1. - Top - End - #1351
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Warlock
    AC: 12 HP: 32/48 | AC: 13 HP: 17/17
    PP: 10|13 PIv: 15|12 PIs: 11|13
    -- | Blinded (Permanent), Armor of Agathys (5/5 thp)
    Zu HP: 63/63, Hero 3/3, Second Wind 1/1, Action Surge 0/1

The Imp

Climbing up to Caelyn's shoulder, Grepha shifts forms back to the black bird of ill omen. She does not spare words until they are beyond the serpent's hearing. "The man will get what is coming to him yet..." she whispers to the druid. "My recent 'injury' has proven a thorn in our side, but perhaps we can discuss further plans under the open sky."

Shuffling her wings, she adds on the way up the lift, "I may be coming to see the value in flooding the mines, if it is indeed what Seniyad wishes. Or perhaps to put it under the dominion of the druids. With Skie and her father in our pocket assuming Senna's decision to offer that man a stay of execution does not interfere, and valuable intel to offer Sam's contact, we ought to have one or two Dukes in our sphere of influence already. I think we could afford the loss of the mine as a bargaining chip with the city, if it means bringing said druids into that sphere of influence also," the imp ponders quietly with her fiery carrier.

"After all, the Iron Throne is gearing up for an armed conflict - a coup is not very profitable, so I doubt their interests lie there. Perhaps aiming for war profiteering... and the movement of supplies, troops and weapons cannot be done from the safety of city walls. With druids and dryads in our corner, we could control those movements."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-06-20 at 03:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 22 HP: 24/44
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: Aid (5 hours)
    Concentration: -

Senna follows the others outside for a well deserved break from cramped tunnels and a hint of fresh air. The druids are right, the mines are unnatural in their air, but it is needed in a modern society. Listening to Caelyn and Grepha, the cleric ponders for more than just a moment. This was a turning point for her, a question not of morality, but of her goals. In the back of her mind, a small voice urged her to kill Eldoth, to flood the mine, enter the Gate and try to get political influence over Duke Silvershield and the Iron Throne. But she knew this was not so easily achieved.

To speak plainly, what even are our goals anymore? Grepha apparently seeks to replace the bandits in the mine, continuing the slave labor stabilizing the region? Abusing the druids as guards for our precious bargain chip?To be judge, jury and executioner for a man that surely deserves it, but is a small cog in something bigger?

Senna pauses. I hoped our goal was to avenge father, not deal with the Iron Throne. We do that because we ... well, we don't like war and violence. Do we? Was this truly what Gorion would have wanted? What he would have done? Her eyes begin to water.

She turns to Grepha, who knew the least of Gorion as she assumed. No. Gorion would have contacted his friends, captured Eldoth and given him to proper authorities and established a paid workforce for this mine. He would then broker a peace agreement with the druids based on the argument that instability brings war to the region. And that a single wound in the earth is a small price to pay for balance.

He would have walked with Skie in tow to her father. He would brought up his points with sincerity and conviction, pushing for a better future. And we would be smart to follow his example.

Senna pauses and adresses all. I plan the following. Caelyn communes with Seniyad, requesting the mine to be garrisoned by the Flaming Fist. I shall inform the captain to move troops here to prevent an overtaking of the mines. If Seniyad appears, it falls to Sam to broker a peace agreement.

Of course I will also cure your blindness, Grepha.

Finally turning to the devil, she adds. I do not know why you of everyone here are so murder happy all of a sudden. I thought brokered alliances with scum was the whole thing devils did? Is this something more personal?
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-06-21 at 02:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1353

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

The Imp

"Who said anything about keeping the mine running?" Grepha responds with an irritated chip in her voice. "I don't care what the druids do with it, and we're taking the slaves with us to... wherever. But flooding it would be a waste if the druids wish to do something else with the location," she corrects.

She raises her head, looking in the direction she figures Senna is by the sound of her voice. "The man must not be allowed to survive, because the document we used to free Skie from his abusive influence was manufactured." She speaks this part in a very low, un-birdlike hiss, as if the sound of the lift would not shield them from eavesdroppers. "Should he enter the proper courts, it could come to light and jeopardize our hard earned advantages. Not to mention the information he knows of us could be used against us if someone else interrogates him. He is not our friend, he is not our ally, he will turn on us in an instant to save his own skin." The reasons are fairly standard for the imp. Advantages and vulnerabilities. But there is a deeper anger in her tone that is not often there, taking the place of her normal calm bordering on arrogance. Something Senna soon calls out.

Straightening her ruffled feathers, the imp lets out a heavy breath. "You heard what Eldoth said. This scumbag took that girl from her father knowing full well he was already in grief over his son. The man's heart must be shredded in two right now, and karma demands its due. I'm all too happy to oblige by shredding Eldoth's heart in two." Words of sympathy are entwined with a barbed wire of spite.

