading a headache from drinking earlier. Caelyn's drinking goes unaccosted and Melian's studies likewise are not disturbed. Even those staying up need rest eventually though, and before long you've all retired for at least some time in bed. Unbidden and forceful, even to those in a trance, dreams press in on your mind once more.

Spoiler: Senna
    Show

You find yourself back at Candlekeep, with all of its familiar sights, sounds and - perhaps most notably - smells. The thick musk of book dust from the tomes in your arms, the heavy scent of the woolen robes that the Keepers wear. That you're wearing. It feels odd, for a moment. You'd never worn them before. Except you have. You've been wearing them for years now, of course. Ever since your triumphant return ten years ago. Part of you had planned to leave again, but when they offered you an esteemed position you found you couldn't refuse.

"Senna." Gorion's voice, warm and fatherly, catches you by surprise, though not enough for you to drop the books. Of course he wasn't dead. You'd brought him back. Saved his soul from torment in the afterlife, and he was here, with you, barely aged a day since you'd last seen him. Another gift you'd shared with him. "The newest acolytes have been asking after you. Seems they need something from the High Keeper." He smiles as you hand him the books you were carrying, books that seem weightless the moment you move to hand them away. "Best not keep them waiting."

You're stood in front of the acolytes now, down below Candlekeep in catacombs - tunnels that you've not been down in since you 'got lost' there with Imoen. Their hoods are up and pulled low, obscuring their features in complete darkness. Three of them stand in front of you and you ask them what could be possibly be so important as to pull you away from your duties.

"Of course, High Keeper. We wanted to know if you were happy with your position. With your life." One says with a deep bow. "We are here to serve the Master, after all. To make your every dreams, every wish a reality." The second one continues on, with an identical voice and an identical bow. "Though of course all wishes have a price. We trust you are happy to pay it once more?" The third says, his tone and actions mimicking the first two.

"After all, what's one more against the thousands you have already offered up?" The three intone together, gesturing to the surrounding crypt plaques where you see innumerable names inscribed. Names that you know, names that you don't, names that passed you by in fleeting moments. You swallow, hard, the lump in your throat plummeting to your stomach where it weighs you down. You try to wipe away the sweat on your palms but inevitably more appears. Too far gone. Too deep. What's one more? You nod, almost imperceptibly, and the acolytes vanish. Behind where they were stood is one more plaque, one more grave marker, its carvings appearing fresh as if it had only just been made. The name isn't familiar to you. But it will be. You'll remember them all. You do remember them all. It's the least you could do. Their lives for your happiness. Just as long as you remember.

What's one more?

Spoiler: Caelyn
    Show

Your battle against the Shadow Druids was finally coming to a close. It had been a long campaign, rooting them out from both inside and outside your grove. Those who could be convinced had been, but many more had to be returned to the earth by force. May they find peace as part of nature that they never could while alive. "Archdruid Wildheart." Your First - the one who would succeed you should you fall or retire - is stood at your side. "Thanks to your powers we will finally be able to cleanse the taint that has soured the Sword Coast for so long." It was flattery, he'd always been one to say such things, and though you often professed a dislike for it you couldn't deny that a small part of yourself warmed at the pervasive praise on offer. You skip the admonishment (this time) and nod to him. It was time to make your speech, to motivate your grove to final action. Some had taken issue with your somewhat draconian measures, and it was past time to remind them of their necessity. Because they were necessary. The cancer of Shadow Druids had to be burned out utterly, lest it infect more.

"My friends!" You begin. "Agents of balance, servants of nature, druids of the grove! Hear the call of your Archdruid!" All eyes are upon you. Hundreds of them. Not just your grove, but others who had come to assist, all at your behest. Not just druids, of course, but dryads, nymphs, fey creatures and more. "Rise! The skies burn red with the flames our justice! Nature's blessings are with us! Leave only the ashes of rebirth in your wake! The great cleansing begins!" Roars and cheers go up from your assembled army. They'd all come to follow you. Your power is what had inspired them to follow. Power that had for so long seemed distant, unreachable, and impossible to grasp, yet had seemed so natural once you had opened yourself to it, hadn't shut yourself away. Given yourself over to the truth of your inner strength without compunction.

