New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Crisis Part 2 (IC)

Druid Grove

"No, I can safely say you don't smell like Grepha, thankfully. Well, Sam's got a bit of a devil-smell to him but that's what you'd think right? I mean they're..." She pokes her two index fingers together, crosses and then links them, "you know? I don't really know what to make of you all though, which is..." she blushes, just a little, at the confession, "...part of why I wanted to join. Curiosity. Wanted to know if the weird vibe meant you were all like me, whatever 'me' is. Verdict's still out though, but I guess we'll work it out eventually?"

Dryad Glade

Her seeds handed over, she bows her head in thanks before addressing Senna. "You may call me Tilia, and you need not worry about the forest, I will care and recover it in time, and my sisters will do the same for any areas beyond my reach." With her hands now empty she gestures to the pool once more. "When you are ready, simply jump into the pool and you will appear at the empty site." She peers over at Rosc Roche and the wagon, before looking back at the pool, suddenly in thought. "You may wish to send your wagon first, so it does not fall on top of you."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 23/33
    PP: 17 PIv: 12 PIs: 17
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

With Vala.
    Well, I have my theories. But I do not want to color anyone's opinion or judgment before we actually know. the cleric adds. None of my siblings seem particularly interested about the metaphysics of this, but they keep me grounded. Their issue is with the partial control this applies to our being. But this may be the more pressing matter really. Something within us enjoys destruction. But seeing as Deneir is a deity of specifically inventing things that should not harm others, I believe the desire to destroy and kill is ingrained in our common cultures. I hope and pray, my faith is enough to counterbalance this issue.

Senna looks Vala up and down again. I already stated you do not look like you're destructive enough, I have seen a difference. Maybe we are just the weird ones for pointing this out. Other adventurers and mercenaries regularly kill and destroy: Take the Knights of Myth Drannor or the Companions of Mithril Hall. Take Brianna Burdun or Cadderly Bonaduce. Even the high priests of my own faith were forced to take up arms regularly. Out of necessity, not out of lust for killing. She pauses, touching her healing kit which she keeps outside of her backpack. After all, the rush of battle is the best anesthetic there is. Maybe it is just nature trying to keep us alive.

Do you allow me to write down your name in our records, or does it hold power, or endanger you, Tilia? Senna asks gently.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam
    Half-Dragon Warlock | Imp Familiar
    AC: 12 HP: 39/39 | AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10|14 PIv: 15|10 PIs: 11|13
    Conditions: --- | --

"I'm down with the plan," Sam concurs, nodding to Vala. "If we can question some of them or keep them from getting back to camp, we could get an advantage later on. Could even blame their disappearance on Malarite druids if you guys get questioned trying to get into camp, we already know those are around here."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    AC: 15 HP: 39/39
    PP: 17 PIv: 10 PIs: 17
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn walks back to mount Rosc Roche, gently urging him forward toward the pool. It would be rough running for the horse- he had no conception of magic, and would have to operate purely on his trained loyalty with Caelee. Hopefully it would be enough to convince the big brown boy that it was safe to walk into the pond while bound to a heavy wagon.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ready to take the plunge!
    The Bear is Back.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Druid Grove

"You say I'm not destructive enough...but you did see me stab that druid-wolf-guy-thing through the eye, right?" Indeed there's still a few flecks of the crimson lifeblood speckled across the end of her weapon. She gives a clear sigh, picking her words carefully. "I'm not going to say I like killing. I don't think most people have any ingrained or inherent desire to hurt others. I mean, I guess some might? But how much of this is just how they're brought up?" Vala languidly gestures at the results of your battle - the bodies, the burns, the blood. "Then again the gods can't seem to go half a day without waging some sort of war on each other. It's only been...what, ten years or so since they all got thrown down here for the Godswar? No wonder some people jump to killing as the first, or only, solution when that's who we've got to 'look up to'." There's a bitterness in her voice, but she seems to push it down when she adds, a little more sheepishly, "That was probably not the best thing to say to a devout priest?"