Regaining her composure again, the imp-bird closes her unseeing eyes. "As for my goals, they are as my goals have always been. I intend to win. There is us and them, there is ally and enemy. Our actions 'till now have made us the Iron Throne's enemy, and that makes them ours'. To secure our future we must eliminate them before they do the same to us. And to find your father's killer we need an information network. These connections and influences serve both ends."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-06-21 at 01:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 41/47
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 3/4 1st, 0/3 2nd, 0/3 3rd

Caelyn spoke firmly and quickly, barely containing the anger that threatens to overwhelm her. "Hypothesizing about what Father would do is senseless. Father is dead, killed by men who are crueler and stronger than him. I will always appreciate his sacrifice, but if we don't want it to be for naught we must be intelligent about our decisions. If we turn Eldoth over to the proper authorities they will most likely kill him. What gives the Dukes of Baldur's Gate more righteousness and authority than us? Their armies? Their titles? I don't see them bleeding and fighting to bring the Iron Throne or Father's killers to justice." She bit her tongue and forced her ire to back down a few steps before continuing.

"Bring him with us and we will have to worry every night that he will slip his bonds and cut our throats. He is an enemy. He CHOSE to do battle with us in an attempt to preserve evil. He knew what he wagered, and he lost. While those people were whipped and abused, he sat in the lap of luxury, preying on the weakness of a young woman and counting the profits of his dastardly endeavor. We can eliminate the threat he represents, bring justice to those he has harmed, and move on from this place with our freed slaves with some peace of mind knowing we don't have a backstabbing servant of evil to take care of." Small trails of smoke rose from Caelyn's hair, and she redoubled her efforts to dampen the anger within her. Some part of her wanted to reach out and slap her sister. Some part of her... wanted something far worse. She would not be dominated by either of them.
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Titan in the Playground

Sam and the Bandits

Grinder lets out a bitter, barking laugh. "Why don't I care? Why do you?" He juts his chin out. "Left a trail of bodies in your wake getting past us, and you're going to have two more on your hands soon enough. Fist are gonna hang us for banditry. Maybe if we're lucky they won't take our hands first. You're not saving him," the mockery in his voice is thick. "You're just making him die slower."

"I knew what I was getting into, we all did. I'm not going to beg or plead, but you may as well just get it over with and save me the blisters."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #1356

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Sam and the Bandits

Regarding Grinder with a distant expression, Sam turns his eyes back to the ailing Scritch. "It would be easier for both of us, I guess. But killing you now when you're tied up and helpless would be murder. You probably wouldn't get why I can't do that, but it is what it is."

"Why get wrapped up in this anyways? Is there nothing better you could have done with your life?"

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

Sam and the Bandits

Another snort of derision from your captive bandit. "They ain't gonna hand us a blade before they hang us, you just think it's fine as long as you don't kill us? Coward." If he had any concerns about antagonising you, he doesn't show it. If anything, he seems to want to push the buttons harder. "You hoping for some sob story?" He eyes you, tilting his neck and back and forth as his gaze bores into you, before continuing in a mock voice. "'I was pushed to it! Came from a poor family and just wanted a warm bed and full belly. It was the only way !'." Another bitter laugh. "Making yourself feel bad about killing us doesn't make you a good person."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna frowned upon her sister's argument. Grepha's reasoning was solid, but felt like the pragmatism that evil people use to justify their vile actions. Nonetheless Grepha oddly had the right of it, but Senna was not convinced. But Caelyn's argument was truehearted, genuine and issued the same pragmatism Grepha did, this time veiled in anger.

You make your point clear, Caelyn. Whatever we will do, the result of Eldoth's fate will be the same. I was a fool to believe justice may do better things than we do. And maybe I am scared this decision suddenly falling upon us. Senna steps a few steps towards Caelyn. But this ... bloodlust is not you, Cae. We may execute him, but it shan't be one of us to do the deed. I fear the darkness within would feed on such a thing. Bhaal is the Lord of Murder. Grepha was about to do it. But she is linked to Sam.