Your leadership of the battle has it proceed as expected - it is short, swift, and brutal in its efficiency. This victory and more are in your grasp, as you quietly realise that the shadow druids were only the beginning, and with your strength and that of your followers you can do so much more. Cleanse evil on a scale hereto unknown. The power of nature at your fingertips. All as it should be.

Spoiler: Melian
    Show

"No." Your denial of the lich's spell ends it before it can even be made manifest, its arcane bonds unravelling immediately. Strands of stray magic invisible to the naked eye but keenly seen by yourself flutter off into the ether. You whisper a command word and the lich falls to its knees, utterly dominated by your powers. Despite your relative youth your mastery and strength with spells outstrips this ancient undead who gave up everything for power. Power that you claimed so easily. Power that was you birthright. Hold on, birthright? What did tha- The lich grovels at your feet, interrupting the train of thought before it can go anywhere, and it's forgotten just as quickly as it had come. This was the fourth lich you had added to your army of captured wizards, those whose powers had served themselves would now serve you, and your cause. To do good, of course. They might object, they might seethe, but you were beyond them, and they inevitably fell in line. Power hungry as always, they longed for the cast offs, the strength that trickled down from yourself almost as a forgotten stream.

And you would need more power still, for you intended to change the face of the realms in the service of elves. You would start with the reclamation of the ancestral city of Myth Drannor, long held by fiends, cults and various other groups that would despoil the ancient legacy of your people for their own goods. No longer, you had decided. You had accepted the strength inside you, strength that you would put to use for the good of...good of...yourself. And others. This was for your peoples. Elves who wished for a return to days of yore but lacked their own strength. Yes, their praise and gifts felt good. But it wasn't just for that. It was for the advancement of yourself. No, that's not right. It was for the advancement of elves. You stumble slightly. The lich at your feet either doesn't notice or can't react due to your utter domination, but to make sure that no one had seen your moment of weakness you obliterate the being in a single motion, the spell severing the soul-cord that ties it to its phylactery, damning it the torment of an afterlife it had for so long tried to avoid.

The power was intoxicating, and it was sometimes difficult to stay on track, to stay the course. But you know you can do it. You were the smartest elf on the planet, with powers unmatched. Nothing could steer you wrong, because nothing could steer you, except for yourself. And you were always right. Your powers made sure of it.

Spoiler: Sam
    Show

You are floating in the dark, feet barely scraping the ground as you are held aloft by a power within. Twisting corridors of stone surround you, roughly carved walls made with little care for form, only function. The depths may have at one point seemed claustrophobic, but now seem a mere nuisance. Bodies litter the ground around you - human and kobold - and you realise you are in some version of the Nashkel mines, perhaps tunnels far deeper than you saw, those long since caved in. The bodies are marred by blood and burns. You are carried forward by the invisible force, your boots occasionally getting caught on an arm here, a torso there. The deeper you go the more bodies pile up until the stone floor becomes invisible. The walls begin to be covered with the bodies, and then the ceilings, held there as if by a reversal of gravity until all of them press in around you.

The numbers grow and grow, until you are no longer floating through them, but instead pushing them aside as they press in from above, below, and around. Before long you are crawling through the mess of blood and gore on your hands and knees, and then your belly. On and on, deeper and deeper. For hours. You climb over bodies familiar and unknown to you, though why you're not sure. You simply know that you must go further, and that all these bodies were made by your hands. Finally you see a light at the end of the darkness, beyond the press of corpses. A burning light, a devil's light. The gap widens and the bodies fall away, leaving you back in the stone tunnels with Grepha in front of you. The source of the light, the source of the reprieve, if only briefly. She looks smug.

"Take back your soul," a voice whispers in your ear, in your mind - your voice, yet not your voice. Foreign and yet oh so familiar. A dagger of bone manifests in your hand, cold and rough. "Take back your power!" The voice continues. You look down at the weapon clutched in your talons. In your mind you see it plunged into Grepha's chest. All her power now yours, forever. You toss the dagger aside, though not out of mercy. Instead you step forward and wrap your hands around the imp's body, tearing it asunder with pure force, ripping limb from limb, wing from wing. You keep ripping even as the crash of dead bodies surges from behind and engulfs you, extinguishing Grepha's light and surrounding you in the crush of darkness that lasts until you wake.