Dryad Glade/Abandoned Campsite

"Tilia is but the name I give to others. I doubt you would be able to spell, or perhaps even hear, my true name. It is a word of the woods, of the winds. It is not something that can be easily scribed." She responds with a somewhat prideful, though not necessarily denigrating, tone.

With any final questions asked, answered and confirmations given, you are beckoned to head into the pool. The process is less than gentle. Regardless of whether you step or leap, as Tilia advised, you find your world rotating immediately. Perhaps to ensure you are not left half-in and half-out the moment any part of you touches the pool you are sucked through it until you are completely submerged by water, though this lasts for only a second. Falling down into the water shifts to falling 'sideways', blasting you out horizontally into the centre of the abandoned campsite one by one. The shaded cover of the glade gives way to the blazing sun overhead, which is good, because you are all now thoroughly soaked from head to toe. Any hopes that the water would be left in the pool is short lived, and though brief you've all ended up with a coat of water.

Rosc Roche is, predictably, upset by this turn of events, stomping their hooves and braying loudly in confusion, and it takes some time and careful coaxing before he's willing to move anywhere at your direction. When he does so it's markedly less assured than before, which slows your pace further.

True to Tilia's word, the tracks of both the large group and the smaller ones are easily located when you're there in person and not peering through a pool of water. With a trail picked, you begin to follow it back through similar-looking woods as before. So similar you might be forgiven for believing you were on a trail you'd already passed from another direction, though Caelyn's natural knowledge says this is unlikely.

Unfortunately while the trail is still there, you do not find your intended bandits by the time the sun begins to drift down towards the horizon and night approaches. A decision point presents itself - continue on through the dark, eschewing rest and threatening to exhaust yourselves in hopes of finding your target, or make camp and begin the journey anew in the morning?

Show

My guess is you'll be resting (though if not that's totally fine too) and if so, pick a watch order. Assuming you want anyone on watch that is...

Vala will want the last watch, so she can get a headstart on morning food making.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-12-24 at 02:46 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

6. - Top - End - #186

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

The emergence from the pool leaves Sam dripping wet, holding up his arms and flicking them downwards to slough off the excess water. Grepha flutters and flaps her wings to dry off, spraying Sam and the others in the process. "Ugh. I'm not sure what I was expecting."

As they progress down the trail, into the evening, Sam suppresses a yawn. Without knowing how far they are from the bandits they're trailing he talks quietly to the others, "Should we set up camp? I'm still good to carry on for a while, don't know about the rest of you."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (16) HP: 31/34
    PP: 14 PIv: 17 PIs: 11
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8h)
    Concentrating: --

Melian takes a moment to ensure her pack is as watertight as she can make it and that her books are protected. She then holds her familiar tightly in the crook of her elbow and takes the plunge.

Once out, she immediately begins using her magic to dry her belongings, worried about the tomes, and only once satisfied all is well, begins to dry herself and the others. Fëanáro, surprisingly, did not seem to mind the experience.

Night begins to fall and her eyes start adjusting to the dark. "I can keep going a while longer," she answers Sam.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelyn immediately hops off Rosc Roche once they are out of the water, grabbing a blanket from the back of the cart and beginning to rub him down. Horses could easily get sick if they were wet for too long, and that was the last thing she wanted to happen to her friend. She also sought to refresh the trust that had inevitably been damaged by driving the gelding into a magical pool he could not possibly understand. She cooed to him, whispered to him in elvish, and took the time to let him smell her, hoping it would calm him down. Once she was done babying him, she hopped back up on his back and urged him forward on the trail of the smaller party of bandits.

Later that evening...

I can keep going, but at this point I would suggest I take the lead. I can move quickly, quietly, and hidden. If we do come upon these bandits in this large a group they are going to know we are coming. She gestures to the cart as she speaks as though to demonstrate her point.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Seeing nothing without any light, Senna incants a small light charm onto her tabard. I am not sure if the gods were especially cruel to eschew infravision only with me. But at least I got a buddy that has the same problem as me. she looks at Vala. Having a difficulty reading her reaction, or if the spear fighter even heard her, she adds. unless you're saying I am the only one again.