Senna turns her back towards her sister. And I know you are fuming at my previous argument. But before we kill each other over this, I would advise we part ways. I do not wish to fight you, sister, but I would defend myself if you ever were to go after me. We are not some vile drow family going after each other. We are still Gorion's wards. Somewhat disappointed in her sister's lack of self control, the cleric seeks some time alone, best spent in dealing with helping the miner's ailments.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Titan in the Playground

Up Above

"A trade then, perhaps?" Zu, who had been half-listening pipes up with an easy smile - not oblivious to the drama playing out in front of him but apparently not invested in engaging in it. "I put the adhon down, and you regale with a nighttime tale of why Bhaal is on your lips?" The other slaves do not appear to be paying much attention to you, or if they are they're doing a remarkably good job of hiding it. "Though it might ruin any chances I have with that Duke's girl though." The tiefling sighs theatrically. "An artist's lot is to suffer for their work." Vala offers sardonically, and Zu laughs. "You think I'm artistic?" She pointedly doesn't respond.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-06-26 at 02:47 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #1360

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Grepha

Arriving above, their discussion spills out and Grepha 'looks' in the direction of their eavesdropping tiefling acquaintance. "Far be it from me to ask another to do the dirty work I've proposed," she begins, then hesitates. "But it is not my story to tell. If the girls will it, I shall abide. If not, then perhaps the scum will suffer a spider's bite in his sleep..."

Leaving the matter in the siblings' court, Grepha mourns her inability to take off and fly in search of a rodent or two now that they are once more in the open air. Degrading to some, but there is a certain sense of accomplishment in the hunt, and Vala's rabbit stew is not half bad. Confined to Caelyn's shoulder, she asks the druid, "Do you mind if I join you in the woods?"

Sam

Shifting his seated position next to Scritch, Sam rests one arm over his knee and continues to perform the rote motions of the prestidigitation to keep the bandit cool. Far from provoking him, he leans back his head and laughs at Grinder's vitriol. "Ahaha, that's pretty funny. No offense guy, but I'm pretty sure my imp could give better advice on how to be a better person than you."

"I'm just talking cause I'm bored," he admits his motivation behind the line of questioning. "So if you wanna spend the next few hours that could be your last staring at the rocks be my guest. But of all the ways to go out, dying bored is probably the lamest I can think of."

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Senna almost jumps at Zu's presence. Of course, he was still there. Damn it. A quick look of desperation in Caelyn's eyes makes her sigh. I cannot say I am happy to share this. For once because it sounds like lunacy, for another because it endangers us and you, Zu.

Pulling Caelyn and Vala aside, she asks. Should we do this? I am unsure how an intentional execution stirs up the essence in us. But I don't need anyone doing my dirty work. Senna stands back up. You know what? No. I will not give you the satisfaction of being indebted to you. Grepha will do it, and I will be present to give him his last rites to hopefully guide his souls out of the flames of the abyss or hellfire.

Senna squints. Unless you murdering someone entails that? I don't need Eldoth coming back as a devil.

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Titan in the Playground

Up Above

"Dangerous stories are the only ones I care to know." Zu smiles back, but doesn't press the point any further. "But as I can see I'm not needed, I'll go find something strong to drink. They must have something around here. What kind of self-respecting bandits wouldn't keep quality rotgut by the barrel?"

Below

Whether they have any self-respect is a different question entirely. "Not trying to make you be a better person." The bandit sneered. "Trying to make you feel bad, maybe leave you with some of them intrusive thoughts that keep you up at night. Bleeding hearts always have 'em, and if a few of them stick in your craw then I'll call that time well spent. Maybe you'd like all their names? Could talk your ears off for hours about the lives you snuffed out before you snuff out two more."

Up Above

"Doesn't seem like anyone here really wants him alive at this point, does it really matter which one of us does the job if we all want him dead?" Vala shrugs at Senna's question. Her face says the question's rhetorical; she doesn't want an answer. "You'll have to think of something to tell Skie though. Doesn't matter what you put in that letter or how betrayed she feels right now, she's not gonna be happy with you killing him." She glances over to Zu, who has begun searching through the supplies for his desired beverages. "Pure pragmatism? Easier to let him take the brunt of it. If he doesn't, chances are there'll be a little red-skinned Duke-let screaming people's heads off in a year's time."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #1363

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Grepha

"Last rites? How genius," Grepha drawls. "Give him plenty of time to be aware and grab something to fight then point the blind bird at him." She lowers her voice and shakes her head. "If I do the deed now, it will be in the night, a little spider's bite. Simple and clean and plausibly deniable. And most importantly requires little sight."

"If I may offer an alternative," she adds after some consideration. "Turning the man over to the city's law could be problematic... but we could simply turn him over to the druids, to be judged by their law."