Dawn comes as inevitably as it always does. Outside your windows is the lightest drizzle, pitter-pattering against the windows barely audible were it not for the silence inside your rooms. It's not significant enough to rain off the day, and outside the town is waking and preparing for work and play, albeit perhaps slightly less enthusiastic than normal. The rain should stop before long though, judging by the clouds. A short overnight shower which will give way to a humid, warm and windy day. Once awake, those excepting Sam (who stayed in the 'spare' room) and Vala (who has a room of her own) find Vyvian's bed empty, the bedding made and a small letter folded on the pillow. Opening it reveals a short, to the point letter in her familiar handwriting.

Spoiler: Vyvian's Letter
    Show

Everyone,

I'm not one for long goodbyes which is why I'm not doing this face to face. Grepha's a toad but she was right that what I did with Zephyr was selfish and wrong. I'm going to catch up with the caravan that Dynaheir and Minsc are on and I'll be going to Rashemen. Dynaheir told me they know a lot about spirits and working with them, not [a number of words are scribbled out here, making them unreadable] against them. They might find an answer for my nightmares in the process. Dynaheir agreed not to say anything, but don't blame her - and Minsc didn't know. It was my decision. Even if they hadn't known I would have done this.

I don't expect you to understand, and I won't try to argue it. We've had enough arguments. I'll be long gone by the time you read this and you won't catch up to us even if you wanted to. Trust that I'll be safe and that I need to do this for myself. Stay safe everyone (even Senna).

Yours, Love, Take Care, Sincerely,
    Vyvian.

When you do find your way downstairs, you find it empty aside from the barman, snoring loudly in a chair behind the bar. The inn otherwise looks distinctly not-open at the moment, though smells from the kitchen indicate breakfast is being made.The smell of cooked meats and baking bread fills the room. Warm, homey smells. Hungry smells. Once you reach the bottom of the stairs Vala pokes her head out of the kitchen door. She appears bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and in an oppressively good mood. "Mornin' all." It's a loud whisper, audible yet muffled so as to not awake the barman. "Food will be ready soon, grab a table, but try not to wake him, yeah?" Her head vanishes back into the kitchen before a reply can be given.

Show

With these dreams the bond with your inner power has strengthened further - the powers you received previously gain an additional use per long rest, and you now permanently have Advantage on death saves.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #70

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Dragons cannot sweat. And were it not for this fact, Sam's quilts covering the fancy bed would be soaked through. In the morning, he jerks up with a start, gasping and hyperventilating. "That was... that was worse than the other ones," he breathes out, to himself, pulling up his hands to rub his eyes.

With the room to themselves, and thus Vala not there to see, Grepha had resumed her true form for comfort. Since he hardly needed all of the quilts, Sam had laid out a bed of cloth for her on the floor. When she hears Sam stirring, she stretches and looks up. "Hm. What is it? More of those dreams?" her tail flicks from side to side, like a pleased cat, as she spies an opportunity.

"There were so many corpses. Everywhere. The kobolds we saved, miners, all kinds of people. It even wanted me to kill you, but... take back my soul? You don't have my soul," Sam tosses aside his blankets and sits off the side of the bed, reaching for the wash basin and splashing his face.

"It sounds like this power is beginning to be too much to bear," Grepha speaks sympathetically, hopping up onto the desk that formerly belonged to Tranzig, so as to speak at eye level. "Perhaps we can find some way to lighten the load."

"If this is some kind of deal for my soul you super picked the wrong day, Grepha."

"No, no deals. Just an idea. Can't I want to help?" she asks, cracking a grin as Sam looks at her with doubt. "Okay, maybe there is something in it for me, but no Faustian bargains or anything like that. You could say the deed is its own reward." When Sam doesn't interrupt and looks at her expectantly, she continues her explanation, "This is an... unusual power. But very clearly an Evil one. If the weight is beginning to be too much to bear, perhaps you could share the burden with someone else. Considering my soul is yours', it should be relatively easy for you to offload some of that power onto me."