Dabbling with her cat familiar, Glyph, she tries to maybe just guide herself through the darkness with its infravision. I can take a watch if you want, but I think I should just set up a few alarm spells around camp. The password for tonight is Tilia.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume using the familiar as eyes balancing on her shoulders is both dependant on the cat's acrobatics and not viable in fight?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Vala looks up at the dimming sky. "My glow thing's really only for fighting or impressing kids. Not exactly a long-term shine, unfortunately. And uh...nope, can't see in the dark, we've got that in common there." She shoots Senna a small thumbs up of acknowledgement. "Woulda been nice if there'd been a magic pair of glasses for that in the weird druid altar instead of a magic saw, but what can you do?"

Deciding to press on, you continue following the trail even as the sun vanishes and night presses in around you. In the light the woods had been somewhat claustrophobic, with clustered trees pressing in and any straight paths, but it had otherwise been a fairly calm walk. At night the difference is stark and immediate. The moon in the sky, halved by its phases, offers little in the way of usable light even before its cut off by the canopy overhead. Every shadow ahead, to the side, in the corner of your eye, becomes a monster constructed by the mind. Flickering and shifting silhouettes are only enhanced by the sounds of the night. Howls of wolves meld with screams of man - or worse - off in the distance, but through the clustered trees it sometimes sounds like it's just one corner away. Already spooked and on edge from the watery-portal, Rosc Roche's pace drops further, unaccustomed to nocturnal excursions like these. It isn't helped that you are going for longer than normal, and though the constant watchfulness of the surroundings keep you alert, it doesn't necessarily make you feel any less tired for lack of sleep/trancing. Perhaps even the opposite.

Roughly five hours after night fell, when "night" is now "early morning", though still a few hours away from dawn, Caelyn spots another source of light breaking through the trees. Straining ears you can't hear anything over the noise of the forest at night, but should you send an advance familiar-scout or three they'll find a small campsite with a fire at its centre. Two small tents, perhaps large enough for two comfortably or three at a squeeze, are set up in a clearing. A few wooden logs have been dragged around the fire to serve as seats, and there's a number of dead animals - deer, rabbits, pheasants and the like - bundled together. Your scout familiar(s) also see two humans, sat on opposite sides of the fire with their backs to it. They're dressed in loose clothing, with what looks like leather armour pieces patched in where they could. Crossbows sit at their feet, daggers and axes at their belts. Though they may have been intended to serve as camp watchers, one is clearly asleep, with his chin to his chest and rhythmic snoring, while the other is engrossed in skinning a rabbit. Two large mastiffs are quietly sleeping by the fire, with a pile of what looks like dog-armour piled next to them.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #191

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Grepha returns from scouting, climbing up to Sam's shoulder in her true form as her invisibility fades away. She reports her findings of the camp and suggests, "We should knock out and capture the lot of them, before they can raise the alarm. Then we determine who has useful information and interrogate them."

"Uh, as long as interrogate doesn't mean like.. torture or anything, I agree," Sam says. "We need more info about the big camp. And we kinda don't really know if they're bandits for sure yet - not that I see much chance otherwise."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

I think they are quick to agree once they realize they are outnumbered and outmatched. Senna states plainly. I'll just say that more fire might possibly ruin any viable disguises we could take off of them. The cleric glances at Caelyn, clearly smiling.