Sam

Raising a finger of his free hand, Sam points at his head. "There's worse than you up here." He lets the arm fall without elaborating, leaning over to check on Scritch again. "How about the story of how you got the name 'Grinder'? Does it have to do with your dental health?"
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-06-27 at 05:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Titan in the Playground

Below

"Misery loves company." Grinder seems undeterred. "Apprenticed at an alchemist's place for a time, but all he had me doing was grinding things up, day in, day out. Woulda been fine, 'til he put his hands on me and I smashed his head in with the pestle, left him bleeding out in the mortar." He closes his eyes, relishing the memory. "I can still smell the sulphur sizzling in his brain like it was yesterday." There's clearly no remorse, not that you had been given any reasons to expect there would be. "What name d'you think they'll give you when you're done?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

"I AM NOT GOING TO HURT YOU! I WON'T!" Realizing that she has snapped at her sister in anger, Caelyn sighs and turns away, following Grepha's advice to head for the woods.

But then Caelyn perks up at the suggestion of handing Eldoth over to the druids. "Let the druids do with him as they will. While I question the legitimacy of the lords and ladies of the Gate, I have no questions of their authority over this land." Then she makes her way to the surface, looking for some room to breathe and calm down.
    The Bear is Back.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Then I just hope the druids are good judges of character. Because I can definitely see this sleazeball talk his way out of a druidic trial and turn the druids towards the city. We could barely stop them from murdering us, and we had to promise to stop operations in the mines for that.

17. - Top - End - #1367

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Grepha

"I am uncertain what gave the impression that the druids are merciful to those who defile the woods," Grepha comments aside, before joining Caelyn in the woods. Not actively, exactly. But her perch is moving, and she could use the clear forest air.

"It's a difficult thing fighting a war on multiple fronts. Moreover when one of those fronts is in our souls," the fiendish bird comments to the druid girl, in the quiet of the woods. She doesn't pollute the quiet with more thoughts unbidden, closing her blind eyes and enjoying the wind. It feels a lot more vivid somehow, without sight in the way.

Sam

It's nothing unexpected from the bandit. He hadn't given Sam any indication yet that he even had the capacity for remorse. Still the question makes the half-dragon ponder. What would he wind up being called in the end? Would their secret get out, and brand him 'Son of Bhaal'? Casting his eyes back on the past, no particular event rises to the surface to present itself as a name or a title. "... Something to do with dragons, maybe," he evades, not keen on sharing his earlier thoughts.

"What about Scritch? Not exactly an imposing name. He's not really an imposing guy."

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

Caelyn walks with Grepha deeper into the forest, wanting with all her heart to get away from the moral conundrums. Away from the murderous feelings. Away from the family that she cared so much for... but couldn't stop dreaming about. Dreams of pain and violence. Dreams that ended in dark, tempting, powerful solitude. Dreams from Bhaal, no doubt.

When Grepha spoke, Caelyn sighed and watched the way the wind played through the boughs of the trees. "Having your soul be the front line of a battle is tough enough without feeling like you're losing. I don't know what I'm going to do, Grepha. Sam and Senna are just so... naïve and trusting. Of our friends. Of our enemies. Of... me... when maybe they shouldn't be..." When she realizes she is coming dangerously close to confiding in a being made of pure evil and domination, a tear races down the druid's cheek. "We should get back. It's good to get air and get away from all that, but it doesn't change our responsibility."
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #1369

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Grepha

Caelyn's voiced thoughts go uninterrupted by Grepha. The imp-bird remains quiet, letting her voice her uncertainties- then they are cut off, just before slipping the floodgates. Only a single tear. Not that Grepha can see it.

"You are right of course, there is much work left to be done," releasing the last breath of restful air, Grepha puts her own armor back on, metaphorically speaking. Her business voice is back, and she makes herself stand up a little straighter. "To begin with, there are many hungry mouths to feed. We've gone to the effort of saving these people, so letting them die before they can sing our praises would be a waste."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-07-01 at 01:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Titan in the Playground

Below

"Can't see an animal without wanting to scritch it behind the ears. Weird compulsion, some people said he was cursed." Grinder can't shrug, exactly, but he still makes the effort. "I just think he's a weird pain in the ass, but he'll be scratching demons behind the ears in hell soon."

Above, the Same Day

With Eldoth's 'fate' decided upon, for now at least, there's little else to take care of. The slaves are fed and watered and they can either sleep under the open sky (as some seem to wish to) or retire into one of the tents if they desire privacy. Zu and Vala spend some time drinking the alcohol the tiefling procured from...somewhere, but she retires early to recover, taking one of the 'nicer' standing tents. When Zu finally heads to bed himself, he does make a vocal offer to you all that if any of you wish to join him, they should feel free. "The drink won't slow me," he assures, with a flirtatious laugh, but he doesn't wait for a response before disappearing. How serious is he? A question for the wind.