"Give an imp a bunch of evil power?"

"An imp under your control, of course. Who better to bear the power of Evil?"

Leaning forwards with his elbows on his knees, Sam stares at the floor in thought. "Let me think about it." He gets up and starts getting ready. As he goes down to get breakfast, Grepha flies over to land on his shoulder and shifts back into her usual raven form. He wordlessly goes to a table, seemingly not even registering Vala's greeting as he is lost in his own thoughts.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee bolted awake, not yet used to becoming fully unconscious. Breathing hard and fast, she reached out her shaking hand out and began to intone a spell, then she swallowed and let the power dissipate before it could manifest in her fingers. The flames that had been wreathing her outstretched palm took a few moments to fully go out, leaving the scent of smoke ambient in the room. She placed her hand on her chest as she worked to slow her breathing. Had her talk of being an archdruid with Vala shaped this dream? If so, it was a future unlike any she had desired for herself. Cleansing and purging evil sounded like the right thing to do, but she could never see herself leading armies and orchestrating slaughter. Whatever outside force... or perhaps INSIDE force... was causing her to dream knew how to tempt with power but seemed unable to accommodate the nuances of morality. Still... if she did have power... great power, like the dream suggested... was it not her duty to use it? There was always plenty of evil in the world, and wasn't it her responsibility to push back against those powers with whatever she could bring to bear? Shaking her head, both to dismiss the quandary and wake herself up, she looked around the room to check if anyone else was awake.

That was when she noted Vyvian was gone. Her heart fluttered in panic as she dashed to her bed, finding the letter that had been left for them. She opened it with trembling hands and read it over once, then again, before crushing the paper in her palm. Caelee's relationship with Vyvian had always been a tempestuous one, filled with rivalry, antagonism, and teasing. But that just made the pain of her absence strike her that more acutely. Releasing her fist, the paper fluttered down to the bed as she slowly began to get changed for the day. It all felt so unbearable. Her clothes felt heavy and uncomfortable, her armor and weapons even more so. Barely holding back tears of frustration and pitch black sadness, she went downstairs with one hand extended to support herself against the wall.

Caelyn crosses the room with only a pained grunt of acknowledgement to Vala, struggling and failing to contain her emotions as she sits down across from Sam at the table. Eyes clenched shut with tears leaking from the corners, chin trembling, she whispers Vyv left us last night. She left a letter, as though that was the proper way to say goodbye to your family. She's going to Rashemen with Dynaheir and Minsc. She's leaving and she didn't say goodbye. Finally losing the battle to control herself after the hellish dream and the cruel reality she'd woken to, Caelee covers her face with her hands and begins to cry, her strangled sobs muted by her hands.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-11-27 at 07:27 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

The cleric woke up like the others, though less stressed than them. Some odd sense of contemplation surrounded her. Her god did not abandon her, on the contrary, but religion did not have the answers she sought after. Her dreams however gave her a path to enable her power, even though the very thought of sacrifice for power was against her will. But she did use her powers to command others in the past. If she could get her hands on ... Vyv left us last night.

Caelyn's comment pulled her out of her stupor. Strangely enough, while Vyvian's presence incited much emotional outrage in Senna, and while Vyvian quieted down a bit, Senna began to understand the worth of her comments on moral superiority, the rogue's absence was not troubling at all for Senna. Her world changed rapidly, but Senna began to cope with it. It was the news of the day back in Candlekeep when Winthrop began using another rag for his countertop - less for hygiene and more because the old one wore thin - but nowadays a day where they did not almost die was a good and relaxed one.

Senna went over to Caelyn and hugged her. And nothing will happen to her, as long as Minsc draws breath. Senna smiles an almost motherly smile. Dynaheir will act as the sensible one so Minsc and Vyv don't plan something exceedingly stupid. They will be fine. Besides, with the third circle of the Metatext unravelled to me, we can talk to her, given a day's worth of preparations and prayers. Which reminds me I have to do my ministrations to the Great Scribe. She smiled and looked at her sister. You should attune yourself to the wilds, too. I feel we will need everything we have when we want to enter the woods.