If you have any tricks or plans that do not involve an open attack, say them now. The only thing I have is this bell and it kind of is pointless unless I can walk inside. She shows the soothing bell she attained in Beregost meant to put people to sleep.
    Last edited by Spore; 2020-12-27 at 10:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

I do have tricks other than just fire... Caelee sounds a little defensive about this, rapidly proceeding into a plan. I have a spell that will shroud us in darkness and deaden our footsteps. As long as we move in one group, we could use it to get very close. Then I can make the dogs a non-issue with another spell. We can move to surround the enemy, display to them overwhelming force and numbers, and hopefully, with a little intimidation from Sam, they will surrender to us. Anyone see issue with this plan?
    The Bear is Back.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melian Galanodel
    Eladrin Bladesinger
    AC: 13 (16) HP: 31/34
    PP: 14 PIv: 17 PIs: 11
    Conditions: Mage Armor (8h)
    Concentrating: --

Melian nods agreement at Caelyn's suggestion. "I can also make at least one of us invisible. We must be careful that they do not sound any alarms."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Caelyn's spell wraps you in quiet, muffling your footsteps. Errant branches seem to almost move themselves from your path as your party sneaks forwards towards the campfire. As expected, the situation hasn't changed any since Grepha's scouting. All four of the individuals outside of the tents don't notice your approach. The sleeper keeps sleeping, the skinner keeps skinning and the dogs quietly snooze away. You're able to approach such that you can stand right behind the...bandits? hunters? whatever they might be, you can get within breathing distance, and still they don't notice you. The spell from Caelyn cast seems to not only muffle your sound and camouflage your forms, but also dull your scent, as the dogs don't seem to perk up at your approach.

With weapons in hand - for Vala at least - you stand in perfect position to act, literally on top of your targets.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

I always wanted to do this. the youngest sibling whispers. She then sneaks into the camp with relative low effort, her clanking armor somehow cushioned by the druidic magic. She then taps the guy on the left shoulder, swiveling to his right.

Turn slowly and do not make any mistakes. We got you surrounded. she states clearly.

Spoiler
    Show
    If he attacks, I would like to cast Command "grovel" on him.

17. - Top - End - #197

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"Let's keep this friendly, shall we?" Sam adds, from his spot beside Senna. His hands are lifted, palm up, in what looks to be a gesture of being unarmed. Of course it's also a perfectly ready position to begin hurling bolts of force. "Name and affiliation seems a good place to start."

Grepha, still invisible, takes to the sky to watch the surrounding area with her keen devil's sight.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Sam: Persuasion with Advantage
    (1d20+4)[16]
    (1d20+4)[22]

Grepha Perception to keep watch:
    (1d20+1)[19]

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Vala accentuates the threats by placing the point of her spear not directly on the man's throat, but near enough for the threat to be well understood. The skinner drops what he's holding - knife included - and gently raises his hands in an open gesture of surrender. He turns, slowly, in place to face you, his eyes glancing to the sleeping dogs and snoring companion, all of which have yet to wake up. "Sure, ah, 'appy to 'elp o'course, wha'ever you wan'." He keeps his voice low, apparently not wanting to change the situation of the interrogation he's now found himself in. He swallows, eyes continuing to dart around the camp - at each of you in turn, to the tents, to the fire, to the darkness of the woods. "Name's Loog, me'n'my friends here are hun'ers, sell our game to t'Friendly Arm nearby see." He juts his head towards the bundled caught animals. "Take 'em if you wan' 'em, I won' say nothin', they're all yours."

Through the darkness, and also just in general, Grepha can't see anything concerning nearby.

Spoiler: Senna/Caelyn Passive Insight
    Show

He's lying.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

]
    Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

I know you are lying, 'Loog'. Did it occur to you people confessed to their priests? Did it occur to you I know lies?

We know you are affiliated with the Blacktalons. And we need your 'help' in exchange for your lives.
    she says calmly.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

"Wha? How'd yo-" He shifts forward slightly but his words are cut off when Vala presses the blade of the spear directly against skin, wagging the finger on her free hand in a clear Don't even think about it gesture. Loog - he wasn't lying about his name - huffs. "Alrigh' alrigh' fine," he continues, defeated. "So maybe we are Blacktalons, i' ain' the sorta' thin' you just go blabbin' ya know. But I'm in this for the coin and the comfort, none of which I get if I'm wormfood, so uhhh, how can I help?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #201

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"To start off, let's make sure everything stays quiet," Sam motions to the others, "Let's provide him some rope to muzzle the dogs. I trust you'll keep them quiet if they wake up Loog, for the sake of civility. Let's bind and gag his friend here, too while we're at it."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

If you provide us with a way to find the base of yours, and an easy way inside, we will not turn your scalps into a reward we are guaranteed by the Flaming Fist. We feel their ways are too cruel but we understand they cannot take every bandit prisoner. So if you are too much hassle to keep alive, you know your fate. Your life is on the line, for us, you are naught but a roadblock at best.