Above, the Next Day

In the early hours of the morning, after dawn has broken but while the sun still hangs low in the sky, Seniyad's bird appears to Caelyn and delivers a message to her ears only. "We would kill any slavers; do with them as you will. See the slaves from Cloakwood, but we cannot escort them while watching the Shadows." A perfect 25 word message for her. Perhaps it's not quite as wished for,

Vala is, thankfully, seemingly fully recovered and is up before any of you (perhaps as a result of her early retirement) and already has food cooking before any of you awaken, including a large put of pleasant smelling porridge flavoured with butter for the slaves - the recovery from malnutrition and starvation in the mines would be a long one, and rushing them to 'normal' food immediately could cause them problems. Her mood seems much improved at least.

At some point in the night Skie emerged from the mines below and now sits on the north end of the island gazing out at the water. Though she can't see Baldur's Gate for the trees, she seems to still be looking towards it. Vala and the slaves give her a wide berth; the former because she's busy, the latter because they're wary of her. With only one exit, Eldoth seems to have seen that escape is unlikely, and has remained below.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-07-01 at 05:32 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

At night:
    Seeing as Sam and Vala have the medical situation very much under control, Senna tells them to notify her of any imminent emergencies with the workers. She goes to fiddle with her bells for a few hours, a dark and arcane art where she feels right at home. Manipulating evil forces to do her bidding, which was not necessarily good anymore, she felt, was the right job for now. Hitting up a snag in her fiddling, she instead searches for Zu to confide in him. Senna appears at about the time Zu heads to bed with a flirtatious offer, but she cares little what the others think of her.

In the tent, she sits the tiefling down. I promised to tell you of Bhaal, and I thought to cut the truth right in the middle before the spicy parts come up, but it would feel dishonest. But I will not give you the full picture.

As you may know during the Time of Troubles the gods were forced to walk among us; some twenty-ish years ago. Well, apparently me and my friends were tainted by the then-god of murder's essence. It weighs heavy on our minds. Caelyn is devoted to nature. I am sanctified as a cleric of Deneir. We struggle with every step if our claims of faith are legitimate. Sam? Well, he won his power in a card game.

But I am sure you do know what it is like, right?

Senna could not help but touch the tiefling's horns and his cut body. As a nurse, she was a very physical person, she was tired and her curiosity took the better of her. Did the horns have skin? Did his skin have scales? Why was his appearance so much more different than hers, despite his heritage from the lower planes being more distant.

And a small part of Senna was more than just intrigued by Zu. All that bravado and swagger did in fact impress her.

22. - Top - End - #1372

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha
    AC: 12 HP: 48/48 | AC: 13 HP: 17/17
    -- | Blinded (Permanent), ---
    Zu HP: 63/63, Hero 3/3, Second Wind 1/1, Action Surge 1/1

At Night

Sam remains below that night, apparently intend on forgoing rest to continue tending to Scritch's heatstroke. "Demons is the Abyss actually, Devils are in Hell," Sam idly corrects in a brief aside.

"So knowledgeable," a small, sardonic voice comes from a spider crawling its way slowly across the floor. Finding her way around has proven difficult for Grepha, but there is at least a general 'awareness' of Sam's location through their bond. Climbing carefully to his shoulder, she shifts into a black bird. "I would offer to take a shift watching the prisoners but, well, you know."

"You could attach spider webs to them so you can feel if they start moving around, like a real spider," the half-dragon suggests, met with a thoughtful tilt of the bird's head.

"Cleverer than I give you credit for."

Shifting again into a tiny spider, Grepha begins attaching webs to the rope-bound bandit pile, and a few across the doorways to alert her should Eldoth come creeping around. As she works, she idly casts a Spare the Dying cantrip upon the unfortunate Scritch to see if it will cease his being a pain in her ass. Twisting Bhaal's power to the ends of healing never ceases to fill her with a sense of schadenfreude.

"Careful. He might scritch you behind the ears," Sam taunts, good-naturedly.

"Finally, the treatment I deserve around here," she snipes back.

The two seem to have forgotten poor Grinder in their friendly back-and-forth. Armed in turn with Prestidigitation to cool Scritch and Spare the Dying to push back the jaws of death, the two settle upon taking shifts, while Grepha telepathically catches Sam up on their plans for Eldoth... not all of which he agrees with, but more than expected of which he understands.

Morning

Sam joins Vala in handing out the porridge that morning, after transporting the pair of bandits up above. He regularly refreshes Scritch's cooled clothing should he still be in poor condition.

When the time comes for their groups' morning meeting, he sits in a place with the pair still in view. "So the druids don't care what we do with them, and would intend to execute them anyways..." Sam folds his arms and glances their way. "I spoke with Grinder some, he's pretty obviously an unrepentant killer. Grepha seems convinced Eldoth is a manipulative sociopath and... I don't really have a read on Scritch, but he seems like a cockroach. Doing whatever he has to to survive another day. He has cooperated with us, and he already faced a near death experience, so..."