13. - Top - End - #73

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"I'm not surprised," Sam murmurs quietly, looking down at the knotted and wavy patterns of the wooden tabletop. "She was acting distant, brooding. Just like Aintas before he left... it feels like one by one we're splitting apart."

"People grow apart," the raven speaks, her tone oddly not mocking. "Siblings' paths diverge like this all too often, as they find their own. I would be more worried about facing certain threats without her admitted talent at killing," the imp's speech slowly takes a turn away from oddly supportive to clinically analytic. "I suppose we shall see how useful this Vala girl proves in battle."

14. - Top - End - #74

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

The Elf slowly awakens from slumber with a slightly pleasant feeling; her face showing a somewhat bemused expression. Very quickly it changes to one of confusion as she realizes she fell asleep once more and then to one of guilt and horror as she contemplates the implications of her dream. So much power at her beck and call but such a horrendous ego. Could this truly be a reflection of her inner self? Given the opportunity, would she abuse her position and knowledge in the name of self-serving, bastardized, "greater good"?

She shivered. Then slowly got up and got dressed.

Caelyn had already left the room, which made putting up with the shame she was feeling easier. She then noticed the crumpled paper on Vyvian's bed and, carefully picking it up, read it carefully. She sighed weakly. Another one gone. Tears started welling up and she choked them down as hard as she could.

Pack finally ready, Melian walked into the dining room and sat down soundlessly beside her siblings. Taking stock of the mood, she concludes that Caelyn must have shared the news. "So our paths diverge once more," she begins dejectedly. "I for one wish that Vyvian's road is easy and that she finds what she needs. She..." her voice starts to break and Melian clears her throat and takes a moment to compose a stoic facade. "I will miss her but I know she's a smart and strong girl and can take care of herself."

"There's also the matter of dreams. I had another one and assume you all did as well?"

Show
    Scribed Protection from Evil and Good, and Invisibility.

15. - Top - End - #75

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

With a slow nod, Sam shares his dream with the others. "I was floating through the Nashkel mines, I think. There were corpses everywhere, and they were pulled to me like I was swimming to them. The dream seemed to want me to kill Grepha in particular..." as he explains his own dream, Grepha is looking off distantly, mind on other things.

"I feel like that power I got before, after the first dream, got stronger. Do you all feel the same?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Embracing Senna, Caelee slowly recovers her composure before releasing her younger sister. She then listen with interest as Sam discusses his dream. After he is finished, she described her own. In my dream I was an archdruid of fearsome power leading an army of nature. We destroyed a force of evil druids, but I was going to use the army to... purge... more evil from the land. I fear what may have happened if I hadn't woken up. Like always, the dream seemed to reinforce that there was great power available to me if I only embraced it. And I woke up feeling more powerful as well. I think I may be able to resist elemental forces with just the power of my mind. She shivers. The power was undeniably useful, but she was becoming more and more circumspect of the source. Perhaps we should try to find a seer or dream reader to interpret meaning from these dreams. Perhaps we could finally get some answers. Hopefully before the cost of these powers manifests.
    The Bear is Back.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Something unites us, and it is not that we grew up in Candlekeep, my friends. Senna says. She ponders her siblings reaction, but ultimatively says:

Maybe we should learn to harness and control these powers. The sentence is dropped like a bomb shell. Senna fears immediate repercussions, and protest, but continues before anyone has a chance to stop her. It is obvious it wants to lure us into its dark temptations. But what if, like Sam, we just use its power for good? What if we used these dark gifts to quell this crisis, to avoid death and bloodshed? I hate to say it, but Grepha's reasoning is sound sometimes. If we use our talents with precision, we can and will prevent further bloodshed. After all, we are out to find the bandits trying to throw this region into a war with Amn.

For this cause, we will probably need to kill again. I cannot in good conscience pretend like what we do is not creating corpses, widows and death, but we do it to prevent bigger suffering. I can no longer pretend like we are stumbling into these war-like situations on accident. Deneir has not abandoned me even though I used his powers to kill before. So for all I am concerned we are still doing the right thing. I just ask of you one thing.