Senna says this with the cold air of a killer. She is unsure if she believes her own words in this, but the priest would prefer not to be tested.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

"Uhh, okay, so.." Loog puts up a hand, gently, to try to halt Sam from getting the ropes out immediately. "You wan' into the camp easy ye've really go' two choices, prisoner or possible recruit. I'm guessin' you don' wan' to go in a prisoner. Prisoners don' get treated well, no weapons, bound, gagged, blindfolded." He looks across at his sleeping companion, and sighs. "I'm on board with bringin' you in as recruits, wha'ever gets me through the nigh' ya know, but I dunno abou' the rest of them if you tussle them up in ropes. Two more in the tents too." "We tie them up, they'll die from animals or starve. We let them go they could warn the main camp. So you're saying we should just kill them now and leave you alive?" Vala presses the spear a little bit harder into his neck, to emphasise the point. "I mean tha's up to you, but yeah, tha's how I'd do it."
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-01-01 at 03:18 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #204

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

Even before the voice in his head speaks up, Sam wears a disapproving scowl as he listens to Loog talk. "We can't trust him to get us in. Anyone who would so readily turn on his comrades is going to sell us out the moment he is no longer under threat." With a subtle, almost imperceptible nod of agreement, Sam motions again to the rope.

"I don't think I stuttered, Loog. Muzzle the dogs. Everybody else, let's get the rest of them gagged, restrained, and disarmed." He glances aside at Vala and adds, "We should decide what to do after we question the others."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

That would be a grim fate. But from your cold words I can tell you killed before. As did your fellow 'hunters'. the cleric spews the last words.

Killing your comrades now would make this world a better one, it would be merciful and give law and order the time needed to sort out this. You are a treacherous monster, but I agree, Loog. Senna says with a shaking voice.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Caelee seems content to watch and wait through the interrogation and final decisions on the fate of these bandits. Truth be told, she didn't have strong feelings either way on their fate. But looking at the dogs, she suddenly has an idea that she cannot contain. Loog, are there more dogs like this in the main camp? Not wolves, but dogs? She turns to her family and grins. If there are, and we can get within five miles of them, I can find the camp.
    The Bear is Back.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh, prolly yeh?" Loog moves for a moment to scratch his head, but quickly shifts back when Vala twists the spear slightly. "There's six of 'em, two with us, two with 'nother group, so should be two back at camp? Unless they sent another group out. Normally don't send more than two sets of hunters at a time though. Taugozz likes having a few dogs on hand to sniff out anyone dumb enough to try sneakin' in. N...no' tha' I'm sayin' yer dumb o'course." He adds quickly.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #208

BlueKnightGuy

Cheerful Sam

"I'm not killing defenseless people," Sam snaps back at Senna, pushing past her and beginning to restrain the still-sleeping bandit with rope. "If nobody's going to help, I'll do this myself. Can Caelyn at least try to pacify the dogs?"

Circling and swooping down, Grepha lands just outside of the tents and peeks inside, moving to quietly divest those inside of any nearby weapons in case they wake up.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Grepha Stealth with Invisibility Advantage?
    (1d20+5)[11]
    (1d20+5)[18]

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Senna
    Human Arcana Cleric

Not pushing back on Sam's principles, Senna watches them do their deeds.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Caelyn Syol'arael
    Wood Elf Druid
    Concentrating on:

Oh! Yes, I can do that. Caelee points her white birch arrow at the dogs, whispers a few words in Druidic, and attempts to make some new friends.

Show
    Upcasting Animal Friendship with a second level slot to pacify both dogs. DC 15 (1d20)[1] and (1d20)[13].
    The Bear is Back.