"I'm not going to go to war with you guys over some bandits, but I'm not ready to sentence Scritch to death yet. I want to ask around with the slaves to see what he was like towards them, see if there's any chance he can be rehabilitated."

"I'm sure you all know my stance," the imp comments from her perch above, in her usual guise of a bird. "But gathering information instead of assuming this 'Scritch' has a hidden heart of gold is at least a reasonable choice. I see no reason to dissuade Sam from this course."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2022-07-02 at 04:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

Night (Zu)

The tiefling doesn't pull away from Senna's touch, instead leaning back and letting her probe where she would - his skin, almost too smooth and soft; his horns barely nibs, invisible behind his dark hair unless searched for. "So you three are...kh'dada?" He asks, eyes lilting low. "Demigods? Godchildren?" The twinge of his lips says that he doesn't quite believe you - or perhaps he doesn't believe it to be true. Maybe he's not doubting that you believe it, just that it's fact. "My family is almost criminally normal, humans one and all. The way the dastan was told, Asmodeus himself touched my bloodline a thousand generations past." He laughs it off, gesturing to himself with a light tail flick. "I expect the truth isn't quite so audacious. More likely my bada'gu took a succubus to bed and it left him with a mark that rubbed off on me. What you see is what you get though, there's no 'taint' on me, whatever that is."

He reaches out a hand and cups Senna's chin, his golden eyes beaming into hers, the light of play giving away to seriousness, and hunger. "I can tell you're not experienced. Last chance to head to bed before I forget myself after weeks of being caged."

Morning

"Problem is," Vala muses as she serves out food in whatever containers she can find. "he switched sides to save his hide." Her intentional rhyme hangs in the air for a moment before she continues. "How long 'til he switches back for the same reason? If his only motivation is staying alive, he's only one hungry belly from being back to banditry. He might be all apologies now, but he might sing a different tune without a half-dragon looming over him - or with a different one doing the looming."

If Sam was hoping for a rousing endorsement of Scritch from the collected freed slaves, he finds none from his questioning. Most wouldn't know one slaver from another and readily tell you as such, and those who do know him either by name or description mark him as no different from the others: his whips cracked just as hard, food and water held out of reach just the same way, and if he held any secret regrets for his actions he never showed it to the slaves. The only difference in their verdicts is whether he deserves to die fast or slow; but none of them have any mercy in their heart for the man.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    2 / 6 d8 HD

Night

Caelyn moves her bed roll as far from the firelight as she can and promptly turns in, again defying her normal routine by laying down and sleeping, not trancing like elves normally do. Her rest is not very restful, however, as she whimpers and cries out during the night, occasionally with just a yelp of pain, but sometimes with feverish recounting of names. "Aintas... Senna... Sam...Melian... NO!

Morning

Caelee is quick to get food in the morning, uttering a flat thanks to Vala for the breakfast. However, she eats at her bedroll some distance from everyone. The young elf has dark circles around her eyes and a look of weariness that diminishes her like daylight weakens a shadow.
    The Bear is Back.

25. - Top - End - #1375

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Morning

Sam is disappointed, but not surprised, when he reports the slaves' testimonies. "I know, Vala," he says, a smidgen of insult in his tone. "I'm not as naive as people think I am. But doing the right thing is never an easy road. Bahamut's scriptures-" "Sam-" "- say that-" "- Samuel!"

Interrupted by Grepha, he looks up at the perched raven. "Listen well. You are not a cleric or a paladin of Bahamut. You are not ordained by a church, nor have you sworn yourself to an order. You are not obligated to redeem this man. You do not have the expertise, nor the backing and resources of an organization, to contain and 'rehabilitate' him into a functioning member of society. If you continue to behave like some kind of preacher, an actual ordained cleric of Bahamut is eventually going to show up and wonder who the devil-toting false prophet wandering around the Sword Coast is, and it is not going to end well."

The imp's tirade shuts Sam's mouth, and he stares down at the wood of the table like a scolded child. He wants to speak up and argue, but she's not wrong. His voice is muted when he speaks, like a whisper. "It still doesn't feel right. Not because a god says so, it just... it feels wrong."

Grepha heaves out a heavy sigh through her beak. "Good. If it felt 'right' I would worry of your father's influence... there is one idea I have," her voice shifts from the concerned friend ally to the scheming devil, a sly expression forming and looking uncanny upon the raven's face. She hops down to the table. "A little something I've pondered testing out... what if I offer to make a deal with Scritch, play the devil and make it seem like I will free him in return for pledging his soul and helping me kill you, when in truth his soul will be bound by contract to you- much like mine. A little test of character... if he refuses, you have some proof for your company that there is some decency in the man. If he accepts and my little idea works, you will have the means to control this man, and guide him to whatever benevolent purpose you desire until you feel he has repaid his debt."