We are not the final solution for situations like these, and never ever think you are the last arbiters to judge a person. Even the law is just a joint decision on what is acceptable. So can we just say, if we have the time to decide, we can and will talk to each other before we enact judgment? I promised Vyvian to become less preachy so I just ask you this time.

18. - Top - End - #78

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"I don't agree," looking up at Senna, Sam shakes his head. "It wants us to accept it, to let it in completely. It's already getting stronger even though I've only ever used it once - in the battle with the gnolls. If we open the floodgates, how quickly could it overwhelm us?"

"It's just a shame you don't have any way to track down more clues about this," Grepha laments offhandedly as she looks in another direction, then she turns her gaze to fix it on Senna pointedly.

19. - Top - End - #79

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

"Well Senna," Melian says staring at her sister. "In my dream I was a power to be reckoned with, one who could bend liches to do my bidding in the name of greater good. But it wasn't greater good." She grimaces with disgust. "It was a self-serving, hateful expression of power. I think any 'harnessing in the name of the greater good' will turn out to be horrific. Sure, Deneir hasn't turned from you but this power isn't from Deneir, is it?" She takes a breath to calm herself. "You are a glyphscribe. Your knowledge of history and lore is vast. Can you think of a single time when harnessing Evil in the name of Good ended well?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

I don't intend to embrace these powers, but I don't intend to ignore them, either. Caelyn wipes her eyes and nose before continuing. I never used these abilities, but they are getting stronger anyway. I don't think using them is the threat here. If anything, they've grown in measure to how strong we've all gotten. I know my druidic powers are stronger than ever, and I bet the same is true for all of us. I don't intend to retire, so it is likely they will get stronger still as our magics grow within us. While I don't plan on indulging whatever dark designs the dream giver has for us, I also don't intend to let myself die if an enemy throws fire, lightning, thunder, or ice at me. So I'll use this power, but always be wary that it stems from something with ill intent. I don't think we have any other options... at least I don't. I don't even know what powers you all have been invested with.
    The Bear is Back.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna slowly shakes her head. This is not what I meant. We should use every tool in our inventory, or else we could very well loose someone dear to us. The cleric pauses, then starts again. We may not be as vile as they are, but if we stay our blades, it could come back to bite us. I am just waiting for the moment when Kagain's henchmen will ambush us, or Tranzig's information will lead us into a trap. If we stay as merciful and naive as we were, we may need some less than savory options.

She turns to the elven bladesinger You learned the Skull Trap spell, knowing fully it taps into the Negative Energy Plane*. The same can be said for the Bells of the Dead that Deneir granted me the use of. I have prepared several divine curses for the day. If blinding, cursing and damning our enemies is needed for us to stay merciful, so be it. If using a command spell some dark entity granted me could save a life, I will use it.

The cleric ends, seemingly accepting no further discussion. On that note, do we have a strategy in mind? I feel our usual thing of Deneir blessing you so you go in and massacre everyone is not cutting it, right?

Spoiler
    Show
    *If the Shadowfell does not exist yet, lorewise.

22. - Top - End - #82

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

"Come now, Senna. You know that’s a false equivalency. Skull Trap is a Necromancy spell and Necromancy isn’t evil in and of itself. Would you deny someone a Resurrection spell on the grounds of moral superiority because it draws on necromantic energy?" The elf’s tone is one close to academic discussion but there is obvious worry in her voice. "We do not know where these powers come from and, perhaps more importantly, we do not know the price attached to them. If you want to use these ‘gifts’ as you call them, I cannot stop you but consider the dreams - or better yet, nightmares - associated with them. Consider the future they show and the dark pall it casts over us. For all we know these powers may be fueled by the souls of the damned. Or may even be damning our own."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Vala may have been eavesedropping, or she may just have extremely coincidental timing. Regardless, at the question of strategy the kitchen door slides open and the young musician/chef emerges holding two large, laden trays piled high with food. Plates of sizzling bacon and sausage, sliced bread (some toasted, some not), cheese platters, fruit spreads, some more hellfire pepper poppers, along with jugs of apple juice, water and wine for drinks. It looks like far too much for a woman of her stature, but she carries it with seemingly little issue and practiced balance. Were it not for the padding footsteps of soft shoe on wood floor her movement would be entirely silent - no rattling on the trays, no jingle of cutlery. Empty plates and cups are slid in front of you as she places the trays in the centre of the table, before taking a seat herself, immediately grabbing a few sausages and slices of bacon.