Sam fixes her with a deadpan expression. "Alright, this might be the first actual evil act you've tried tempting me to do. I'm not really down with soul enslavement."

"Enslavement, your own little divine purgatory to clean the souls of sinners, it's a matter of perspective," lifting her wings in a shrug, Grepha stares blindly at the space near Sam's head. "But if you want the man to live, this is the easiest way test his character. If he accepts and you don't want the deal, just can release him afterwards and let the others do what they will. His fate changes none from its current state."

Still skeptical, Sam looks over at the others gathered at their little meeting.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Night
    Gods and demons influence anyone somehow. And who says otherwise is lying. Senna summons a soft night light that makes the tent a bit brighter on a tankard, but puts it where the light emphasizes Zu's physical features. I do not know what happened or how, but we are connected. By family, and by blood, it seems. Senna asks the unarmored man to doff her half-plate. Romance or no, the armor would have to go during the night.

As Zu comes closer to her, she continues. If you are a mistake, it may cause me grief, but a missed chance is even worse. With these words, Senna kisses Zu.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reminder: Her boots stay on, but I doubt that detail is important. Unless you are angling for some bedroom comedy were Zu misses Senna by a few inches...

Morning

Waking up early not to miss her morning prayers, Senna dresses herself hastily to sneak out the back of Zu's tent. Even at this hour some of the workers are awake. Instead of nodding to them, Senna becomes extremely red in her face and sets up her prayer routine even further from the camp. Enjoying dawn of a new day, she tries to concentrate on her praying candle, and the parts of the Metatext her prayer requires, but cannot quite concentrate on it. Where her faith waivered but her procedures of liturgy were immaculate, today was completed different. Senna's mood and optimism returned, but her prayers were what the headpriest of Oghma once described as badly copied and repeatedly shakingly. Her faith nonetheless is renewed, and her miracles are granted.

Returning to the camp she tries to avoid eye contact all while fidgeting on her leather vest, her shirt, tabard or trousers. Nothing seemt to fit her now, except her cursed boots. Coming back to a discussion about morality, Senna is suddenly invested. The man deserves punishment, but neither capital one, nor one of the soul. Senna was mad with Grepha. This is exactly the thing were moderate prison sentences would come in handy. Or even serving as a guard somewhere. These people are not beyond help, but they need a stern hand to be guided back to law and order. Senna smiles. We may know a man in Beregost who could do just that. Without death by hanging or purgatory. Though he would sometimes pray for either if I know the acting Captain there. With a smile, Senna hints at Aintas. He might not be happy to reform a criminal but he is the best man to do it.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Titan in the Playground

Night

With the word and kiss given, the tiefling doesn't hold back any more. He compensates for Senna's clumsy inexperience with his own skills, and his boasts seem well founded, and the hunger in his eyes proves just as deep as expected, with a seemingly bottomless well of energy and desire in the young man. He seems unconcerned about any noise, trusting the folds of the tent to do their job and otherwise spending all his efforts on satisfying both himself and Senna. Despite his devil-may-care attitude, his attention to his partner is clear, and he is not in any way 'selfish' in his actions. Eventually, however, even he cannot maintain himself, and sleep takes you both, though perhaps for less time than you'd like.

Morning

Vala rolls her eyes at Sam, half in good-nature, half in mockery, but when Grepha details her proposal her mood turns sour. "So this is what your 'guiding' is worth, is it Grepha? Just a smidge of soul-slaving to Sam who, in case you forgot, has ties to-" She's cut off when Zu emerges at last from his tent, all a-swagger and seemingly energised despite the nocturnal exploits (or perhaps because of them). "I do hope I'm interrupting," he says with a smirk as he curves around in search of food - and finds it. "I'd say my debt for being rescued is paid up after yesterday." He doesn't hide or disguise the glance at Senna. "Vala told me yesterday you're hunting shadow druids, but it seems to me you've still got a little bit of a former slave problem and a certain heartbroken Dukedaughter on your hands and I'd very much like to be back in civilisation."

With a smirk and a light tilt of the head, he makes his offer: "So how about I take them off your hands, escort the rescued, drag the prisoners - however many you care for - back to the city, and you all get to hunt down your druids without having to take the round trip. It's a win-win." "What do you get out of it?" Vala asks, her eyes ever so slightly narrowed with suspicion. "I'd like to say the satisfaction of a good deed done...but that would be a lie. I'm after coin. Even if the Duke doesn't offer any for Skie's return, it might turn into paying work. It helps to be friends with powerful people." He rubs his fingers and thumb together, miming phantom coins that tumble in your mind's eye. "I'd mention you all of course, you won't be unsung heroes, but seems to me it's a win-win for us both. And maybe if I don't have a job when you get to the Gate, you could hire me on. My skills don't come cheap, but they're worth it."