It's only once she's taken a chewy bite that she actually looks at your gathered group and remarks, with hand covering her full mouth and all the tact of someone who may have once heard about table etiquette but never practiced it, "We're missing one. Vyvian not an earlybird?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #84

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"I would sooner find a way to get rid of it than let any of those nightmares come true," Sam states intently, at Senna's continued justifications. His hand balls into a fist against his knee, and he glances to the side at Grepha. "I'm willing to give your suggestion a try," his words float to her through their telepathic link and, were she not presently equipped with a beak, the imp would have grinned.

That's when Vala arrives, her timely delivery of food all too welcome. Sam immediately grabs some cheese and wine - he always hears them paired together in the nobles' talk, so they must go good together. "Earlier than us," he mutters through a mouthful, before swallowing and telling Vala more clearly, "She left with some friends. It's just us."

"I like this one. We should keep her," Grepha compliments as she snags a piece of bacon.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

"Huh," Vala seems a bit surprised at the news of Vyvian's exit, but not terribly torn up about it. "Well just us five...or six...or seven...or eight?" She points at the familiars each in turn adding them to the count. "When I say it like tha-" She stops mid sentence abruptly, deciding not to finish whatever thought she had conjured. Sometimes her mouth worked faster than her mind, but it seems she caught up this time. She changes topics, tone clearly hoping to not be pressed further on whatever she had thought. "So, Wood of Sharp Teeth then. Have you got a plan in mind for finding the camp you're - sorry, I guess it's we, not really used to being in a group - we're after? I'm not much for tracking unfortunately, not really something I had to cultivate growing up."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

I can track. And I can speak to the creatures, spirits, and servants of nature that are rumored to be in the woods. If the camp is there, we'll be able to find it eventually. We just need to hope they don't find us first. Caelee quickly assembles a large plate of food and begins tucking into it with a fervor. She was used to eating whatever she could hunt up for the group for meals, so she felt very pampered to have Vala cooking them such delicacies. Assembling a breakfast sandwich from the meats, cheeses, and bread, she enjoys every bite as though it might be their last.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #87

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"Should we notify and work with the Flaming Fist?" Sam suggests, looking out the window. "We know they're on the roads patrolling for the bandits. I'm sure they'd be glad to know where their hideout is."

28. - Top - End - #88

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger

As Vala enters the room, Melian drops the discussion and focuses on the food. She pointedly ignores the reference to Vyvian and silently thanks Sam for addressing it.

"Working with the First might be wise," she says in agreement, spearing a sausage with her fork. "We've helped with the iron crisis so far, they may welcome more help."

Pouring herself some wine, she turns to Vala and thanks her. "This is an amazing spread. Thank you." Despite being perfectly friendly, her voice still betrays the sadness she feels at Vyvian's leaving and the unease from the interrupted discussion.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna sits down, picking a hearty but moderate portion. The Fist will grant us protection but likely will rob us any chance of sneaking in or surprising the enemy. But we may want them to take a few people into custody.

30. - Top - End - #90

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"I'm thinking we could slip in and open up the defenses for the Fist? We don't have the numbers to take on two full bandit gangs, not in the middle of their own camp. And without Vyv we really don't have the skills to sneak in and pick them off or anything like that... And the Fist probably don't have enough to spare on short notice to take them down head on. But maybe together we could manage it," Sam explains his plan hopefully. "I could go with the Fist too, and cover them with my darkness spell when they move in to keep them from getting picked off with bows. And Grepha could help with infiltrating."

"Just remember that the Fist cannot learn of my true nature," the imp reminds him telepathically.