Vala purses her lips, looking to Sam, Senna, and then over to Caelyn at a distance. She glances back at the two siblings she's stood with, and then nudges her head at the far one - a gesture that they should probably talk to the young druid.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #1378

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam | Grepha

Morning

"I do not miss that you say men, Senna, as if you intend to take all three and lay the work at Aintas' feet. Not even getting into the laughable idea of making bandits into guards- yes, compound Beregost's issue of housing the laziest guard force on the Coast, by adding corruption and protection rackets into the mix."

Scratching his head, Sam nods along. "Sorry, I'm with Grepha on that one. I'm not gonna slough our problems off on anyone, especially not Aintas."

Grepha chuckles at Vala's vitriol. "How do you wage war against a dead god? How do you grind him into the dir-" as she's beginning to preach the virtues of her plan, Zu makes himself known. Unfortunately, she has no eyes with which to ogle to just-woken and likely scantily clad tiefling.

"Uh, can you manage to feed all these people by yourself?" Sam asks skeptically at Zu's proposal.

"It does free us to eliminate the shadow druids and secure our clout with the men of the woods. Speaking of which, shouldn't you go see what's keeping Caelyn?" Grepha suggests verbally what Vala suggests in her motions, unaware of their cross-communication jinx. Looking over at Caelyn lurking at the edges of camp, Sam agrees and gets up to go see her.

Leaving Grepha in the company of Zu and Vala. "... Anyways, as I was saying Vala, you turn it against itself. Make it cannibalize itself. Use that authority to prevent a killer from killing, twist it and use a killer's hands to mend," she quietly explains her reasoning. "Every scratch bleeding a little more power away."

At the Edge

"Are you good, Cae?" Sam asks, sliding to a seat next to his sister.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, it would be easier to feed them if I wasn't dragging three unrepentant adhon to a noose, but yes, I can manage." Zu looks around the camp. "There'll be enough here to carry what we need. Worst comes to worst," he flexes his bottomless belt gap, "I can stick some food in here, though I'd rather not get it close to my coin."

"Or you feed them." Vala needles Grepha. "Pretty sure most devils making deals don't get weakened and drained when they promise things, or they wouldn't make the deals at all. You're putting another soul in..." She bits her tongue again on saying the name. "Scritch'll be dead before long no matter how you deal with them. Signing their soul up to the one being you don't want empowered is stupid."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 47/47
    Conditions:
    Concentrating on:
    5 / 6 d8 HD
    Spell Slots- 4/4 1st, 3/3 2nd, 3/3 3rd

At the Edge

Caelyn's eyes flashed up at Sam as he began sitting down, her dark rimmed eyes looking first angry that he has interrupted her solitude, then haunted and pleading at his words, then cold and hollow as she collected herself. She tries to portray herself as distant and cool, but the rush of emotions shows her for what she truly is- a scared woman on the edge of a cliff, holding on by the tips of her fingers.

I'm fine, Sam. Don't worry about..." She twitched, her hand visibly reaching for her staff, another red flash of anger crossing her face. "No! Gods damn you, NO!" She threw the staff away from herself and caught her face in her hands and begins to sob. "Sam, I'm so scared! I can't trance! I've tried and I've tried and I just sit there for hours. The only way I can rest is to sleep, and there's barely any respite there! I dream... horrible, dark dreams, Sam. I dream I'm hurting people. And enjoying it. First it's people who deserve it- the slavers, Eldoth, the Shadow Druids. But then I see myself hurting others... Zu, Vala... my brothers and sisters..." The druid rubbed at her eyes and tried to collect herself. "And I know the answer isn't just to hold it all inside like I have been, but I don't know what else to do! It bubbles up out of me like beans out of a pot, and I lash out. And it feels amazing to lash out, like I'm free and powerful and righteous... but I feel that way if I'm punishing slavers or... yelling at Senna... or worse."

She reached a shaking hand for her brother's and squeezed it. "These last fights have been difficult, and I don't feel like I'm bragging to say that if I wasn't there they might not have gone our way. But every day it gets harder to hold in. Harder to sleep. Darker dreams..." She squeezes his hand again, strong enough for her fingernails to dig into his scales. "I don't know if it will work... but before she left Melian and I would speak of the Seldarine. She was teaching me about our heritage. And she told me that even though most elves trance there is an elven goddess of the moon and true sleep- Sehanine Moonbow. I don't know if she'd help me or give me guidance or strike me dead for the taint in my soul... but I think it's my last hope... whatever she decides to do with me..."
    The Bear is Back.